Saturday's US Action *Full BU Results
LRC Galen Rupp Runs 3:50.92 Mile To Become Fifth-Fastest Indoor
Miler Who said Galen Rupp has no speed? The endurance king has become the speed king the last two years and Rupp showed it on Saturday by running 3:50.92 in Boston to become the 2nd-fastest American indoor miler ever behind Bernard Lagat. *Videos
On The Boards: *Rupp runs 3:50!!
*any updates on the BU elite mile?
*Rupp is the 5th fastest indoor miler in history
updated Mary Cain Smashes High School Mile Record By Running 4:32.78 Cain breaking the record may have been expected considering she ran 4:11 last year outdoors for 1,500 (roughly 4:31 for a mile), but Debbie Heald's old record (4:38.5) was the longest record on the books for high school women (from 1971) and Cain absolutely crushed it - and we use that term knowing it is way over-used in track but well-deserved here. In the men's mile, Robby Andrews faded to 4:11.
*What's better than having an Olympian for a coach? Having two: With Salazar Living On The Other Side Of The Country, NZ 2004 Olympian John Henwood Has Been Administering Her Workouts In NY
*Video Interview With Mary Cain
OTB: Mary Cain 4:32.78
*Other HS: MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: Edward Cheserek Wins NB Invite Mile In 4:10.92
*Q&A With Edward Cheserek Asking A Lot About His Move To The US From Kenya
*Sarah Baxter Named Gatorade Runner Of The Year For XC, Presented To Her By Allyson Felix
Oregonian's Ken Goe Against High Price Pay Per View Track Broadcasts
Osaka Marathon, Kenyan Prison XC, NACAC XC *Full NACAC Results *Prison XC
- Carlsbad: In His Half-Marathon Debut, Stephen Sambu Wins Carlsbad In 1:03:02 Over Jordan Chipangama (1:04:10) And Tesfaye Alemyehu (1:04:14) Belianesh Zemedkun Gebre won the women's half in 1:12:10 as Mario Macias and Lauren Kleppin were the full marathon winners in 2:19:43 and 2:42:17. *Full
- NACAC XC Champs: Craig Forys Outkicks Cam Levins To Win The NACAC XC Champs, Leading The US Men To The Team Victory Matthew Forys was 4th and Simon Bairu 9th for Canada. The US women finished 2nd to Canada in the team scoring; Mary Kate Champagne was the top US runner in 4th.
*Jamaican Article/Recap With Some Quotes
*Coach Blames "Lack Of Preparation" And Training On The Home Course For Disappointing Jamaican Performances At NACAC
- Kenyan Prison XC Champs: Timothy Kiptoo Defends His Title At Kenyan Prisons XC Champs, Beating Field That Included Africa XC Champ John Mwangangi (8th) & Silas Kiplagat (11th) Eunice Kioko (mother of 7 children!) won the women's race running barefoot. *Deeper
- Osaka Women's Marathon: Ukraine's London Olympics 5th-Placer Tetyana Gamera-Shmyrko Wins Osaka In 2:23:58 Kayoko Fukushi was the top Japanese in 2nd place with 2:24:21, but missed out on the 2:24 standard to get an automatic team spot for the Moscow 2013. *IAAF
- Jamaica: Olympic 100m Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce And Nesta Carter Get 100m Wins At Queen's/ Grace Jackson Meet In Jamaica Shelly-Ann ran 11.47 and Carter 10.59.
- Other: Lolo Jones Wins Gold At Bobsled World Champs
- Yuki Kawauchi Breaks Stage Record At Okumusashi Ekiden Running 13:00 For 4.679k It was his fourth race and third win this year. He races the Beppu-Oita Mainichi Marathon this Sunday.
- Olympic PV Champ Renaud Lavillenie Sets WL At 5.92 In French Indoor Meet Beating Out Germany's Bronze Medallist Raphael Holzdeppe
- Kenya’s Albert Rop and Ethiopia’s Eleni Gebrehiwot Win ING Eurocross Races In Diekirch, Luxembourg
- Good Track Perfomances In Volgograd/Moscow: Yelena Kotulskaya Wins 800 in 2:01.38 OverAlena Glazkova (2:01.58) & Olga Kucherenko Goes 6.90m In The LJ In 1500m action Vladimir Smirnov ran 3:38.67 to beat Kenya’s Collins Cheboi (3:39.81) and Anna Shchagina ran the 2nd fastest time in the World this year in 4:09.95.
- Russia's Olympic Champ Ivan Ukhov Wins Moravia HJ Tour Meet In The Czech Republic After A Close Battle With Bronze Medallist Mutaz Essa Barshim Reigning World champ Jesse Williams had a horrible day with 2.18m for 12th place. Italy's World Junior champ Alessia Trost won for the women.
- Dresden, Germany: Poland's 2009 World PV Champion Anna Rogowska Sets World Lead At 4.63m
- Elroy Gelant and Lebo Phalula Win South African XC Trials
- Steve Vernon Wins UK's Northern Men's XC Championships
London Does It Again
LRC 2013 Virgin London Marathon Field Released - Is This The Greatest Men's Marathon Field In History? All we can say is - Wow! The course record holders of all
majors, the Olympic
champ, the WR holder - you name it, they got it. And one the women's side? How about the debut of Tirunesh Dibaba plus 4 of the 5 non-pregnant sub-2:20 runners from last year? So sick.
*Reuters: Dibaba To Race In London Marathon *Discuss
LRC Mary Keitany Is Pregnant With Second Child, Will Miss 2013 London Marathon And Season
Oregon Indoor Mile Record Holder Mac Fleet Is Pumped To Be back On Track After 2 Years Of Injuries Things were so bad last year, he started drinking heavily and tried to tear his plantar on purpose.
Rest In Peace Will Steele - aka "The Cancer Guy"
LRC Celebrating The Life Of "The Cancer Guy" Will Steele Will Steele was running 18 minute miles last year. And never has there been a more inspirational runner on LetsRun.com. We pay our respects to this great man who contributed so much to the LetsRun.com community and lost his battle with cancer one month ago on Christmas eve.
Big Race News: Ritz Running US XC, Mo Farah Running New Orleans Half, Olympic Stadium Will Host T&F This Summer
- Dathan Ritzenhein Added To Field For US XC Championships On Feb. 2nd The field also includes Matt Tegenkamp, Chris Derrick and Bobby Mack. Women's field includes Shalane Flanagan, Deena Kastor and Kim Conley.
- Mo Farah To Run Rock 'N' Roll New Orleans Half Marathon On February 24 In His First US Race Since The London Games
- London Diamond League Meet Moving From Crystal Palace To The Olympic Stadium And Will Take Place On The Anniversary Of The 2012 Opening Ceremony (6/27) Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis say they hope to compete, but Bolt still won't be there due to UK tax laws.
- Jamaica Hoping To Host A Diamond League Meet In 2014
- Big Sur Marathon Admits It Spread False Drug Testing Rumor When It Had No Intention Of Actually Testing
More Running Website/Meet Broadcasting News
- Ken Goe: "Once Again, The PAC-12 Networks' Reach Exceeds Grasp" PAC-12 says no one else can stream the meets, even though they don't intend to.
- TrackFocus' Explanation Of The Current Situation With PAC-12 And Track Broadcasting Rights The good news is the University of Washington will now broadcast its meets themselves. Downside is the PAC-12 network doesn't allow for archiving of the video.
- RunnerSpace Founder Says DyeStat Should Be Up And Running Next Month
Want To Watch A Live Stream Of The New Balance Games Or The Armory Collegiate Invitational? It Will Cost You $20 And just think many of you complained that the entire Diamond League Series on UniversalSports.com was too much at $25 with individual meets just $1.99. In our book this doesn't seem to be about track fans, but about getting parents to pay.
Looking Ahead To Next Month's Tokyo Marathon And Beyond
- Feb. 2nd: Meseret Defar And Bernard Lagat Highlight Fields For Karlsruhe 3,000 Lagat will face a deep field in World Indoor medalists Augustine Choge and Edwin Soi as well as 3rd fastest 3ker all-time Yenew Alamirew (7:27.80).
- Eilte Field Released For 2013 Tokyo Marathon, The Newest Addition To The Marathon Majors The field is led by 4 sub-2:05 runners in Dennis Kipruto Kimetto (2:04:16), James Kipsang Kwambai (2:04:27), Dino Sefir (2:04:50), and Jonathan Kiplimo Maiyo (2:04:56). The top Japanese male is Olympian Arata Fujiwara. The women are led by Irina Mikitenko (2:19:19 PB), Bezunesh Bekele (2:20:30) and Aberu Kebede (2:20:30). *IAAF
- London: Wilson Kipsang Will Defend His London Marathon Title Against Abel Kirui, Emmnauel Mutai, Martin Lel And Tsegaye Kebede Talking about the Olympics, Kipsang said, "I have to change my strategy because if you kick early you run the risk of getting swallowed at the end."
- June: Usain Bolt Will Return For Third Straight Year To Race The 200 At The Bislett Games In Oslo In June
*Bolt Says He Wants Another Three Gold Medals At The 2013 World Championships
- The World's Oldest Marathoner Fauja Singh (101) Will Run The Hong Kong 10k Next Month As His Last Race
- There's Still A Chance The Olympic Stadium Could Be Used To Host Some Sport Events This Summer
Millrose Mile Fields Announced
- Millrose Announces Field For 2013 Wanamaker Mile: Matt Centrowitz Will Defend His Title Against Lopez Lomong And Robby Andrews Also in the field are Miles Batty, Donn Cabral, Garrett Heath, Jordan McNamara, Ryan Hill, Lawi Lalang, Chris O'Hare, Mitch Goose and Irish Olympian Ciarán O'Lionaird. The women's race features Abbey D'Agostino, Jordan Hasay, Emma Coburn, Ashley Higginson, Delilah DiCrescenzo, Emily Infeld, Sheila Reid and high schooler Mary Cain.
- Matt Centrowitz Thinks He's In Shape To Go For Bernard Lagat's Wanamaker Mile Record And Maybe Even American Record Lagat's Wanamaker Mile record is 3:52.87 and his AR is 3:49.89. However, it needs to be noted that Lagat set his Wanamaker record at Madison Square Garden, while Centrowitz will be at the much faster track at the Armory.
- Centrowitz Says His Recent Workouts Have Been "Faster Than Anything I Could Imagine" Coming Out Of College
- Good RW Q&A With Abbey D'Agostino On Being Added To Millrose Mile Field Come NCAAs, she'll probably be shooting for the 3k.
US News: Great Quotes From Brett Gotcher And Erik Kynard
- Olympic Trials 5th Placer Brett Gotcher Racing Rotterdam Marathon On April 14th Gotcher: "It's hard [not running Boston] because it is a big part of your yearly income, but I feel like at some point you just have to make a sacrifice for the greater goal, which is to run fast."
- Kansas State's Erik Kynard Won't Let Winning An Olympic Silver Medal Affect His Competitiveness "I won't let victory defeat me. Victory can defeat athletes. ... You go into competitions expecting everyone else to move out of the way. I don't expect the Red Seas to part for me, and I don't expect anyone to bow down."
- Jesse Williams Says Size Doesn't Matter "Almost in every big competition I'm the shortest and usually the heaviest or closest to it, which I take pride in."
- Brooks Running Company Pledges Continued Commitment To Developing Athletes And The Sport Of Running They've started a Seattle-based middle distance team which includes Matt Scherer and Mark Wieczorek.
Records Fall At 2013 Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon As Jackson Kiprop Runs 2:09:32 And Valentine Kipketer Runs 2:24:33 Kipketer's 2:24:33 is
fastest time in world in 2013 and new Indian all-comers record. Edit: This press release incorrectly stated that Kipketer's 2:24:33 was a world-leading time. It is actually 3rd fastest in 2013 behind the top two
Houston Marathon, Merima Mohammed (2:23:37) and Buzunesh Deba (2:24:26).
Dying Too Young
LRC 4-Time World Marathon Majors Runner-Up Abderrahim Goumri Has Died At Age 36 The former MAR national record holder at 2:05:30, who once ran 12:50 for 5k and was twice
the runner-up in New York, has been killed in a car accident. Goumri was busted for drugs due to the biological passport last summer.
Former 10k World Record Holder Samson Kimobwa, Who Ran 27:30.47 On June 30, 1977 In Helsinki, Has Died Suddenly At Age 58 Interesting fact - he coached Boaz Cheboiywo in Kenya and went to Washington State. *Wikipedia Page
*IAAF Tribute To Samson Kimobwa And Abderahim Goumri
Houston Marathon/Half Was Sunday
LRC Ethiopians Feyisa Lilesa And Mamitu Daska Win 2013 Aramco Houston Half Marathon The performance of the day belonged to Daska, who was dominant on US soil just as she was in all of 2012. Shadrack Biwott (62:23) and Lisa Uhl (73:28) were the top Americans as Luke Puskedra and Aaron
Braun also broke 63.
LRC Bazuk Worku (2:10:17) And Merima Mohammed (2:23:27) Win 2013 Chevron Houston Marathon Titles The former WJr. record holder picked up marathon win #1 as Andrew Carlson (2:17:16) and Tera Moody (2:39:10) took top American honors.
RRW: Ethiopians Sweep Titles At Cold, Wet 2013 Chevron Houston Marathon & Aramco Half Marathon Includes quotes from Biwott, Carlson, Uhl.
The Smoking Gun.com: Suzy Favor Hamilton Has Been Working As $600/Hour Escort For Last Year SFH, the 3-time Olympian, has
been one of the hottest commodities in the escort business over the last year as she jumped up to a #3 ranking and got rave reviews for her runner's body and for providing
the "full GFE (girlfriend experience)." One client raved, "I would do anything to protect her. ... She is worth every penny. I will go bankrupt before I stop seeing her. I hope no one else goes to see her, because I want her all to myself. ... I never thought I would find anyone in this hobby like her."
*Definitely Not Politcally Correct: Chicago Sun-Times Columnist: SFH isn't alone - lots of female distance runners are total nut jobs SFH had "a glint of ferocity in her eyes, of suppressed danger. I saw the look in many of the Wisconsin middle-distance and long-distance female runners. In my book, I made special note of them, of their lapses into near insanity, of their successes and crashes and eating disorders and dependence on their controlling German head coach, Peter Tegen."
*Suzy Favor Hamilton Issues A Statement
*MB: Suzy Favor-Hamilton: Vegas Escort
2013 Glasgow *Free Mid-D/Distance Race Videos & Results *Full Glasgow Results
LRC Duane Solomon Is The Real Deal - He Breaks US 600 Meter Record With 1:15.70 Win In Scotland
Duane Solomon got rid off Chip Jenkins' record just days before it celebrated its 26th birthday and proved 2012 was far from a fluke. In other action, Bernard Lagat got a win in the 3,000 as Centro was smoked in the 1,500. Plus Geena Gall, Sara Vaughn and more.
*MB: Hrs Later Penn State Sr. Cas Loxsom Just Misses Solomon's New Record When He Runs 1:15.79 He did beat Jenkins' old record of 1:15.80.
- More Glasgow: 2011 World 400H Champ Dai Greene Breaks British 600m Record As He Finishes 2nd Behind Solomon
- Dwain Chambers Wins 60m As Olympic HJ Bronze Medallist Robbie Grabarz Loses HJ To Russian Aleksey Dmitrik Carmelita Jeter lost the 60m to German Verena Sailer as US's Natasha Hastings won the 400 over Brit Perri Shakes-Drayton and Holly Bleasdale won the PV.
- Former 100m World Champion Kim Collins Races And Finishes 2nd In Glasgow 60m In Wake Of His Brother's Death
- Police Report On Collins' Brother's Death, Which Says He Kidnapped His Ex-Wife And Sister And Stabbed A Police Officer Before He Was Shot To Death
- Colins Still Angry With St. Kitts and Nevis Officials For Not Letting Him Race In The Olympic Because He Left Olympic Village To Visit His Wife Collins: "I am the first man to get in trouble for allegedly having sex with his wife."
- Team Results: Russia Took The Overall Win, Tying The US With 58 Points But Winning On The Tie Breaker (Most Individual Victories) GB was 3rd (50 pts), Germany 4th and Commonwealth Select team 5th. *IAAF Recap
- EA Recap Of Glasgow Meet: Russian LJer/Model Darya Klishina Wins With Jump Of 6.44m
- Parlympians Happy That Glasgow Featured Some Paralympic Events
College News *All College Results
- Razorback Invy: *Full Results *Lawi Lalang Runs A World-Leading 7:42.79 To Win Razorback Invy 3,000 Patrick Casey won the mile in 3:56.28 over Tom Farrell as 6 go sub-4. LSU's Natoya Goule wins 800 in 2:03.49 over Charlene Lipsey (2:03.76) and Natalja Piliusina (2:04.35).
* Florida Men And Women 4 X 4s Set World Leads With 3:05.93 And 3:31.68 The Florida women also won the team competition over LSU by one point.
*Arkansas Men Get The Team Win Over #3-Ranked Florida
*Arizona's Edgar Rivera-Morales Wins HJ With A School Record And Mexican National Indoor Record Of 7-5 (2.26m)
*MB: 4 OSU guys Break 4 in the mile!
- Washington: *Full UW Results *Brie Felnagle Wins 3,000 In 8:54.74 As Abbey D'Agostino Is 3rd (8:55.41) And Jordan Hasay Is 4th (8:57.46) Hasay's mark was an Oregon school record; Alex Kosinski was a DNF. In other results, Erik van Ingen won the mile in 4:00.80 over Elijah Greer and Tyler Mulder, Leonard Korir won the 3,000 in 7:59.90 over Donn Cabral (7:59.96) and Hassan Mead (8:00.54), Lucas
won the 800 in 1:50.16 over a now Brooks-sponsored Mark Weczorek (1:50.21) as Cabral ran 1:51.04 in the 2nd heat, Laura Roesler won the 800 in 2:04.66 and OTC's Jemma Simpson the mile in 4:37.96.
*Oregon Women DMR Runs Fast 11:02 Another highlight for the UO team was sophomore Jeramy Elkaim taking running 13:51.20 to win the 5000 when his previous personal best was only 14:54.62.
*MB: Jordan Hasay 8:57.46 3K PR *2013 UW Invitational Is Being Streamed Live & For Free
- Indiana Relays: Andrew Poore Wins Mile In 3:58.85 As Two Others Go Sub-4 And 3 More 4-Flat NCAA Champ Andrew Bayer was back in 7th with 4:05.12.
- Boston: Terrier Live Results *MB: Emily Sisson Just Ran 15:44 - 2013 NCAA 5,000 Leading Times At BU
- PSU: Penn State Men's 4 X 200 Sets Collegiate Record
- Texas A&M Challenge: *Full Results *Kennedy Kithuka's 3:59.53 Breaks Texas Tech School Record As He Is The First-Ever Sub-4 Ebonie Floyd won the 400 in 51.82 as Jessica Beard won the 200 in 23.45. Tabarie Henry won the men's 400 in 46.30.
*MB: Texas DMR 9:31.82
- Michigan: *Full Results *Michigan Men And Women Wolverines Beat Michigan State Spartans In Revival Of Dual Meet Last Competed In 1976 Both meets were close as women's scores were 89-73 and men's 88-74.
*MB: A round of applause for Michigan and Michigan State: Trying to host an exciting T&F Meet!?!
- Lance Armstrong Refuses To Confess To USADA; More Likely He Will Attempt To Work With WADA Or UCI
- Dwain Chambers Hopes Lance Armstrong Can Eventually Be Forgiven For His Deception
*Chambers Says He Hears About Armstrong On The Radio And Thinks, "I know what it's like. I'm glad it's not me."
Other Assorted International Stuff
- Qatar’s First Ever Female Olympian Noor Al Malki (100m) Talks About How Sport Has Changed Her Life For The Better
- Tribute And Farewell To The UK's 2nd Fastest Marathoner Of All-Time Mara Yamauchi As She Retires From The Sport
- South Africa's Women's XC Squad Hoping To Win A Team Medal At World XC Champs In March
- Jamaican Writer Says Hosting A Diamond League Meet Is "Logical" Step And Great Opportunity For Jamaica
- UK Parents And Teachers Say The Government's Failure To Back School Sports Has Left The Olympic Legacy "In Tatters"
*BBC: London 2012 Legacy Promises Are Only Applying To Some Sports (The Ones Who Did Well In London)
- 2:10 Man Yukihiro Kitaoka Leads Field For Japan's Nobeoka Nishi Nippon Marathon On Feb. 10th
- Manteo Mitchell Back In Britain To Run For The First Time Since His Leg-Breaking Olympic Bravery
- Thank God They Asked It & Not Us - Carmelita "The Jet" Jeter Can't Fly Away From The Doping Question Jeter refused to answer the following question: Did Lance Armstrong's confession make "it harder to convince people that athletes in other sports were clean?" Her answer: "Well, I'm going to stay away from anything with that question, thank you."
February Racing: Edward Cheserek Racing The Elite 2-Mile At Millrose Along With Bernard Lagat And Dathan Ritzenhein
*Ritz Jokes: "I hope I am ready because I don't want to get beat by a high school runner." Ritz said he hasn't run indoors in nine years and hasn't raced at any distance under 5k in six years.
*RRW Interview With Abbey D'Agostino Ahead Of Her Millrose Debut On Jan. 13th she ran a then world-leading PR of 4:34.15 on Dartmouth's flat 200-meter track.
*Preview/Entry Lists For HS Races At Feb. 2nd Boston Indoor Games: Meet Features Very Deep Girls Mile
Ajee Wilson Goes Pro With adidas
- Ajee Wilson Goes Pro With adidas She previously had said she was only deferring college for a year, but now she will defer indefinitely.
- Ajee Wilson Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Setting The World Junior 600m Record At 1:27.30
- Other Junoir News: Edward Cheserek Named Gatorade Runner Of The Year For XC Cheserek was surprised with the award at school by Dathan Ritzenhein.
Other Upcoming Races
- Feb 3rd: Mohammed Aman (The Only Man To Have Beaten David Rudisha In The Past 2 Years) Added To Russian Indoor 600 Field The World indoor record (1:15.12) could be under threat as the field includes Olympic 800 silver/bronze medallists Nijel Amos and Timothy Kitum and 2004 Olympic champ Yuriy Borzakovskiy. The women's PV is also competititve with Olympic medallists Yarisley Silva, Fabiana Murer and Holly Bleasdale.
- April 14th: Haile Gebreselassie Going For His Third Straight Vienna City Half Marathon Victory Last year he ran 60:52 and the year before a CR 60:18.
LRC Lukas Verzbicas' Comeback Continues With 21:02 4-Mile Win We're calling this kid "The Real Lance" as he is a comeback-from-near-death athlete you can believe in.
Who Says It's Just January? *Full UW Results
LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:02.10 For 3,000 - Arguably The Greatest Distance Performance In High School History
MB: *Cain 9:02!!!
*Mary Cain 9:02!!!
*How many boys state 3200/2 mile can mary cain win?
*NOW what do you think about a Baxter-Cain face-off at 3200 / 2-mile? Hmmmm?
RIP John Thomas And Steve Lynn
Former HJ WR Holder And USATF Hall Of Famer John Thomas Passes Away At 71 Thomas won silver and bronze Olympic medals and when he was only 17, became the first person to clear 7 feet indoors.
*RR: Rip John Thomas: Toni Reavis Blogs On The "Passing Of A Hero"
*Video Of John Thomas' Historic 1959 Millrose Games WR HJ Meet director Howard Schmertz: "That was my No. 1 most memorable moment in Millrose history. It brought the house down. It was the loudest roar I ever heard at the Garden. Any sport."
*Former Iowa State Track Coach Steve Lynn Dies At Age 61
Olympic 100m Bottle Thrower Convicted
Guilty: Men's 100m Bottle Thrower Is Convicted Sounds like due to his mental illness, he'll get a slap on the wrist, but the judge's reasoning was sound: "The video, in my view, quite clearly shows Mr Gill-Webb checking to see if he is under observation before taking the risk of throwing the bottle. I am sure that he was at that point weighing up the chances of being caught before throwing
in an effort to disrupt the start of the race and put off Usain Bolt. I am sure, therefore, that he was at that point acting rationally and wrongly."
*MB: OJ Simpson may have gotten off but the Olympic bottle thrower is convicted!!
Video: Kenyan Runner Edwin Kipsang Rotich Was Attacked During Brazil's New Year's Eve Kings Run 10k, But Still Went On To Win Police said the attacker has a history of mental problems and doing stunts like this. Rotich was unfazed at the finish as he didn't even mention the attack in his post-race interview. *Longer Video
Recommended Watch: Very Well Done Documentary On Ryan Vail On The Life Of A Professional Runner "This is my job. It's not about, 'I don't feel like running today' because everyone doesn't feel like going to work today. So I just say, 'This is better than a 9 to 5. Get out there and do your work today. This is going to work. Just get out there and do it.'"
Random US News: Lauren Fleshman Responds To You
- Lauren Fleshman Responds To LRC MB Posters: "Why I'm No Longer With Nike" Fleshman responds directly to LRC message board posters who came up with "several interesting speculations" as to why and how she left Nike.
US News: Adam Nelson On His Way To Becoming An Olympic Champion
- Good News: 4 Throwers From 2004 Athens Olympics Officially Stripped Of Their Medals After Doping Retests *2nd Article
- Which Means ... Q&A With Adam Nelson, Who Stands To Be Upgraded To Gold After Official IOC Announcement Stripping Yuriy Bilonog Of His Medal "To be honest, it feels really strange and it's a weird feeling. I've heard the rumors before and have not given the rumors much credit until an official ruling. Now that it's happened I'm excited. It is all just sinking in. You know, I feel I excited as I did to not lose that event [in 2004]; I was second on a tie-breaker. I feel good that I will always be the person who threw farthest on that day."
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Reintroduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
Heald's Incredible 1972 Race
More On Heald:
*2002 LA Times Feature
*1972 Sports Illustrated
*1967 Faces In The Crowd At Age 11
From The MB:
*16-year-old Debbie Heald takes down the Russians, sets AR in 1972
*No Wikipedia entry for Debbie Heald ...
*1972 USA vs. USSR: 16-year-old wins the women's mile in a national record. (still standing)
*1972 Video Of Debbie Heald
Run, Recover, Run More
LRC Runners Recover Better And Hopefully Stay Injury Free With These Two Products From The 2012 Running Event Wejo talks about some of the injury prevention products he saw at the The Running Event, which include better methods for massage, icing, and compression.
The Running Event Is In The Books *Photos
LRC The 2012 Running Event Is In The Books: Five Takeaways On The Industry Shark Tank's Daymond John Speaks The trade show for specialty running shops was last week in Austin, Texas and LRC's Wejo was there plus Ryan Hall,
Meb Keflezighi, and most of Saucony's top athletes. The running industry should be renamed the "how to not get injured" industry. Some take-aways from the convention.
*Press Release: The Running Event 2012 Attracts 2,100 To Austin
Rupp's 3:50.92 Mile, More Here
RIP 1952 Olympian Charlie Capozzoli
RIP Old Charlie Capozzoli – 1952 Olympian 5,000 Meters; 1952 NCAA X-C Champ Capozzoli passed away last week at the age of 81. His last ever interview was done by Gary Cohen earlier this month and can be found here.
News Of Interest
- Good Read: Starting In The Fall, adidas Will Pay Ajee Wilson's Tuition At Temple University As Part Of Her Deal Going Pro This is the same route Allyson Felix took out of high school when she signed with adidas and had her full tuition paid to Southern California.
- Good Article On Asafa Powell Running Aussie Stawell Gift Race Suggesting He Has A Chance At Being Only 3rd Athlete In History To "Win Off The Scratch" Powell has said he wants to be the first man to go sub-10 100 times. He's at 88.
- Want To Immigrate To The UK? You Better Know Who Jessica Ennis Is As That's A Question On Their Citizenship Test
- Nike Fails In Latest Attempt to Obtain Trademark Protection In China For Liu Xiang's Name It's too similar to an existing trademark registered by a clothing company back in 1986. So Nike will have to pay up if they want to buy it.
- Part 2 Of RunnerTribe Q&A With Olympian David McNeil Talking About Coming Back From Injury To Get 2012 "A" Standard
Dubai Marathon: The Fastest Marathon In History Is Over *Top 20 Results *Full Searchable Results
LRC What A Finish: Ethiopia's Lelisa Desisa Wins 2013 Dubai Marathon In 2:04:45 As A Record 5 Men Break 2:05
The first big race of the year resulted in a crazy finish as four guys were left at 42km and sprinted for glory and $200,000 over the final 200. Desisa, who made a name for himself on the US circuit in 2010 and 2011, is now world famous as he destroyed the field in arguably the greatest finish in marathon history. His final 200 was possibly an incredible 25-point! Yes, that's right. Humans seemingly now need a 25-point final 200 to win a 2:04 marathon!!! The runner-up destroyed the world
junior record with a 2:04:48. Unreal.
*Highlights Video *AP Recap
Japan HS Coach Caught Using Corporal Punishment And Keeps Job
- People Who Complain About Their Coaches Should Read This: Corporal Punishment Uncovered On Japanese High School Powerhouse Ekiden Team This is not a first time offense as he was "reprimanded" in 2009 for beating runners with a deck brush, forcing some to get stitches for head injuries.
- Ridiculous: 12 Members Of Toyokawa Kogyo H.S. Ekiden Team Confirmed Beaten By Head Coach, 2 Leaving School As Consequence He hit one student so hard that he damaged an eardrum and needed two weeks of treatment, but the other team adults supported him and the school let him keep his position, "urging him to exert more self control in his leadership."
Assorted Other News
- Updates To Field For Feb. 3rd Russian Indoor Meet: Silas Kiplagat Leads 1,500 Field Against Daniel Komen And Mekonnen Gebremedin US's Olympics 100H bronze medallist Kellie Wells is in the 60m hurdles.
- Jessica Ennis Might Pay Her Coach Herself After He Lost His Full-Time Job With UK Athletics
Remembering Will Steele: "The Cancer Guy" Talks About Being Diagnosed And Living Life (Much More Here)
Pros In The News: Dayron Robles Retiring?
- 2008 Olympic 110H Champ Dayron Robles Says He Will No Longer Compete For Cuba He said he is through running for Cuba but offered no other details in a "brief telephone interview."
*This Article Says That Robles Is Retiring With Quotes From Top Officials
- Watch Company Designs $620,000 Watch Specially For Yohan Blake
- Asafa Powell Won't Try Racing Indoors Again This Season, But Will Compete At Australia's Stawell Gift On March 29th
Week That Was
LRC The Week That Was: More Lance, Shoe Company Talent, A Cool Video, Photo And More We've got a cool video from France of Mo Farah, Galen Rupp and Dathan Ritzenhein, a cool photo from the Nike campus, some Hansons-Brooks news, and we delve further into everything Lance and what can be done about cleaning up the sport. Plus Ireland, the Euro XC champions, waves the white flag on World XC.
Recent Results: Nick Willis Runs An Early 3:58 In NZ
- Nick Willis Wins Cooks Classic Mile In NZ In 3:58.09; Will Run A 3k On Friday Stony Brook All-American and 1,500m Olympian Lucy Van Dalen won the women's race in 4:36.07.
Webb Back In Portland
Confirmed: Alan Webb Has Returned To Portland, Joined Jerry Schumacher's Group And Is Focused On 5/10k Flotrack's Ryan Fenton caught up with the American mile record holder on his 30th B-Day, as a more mature Webb
talked about his recent struggles and the decision to switch to his 4th coach in the last 3.5 years. We give you the highlights as we know most of you don't have 22 minutes to spare. A great read (or watch) depending on how much time you have.
MB: Webb Training in Schumaker's Group, to Focus on 5k/10k in 2013, eventually the Marathon
MB: Happy Belated 30th Bday Alan Webb
A Great Guest Column
PJ Browne A Woman I Used To Know - Suzy Favor Hamilton Guest columnist PJ Browne reflects on Suzy Favor Hamilton and depression in a Recommended Read. "What I can now say about depression is that the irrational and the bizarre become the norm. There is no blueprint in a hit and miss mixture of drugs, incarceration and therapy. In my case, Zoloft turned me into a daring, brazen individual much to the embarrassment of my family."
Ryan Hall Speaks
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About Cam Levins' 190-Mile Weeks And Is Impressed Hall: "It's working for him. My hat's off to him. He inspires me. That's why I started following him on Twitter. I feel like I'm training hard and I'm not doing nearly that kind of training."
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About His Running Shoes Hall says he has different shoes for every speed he runs and that he has an "unhealthy attachment" to the Asics Gel Hyper Speed.
LetsRun.com's 2012 Year In Review
LRC We Say To You The Visitor, "Thanks A Million" For Making 2012 A Record Year For Us Now that the college football bowl season is over, the year is over in our mind and it's time to recap the special year we had in 2012. No matter how you look at it, 2012 was a record year for LetsRun. Unique visitors were up 38.55% and for the first time we surpassed a million unique visitors in a given month. Read the article to find out what our 5 busiest days were, what our 5 least busy days were, our most popular articles, most popular threads and more. Guess what day generated the most page views. Hint: it wasn't even a day during the Olympics or US Olympic Trials.ce Armstrong continues and we wonder if Ashton Eaton would be nothing more than a D3 football star had he stuck with the gridiron. And Jacob Hernandez calls it quits.
Meb And The Mental Side Of Running
LRC Meb Keflezighi Talks About Getting His Start In Running, The Mental/Physical Breakdown Of The Sport Meb: "I really believe during preparation it's 90% physical, 10% mental. When the gun goes off it's 90% mental and 10% being healthy."
TodaysMiles.com Launches On LetsRun.com
Today's Miles Launches The running world has got 3.1*, 13.1 and 26.2 stickers. Todaymiles.com takes that concept to running apparel. Want to celebrate that 26.2 you did? Do it. Want to run 20 minutes and wear a 20 mile shirt? You can do that, too. More info here.
2012 Foot Locker Boys Photo Gallery (Updated)
2012 Foot Locker Legends Pre-Race Photo Gallery
IAAF Gala Photos: The Stars Of Track And Field Are Beautiful People
NCAA Cross Photo Galleries (Captions Now Added)
Beautiful People: NCAA Banquet Photos (Click On Photo)
Back To Top18-Yr Old Ethiopian Muktar Edris Gets The Win Over A Deep Field In Campaccio XC Race As Kim Conley Gets 4th For The Women He beat out John Kipkoech (12:49 5000) and sub-27 man Geoffrey Kirui by less than a second
as Moses Kipsiro was 4th, Leonard Komon 8th, Euro XC Champ Andrea Lalli 9th and Scott Bauhs 10th. Debele Degefa won the women's race in a
close sprint with Afera Godfay as Conley was 4th and two-time World steeplechase bronze medallist Milcah Chemos 6th.