No Fall Marathon For Stephen Kiprotich
Olympic Marathon Champion Stephen Kiprotich Talks About What He's Been Up To And Why He Won't Run A Fall Marathon "It is simple: I am not ready for it. It is only two months ago since I won in London. Recovering from a marathon takes time, you know." Taking time to recover instead of rushing for a quick payday. That's the attitude that makes you Olympic champ.
- From The Weekend: Rennes Men's 10k & Women's 5K: New Delhi Marathon Winner Edwin Kipyego Wins 10k In 27:50 Ethiopian Buze Diriba won the 5k in 15:14.
US News: Christian Hesch To Do Interview Answering Your Questions
- Airs Monday: Christian Hesch To Be Interviewed On The Trailer And You Ask The Questions Send in your questions (anything you want) by Friday, 8:00 A.M. EST.
- Final Part Of Liam Boylan-Pett's Article On Sam Bair III And His Quest To Join His Father As A Sub-4 Miler Blair III: “It was funny. I didn’t feel like I ran that great of a race. It’s such a weird concept. I only had to come down 2 tenths of a second. If I would have done that in any other event, even the 800 where it would be more impressive to drop time, it wouldn’t have even mattered. It’s a barrier, and you need to run under, so you’ve got to do it.”
- Bill Rodgers Running Center To Close
- Julie Culley Will Make Her Marathon Debut At The NYC Marathon She says she wants to go at least sub-2:34 and use this as a "springboard" for the 2013 track season. She'll need to be careful coming off it though; that was Lauren Fleshman's plan last year too.
- Erik Van Ingen Is The Newest Member Of The OTC He's known for famously diving to win in a couple races. Van Ingen: “People say, ‘Oh, you dove. You look like a jackass.’ But yeah, I dove, and I got what I wanted.”
- Renee Metivier Baillie Was Excited By Her Chicago Finish Of 2:27:17 Which Was The 5th Fastest American Marathon Debut Ever She says she now thinks of herself as a "marathoner" and plans on running another one in the spring.
- Q&A With Molly Pritz Who Will Return To The NYC Marathon After Finishing As The Top American Last Year She finished 12th place with 2:31:52 in her debut last year.
- T&F News Video Interview With Dathan Ritzenhein Post Chicago
- Video: Walter Dix Answers Fans' Questions And Talks About His Comeback From The Injury That Took Him Out Of The US Trials *Part 2
- Last Night's Episode Of NYRR's "On The Run" Travels To Iten, Kenya To Meet With Edna Kiplagat
- Sonia Friend-Uhl And Timothy Gore Win US Masters 5k Cross Country Champs
- Rudin Family to Receive NYRR’s Abebe Bikila Award For "Outstanding Commitment And Contributions To The Sport Of Distance Running"
- DII Updated National Cross Country Rankings *DIII
NYC Marathon And Pro US News
Rec. Read: Lengthy
NY Times Piece On NYRR President Mary Wittenberg: "Running INC" Since taking over at the NYRR, Wittenberg has more than doubled the club's revenue. No one in our opinion has done more to promote running as a pro sport in America. Most of the criticism in the article is from those who say the NYRR has gone too far from the "grass roots" the club started with.
Wittenberg: "We're not sorry we're successful. To our critics, we say, we want you to come along."
*Mary Wittenberg To Receive Sports Leadership Award From The March Of Dimes New York Division
*MB: Wittenberg article in the NY Times
- RR: Good Article On Meb Keflezighi Talking About His 4th Place Finish In London And The Upcoming NYC Marathon "I really believe I can win New York again ... I still believe I can run 2:07, 2:08 on this course." He also doesn't rule out trying to make it to Rio 2016.
- Ian Dobson To Coach Elite Team in Eugene
- After A Collegiate Career Full Of Injuries, Alex Kosinski Is Now With The OTC And Looking To Finally Stay Healthy
- Shalane Flanagan On The World Half Marathon Champs: "I ran like a complete turd."
- Michael Phelps Will Watch His Sister Compete In The NYC Marathon But Says He Couldn't See Himself Ever Doing It
- Defending Champion Firehiwot Dado Pulls Out Of The NYC Marathon With An Injury
- October 28th: Interesting Matchup Between Tariku Bekele And Abel Kirui At The Bupa Great South Run 10 Miler Kirui finished runner-up behind Leonard Komen last year. Ireland's Alistair Cragg also in field. The women's field is led by Brits Jo Pavey, Claire Hallissey and Julia Bleasdale.
More Results From The Weekend
Toronto Waterfront Marathon: In Wet And Windy Conditions, Sahle Warga Becomes The First Ethiopian Winner In The Race's 23-Year History After all the talk of a big bonus for the 2:07 CR, Warga won in 2:10:36. Everyone fell off the pace that went out in 1:03:41. Favorites Kiplimo Kimutai and John Kiprotich took 2nd and 3rd (2:11:20 & 2:11:29).
NZ's Mary Davies won the women's race with 2:28:56 as the favorite Agnes Kiprop went out in 34:14 for 10k and 1:11:30 at the half, but fell way off and took 2nd (2:29:30).
*Ed Whitlock Sets Age 81 World Record At 3:30:29 And we guess it's the month for weird marathon records as a guy set the WR for fastest marathon dressed as a superhero (2:33:58) ... obviously he was the Flash.
- Carpi Marathon And Trento 10K: Ethiopian Kasaye Sisay Lemma Wins In Carpi With 2:11:58 2008 5k bronze medallist Edwin Soi won the Trento 10k in 28:43 over World Junior 5,000 champ Muktar Edris (28:45) and 5,000 Olympic bronze medallist Thomas Longosiwa (28:48).
UK News: Paula Loses Her Funding
- It's Official: Paula Radcliffe Loses Her UKA Lottery Funding
- Paula Says She Wasn't Surprised To Lose Her Funding, But Has No Plans To Retire "I'm not doing all this cross-training and getting this foot healthy and strong for nothing."
- Many Other Big Name Athletes In The UK Lose Their Funding, Whiles Others Such As Adam Gemili Are Added To The List
Weekend Results: Road, Track, XC
- Dickson Kiptolo Chumba Is The Surprise Winner Of The Eindhoven Marathon With A CR 2:05:46 As Pre-Race Favorite Tadese Tola Was 4th (2:08:01) Franklin Chepkwony and Erick Ndiema finished second and third in 2:06:11 and 2:06:17. Aberume Mekuria was the women's winner in 2:27:20.
- Leonard Komon Takes His Third Straight Berlin 10k Victory In 27:46 On A Windy Day
- Ezechiel Nizigiymana (58:12) And Cynthia Jerotich (1:05:36) Win Paris 20k In Rainy Conditions *Results
- The Inaugural Nick Symmonds Springfield 800 Road Race Was This Weekend The fastest time of the day was 2:04.
- Africa Cross-Country Champ Joyce Chepkurui Wins Ndalat 8k XC Race In 26:01 Isaac Korir won the men's 12k in 34:40. *Results
Recommended Read: Liam Boylan-Pett Writes 4-Part Series On Sam Bair III, Who Struggled To Join His Dad As A Sub-4 Miler Bair gained fame for a series of near misses in college with 4:00.14, 4:00.35, 4:00.87 and 4:00.99, but continued the chase post-collegiately.
Ridiculously Deep Fields Set For November 3rd NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k *Full Elite Start Lists
Elite Field Announced For November 3rd NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k And Includes 17 Olympians Men: Chris Solinsky, Alan Webb, Matt Tegenkamp, Lopez Lomong, Evan Jager, Ben True, Andrew Bumbalough, Chris Derrick, Luke Puskedra, Cam Levins, Leonard Korir and German Fernandez. Women: Shalane Flanagan, Kara Goucher, Molly Huddle, Jen Rhines, Lisa Uhl, Kim Conley, Sheila Reid and Neely Spence. *Full Elite Start Lists
Marathon News: Martin Lel Joins NYC Marathon Field
- 3-Time London & 2-Time NYC Champion Martin Lel Added To NYC Marathon Field Lel is one of our favorites. So, too, was Ed Moran, who ran his debut here last year with a 2:11:47, making him the 4th-fastest American in 2011.
- Kenya Enacts New Marathon Selection Policy For Rio 2016, In Which No Athlete Who Has Run A Marathon Within Six Months Of Rio Will Be Eligible The real question now is how many times will Kenya change or go back on this policy before they actually pick their team?
2012 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Top 30 Results/Splits *Live Thread
Men Full Recap Kebede 2:04:38 Course Record, Ritz 9th 2:07:47 updated Tsegaye Kebede scorched the second half in 1:01:44 to run 2:04:38, a course record by nearly a minute. Dathan Ritzenhein ran a more than 2-minute PR of
2:07:47 to become the third-fastest American in history but amazingly that only got him 9th.
Women Full Recap Baysa Edges Jeptoo In A Thriller Two-time Paris champ Atsede Baysa and Rita Jeptoo battled all the way to the line. They both raised their hands but Baysa was the winner. Renee Metivier Baillie's marathon debut was great as she's now #8 all-time in US history at 2:27:17.
LRC Ritz Runs A Big 2:07:47 PR To Become Third-Fastest American And Finish 9th Dathan Ritzenhein ran a solid race to become the third-fastest American ever. That only got him 9th place in the race, but this was a big step in the right direction for Ritz.
10 Years Ago, Paula Radcliffe Raced To A 2:17:18 World Record (with pacing help from LRC's Wejo) Radcliffe is back in Chicago to celebrate.
*Video: Korir Talks: Is There Something About Faith & Successful Distance Runners? A new film, tRANscend, is coming out next summer.
BMW Berlin Marathon *Yahoo Photos *Video Of Berlin Finish
Even If They Fixed The Race, Athletics Kenya Boss Congratulates Mutai And Kimetto The WMM should disband its $500,000 first place gimmicky prize going forward if this is the outcome that is encouraged. LRC's recap and message boarders are quoted extensively in the article.
*Km-By-Km Splits In Berlin Updated
LRC Geoffrey Mutai Wins?* Berlin And World Marathon Major Title In Bizarre Finish (AKA Did Dennis Kimetto Let Geoffrey Mutai Win $500,000?) The 2012 BMW Berlin Marathon was a masterpiece on the men's side until the final 2km. The fastest marathoner ever, Geoffrey Mutai, and his training partner and breakout star in 2012, Dennis Kimetto, were putting on an exhibition, running side-by-side with each 5km faster than the one before it and on world record pace. Then the wheels fell off and there was the sprint for the finish. The problem is the mad dash for home never occurred and that left some wondering what the hell happened? Were they both completely trashed or had Kimetto deferred to Mutai, helping him win $500,000? Aberu Kebede won on the women's side for the 2nd time in a PR of 2:20:30.
- Kimetto: "I was not expecting to finish close to him since I knew I could not beat him, but I'm delighted with today's performance."
- Race Broadcast: "If anything, it may be a pre-planned thing, you know."
- Science Of Sport's Analysis Of Berlin
LRC Does Politics
LRC Meet The Man Who
Changed American Politics Started The Paul Ryan Marathon Controversy LRC Poster and 2:29 marathoner Bill Walker started the thread that made Paul Ryan's marathon time a matter of national discussion. Until now, Mr. Walker has received no
credit for his contribution to the American political landscape. Meet the man behind it all. Plus learn who he's voting for.
Getting High Praise In The Email Inbox:
Mediocre Great Britain: You Lived Up To Your Name "For a country where pessimism is now part of the national consciousness, the Olympics were a resounding success. Not okay, not pretty good, but truly Great ..."
LRC The Incredible Meb Keflezighi Reacts On Just Missing A Medal, Ryan Hall & Abdi Talk About Dropping Out Post-race reaction from the Americans and the medallists. Meb used the fact he was slighted and not introduced to the worldwide audience at the start, even though he was the only Olympic medallist in the field, to fuel him. Ryan Hall reacts to his first
non-top-10 result and Wilson Kipsang says he has no regrets about the 14:11 3rd 5k.
Olympic Marathon: LRC The Unheralded Stephen Kiprotich Of Uganda Stuns The Field And Wins The 2012 Olympic Men's Marathon Uganda's only Olympic medal of the 2012 Games has a great color to it and it came in a historic event, as after getting dropped at the 35km mark (21.7 m), Kiprotich stormed back to the lead at the 23-mile mark and stunned the world and Kenyans Wilson Kipsang and Abel Kirui as the US's Meb Keflezighi was a surprise 4th. Kipsang tried to do his best Sammy Wanjiru impersonation with a crazy 14:11 5k early in the race, but that 5km segment at 1:59 marathon pace may have done him in later.
LRC Mo Farah Completes The Double As The British Fans Go Wild The British fans got what they wanted on the final day of Olympic track competition (marathon tomorrow is on the roads and doesn't end in the stadium) as Farah won a tactical 5,000. Bernard Lagat came up just short in his quest for his first Olympic medal for the US as he was 4th, Rupp 7th and Lomong 10th.
*MB: Official men's 5000m thread *That was the worst 5000m final in an Olympics ever
W 1,500: LRC Disaster Strikes Twice As Morgan Uceny Gets Tripped Again And A Former Doper Wins Gold Disaster struck twice in the 1,500 final. First at the bell when, unbelievably, Morgan Uceny was sent sprawling for the second straight year. It struck again a lap later when a former doper won gold and her compatriot, who has gone from 4:18 to 4:01 this year, nabbed silver.
*Pat Forde: "Saddest sight of the Games"
*Woods: "Half a lifetime of preparation, of dreaming, shattered in an instant."
Bolt Wins 200 To Become A "Legend" Bolt became the first man to win the 100 and 200 at back-to-back Olympics and become a legend in his own words. We thought he was already a legend. After leading the Jamaica 1-2-3 sweep, Bolt trashed Carl Lewis, saying he has "no respect for him" as a result of Carl's thinly-veiled drug allegations at Bolt.
More Bolt-Lewis: *Bolt Rips Lewis
We'll Say This For Athletics Kenya, They Keep Things Interesting
Crazy: Athletics Kenya Issues A One Week Ultimatum To All Foreign Coaches Working In Kenya To Get Out Of The Country AK chairman Isaiah Kiplagat claims that the foreign coaches are responsible for the doping cases in Kenya and that, "These coaches have been extracting blood from some athletes and mixing them with others things to qualify their doping claims."
Other Doping News: South African Sprint Star Tsholofelo Thipe Fails Drug Test
*Doping Cases For Two Jamaican Athletes Who Tested Positive Adjuourned For Silly Reasons Hopefully this doesn't turn into a Costas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou (greek sprinters) situation and get postponed forever.
Christian Hesch/Lance Armstrong Doping News
Game, Set, Match: Nike Cuts Ties From Lance Armstrong, Takes His Name Off Nike Building Yesterday, there were calls for a protest of Nike for their continued support
of the convicted
doper, and even a NY Daily News report
with allegations Nike helped cover up Armstrong's doping. The bad publicity became too much and Nike cut its ties with Armstrong. Kudos to Nike for being the first major sponsor to drop Armstrong. However, if clean sport was a bigger priority for Nike, they would have determined Lance was misleading them years ago. Nike should to a full investigation into the NY Daily News allegations
and into whether Nike employees knew Lance was doping and did nothing about it. *Full Nike Statement
*NY Times: Armstrong Also Steps Down As Chariman Of Livestrong Foundation Armstrong said in a statement he wanted “to spare the foundation any negative effects as a result of controversy surrounding my cycling career.”
- On The Boards: Nike Terminates Lance Armstrong Contract
- Writer Urges Lance To Confess: "If he wants to be remembered for the good he has done or forgiveness for the damage he's caused, now is the time to earn it."
- Even Die-Hard Armstrong Fans Starting To Accept He Doped
- Australia Sacks Coach Who Admitted Doping With Lance Armstrong Team
- Former Pro Cyclist And Current Tattoo parlor Owner Was Pivotal In Bringing Down Armstrong Coincidentally, an investigation into Kayle Leogrande's EPO use led back to Armstrong.
- Hesch stripped of Rock 'n' Roll Providence Half Marathon Title All those who finished behind him will move one place up and receive corresponding prize money.
- However, The Race Director Of A Local 5k Which Hesch Won Twice And Won $1,500 Will Not Strip Him From The Results Club president said, "The club 100 percent doesn't support doping ... But unfortunately there's no way at the smaller local level to test. It's just too expensive. ... The hope is that it's not so prevalent that every little local race needs to be wary."
- Recommended Read: BBC On Little-Known Former Pro Cyclist Scott Mercier, Who Had To Quit The Sport He Loved Because He Wouldn't Dope After USADA's findings came, Mercier's wife called him and said, "Imagine you're sitting down with your son and daughter, explaining hey, daddy's a liar and a cheat.' I don't have to do that."
- UCI Gets Slammed After They Admit To Accepting A $100,000 "Donation" From Lance Armstrong In 2002
- Armstrong's Olympic Medal At Stake: IOC Say They're Waiting To See What The UCI Does Before They Decide Whether Or Not To Take Away Lance's Bronze From Sydney 2000
- Armstrong Ex-Teammate Levi Leipheimer, Who Testified Against Armstrong, Gets Kicked Off His Current Pro Team
- Newspaper Is Considering Pursuing Armstrong For Fraud After They Paid Him $965,000 In A 2006 Libel Case Settlement Over An Article On His Doping
Marathon WR: Patrick Makau's Got Nothing On This Guy With Flip Flops
Some Good Interviews With US Athletes
- Recommended Read: Good Interview With Chris Solinsky On His Comeback, Plans For His Upcoming 5k In NYC And Goal To Make The Worlds Team This Outdooor Season "It still kills me to see people win in a kick. For whatever reason, it just rubs me the wrong way. It was driving me nuts watching those [US Trials] races."
- David Torrence Does Interesting Interview On Reddit, Where The Fans Ask The Questions "I think it is a shame and a disgrace ... At the sub-elite level [Hesch] was competing at, those guys REALLY need the money ... So to see someone like him that cheated those guys that are doing their best to live their dream ... just leaves a sick taste in my mouth."
- Q&A With Tyson Gay: He Says He Still Plans On Trying To Be At The Olympics Again In 2016 Even Though He'll Be 34 "I think coming through all the adversity and the injuries, the rehab I went through, that’s actually made me who I am today."
- After A Hip Injury And 2 Stress Fractures, Ben Blankenship Is Back Healthy And One Of The Newest Members Of The OTC In 2011, he beat NCAA 1,500m champ Andy Bayer, but then was gone for over a year.
- Extensive Interview With US's 1968 Olympic Steeplechase Bronze Medalist George Young Younger runners, you may know him from the Pre movies.
- Lisa Uhl Talks About Why She Left Jerry Schumacher
Christian Hesch Admits To Taking EPO And Other Drug News
- NY Times: Christian Hesch Admits To Taking EPO
a perfect example of how cheating doesn't just happen at the top level of the sport. There are guys who ride under the radar and take away prize money from other deserving clean athletes. And his arguments that he ran the races clean because the EPO was "out of his system" is ridiculous. Doping can benefit you for years.
*Hesch Writes Public Apology For Doping *RW Article Detailing How Hesch Initially Denied Doping
*MB: Christian Hesch doping article in the NY Times/Competitor.com
- Armstrong's Lawyer Challenges Accusers To Take Lie Detector Test, But Then Says Lance "Might" Be Willing To Take One His lawyer said the only reason Armstrong would refuse a lie detector test was because he had "moved on." Yeah, okay.
- In The Wake Of USADA Report, Many (Including WADA President Dick Pound) Are Calling For UCI's Pat McQuaid And Hein Verbruggen To Resign Pound: "It is not credible that they didn't know this was going on. I had been complaining to UCI for years ... they can't be so blind to not know this was going on."
- In Wake Of German Journalist's Report, Kenyan Writer Asks Just How Prevalent Is Kenyan Doping? "Kenya cannot afford to go the Tour de France way, a cycling competition marred by claims of doping infamy."
- Malaysian Track Official Gets Six-Year Ban After Being Found Guilty Of Being Invovled In Two Doping Cases
Pre-Nats And Wisconsin adidas Invitational In The Books - Pre-Nats Results
- Pre-Nats: Colorado Men Dominate As BYU And Oregon Take Second And Third UTEP freshman Anthony Rotich won in 23:01 as Paul Chelimo and Terefe Ejigu were a close 2-3.
*Women Pre-Nats: Florida State Beat Oregon; Wichita State's Aliphin Tuliamuk-Bolton Beats UTEP's Risper Kimaiyo Oregon's Alexi Pappas took 3rd, Bernard Lagat's sister Violah (Florida State) was 4th, and Jordan Hasay rounded out the top 5.
*Colorado Press Release: Men 1st, Women 7th Includes quotes from Mark Wetmore.
- Wisconsin: Top Ranked Wisconsin Men Get Buried As They Finish 17th; Lawi Lalang And Stephen Sambu Go 1-2 In 23:03 & 23:07 Jim and Joe Rosa lead Stanford to the team title as Iona, Oklahoma, and Texas take 2-4. 5th ranked Portland was way back in 12th. Wisconsin finished without returning All-Americans Reed Connor (unattached) and Mohammed
Ahmed (sat out) and Coach Byrne is thinking of redshirting them after this poor team performance.
*MB: OFFICIAL Adidas Wisconson Invite Thread *Who did Maverick Darling get in a scuffle with? *Must be embarrassing to be from Wisconsin right now. *WISCO INVITE & PRE-NATS
- Women's Wisconsin Results Iowa women win the team title as Cal Poly freshman Laura Hollander wins individually. Katie Flood was 29th.
- Chile Pepper: Men's Chile Pepper Results: Oklahoma State Men Win *Arkansas Women Take It *MB: Chile Pepper?!?
- Rankings: Pre-Nationals Weekend Leads To A Ton Of Shuffling In The DI Regional Rankings
Twin Cities And US Women's 10k Champs *Women 10k Champs Results *Twin Cities *San Jose Half
- Monday Tufts: In 10k Debut, Chelsea Reilly Wins US Title At Tufts 10k She's coached by Magdalena Lewy-Boulet (who was 15th in 33:50). Neely Spence was 3rd American (32:45) as Jen Rhines was 5th. Kenya's Hellen Jemutai took the open title in 32:30 after having finished 3rd in the BAA half the day before. *Results
- Twin Cities: Jeanette Faber Sets Her 13th Straight PR At 2:32:38 To Win Twin Cities Marathon On The Race's Coldest Day In 12 Years Past Grandma’s winners Chris Kipyego and Berhanu Girma duked it out, with Kipyego winning in 2:14:55 to Girma's 2:15:04. Sean Quigley was third in 2:15:06 *Full Results
2012 World Half Is In The Books *Results *MB: World Half Thread
Zersenay Tadese Dominates World Half - Wins Record 5th Title Tadese put on a show at the 5k mark and won by 32 seconds.
*LRC US Men, Led By Top-20 Showings By Augustus Maiyo And Luke Puskedra, Finish 4th
*South Africa's Stephen Mokoka Moves From 16th At 15km To 8th At Finish
*Amateur Kawauchi Is Top Finisher & Japan Running News Brett Larner Rips The Entire Japanese System As A Result How can a self-trained guy who has won two marathons in six weeks beat the best of the Japanese corporations?
Ethiopian Women Stun Kenya And Win Individual And Team Titles
The Kenyan women had the five best times in the field but someone forgot to tell that to the Ethiopians, who went 1-2 to win as Meseret Hailu (68:55) edged Feyse Tadese (68:56).
*LRC Shalane Flanagan Falls Off Early - Fades To Disappointing 25th Place Finish As US Women Finish 5th Flanagan went out in the top 10 at a sub-70 pace but ended up in 74:41 as just the third US finisher.
Recommended Read: 27 Years Later, Twin Cities Marathon Record Of 2:10:05 Still Belongs To A Single Father Of Three Who Had A Full-Time Job & Didn't Go College As He Wasn't Fast Enough For A Scholarship
LRC "Non-Running" Running Photo Of The Week
LRC LetsRun License Plate Spotted In Texas: What Does It Mean? A car (Porsche?) in Texas has been spotted with a 26.2 sticker and a LTS RUN license plate. We assume the owner has run a marathon, but more importantly ... do they come to LetsRun.com? Of course they should, but we want your help in unraveling this mystery.
Olympic Track & Field *Daily Schedule/Results *Complete T&F Schedule *LRC Check Prediction Contest Scores/Change Picks
W 5,000: LRC Meseret Defar Stunningly Stops The Coronation Of Tiruneh Dibaba The script was all set. Tirunesh Dibaba was to complete the "Double Double" and become the first women track athlete with four individual golds. Only thing was, the person making history ended up being Meseret Defar.
Could Be Was Epic:
LRC David Rudisha Becomes A Legend By Winning Gold With A World Record In The Greatest 800 Race In History updated David Rudisha went after in London and delivered, as he became the first person to break 1:41 in the 800. The rest of the field went after Rudisha and delivered as well as 7 of 8 runners PRed in a truly epic race where places 1-8 set new all-time best time-for-place marks. Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds became the 2nd and 3rd Americans to break 1:43 and amazingly neither medalled.
*MB: Rudisha 1:40.91 WORLD RECORD!!
*Epstein: How low can Rudisha go in 800?
*Science Of The Sport Analyzes The Olympic 800 Final And Rudisha's Race Strategy
LRC Duane Solomon And Nick Symmonds React To Their Historic Olympic 800s That Leave Them Short Of The Medals The sub-1:43 club has two more Americans. Unbelievably both of them will leave London without medals. Nick Symmonds ran faster in the final than he thought was humanly possible for him.
LRC Column/Editorial: Sarah Attar Makes Olympic Track And Field History For Saudi Arabia In 800m, But Is It Enough? Imagine the outrage if the South African delegation made its black athletes walk behind the whites and told them to not give interviews or mingle with whites."It's time for the IOC to stop supporting sexism. Gender discrimination should be treated no differently than racial discrimination. ... How about for a start, the Saudi women come out first at the closing ceremonies? Come out before anyone else enters the stadium, that would be a step in the right direction."
400 Final: 19-Year-Old Kirani James Wins Grenada's First Olympic Gold In The 400 Luguelin Santos took silver and Lalonde Gordon bronze. Kirani James is Mr. Clutch at age 19. Incredible.
SI: US 400m Dynasty Comes To An End
- Seb Coe Set To Be New BOA Chairman After His Only Competitor Withdraws From Election Race
- Who Will Be The New Head Coach Of UK Athletics? It won't be Charles van Commenee's right hand man Kevin Tyler who was favored for the job, but has decided to leave UKA after his contract expires.
- Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis Get European Athletes Of The Year Awards Neither of them were actually there to accept the awards.
- Olympic Stadium Decision Postponed Even Fruther As Negotiations With West Ham Are Stalled
- Germany: Berlin Or Hamburg Might Make A Bid To Host The 2024 Olympics
Really Random News
- Man Wins 5k In 7:30 While Eating 13 Donuts In the The Donut Dash you get 2 minutes taken off your time for each donut you eat...so he really ran 33:30.
- Valerie Adams Turns Down Opportunity To Have A Boxing Match With Drug Cheat Nadzeya Ostapchuk Organizers of the "Fight For Life" for charity boxing event had been in
contact with both shot putters to try and get them in the ring.
- NewZealand Facing A Shortage Of Starting-Gun Caps Due To A Fire At A Taiwanese Factory; Race Directors Facing Real Problems As They Look For Alternat Apparently they've always been hard to come by in NZ because of their "explosive nature" and NZ gun laws.
- The Runaround Interviews Man Who Ran Marathon WR In Flip Flops Starts at 26:30 into the podcast.
NCAA/HS News: Mary Cain Being "Advised" By Alberto Salazar
- The Next Galen Rupp? Marc Bloom For Running Times: Mary Cain Is Running For Her High School, But Training On Her Own And Being "Advised" By Alberto Salazar
- This Is A Big One: Post-Wisconsin & Pre-Nats DI National Rankings A lot of shuffling after this weekend, but nothing bigger than Wisconsin's fall from 1st to 20th. Their NCAAs will obviously hinge on what Coach Byrne decides to do about redshirts.
*DII Updated Regional Rankings *DIII
Usain Bolt Planning His Next 4 Years
- Recommended Read: SI'sTim Layden Catches Up With Usain Bolt In New York On His Plans Moving Forward; He Would Like To Try LJ But His Coach And Agent Rather He Didn't Due To The High Injury Rate Some great quotes from Bolt on future plans, Tyson Gay, Carl Lewis, and even admitting to "panicking" after he lost to Blake at the Jamaican Trials.
- ESPN Q&A: Talking Business/Sponsorship With Usain Bolt
Usain Bolt Makes SNL Cameo During Vice Pres. Debate Skit *Article
The NYC Marathon Returns To Live Television
ESPN Going All Out On Coverage Of ING NYC Marathon It's a fact sporting events of signifcance are shown on live national TV (or tape delay prime time in case of the Olympics). The ING NYC Marathon is back on ESPN2 this year and ESPN2 is going all out on its coverage announcing today that Sports Center anchors John Anderson and Hannah Storm will lead the broadcast. With the way ESPN works, this also means you'll likely see some pre-race and post-race coverage. Tim Hutchings and others on the broadcast as well. Unfortunately no Toni Reavis.
LetsRun.com T-Shirts Hit The
LRC High School Team Dominates In LetsRun.com T-Shirts If you're going to run fast, you should also look good doing it. That's what the Blue Valley Northwest XC team did in Topeka, Kansas as they sported their new LRC T-Shirts and swept four of the top 10 places last
With Wejo no longer competing, maybe we should sponsor them.
LRC Guest Columnist: Lactic Acid - Is It All That Bad?
LRC From Time Magazine To NBC Commentators: Why is everyone still so confused about lactate (and exercise physiology)? LRC guest scientific contributor, PhD Matthew Goodwin, takes a look at some common exercise physiology misconceptions. His #1 target: The idea that lactic acid causes muscle soreness.
Nick Symmonds' Beer Mile AR
Saturday Photo Gallery: Usain And Mo
Day 7 Olympic Photo Gallery: Rudisha And Bolt
Day 4 Photo Gallery: King James, Felix Sanchez, Jenn Suhr, Women's Steeple
Day 3 Photo Gallery: Men's 100, Men's Steeple, Women's 400, More
Women's Olympic Marathon Photo Gallery
Day 2 Photo Gallery: Olympic 10,000m Final Photo Gallery
A Legend Passes Too Young
LRC Eight-Time US Cross-Country Champion Pat Porter Dies In Plane Crash Updated: We've added a great photo of Porter with 3-time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings.
*Authorities: "There are no indications as to what may have caused this accident." Porter and his 15-year-old son and a neighbohood friend have perished.