You Begged For It, And We Give It To You
LRC The Week That Was Is Back After an Olympic-sized vacation, our beloved weekly recap is back. We start by taking a look back at the Olympics and comment on how it was surprising the US men outperformed the US women, how it was surprising so many gold medallists were asked drug-related questions, and talk about finding the right running/life balance. Along the way we talk about Nick Willis, Lisa Uhl, Lukas Verzbicas and Christophe Lemaitre.
One We Missed: Yuki Kawauchi Ran 2:11:52 To Win The Sydney Marathon And Break The CR By Almost 3 Minutes This was just three weeks after winning the hot and humid Hokkaido Marathon in 2:18:38.
NCAA XC is Here
LRC Preseason Polls: Wisonsin Men, Oregon* Women #1 Mick Byrne's Wisconsin men will be going for their second straight NCAA title and are a strong #1. The Oregon women didn't get the most number of first place votes, but their name recognition made them #1 on the women's side. Got a problem with that? Vote in the next set of polls.
Random But Interesting
- Pretty Funny: Chris Derrick And Kyle Merber Sit Around And Talk About How They Met And Craig Mottram's Balls
- Weird: Spooky New Pics Show Group Of Schoolgirls Pulling Mo Farah and Usain Bolt Poses 70 Years Ago
- 15:04 Guy Sets WR 5k For Running In A Bear Costume: Matt Blume Ran 18:25 In Race That Awards Everyone Who "Beats The Bear" With A Free Pair Of Shoes After hearing horror stories of past bears passing out mid-race from heatstroke, he remembers thinking, "Great. I'm going to die on a street corner dressed as a bear."
- Steve Gathje Has A 40 Year Streak Of Running At Least A Mile A Day "My wife's water broke at 6 in the morning and we got up and got dressed, but she (Laurie) actually said, ‘maybe you should go out and run before we go to the hospital.'''
- 86-Year-Old Woman Is Set To Complete Syracuse 5k Road Race For 20th Consecutive Year It's the USA Masters 5 km Championship and she's the only one over 85, so if she finishes she automatically wins her age group.
- Gallery: List Of The Best, Worst and Downright Absurd Sporting Mascots 2012's Wenlock and Mandeville make the list, but definitely not for being one of the "best".
- Watch Out Jamaica: Safaricom Company Is Committed To Helping Fund Kenyan Sprinters David Rudisha is a big proponent of this as he started his career as a 200/400 runner, but moved up to the 800 because he was "discouraged by so many people about the fate of sprinters in Kenya."
- Kenya's Paralympics 1500m (T46) WR Holder Abraham Tarbei Wants To Compete Alongside Able-Bodied Athletes In The Steeplechase T46 is for athletes with both legs, but are missing an upper limb.
- The Chandaria-Rudisha Running Track To Be Build In Area In Kenya Of David Rudisha's Choosing
- Coach Glen Mills Already Looking To The Future Beyond Bolt & Blake The two superstars won't be around forever and Mills is already looking at developing the youngsters who might be able to replace them.
- Yohan Blake Admits To Being Extremely Nervous At The Olympics "I was really nervous. If you touch me I would have fallen. That’s how nervous I was but I covered it up pretty well."
Another Scientific Study That States What We Already Knew: Study Shows 10% Mileage Rule Is Too Conservative We always knew it shouldn't take 17 weeks to go from 20 to 100.
News From Down Under
*Valerie Adams Gets Her Gold Medal
*Valerie Adams: "I do this for you."
*Adams Will Compete On Home Soil Next Year
*Sally Pearson Is 3rd Most Admired Olympian In Australian History - Might Be Worth $2 Million Per Year "If Sally plays her cards right she will be a household name right into her 70s."
Ethiopia's Mamitu Daska Will Return To Frankfurt Next Month To Defend Her Title And Try To Break 2:20 She set the course record last year at 2:21:59 and will face Bezunesh Bekele.
- From Japan: Toyo University In Training Camp Getting Ready For Japanese Ekiden Season
- Oregon St. Still Needs To Raise $9 Million For Track Program $4 million to finish the stadium and $5 million to endow the team.
ING NYC Marathon Fields
LRC Olympic Champion Tiki Gelana To Face Edna Kiplagat, Sharon Cherop; Mary Keitany Out With Injury Tiki Gelana is hottest marathoner on the planet and she'll be on the streets
of New York in November trying to prevent Sharon Cherop or Edna Kiplagat from winning the $500,000 World Marathon Majors prize. On the men's side, London champ and Olympic bronze medallist Wilson Kipsang will face Moses Mosop.
LRC Wilson Kipsang Vs. Moses Mosop (And Meb) Wilson Kipsang did not win the Olympics (bronze after a crazy early surge) but he may be the best marathoner on the planet. He'll have his hands full with 2:03 guy Moses Mosop in New York. Course record holder and defending NYC champ Geoffrey Mutai will be in Berlin (see below).
Next Week: Geoffrey Mutai Headlines BMW Berlin Marathon
More Post-London Stuff: Another Post-Olympic Doping Story Comes Out, Valerie Adams Finally Gets Her Medal
- Turkish Long Jumper Karin Mey Melis Was Withdrawn From London Final Due To Earlier Positive Test She qualified for the final with a jump that would have placed her 5th, but didn't start the final for what she said at the time was an "injury." *MB Thread
- Kenyan Medallists Cash In: Communications Firm Safaricom Pays Out $204,762 To Kenyan London Medallists David Rudisha and two Paralympians were the top recipients with $23,810 each.
*Kenyan Guide Runner James Boit Rewarded With $23,810 For Guiding Samwel Mushai To The T11 1,500 Gold Medal In London "I'm very surprised! I didn't expect it! I came ready to split the cheque with Mushai."
- Hindsight Is 20/20: Sponsor Regrets Decision Not To Sign Yohan Blake In 2010 Ago As It Cost Him Three Times The Original Amount Once He Became The 2011 World Champ
- Valerie Adams Finally Gets Her SP Gold Medal In Home Ceremony *Ceremony Details
*Video: Adams Gets Interesting Greeting At Airport As She Arrives Home
- SA's Lehann Fourie Is Now Africa's Fastest 110m Hurdler Of All Time, But Before The Olympics Was Close To Quitting The Sport Talking about respect for Aries Merritt: "In February a few of us were having dinner and chatting. After the meal we were offered cakes and Merritt was the only one to decline: 'No, this year I want to be great.'"
- There Was Talk Of Olympic Heptathlon Champ Jessica Ennis Moving To The 100 Hurdles, But Coach Says She'll Stick With The Multis For Rio 2016
- After Going Back To The Track For The Olympics, Brit Jo Pavey Will Focus On The Roads And Is Running Yokohama Women's MarathonThis Fall
- BBC Talks To Paralympic 100m Champ Jonnie Peacock And Teenage Sprint Star Adam Gemili On Their London Experience Peacock says he wouldn't trade his gold medal for even getting his leg back.
- International Paralympic Committee Says London 2012 Was A Huge Online Success, Breaking Records For Its Website And Social Media Channels
- UK Disabled Community Feels Undervalued Despite London 2012 Paralympic Success
- UK Picks Its Team For The World Half Marathon Championships On October 6th Gemma Steel leads the team with a 1:10:46 PR from the Great North Run on Sunday.
More Weekend Results
- The Oldest Road Race In Europe: Olympic 10,000 Bronze Medallist Tariku Bekele Wins The Giro di Castelbuono 10k 5,000 Bronze Medallist Thomas Longosiwa was 2nd. Ezekiel Kemboi was a very distant 4th place.
- Kenyan Barus Benson Wins Oporto Half Marathon In 1:01.44
- IAAF Recap Of China's National University Games
- UCI Still Waiting On USADA For Details Of Lance Armstrong Lifetime Ban UCI President Pat McQuaid: "The dossier which USADA has certainly prepared will allow for clarification on points which remain open in this affair ... The UCI does not intend to appeal, but we need verification."
- Pat Price, Of The Website Writing About Running, Shares His Experience With Plantar Fasciitis And The Cortisone Shot That Cured It All Unfortunately, this article came out a few months late to save Ryan Hall's Olympics.
- Interesting: Adidas And Other Sponsors Make Way More Off Soccer Advertising Than They Do With The Olympics professional.wsj.com
- Podcast Interview With Daniel Gordon, Director Of The Film 9.79* The ESPN documentary is about the 1988 men's Olympic 100 meter final which involved Carl Lewis and disgraced Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson.
US Action: US 5k Champs RnR Philly Half *RnR Philly Live Results (Full Results Here) *US 5k Champs *Philly Photos *CVS Photos
Philly Half: Stanley Biwott Wins, Ritz Takes 3rd In 1:00:56, Wants To Run 2:06 In Chicago Biwott is a 2:05 guy who won in Paris. On the women's side, Sharon Cherop ran the second fastest time on US soil to win in 1:07:21.
Next up for both winners: 2012 ING NYC Marathon.
*Philly Inquirer Recap Of Rock N Roll Philly
*Video Interview Of Ritz
CVS 5k: Ben True Outleans Andrew Bumbalough, Molly Huddle Over Neely Spence At US 5k Championships The mens race was close with only 2 seconds separating the top 3 as Andrew Bumbalough and Robert Cheseret went 2-3. Neely Spence was second woman in 15:34.
On The Boards: Alan Webb - 14:14, 12th place at CVS
Cow Harbor 10k: Mo Trafeh Beats Sean Quigley At Cow Harbor Run, Alisha Williams Defeats Stephanie Rothstein
Ultra: Karl Meltzer Wins Rabbit Run 100-Mile Ultra And $10,000 *Results
- Chicago Tribune Piece With A Ton More Info And Insight Into Lukas Verzbicas' Bike Accident And Rehab/Recovery Process His stepfather, who is also his coach, seems critical of Verzbicas overdoing things in practice and said, "I think God just said, 'Slow down.'"
- USATF Profiles 400 Runner Manteo Mitchell; The Guy Who Ran On A Broken Leg In The Prelims Of The 4 X 4 In a lot of ways Mitchell is better off for having broken the leg as he's a media star instead of a no-name.
- In Austin, Texas? Jog-A-Dog: Austin Club Starts Run-With-Shelter-Dog Program The dogs benefit from the exercise and runners who participate enough eventually earn a $25 gift certificate to the local running store. Win-win.
Physiotherapist And Athlete Support Services Coordinator Neil Black Takes Over As UK Athletics Performance Director This was not Charles van Commenee's position as there was no performance director since 2008. But Black will choose the new head coach.
LRC Does Politics
LRC Meet The Man Who
Changed American Politics Started The Paul Ryan Marathon Controversy LRC Poster and 2:29 marathoner Bill Walker started the thread that made Paul Ryan's marathon time a matter of national discussion. Until now, Mr. Walker has received no
credit for his contribution to the American political landscape. Meet the man behind it all. Plus learn who he's voting for.
Usain Bolt Says He Will Defer His Wild Card Entry Into The 2013 World Champs To Yohan Blake Bolt as the 2012 DL winner and Blake as the defending World Champ are both eligible for a wild card spot, but each country is only allowed one wild card per event. Bolt will probably still get one in the 200 over DL winner Nickel Ashmeade.
- How Much Do Top US College Track Coaches Make? Terms Of Vin Lananna And Robert Johnson's Contracts Released Lananna: $289,855 plus an "additional $234,105 annually in deferred compensation". Johnson: $150,000 and a guaranteed supplemental salary of $125,000 ... plus perks and bonuses.
- A Look At The Leading Contenders For The 2012 BMW Berlin Marathon Who can challenge Geoffrey Mutai on September 30th?
- Want To Win $40,000? Break 2:10:05 Or 2:26:51 At Twin Ciites On October 7th Grandma's Champs Seek Bonus At Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon
- She May Not Be Popular With The LetsRun.com Crowd, But In Turkey ... NYT Says Olympic 1,500 Champ Asli Cakir Alptekin Is Becoming More Famous Than The Most Famous Footballer & Is Changing Gender Stereotypes In Turkey
- LRC US Records For 24-Hour Run Fall Go run sub-8:21 miles for 24 hours straight. Very impressive. The women's record is 9:37.3 per mile.
- 20-Year-Old Ethipian Atsedu Tsegay, Who Ran 58:47, Will Go For WR And Compete Against Lelisa Desisa, & Deriba Merga At $250,000 Airtel Delhi Half Marathon At End Of Month Meet website here.
Rieti Meet Sunday
Rieti Results Taoufik Makhloufi won the 800 in 1:43.74, Silas Kiplagat dominated the 1,500 as Andrew Wheating disappointed, Collis Birminghman won the 3k as Olympic steeple champ Ezekiel Kemboi and German Fernandez disappointed. Burundi youngster Francine Niyonsaba got her second win in three days
over Olympic champ
Mariya Savinova in the 800. Vivian Cheruiyot got the best of Sylvia Kibet in the 3,000m.
*IAAF Recap Of Rieti Valerie Adams had three throws over 20m.
*Aussie Collis Birmingham Stuns Olympic Medallists Ezekiel Kemboi & Thomas Longosiwa - Wins Men's 3k
*Lemaitre Finishes Season With 10.04 Win - But That Means He Failed To Break 10 This Year
Rieti On The Boards:
- Bobby Curtis - top American in Reiti 3k
- German Fernandez in 3k @ Reiti, Italy. PREDICTION
- Rieti Live stream Online
Brussels: The Last Diamond League Meet Of The Year Was Friday *Results *LRC Photos
LRC Aries Merritt Runs 12.80 To Destroy World Record Prior to Friday, the world record had come down .06 seconds in 21 years. On Friday, Aries Merritt lowered it .07 seconds. We look at the race and his amazing year. Video and post-race press conference.
Merritt: "This answers all the people who said I should pack it in and get a real job."
*Recommended Read: Phil Hersh Looks At Aries Merritt's Special Year Merritt: "This is a dream season for me, a dream season for anyone. I don't think anyone has ever done what I have done this year. Ever." We agree. From 13.09 to 12.80 in a single year. Well Done.
*Aries Merritt World Record Press Conference Highlights
*Aries Merritt World Record National Media Teleconference Excerpts
Brussels On The Boards:
- Centro: lane 3 is tough way to do it, watch out for the lane 4 hurdle!
- Jelimo run for 2nd place? wtf?
- Bolt 9.86 for the win in Brussels
- Bolt Throwing His Spikes Into the Crowd???
- Merritt 12.80! The world record is gone!
- 1500m/Centrowitz prediction thread
Paralympics: Oscar P Loses Again As A Brit Wins The 100 At Home
- Great Britain's Jonnie Peacock Is The Fastest Leg Amputee In The World As He Set A Paralympic Record Of 10.90 To Win The T44 100m Oscar P was back in 4th. US's Richard Browne was 2nd. *AW Article
- Oscar P Says Even Though He Could Compete In Blades Up To 9cm Taller, He Never Would Because He Wants To Know He's Won By "Hard Work And Talent" "I don't think every blade should be the same height, but I think it should be in relation to your body. For the sport to evolve and be taken seriously it has to happen."
- Rovereto Distance Results: Jenny Simpson Gets 2nd In 1,500 With 4:04.07 As Kenyans Mary Kuria (4:03.18) And Eunice Sum (4:05.85) Take 1-3 Hayle Ibrahimov Aze won the 5,000 in 13:11.34 as Andrew Bumbalough was 2nd (13:28.34), Elliott Heath was 10th (13:44.05) and Bobby Curtis was 13th (13:46.30). Kenyan junior Edwin Meli won the 800 in 1:45.01.
*IAAF Full Meet Recap *EA Recap *Full Results
- LRC Taoufik Makhloufi Comes Up Short In Quest For World Lead - Wins 1,500 In 3:32.53 The Olympic champ was way better than everyone in the field but was unable to win the battle with the clock as the second rabbit only got him to 1,200 in 2:50.
Andrew Wheating was in the race and went for it as well but faltered at the end. Maggie Vessey and Brenda Martinez certainly didn't falter at all as they had great days + Duane Solomon in the 400m. *1,500m Race Video *IAAF *EA *LRC Zagreb Preview
*List Of US Performances Carmelita Jeter, Ginnie Crawford, Jason Richardson, Ryan Bailey, Maggie Vessey, Allyson Felix and Reese Hoffa all won their events.
*Britain's Martyn Rooney Wins 400m In 45.78
Patrick Makau Loses A 10 Miler, And Other Weekend Results
- Tilburg 10 Mile And Women's 10k: Patrick Makau Takes 3rd (45:41) In A Close Race As Pius Kiprop Wins In 45:38 Over John Mwangangi (45:40) Gladys Cherono won the 10k in 30:57 over Emily Chebet (30:58) and Joyce Chepkirui (31:10). Linet Masai was 4th.
- Sweden's Carolina Kluft Has Her Last Competition And Retires "It's sad, wonderful, somber, fantastically fun, and also nice."
- Tyler McCandless Repeats As Kaui Marathon Champion
- Nicholas Kurgat Wins Virginia Beach Half Marathon In 1:04:45 Rei Ohara won the women’s race in 1:13:38. *Full Results
- Lille Half Marathon: Ezekiel Chebii Wins Lille Half In 59:05 Over Bernard Koech (59:10) Eliud Kipchoge made his half debut in 59:25 for 3rd. Filomena Chepchirchir won the women's race in 68:06. *IAAF Recap
*MB: lille half marathon won in 59:03
Thursday: The Track Season Is Winding Down, But We Hope You Saved Something For Zürich *Results *Yahoo Photos
2012 Weltklasse Recap: Rudisha Loses, Bolt And Blake Win, Drama In Women's Steeple, And Americans Fizzle In 5,000m It's the best one-day track meet in the world for a reason - it gets the stars. This year was no different and there were a few shockers. In the men's 5,000, Bernard Lagat broke 13:00 for the first time this year but his AR survived as Galen Rupp finished ninth in 13:09.
LRC David Rudisha Gets Beaten Mohammed Aman ruined David Rudisha's perfect season for the second straight year.
*Other Recaps: *IAAF *Athletics Weekly *Reuters Recap
*Rudisha Is Lucky The Weather Was Great For The Olympics: "I never feel good when the track is wet and it is raining." www.independent.co.uk
800 Video (US Visitors)
*US Men With Gay & Bailey Beat Jamaican "B" Team In 4 X 100
*Grabarz Wins The Diamond League HJ Title & Now Wants To Buy A Porsche A Year After Losing Lottery Funding
Pleads Guilty Gives Up
USADA To Ban Lance Armstrong For Life And Strip Him Of All 7 Tour de France Titles USADA chief exec Travis Tygart: "It is a sad day for all of us who love sport and athletes. It's a heartbreaking example of win at all costs overtaking the fair and safe option. There's no success in cheating to win." *ESPN
*MB: BREAKING Report: Lance Abandoning Fight vs Doping Charges, TDF Titles Gone
*Lance Armstrong's Full Statement On USADA Refers to USADA's investigation as an "unconstitutional witch hunt."
Getting High Praise In The Email Inbox:
Mediocre Great Britain: You Lived Up To Your Name "For a country where pessimism is now part of the national consciousness, the Olympics were a resounding success. Not okay, not pretty good, but truly Great ..."
*IAAF's 12 Highlights Of London 2012
*London Athletes Face Post-Olympic Blues It now even has an official name: Post-Olympic Stress Disorder, or POSD.
LRC The Incredible Meb Keflezighi Reacts On Just Missing A Medal, Ryan Hall & Abdi Talk About Dropping Out Post-race reaction from the Americans and the medallists. Meb used the fact he was slighted and not introduced to the worldwide audience at the start, even though he was the only Olympic medallist in the field, to fuel him. Ryan Hall reacts to his first
non-top-10 result and Wilson Kipsang says he has no regrets about the 14:11 3rd 5k.
Olympic Marathon: LRC The Unheralded Stephen Kiprotich Of Uganda Stuns The Field And Wins The 2012 Olympic Men's Marathon Uganda's only Olympic medal of the 2012 Games has a great color to it and it came in a historic event, as after getting dropped at the 35km mark (21.7 m), Kiprotich stormed back to the lead at the 23-mile mark and stunned the world and Kenyans Wilson Kipsang and Abel Kirui as the US's Meb Keflezighi was a surprise 4th. Kipsang tried to do his best Sammy Wanjiru impersonation with a crazy 14:11 5k early in the race, but that 5km segment at 1:59 marathon pace may have done him in later.
*USA Today: Kiprotich: "Now, I am known and I am happy that I am known."
*RRW Recap *AP Recap
LRC Mo Farah Completes The Double As The British Fans Go Wild The British fans got what they wanted on the final day of Olympic track competition (marathon tomorrow is on the roads and doesn't end in the stadium) as Farah won a tactical 5,000. Bernard Lagat came up just short in his quest for his first Olympic medal for the US as he was 4th, Rupp 7th and Lomong 10th.
*Picture: Mo Farah And Usain Bolt Swap Victory Poses
*Mo Farah Says He Wants To Move To The Marathon Eventually, But Not Yet
*MB: Official men's 5000m thread *That was the worst 5000m final in an Olympics ever
W 1,500: LRC Disaster Strikes Twice As Morgan Uceny Gets Tripped Again And A Former Doper Wins Gold Disaster struck twice in the 1,500 final. First at the bell when, unbelievably, Morgan Uceny was sent sprawling for the second straight year. It struck again a lap later when a former doper won gold and her compatriot, who has gone from 4:18 to 4:01 this year, nabbed silver.
*Pat Forde: "Saddest sight of the Games"
*Woods: "Half a lifetime of preparation, of dreaming, shattered in an instant."
*Battaglia: Uceny's medal hopes fall - again
*MB: *I am crying for Morgan Uceny *Uceny goes down! *US should protest - Let's re-run the 1,500
*UK 1,500 Runner Lisa Dobriskey Voices Concerns Over Turkey's Asli Çakir Alptekin Being Clean Dobriskey said: "I'll probably get into trouble for saying this, but I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field.
Bolt Wins 200 To Become A "Legend" Bolt became the first man to win the 100 and 200 at back-to-back Olympics and become a legend in his own words. We thought he was already a legend. After leading the Jamaica 1-2-3 sweep, Bolt trashed Carl Lewis, saying he has "no respect for him" as a result of Carl's thinly-veiled drug allegations at Bolt.
More Bolt-Lewis: *Bolt Rips Lewis
Ashton Eaton, Trey Hardee Go 1-2 In Decathlon Hardee: "It's safe to say my reign is over. I still think my best decathlon is ahead of me, but Ashton's are too."
*Ashton Eaton: "20 years on you will have people saying 'I was sitting on my couch, watching Hardee and Eaton win.'"
*USATF Release On 1-2 Finishes In Decathlon And TJ Includes athlete quotes.
Allyson Felix Wins 200 Gold As USA Crushes It With 7 Medals & 3 Golds Brittney Reese also won gold as did Aries Merritt.
The meet was "was
slipping away" from the US when everything got turned around with a ton of medals. Lashinda Demus had to settle for silver despite running 52.77. *USATF
Release On Historic Day
*Layden: Allyson Felix finally strikes gold on banner night for US track and field
*After Coming Up Short 4 Years Ago, Allyson Felix And Brittney Reese Come Through For Gold In 200 And LJ In 2012
110H: Aries Merritt Is On Fire - PRs At 12.92 As US Goes 1-2 Jason Richardson was a little disappointed he got silver.
Epstein: Merritt quest perfectionism pays off with gold medal in 110m hurdles
Reuters: After showing great promises as jr. world champ, Merritt arrives on center stage
A Great Read: LRC Men's 1,500m Reaction, Leo Manzano Talks About His Medal, Matt Centrowitz His Near Miss, Makhloufi, Kiprop, Willis, More LRC gives you all the athlete reaction from the crazy men's 1,500m, which saw Leo Manzano take home the first US Olympic 1,500m medal since 1968. Leo says he felt awful but his prayer was answered; Centrowitz says he was running for gold and wouldn't change a thing; Asbel Kiprop praises Leo; Nick Willlis is amazed by Makhloufi's recovery but embarrassed by his own showing. What happened to the Kenyans? What about Nick Willis? What about Makhloufi's injury? *LRC Leo Photo Gallery
Race Recap: LRC 1,500 Final: Taoufik Makhloufi Dominates As Leo Manzano Surprises With Silver (updated) Makhloufi's last 300 was just way better than everyone else's, as anyone that tried to go with him paid a big price. Leo Manzano had the next-best last lap as he went from 10th to 2nd as Matt Centrowitz just missed a medal by .04. *IAAF Recap
The Fifth Avenue Mile Is Tomorrow
- Fields Set For Tomorrow's Fifth Avenue Mile:Bernard Lagat, Leo Manzano, Matthew Centrowitz, Jenny Simpson, Shannon Rowbury & Brenda Martinez Highlight Also Donn Cabral, Cam Levins, Hannah England, Gabrielle Anderson and Anna Pierce.
- RR: WSJ: Bernad Lagat Says He's Not Afraid Of Getting Out Of Shape And Will Take 5 Weeks Off & Gain 8 Pounds After This Weekends 5th Avenue Mile Lagat says many other runners are obsessive about not taking time off because of "the fear of how they're going to feel on that first day back." *MB Thread
- Good Read: Lagat: Retirement "Scares" Him, But He's Planning For It Saying He Wants To Redeem Himself At 2013 Worlds And Move To The Road In 2014 “I remember a Kenyan runner who was well respected running late into his 40s and he stopped being successful. People would talk about why was he still doing this and why didn’t he get out sooner, and I didn’t like that. I don’t want to be that guy. I am afraid of how people will remember me.”
- GR#2: Matt Centrowitz Talks About Being Upset Over His Olympic 1500 And Seeing Fellow 4th Placer Lolo Jones In Drug Testing Afterwards “I saw Lolo back there and I know we were probably feeling the same thing. There really isn’t much to say in that kind of situation. No one wants to hear one of those things like, ‘Hey, you were so close,’ or, ‘Hey, you did a good job.’”
- GR#3: Hannah England And Jenny Simpson Hoping To End Their Seasons On A High Note After Disappointing Olympics For England, the biggest challenge aside from healing physically has been coming to grips with having an opportunity lost through no fault of her own.
- Manzano Says Schedule Has Been Very Hectic Since Coming Back From Europe
*Home Town Festivities To Honor Leo Manzano
- Also This Weekend: Max King Chasing Fifth Consecutive XTERRA National Championship On Sunday After he tries to defend his US 50K Trail Championship on Saturday.
- Interview With Max King Talking About How He Manges To Be Able To Race Well At Such A Large Range Of Distances “It’s tough, but these special skill sets take years to develop, but once they are there developed they come back pretty quickly after a few specific workouts. Seems like it’s just like riding a bike.”
- Two-time Race Champion Marilson Gomes dos Santos And 3-Time Olympian Kayoko Fukush Added To Already Stacked NYC Marathon Fields
- "The Trailer" Podcast Featuring Guest Co-Host Andrew Calrson Who Ran 2:11:24 In His Marathon Debut For 6th At The Trials & Is Racing NYC Carlson talks about working at a running shop, Lisa Uhl, World XC and NYC.
- Celebrity Field For NYC Marathon Released
- British Olympic Association In Turmoil Over Election As Seb Coe Competes For Top Job
- Existence Of The Shanghai Marathon In Jeopardy Due To Political Crisis Between China And Japan Over Uninhabited Group Of Islands
- UCI President And His Predecessor Hein Verbruggen Pursuing Legal Action Against Irish Journalist Who First Exposed How Widespread Doping In Cycling Is
- Japanese Federation Critical Of Olympic Track Perfromances And Say Athletes Aren't Running Enough Mileage
#1 Wisconin's Star Mohammed Ahmed May Redshirt The 10k Olympian also says he might have been in 27-flat shape at the Olympics, where he ran 28:13.
David Rudisha In The News
- Wilson Kipketer: A 1:38 800 Is Possible Within 4 Years
- Rudisha Downplays Loss To Aman - Blames Weather
- Rudisha: The 800 Final Was Special For Everyone - Not Just Me "I don't think something like that is going to happen soon, I can guarantee that. Everybody in that race was fit on that day and it is very difficult to get everyone in that form."
- LetsRunners Can Always Dream: David Rudisha: "The 1,500m remains a possibility in future."
- David Rudisha Will Be Global Ambassador At $210,000 Delhi Half Marathon On Sept 30th
Some Good Marathon Articles: Ritz Going For Place, Not Time, In Chicago
- Alberto Salazar Says Dathan Ritzenhein's Quote Was Taken Out Of Context When He Said He Wanted To Run 2:06 In Chicago Salazar: "They took out the second half of his quote. He said he'd love to run 2:06, but what he wanted to do in Chicago is be competitive." He also says that to stay healthy, Ritz now runs a max of 110 miles/week.
- Running Times: 12 Marathons And 12 PRs For Former D2 Runner Jeannette Faber She started with 3:28 in 2004 and has cut 52 minutes to run 2:36:50 for 21st place at the Olympic Trials.
- Paul Ryan Episode Explained: NY Times' Gina Kolata Looks At Why Some Lie About Their Times, And Why We Get Pissed At Them When They Do Kolata: "Most people who are not runners do not know the difference between one pace and another - and don't care. The last thing they want to hear is a rehashing of your race. But runners care almost too much, eviscerating those who dissemble."
- Ed Whitlock Runs 80+ Half Marathon World Record Of 1:38:59 That's 7:33 mile pace despite only resuming training recently due to an injury (his 80+ marathon WR is 3:15:54 [7:28 pace]).
- USADA Behind In Their Paperwork: Despite Announcing Their Lifetime Ban On Lance Armstrong A Month Ago, They've Yet To Send Out The Official Documents They say they "will be sending a reasoned decision to WADA, UCI and WTC (World Triathlon Corporation) ... in the coming weeks."
- A Detail To Note: Chicago Had No Choice But To Not Let Armstrong Run; They Had To In Order To Be Sanctioned By USATF The article explains what USATF sanctioning gets you.
Top US Women In The News
- Kara Goucher Blogs About What's Next She's doing Boston in April, but taking the fall to drop the mileage (from 120s to 90s) and focus on her "neglected" speed.
- Allyson Felix Named USOC Sportswoman Of The Year Michael Phelps was chosen SportsMan of the Year.
- Dawn Harper Serves As "Honorary Team Captain" For Coin Toss At Rams-Redskins Game On taking a break, she said, "I'm on break now, and I'm kicking back. I told myself, 'I am not running anywhere. I'm not running across the street. I'm not jogging anywhere. I'm on break.'"
- Mary Wittenberg Talks To RW On Baggage Issues, Galen Rupp, Lance Armstrong, And Many Other Things "If Lance were to call me and ask for an entry, I would have to check with USADA, USATF, and IAAF, but it seems very likely the answer would be no, and we would follow that."
- Good RW Interview With Renee Metivier Baillie, Who Won The US 20k Champs At New Haven And Will Make Her Marathon Debut At Chicago "I have a degree in mathematics. I could be making more money doing something else, but this is what I love. And I'm happier doing this. Even struggling through the years of injuries, I'm still happy. Because I love it. And I don't want to give up. I believe I have places to go."
International Action: Great North Run & Great North City Games *Results *Great North Run Results *Photos Great North Run
Great North Run: Tirunesh Dibaba Wins In Debut As London Marathon Champ Wilson Kipsang Comes From Behind In Last 50m To Take Win In 59:06 Over Micah Kogo 59:07 Wilson Kipsang loves running in the UK
as the Olympic bronze medallist
came from behind to edge Kogo. Dibaba bided her time and did not run away from Edna Kiplagat until the final quarter. Ryan Vail was 8th in 1:02:04.
*Brit Chris Thompson Is "Over The Moon" Happy With His 61:00 - 3rd Fastest Ever In British History
*Brit Jo Pavey Pleased With 5th Place (69:20)
*Dibaba: "I am thinking of running a marathon maybe next year."
Great City Games:
The US Wins Over The UK At The Great North City Games: Mo Farah Ends His Season Winning The 2-Mile Over Bobby Curtis, Collis Birmingham & Ryan Gregson In the men's mile, Bernard Lagat won over UK's James Brewer and Jordan Macnamara. For the women, Brenda Martinez beat Hanah England and Anna Pierce; Jenny Simpson was only 4th. Other event winners include Dwain Chambers/Jeneba Tarmoh (100), Wallace Spearmon (150m ... Ryan Bailey dropped out with injury), and Jason Richardson (110H). The LJ was a good competition with an upset in Chris Tomlinson beating out Olympic Champ Greg Rutherford, TJ champ Christian Taylor, and LJ bronze medalist Will Claye.
*Farah Says He'll Enjoy Not Thinking About Running For The Next 2 Weeks On his 2-mile win: "I still had to work for it. It wasn't as easy as I thought." Good job, Bobby Curtis.
*Farah: "I'm in control when I'm training. But the twins can wake up at any time of the day or night, they can poo at any time of the day or night ..."
Australia: 39,000 Run Sunday Mail City-Bay Run In Australia And Craig Mottram Is 4th
Kenya: African 10,000m Champ Kenneth Kipkemoi Wins Kenyan XC Event In Eldoret And Says, "I can run and win the cross-country world title."
Jamaica: Cocky Or Confident?
- Yohan Blake Shares Interesting Thoughts On The US/Jamaican Sprint Rivalry And Says Jamaica Will Be Dominant "until the day that we all leave the earth." Talking about US sprinters, he says, "We don't really have a relationship. We say 'hi' and 'bye', because they hated us, they totally hated us because of our exploits and because we can run and we can have fun and because of our dominance."
- Blake Says He Will Take Over From Bolt Sooner, Rather Than Later
- Glen Mills Upset About IAAF Wild Card Limitation
- 110H Bronze Medallist Hansle Parchment Says He Wants Gold In 2016 Aries Merritt will be 31 there and Parchment only 26, so who knows.
2012 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Field Is Released
LRC Kebede And 4 More Sub-2:06/10 Sub-2:07 Guys Will Battle Ritz At 2012 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Carey Pinkowski's full 2012 field was released early Wednesday. The women's field features two sub-2:20 performers and eight sub-2:25s. *Discuss
US News: Ryan Hall Considering A Coach, Chris Derrick Still A Free Agent, And Nick Symmonds Starting A Straight 800m Road Race
- He Should Hire John Kellogg: After A String Of Bad Injuries Which Have Left Him Unable To Train, Ryan Hall Is Considering Getting A Coach "I've said since I started the faith-based coaching thing, I've been open to working with a coach. This wasn't something I was married to for the rest of my career or anything like that."
- Good Running Times Article On A Little Known '84 Olympian John Tuttle, Who's Still Tearing It Up On The Masters Scene Tuttle: "I want to be as good as I can be, for as long as possible. I'm always going to run. And if I'm going to run, I might as well race and try to be up near the top."
- Inaugural "Nick Symmonds Springfield 800" Straight Road Race To Be Held October 13th
- Video Interview: Chris Derrick Still Without A Contract
- It's Official: Robert Johnson Is Now The Head Man At Oregon - Vin Lananna Is A Bureaucrat *Oregonian Article *Discuss
Weekly Free Coaching Advice - Don't Read LetsRun.com Before You Go To Sleep
Using A Computer Before Bed Can Disrupt Sleep Update: A LRC visitor has written in, saying, "I'm a big fan of this software program and think it's helped me sleep better. It automatically darkens the screen in the evenings." http://stereopsis.com/flux/
Kenyan Sports Minister Rips Olympic Report That Placed Most Of Olympic Blame On Athletes (link fixed) He wants a new report - "That will be a far much more enriching a report to the republic rather than stating that so and so fell sick, so and so woke up on the wrong side of the bed or so and so din't look at so and so properly. That is not what we are looking forward to."
Ryan Hall Out Of NYC
Ryan Hall Withdraws From ING NYC Marathon His nagging injuries are not behind him. Hall's year ends with a second place at the Olympic Trials and a DNF a the Olympics.
Discuss: Ryan Hall Out of NYC
*Video Message From Ryan Hall To Fans (also embedded on right) He says he's more motivated than ever to make amends in 2013.
Paula Won't Quit
Paula Radcliffe Ignores Those Who Tell Her She'll Never Run Again, Has Foot Surgery & Is Now Targeting 2012 London Marathon LetsRun friend Amol Saxena apparently did the surgery again.
More News From The UK: Adam Gemili Runs 20.38 - Fastest UK Time In 3 Years
Paralympics *Video Highlights
Ridiculous: Oscar P Is Shortlisted For Paralympic Sportsmanship Award Days After Nearly Being Disciplined For Whining It is given to one "who is fair, honest and is uncompromising in his or her values and prioritises the promotion of the Paralympic Movement above personal recognition."
Paralympics = More Ways To Cheat (With Drugs & Technology):
*Two Paralympic Powerlifters Banned For HGH Positives
*NY Times Looks At Technodoping - That's When You Cheat With Technology In The Paraplympics
*Science Of Sport Looks More At Oscar P Case & What It Means For Future Of Sport
Oscar Pistorius Dominates To Win Final Track Gold His time was 46.68, which was a slow time for Oscar but a Paralympic record. Pistorius won by nearly three seconds and this was his first individual gold in London.
More Paralympics: *More On Pistorius's Gold
*Crowd Of 80,000 Delighted With Pistorius' Gold
*200m Gold Medallist At Paralympics Is Glad To Have A Disability
Brussels: The Last Diamond League Meet Of The Year Was Friday *Results *LRC Photos
Brussels Diamond League Recap The 2012 DL season came to an end with some great action. The men's 1,500 was worth a watch as Silas Kiplagat got the win over Olympic Champ
Makhloufi as Centrowitz mixed it up. In the women's 800, Francine Niyonsaba arrived as a star as two Americans did well. Plus redemption for Brimin Kipruto and Vivian Cheruiyot.
*Athletics Weekly Full Meet Recap *IAAF Recap
Kenyan Press Chronically Unhappy: 4 Kenyans Win Diamond Titles On Friday - But Press Harps On Fact None Of 4 Won Gold In London
Lance Gets Punished
So, So Great: Lance Armstrong Banned From Chicago Marathon
*Armstrong's Agent Whines & Complains "Just the latest chapter in USADA's never-ending vendetta against Lance."
*MB: Lance denied entry into Chicago Marathon
Wow: Parents Of 4 X 100 Gold Medallist Tianna Madison Sue Her, Saying Their Own Daughter Has Defamed Them This isn't a case of an "absent parent" trying to cash in, as both mom and dad were in London.
Craig Mottram Will Run A Marathon, Usain Bolt Might Play Soccer
- Craig Mottram Says He's Done With The Track And Moving Up To The Marathon He'd like to debut at London or Boston in the spring.
- Usain Bolt Might Play Manchester United Charity Game Next Summer Unlikely this happens as it's on June 3rd, which is right before some key DL meets and the August World Championships.
Mark Your Calendar For October 28th: Frankfurt Marathon Is Shaping Up To Be A Great Race
Frankfurt Marathon Adds Four 2:06 And Under Runners To Field To Challenge Patrick Makau In His WR Attempt Yemane Tsegay (who ran 2:04:48 in Rotterdam), Albert Matebor (2:05:25), Bazu Worku (2:05:25) and Gilbert Kirwa (2:06:14) have all been added to the field.
Labor Day Action - New Haven 20km - *Race Website/Videos/Interviews
LRC Matt Tegenkamp Does The 20k - Wins 2012 USA 20km Title In American Course Record Time Of 58:30 For years, it was said Teg doesn't run the 10k, but he does do that and now even the 20k!! Former Oregon
Duck Luke Puskedra ran a gutsy race, but Teg blew him away at the end to get the win in a new American course record time of 58:30 - the second-fastest
20 km road race ever run by
an American - in a race where the top 5 ran 60:00 or faster. In the women' race, Renee Metivier Baillie (67:08) won as four broke 69:00. *RRW Article
*Tegenkamp On Puskedra: "He made me work for it. I ran that race in the hardest way possible. I didn't know what I was doing out there."
More On The Oscar P Blade Length Debate *Video: Oscar P Loses 200
- Oscar P Apologises For The Timing Of His Outburst Against Oliveira, But Could Still Be Hit With A Punishment From The IPC However, the IPC has agreed to sit down with him and talk about the blade length issue.
- IPC Reveals That Pistorius First Expressed Concerns About Blade Length 6 Or 7 Weeks Ago
- Alan Oliveira Confirms That He's Improved By About A Second Since Switching To The Longer Blades He increased his height from 1.76m to 1.81m just three weeks ago. Under IPC rules, he could go up to 1.85m. So as an disabled athlete you can essentially change your height to find the optimum stride length.
US Marathon News
- Olympic Trifecta: Meb + Abdi Will Join Ryan Hall At The 2012 ING New York City Marathon All three US Olympic men's marathoners plus Hartmann, Gotcher, Arciniaga, Carlson, Bauhs and Vail will run New York this year. New York also announced they are going to offer $50,000 in prize money per gender for Americans only.
- Good Interview: Runner's World Q&A With Meb The cobblestones in London really beat up his feet and he hasn't run since the Olympics, but he thinks he'll be ready by NYC. Also talks about a London mishap with Ryan Hall's drink. Some quotes "that weren't QOD" in there.
Mo Farah/Usain Bolt News
Olympic 5,000m Final Was So Loud That Finish Line Camera Shook And The Official Finish Photo Was Blurry For The First Time Ever It
didn't happen in any other
race in London. Farah mania > Bolt mania in London.
Mo Farah's Wife Gives Birth To Twin Girls
Lausanne DL *Full Results
LRC: Matt Centrowitz Runs 3:31.96 For Third The twenty-two-year-old American continued to roll as in his first race post-London, he skipped the 3:32s and 3:33s to run 3:31.96 and come close to the win in Lausanne.
*Video Of Centro's Race
*MB: CENTRO 3:31!! *What the hell happened? Centro 3:31, Rupp DNF, Manzano/Willis 3:34
Results: Yohan Blake 9.69, Usain Bolt 19.58, Pamela Jelimo Over Mariya Savinova, Matt Centrowitz 3:31, Leo Manzano 3:34, Galen Rupp DNF The two Jamaican sprint stars came to play in Lausanne. But the mid-d and distance action left you wondering how the Olympic results were as they were. In the 1,500, the American silver medallists didn't really show up as Leo Manzano was 10th and Galen Rupp didn't finish, as Silas Kiplagat got the win and Matt Centrowitz showed why he's the best American miler when healthy. In the women's 800, Pamela Jelimo got the win over the 2012 Olympic champion, and in the 3,000, Jenny Simpson was dead last - proving in our minds that her problems in 2012 aren't a matter of confidence or tactics, but rather of fitness.
*IAAF Recap *AP *BBC
*MB: The Good: CENTRO 3:31!! *9.69 - My head just exploded
The Bad: What the hell happened? Centro 3:31, Rupp DNF, Manzano/Willis 3:34
The Ugly: JennyB needs a new coach fast
Monday/More Weekend Track Action
- Monday In Linz, Austria: Kirani James, Felix Sanchez Impress Overall recap.
- *Men's 1,000m: Seurei Wins, Nate Brannen 2:16.52, Over Nick Willis (Missed NZ Record By .01), Wheating, Torrence Willis for some reason was getting top billing earlier. Brannen deserves it. He is in fabulous shape and fell in London. Kirani James won the 400 (44.46) as Oscar P was 6th (46.91). In the 800, Hannah England ran 1:59.66 to beat Anna Pierce and Molly Beckwith. Felix Sanchez won the 400H; Michael Tinsley was 3rd. Other action included a poor steeple showing by Bridget Franek (9:52.90) and bronze medallist Kellie Wells losing to US runners Ginnie Crawford and Queen Harrison in the 100H. *Full Results *Cory Martin Wins City Shot *MB: Brannen 2:16:52 1000m
Olympic Track & Field *Daily Schedule/Results *Complete T&F Schedule *LRC Check Prediction Contest Scores/Change Picks
Saturday: W800: LRC The World Champion Is Now The Olympic Champion As Mariya Savinova Wins Comfortably Over Caster Semenya (updated) Russia's Mariya Savinova came from way back to win the gold comfortably in 1:56.19 and retain her global superiority. Caster Semenya had a blazing last
100 to grab the silver, but waited
way too long to kick to challenge for gold. Defending champ Pamela Jelimo led with 200 to go, but faded badly and was the first outside the medals.
*David Epstein: "Silver Medal in 800 meters Offers Little Clarity in Semenya Speculation" Talks about speculation as to how Semenya came out of nowhere again to get silver and points out how those who objected to her in the past (such as Savinova) seem to be fine with her now that she's losing.
Saturday Relay Action:
- Bolt Is 6-For-6: Usain Bolt And Jamaica Make History With A New 4 X 1 World Reocrd (36.84) Bolt gets his back-to-back triple crowns. The US was second, actually equalling the old WR, but still well beaten by Jamaica. *IAAF Event Report
- Tim Layden: "In a Games filled with memorable moments, few resonate like Bolt"
- It Was A Disappointing Games For "White Lightning" Christophe Lemaitre This article was from before the 4 x 1 final, but we doubt he's any happier, as France just missed a medal.
- men Win 4 X 4 Relay With Fastest Time In 19 Years on Felix gets her 3rd gold medal of the games, Richards-Ross her 2nd. Richards-Ross said, "By the time I got the stick, it was basically a victory lap." *MB: ALLYSON FELIX JUST SPLIT 48.8
W 5,000: LRC Meseret Defar Stunningly Stops The Coronation Of Tiruneh Dibaba The script was all set. Tirunesh Dibaba was to complete the "Double Double" and become the first women track athlete with four individual golds. Only thing was, the person making history ended up being Meseret Defar.
*Reuters Defar's golden focus pays dividends Defar said she's had great health and says she changed training to prepare for a tactical race. The religious Defar says she feels "born again."
*Defar Says She Will Now Move Up To The Marathon She's ran one half before in 67:45. Dibaba has said she's making the same move, so their rivalry isn't over yet.
Could Be Was Epic:
LRC David Rudisha Becomes A Legend By Winning Gold With A World Record In The Greatest 800 Race In History updated David Rudisha went after in London and delivered, as he became the first person to break 1:41 in the 800. The rest of the field went after Rudisha and delivered as well as 7 of 8 runners PRed in a truly epic race where places 1-8 set new all-time best time-for-place marks. Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds became the 2nd and 3rd Americans to break 1:43 and amazingly neither medalled.
*MB: Rudisha 1:40.91 WORLD RECORD!!
*Epstein: How low can Rudisha go in 800?
*Science Of The Sport Analyzes The Olympic 800 Final And Rudisha's Race Strategy
LRC Duane Solomon And Nick Symmonds React To Their Historic Olympic 800s That Leave Them Short Of The Medals The sub-1:43 club has two more Americans. Unbelievably both of them will leave London without medals. Nick Symmonds ran faster in the final than he thought was humanly possible for him.
*IAAF Article On Rudisha's WR 17-year-old Kenyan Timothy Kitum, who got bronze, said, "[Rudisha] told me he was going to go fast for the line. He advised me not to follow him and to go for silver. That's why (Mohammed) Aman failed. That was our plan."
*Usain Bolt & David Rudisha: Olympic Stars United In Greatness The 800 was crazy; British runner Andrew Osagie's 1:43.77 was enough to get him 4th all-time UK and would have won any of the past three Olympic finals ... but here it got him last.
*Ultimate Track Showdown: Bolt Vs. Rudisha Over 400 Both have hinted they'd be up for it. Props to whatever meet organizer makes this happen. *MB: More Dominant: Bolt or Rudisha?
LRC Column/Editorial: Sarah Attar Makes Olympic Track And Field History For Saudi Arabia In 800m, But Is It Enough? Imagine the outrage if the South African delegation made its black athletes walk behind the whites and told them to not give interviews or mingle with whites."It's time for the IOC to stop supporting sexism. Gender discrimination should be treated no differently than racial discrimination. ... How about for a start, the Saudi women come out first at the closing ceremonies? Come out before anyone else enters the stadium, that would be a step in the right direction."
400 Final: 19-Year-Old Kirani James Wins Grenada's First Olympic Gold In The 400 Luguelin Santos took silver and Lalonde Gordon bronze. Kirani James is Mr. Clutch at age 19. Incredible.
*Grenada Prime Minister Declares National Holiday To Celebrate Kirani James' 400 Win
SI: US 400m Dynasty Comes To An End
*MB: Kirani James 43.94!!!!
of the Day 20% Off at Shoes.com With Free Shipping (Men <a hrclick here, women click here)
Some Other US News
- Dyestat Is Reborn As dyetrack.com
- Got A Lot Of Extra Cash? Rock ‘n’ Roll Race Series Up For Sale
- SI's Twitter 100 Includes Ato Boldon, Lolo Jones
$200,012 LetsRun.com Prediction Contest Results
LRC 2012 LetsRun.com London Prediction Contest Winners Announced The London Olympics are in the rear view mirror and the gold medals awarded. The real winners, the winners of our $200,012 LetsRun.com Prediction Contest have not been given the accolades they deserve.
USTFCCCA Rankings And More Scholastic News
- Wisconsin Men And Washington Women Dominate The Voting In The First Regular Season DI Coaches' Poll
*DII Regional Rankings *DIII
- Cornell University Has Cut Ties With adidas Because Of The Comapny's Overseas Labor Practices
- High School: XC Nation's Top 50 National HS Team Rankings CBA Lincroft boys and Grosse Pointe South girls top the lists.
LetsRun.com T-shirts Hit The
LRC High School Team Dominates In LetsRun.com T-Shirts If you're going to run fast, you should also look good doing it. That's what the Blue Valley Northwest XC team did in Topeka, Kansas as they sported their new LRC T-Shirts and swept four of the top 10 places last
With Wejo no longer competing, maybe we should sponsor them.
LetsRun.com T-Shirts Are Here Labor Day Special, 4 Different Shirts $50
LRC The Wait Is Over: Buy Your LetsRun.com Shirts Today The Empire State Building was built in 2 years, the US put a man on the moon in 8 years, and 12 years later the LetsRun.com T-Shirts are here. 4 designs coming from you. We've got a Labor Day Special: All 4 shirts, $50 with free shipping.
- Yohan Blake Would Love To Quit Track To Play Cricket Full Time Blake: "With this hard training in track and field and I know that cricket training is not that hard and I can make the team and it is my first love, I would go to play cricket. I want to finish this (athletics) as early as possible, so I can play my cricket; like somewhere around 30, 29, 28, in that region."
- Coach Glenn Mills Says His Athletes' Shoes Are Stolen From Time To Time At Customs
- Video: More Than 600 Show Up To OSU Track Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- USTFCCA: Weekend College XC Results
- HS: Amy Eloise Neal 16:31 5k!!!!!!
LRC NCAA Cross-Country Pre-Season Polls Sure, the NCAA XC season is underway but nothing has happened yet, so tell us who your top 10 teams are in the country or in each region.
Need Coaching Advice? Coaches Of Jessica Ennis, Sally Pearson & Tafouk Makhloufi Among Speakers At International Festival Of Athletics Coaches Conf. In Glasgow October 26-28.
- Boston Marathon Runner-Up Sumgong Jemimah Jelagat Cleared Of All Doping Charges She had received a local (intrabursal) injection of Prednisolone, which is allowed.
- Debbie Dunn - 4th In 400 At US Trials - Accepts Two-Year Doping Ban
- Lance Armstrong's Lifetime Ban Will Not Be Challenged By UCI
- Unbelievable: Shot Putter Nadezhda Ostapchuk Was Allegedly Secretly Doped By Her Coach - Who Spiked Her Food - As He Was
Worried About Her Unimpressive Results Prior To London The coach has confessed and as a result Ostapchuk, who vehemently denied she doped, was only given a 1-year ban. Her coach is out for 4 years (he should be out for life).
*RR: Longer Article With Many More Details On Ostapchuk Doping Investigation The Belarus federation even drug tested staff members to see if they somehow contaminated Ostapchuk.
*Interesting: Ostapchuk's Coach Also Worked With 2000 Olympic Champ Who Was Busted In 2003 And He Said Then Maybe Someone "Poured Something Into Her Glass."
Ryan Hall's Message To His Fans After Dropping Out Of NY
Brussels Diamond League Photos: Aries Merritt 12.80 And More
LRC Guest Columnist: Lactic Acid - Is It All That Bad?
LRC From Time Magazine To NBC Commentators: Why is everyone still so confused about lactate (and exercise physiology)? LRC guest scientific contributor, PhD Matthew Goodwin, takes a look at some common exercise physiology misconceptions. His #1 target: The idea that lactic acid causes muscle soreness.
- Video: Paul Ryan WINS In Photo Finish At The 1990 Chicago Marathon
- Interactive Political Marathon Battle: Bush V. Gore V. Ryan V. Palin And More ... Who Wins?
- Ceremony Marks The 40th Anniversary Of The Terrorist Attack And Murder Of 11 Israeli Athletes And German Policeman At Munich 1972 Olympics
- Japan Hammer Thrower Barred From Joining IOC Commission Because Of His Election Campaign Methods Has Taken His Appeal To CAS
- Paul Ryan Time Calculator: How Fast Could You Run If You Were Paul Ryan?
*MB: Paul Ryan's "Sub-3" Marathon
Nick Symmonds' Beer Mile AR
Lausanne 1,500: Centro 3:31.96
Saturday Photo Gallery: Usain And Mo
Goodbye London 2012 - Closing Ceremony Photos Gallery
LRC Asks Carmelita Jeter & Jason Richardson About Mark Block
Latest: Britain's Sunday Herald Picks Up Block Story & USADA Says "There is an investigation going on."
*Pat Forde Of Yahoo Sports Picks Up On Controversy
LRC Carmelita Jeter And Jason Richardson Answer Questions About Banned Agent Mark Block LRC's Weldon Johnson asked Jeter and Richardson about their association with banned agent Mark Block. Jeter and Richardson, to their credit, didn't dodge the questions. To say there was tension in the air is an understatement. *Discuss
*Associated Press Picks Up Story: US sprinter Carmelita Jeter defends friendship with suspended agent Mark Block
*The Guardian Picks Up Story: "A wonderful night for the USA's athletics team turned sour when Carmelita Jeter was questioned about her links with the controversial former coach, Mark Block."
*NY Daily News *Daily Mail *San Diego Tribune
Day 8 Olympic Photo Gallery: Women's 4 X 100 WR, Uceny Falls, Women's 5,000m Final
Day 7 Olympic Photo Gallery: Rudisha And Bolt
Day 6 Photo Gallery: Allsyon Felix, Aries Merritt, Brittney Reese, Women's 1,500m Semis
Day 5 Photo Gallery: Leo 1,500m Silver, Men's High Jump, Men's 800m Semis, Men's Discus Final
Day 4 Photo Gallery: King James, Felix Sanchez, Jenn Suhr, Women's Steeple
Day 3 Photo Gallery: Men's 100, Men's Steeple, Women's 400, More
Women's Olympic Marathon Photo Gallery
Day 2 Photo Gallery: Olympic 10,000m Final Photo Gallery
Help Out A LRCer Who Has Terminal Cancer: Help Cancer Guy
A Legend Passes Too Young
LRC Eight-Time US Cross-Country Champion Pat Porter Dies In Plane Crash Updated: We've added a great photo of Porter with 3-time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings.
*Authorities: "There are no indications as to what may have caused this accident." Porter and his 15-year-old son and a neighbohood friend have perished.