Are We The Only Ones Who Think It's Very Ironic That The Greeks Spent $814,000 For A Trophy To Inspire Them To Fight Out Of Their Financial Abyss?
$814,000 Marathon Trophy From 1896 Olympics Goes On Display In Greece For 1st Time - Is Being Used To Inspire All Greeks
RR: A Look At The Great Mid-Race Surges In 5k History Could Mo Farah handle a 58-second third lap? What about a 1:56 for the eighth and ninth laps?
Harvey Glance On Kirani James: "(James) is a phenomenal young man and I'm just proud to be associated with him." Did you know that James' gold meal is currently making the rounds at the SEC's BeachFest?
Amby Burfoot Asks: Do You Realize African-Born Runners Won Every Mid-D/Distance Gold On The Men's Side In London?
*Amby Burfoot Asks: Are Americans Really Running Better Or Are Europeans/Russians Just Worse?
Thursday: The Track Season Is Winding Down, But We Hope You Saved Something For Zürich *Entries
- Provisional Entries For Zürich DL This Thursday David Rudisha and Yuliya Zaripova, a deep women's 1,500 and stacked men's 5,000 highlight. Duane Solomon, Shannon Rowbury, Jenny Simpson all competing.
- Thursday's Zurich 5,000 Has 7 Of The 10 Fastest Men In The World This Year And 5 Of The Top 7 Finishers From London Led by silver medallist and world leader Dejen Gebremeskel, the field has Hagos Gebrhiwet, Isiah Kiplangat, Yenew Alimirew, Thomas Longosiwa, John Kipkoech, Tariku Bekele, Bernard Lagat, Galen Rupp and Lopez Lomong.
*MB: Stacked Zurich DL 5k!!
Birmingham DL Sunday *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results
- LRC: Mo Farah Wins Final Track Race Of 2012, Centro, Leo Disappoint, Merritt Keeps Rolling Post-Olympic fatigue seemed to be fully in play as the meet was full of lackluster results, as Mo Farah won the 2 mile in 8:27, the men's 200 was won in over 20.00, the men's steeple was won in 8:20, the women's 800 was won in over 2:00, and Anna Pierce won the women's 1,500 in 4:11. Aries Merritt did win a quick hurdles and Carmelita Jeter beat Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce again.
- Full Results *US Results *IAAF Recap *Athletics Weekly *Reuters Recap
- Farah On Not Going For Steve Ovett's 8:13 UK Record: "Wasn't thinking about the record at all, mate. It's been a hard week." *Race Video
*Do You Get A Kick Out Of Farah Running Away From A Dinosaur? Interview With The Guy Who Created mofarahrunningawayfromthings.tumblr.com The interview begins at about 43:00 into the podcast.
*Could A Mid-Race Surge Be The Way To Bring Down Mo Farah? *Video Interview With Farah
- Greg Rutherford Disappointed With 3rd Place Finish "I'm a professional athlete, I should be able to come out here and perform. I feel like I let a few people down today."
- Nickel Ashmead Says Not Making The Jamaican Olympic Team Was A Big Blow, But He Has No Regrets
- Robbie Grabarz Beats Russia's Olympic Champ Ivan Ukhov To Win HJ This put him 1 point over Jesse Williams in the overall DL series. As long as he beats Williams in Zürich (and Williams has been jumping horribly), he wins the $40,000.
- Olympic LJ Champ Greg Rutherford Had A Poor Performance To Take 3rd Rutherford has been talking pretty confidently about how he could beat Usain Bolt in the LJ "easily" but looks like he's not impervious to losing to people in other events since TJ Olympic champ Christian Taylor beat him here.
- Interview: Anna Pierce Has Positive Outlook After Winning Here And Wishes She Was In This Shape Back At The Olympic Trials
- Video Interview: Carmelita Jeter Thinks Women Sprinters Aren't Getting Enough Attention Have to give her and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce credit for actually racing each other, unlike Bolt and Blake. *Race Vid
- An Official DQed 400H Winner Kaliese Spencer For A Trail Leg Violation, But She Was Reinstated On Appeal Due To Lack Of "Conclusive Evidence"
- Videos: Mercy Cherono Beats Vivian Cheruiyot In Tight 3,000m *Nickel Ashmeade Holds Off Tyson Gay In Birmingham 200m *Aries Merritt Edges Jason Richardson In 110H
- Valerie Adams Wins SP, But Still Doesn't Have Her Olympic Gold Medal "I won't be happy until I get my hands on it."
- Adams Didn't Get Her Gold Medal, But Jenny Meadows Did ... Sort Of She was announced and introduced to the crowd as the European indoor 800m champ following the earlier doping suspension of Yevgenia Zinurova. They still haven't gotten the medal from Russia, so her husband gave her one made of chocolate.
- Jav Olympic Champ Barbora Spotakova Wins Again
- Birmingham Press Conference Highlights
International News From Retired/Almost Retired Olympians
- Outrage Grows Among Chinese Public Over Liu Xiang's "Staged" Olympic Race A newspaper revealed that TV stations knew of the injury and "that the moment had been carefully scripted" with 4 possible scripts prepared for news anchors.
- Liu Xiang Speaks Out And Says He "Felt Healthy" On The Olympic Starting Line
- Carolina Klüft To Retire After She Makes Her 400 Hurdles Debut Next Week
- Asafa Powell Refuses To Get Surgery To Try To Fix His Chronic Groin Problems He rightly states that there is no guarantee he'll be able to come back at all after going under the knife. He admits that he doesn't work as hard as he should with "the exercises and stuff like that." Hey, it's not like it's his career or anything.
- Paula Radcliffe Has Successful Foot Surgery
Pleads Guilty Gives Up
USADA To Ban Lance Armstrong For Life And Strip Him Of All 7 Tour de France Titles USADA chief exec Travis Tygart: "It is a sad day for all of us who love sport and athletes. It's a heartbreaking example of win at all costs overtaking the fair and safe option. There's no success in cheating to win." *ESPN
*MB: BREAKING Report: Lance Abandoning Fight vs Doping Charges, TDF Titles Gone
*Lance Armstrong's Full Statement On USADA Refers to USADA's investigation as an "unconstitutional witch hunt."
More Drugs: Dick Pound Says Despite All The Drug Testing At The Olympics, The Dopers Are Winning The former WADA chairman criticizes his successor for not taking the advice and making use of the expertise of Victor Conte. Pound accuses countries of not caring and only handing out 2-year bans since they want their athletes back in action.
US Olympic-Related News
- Bad News: Morgan Uceny Decides To End Her Season Due To Injuries Sustained In Olympic Fall
- USA Today Picks Up On Nick Symmonds Beer Mile WR Attempt (Includes Video)
- US Athletes Continue The Fight Against Rule 40 Sanya Richards-Ross: "What is the IOC's biggest asset? The athletes, yet many of my peers have nothing while $6billion generated around games."
- Despite Rule 40, NIKE Still Got Away With Ambush Marketing At The Olympics You had to be color blind not to see their bright yellow-green neon spikes in every race.
- Good Read By RunBlogRun: "Curtis Beach Is One Of A New Breed Of Emerging American Decathletes" "Beach's primary strength is his running. Seeing this as a distinct advantage ... when it is appreciated that Beach has run a decathlon 100 in 10.7 and closed out a 10-event competition with a sub-4:00 1,500."
- Lolo Jones Says If Fame Was All She Wanted, She'd Just Do A Sex Tape On her teammates' bitterness: "I didn't see that one coming at all. I kind of understand their frustration, I guess, because they feel like they don't have media or photo shoots or any of that off-the-track stuff that they might want. But from my end of it, if I had a medal, that's all I would need."
- Jeff Demps To Sign Contract With New England Patriots
- Brief Chat With Ashley Higginson, Who's Decided To Forgo Law School In Colorado For Rutgers Instead So She Can Stay With NJ/NY Track Club "You're a pro runner ... you're not a kid in a candy shop with Julie Culley and Delilah DiCrescenzo to show you around anymore."
Stockholm Diamond League Meet *Full Results *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews *Yahoo Photos
LRC Stockholm Diamond League Full Recap Updated A slew of Olympic champions competed and some did really well and some did awful. Duane Solomon ran a great 800m, Evan Jager ran a PR and revealed he wants to run a 5k, and Shannon Rowbury and Jenny Simpson ran seasonal bests. Now with quotes and interviews.
More: LRC Evan Jager Wants To Run A 5k, But Coach Jerry Schumacher Is Against It
LRC Shannon Rowbury Speaks Out Against Drug Cheats
LRC Taoufik Makhloufi Explains How He Got So Much Better This Year
LRC Andrew Wheating Runs 1:46.4 In B Race And Says It's A Positive Step
LRC Full Results *Video Highlights
*IAAF Recap *Athletics Weekly *Reuters
*Bolt Didn't Run Because He's Too Expensive, Say Meet Organizers
*Valerie Adams Dominates In Stockholm
Getting High Praise In The Email Inbox:
Mediocre Great Britain: You Lived Up To Your Name "For a country where pessimism is now part of the national consciousness, the Olympics were a resounding success. Not okay, not pretty good, but truly Great ..."
*IAAF's 12 Highlights Of London 2012
*London Athletes Face Post-Olympic Blues It now even has an official name: Post-Olympic Stress Disorder, or POSD.
LRC The Incredible Meb Keflezighi Reacts On Just Missing A Medal, Ryan Hall & Abdi Talk About Dropping Out Post-race reaction from the Americans and the medallists. Meb used the fact he was slighted and not introduced to the worldwide audience at the start, even though he was the only Olympic medallist in the field, to fuel him. Ryan Hall reacts to his first
non-top-10 result and Wilson Kipsang says he has no regrets about the 14:11 3rd 5k.
Olympic Marathon: LRC The Unheralded Stephen Kiprotich Of Uganda Stuns The Field And Wins The 2012 Olympic Men's Marathon Uganda's only Olympic medal of the 2012 Games has a great color to it and it came in a historic event, as after getting dropped at the 35km mark (21.7 m), Kiprotich stormed back to the lead at the 23-mile mark and stunned the world and Kenyans Wilson Kipsang and Abel Kirui as the US's Meb Keflezighi was a surprise 4th. Kipsang tried to do his best Sammy Wanjiru impersonation with a crazy 14:11 5k early in the race, but that 5km segment at 1:59 marathon pace may have done him in later.
*USA Today: Kiprotich: "Now, I am known and I am happy that I am known."
*RRW Recap *AP Recap
LRC Mo Farah Completes The Double As The British Fans Go Wild The British fans got what they wanted on the final day of Olympic track competition (marathon tomorrow is on the roads and doesn't end in the stadium) as Farah won a tactical 5,000. Bernard Lagat came up just short in his quest for his first Olympic medal for the US as he was 4th, Rupp 7th and Lomong 10th.
*Picture: Mo Farah And Usain Bolt Swap Victory Poses
*Mo Farah Says He Wants To Move To The Marathon Eventually, But Not Yet
*MB: Official men's 5000m thread *That was the worst 5000m final in an Olympics ever
W 1,500: LRC Disaster Strikes Twice As Morgan Uceny Gets Tripped Again And A Former Doper Wins Gold Disaster struck twice in the 1,500 final. First at the bell when, unbelievably, Morgan Uceny was sent sprawling for the second straight year. It struck again a lap later when a former doper won gold and her compatriot, who has gone from 4:18 to 4:01 this year, nabbed silver.
*Pat Forde: "Saddest sight of the Games"
*Woods: "Half a lifetime of preparation, of dreaming, shattered in an instant."
*Battaglia: Uceny's medal hopes fall - again
*MB: *I am crying for Morgan Uceny *Uceny goes down! *US should protest - Let's re-run the 1,500
*UK 1,500 Runner Lisa Dobriskey Voices Concerns Over Turkey's Asli Çakir Alptekin Being Clean Dobriskey said: "I'll probably get into trouble for saying this, but I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field.
Bolt Wins 200 To Become A "Legend" Bolt became the first man to win the 100 and 200 at back-to-back Olympics and become a legend in his own words. We thought he was already a legend. After leading the Jamaica 1-2-3 sweep, Bolt trashed Carl Lewis, saying he has "no respect for him" as a result of Carl's thinly-veiled drug allegations at Bolt.
More Bolt-Lewis: *Bolt Rips Lewis
*Editorial Saying This Will Hurt Bolt In US With Endorsements We Disagree. The article nails it in describing how entertaining Bolt was in the rest of the press conference.
*Article From Last Month Explaining What Lewis Said
*Yohan Blake's Watch Has Caught The Eye Of IOC Brand Police
*Four Years Ago, Warren Weir Was Watching The Olympics From The Couch, But Now He's Part Of A Jamaican 200 Medal Sweep When asked what Bolt whispered to him before the start, he said, "1-2-3." All 3 are coached by Glen Mills.
Ashton Eaton, Trey Hardee Go 1-2 In Decathlon Hardee: "It's safe to say my reign is over. I still think my best decathlon is ahead of me, but Ashton's are too."
*Ashton Eaton: "20 years on you will have people saying 'I was sitting on my couch, watching Hardee and Eaton win.'"
*USATF Release On 1-2 Finishes In Decathlon And TJ Includes athlete quotes.
Gators Christian Taylor And Will Claye Go 1-2 In Triple Jump 2nd medal of Games for Claye as he got bronze in the LJ.
NYTimes: Day Of Drama In London
Allyson Felix Wins 200 Gold As USA Crushes It With 7 Medals & 3 Golds Brittney Reese also won gold as did Aries Merritt.
The meet was "was
slipping away" from the US when everything got turned around with a ton of medals. Lashinda Demus had to settle for silver despite running 52.77. *USATF
Release On Historic Day
*Layden: Allyson Felix finally strikes gold on banner night for US track and field
*After Coming Up Short 4 Years Ago, Allyson Felix And Brittney Reese Come Through For Gold In 200 And LJ In 2012
110H: Aries Merritt Is On Fire - PRs At 12.92 As US Goes 1-2 Jason Richardson was a little disappointed he got silver.
Epstein: Merritt quest perfectionism pays off with gold medal in 110m hurdles
Reuters: After showing great promises as jr. world champ, Merritt arrives on center stage
LJ: After Four Straight World Titles, Brittney Reese Gets Long-Sough- After Olympic Gold
*Reese Celebrates With Mom Who Told Her To Turn Down Basketball Scholarship For College & Focus On Track
A Great Read: LRC Men's 1,500m Reaction, Leo Manzano Talks About His Medal, Matt Centrowitz His Near Miss, Makhloufi, Kiprop, Willis, More LRC gives you all the athlete reaction from the crazy men's 1,500m, which saw Leo Manzano take home the first US Olympic 1,500m medal since 1968. Leo says he felt awful but his prayer was answered; Centrowitz says he was running for gold and wouldn't change a thing; Asbel Kiprop praises Leo; Nick Willlis is amazed by Makhloufi's recovery but embarrassed by his own showing. What happened to the Kenyans? What about Nick Willis? What about Makhloufi's injury? *LRC Leo Photo Gallery
Race Recap: LRC 1,500 Final: Taoufik Makhloufi Dominates As Leo Manzano Surprises With Silver (updated) Makhloufi's last 300 was just way better than everyone else's, as anyone that tried to go with him paid a big price. Leo Manzano had the next-best last lap as he went from 10th to 2nd as Matt Centrowitz just missed a medal by .04. *IAAF Recap
*Deadspin: Algerian Runner Booted From Olympics For Quitting A Race Reinstated After Getting A Doctor's Note
*Taoufik Makhloufi: The Man Who Won Olympic Gold After Being Thrown Out For Not Trying An honest assesment of the DQ situation and questioning the rules around it.
400 Final: 19-Year-Old Kirani James Wins Grenada's First Olympic Gold In The 400 Luguelin Santos took silver and Lalonde Gordon bronze. Kirani James is Mr. Clutch at age 19. Incredible.
*Grenada Prime Minister Declares National Holiday To Celebrate Kirani James' 400 Win
SI: US 400m Dynasty Comes To An End
*MB: Kirani James 43.94!!!!
Paralympics Opening Ceremony Is Wednesday
- RR Kenyan Paralympic Team Captain Really Wants To Win Gold As She'll Get Money And Be Able To Upgrade Her Painful $29.73 Prosthetic Leg Safaricom is apparently giving out $11,900 for a gold. A new leg costs $500 +. "Many Kenyan people fear the disabled. They don't want to become friends. ... Some make you sad. If somebody looks at you and start feeling fear in you, you think what's happening with me."
- Oscar P Hoping To Learn From Olympic Mistakes In Paralympics He says he wasn't patient enough in the Olympics.
- Unreal: Some Paralympians Purposely Stick Pins In Their Testicles/Break Their Toes To Get PED-Like Boost
- With 2.4 Million Tickets Already Sold, Paralympics May Be Completely Sold Out The opening ceremony is Wed.
- Paralympic Star Wouldn't Give Up His Accomplishments To Get Legs Back
- Members Of Team GB Welcomed To Athletes' Village
- Kenyan Paralympians Party With VP In Olympic Village
- Meet Some Of Jamaica's Paralympians
Seasons & Careers Coming To An End
Surprising: Aussie Long Jumper Mitchell Watt - Who Is Leading DL Points Race - Calls It A Season As His Achilles Is Hurting
She'll Be Missed: Heptathlete Carolina Klüft Will Get To Bow Out In Style This Weekend In 4 X 400 Younger people may not realize how good Klüft once was. She won the 2004 Olympic Hept by 517 points.
He Won't Be Missed: France's 8:12 Steepler Nour-Eddine Gezzar Given 10 Year EPO Ban When someone is PRing by 12 seconds after a doping ban, you know they are doping again.
Two Recommended Reads
- RR1: Sylvia Ruegger Still Has The Canadian Marathon NR From 1985 (2:28:36), But Thinks It Could Go Down At The Toronto Waterfront Marathon On Oct. 14 "When I wrote that dream I never thought about the cost ... I thought the only thing that would keep me from achieving the dream would be my own unwillingness to work hard enough and give enough. ... When people would say what did you give I would say, what did I not give?"
- RR2: Science Of The Sport Looks At The Lance Armstrong Case And Breaks It Down Piece-By-Piece For those who still defend Armstrong or those on the fence and not sure what to think, this is a must read. It addresses the most common questions and positions people have raised when it comes to USADA's case against him such as "But he never failed a test" and "Why bother with testing if it doesn't work?"
More Results From The Weekend
- Sad Update: Meet Offical Killed By Javelin Throw Accident *MB Thread
- IAAF Recap Of Dubnica Meet: Dawn Harper Wins 100H Over Queen Harrison And Canadian Priscilla Lopes-Schliep Abraham Rotich won the 1,000 in 2:17.08 over Jeff Riseley (2:17.63) and Olympic 800 bronze medalist Timothy Kitum (2:17.96). Duane Solomon was 4th (2:19.53). Kenyan junior Edwin Melly won the 800 in 1:45.82. In the women's 1,000, Brenda Martinez got the win with an identical time (2:38.48) to Marina Arzamasava, who was actually the race pacemaker. *Full Results
- Penn State Alumni Started Their Attempt Yesterday To Break 1,000 Mile Relay WR For Kevin Dare Foundation Ryan Foster leads a team where each runner will run 5 miles and then get a 4-hour break before having to run again. They have to average 5:57 pace.
- Stephen Mokoka Was Surprised To Run Such A Fast Time At SA Half Marathon Champs (60:57) So Soon After Running The Olympic Marathon
- David Roche And Megan Kimmel Win US 10k Trail Champs Bobby Mack was 2nd.
- Brighton Chipere Won The Inaugaral Mandela Day Marathon In 2:28:32 On A Tough Course
- IAAF Recap Of Spanish Champs: European 1,500m Bronze Medallist David Bustos Wins Tactical Race
- IAAF Recap Of Swedish National Champs Johanna Lehtinen won an unusual 1,500/10,000m double (4:18/33:25).
*Swedish Champs Celebrate A Century At Stockholm Stadium
- Oscar Pistorius Will Try To Defend His Three Paralympic Titles Defending titles in the 100m, 200m and 400m, and also running the 4 x 100.
- UK Paralympic Cyclist Lashes Out At Paralympic Track Athletes "There are some sports which just have a laugh. ... The para-cycling team won 17 gold medals and three silvers in Beijing from a squad that was only 13 strong. Athletics had 30-odd people there and they won two golds, so where's that money gone? Scrap all their funding, give it to cyclists and we'll win double the medals we do already."
Other Weekend Action: German Fernandez 3:40; Yuki Kawauchi Runs Another Marathon
- German Fernandez Runs 3:40.71 For Comfortable Win In Low-Key Belgium Meet
- Bad: A 75-Year-Old Track Official Is In Critical Condition After Being Speared Through The Throat By A Javelin At A German Youth Meet
- Olympic Marathon Runners Stephen Mokoka And Rene Kalmer Defend Their SA Half Marathon Titles Mokoka ran pretty fast here (60:57), but was only 49th at the Olympics in 2:19:52.
- Yuki Kawauchi Wins Hokkaido Marathon By Over 3 Minutes In 2:18:38
- Dubnica: Results should be posted here eventually.
- Hakone Ekiden Champs Toyo University Win Hood To Coast Relay
- Paul Maina Wins Hot Weather Safaricom Mombasa Marathon In 2:12:26
- Leverkusen: Germany's Olympic Silver Medallist Bjorn Otto Wins PV In 5.71m
Olympians: Vivian Cheruiyot Might Not Race Next Year And Might Run The Marathon In 2016
- Good Read: We Could See Vivian Cheruiyot In The Marathon In 2016, But We Might Not See Her At All Next Year If She Takes A Year Off To Start A Family You might not have known Cheruiyot's first Games were back in 2000 when she was only 16. She skipped 2004 so she could focus on her education, so London was her third.
- NY Times: Sanya Richards-Ross And Nick Symmonds Continue The Fight Against Rule 40 Symmonds: "To have someone like Sanya come in and publicly speak out is really what this cause needs. I'm not afraid to put my opinions out there, but I'm not as decorated as Sanya. When she steps forward, people listen."
- Sally Pearson Says She And Other Olympians In Australia Have To Train On A Track That Is "Falling Apart" Because No One Will Pay To Have It Fixed
Mo Farah/Usain Bolt News
Olympic 5,000m Final Was So Loud That Finish Line Camera Shook And The Official Finish Photo Was Blurry For The First Time Ever It
didn't happen in any other
race in London. Farah mania > Bolt mania in London.
Mo Farah's Wife Gives Birth To Twin Girls
Usain Bolt Gets Honored At Manchester United Halftime
More Lance Armstrong News *Get Your Own "Cheat To Win" Bracelet
- Alan Abrahamson Breaks Down Lance Armstrong Case
- Is The Olympic HGH Test Ready For The NFL?
- Philip Hersh Pieces Together The Lance Armstrong Puzzle: What Does His Decision Mean? By dropping the fight, Armstrong has spared himself the bad publicity of having all those witnesses testify against him. Apparently his lawyers have written to USADA threatening further legal action too.
- InsideTheGames: Armstrong Decision Not To Fight Drug Charges Set To Spark Jurisdiction Row Between WADA And UCI
- So Who Gets Lance's Titles? Apparently No One, Since Almost All The Runners-Up For 7 Years Were Cheats Too All but one runner-up since Lance's first win in 1999 has been banned at some point for drug use as well.
- SI Column: "Armstrong ended his fight over doping, but who really cares?" "This was a case between a likely drug cheat and obsessive, unlikeable prosecutors, fueled by other drug cheats as witnesses. If this were divorce court and I were a judge, I'd give all the money to the dog."
- This Is A Problem: Columnist: Armstrong's Image Won't Be Hurt Because "Drugs and doping have become so commonplace now that the public is increasingly blasé about them."
- NY Times: "He was the best cyclist of his time, in maybe the dirtiest sport in existence."
- Travis Tygart On Armstrong Case: "This is the most witnesses we've ever had in any case come forward." New York Times
Lausanne DL *Full Results
LRC: Matt Centrowitz Runs 3:31.96 For Third The twenty-two-year-old American continued to roll as in his first race post-London, he skipped the 3:32s and 3:33s to run 3:31.96 and come close to the win in Lausanne.
*Video Of Centro's Race
*MB: CENTRO 3:31!! *What the hell happened? Centro 3:31, Rupp DNF, Manzano/Willis 3:34
Results: Yohan Blake 9.69, Usain Bolt 19.58, Pamela Jelimo Over Mariya Savinova, Matt Centrowitz 3:31, Leo Manzano 3:34, Galen Rupp DNF The two Jamaican sprint stars came to play in Lausanne. But the mid-d and distance action left you wondering how the Olympic results were as they were. In the 1,500, the American silver medallists didn't really show up as Leo Manzano was 10th and Galen Rupp didn't finish, as Silas Kiplagat got the win and Matt Centrowitz showed why he's the best American miler when healthy. In the women's 800, Pamela Jelimo got the win over the 2012 Olympic champion, and in the 3,000, Jenny Simpson was dead last - proving in our minds that her problems in 2012 aren't a matter of confidence or tactics, but rather of fitness.
*IAAF Recap *AP *BBC
*MB: The Good: CENTRO 3:31!! *9.69 - My head just exploded
The Bad: What the hell happened? Centro 3:31, Rupp DNF, Manzano/Willis 3:34
The Ugly: JennyB needs a new coach fast
Monday/More Weekend Track Action
- Monday In Linz, Austria: Kirani James, Felix Sanchez Impress Overall recap.
- *Men's 1,000m: Seurei Wins, Nate Brannen 2:16.52, Over Nick Willis (Missed NZ Record By .01), Wheating, Torrence Willis for some reason was getting top billing earlier. Brannen deserves it. He is in fabulous shape and fell in London. Kirani James won the 400 (44.46) as Oscar P was 6th (46.91). In the 800, Hannah England ran 1:59.66 to beat Anna Pierce and Molly Beckwith. Felix Sanchez won the 400H; Michael Tinsley was 3rd. Other action included a poor steeple showing by Bridget Franek (9:52.90) and bronze medallist Kellie Wells losing to US runners Ginnie Crawford and Queen Harrison in the 100H. *Full Results *Cory Martin Wins City Shot *MB: Brannen 2:16:52 1000m
- Budapest: Christian Taylor, Sanya Richards-Ross (200) And Jason Richardson All Win In Budapest Olympic bronze medallist Timothy Kitum won the 800. *IAAF Recap
- Sunday In Warsaw, Poland: Reese Hoffa Defeats Gold Olympic Medallist Tomasz Majewski Again To Win Shot Pot Other US action at the meet included Jeneba Tarmoh winning the 100 in 11.30, Duane Solomon taking 3rd in the 400 (46.07), Leo Manzano 4th in the 800 (1:47.84) as Kenya's Nicholas Koech won in 1:46.12 and Brenda Martinez winning the 1,500 (4:20.31). *Full Results
- Saturday In Germany: Olympic Champion Ivan Ukhov Finishes A Terrible 5th Place In HJ Meet As Bronze Medallist Mutaz Essa Barshim Wins Over Robbie Grabarz He blames some recent weight loss on affecting his form.
More Post-London News
- Recommended Read: Mo Farah Has An Identical Twin Brother Who Was Separated From Him By Their Parents And Stayed Behind In War-Torn Somalia Hassan Farah: "Of course Mo and I were on a par as runners. ...Who knows what I could have become? We could have been famous twin Olympic athletes. ... We share the same genes."
- NZ Coach On Nadzeya Ostapchuk's Masculine Appearance: "She'd frighten a police horse, she would."
Olympic Track & Field *Daily Schedule/Results *Complete T&F Schedule *LRC Check Prediction Contest Scores/Change Picks
Saturday: W800: LRC The World Champion Is Now The Olympic Champion As Mariya Savinova Wins Comfortably Over Caster Semenya (updated) Russia's Mariya Savinova came from way back to win the gold comfortably in 1:56.19 and retain her global superiority. Caster Semenya had a blazing last
100 to grab the silver, but waited
way too long to kick to challenge for gold. Defending champ Pamela Jelimo led with 200 to go, but faded badly and was the first outside the medals.
*David Epstein: "Silver Medal in 800 meters Offers Little Clarity in Semenya Speculation" Talks about speculation as to how Semenya came out of nowhere again to get silver and points out how those who objected to her in the past (such as Savinova) seem to be fine with her now that she's losing.
Saturday Relay Action:
- Bolt Is 6-For-6: Usain Bolt And Jamaica Make History With A New 4 X 1 World Reocrd (36.84) Bolt gets his back-to-back triple crowns. The US was second, actually equalling the old WR, but still well beaten by Jamaica. *IAAF Event Report
- Tim Layden: "In a Games filled with memorable moments, few resonate like Bolt"
- It Was A Disappointing Games For "White Lightning" Christophe Lemaitre This article was from before the 4 x 1 final, but we doubt he's any happier, as France just missed a medal.
- US Women Win 4 X 4 Relay With Fastest Time In 19 Years Allyson Felix gets her 3rd gold medal of the games, Sanya Richards-Ross her 2nd. Richards-Ross said, "By the time I got the stick, it was basically a victory lap." *MB: ALLYSON FELIX JUST SPLIT 48.8
W 5,000: LRC Meseret Defar Stunningly Stops The Coronation Of Tiruneh Dibaba The script was all set. Tirunesh Dibaba was to complete the "Double Double" and become the first women track athlete with four individual golds. Only thing was, the person making history ended up being Meseret Defar.
*Reuters Defar's golden focus pays dividends Defar said she's had great health and says she changed training to prepare for a tactical race. The religious Defar says she feels "born again."
*Defar Says She Will Now Move Up To The Marathon She's ran one half before in 67:45. Dibaba has said she's making the same move, so their rivalry isn't over yet.
Could Be Was Epic:
LRC David Rudisha Becomes A Legend By Winning Gold With A World Record In The Greatest 800 Race In History updated David Rudisha went after in London and delivered, as he became the first person to break 1:41 in the 800. The rest of the field went after Rudisha and delivered as well as 7 of 8 runners PRed in a truly epic race where places 1-8 set new all-time best time-for-place marks. Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds became the 2nd and 3rd Americans to break 1:43 and amazingly neither medalled.
*MB: Rudisha 1:40.91 WORLD RECORD!!
*Epstein: How low can Rudisha go in 800?
*Science Of The Sport Analyzes The Olympic 800 Final And Rudisha's Race Strategy
LRC Duane Solomon And Nick Symmonds React To Their Historic Olympic 800s That Leave Them Short Of The Medals The sub-1:43 club has two more Americans. Unbelievably both of them will leave London without medals. Nick Symmonds ran faster in the final than he thought was humanly possible for him.
*IAAF Article On Rudisha's WR 17-year-old Kenyan Timothy Kitum, who got bronze, said, "[Rudisha] told me he was going to go fast for the line. He advised me not to follow him and to go for silver. That's why (Mohammed) Aman failed. That was our plan."
*Usain Bolt & David Rudisha: Olympic Stars United In Greatness The 800 was crazy; British runner Andrew Osagie's 1:43.77 was enough to get him 4th all-time UK and would have won any of the past three Olympic finals ... but here it got him last.
*Ultimate Track Showdown: Bolt Vs. Rudisha Over 400 Both have hinted they'd be up for it. Props to whatever meet organizer makes this happen. *MB: More Dominant: Bolt or Rudisha ?
LRC Column/Editorial: Sarah Attar Makes Olympic Track And Field History For Saudi Arabia In 800m, But Is It Enough? Imagine the outrage if the South African delegation made its black athletes walk behind the whites and told them to not give interviews or mingle with whites."It's time for the IOC to stop supporting sexism. Gender discrimination should be treated no differently than racial discrimination. ... How about for a start, the Saudi women come out first at the closing ceremonies? Come out before anyone else enters the stadium, that would be a step in the right direction."
*LRC Meet Sarah Attar - Saudi Arabia's First Female Track & Field Athlete The woman who will make history in traditional Islamic attire at the Olympics is a Pepperdine sophomore who runs in shorts during the collegiate season. She's never run an 800 in college, but that's what she'll run in London.
*Alberto Salazar Says Mo Farah And Galen Rupp Are Feeling Recovered And Ready For 5k
*Allyson Felix Looking For Redemption In 200 As All 3 Americans Advance To The Final
*Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Prepare For The 200 Showdown In What They Both Consider Their Best Event
*Asafa Powell Won't Compete In Jamaican 4 X 1 Due To Injury He's out for the rest of the season, but plans on being back in 2013.
- 100 Hurdles: Sally Pearson Wins Gold In Olympic Record As US Athletes Take Spots 2 Through 4 Dawn Harper took silver and said, "I feel like I kind of shut some people up. You got to talk about Dawn a little bit." Kellie Wells was 3rd, Lolo Jones 4th.
*RR: Tim Layden: Jones Misses Glory In 100 Hurdles While Manzano Wraps Historic 1,500 "Because of the compressed nature of multiple-gold medal nights in the Games, it is not uncommon for journalists to find themselves stuck in the basement, watching history on a tiny screen while collecting quotes from athletes who performed in earlier events. It is unavoidable. Yet this moment was far more instructive."
*Lolo Jones Leaving The Olymipcs "Broken-Hearted" Again
- HJ: Russia's Ivan Ukhov Wins HJ Gold As US's Erik Kynard Gets Silver And Jesse Williams A Disappointing 9th Ukhov's come a long way since trying to high jump drunk at a meet back in 2008.
*Top-Ranked UK HJer Robbie Grabarz Finishes In A 3-Way Tie For Bronze Tied with Canada's Derek Drouin and Mutaz Essa Barshim of Qatar.
- Discus: Robert Harting Celebrates Discus Gold By Doing Lap Of Honor And Going Over Hurdles Set Up For The 100H Final He also ripped his shirt; officials tried to stop him. Definitely a discus thrower we'll remember.
IAAF Full Tuesday Recap
- TJ: After All The Drama, Phillips Idowu Fails To Make TJ Final
- Shot Put: Nadzeya Ostapchuk Defeates NZ's Valerie Adams To Get Shot Put Gold For Belarus
*Valerie Adams Admits Having To Deal With Her Name Being Omitted From Official Start List Stressed Her Mentally As She Failed To Defend SP Title
- USATF: All Expected US Athletes Move Through Tuesday Qualifying Rounds Smoothly
Stop The Wedding!
OH NO: Love Of Employee #1's Life, Ivet Lalova, Getting Hitched To Another Man She's marying Italian sprinter Simone Collio. *MB: Ivet Lalova Blows Employee #1 a Kiss... *Employee #1's Classic Interview
Olympic Marathoners Past & Present In The News
- After Olympic DNF, Ryan Hall's Film Is Pushed Back To 2013 Release As They'll Now Cover His NYC Preparations
- Eddy H Doesn't Show Up For Court - Warrant Issued For His Arrest
- Chris Miltenberg Named As Stanford Director Of T&F And Head XC Coach
- And So It Begins: Preseason Division I Regional Cross-Country Rankings *D2 Rankings *D3 Regional *D3 National
- Russell Brown Interview: Still Rehabbing From His Injury Which Kept Him From A Legitimate Shot At Making London 2012 "Growing up in New England, you just learn to embrace the weather. By the time I was ready for college though, I had done enough embracing. That's why Stanford was such an easy sell."
- Running Times: 5 Minutes With Natosha Rogers
Collegiate News: NCAA XC Is Just Around The Corner
- RW Brief Chat With Trials 10k Runner-Up Natosha Rogers "It wasn't a disappointment, but it was almost just kind of like a slap in the face because, I mean, I did get second and I think I kind of proved myself. But you have to go by the rules, so ..."
- Running Times Piece On Lawi Lalang's To Stardom Coach Li Says Lalang is stronger aerobically than Bernard Lagat was at his age.
Nick Symmonds' Beer Mile AR
Lausanne 1,500: Centro 3:31.96
- Lananna No Longer The Head Coach At Oregon, Maurica Powell Rejoins Program As Assistant
- Internal Disciplinary Procedures Against Athletics SA (ASA) CEO Frik Vermaak Surrounding Misappropriation Of Funds At Another Company
Non-DL Weekend Action
- Scotty Bauhs, Jeffrey Eggleston & Ethiopian Tesfaye Sendeku Highlight Elite Field For Sunday's San Diego's America's Finest City Half Marathon
The Only Thing Worse Than Cheating Is Cheating And Then Lying About It
- SF Giants Star Melky Cabrera Tests Positive & Admits It "My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used."
*MB: A Doper I Respect: SF Giants Star Melky Cabrera Tests Positive & Admits It
Saturday Photo Gallery: Usain And Mo
Goodbye London 2012 - Closing Ceremony Photos Gallery
LRC Asks Carmelita Jeter & Jason Richardson About Mark Block
Latest: Britain's Sunday Herald Picks Up Block Story & USADA Says "There is an investigation going on."
*Pat Forde Of Yahoo Sports Picks Up On Controversy
LRC Carmelita Jeter And Jason Richardson Answer Questions About Banned Agent Mark Block LRC's Weldon Johnson asked Jeter and Richardson about their association with banned agent Mark Block. Jeter and Richardson, to their credit, didn't dodge the questions. To say there was tension in the air is an understatement. *Discuss
*Associated Press Picks Up Story: US sprinter Carmelita Jeter defends friendship with suspended agent Mark Block
*The Guardian Picks Up Story: "A wonderful night for the USA's athletics team turned sour when Carmelita Jeter was questioned about her links with the controversial former coach, Mark Block."
*NY Daily News *Daily Mail *San Diego Tribune
Day 8 Olympic Photo Gallery: Women's 4 X 100 WR, Uceny Falls, Women's 5,000m Final
Day 7 Olympic Photo Gallery: Rudisha And Bolt
Day 6 Photo Gallery: Allsyon Felix, Aries Merritt, Brittney Reese, Women's 1,500m Semis
Day 5 Photo Gallery: Leo 1,500m Silver, Men's High Jump, Men's 800m Semis, Men's Discus Final
Day 4 Photo Gallery: King James, Felix Sanchez, Jenn Suhr, Women's Steeple
Day 3 Photo Gallery: Men's 100, Men's Steeple, Women's 400, More
Women's Olympic Marathon Photo Gallery
Day 2 Photo Gallery: Olympic 10,000m Final Photo Gallery
Day 1 Friday Photo Gallery: Women's 10k And Men's Shot Final, Round 1 Steeple, 1,500
Help Out A LRCer Who Has Terminal Cancer: Help Cancer Guy
A Legend Passes Too Young
LRC Eight-Time US Cross-Country Champion Pat Porter Dies In Plane Crash Updated: We've added a great photo of Porter with 3-time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings.
*Authorities: "There are no indications as to what may have caused this accident." Porter and his 15-year-old son and a neighbohood friend have perished.
Usain Bolt The Video Game Is Out
LRC Usain Bolt The Video Game For Iphone/Ipod - Q & A With Friend Of LRC Matt Taylor Bolt!, the Usain Bolt Iphone/Ipod free video game was released yesterday. We talk to LRC guest columnist Matt Taylor, who was instrumental in the game coming to fruition.