The US Olympic Trials *Results *TV Schedule *LRC Trials YouTube Channel *Photos: Day 1 (10ks), Day 2 (Eaton), Day 3 (100, 400), Day 4 *Check Prediction Contest Scores *LRC Day-By-Day Coverage
- 100m Dead Heat Controversy Continues: SI's Tim Layden Gives A Behind The Scenes Account Roger Jennings: "If I hadn't protested myself, I'm not sure anyone else would have."
- Coin Flip Or Runoff: Gatlin, Mo Greene And Others Give Their Input
- Mo Greene Says Hava A Runoff With 30-Minute TV Special Justin Gatlin caught some backlash for joking about using "Jell-O wrestling" to break the tie.
- Whatever The Outcome, Felix & Tarmoh Will Both Go On The 4 X 1 Don't expect to hear any updates until after the 200.
- Decathlon : Bryan Clay Will Not Chase An Olympic Spot
- Dan O'Brien Says Don't Expect Ashton Eaton To Break The WR Again In London More competitors and delays makes it harder to establish a rhythm.
- In Case You Missed This: Curtis Beach: "I just thought it would be better for Ashton to win as he broke the world record."
- Should Eugene Be Permanent Site Of Trials?
Canadian Marathoners Lanni Marchant & Krista DuChene Are Denied Entry Into Olympics Despite Having "A" Standard They didn't meet the stricter Athletics Canada standard.
*MB: Canadians: What is up with your crazy Olympic qualifying process?
Cheruiyot Vs. Dibaba In London, African Champs Start Today
- Vivian Cheruiyot Says Does Not Fear Facing Tirunesh Dibaba At The Olympics We've said Dibaba is probably better since she crushed Meseret Defar, whom Cheruiyot barely beat. However, Cheruiyot claims she was nursing an injury for those races.
- World Steeple Champ Ezekiel Kemboi Moving To The Marathon After 2012
- African Champs: Caster Semenya & Amantle Montsho Highlight For many SA athletes, this is one of their last shots at the "A."
*Science Community Continues To Debate Oscar P It all might be irrelevant, though, if he fails to hit the 45.3 "A" standard before the selection deadline.
- July 6th: Sally Pearson & David Rudisha to Run Paris DL Meet
- Sad News: Australian Olympic Sprinter Daniel Batman Killed In Car Crash The 45.02 man competed in the 2000 Games.
*Disabled Sprinter And Swimmer Robert Lloyd Bruce Found Dead In Home At 40 Years Old
Olympic Trials Monday
Hayward, Nick Symmonds,
Makes It 5 In A Row, KD Goes To London And So Does Duane Solomon Nick Symmonds ran faster than any American ever at Hayward field (1:43.92) to get the dominant win, veteran rival Khadevis Robinson "KD" made his second team, and the Johnny Gray-coached Duane Solomon came up huge with a PR and "A" standard to book his ticket to london. Recap and analysis. *Race
*Nick Symmonds, KD, And Duane Solomon Get Olympic Spots
*USA Today Article On Symmonds And Webb
*Unsponsored Mark Wieczorek PRs And Places Seventh In 800
*Great Pre-Race Article: KD is running with purpose
More Trials: Reuters Recap Of Monday At The Olympic Trials
- Lucky and Good: World Champion Jesse Williams Finish 4th But Makes Olympic Team The US almost lost a probable medal at the Trials, but forunately Williams still will go to London.
- Javelin: Oh-So-Close: Sam Humphreys Wins Javelin But Misses London By 14 Centimeters
- Third, Fourth And Fifth Place Finishers In Javelin Book Tickets To London
- Triple: Amanda Smock Wins Triple Jump, Will Be Only Woman To Go To London
- NY Times Picks Up On USATF Amateur Hour Theme In case you missed it, this theme was started in a Deadspin article that featured a LRC piece.
- More 100m: Justin Gatlin Has Lost Weight In Comeback
- Keston Bledman Runs 9.86 At Trinidad &Tobago Champs, Kelly-Ann Baptiste Dominates In 10.98 Someone needs to check the timing equipment down there.
- British Names Announced For European Squad And Dwain Chambers And Others Not On Squad Likely Will Be At Olympics
- Guy Morse Resigns As BAA Boston Marathon Race Director
- New IOC Sex Verification Rules Criticized New York Times
- Athletics Kenya Says Athletes Can't Leave Training Camp For Olympics Without Their Permission
- Isinbayeva Pulls Out of July 4th Meet To Delay Opening Of Outdoor Season
*Latest Sunday Photo
Gallery (Men's 100, Women's/Men's 400m, LJ, More)
Justin Gatlin Wins The 100, Tyson Gay Makes The Team, Jeremy Wariner Goes Home, And Gunshot Victim Bryshon Nellum Makes The Team Nellum is a great story, as he was shot in both legs and has been coming back from that. He did not even make the NCAA final but made the London team. Interview with him here.
- Men's 400m: Recommended Read Jeremy Wariner's Latest Defeat A Blow To Olympic Career Wariner walked through the interview area without stopping (video here) and that starts the author's article.
- Men's 100m: Justin Gatlin Wins The 100, Tyson Gay And Oregon Native Ryan Bailey Make The Team
- Women's 400m: Sanya Richards-Ross Runs 49.28 To Set Hayward Field Record In 400
- Shot Put: Reese Hoffa Wins Shot To Make His Third Olympic Team
- Discus: High Schooler Shelbi Vaughan Finishes 4th
- Long Jump: UT Football Player Marquise Goodwin Wins Long Jump
- Pole Vault: 32-Year-Old Former Oregon Duck Becky Holliday Finished 2nd To Make Team Behind Jenn Suhr
*Allison Stokke NO HEIGHT At 2012 US Olympic Trials Women's Pole Vault
LRC Ashton Eaton Sets WR & Mesmerizes On And Off The Track The former Oregon star
was sensational and got the world record after a big PR in
that sent the Hayward faithful into a frenzy. Afterwards, he sent the media into a frenzy with an amazing press conference.
LRC If You've Got 20 Minutes, Watch This Ashton Eaton Press Conference The world record holder is cerebral and fascinating.
Classy Move Of Year: Curtis Beach Lets Eaton Cross Line First As He Breaks WR - Eaton Wishes He "Could Be As Graceful" As Beach (link fixed) "I just thought it would be better for Ashton to win as he broke the world record."
*Eaton Uses Hayward Field Magic To Help Set World Record
*Ashton Eaton World Record Photo Essay
Olympic Champ Bryan Clay DQed In Hurdles *Clay, After Hurdles DQ: "It's The Worst Feeling Ever"
What About The Sport? LRC This Doesn't Have To Be The End For Bryan Clay; He Should Do A Decathlon Next Week
British Trials *Results *Post-Meet Interviews
- Sunday: Long Jumper Shara Proctor And Pole Vaulter Holly Bleasdale Set New British Records On Final Day Of British Trials
- James Ellington, Guy Who Auctioned Off His Sponsorship On Ebay, Runs 20.56 To Make Olympics In Britain
- A Look At Where British Selection For Olympics Stands After UK Trials
- 18-Year-Old 100m Sprinter Adam Gemili May Skip Olympics Despite Qualifying
Dwain Chambers Wins Shows 18-Year-Old Adam Gemili Who Is Boss & Wins UK 100m Trials Chambers still needs the 10.18 "A" standard. Mo Farah won his 1,500 heat easily in 3:47.51 and said he will definitely race Saturday's final. World 400H champ Dai Greene won his heat in 50.80.
*Chambers Yells "F*** Off" Repeatedly On Live TV In Exuberence After Big Win *Recommended Watch: Chambers Swears (also see below)
- Chambers: "I just wanted to win and you need that bit of anger in you, but I'm sorry and I didn't mean it. The dream is still alive."
800 Semis: LRC Fans Get What They Deserve - Two Stacked 800 Finals The big guns all made the final as the top 6 men's and women's seeds will all be in the final on Monday. *Monti: Mulder Upstages Symmonds In 800m Semifinals
Recommended Read: Sports Illustrated: Children of the Internet era, Alan Webb & Dathan Ritzenhein know intense scrutiny LetsRun.com gets a prominent mention in the Tim Layden piece on how Ritz & Webb have had careers full of scrutiny since they were HS phenoms. Layden is the same guy who wrote a 2001 piece on Ritz & Webb for SI.
MB: Webb on LetsRun: "Way back in the beginning, it was fun,..(but now) every single thing I do is scrutinized by some blogger."
Friday At The Trials - Day 1
Rupp Puts On A Clinic As The Sub-13 Guys Punch Their Tickets To London Galen Rupp won and the three sub-13:00 guys made the team but this race held in a downpour was full of drama. Chris Derrick continued his fine 2012 in fourth. Recap, splits, results, and post-race interviews.
LRC Day 1 Photos Gallery
LRC Men's Post-Race 10,000m Reaction
Recommended Read: NYRR Chairman George Hirsch Remembers Watching Emil Zatopek Complete 5,000, 10,000, Marathon Triple at 1952 Games New York Times
Trials Rest Day Distance Updates *Eugene Register-Guard First Half Recap
- Webb Speaks: Alan Webb On His Past Brilliance: "I sometimes wonder how I did it myself." "Maybe I inspired everybody too much, like I created a monster, and now I have to run against these guys."
*10-Minute Interview: Webb Trying To Figure It Out
- 1,500: Cornell Alum & World #1 Mogan Uceny Pumped To Gun For 1st Olympic Team
- 800: Unsponsored Mark Wieczorek Made Final And Also Was Washington's Cross Country Coach Of The Year
- 5,000: Julia Lucas & Lauren Fleshman Both Advance But In Different Ways
- 10k: Alberto Salazar Shares His Thoughts On The Ritz/Rupp Plan During The OT 10k
Jamaican Trials Start Tomorrow
- Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake And Asafa Powell Will Have Showdown In The 100 They have 7 under 10 seconds this year.
- Maurice Greene On Olympic 100m: "This race in London is going to be a lot closer than a lot of people think." Is Bolt vulnerable? He's only broken 9.80 twice this year and not by much.
- Live Streaming For Jamaican Olympic Trials Available in North America, the Caribbean and the UK. They say there will be a link to the stream here.
More Olympic Trials Monday Distance
LRC Montano Hangs
On, Gall Comes On, Schmidt Sneaks On, And Beckwith Has A 4-Year Wait Alysia Montano won as expected, but this one was close. 5 women were in contention for 3 Olympic spots and Molly Beckwith was the unlucky 4th place loser in a dramatic final 20 meters. *Race Video
LRC Alan Webb's 2012 Olympic Dream Is Over article link updated w comments from USA Today, SI The dad-to-be faded to last in his 5,000m heat and immediately after said he would not run the 1,500 at the Trials. It's soul-searching time for Alan Webb. Article, links and video.
LRC 5k Prelims: Alan Webb, Jackie Areson And Brie Felnagle Go Home - Lauren Fleshman Does Not Alan Webb finished last in his heat and then announced he won't be running the 1,500. Some other big names went home as well, including 2012 US #3 Jackie Areson.
LRC Steeple Prelims: All The Favorites Are Through As US Champ Billy Nelson Barely Makes The Final Former US Champ Steve Slattery did not advance. In the women's race, Emma Coburn showed why she's the favorite as she tempoed to victory in her heat while some others tried and failed to hit the "A" standard.
800m Final Photos (Click Below For gallery)
Monday On The Boards
- Nick Symmonds puts on a clinic - 800m
- play by plays for 5k and steeple - women and men
- Is it possible that Galen Rupp doesn't get a spot in the 5k?
- Rupp just dissed A. Bum
- Duane Solomon is a boss!!!
- KD!!! Congratulations!
- Its not Rocket Science why Webb is struggling, i can see it why cant he and Vig?
24 Hours Of Amateur Hour At USATF Comes To An End (In Case You Missed LRC Featured On The Homepage Of Deadpsin)
USATF Tie-Breaking Procedures Announced A run-off will break all ties unless BOTH athletes agree to a coinflip. We can't wait to see a run-off in a 10,000m.
Employee #1.1 Editorial: A Rule Still With A Million Loopholes USATF needs a rule that will solve all situations; this one does not.
Eugene Saturday *LRC Trials YouTube Channel
LRC The Inside Story Of How Jeneba Tarmoh First Saw The 100m Finish Photo On The LetsRun.com Laptop Roughly 3 Hours After The Race Carmelita
the 100m, but the story was the battle for the third spot between training partners Jeneba Tarmoh and Allyson Felix. At first,
Tarmoh was announced in third by .001 but then after
the stands had emptied, a dead
heat was announced. We thought we were the only ones not knowing what was going on, until next thing we knew Tarmoh was looking at the finish photo on Wejo's laptop (pic on right).
LRC An Exclusive Interview With The Man Responsible For Reading The Allyson Felix 100m Finish Picture LetsRun.com exclusively caught up Roger Jennings, the man whose job it is to determine who finished third and who got fourth, and the timing whiz explained how it was determined there was a dead heat. Plus we do a little bit of research and determine that even though USATF has said there is no protocol for breaking a tie, that the USATF rule book does in fact envision such a scenario and has a solution - a old-fashioned drawing of lots!!!
MB: BREAKING NEWS FELIX TIES FOR 3RD IN REVISED RESULTS??
MB: Exclusive Interview With Man Responsible For Reading Women's 100 Final (Allyson Felix's Race) Finish Image
*Official USATF Press Release
*Felix Video Interview After Her "4th Place" Finish
LRC Lolo Jones' Third Place Steals The Show In The Olympic Trials Hurdles Final Lolo turned around her season in 24 hours after a "reality meltdown" following round one. She said, "I woke up today and did not think I would make the team. I was fighting a constant head battle to get through this. I had my sports psychologist on speed dial 1, my pastor on speed dial 2, and my mom on speed dial 3 ..."
Shot Put Stunner: LRC 5-Time World/Olympic Silver Medallist & One-Time World Champ Adam Nelson Misses Final, Gives Emotional Presser And Advice For Us All Nelson may still compete but had great advice for us all: "When you do it the right way and you do it every single day, the hard work pays off time and time again." Full video and recap.
Friday's 10,000m At The Track Trials *LRC Day 1 Photos Gallery *LRC YouTube Channel *Day 1 Photos *Check Prediction Contest Scores *LRC Day-By-Day Coverage
LRC Women's 10,000m Amy Hastings Outkicks Suprising Natosha Rogers And Shalane Flanagan For Redemption This race had no drama for the Olympic spots the final mile but it was full of drama. Lisa Uhl's shoe came untied, Natosha Rogers fell and then got up and in the fourth 10k of her life beat Olympic medallist Shalane Flanagan. The laurel wreath went to Amy Hastings, the
place finisher at the Marathon Trials.
*LRC 10,000m Photos
Bekele Is Back/International News
Kenenisa Bekele Is Back As A Winner - Wins UK/Ethiopian Trials The King (27:02.59) beat his brother Tariku (27:03.24), Gebre Gebremariam (27:03.58), and Mr. Silver Sileshi Sihine (27:03.65) in the battle for the three Olympic spots and declared himself to be ready to defend his Olympic crown. "I hope to show to the world great things. Absolutely I am back, 100 per cent." *MB Discussion Of Race
Day 2 Photo Gallery (Eaton World Record)
Day 1 Trials Photo Gallery
LRC Hammer Time Kicks Off 2012 Olympic Trials Successfully And The First LetsRun.com Hammer Interview Ever With The Guy In The Green T-Shirt Best hammer throw we've ever seen. Plus the exclusive first-ever LetsRun.com hammer interview with the guy (Chris Cralle) who finished second in a plain green T-shirt.
*Kibwe Johnson And Amber Campbell Win Hammer Throws To Kick Off Olympic Trials In Portland
Non-Trials US News
- Ritz To Run 2012 BOA Chicago Marathon
- Born After 1984? Learn All About Michael Johnson's 200/400 Double In Atlanta And Most Importantly His Golden Nike Spikes "It might have been a little bit bragadocious, but you know what? He of all people, probably more than anybody in history, could back it up."
- Charles Van Commenee On Adam Gemili: "I am not sending my 12-year-old niece to fight al-Qaeda. We are going to the Games. It's fun."
- Farah's "Mobot" 40-Year-Old Sub-4:00 Miler Tony Whiteman Speaks Out On Mo Farah Showboating 100m From The Finish
- Not The Real Headline: After Showboating At British Champs, For Some Reason Mo Farah Is Racing A Bunch Of Scrubs At Euros
- HJer Robbie Grabarz & Discus Thrower Lawrence Okoye To Compete At London DL Meet July 13-14
Alan Webb's 2012 Olympic Dream Is Over (More On This Here (Link Fixed)). More Trials Videos Here
Tyler Mulder Showing The Emotion Of The Trials
BAA 10k 2012 BAA 10k Results
Geoffrey Mutai Runs 27:29 In Boston, Kim Smith Wins
We think Sam Chelanga still has a good chance to win $100,000 despite being crushed by nearly a minute.
Kenyan Trials *Mid-D/Distance Results
- King David Rudisha Runs 1:42.12 Altitude WR To Put Kenyan Crowd Into A Frenzy King David wasn't the only one to excite the crowd as even bigger cheers went
to Ezekiel Kemboi, who set the crowd afire when he pulled up to eventual steeple winner Brimin Kipruto and seemingly motioned to let him win with 50m to go before re-enacting his famous "Daegu jig" at the finish. Asbel Kiprop barely qualified (3rd) as Olympic champ Nancy Lagat, Linet Masai
and Paul Kipsiele Koech fell by the wayside.
*Kemboi's Dance Gets More Cheers Than Rudisha's Win
*MB: Rudisha's 1:42.12 NEW ALTITUDE WR!!! Brimin Kipruto 8:11 steeplechase and Isaiah Koech 13:09 as well, if this isn't a troll.
*MB: Kiprop 3rd: "It's a good thing that I did not win the Trials since the pressure that comes with it is too much."
- AP Recap: Rudisha, Jelimo And Cheruiyot Win
- Epic Battle In Steeple Will Be One Of Saturday's Highlights 3-time Olympic/world champ Ezekiel Kemboi is only the 6th fastest Kenyan in the world. The defending Olympic champ Brimin Kipruto is #51 in the world.
- Silas Kiplagat Will Treat 1,500 As Olympic Final "I am considering these trials as an Olympic final since you fail here and you live to regret for the next four years."
- Women's 5,000 & Finals Won't Be Bad Either
- Olympic 1,500m Champion Nancy Langat Is Now Healthy But In Battle Against Time To Make Olympic Team
- Day 1: Day 1 Recap - Most Favorites Advance But Leonard Kosencha & Augustine Choge Don't The big news on day 1 was that 17-year-old sensation and world #4 in the 800, Leonard Kosencha, who was suffering from an illness, didn't make the final. Might he get a wild card? 2008 Olympian Boaz Lalang also mis-timed his meals and was a DNF with cramps. Augustine Choge also bombed out of the 5k. *Discuss
- TIA: Kenyan Officials Change Start Time Of 800 And Boaz Lalang Had To Drop Out Because Of Eating His Breakfast Too Early
- David Rudisha Breezes To Finals & Gets Rave Reviews From All In Attendance Leonard Kosencha & Augustine Choge Fail Coach Colm O'Connell was very happy and even his fellow competitors seemingly have raised the white flag, as 2007 world champ Alfred Kirwa Yego said he's "happy being on the track with him" and that it's a "privilege" for Kenya to have Rudisha on their team.
- Pre-Meet: Mutwiri Mutuota's Preview
- Kenyan Olympic Trials Preview: Silas Kiplagat Says The 1,500 Final On Saturday Will Be A "Battle Of Men" Can Kiplagat or Nixon Chepseba challenge Asbel Kiprop? Heats are tomorrow.
LRC Exclusive: Timer Explains The Allyson Felix Tie
Matt Taylor Speaks #2
LRC Redefine Running: Who's In Charge Of "The Sport" (link fixed) Last week Matt Taylor, the guy behind ChasingTradition, ChasingKimbia, ChasingGlory, and an upcoming Usain Bolt video game, told you running was dying. This week he tells you it's thriving. He explains the inconsistency. While the activity of running is thriving, the sport is dead with the mainstream sports fan. In the internet era, diehards get their fix, while Joe Sports-Fan has no idea who Matt Centrowitz is. How do we fix this?