The US Olympic Trials Start Tomorrow (Hammer) *Schedule *TV Schedule - Coverage Starts Friday 9-11PM EST On NBCSN *LRC Previews: *M10k *W10k
LRC $200,012 LetsRun.com Brooks Trials Prediction Contest You asked for it, you got it. Our world-famous prediction contest is back and better than
ever. Even if you aren't good enough to win $200,012 for a perfect ballot, you can still win one of $1,500
in gift certificates from our sponsor Brooks. Be sure to get your friends who have never played before as the winner of the
group with the largest # of new players wins a $250 gift certificate.
LRC Day 1 Previews:
LRC M10k: Galen Rupp Is Heavily Favored, But Who Else Makes The Team? A record 13 guys who have broken 28 will toe the line to battle it out for three Olympic spots. Will tthe 3 previous Olympians who have all broken 13:00 in Rupp, Ritz and Teg take all 3 spots? Or will someone else knock them off? What about Bobby Curtis or Chris Derrick? Who will set the pace? Will Rupp wear his mask? This should be an epic race.
*Chris Derrick Gets Profile From Phil Hersh in Chicago Tribune Derrick said before NCAAs he'd prefer an Olympic spot to an NCAA title.
*RR: Running Times Does Long Galen Rupp Profile Prior To Trials: Is America's best distance runner's contentment a weakness, or a strength?
*No Shoe Contract, But 2012 US XC Champ Bobby Mack Is Ready
If He Hadn't Run 12:58 And 26:48, We'd Say This Is Idiotic:
Since 12:58 At Pre, Alberto Salazar Has Had Glaen Rupp Make Huge Form Changes "We made some big changes," Salazar said. "Now, I like the way his upper body looks in terms of relaxation. We made a huge, huge jump over 10 days. The change is amazing."
MB: Salazar Uses Rupp As A Guinea Pig
LRC W10k: Will Shalane Flanagan Get The Win In Midst Of Marathon Training? Before the race even starts, we think we know who is going to the Olympics unless full-time CPA Alisha Williams somehow pulls off a shocker for the ages and sees her dream season (during which she's already gone from 33:17 to 32:03) continue all the way to London. Is that possible? Will Shalane Flanagan be able to get victory over Lisa Uhl and Amy Hastings in the midst of heavy marathon preparations?
*Deborah Maier Has Rare Ability To Bounce Back From Injury
RR: Catching Up With 2000 Olympic Trials 1,500 Champ Gabe Jennings The former Stanford star reveals he's just graduated from Oregon law school and he now roots for the Ducks. He hasn't ruled out a return to the sport in the 800 and says in his heyday Nike only paid him $20k per year.
*If Oregon-Based Runners Sweep 1,500, Vin Lananna Says He'll Shave His Beard To Please Andrew Wheating "If I see another Oregon sweep," he said. "I will shave my beard."
*A Brief Chat With A Confident Morgan Uceny Prior To Trials The world #1 in the 1,500 says she's had no setbacks and is running faster than ever for this time of year. She also says she knew Ethiopia's Abeba Aregawi was someone to watch out for.
*John Cook Is Happy With David Torrence Heading Into The Trials - Nike Not So Much Nike HQ expressed their disapproval as he got caught in a photograph not wearing Nike.
Non-Distance Trials News:
*Oregon Cops Clean Up Before Fans Show Up - Serial masturbator, who liked running parks as his location, arrested
*Hammer throw take the spotlight on Thursday The Trials begin with the Hammer at Nike HQ on Thursday
*USA Today: Bruce Jenner Used To Be More Famous Than The Kardashian
*Bryan Clay Hoping To Be 1st Athlete To Medal In 3 Olympic Decathlons
*Could USA's Decathletes Sweep In London? Bryan Clay Has Dinner With Bruce Jenner Jenner: "It's kind of scary to have somebody in my house that's actually scored more points than me," Jenner says. "It's the first time that's ever happened. "I keep telling all my kids that ... and all the girls are going like, 'Yeah, OK, big deal.'"
*200/400 Man Michael Johnson Tells Allyson Felix - Don't Do What I Did - Run 200 Only
*Shoe Companies Gearing Up For Olympics Fans of Robby Andrews, breathe easy - adidas shoes are 25% lighter than they were 4 years ago.
*Many Olympic Legends Will Be Honored At Trials Billy Mills, Carl Lewis, Dick Fosbury, Joan Benoit and on and on. Even Jim Thorpe, who will be represented by his sons.
Previous Trials News
- Dathan Ritzenhein Doing The 10,000 At The Trials He still needs the "A" standard, so will Rupp rabbit for Ritz?
- Jen Rhines Scratches From The 10K Now the race only has 3 with the "A" standard who aren't already going in the marathon, so if it's not a fast race, they just have to finish.
- Brief Chat With Lisa Uhl Ahead Of Her 10k/5k Double
- Stephanie Rothstein Hoping The 10k Goes Out Fast So She Can Try For The "A" She's the fiancée of steepler Ben Bruce.
- No 400 For Felix: Allyson Felix Doing The 100-200 Double
- RRW Interview With Jenny Simpson Some interesting tidbits about what she does with her running memorabilia.
- Robby Andrews Says He Learned A Lot From His Race Against David Rudisha *MB: Robby Andrews hasnt declared in 800
- RR: 10 Years Ago, Minnesota Senior Harun Abda Fled Ethiopia And Now Will Compete At The US Trials He has dual citizenship and gave up a chance to run for Ethiopia to run the US Trials (he's ranked 2nd this year in Ethiopia, but only 15th in the US).
- Tomorrow: Complete Guide And Preview To The OT Hammer Throw
- Is Jackie Areson A Threat To Make The Olympic 5k Team? In her first year as a pro, she's undefeated over 5k and ran a big PR of 15:14.
- Olympic Power Couple: NCCA Champ Brianne Theisen On Her Fiance, Ahston Eaton: "Mark my words. I think he's bringing home the gold."
*Eaton: "I honestly think it would affect my performance if she [Theisen] didn't go." Eaton also says he thinks he can get the decathlon WR "sooner than later."
- Lolo Jones' Wait For Redemption Is Almost Over
- Despite Some Bad Early Races, Jeremy Wariner Talking Confident Talks about how his rivalry with LaShawn Merritt is partly what got him injured as it motivated him to over-train in practice.
- Quick Q&A With Tyson Gay
Other US News
- David Rudisha's Recent Star Pacemaker Matt Scherer Happy To Be "Relevant Again"
- Ken Goe Disagrees With Max Siegel And Stephanie Hightower That Youth Development Should Be The Primary Focus Of The USATF Goe: "Little League is important to Major League Baseball, but the Major Leagues aren't trying to promote and administer it."
- EatRunSwag Blogger Reveals Embarrassing Moment Caught On Tape During An Emma Coburn Race Good for laugh.
- OSU Finally Has A Track
More Weekend Action Of Note
- Russia: Yekaterina Poistogova's 4:00.11 1,500m Highlights Znamensky Memorial Russian Meet Her previous best was 4:13.1. We know what you're thinking when you read this.
- Belgium: Kevin Borlée's 44.56 Is The Fastest Time By A European In Nearly 5 Years
- USATF Jrs: More On Tyreek Hill's 10.28 And 20.57 Double
- France: Lemaitre's 9.94 And 20.31 Double Highlight French Champs
- Jamaica: Julian Forte's 20.38 Wins Jamaican Junior Trials, He'll Take On Tyreek Hill At World Juniors
- New Hampshire: Sage Canaday Wins Mt. Washington Road Race In 3rd-Fastest Time Sage was the youngest Olympic Trials Marathon qualifier in 2007 when he was coached by Rojo at Cornell.
Lukas Verzbicas Wins His First World Cup Triathlon The sub-4:00 miler beat 2 of the top 5 in the world. Think how dominant the USA would be at running without the Africans, and what
you have left is the triathlon.
On The Boards: Verzbicas wins ITU World Cup, drops a 30:55 on the run leg
- Mo Farah Will Run European Champs Next Week While The Rest Of British Track Olympians Won't Why are Europeans even taking place if the top athletes won't be there?
- Steve Cram Thinks His 20-Year-Old Protégé Laura Weightman Can Make Olympic Team At 1,500
- 18-Year-Old British Sprint Sensation Adam Gemili Doing British Olympic Trials
- UK Jr. Trials Recap IAAF
- Friday: Kenenisa Bekele Running UK Trials 10,000 To Prove Form To Ethiopian Selectors His brother Tariku Bekele is in the race as well. Mo Farah is in the 1,500.
Talking About The Sport
- Vin Lananna Wants To Bring The 2019 World Championships To Eugene The US has never hosted Worlds because it doesn't have a track stadium big enough to do it. But Lananna wants to upgrade Hayward Field so that it can. If Hayward field can't get 15,000 for the Pre meet and doesn't have enough hotels for the Olympic Trials, can it really host Worlds? We like the bold vision, however.
- Register-Guard Columnist Asks Is Eugene Big Enough To Host Worlds? It's Called Track Town, Not "Track City" Points out that the Moscow, Beijing, and London (hosts in 2013, '15, and '17) are all big cities with huge populations. He argues that Eugene lacks the hotels/roads/restaurants necessary to host Worlds.
- Ken Goe Looks At The Pros And Cons Of Moving The Next Olympic Trials To Des Moines
As we've said before, it shouldn't be in Eugene. It needs to rotate to generate excitement. We're not sure if Des Moines is the solution. The attendance for NCAAs dropped 50% in 4 years. It should be in a big media market or Eugene seems okay.
- USATF CEO Max Siegel Says He Wants To Get Track Out Of Its "Once-Every-Four-Years" Mentality "I'm not naïve enough to think that we can go head to head with the N.B.A. or the N.F.L., but I certainly think we can create a lot of awareness, increase our viewership significantly."
- Vin Lananna Pushing For More Fan-Friendly NCAA Meet
- WADA Financial Issues Will Cause Them To Scale Back Their Testing If Can't Generate More Income
Usain Bolt Outlining His Victory Speech For London 2012 "At the end of London 2012, I want to go into the press conference and say before anyone asks me a question - 'You are now looking at a living legend.'"
*GB's 2008 Olympic 400 Hurdles Bronze Medallist Tasha Danvers Has Announced Retirement And Revealed She Attempted Suicide Last Year
*Adam Gemili Runs 3rd-Fastest British Junior 200m Time At 20.61 Into A 1.1m/s Headwind He had some tightness in his hamstrings so skipped the final, which has caused headache for selectors.
*Seb Coe Denies That Greece Was Given Extra Tickets As IOC Starts Investigation On Black Market Ticket Sales Includes list of officials mentioned in allegations.
LetsSprint.com *Donovan Bailey Results
- Yohan Blake Wins Tune-Up 100m At Donovan Bailey Invitational In Edmonton, Alberta He ran 10.05 to beat out Trell Kimmons (10.11) and Lerone Clarke (10.13). US's World champ Jason Richardson won the 110 hurdles in 13.16.
- Organizers Pleased With Donovan Bailey Inviational They wanted 5,000 fans - a "generous estimate" was that 3,000 actually came. We wonder what percent of the gate Yohan Blake got? Meanwhile, a minor league baseball team in Winnipeg, Canada AVERAGED 5,640 fans last year. Our sport needs to entertain. Hopefully word gets out next year about this meet.
- Christophe Lemaitre Defends His French 100m National Title With A Wind-Assisted 9.94-Second Victory www.supersport.com
- Random Q&A With Usain Bolt "My only house rule is: never wake me up early."
- Cartoon From Jamaican Newspaper Making Fun Of Bolt's Car Crash
More News From Kenya
- Pamela Jelimo, Janeth Jepkosgei And Top Six Runners From Kenyan National Champs To Compete At Their 800m Olympic Trials
- Patrick Makau Still Frustrated About Being Excluded From Kenyan Marathon Team
- After Missing Kenya's Olympic 10k Team, Priscah Jepleting Will Lead Their Team For The African Championships Includes full roster.
Kenyan Champs And Women's 10k Trials
Vivian Cheruiyot Wins Kenyan Trials, Joyce Chepkirui 2nd, Sally Kipyego 3rd updated
Cheruiyot's unbreaten streak continues. She'll face a great test versus Tirunesh Dibaba at the Olympics.
*Video Of Last 100 With Interview Of Top 3
- Hellen Obiri Wins Kenyan Champs 1,500 In 4:07.4 All-Africa Games 1,500m champ Caleb Mwangangi won in 3:33.85. Joyce Zakari won the 400 in 52.10 over Pamela Jelimo.
- Another DNF For G. Mutai: Geoffrey Mutai Dropped Out Halfway Through Yesterday's 10k
- David Rudisha Confirms He'll Run On Kenya Olympic 4 X 4 Team
- Kenneth Kipkemoi Wins Kenyan Champs 10k In 27:49 Matthew Kisorio was 3rd.
Recommended Read: A Look At The Neuroscience Of Physical Limits Using Canadian Marathoner Reid Coolsaet A great article that blends a motivational underdog story with the science behind how we mentally limit ourselves in races.
More International News/Results
- Prosecutors Withdraw Criminal Charge Against Haile Gebrselassie Haile was accused of changing the lock on the door which he didn't have the rights to. What a rebel.
- Dayron Robles Back In Training After Injury Layoff He'll compete in Poland on June 25.
- Interesting: The Story Behind How An Australian Financial Analyst Became The Agent For An Elite Group Of Kenyans Group includes David Rudisha, Bernard Lagat and Augustine Choge.
- Natalya Lupu Wins Ukranian Championships 800 In 1:58.46 As 4 Go Sub-2 Yelizaveta Bryzgina ran a European-leading 200m in 22.69.
- Caster Semenya Wins Paavo Nurmi Games 600m In A Quick 1:25.56
- Fast Times In Russia: Svetlana Podosenova Wins 1,500 In 3:59.61 As Top 6 Are All 4:01 Or Faster Yekaterina Poistogova ran 1:57.93 for the win in the women's 800 as 4 others also went sub-2.
The Hammer Comes Down On Lance
Formal Doping Charges To Be Brought Against Lance Armstrong The fate of USADA might rest on this case. The evidence had better be strong or anti-doping will
suffer a huge setback. USADA alleges it has numerous people who will testify Lance doped for multiple years with "EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone and cortisone." Lance lovers can send the hate mail here.
*Full Letter Outlining Charges Against Lance Here
*Alan Abrahamson Looks At What This All Means
*Letter From Armstrong's Lawyer To The USADA
*NY Times: Lance Armstrong And His Lawyers Ready For New Doping Fight Mentions that he was barred from competing in an Ironman triathlon in France on June 24.
On The Boards: Formal Charges Brought Against Lance Armstrong
Moses Mosop Out, Emmanuel Mutai On Kenyan Olympic Marathon Team, G Mutai And Makau Snubbed Last night, we wrote "an
injury to Mosop opens the way for World record holder Patrick Makau or World #1 Geoffrey Mutai to make the team." However, the big news this morning was that Emmanuel Mutai was put on the team. A guy named Stanley Biwott (2:05 Paris) is the next alternate and Makau and G. Mutai were totally snubbed because apparently they didn't report back to Athletics Kenya why they dropped out of their spring marathons. Really?
On The Boards: *Emmanuel Mutai Replaces Mosses Mosop in 2012 London Games
*Mosop out--who will replace him?
Worth A Read
Badass Tim Broe Reflects Back On His Career Tim won 3 straight USATF 5,000m titles in the 2000s, one with a broken back. He admits he didn't like training, but the guy could compete with the best of them.
Ben Johnson 24 Years After Seoul: In-Depth Look At Him Now
Samsung Diamond League - adidas Grand Prix *Results *LRC Photos
LRC 800s: David Rudisha's 1:41.74 Mesmerizes The Crowd As Fantu Magiso Wins Again David Rudisha was
simply magnificent, as he was so good he even surprised himself, setting a new US all-comers record of 1:41.74. Robby Andrews' adidas debut resulted in him beating two people but running his second-fastest time ever. In the women's race, the Fantu Magiso show rolled on as Maggie Vessey was a non-factor and Jenny Simpson was simply atrocious and beaten by two high schoolers. In
other events, Tirunesh Dibaba handled Meseret Defar with ease, and Tyson Gay impressed us a ton in the "B" heat of the 100m.
LRC 5,000: Tirunesh Dibaba Crushes Defar With 4:05 Last 1500 to Win 5000m In Breathtaking Fashion The matchup between the #1 and #2 5,000 runners in history did not disappoint as Dibaba closed the last 1,600 in 4:22 and last 1,500 in a ridiculous 4:05 to get a dominant 6+ second victory over Meseret Defar. It's as if the "baby-faced assasin" was never gone and didn't miss all of 2011.
LRC 1,500: Bernard Lagat Returns To His Winning Ways (updated with quotes from Lagat, Webb & Torrence) Lagat's finishing kick of old came out in full force as he got the win in a thrilling stretch run over a guy 17.5 years younger than him and a guy who is the world's #4 1,500 man on the year. Alan Webb's quest for the "A" came up short as David Torrence ran well.
LRC HS Miles: Junior Bernie Montoya Runs 4:01.32 To Capture Deepest Boys Mile In HS History As Three Girls Break 4:40 6 guys broke 4:03 and 9 broke 4:05 - truly ridiculous. *Levonte Whitfield, Shayla Sanders Win Boys/Girls Dream 100s As Recent 10.19 Star Tyreek Hill Is DQed For False Start
Recommended Read NY Times Profiles The "Baby-Faced Destroyer" - Tirunesh Dibaba - LRC Gets Mention The Times takes a look at the woman who is big enough in Ethiopia that hundreds of thousands came to her post-wedding celebration. "Because she did a traditional marriage ceremony, it added to the respect people have for her," Teferi Debebe, who covers Ethiopian track for Letsrun.com, said. "She showed her respect for the culture. This is what everybody wanted to see."
The Guy In The Fall
LRC The Collegiate Career Of Jake Hojnacki, The Guy In The Epic Steeple Fail, Comes To An End If you're like the other 516,654 people who have seen this video, you know Jake Hojnacki as a guy who took a dive into the steeple pit and pretty much almost drowned. Turns out Employee 1.1 is one of Jake's coaches. Jake's collegiate career came to an end this past weekend in notable fashion. We bring to you his story as runners like Jake represent the heart and soul of LetsRun.com.
Recommended Read: Two Years Ago, Joey Stoltz Almost Died And Today He Is A Marathoner "Less than two years ago, I was at the hospital and the doctors told me I wouldn't run again so those last two miles [of the marathon] were so emotional."
Pro Distance News
Korir Running Chicago
LRC Wesley Korir: From #T248 To #1 At Chicago The first time Wesley ran Chicago (photo here), he paid his entry fee like everyone else and started with the masses. Now 4 years later he's returning as the Boston Marathon champ. Learn more about Wesley (he hopes to be a US citizen soon) and how the late Sammy Wanjiru inspired Wesley to be a champion.
Non-London Marathon News
Meet Glenn Randall
LRC The Story Behind Glenn Randall (The Guy Who Led Boston) Who was that dude leading the first 10k of the Boston Marathon? Believe it or not, he's an NCAA champion (in another sport). LetsRun.com talks to the guy who made the first 10k of the marathon entertaining. His frontrunning was no stunt and has paid off big time in the past. This time it resulted in a 2:37:13 61st place finish.
LRC Hammer Time Kicks Off 2012 Olympic Trials Successfully And The First LetsRun.com Hammer Interview Ever With The Guy In The Green T-Shirt Best hammer throw we've ever seen. Plus the exclusive first-ever LetsRun.com hammer interview with the guy (Chris Calle) who finished second in a plain green T-shirt.
*Kibwe Johnson And Amber Campbell Win Hammer Throws To Kick Off Olympic Trials In Portland
More Day 1 Previews
LRC Men's 800: Will History Repeat Itself Or Does Paris Hilton Jinx Nick Symmonds? Nick Symmonds and Khadevis Robinson enter the Trials as the #1 and #2 in the US like in 2008. Will an Oregonian like Elijah
Greer pull the upset and keep KD off the team? We break down the field and give you some dark horses to watch in arguably the most exciting distance event at the Trials.
*Charles Jock: "My tactics are to take it out hard and try to break everybody."
*Olympic Trials Journal From Athete Liam Boylan-Pett The former Ivy Leaguer has PRed in 5 straight races and enters red hot
*Nick Symmonds Pursuing Paris Hilton So He Can Build His Brand He's also hoping to make track cool. "I want to show kids ... I've been to 30 countries, competed on four continents. I'm exchanging emails with Paris Hilton. This is a cool sport."
LRC Women's 800: Can Anyone Stop Alysia Montano? In her one race of the year, Alysia Montano looked like she could be a Caster Semenya or Pamela Jelimo beater. Will that fine form continue? We are so confident she'll make the team that we are offering $1,000 if she runs as well as she did last time out and doesn't make the team. But who makes it besides her? Six other women have the "A" including Maggie Vessey, who was trounced last time out by Molly Beckwith, Geena Gall and Alice Schmidt. World indoor bronze medalllist Erica Moore doesn't have it - how ridiculous is that? The race has all of that plus three high schoolers.
*4 Years After Leaving Olympic Trials In Wheelchair, Alyisa Montano Is Ready For 800 Trials We say she's more than ready and America's best hope for a track mid-d or distance medal.
*14 Years After Quitting Running To Be A Cheerleader, Maggie Vessey Is Poised To Make US Olympic Team
Non Mid-D/Distance Trials News
- Sanya Richards Ross To Do 200/400 Double At Trials
- Allyson Felix Doing 100/200 Double At Trials
- AFP Writes Article On Dennis Mitchell And Justin Gatlin And Doesn't Mention Mitchell Was Busted For Drugs
- Tyson Gay Says "I am feeling fast."
- Triple Jumper Erica McLean Is Back From Gruesome Injury That Left Sand In Her Leg Hoping To Make Olympic Team
Latest USATF On The Boards,
- Robby Andrews Not in 800 He is only running the 1500.
- Now That Webb is In They'd Better Let Fam in Alan Webb, a one-time Olympian, was put in the meet in the 5,000m without a qualifying time. Anthony Famiglietti, a two-time Olympian, who was much closer to qualifying in his event, has not yet been put in the meet.
- Male hammer thrower in womens trials?
Anna Pierce Gets The "A"
World #1 Morgan Uceny Rabbits Three To Olympic "A" In 1,500 Canada's Nicole Sifuentes (4:04.76), the US's Anna Pierce (4:05.42), and NZ's Lucy
(4:05.76) all dipped under 4:06.00 as Sheila Reid and Malindi Elmore came up short. This meet was so low key the results were done by hand, but for the conspiracy theorists out there there is a video to prove it.
*Message Board Thread
- Accusation Of The Year: Women's Asian Games Relay Gold Medallist Really Was A Man As She Raped Me The story is big news in India.
- Comrades Winner Ludwick Mamabol Tests Positive For Drugs *Doctor: Methylhexamine (MHA) Only Stays In System For Short TIme So He Must Have Used It Within 24 Hours
- Oregon Cops Clean Up Before Fans Show Up & Arrest Serial Masturbator, Who Liked To Use Running Parks For His Pleasure
- More Doping News: Demorphin - The next super drug? The juice from the back of a South American frog is already being used to dope horses
Interesting Sprint News
Usain Bolt Made $20 Million Last Year - Is 63rd Highest Paid Athlete On Planet
Might 18-Year-Old Luguelin Santos Of The Domican Republic End The Year As The Olympic 400 Champ? In 2011, he set an aged 17 world's best at 44.71. This year, he set the aged 18 best at 44.45.
Old Young, Merlene Ottey WIll Compete At European Champs Next Week
News From The Rest Of The English Speaking World
- Steve Ovett Tells Britain's Top 800 Man Andrew Osiage "You've got something; you've just got to keep going; you've got something." "Those few words probably mean more than an hour and a half's conversation with a coach telling me, 'This is the training to do'. It's someone who's been there and done it. It was inspirational. It's definitely spurred me on for the next five weeks."
- Steve Cram - Coach's Discretionary Pick Is Good For GB The top two at the British Trials go to the Games, but the last spot is up to the coaches. It's good for the athletes but bad for the Trials fans.
- British LJ Record Holder Chris Tomlinson Says 18-Year-Old Adam Gemili Can Challenge Usain Bolt In 4-5 Years "Why can't we have someone running 9.7 seconds and wearing the British flag?" This guy looks like a classic case of a guy who matured early. We bet he never breaks 9.90.
- After Missing 7 Weeks Due To Injury, Jemma Simpson is Confident She Can Still Make British Olympic 800 Team After Her 2:00.97 In NY
- Former WC Brone Medallist At 800, Jenny Meadows, Is Out Of British Trials With Her Achilles Injury
- Queen Elizabeth's Grand Daughter Will Ride In Olympics
- News From Ireland: After Being Out For 18 Months, David Gillick Will Anchor Ireland's 4 X 400 At Euros Next Week
- Australian Teenage Multi-Star On Decathlon "Being a decathlete is like having ten girlfriends. You have to love them all, and you can't afford losing one," is the motto at the top of Stein's Twitter account.
Previous News From Kenya
- Profile On Upstart Joyce Chepkirui, Who Was The Surprise 2nd Place At The Kenyan 10k Trials
- "We'll do it for Sammy Wanjiru," Says Kenyan Olympic Marathon Team
- July 8th: Geoffrey Mutai Running Sotokoto Safari Half Marathon Up against 2009 Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon runner-up David Tarus. Dubai Marathon runner-up Lucy Kabuu highlights women's field.
- World Champs Silver Medalist Hannah England Out Of UK Trials With Injury She still might make the Olympics as the UK takes the top 2 from the trials plus 1 "discretionary" spot. OTC runner Chris Thompson will miss with an injury, too.
- Just Tuning In For The Olympics? If You Haven't Been Following Pro Running For The Last Year, This Article Will Bring You Up To Speed On Mo Farah
- Despite Slow Start To His Season, Dai Greene Optimistic And Having Good Workouts Ahead Of UK Trials
- TJer Yamile Aldama Likely To Be Named GB's Captain For The Olympics When she won World Indoors at age 39, she became the oldest British athlete ever to win a major title.
- Video: Olympic Torchbearer Proposes To His Girlfriend
Dreams Become Reality ... 3 Excellent Distance Profiles
Alan Webb In The Washington Post
Webb Petitioning To Run 5,000m At Trials This lengthy profile shows Alan Webb's softer and more competitive side (getting upset after a piano recital and after losing at Uno to his wife). LRC is officially rooting for Webb to make the Olympic team.
On The Boards: Nice Alan Webb Profile in WPost: He's Trying to Get into Trials in 5000
Andrew Wheating In Boston Globe "I'm beginning to believe I'm as fast as I once was." Random fact - a selling point for the LRC house in Eugene during the Trials was that the owner said Andrew Wheating lived nearby.
Chris Derrick In Chicago Tribune "I wasn't explosive enough to play a real sport." NCAAs may have been a disappointment for Derrick, but he's got a decent chance of making the Olympics.
More Distance News: Dave Smith On German Fernandez: "He looked amazing ... he's going to be a major force in U.S. distance running again."
*Olympic Trials "A" Vs. Olympics "A" Explained For German Fernandez Fernandez would not have made the Trials if it wasn't for his clutch 3:37 on Sunday, the final day to qualify.
Blast From The Past: Steve Holman Talks About Being Beaten By Dopers, Why He Resigned From USATF Board Seriously - think how good Holman would have been without all the cheats he was up against.
Sunday Night Bloomington Twilight Meet: German Fernandez PRs!
German Fernandez Runs 3:37.76 To Get Olympic Trials "A" Standard This race came less than 24 hours after running his second fastest time ever at the American Mile Series. NCAA champ Andy Bayer and Wisconsin's Rob Finnerty were 2nd and 3rd, also qualifying for the Trials. *Race Video
- Sophomore Mary Cain Runs 4:14.74 1,500m, Just .24 Off Jordan Hasay's National Record From talk on the message board thread, it looks like she'll get into the Olympic Trials in the 800, not the 1,500.
*365 Days Ago On the Boards: MARY CAIN is easily the greatest running prodigy in the US since Mary Decker Slaney
- Austin Mudd Takes 1,500m Title In 3:46.50 Tyreek Hill added to his 100 title by winning the 200 in 20.57 (just misses Olympic "A" of 20.55).
- NBON: RRW Recap: Wesley Frazier Leaves As Two-Mile Champ, Mile Runner-Up, 5k 3rd Placer, And 4th In The DMR Ahmed Bile wins 800 in 1:49, Jacob Burcham wins mile in 4:08, Kelsey Margey wins girls mile in 4:45.
- DyeStat Recap Of Final Day
Saturday Night Track Results
- American Miler's Series: Jeff See Gets The "A" In The 1,500 Will Lear 3rd (3:36.33), German Fernandez 9th (3:39) and Miles Batty was back in 13th (3:49). Genevieve LaCaze won the women's in 4:12. *Full Results
- Eugene: Jordan McNamara Just Misses "A" With 3:35.63 Garrett Heath 2nd (3:36), Trevor Dunbar 3rd (3:40). Becca Friday won the 800 in 2:05.28 as Russell Brown won the men's race in 1:47.6 over AJ Acosta
*Jordan Hasay 4:18 *Full Results
- Holmdel, NJ: Sheila Reid 4:07 Katie Mackey ran 2:02.8.
US Half Marathon Champs/Grandma's Marathon *Top Results/Prize Money *Results *Race Website
- Olympic Marathoners Abdi Abdirahman And Kara Goucher Capture US Half Marathon Titles (updated) Abdi got the 3-second win over Brett Gotcher. Kara Goucher was a comfortable winner in 1:09:46 over Maegan Krifchin.
*Duluth News Tribune Goucher: "I had to try and shut my emotions down during the race ... with two miles to go, I literally had goose bumps because people were cheering so loud."
*3rd Placer Ian Burrell: "When you go up against Abdi, you know you are going to be up against a little bit of pain."
- Full Marathon: Berhanu
Girma Wins In 2:12:25 After Bad Gulp Of Water Causes Kenyan Lamech Mokono To Choke And Almost Collapse Girma became the first Ethiopian to win the men's race; Mokon ended up finishing 3rd in 2:13:28.
Top Americans: Chris Erichsen (9th, 2:16:31) and Ryan Bak (10th).
*Everlyne Lagat Won The Women's Race In 2:33
Trolling At Its Finest: Denver Police Continue Pursuit Of Oscar Ponce "Denver police in early April discovered that a person posting on a running website (LetsRun.com) under the name 'Jake Thomas' claimed to have seen Ponce running Magnolia Road in Boulder several Sundays in March."
It's Time For ... Boston
US Olympians Desi Davila, Kara Goucher And Shalane Flanagan Will All Run 2013 Boston Marathon Not only does having America's 3 best marathoners numerically increase the odds of an American winning, it also takes a lot of money away from top-notch foreign talent. Davila came close to winning Boston in 2010, so an American walking away with the laurel wreath wouldn't be shocking. The announcement says this will be their first marathon after the Olympics, but we wouldn't be surprised if one of them ran New York City in the fall.
Patrick Makau's Manager Presents Email Evidence Showing He Corresponded With Athletics Kenya About Makau's Injury In case you missed it, yesterday Athletics Kenya named Emmanuel Mutai to the Olympic Marathon Team after Moses Mosop pulled out with injury. In the process AK snubbed Makau and Geoffrey
Mutai, saying they did not keep AK abreast of the status of their injuries.
LRC Update: Statement From Makau's Manager Zane Branson Disputing AK's Claim
*1-Minute Audio Clip Of AK President Isaiah Kiplagat Saying He Had Not Received Reports From Agents On Makau's Status
2012 NCAA Champs *Results *Schedule *LRC Day 1 Photos *Day 2 Photos *LRC Previews: Men *Women *Nice Charles Jock Feature *Full Day 4 ESPN Replay
Illiniois Sr. Andrew Riley, Who Pulled Off Unprecedented 100/110H Double At NCAAs, Now Might Be A Bank Teller? Yep, because he's from sprint-rich Jamaica.
*Drake Wants To Host 2016 US Olympic Trials We know one thing. It shouldn't be in Eugene. The Super Bowl rotates to generate excitement - well, the Trials are our sport's Super Bowl.
Saturday: LRC Andy Bayer Wins Over Miles Batty With A Diving Finish, Katie Flood Outkicks Emily Infeld & Jordan Hasay The 2012 outdoor NCAA Track and Field championships in Des Moines came to a close with some edge-of-your-seat finishes in the distance and mid-distance races. In the 1,500, Andy Bayer won by a hundredth of a second in a photo finish over Miles Batty, and Katie Flood held off attacks from Emily Infeld and Jordan Hasay. Donn Cabral got his first NCAA title in the steeple and in the women's 5,000 Dartmouth's Abbey D'Agostino won by .03 seconds over Washington's Megan Goethals. In the team competition, LSU women beat Oregon and Florida men beat LSU by 2 points as it came down to the 4 x 4.
*IAAF Recap Of NCAAs
*Florida Men Finally Claim First NCAA Outdoor Title
*AP Recap: LSU Women, Florida Men Win Titles
Friday: LRC Cam Levins Becomes A Legend, Charles Jock Becomes A Champion, And Nachelle Mackie Remains Undefeated Against Collegians Day 3 certainly did not disappoint the mid-d and distance fans!!! In the 800, Charles Jock and Nachelle Mackie got the titles they so deserved after fighting off some spirted challengers, as Jock won for the first time and Mackie remained undefeated against collegians on the year; in the steeple, Colorado's Shalaya Kipp got a closer-than-expected victory; and then in the 5,000, Cam Levins became a legend by doing what he does best - obliterating the field over the final 150.
LRC Texas A&M's Natosha Rogers Is The Surprise Winner In The Women's 10k After a blistering first mile led by Cal's Deborah Maier, Rogers and her traded the lead until it was down to a 4-woman race. Like the men's race, it was no contest as Rogers closed in 68 to blow the other 3 away and PR by over a minute (32:41). Wichita State’s Alphine Tuliamuk was 2nd, Maier 3rd, and Meaghan Nelson of Iowa State a close 4th.
LRC Rest Of Day 2 Recap: 1,500m And Men's Steeplechase Prelim Recaps: Kyle Merber Misses Final
*Coach Dave Smith: "[Fernandez] was in the fast heat because he made it the fast heat ... It's a really tough, gutsy way to run."
*Laura Roesler SO Spilt 51.4 WOW
LRC Men's 10k Results: Cam Levins Wins, Sambu 2nd, Derrick 3rd Two seniors with amazing credentials really wanted this one but in the end only one could get his first NCAA title and it was no contest the final 200m. After Chris Derrick fell back on the bell lap, Cam Levins blasted the last 150m and looked sensational in getting the win over Stephen Sambu.
LRC Rest Of Day 1 Recap: 800m And Women's Steeple Prelim Recaps: Cas Loxsom Goes Home
*LRC Day 1 NCAA Photos
US 5k Stars Of Past In News
- Recommended Read A Great Chat With Former American 5,000 Record Holder Bob Kennedy This is must-read for anyone under 30 who doesn't properly appreciate Kennedy. We'll almost certainly use this as QOTD for Wednesday but were so fired up by the Tyson Gay thing that we put that up so people would read a sprinting article. *Discuss: MB: Kennedy takes dig at Rupp?
- After Pre Disaster, Tegenkamp Starting To Realize His Best 5,000 Days Are Likely Past As "Old Man Bell Curve" Is Starting - Excited About 10k He's been unwilling to accept that 13:10-15 is likely all he can muster at this point in the 5k according to his coach. "Since turning professional I have not missed an "Outdoor US Team" and I can promise you I don't plan on that happening in an Olympic year. I know my fitness is great, I believe I have a lot of room to improve in the 10,000 and I am looking forward to the challenge! A new chapter is starting; 3:34.25, 7:34.98, 8:07.07, 12:58.56 may very well be set in stone but the 10,000. ... So much room for improvement. ... HERE WE GO!"
Excellent Read: Science Of Sport Breaks Down Comrades Marathon Like Only They Can Former 2:06 guy Gert Thys tried to break the course record by 20 minutes and ended up a DNF but that totally changed the race.
Pre Classic *Full Results *Saturday Recap *Friday Recap *Day 1 Photos *Day 2 Photos
LRC Day 2: Rupp Joins Sub-13 Club, Asbel Kiprop - Mr. Bowerman, Liu Xiang, SRR And Much More Mo Farah is still the top distance runner in the world and Galen Rupp was right there with him mixing it up like he belonged as he became the first American under 13:00 at Pre. Asbel Kiprop won the Bowerman Mile as Andrew Wheating got DFL. Kaki prevailed over Aman as Nick Symmonds and KD squared off again. Liu Xiang ran 12.87, Sanya Richards-Ross got a big win and much, much more. LRC analysis, results, race video and interviews.
LRC Day 1: Wilson Kiprop Wins In USA, Alysia Montano Dominates, Tirunesh Dibaba And Alan Webb Want More, Alice Schdmit Upsets Jenny Simpson Arguably the greatest Pre Classic ever kicked off Hollister Night at Hayward. The Kenyan Olympic Trials - won by World Half Marathon champ Wilson Kiprop - were the headliner, but Alysia Montano tried to steal the show, Alice Schmidt upset Jenny Simpson, and Alan Webb and Matt Centrowitz ran the mile. Full recap, analysis, post race reaction.
*More: Renato Canova Talks About Alan Webb, Wilson Kiprop, And More *RRW Recap *Photos
*Moses Masai Says He Didn't Push Too Hard At The End
*BBC Article On How You Should Choose An Olympic Team "Ultimately selection is a compromise with no perfect solution."
*Oregonian Recap: Alysia Montano 1:57.37, Alice Schmidt Wins 1,500m Over Jenny Simpson, No One Gets "A" In International Mile
*MB: OFFICIAL THREAD PRE CLASSIC 06/01/12 (LIVE FEED)
LRC Kenenisa Bekele, Mo Farah, Bernard Lagat And Asbel Kiprop At The 2012 Prefontaine Press Conference Lagat gave advice as to what event Lomong and Torrence should run at the Trials, Farah talked about Rupp doing all the workouts with him, Bekele reveled whether he has enough time to get ready for the Olympics and Kiprop even praised Matt Centrowitz.
*LA Times Profile On Bernard Lagat
*Manager Jos Hermens Says Bekele Has Only "Just Started His Real Training" As His New Softer-Surfaced Track Was Finished 2 Weeks Ago
4 Really Great Recommended Reads *Also Look For A Great Wanjiru Article In Print Version Of The New Yorker
#1 - Journalism Still Exists: ESPN The Magazine's Shaun Assael Writes 5,122 Word Epic On Sammy Wanjiru's Life And Death From his start as a schoolboy to details as to why his mother claims he was murdered, Assael leaves no stone unturned.
points out that many other successful Kenyans before Wanjiru
have also struggled with fame, including Paul Kipkoech, Richard Chelimo and Benson Masya, who all died young. Sadly, Wanjiru was going to train in San Diego to get away from it all but couldn't because of a gun charge. *Interview Of Author On Right Column
#2 - 50 Stunning Olympic Moments No. 30: Zola Budd In 1984 Do most people remember Budd was just 17 when she set the WR in the 5,000 at 15:01 and when she collided with Mary Slaney? The article reveals that Budd's family disintegrated after she left South Africa to compete for GBR and it also reveals Mary Slaney to have been unbelievably rude to rip a 17-year-old. *Zola Budd - In Pictures
#3 - Wall St. Journal Profile Nails Abdi Abdirahman's Personality Perfectly!!! "Going for Gold - or Whatever The Secret to an Aging Olympian's Endurance: Don't Let Training Get in the Way of Fun" Is Abdi's love of life (ohers might say laziness) an asset?
#4 - What Really Happened At 1st Olympic Women's 800 In 1928? Despite what was reported, 5 of the 11 runners didn't drop out with another 5 collapsing at the finish. The only person collapsing at the finish that year was Paavo Nurmi, but women's mid-d and distance running would be banned for years nonetheless.
The Kenyan Trials Have Started *Mid-D/Distance Results
- Olympic 1,500m Champion Nancy Langat Is Now Healthy But In Battle Against Time To Make Olympic Team
- Day 1: Day 1 Recap - Most Favorites Advance But Leonard Kosencha & Augustine Choge Don't The big news on day 1 was that 17-year-old sensation and world #4 in the 800, Leonard Kosencha, who was suffering from an illness, didn't make the final. Might he get a wild card? 2008 Olympian Boaz Lalang also mis-timed his meals and was a DNF with cramps. Augustine Choge also bombed out of the 5k. *Discuss
- TIA: Kenyan Officials Change Start Time Of 800 And Boaz Lalang Had To Drop Out Because Of Eating His Breakfast Too Early
- David Rudisha Breezes To Finals & Gets Rave Reviews From All In Attendance Leonard Kosencha & Augustine Choge Fail Coach Colm O'Connell was very happy and even his fellow competitors seemingly have raised the white flag, as 2007 world champ Alfred Kirwa Yego said he's "happy being on the track with him" and that it's a "privilege" for Kenya to have Rudisha on their team.
- Pre-Meet: Mutwiri Mutuota's Preview
- Kenyan Olympic Trials Preview: Silas Kiplagat Says The 1,500 Final On Saturday Will Be A "Battle Of Men" Can Kiplagat or Nixon Chepseba challenge Asbel Kiprop? Heats are tomorrow.
UK Trials/Ethiopian 10k Start Friday *Schedule And Live Results
- Kenenisa Bekele Says He Needs To Run Fast This Weekend To Make Ethiopian Olympic Team
- Day-By-Day Guide For The UK Trials Tomorrow: Heats for the 100, 800 and 1,500. 10k final with the Bekele brothers. Mo Farah in the 1,500.
- Athletics Weekly UK Trials Preview: Men's Track *Women's Track *Men's Field *Women's Field
- Dwain Chambers Beat The BOA, But Will He Be Able To Overcome 10.08 Teenager Adam Gemili And Make His Home Games He's only ranked 8th in the UK, so he's even a long shot for a relay spot.
- Only Two UK Sprinters Even Have The "A" Standard: 18-Year-Old Gamili And A Guy Who "gets injured when they step out of bed for no reason."
- UK 18-Year-Old Jodie Williams Trying To Make Her First Olympic Team Charles van Commenee says she's "the sort of athlete every country is waiting for".
- How Does UK Olympic Selection Work? Who Are The Shoe-Ins? What Drama Might Occur At The Trials? Simon Turnbull Explains All Oklahoma State's Tom Farrell got the "A" standard and hoped to make the Games, but a stress fracture will keep him out of the Trials.
- Jessica Ennis Competing In 4 Events At UK Trials
- European Championships Live Streaming June 27th Through June 21st
Non-Trials News From Overseas
- LJ Van Zyl Going For 4th African 400m Hurdles Title
- IAAF: Russian LJer Sergey Morgunov Jumps 8.35m World Junior Record
- Formula One Grand Prix May Take Over Olympic Stadium After 2012 They would race in and around the stadium.
Matt Taylor Speaks #2 (Link Fixed)
LRC Redefine Running: Who's In Charge Of "The Sport" (link fixed) Last week Matt Taylor, the guy behind ChasingTradition, ChasingKimbia, ChasingGlory, and an upcoming Usain Bolt video game, told you running was dying. This week he tells you it's thriving. He explains the inconsistency. While the activity of running is thriving, the sport is dead with the mainstream sports fan. In the internet era, diehards get their fix, while Joe Sports-Fan has no idea who Matt Centrowitz is. How do we fix this?
NCAA Photos Day 4 Andy Bayer's Dive Vs. Miles Batty's Dive (Click Below For Gallery)
NCAA Photos Day 3 Charles Jock Title #1, Cam Levins #2 (Click Below For Gallery)
USATF Juniors/ New Balance High School Outdoor Nationals This Weekend NBON: *Results *Boys Preview *Girls Preview *US Junior Champs *Results
- NBON: MileSplit Coverage: Jacob Burcham wins tactical mile in 4:08.8; Kelsey Margey takes girls race in 4:45.74 over Wesley Frazier. Tatnall won the girls 4 x Mile in US #3 All-Time
time; Marshfield won the boys DMR (10:01.32) as 7 teams were under 10:11.
*RRW: Cheserek, Fraizer Successful On Day 2
*DyeStat Fri. Recap CBA NJ (NJ) wins epic 4 x 800m in 7:34.67 as 6 teams break 7:40. Edward Cheserek wins the 2 mile in 8:55.12, Wesley Frazier wins the girl's 2 mile in 10:13.43.
*First Day: Ashley Erba Wins Girls 5k In 16:18 MR (#7 All-Time) Over Defending Champ Wesley Fraizer (updated) Jake Leingang won for the boys in 14:27.16 (less than 2 seconds off Ed Cheserek's MR).
- US Junior Championships: DyeStat Coverage Ajee Wilson wins 800 in 2:04.86. Shaquille Walker wins men's race in 1:49.39. Oregon's Allison Woodward wins 5k (16:15) over Cayla Hatton. Oregon's Ryan Pickering won the 10k in 30:56.
*DyeStat Friday Recap: Tyreek Hill Won The 100m In 10.28 Into A 1.8 Headwind
adidas GP Photos
IAAF Celebrates 100th Anniversary In Times Square (Desi Davila And Tirunesh Dibaba On Hand, Article Here, Photo Gallery Below)
Pre Day 2 Photos
Pre Day 1 Photos *Day 1 Recap Here *Day 2 Full Results *Day 2 Reaction
The Great One Says Goodbye To The Track (Hengelo Photos)
Ostrava Photos (Usain Bolt 10.04)
Big Story? Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist
Unbelievable: Convicted Drug Cheat Dennis Mitchell Coaching Justin Gatlin This isn't new news and has been the case all spring, we just didn't realize it. 6 years ago, little LRC pointed out Mitchell, the guy who claimed he tested positive because he had five beers and sex four times with his wife (maybe Dennis can give his advice here), an excuse USATF accepted, was coaching a USATF international team. USATF then tried to claim a different Dennis Mitchell, the University of Akron coach, was the actual coach. Mitchell is free to coach whomever he wants. You'd think Gatlin might be concerned about public perception.
UAE Healthy Kidney 10k Photos
Another Steeple Fail (Getting Picked Up By USA Today Blogger)
Bekoji, Ethiopia: Town Of Runners By now many of you have heard of Iten, Kenya - the tiny town where many Kenyan stars train. The Ethiopian town of Bekoji may be even more impressive,
it is where Kenenisa Bekele (3 Olympic golds), Tirunesh Dibaba (2 Olympic golds), Derartu Tulu (2 Olympic golds), and Fatuma Roba (1 Olympic gold) were all born. Lengthy Guardian profile on the town and its unheralded coach Sentayehu Eshetu. A movie on the town - "Town of Runners" - comes out later this month.
*Bekoji Photo Gallery