Lukas Verzbicas Wins His First World Cup Triathlon The sub-4:00 miler beat 2 of the top 5 in the World. Think how dominant the USA would be at running without the Africans, and what
you have left is the triathlon.
On The Boards: Verzbicas wins ITU World Cup, drops a 30:55 on the run leg
Friday: Kenenisa Bekele Running UK Trials 10,000 To Prove Form To Ethiopian Selectors His brother Tariku Bekele is in the race as well. Mo Farah is in the 1,500.
Talking About The Sport
- USATF CEO Max Siegel Says He Wants To Get Track Out Of Its "Once-Every-Four-Years" Mentality "I'm not naïve enough to think that we can go head to head with the N.B.A. or the N.F.L., but I certainly think we can create a lot of awareness, increase our viewership significantly."
- Vin Lananna Wants To Bring The 2019 World Championships To Eugene The US has never hosted Worlds because it doesn't have a track stadium big enough to do it. But Lananna wants to upgrade Hayward Field so that it can.
- Register-Guard Columnist Asks Is Eugene Big Enough To Host Worlds? It's Called Track Town, Not "Track City" Points out that the Moscow, Beijing, and London (hosts in 2013, '15, and '17) are all big cities with huge populations. He argues that Eugene lacks the hotels/roads/restaurants necessary to host Worlds.
- Ken Goe Looks At The Pros And Cons Of Moving The Next Olympic Trials To Des Moines As we've said before, it shouldn't be in Eugene. It needs to rotate to generate excitement.
- Vin Lananna Pushing For More Fan-Friendly NCAA Meet
- WADA Financial Issues Will Cause Them To Scale Back Their Testing If Can't Generate More Income
Usain Bolt Outlining His Victory Speech For London 2012 "At the end of London 2012, I want to go into the press conference and say before anyone asks me a question - 'You are now looking at a living legend.'"
*GB's 2008 Olympic 400 Hurdles Bronze Medallist Tasha Danvers Has Announced Retirement And Revealed She Attempted Suicide Last Year
*Adam Gemili Runs 3rd-Fastest British Junior 200m Time At 20.61 Into A 1.1m/s Headwind He had some tightness in his hamstrings so skipped the final, which has caused headache for selectors.
*Seb Coe Denies That Greece Was Given Extra Tickets As IOC Starts Investigation On Black Market Ticket Sales Includes list of officials mentioned in allegations.
Other International News/Results
- Sally Pearson Confirmed For Stockholm Diamond League Meet On August 17th
- Belgium's Kevin Borlée Runs Best European 400 Since 2007 With 44.56
- Yuki Kawauchi Runs 2:51:45 CR To Win Okinoshima 50K Ultra
- Japan High School Regional Track Championships Results The boys 5,000 was won in 13:52.
- IAAF Recaps Day 1 Of German Champs: Silke Spiegelburg Wins PV With 4.70m
- Michael Shelley (28:44) & Lisa Weightman (32:46) Win Australian 10k Road Champs
- IAAF Recap Greek Champs: Eleni Filandra Wins 800 In 2:00.44
LetsSprint.com *Donovan Bailey Results
- Yohan Blake Wins Tune-Up 100m At Donovan Bailey Invitational In Edmonton, Alberta He ran 10.05 to beat out Trell Kimmons (10.11) and Lerone Clarke (10.13). US's World champ Jason Richardson won the 110 hurdles in 13.16.
- Organizers Pleased With Donovan Bailey Inviational They wanted 5,000 fans - a "generous estimate" was that 3,000 actually came. We wonder what percent of the gate Yohan Blake got? Meanwhile, a minor league baseball team in Winnipeg, Canada AVERAGED 5,640 fans last year. Our sport needs to entertain. Hopefully word gets out next year about this meet.
- Christophe Lemaitre Defends His French 100m National Title With A Wind-Assisted 9.94-Second Victory www.supersport.com
- Random Q&A With Usain Bolt "My only house rule is: never wake me up early."
- Cartoon From Jamaican Newspaper Making Fun Of Bolt's Car Crash
More News From Kenya
- Pamela Jelimo, Janeth Jepkosgei And Top Six Runners From Kenyan National Champs To Compete At Their 800m Olympic Trials
- Patrick Makau Still Frustrated About Being Excluded From Kenyan Marathon Team
- After Missing Kenya's Olympic 10k Team, Priscah Jepleting Will Lead Their Team For The African Championships Includes full roster.
- Dai Greene Reveals Winter Knee Surgery Is Reason For His Lack Of Form He was one of the favorites coming into 2012, but this year he is only ranked 14th in the world.
- Haile Gebrselassie Was An Olympic Torchbearer In Yesterday's Section Of The Torch Relay
- Ticket Scandal: Emergency IOC Executive Board Meeting Held After Olympic Ticket Scandal Apparently, undercover reporters posed as ticket scalpers and caught 27 officials/agents who were willing to sell tickets for big prices on the black market.
- Bad News For Dwain Chambers: UK 18-Year-Old Sprint Prodigy Adam Gemili Confirms He Will Compete In The UK Trials
- Impressive: 50-Year-Old British Javelin Thrower Will Compete In His 8th Olympic Trials And Is Currently Ranked 5th In The UK Also holds WRs for throwing an iPod and a goldfish.
- CrazyStat: UK Olympic Athlete Kit Totals To 175,000 Units Across 23 Sizes & 349 Items That's 70 items of adidas kit per athlete, not including their competition or formal wear.
- The Olympics Lowlight Reel: The 10 Most Infamous Acts Of Skulduggery In Olympic History Some interesting stories of more creative cheating, including taking a car for 11 miles of a marathon and a lapped Moroccan 10k runner blocking a Kenyan so his teammate could win.
- UK TJer Yamilé Aldama Writes About The Difficulties Of Having Children While Still Being An Athlete
Kenyan Champs And Women's 10k Trials
Vivian Cheruiyot Wins Kenyan Trials, Joyce Chepkirui 2nd, Sally Kipyego 3rd updated
Cheruiyot's unbreaten streak continues. She'll face a great test versus Tirunesh Dibaba at the Olympics.
*Video Of Last 100 With Interview Of Top 3
- Hellen Obiri Wins Kenyan Champs 1,500 In 4:07.4 All-Africa Games 1,500m champ Caleb Mwangangi won in 3:33.85. Joyce Zakari won the 400 in 52.10 over Pamela Jelimo.
- Another DNF For G. Mutai: Geoffrey Mutai Dropped Out Halfway Through Yesterday's 10k
- David Rudisha Confirms He'll Run On Kenya Olympic 4 X 4 Team
- Kenneth Kipkemoi Wins Kenyan Champs 10k In 27:49 Matthew Kisorio was 3rd.
Recommended Read: A Look At The Neuroscience Of Physical Limits Using Canadian Marathoner Reid Coolsaet A great article that blends a motivational underdog story with the science behind how we mentally limit ourselves in races.
More International News/Results
- Prosecutors Withdraw Criminal Charge Against Haile Gebrselassie Haile was accused of changing the lock on the door which he didn't have the rights to. What a rebel.
- Dayron Robles Back In Training After Injury Layoff He'll compete in Poland on June 25.
- Interesting: The Story Behind How An Australian Financial Analyst Became The Agent For An Elite Group Of Kenyans Group includes David Rudisha, Bernard Lagat and Augustine Choge.
- Natalya Lupu Wins Ukranian Championships 800 In 1:58.46 As 4 Go Sub-2 Yelizaveta Bryzgina ran a European-leading 200m in 22.69.
- Caster Semenya Wins Paavo Nurmi Games 600m In A Quick 1:25.56
- Fast Times In Russia: Svetlana Podosenova Wins 1,500 In 3:59.61 As Top 6 Are All 4:01 Or Faster Yekaterina Poistogova ran 1:57.93 for the win in the women's 800 as 4 others also went sub-2.
The Hammer Comes Down On Lance
Formal Doping Charges To Be Brought Against Lance Armstrong The fate of USADA might rest on this case. The evidence had better be strong or anti-doping will
suffer a huge setback. USADA alleges it has numerous people who will testify Lance doped for multiple years with "EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone and cortisone." Lance lovers can send the hate mail here.
*Full Letter Outlining Charges Against Lance Here
*Alan Abrahamson Looks At What This All Means
*Letter From Armstrong's Lawyer To The USADA
*NY Times: Lance Armstrong And His Lawyers Ready For New Doping Fight Mentions that he was barred from competing in an Ironman triathlon in France on June 24.
On The Boards: Formal Charges Brought Against Lance Armstrong
4 Good Reads About Some Leading Women
After A Year Away From The Sport, Yelena Isinbayeva Is Back Enjoying PV And Vaulting As Well As Ever A very interesting read. Before retirement, she found dominating the pole vault globally to be boring but then during retirement,
found everyday life to be much more boring.
Another Female Who Is Finding Joy In Her Sport Even Though She's Not Necessarily Achieving What She Wants
3rd Time The Charm? After Finishing 4th At Last Two Olympic Trials, Katie McGregor Is Still Pursuing Olympic Goal "I'm always going to have this chip on my shoulder because I haven't accomplished everything I wanted. But I've learned to appreciate what I have. Otherwise, you become jaded and it's not fun anymore. I think I got to that point after the last trials where just nothing's ever good enough. I got to the point where I had to say, 'If you didn't have Team USA or Reebok as a sponsor, would you still be doing this?' And I would. I love it."
3-Time Olympian Tamsyn Manou, Who Has "B" And Is Australian Champ But Hasn't Heard Anything From Federation, Writes Blog That Absolutely Rips Her Federation The 3-time Olympian and 5-time World Champs qualifier feels "Chewed up and spat out!" Think the average Aussie supports her? Not at all according to the comments on the article, as she just gets ripped.
And A Not-So-Well-Known Woman
Weber State's Amber Henry Dislocated Her Elbow In Middle Of Steeple Final At NCAAs - Still Finished Anyway
2 Good Reads About Some Leading Men
Learn All About How Andrew Wheating Fortuitously Got Hooked Up With Jeff Johnson And Oregon
Mo Farah Enjoying Anonymity Of Portland As He Gets Ready For London 2012 - He Also Reminds Us He's Never Made An Olympic Final. "Nobody recognises me there [in Portland]. I just walk down the street with my family, go out for coffee, or for lunch, I just do a normal routine."
Moses Mosop Out, Emmanuel Mutai On Kenyan Olympic Marathon Team, G Mutai And Makau Snubbed Last night, we wrote "an
injury to Mosop opens the way for World record holder Patrick Makau or World #1 Geoffrey Mutai to make the team." However, the big news this morning was that Emmanuel Mutai was put on the team. A guy named Stanley Biwott (2:05 Paris) is the next alternate and Makau and G. Mutai were totally snubbed because apparently they didn't report back to Athletics Kenya why they dropped out of their spring marathons. Really?
On The Boards: *Emmanuel Mutai Replaces Mosses Mosop in 2012 London Games
*Mosop out--who will replace him?
Worth A Read
Badass Tim Broe Reflects Back On His Career Tim won 3 straight USATF 5,000m titles in the 2000s, one with a broken back. He admits he didn't like training, but the guy could compete with the best of them.
Ben Johnson 24 Years After Seoul: In-Depth Look At Him Now
2012 Harry Jerome Classic *Results
LRC Much Improved Andrew Wheating Wins 1,500 At 2012 Harry Jerome Track Classic Wheating closed in 55-high to get the win in 3:35.89. Centro was much improved from last
week as well.
IAAF Recap Canadian Jessica Smith went sub 2:00 for the first time to upset Alice Schmidt in the 800.
MB: Wheating wins in 3:35.89
MB: Canadians: What is up with your crazy Olympic qualifying process?
Samsung Diamond League - adidas Grand Prix *Results *LRC Photos
LRC 800s: David Rudisha's 1:41.74 Mesmerizes The Crowd As Fantu Magiso Wins Again David Rudisha was
simply magnificent, as he was so good he even surprised himself, setting a new US all-comers record of 1:41.74. Robby Andrews' adidas debut resulted in him beating two people but running his second-fastest time ever. In the women's race, the Fantu Magiso show rolled on as Maggie Vessey was a non-factor and Jenny Simpson was simply atrocious and beaten by two high schoolers. In
other events, Tirunesh Dibaba handled Meseret Defar with ease, and Tyson Gay impressed us a ton in the "B" heat of the 100m.
LRC 5,000: Tirunesh Dibaba Crushes Defar With 4:05 Last 1500 to Win 5000m In Breathtaking Fashion The matchup between the #1 and #2 5,000 runners in history did not disappoint as Dibaba closed the last 1,600 in 4:22 and last 1,500 in a ridiculous 4:05 to get a dominant 6+ second victory over Meseret Defar. It's as if the "baby-faced assasin" was never gone and didn't miss all of 2011.
LRC 1,500: Bernard Lagat Returns To His Winning Ways (updated with quotes from Lagat, Webb & Torrence) Lagat's finishing kick of old came out in full force as he got the win in a thrilling stretch run over a guy 17.5 years younger than him and a guy who is the world's #4 1,500 man on the year. Alan Webb's quest for the "A" came up short as David Torrence ran well.
LRC HS Miles: Junior Bernie Montoya Runs 4:01.32 To Capture Deepest Boys Mile In HS History As Three Girls Break 4:40 6 guys broke 4:03 and 9 broke 4:05 - truly ridiculous. *Levonte Whitfield, Shayla Sanders Win Boys/Girls Dream 100s As Recent 10.19 Star Tyreek Hill Is DQed For False Start
Recommended Read NY Times Profiles The "Baby-Faced Destroyer" - Tirunesh Dibaba - LRC Gets Mention The Times takes a look at the woman who is big enough in Ethiopia that hundreds of thousands came to her post-wedding celebration. "Because she did a traditional marriage ceremony, it added to the respect people have for her," Teferi Debebe, who covers Ethiopian track for Letsrun.com, said. "She showed her respect for the culture. This is what everybody wanted to see."
Recommended Read Meet Ron Delaney - The Villanova Alum Won The 1956 Olympic 1,500, Set 3 Mile WRs And Won 40 Miles In A Row He is in the news as he recently carried the Olympic torch.
Pre Classic *Full Results *Saturday Recap *Friday Recap *Day 1 Photos *Day 2 Photos
LRC Day 2: Rupp Joins Sub-13 Club, Asbel Kiprop - Mr. Bowerman, Liu Xiang, SRR And Much More Mo Farah is still the top distance runner in the world and Galen Rupp was right there with him mixing it up like he belonged as he became the first American under 13:00 at Pre. Asbel Kiprop won the Bowerman Mile as Andrew Wheating got DFL. Kaki prevailed over Aman as Nick Symmonds and KD squared off again. Liu Xiang ran 12.87, Sanya Richards-Ross got a big win and much, much more. LRC analysis, results, race video and interviews.
LRC Day 1: Wilson Kiprop Wins In USA, Alysia Montano Dominates, Tirunesh Dibaba And Alan Webb Want More, Alice Schdmit Upsets Jenny Simpson Arguably the greatest Pre Classic ever kicked off Hollister Night at Hayward. The Kenyan Olympic Trials - won by World Half Marathon champ Wilson Kiprop - were the headliner, but Alysia Montano tried to steal the show, Alice Schmidt upset Jenny Simpson, and Alan Webb and Matt Centrowitz ran the mile. Full recap, analysis, post race reaction.
*More: Renato Canova Talks About Alan Webb, Wilson Kiprop, And More *RRW Recap *Photos
*Moses Masai Says He Didn't Push Too Hard At The End
*BBC Article On How You Should Choose An Olympic Team "Ultimately selection is a compromise with no perfect solution."
*Oregonian Recap: Alysia Montano 1:57.37, Alice Schmidt Wins 1,500m Over Jenny Simpson, No One Gets "A" In International Mile
*MB: OFFICIAL THREAD PRE CLASSIC 06/01/12 (LIVE FEED)
LRC Kenenisa Bekele, Mo Farah, Bernard Lagat And Asbel Kiprop At The 2012 Prefontaine Press Conference Lagat gave advice as to what event Lomong and Torrence should run at the Trials, Farah talked about Rupp doing all the workouts with him, Bekele reveled whether he has enough time to get ready for the Olympics and Kiprop even praised Matt Centrowitz.
*LA Times Profile On Bernard Lagat
*Manager Jos Hermens Says Bekele Has Only "Just Started His Real Training" As His New Softer-Surfaced Track Was Finished 2 Weeks Ago
The Guy In The Fall
LRC The Collegiate Career Of Jake Hojnacki, The Guy In The Epic Steeple Fail, Comes To An End If you're like the other 516,654 people who have seen this video, you know Jake Hojnacki as a guy who took a dive into the steeple pit and pretty much almost drowned. Turns out Employee 1.1 is one of Jake's coaches. Jake's collegiate career came to an end this past weekend in notable fashion. We bring to you his story as runners like Jake represent the heart and soul of LetsRun.com.
Recommended Read: Two Years Ago, Joey Stoltz Almost Died And Today He Is A Marathoner "Less than two years ago, I was at the hospital and the doctors told me I wouldn't run again so those last two miles [of the marathon] were so emotional."
Samsung Diamond League Doha *Results *LRC Recap *MB: Discussion *IAAF Recap
Doha: LRC LetsRun.com's Recap Of Doha 2012: The Samsung Diamond League Starts Off In Style If all the meets this year are as good as this one, we're going to have an incredible Olympics. Asbel Kiprop went sub-3:30 for the first time ever and lost to Silas Kiplagat, a race was perfectly designed for Vivian Cheruiyot to lose and she won, Kenenisa Bekele looked average, Paul Koech tore up the steeple, and Pamela Jelimo may have a new challenger. American stalwarts LaShawn Merritt and Allyson Felix impressed, and Americans Russell Brown and Molly Beckwith did what they wanted in the distances.
Pro Distance News
Korir Running Chicago
LRC Wesley Korir: From #T248 To #1 At Chicago The first time Wesley ran Chicago (photo here), he paid his entry fee like everyone else and started with the masses. Now 4 years later he's returning as the Boston Marathon champ. Learn more about Wesley (he hopes to be a US citizen soon) and how the late Sammy Wanjiru inspired Wesley to be a champion.
Non-London Marathon News
Meet Glenn Randall
LRC The Story Behind Glenn Randall (The Guy Who Led Boston) Who was that dude leading the first 10k of the Boston Marathon? Believe it or not, he's an NCAA champion (in another sport). LetsRun.com talks to the guy who made the first 10k of the marathon entertaining. His frontrunning was no stunt and has paid off big time in the past. This time it resulted in a 2:37:13 61st place finish.
Sunday Night Bloomington Twilight Meet: German Fernandez PRs!
German Fernandez Runs 3:37.76 To Get Olympic Trials "A" Standard This race came less than 24 hours after running his second fastest time ever at the American Mile Series. NCAA champ Andy Bayer and Wisconsin's Rob Finnerty were 2nd and 3rd, also qualifying for the Trials. *Race Video
- Sophomore Mary Cain Runs 4:14.74 1500m, Just .24 Off Jordan Hasay's National Record From talk on the message board thread, it looks like she'll get into the Olympic Trails in the 800, not the 1,500.
*365 Days Ago On the Boards: MARY CAIN is easily the greatest running prodigy in the US since Mary Decker Slaney
- Austin Mudd Takes 1,500m Title In 3:46.50 Tyreek Hill added to his 100 title by winning the 200 in 20.57 (just misses Olympic "A" of 20.55).
- NBON: RRW Recap: Wesley Frazier Leaves As Two-Mile Champ, Mile Runner-Up, 5k 3rd placer, And 4th In the DMR Ahmed Bile wins 800 in 1:49, Jacob Burcham wins mile in 4:08, Kelsey Margey wins girls mile in 4:45.
- DyeStat Recap Of Final Day
Saturday Night Track Results
- American Miler's Series: Jeff See Gets The "A" In The 1,500 Will Lear 3rd (3:36.33), German Fernandez 9th (3:39) and Miles Batty was back in 13th (3:49). Genevieve LaCaze won the women's in 4:12. *Full Results
- Eugene: Jordan McNamara Just Misses "A" With 3:35.63 Garrett Heath 2nd (3:36), Trevor Dunbar 3rd (3:40). Becca Friday won the 800 in 2:05.28 as Russell Brown won the men's race in 1:47.6 over AJ Acosta
*Jordan Hasay 4:18 *Full Results
- Holmdel, NJ: Sheila Reid 4:07 Katie Mackey ran 2:02.8.
US Half Marathon Champs/Grandma's Marathon *Top Results/Prize Money *Results *Race Website
- Olympic Marathoners Abdi Abdirahman And Kara Goucher Capture US Half Marathon Titles (updated) Abdi got the 3-second win over Brett Gotcher. Kara Goucher was a comfortable winner in 1:09:46 over Maegan Krifchin.
*Duluth News Tribune Goucher: "I had to try and shut my emotions down during the race ... with two miles to go, I literally had goose bumps because people were cheering so loud."
*3rd Placer Ian Burrell: "When you go up against Abdi, you know you are going to be up against a little bit of pain."
- Full Marathon: Berhanu
Girma Wins In 2:12:25 After Bad Gulp Of Water Causes Kenyan Lamech Mokono To Choke And Almost Collapse Girma became the first Ethiopian to win the men's race; Mokon ended up finishing 3rd in 2:13:28.
Top Americans: Chris Erichsen (9th, 2:16:31) and Ryan Bak (10th).
*Everlyne Lagat Won The Women's Race In 2:33
Other US News
- LaShawn Merritt Driven By A Sense Of Injustice Good read that talks about the death of his brother, his ban, and thoughts about one day pursuing a football career.
- Good News For The Sport: Coverage of The Adidas GP Hit Highest Ratings Of Any Non-Olympic/Olympic Trials Track Event Since 2005 And Tyson Gay became the top Twitter trend in the country.
- Another Good Lopez Lomong Article By Ken Goe *Full Video Interview
- In An Olympic Year, Collegians Face Challenge Of Drawing Out Peak Performance Multiple Times
- Armstrong Updates: Lance Armstrong Frustrated By Lack Of Communication/Information From USADA
*Armstrong Reportedly Made $465,000 Payment To Controversial Doctor Who Is Serving A Life Ban
*NZ 1,500 NR Holder Nikki Hamblin Will Miss Olympics With Achilles Injury
*Algeria's Larbi Bourrada Breaks African Decathlon Record With 8332 Points In German Multi Event Meet
*Q&A With Retired Israeli PVer Alex Averbukh, Who Says "I'll miss pole vaulting until the day I die."
US Olympics News: Lopez Lomong Will Double; LJ World Champ Dwight Phillips Out Of The Trials
- Lopez Lomong Says He'll Double 5k/1,500 At The Trials The 5k is his focus as the 1,500 trials are only 2 hours
afterbefore the 5k final (and the fact that the 5,000m final is after the 1,500 is what makes it so difficult).
*USA TODAY "100 Olympic Hopefuls In 100 Days" Profiles Lopez Lomong "Most of the time I'm smiling, but I'm a warrior inside."
- Long Jump World Champion Dwight Phillips Will Miss US Olympic Trials With Injury An IAAF article adds some more details on his car crash and that he had recent surgery.
- Alberto Salazar Says Galen Rupp And Mo Farah Are Like "A Little Brother Following The Big Brother Around" Article has good quotes from Salazar, Rupp, and Farah's wife.
- The Science Of The Sport Takes A Look At The Nike New Turbospeed Track Suit And Lance Armstrong Case He has doubts about Nikes claim that it will improve 100m sprint performance by 0.023sec. Makes point that Usain Bolt doesn't even run in a speed suit.
- Teleconference Q&A With Kara Goucher, Shalane Flanagan, And Desiree Davila On Their London Prep And The 2013 Boston Marathon
- US Jav Thrower Kara Patterson Talks About The Difficulties Of Trying To Travel Through Airlines With The Modern Day Equivalent Of A Spear
- Wallace Spearmon Out To Erase Beijing Heartbreak Where He Got 3rd But Was DQed For Stepping Out Of His Lane www.latimes.com
Other US Stuff: Next Year's NCAAs May Be Split By Gender
- Next Year's NCAA Meet Might Be Split By Gender With One Gender Competing Wednesday/Friday And The Other Thursday/Saturday Could affect the team competition as it'd be harder for sprint stars to double/triple up and would benefit a broad-based program with depth ... like Oregon.
- Running Times Take A Look At 3 Lesser-Known U.S. Distance Olympic Medalists: Ralph Hill, Horace Ashenfelter & Bob Schul Schul: "Today's athletes have no idea what we went through. Training at 5:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. as well as working an 8-hour day meant dedication - you gave up everything else. The cinder tracks were not so good, and we climbed fences to get into the workout areas."
US Olympic Trials: Deena Kastor And Ed Moran Out
- Deena Kastor Pulls Out Of Olympic Trials With Back Injury She said this is not it for her career, though, and she will continue to compete when healthy again.
- Ed Moran (2:11 Debut Marathon In NYC, 4th At 2008 US Trials In 10k) Out With Stress Reaction And Will Not Compete In The Trials He said at this point he's done with the track and will focus on the roads/marathons in the future.
- Hope You Like Red: Nike Unveils 2012 Olympic US Uniforms What about the white & blue?
*More Info On US Oly Uniforms *MB Thread
- Janet Bawcom Runs 15:22 In Atlanta Track Club All-Comers Meet
- TrackFocus: Clearing Up The Confusion Around Olympic Selection, A Look At The "A" & "B" Standards *NOTE: The process for the Olympics is a little different than it was for World Champs.
Trolling At Its Finest: Denver Police Continue Pursuit Of Oscar Ponce "Denver police in early April discovered that a person posting on a running website (LetsRun.com) under the name 'Jake Thomas' claimed to have seen Ponce running Magnolia Road in Boulder several Sundays in March."
- Indian Woman Athlete, Pinki Pramanik, Arrested On "Rape" Charges And Accused Of Actually Being Male Pinki Pramanik is a Commonwealth Games silver medallist in the 4 x 4.
- The Guardian Asks If Having "Better" Hormones Is Really Any Different Than Having "Better" Genes
- US Milers Meet #2: Dan Clark Wins 1,500m In 3:39.11, Andy Bayer 3:39.13 Both missed the Olympic Trials "A" standard. Indianapolis Star
*Results *MBoard Thread
- Victoria Track Classic: Nate Brannen Wins 1,500m In 3:39.42, Duane Solomon Dominates 800m 1:46.14 The women's 1,500m was slow (4:14.30).
It's Time For ... Boston
US Olympians Desi Davila, Kara Goucher And Shalane Flanagan Will All Run 2013 Boston Marathon Not only does having America's 3 best marathoners numerically increase the odds of an American winning, it also takes a lot of money away from top-notch foreign talent. Davila came close to winning Boston in 2010, so an American walking away with the laurel wreath wouldn't be shocking. The announcement says this will be their first marathon after the Olympics, but we wouldn't be surprised if one of them ran New York City in the fall.
Patrick Makau's Manager Presents Email Evidence Showing He Corresponded With Athletics Kenya About Makau's Injury In case you missed it, yesterday Athletics Kenya named Emmanuel Mutai to the Olympic Marathon Team after Moses Mosop pulled out with injury. In the process AK snubbed Makau and Geoffrey
Mutai, saying they did not keep AK abreast of the status of their injuries.
LRC Update: Statement From Makau's Manager Zane Branson Disputing AK's Claim
*1-Minute Audio Clip Of AK President Isaiah Kiplagat Saying He Had Not Received Reports From Agents On Makau's Status
Police Claim Bolt Was Given A Breathalyzer & That He Passed It Sounds like they'd give him a free pass no matter what from this quote from the police chief: "He is a youngster and he will do what youngsters do to enjoy themselves, but not to that extreme. I am not here to ridicule youngsters but here to guide them and a warning is one way to guide a youngster and so discretion will be used."
Usain Bolt Involved In 5:15 AM Car Accident After Partying It Up Asafa Powell was allegedly on the scene as well. The good news is no one was seriously hurt and the Jamaicans are saying Bolt is not above the law. The
real question is what is Bolt doing out at 5:15 am? *Discuss
*Publicist: Bolt Uninjured In Jamaican Car Crash
2012 NCAA Champs *Results *Schedule *LRC Day 1 Photos *Day 2 Photos *LRC Previews: Men *Women *Nice Charles Jock Feature *Full Day 4 ESPN Replay
Illiniois Sr. Andrew Riley, Who Pulled Off Unprecedented 100/110H Double At NCAAs, Now Might Be A Bank Teller? Yep, because he's from sprint-rich Jamaica.
*Drake Wants To Host 2016 US Olympic Trials We know one thing. It shouldn't be in Eugene. The Super Bowl rotates to generate excitement - well, the Trials are our sport's Super Bowl.
Saturday: LRC Andy Bayer Wins Over Miles Batty With A Diving Finish, Katie Flood Outkicks Emily Infeld & Jordan Hasay The 2012 outdoor NCAA Track and Field championships in Des Moines came to a close with some edge-of-your-seat finishes in the distance and mid-distance races. In the 1,500, Andy Bayer won by a hundredth of a second in a photo finish over Miles Batty, and Katie Flood held off attacks from Emily Infeld and Jordan Hasay. Donn Cabral got his first NCAA title in the steeple and in the women's 5,000 Dartmouth's Abbey D'Agostino won by .03 seconds over Washington's Megan Goethals. In the team competition, LSU women beat Oregon and Florida men beat LSU by 2 points as it came down to the 4 x 4.
*IAAF Recap Of NCAAs
*Florida Men Finally Claim First NCAA Outdoor Title
*AP Recap: LSU Women, Florida Men Win Titles
Three Recommended Reads
- British Columnist: "If anyone can find a future for athletics, do tell me." The opening paragraph should get you hooked: "Athletics Weekly is the world’s only magazine covering the sport with seven-day regularity. Its circulation? Five thousand."
- Irish Writer Raves About PBS Documentary On Jesse Owens A must-read, as you realize how different the world was in 1936. Hitler: "Do you really think that I will allow myself to be photographed shaking hands with a Negro?"
- Running Times Scott Douglas Asks: What Makes A Good Coach? We Answer: Super-Talented Athletes Actually, we like this: "Emotional and personality matches are what's most important," says former American record-holder Bob Kennedy.
- More From Running Times: Running Times Asks: Should we stop worrying that running's not on TV? Yes, we should. Network TV is critical.
*Ultra Runner Gives Up Law Career To Run
Friday: LRC Cam Levins Becomes A Legend, Charles Jock Becomes A Champion, And Nachelle Mackie Remains Undefeated Against Collegians Day 3 certainly did not disappoint the mid-d and distance fans!!! In the 800, Charles Jock and Nachelle Mackie got the titles they so deserved after fighting off some spirted challengers, as Jock won for the first time and Mackie remained undefeated against collegians on the year; in the steeple, Colorado's Shalaya Kipp got a closer-than-expected victory; and then in the 5,000, Cam Levins became a legend by doing what he does best - obliterating the field over the final 150.
LRC Texas A&M's Natosha Rogers Is The Surprise Winner In The Women's 10k After a blistering first mile led by Cal's Deborah Maier, Rogers and her traded the lead until it was down to a 4-woman race. Like the men's race, it was no contest as Rogers closed in 68 to blow the other 3 away and PR by over a minute (32:41). Wichita State’s Alphine Tuliamuk was 2nd, Maier 3rd, and Meaghan Nelson of Iowa State a close 4th.
LRC Rest Of Day 2 Recap: 1,500m And Men's Steeplechase Prelim Recaps: Kyle Merber Misses Final
*Coach Dave Smith: "[Fernandez] was in the fast heat because he made it the fast heat ... It's a really tough, gutsy way to run."
*Laura Roesler SO Spilt 51.4 WOW
LRC Men's 10k Results: Cam Levins Wins, Sambu 2nd, Derrick 3rd Two seniors with amazing credentials really wanted this one but in the end only one could get his first NCAA title and it was no contest the final 200m. After Chris Derrick fell back on the bell lap, Cam Levins blasted the last 150m and looked sensational in getting the win over Stephen Sambu.
LRC Rest Of Day 1 Recap: 800m And Women's Steeple Prelim Recaps: Cas Loxsom Goes Home
*LRC Day 1 NCAA Photos
US 5k Stars Of Past In News
- Recommended Read A Great Chat With Former American 5,000 Record Holder Bob Kennedy This is must-read for anyone under 30 who doesn't properly appreciate Kennedy. We'll almost certainly use this as QOTD for Wednesday but were so fired up by the Tyson Gay thing that we put that up so people would read a sprinting article. *Discuss: MB: Kennedy takes dig at Rupp?
- After Pre Disaster, Tegenkamp Starting To Realize His Best 5,000 Days Are Likely Past As "Old Man Bell Curve" Is Starting - Excited About 10k He's been unwilling to accept that 13:10-15 is likely all he can muster at this point in the 5k according to his coach. "Since turning professional I have not missed an "Outdoor US Team" and I can promise you I don't plan on that happening in an Olympic year. I know my fitness is great, I believe I have a lot of room to improve in the 10,000 and I am looking forward to the challenge! A new chapter is starting; 3:34.25, 7:34.98, 8:07.07, 12:58.56 may very well be set in stone but the 10,000. ... So much room for improvement. ... HERE WE GO!"
Excellent Read: Science Of Sport Breaks Down Comrades Marathon Like Only They Can Former 2:06 guy Gert Thys tried to break the course record by 20 minutes and ended up a DNF but that totally changed the race.
Diamond League Rome *Results
Rome: LRC Recap Of Rome 2012: Bolt Returns In Style, Men's Steeple WR Almost Goes Down, Dibaba & Jelimo Do Go Down In Defeat, And A Thrilling Women's 5,000 Usain Bolt returned to form with a world leader in the men's 100, but this race from a LetsRun.com perspective was led by the women's mid-d and distance action. There were two mid-d stunners on the women's side, as two heavy favorites in Pamela Jelimo and Genzebe Dibaba were soundly beaten as US world #1 Morgan Uceny impressed but was nowhere close to winning. The women's 5,000 produced a thrilling finish between Vivian Cheruiyot and Meseret Defar that reminded us of Haile G/Paul Tergat and Paul Kipsiele Koech nearly got the WR in the steeple. All of that and a whole lot more.
- Who Needs Funding? UK's HJ Winner Robbie Grabarz Was Actually Cut From Funding 7 Months Ago
Sammy Wanjiru RIP: Nov 10, 1986 To May 15, 2011
- Wanjiru's "Recognized" Wife, Fellow Athletes, Former Coaches Painfully Remember The Fallen Hero "He always took care of his children and was always there to support them and make them happy."
- Wanjiru's Widow, Fellow Runners Mark His Death With Low-Key Ceremony In Nyahururu - Mother Conspicuously Absent
4 Really Great Recommended Reads *Also Look For A Great Wanjiru Article In Print Version Of The New Yorker
#1 - Journalism Still Exists: ESPN The Magazine's Shaun Assael Writes 5,122 Word Epic On Sammy Wanjiru's Life And Death From his start as a schoolboy to details as to why his mother claims he was murdered, Assael leaves no stone unturned.
points out that many other successful Kenyans before Wanjiru
have also struggled with fame, including Paul Kipkoech, Richard Chelimo and Benson Masya, who all died young. Sadly, Wanjiru was going to train in San Diego to get away from it all but couldn't because of a gun charge. *Interview Of Author On Right Column
#2 - 50 Stunning Olympic Moments No. 30: Zola Budd In 1984 Do most people remember Budd was just 17 when she set the WR in the 5,000 at 15:01 and when she collided with Mary Slaney? The article reveals that Budd's family disintegrated after she left South Africa to compete for GBR and it also reveals Mary Slaney to have been unbelievably rude to rip a 17-year-old. *Zola Budd - In Pictures
#3 - Wall St. Journal Profile Nails Abdi Abdirahman's Personality Perfectly!!! "Going for Gold - or Whatever The Secret to an Aging Olympian's Endurance: Don't Let Training Get in the Way of Fun" Is Abdi's love of life (ohers might say laziness) an asset?
#4 - What Really Happened At 1st Olympic Women's 800 In 1928? Despite what was reported, 5 of the 11 runners didn't drop out with another 5 collapsing at the finish. The only person collapsing at the finish that year was Paavo Nurmi, but women's mid-d and distance running would be banned for years nonetheless.
USATF Juniors/ New Balance High School Outdoor Nationals This Weekend NBON: *Results *Boys Preview *Girls Preview *US Junior Champs *Results
- NBON: MileSplit Coverage: Jacob Burcham wins tactical mile in 4:08.8; Kelsey Margey takes girls race in 4:45.74 over Wesley Frazier. Tatnall won the girls 4 x Mile in US#3 All-Time
time; Marshfield won the boys DMR (10:01.32) as 7 teams were under 10:11.
*RRW: Cheserek, Fraizer Successful On Day 2
*DyeStat Fri. Recap CBA NJ (NJ) wins epic 4 x 800m in 7:34.67 as 6 teams break 7:40. Edward Cheserek wins the 2 mile in 8:55.12, Wesley Frazier wins the girl's 2 mile in 10:13.43.
*First Day: Ashley Erba Wins Girls 5k In 16:18 MR (#7 All-Time) Over Defending Champ Wesley Fraizer (updated) Jake Leingang won for the boys in 14:27.16 (less than 2 seconds off Ed Cheserek's MR).
- US Junior Championships: DyeStat Coverage Ajee Wilson wins 800 in 2:04.86. Shaquille Walker wins men's race in 1:49.39. Oregon's Allison Woodward wins 5k (16:15) over Cayla Hatton. Oregon's Ryan Pickering won the 10k in 30:56.
*DyeStat Friday Recap: Tyreek Hill Won The 100m In 10.28 Into A 1.8 Headwind
*Day 1: Brianna Nerud Wins Steeple In 10:23; Oklahoma State's Kirubel Erassa Takes 5k In 14:28 Shelbi Vaughan set an American Junior record in the discus and Nikita Kirillov broke a 19-year-old MR in the men's PV.
*Shelby Ashe Breaks Her Own American Junior Hammer Record
*Haley Crouser Wins USA Junior Javelin Title
NCAA Photos Day 4 Andy Bayer's Dive Vs. Miles Batty's Dive (Click Below For Gallery)
NCAA Photos Day 3 Charles Jock Title #1, Cam Levins #2 (Click Below For Gallery)
UK Olympic Trials Start Next Friday
- Tariku Bekele One Of Several Ethiopians Competing In UK Olympic Trials 10k Along with Gebre Gebremariam, Sileshi Sihine and there are even rumors saying Kenenisa Bekele might enter. Mo Farah will be in the 1,500.
- Preview: Dwain Chambers Among Those Fighting For An Olympic Spot
- With 5 Already Having The "A" Standard, 400m Hurdle World Champ Dai Greene Could Have A Tough Time Just Making It To The Olympics
Diamond League Previews
- 10 Days After The Olympics: VeronicaCampbell-Brown & PVer Renaud Lavillenie First Announced For Lausanne Diamond League Meet
- July 6th: 100m Clash Set For Meeting Areva Diamond League Meet With Tyson Gay, Justin Gatlin And Christophe Lemaitre
adidas GP Photos
Matt Taylor Speaks
LRC Redefine Running: An Introduction Matt Taylor, the guy behind ChasingTradition, ChasingKimbia, ChasingGlory, ChasingBolt, and an upcoming Usain Bolt video game, has some thoughts on our "dying sport." He introduces himself in this piece. We honestly don't know where he's going with this series, but are proud to let Matt be the second guest columnist to have a series on LRC.
Non-Adidas/NCAA Weekend Results
- Edna Kiplagat Wins NYRR Mini 10k In Dominant Style She won in 32:08 over Aheza Kiros (32:18). NYC Marathon champ Firehiwot
Dado was back in 5th as Desiree Davila was 11th (3rd American). *IAAF
*A Brief Chat With Desiree Davila After Her 11th Place Finish In 33:38 At Saturday's NYRR Mini 10K
- Portland Results Ritz back-to-back 5k's in 13:19 and 13:58 as Aaron Braun misses the "A" by .25 in 13:20.25.
*MB: Dathan Ritzenhein Runs 2 5000m Races Within An Hour - Why ?
*Ritz Explains: "The plan was to get in the fast 5K and run relaxed and then concentrate on the last lap. Then come back and run 14 minutes as a workout."
ExxonMobil Bislett Games *Results *Yahoo Photos
Reigns, Ethiopian 5k Trials, Chemos Wins Historic Steeple, Kiprop Wins Dream Mile, And More The meet is in the books. Usain Bolt had to work hard to beat Asafa Powell. Dejen Gebremeskel won the 5,000m at the Ethiopian Trials and Kenenisa Bekele finished 5th. Milcah Chemos won a historic steeple while Aregawi showed she's best in the world at 1,500m and Morgan Uceny had no pop the last 100m. Javier Culson
and Sally Pearson had world leaders in the hurdles.
*Milcah Chemos Smashes African Steeplechase Record With 9:07.14 (#4 All-Time) www.capitalfm.co.ke
IAAF Celebrates 100th Anniversary In Times Square (Desi Davila And Tirunesh Dibaba On Hand, Article Here, Photo Gallery Below)
Pre Day 2 Photos
Pre Day 1 Photos *Day 1 Recap Here *Day 2 Full Results *Day 2 Reaction
The Great One Says Goodbye To The Track (Hengelo Photos)
Ostrava Photos (Usain Bolt 10.04)
The Wait Is Over
LRC LetsRun.com T-Shirt Design Contest The Empire State Building was built in a year, Hoover Dam took 5, so we figured 12 years is long enough for LetsRun.com T-Shirts. We pay homage to the 99%, and you let your LRC faithful come up with the design.
Big Story? Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist
Unbelievable: Convicted Drug Cheat Dennis Mitchell Coaching Justin Gatlin This isn't new news and has been the case all spring, we just didn't realize it. 6 years ago, little LRC pointed out Mitchell, the guy who claimed he tested positive because he had five beers and sex four times with his wife (maybe Dennis can give his advice here), an excuse USATF accepted, was coaching a USATF international team. USATF then tried to claim a different Dennis Mitchell, the University of Akron coach, was the actual coach. Mitchell is free to coach whomever he wants. You'd think Gatlin might be concerned about public perception.
UAE Healthy Kidney 10k Photos
Another Steeple Fail (Getting Picked Up By USA Today Blogger)
Bekoji, Ethiopia: Town Of Runners By now many of you have heard of Iten, Kenya - the tiny town where many Kenyan stars train. The Ethiopian town of Bekoji may be even more impressive,
it is where Kenenisa Bekele (3 Olympic golds), Tirunesh Dibaba (2 Olympic golds), Derartu Tulu (2 Olympic golds), and Fatuma Roba (1 Olympic gold) were all born. Lengthy Guardian profile on the town and its unheralded coach Sentayehu Eshetu. A movie on the town - "Town of Runners" - comes out later this month.
*Bekoji Photo Gallery