Samsung Diamond League - adidas Grand Prix *Results
Post-NYC 800-Related News
More From Rudisha After His Record Run: "If I get a few more weeks of good training I will be ready for anything in London."
Hoping For 1:42, Mohammed Aman Settles For 1:44 In Wind in France In Next-To-Last Race Before Olympics He went out in 49 trying to emulate Rudisha. "I'm disappointed because there was a lot of wind in the back stretch and as a result, this time is not good for me."
LRC 800s: David Rudisha Mesmerizes The Crowd As Fantu Magiso Wins Again David Rudisha was simply magnificent, as he was so good he even surprised himself, setting a new US all-comers record of 1:41.74. Robby Andrews' adidas debut resulted in him beating two people but running his second-fastest time ever. In the women's race, the Fantu Magiso show rolled on as Maggie Vessey was a non-factor and Jenny Simpson was simply atrocious and beaten by two high schoolers. In other events, Tirunesh Dibaba handled Meseret Defar with ease, and Tyson Gay impressed us a ton in the "B" heat of the 100m. More later.
LRC 5,000: Tirunesh Dibaba Crushes Dibaba With 4:05 Last 1500 to Win 5000m In Breathtaking Fashion The matchup between the #1 and #2 5,000 runners in history did not disappoint as Dibaba closed the last 1,600 in 4:22 and last 1,500 in a ridiculous 4:05 to get a dominant 6+ second victory over Meseret Defar. It's as if the "baby-faced assasin" was never gone and didn't miss all of 2011.
LRC 1,500: Bernard Lagat Returns To His Winning Ways (updated with quotes from Lagat, Webb & Torrence) Lagat's finishing kick of old came out in full force as he got the win in a thrilling stretch run over a guy 17.5 years younger than him and a guy who is the world's #4 1,500 man on the year. Alan Webb's quest for the "A" came up short as David Torrence ran well.
LRC HS Miles: Junior Bernie Montoya Runs 4:01.32 To Capture Deepest Boys Mile In HS History As Three Girls Break 4:40 6 guys broke 4:03 and 9 broke 4:05 - truly ridiculous. *Levonte Whitfield, Shayla Sanders Win Boys/Girls Dream 100s As Recent 10.19 Star Tyreek Hill Is DQed For False Start
Other Events: *IAAF Recap Of Meet *AFP Recap Of NY *Reuters
*Tyson Gay Runs 10.00 - Equivalent Of 9.90 In No Wind - Might Have Beaten Yohan Blake Had They Raced Head-To-Head Gay looked fantastic as Blake ran 9.90 but had a headwind.
*Tyson Gay Pleased To Be Back & To Have Gotten Rid Of Jitters Before Trials Kudos to NBC for leaving gymnastics to cover the "B" heat live.
*Quotes From US Athletes At Adidas GP Gay: “I think my agent tricked me saying he was putting me in a low key heat. But then I get out here and see all of the cameras. I was pretty nervous."
*Viljoen In Jav "Wow, world No. 1 with a new SA, Africa and Commonwealth record."
*The Guardian Article On 100m Sprint Rivalry Between Gatlin, Bolt, Powell, Blake And Gay Jamaican Jermaine Gonzales on Bolt: "He can be a bit inconsistent and miss the odd day here and there but he doesn't know how to run slow ..."
*Craig Mottram, Always A Good Interview Jokes that less media exposure means he has more time to cool down; drops an f-bomb at the very end.
*Kenyan Paper: Matt Scherer Fills In Nicely For Sammy Tangui As Rudisha's Rabbit
*Media Practically Ignored Race Winner Lueguelin Santos And Focused On Oscar P He missed the Olympic "A" again, but says he thinks he'll go to the Olympic even without it, possibly as part of SA's 4 x 4.
*Sunette Viljoen Sets SA Jav Record, Beating WR Holder Barbora Spotakova
Recommended Read NY Times Profiles The "Baby-Faced Destroyer" - Tirunesh Dibaba - LRC Gets Mention The Times takes a look at the woman who is big enough in Ethiopia that hundreds of thousands came to her post-wedding celebration. "Because she did a traditional marriage ceremony, it added to the respect people have for her," Teferi Debebe, who covers Ethiopian track for Letsrun.com, said. "She showed her respect for the culture. This is what everybody wanted to see."
*NYC Press Conference Highlights: Rudisha Talks Tactics & Wariner Says "Don't Count Me Out."
Rudisha: "I need to be ready for whatever."
Wariner: "This year, the stress is off. I can focus on my training. There are times when people have counted me out, saying LaShawn Merritt and Kirani James will take over. I use that as fuel. I opened in 44 this year, which I haven't done since 2007, so I know this year will be great.
*British Journalist Catches Up With Dayron Robles In Cuba He's a little injured and thus out of NYC but still hoping to be the 3rd man to defend his 110h title before retiring at age 25? That's what the article says.
*Gary Cohen Interview With Shannon Rowbury On Her Training And Plans For 2012 Says she made 2011 Worlds on only 6 weeks real training as she was dealing with an achilles injury.
*Neely Spence Moves From Pennsylvania To Michigan Now living and training with Hanson-Brooks.
- IAAF Preview Of Moscow Challenge: World Champ Mariya Savinova Highlights Competitive 800 Up against European indoor champ Elena Arzhakova.
- Problem, Maybe? London Bus Drivers Vote To Go On Strike During Olympics
- Charles van Commenee Broke His Ribs By Falling Of His Bicycle In Amsterdam
- Former Olympic 800 Silver Medallist Hezekiel Sepeng Concerned With Caster Semenya's Fitness Ahead Of The Games He probably should be.
- Elite Marathon Runner Hendrick Ramaala Elected Vice-President Of Athletics South Africa
News/Reads From Europe
- Recommended Read Meet Ron Delaney - The Villanova Alum Won The 1956 Olympic 1,500, Set 3 Mile WRs And Won 40 Miles In A Row He is in the news as he recently carried the Olympic torch.
- Spain's Álvaro Rodríguez Runs 3:34 For 2nd Time This Year - Dreams Of European Gold
- Dwain Chambers Wins (10.29) But Misses "A" Of 10.18
- Ireland's Fionnuala Britton To Try 5,000/10,000 Double At Euros
- Video/Pics Of Bolt Slamming Into Flower Girl In Oslo
- Great Interview: Brief Chat With Anthony Whiteman, Who Went Sub-4:00 At 40 "The best thing you can do is tell me I'm not good enough. Because I'll go away, and I'll work harder, and I will shove it down your throat."
- NBC Q&A: Desiree Davila Says she does all her training in Michigan and doesn't go to altitude like Kara and Shalane.
- Story Behind Mo Farah's "Mobot" Celebration Pose
- Coach Of Recent UK HJ Star Robbie Grabarz Says It Will Take An "Unbelievable" Performance To Beat Him In London Coach Fuzz Ahmed: "If I were to design a physical specimen that will be a world class high jumper I'd draw a picture of Robbie."
- Dayron Robles Says There's No Place For Friendship On The Track
- Liu Xiang's Technique Makes Him A Master
Previous adidas Grand Prix News *adidas Start Lists
Meseret Defar Added To Field - Will Clash With Tirunesh Dibaba At 5,000 This is Defar's 1st 5,000 in NY since she set the WR in 2006 on the same track.
*HS Dream 100s And Dream Mile Fields Are Finalized Last year, Lukas V broke 4:00. Less than a year later, he was mentally crushed and out of the sport.
*MB: Robby Andrews Talks About Facing Rudisha
*Leg Swelling Causes Dayron Robles To Pull Out of NYC Coach: "It will not rule out his attendance at the London Olympics and he will compete again in late June in Europe
*Yohan Blake Talks About Beating Bolt And Getting His Record At The Adidas GP jamaica-gleaner.com We're all human at the starting line "I work twice as hard as everybody else. That's why they call me The Beast,
*Yohan Blake And Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce Headline Jamaican Athletes At NYC Adidas GP
*Q&A With Carmelita Jeter On NY, Pre, The OT, And The False Start Rule
*Oscar P Gets Publicity In NY Post - He Still Needs Olympic A Of 45.30
*Allyson Felix, Tianna Madison Join adidas Grand Prix 100m The 100-meter field that already included Carmelita Jeter, the reigning World Champion ranked #1 in the world for 2011, and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica, the 2008 Olympic gold medalist and 2009 World Champion.
*Tyson Gay To Make Opener In New York In B Heat
*Former Columbia Runner LBP Runs 2-Second PR - Qualifies For 800 With 1:46 Kudos to them for having direct qualifiers (scroll down). Results here. *Lalonde Gordon Runs 45.33 To Also Qualify
*Robby Andrews Runs 1:50.96 - Wins By A Ton
A Few Good Reads
- Recommended Read Meet Kenyan 10,000 Champion Wilson Kiprop Abandoned by his father and then effectively orphaned at the age of 15 when his mother passed, Kiprop had to raise his family and somehow start a running career. A GREAT story.
- Recommended Read: UCI's Jock driven to write perfect ending to incredible journey Jock's life story sounds like it was written by a movie director, but will he get the happy ending?
- Boss Of Company That Owns Puma Loves Usain Bolt Check out who the guy who owns it is. "Francois-Henri Pinault, the world's 77th richest man with an estimated £7.15bn fortune, husband of Hollywood actress Salma Hayek, father of supermodel Linda Evangelista's child, could easily be dismissed as an uber-rich playboy who has gone around the world collecting brands and beautiful women."
- Not A Joke: Athletics Canada To Include Athletes' Twitter Handles On Their Bibs
- UK Coach Charles van Commenee: It's Business Time (Olympics Are Approaching) A good read for sure. He's banned the Brits from attending the opening ceremony.
- Charles van Commenee: I'm Teaching The Brits The Words To God Save The Queen
- Seems Crazy: Australian Olympic Triathlon Champ Left Off Olympic Team She also was controversially left off the 2004 team and yet won World or Olympic titles in 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2008.
- Last Chance To Qualify For US Olympic Trials: American Miler Series Start June 6, 9, 13 And 16
- Running Into Wind, Dwain Chambers Misses Olympic Qualifying Time In France (10.48)
Pre Classic *Full Results *Saturday Recap *Friday Recap *Day 1 Photos *Day 2 Photos
LRC Day 2: Rupp Joins Sub-13 Club, Asbel Kiprop - Mr. Bowerman, Liu Xiang, SRR And Much More Mo Farah is still the top distance runner in the world and Galen Rupp was right there with him mixing it up like he belonged as he became the first American under 13:00 at Pre. Asbel Kiprop won the Bowerman Mile as Andrew Wheating got DFL. Kaki prevailed over Aman as Nick Symmonds and KD squared off again. Liu Xiang ran 12.87, Sanya Richards-Ross got a big win and much, much more. LRC analysis, results, race video and interviews.
- More On Men's 5,000m: Alberto Says Galen And Mo Are In 12:50 Shape Oregonian
- An encouraging day for Nick Symmonds, one to forget for Andrew Wheating Eugene Register-Guard
- Justin Gatlin: "I don't go out six days a week, train for five hours a day to get silver and bronze."
LRC Day 1: Wilson Kiprop Wins In USA, Alysia Montano Dominates, Tirunesh Dibaba And Alan Webb Want More, Alice Schdmit Upsets Jenny Simpson Arguably the greatest Pre Classic ever kicked off Hollister Night at Hayward. The Kenyan Olympic Trials - won by World Half Marathon champ Wilson Kiprop - were the headliner, but Alysia Montano tried to steal the show, Alice Schmidt upset Jenny Simpson, and Alan Webb and Matt Centrowitz ran the mile. Full recap, analysis, post race reaction.
*More: Renato Canova Talks About Alan Webb, Wilson Kiprop, And More *RRW Recap *Photos
*Moses Masai Says He Didn't Push Too Hard At The End
*BBC Article On How You Should Choose An Olympic Team "Ultimately selection is a compromise with no perfect solution."
*Oregonian Recap: Alysia Montano 1:57.37, Alice Schmidt Wins 1,500m Over Jenny Simpson, No One Gets "A" In International Mile
*MB: OFFICIAL THREAD PRE CLASSIC 06/01/12 (LIVE FEED)
LRC Kenenisa Bekele, Mo Farah, Bernard Lagat And Asbel Kiprop At The 2012 Prefontaine Press Conference Lagat gave advice as to what event Lomong and Torrence should run at the Trials, Farah talked about Rupp doing all the workouts with him, Bekele reveled whether he has enough time to get ready for the Olympics and Kiprop even praised Matt Centrowitz.
*LA Times Profile On Bernard Lagat
*Manager Jos Hermens Says Bekele Has Only "Just Started His Real Training" As His New Softer-Surfaced Track Was Finished 2 Weeks Ago
Hengelo Highlights Sunday *Results *Live Thread
LRC Haile G's Olympic Days Come To An End As Tariku Bekele Wins In 27:11.70 As Geb Gets Smoked On Last Lap,
Ritz Misses "A" Standard updated The Ethiopian selection race came down to a kick on the final lap and there was no way the 39-year-old Gebrselassie was going to outkick his younger rivals. Afterwards, Geb said, "That's life. I am not disappointed." Dathan Ritzenhein missed the "A" standard of 27:45 on a warm day (78 at the start). In other action, Nixon Chepseba won in 3:29.90, Nate Brannen got a PR and an "A"
standard, Janeth Jepkosgei ran
Hannah England won the 1,500, Adam Kszczot ran 1:43.84 for his second win in 2 days, and 18-year-old Luguelín Santos ran 44.45. *IAAF
*Post-Race Video Interview With Ritz He's not sure if he'll just run the 5k at the or go for the "A" in the 10k at the Trials. Says the heat was tough.
*Some More Quotes From Haile
*Pre-Race Video With Haile G With this race he became the fastest 39-year-old ever at 10k.
*SA 800m Runner Andre Olivier Hits Olympic Standard In Hengelo With 1:45.20
*Phillips Idowu Won The TJ In 17.31m
OTB: Live play by play of 10k thread
*Chepseba 3'29.90 !!!
*What will Ritz do now?
Toronto: Geoffrey Mutai (27:41), Lindsey Scherf Win Ottawa 10ks *Results
*Former Harvard Standout Lindsey Scherf Wins Women's Race
*IAAF Article Windy conditions and lack of competition or pacemaker hurt Mutai's time.
*Laban Moiben Defends Ottawa Marathon Title In 2:09:13 For the women, favorite Teyba Erkesso (2:23:53 PR) dropped out with sickness, leaving the victory to Yeshi Esayias in 2:28:46.
On The Boards: I just watched Mutai destroy the field in Ottawa
Canadian High Schooler Runs 1:47.14 To Beat Nick Willis
The Guy In The Fall
LRC The Collegiate Career Of Jake Hojnacki, The Guy In The Epic Steeple Fail, Comes To An End If you're like the other 516,654 people who have seen this video, you know Jake Hojnacki as a guy who took a dive into the steeple pit and pretty much almost drowned. Turns out Employee 1.1 is one of Jake's coaches. Jake's collegiate career came to an end this past weekend in notable fashion. We bring to you his story as runners like Jake represent the heart and soul of LetsRun.com.
Recommended Read: Two Years Ago, Joey Stoltz Almost Died And Today He Is A Marathoner "Less than two years ago, I was at the hospital and the doctors told me I wouldn't run again so those last two miles [of the marathon] were so emotional."
Samsung Diamond League Doha *Results *LRC Recap *MB: Discussion *IAAF Recap
Doha: LRC LetsRun.com's Recap Of Doha 2012: The Samsung Diamond League Starts Off In Style If all the meets this year are as good as this one, we're going to have an incredible Olympics. Asbel Kiprop went sub-3:30 for the first time ever and lost to Silas Kiplagat, a race was perfectly designed for Vivian Cheruiyot to lose and she won, Kenenisa Bekele looked average, Paul Koech tore up the steeple, and Pamela Jelimo may have a new challenger. American stalwarts LaShawn Merritt and Allyson Felix impressed, and Americans Russell Brown and Molly Beckwith did what they wanted in the distances.
Pro Distance News
Korir Running Chicago
LRC Wesley Korir: From #T248 To #1 At Chicago The first time Wesley ran Chicago (photo here), he paid his entry fee like everyone else and started with the masses. Now 4 years later he's returning as the Boston Marathon champ. Learn more about Wesley (he hopes to be a US citizen soon) and how the late Sammy Wanjiru inspired Wesley to be a champion.
2012 Harry Jerome Classic *Results
LRC Much Improved Andrew Wheating Wins 1,500 At 2012 Harry Jerome Track Classic Wheating closed in 55-high to get the win in 3:35.89. Centro was much improved from last week as well.
MB: Wheating wins in 3:35.89
MB: Canadians: What is up with your crazy Olympic qualifying process?
Usain Bolt Involved In 5:15 AM Car Accident After Partying It Up In America, we're sure the DUI police would be going bonkers. We doubt
anything will happen in Jamaica. Asafa Powell was allegedly on the scene as well. *Discuss
*Publicist: Bolt Uninjured In Jamaican Car Crash
2012 NCAA Champs *Results *Schedule *LRC Day 1 Photos *Day 2 Photos *LRC Previews: Men *Women *Nice Charles Jock Feature *Full Day 4 ESPN Replay
Illiniois Sr. Andrew Riley, Who Pulled Off Unprecedented 100/110H Double At NCAAs, Now Might Be A Bank Teller? Yep, because he's from sprint-rich Jamaica.
*Drake Wants To Host 2016 US Olympic Trials We know one thing. It shouldn't be in Eugene. The Super Bowl rotates to generate excitement - well, the Trials are our sport's Super Bowl.
Saturday: LRC Andy Bayer Wins Over Miles Batty With A Diving Finish, Katie Flood Outkicks Emily Infeld & Jordan Hasay The 2012 outdoor NCAA Track and Field championships in Des Moines came to a close with some edge-of-your-seat finishes in the distance and mid-distance races. In the 1,500, Andy Bayer won by a hundredth of a second in a photo finish over Miles Batty, and Katie Flood held off attacks from Emily Infeld and Jordan Hasay. Donn Cabral got his first NCAA title in the steeple and in the women's 5,000 Dartmouth's Abbey D'Agostino won by .03 seconds over Washington's Megan Goethals. In the team competition, LSU women beat Oregon and Florida men beat LSU by 2 points as it came down to the 4 x 4.
*IAAF Recap Of NCAAs
*Florida Men Finally Claim First NCAA Outdoor Title
*AP Recap: LSU Women, Florida Men Win Titles
*Oregon Women's Best Score Ever Falls Just Short
*Meet Record In The 4 X 400 Consoles UO Women As They Finish Second Again In The Team Standings Vin Lananna: "I didn't expect LSU to have such a great meet. ... They had a fantastic meet. I don't have any excuses."
*USTFCCCA's Final NCAA Champs Wrap-Up
*Recommended Interview: A Disappointed Sheila Reid Talks About Her Last Collegiate Race "If you don't care about these races you're never going to care. So I'm going to remember this."
Three Recommended Reads
- British Columnist: "If anyone can find a future for athletics, do tell me." The opening paragraph should get you hooked: "Athletics Weekly is the world’s only magazine covering the sport with seven-day regularity. Its circulation? Five thousand."
Irish Writer Raves About PBS Documentary On Jesse Owens A must-read, as you realize how different the world was in 1936. Hitler: "Do you really think that I will allow myself to be photographed shaking hands with a Negro?"
- Running Times Scott Douglas Asks: What Makes A Good Caoch? We Answer: Super-Talented Athletes Actually, we like this: "Emotional and personality matches are what's most important," says former American record-holder Bob Kennedy.
More From Running Times: Running Times Asks: Should we stop worrying that running's not on TV? Yes, we should. Network TV is critical.
*Ultra Runner Gives Up Law Career To Run
More NCAA Coverage
*Cabral And D'Agostino Highlight Ivy League Performances hepstrack.com
*Complete & Final NCAA Champs Quote Sheets
*Video: Omar Craddock Wins NCAA Triple Jump
OTB: My heart almost stopped in the women's 1500
*NCAA Women's 5000
*Jordan Hasay's big mistake!
*Abbey D'Agostino is tough as nails
*ESPN- YOU ARE THE WORST!!! A large portion of the women's 5k coverage was actually replays of the field events from yesterday.
*German Fernandez Interview: Only been running for 1.5 months
Friday: LRC Cam Levins Becomes A Legend, Charles Jock Becomes A Champion, And Nachelle Mackie Remains Undefeated Against Collegians Day 3 certainly did not disappoint the mid-d and distance fans!!! In the 800, Charles Jock and Nachelle Mackie got the titles they so deserved after fighting off some spirted challengers, as Jock won for the first time and Mackie remained undefeated against collegians on the year; in the steeple, Colorado's Shalaya Kipp got a closer-than-expected victory; and then in the 5,000, Cam Levins became a legend by doing what he does best - obliterating the field over the final 150.
*AP Recap Of Day 3: 5/1,000s Separate Top 3 In Men's 100m
*Des Moines Register: Dead Heat In 100 Just One Of Day's Thrilling Events
*Oregon's Women Do Well As Brianne Theisen & English Gardner Win - But LSU Does Better
*After Winning Title, Thiesen To Go Drinking With Her Coach "Im going out and having a drink with my coach. I’m not going to lie. We're celebrating a little bit."
*At NCAAs, Dennis Shaver - Lolo's Coach Optimistic She's "Making Progress"
*Surprise: Cabral Fails To Make Final
*Did You Know? 25,295 Women Competed In College Track & Field Last Year
More Non-Friday Distance Press:
*The Independent Profiles Oklahoma State's Olympic Hopeful At 5,000 - Tom Farrell
*After Missing 6 Weeks With Ruptured Appendix, Luke Puskedra Enjoyed Getting 4th His Final NCAA Race "It feels pretty good to be in that company. It was fun out there. We'll see if this is the next generation of distance runners moving up."
LRC Texas A&M's Natosha Rogers Is The Surprise Winner In The Women's 10k After a blistering first mile led by Cal's Deborah Maier, Rogers and her traded the lead until it was down to a 4-woman race. Like the men's race, it was no contest as Rogers closed in 68 to blow the other 3 away and PR by over a minute (32:41). Wichita State’s Alphine Tuliamuk was 2nd, Maier 3rd, and Meaghan Nelson of Iowa State a close 4th.
LRC Rest Of Day 2 Recap: 1,500m And Men's Steeplechase Prelim Recaps: Kyle Merber Misses Final
*Coach Dave Smith: "[Fernandez] was in the fast heat because he made it the fast heat ... It's a really tough, gutsy way to run."
*UO Team Update: Brianne Theisen Highlights Day 2 With Three PRs To Lead Heptathlon Freshman Allie Woodward was impressive in the 10k as she ran 32:56 for 5th (and 2nd in UO school history).
*Florida Junior Tony McQuay Runs An NCAA-Leading 44.67 In 400m Prelims Also puts him 2nd in the US and 3rd in the world this year.
*Stanford's Katerina Stefanídi Wins NCAA PV And Ties Meet Record
*Erik Kynard Defends His NCAA HJ Title
*Sooners' Brittany Borman Repeats Her NCAA Javelin Win
*Laura Roesler SO Spilt 51.4 WOW
*Germam Fernanzez advances to NCAA 1500 final with a 3:40.19
LRC Men's 10k Results: Cam Levins Wins, Sambu 2nd, Derrick 3rd Two seniors with amazing credentials really wanted this one but in the end only one could get his first NCAA title and it was no contest the final 200m. After Chris Derrick fell back on the bell lap, Cam Levins blasted the last 150m and looked sensational in getting the win over Stephen Sambu.
LRC Rest Of Day 1 Recap: 800m And Women's Steeple Prelim Recaps: Cas Loxsom Goes Home
*LRC Day 1 NCAA Photos
*Team Competition: All Goes Well For Oregon On Day 1
*Vin Lananna On Puskedra's 4th Place 10k Finish: "He’s been tough for four years, every time out there. He ran a brilliant race. He took a shot at it."
*UO Runenrs Get Through Fine On Day 1 Including 4x1 And 800 Prelims www.registerguard.com
*For The Oregon Women, Second's Not An Option At NCAAs Brianne Theisen: "It's getting old. We would like to win."
*USATFCCCA NCCA Day 1 Full Event Recap
OTB/Cam Levins Mania:
*Chris Derrick: The Greatest Runner never to win an NCAA Championship
*Cam Levins is a gold medal threat in the London 10k
*Will Cam Levins eventually dethrone Dean Karnazes as "America's GreatestRunner"?
*Paris Hilton to Canadian Trials with Levins!
*Cam Levins just won the 10k, and he's gonna win the 5k
*Massive crowd at Drake Stadium!!
*Cameron Levins Is Better Than Galen Rupp At The Same Age
*Official NCAA 800 Meter Semi/Finals Thread
*Live updates NCAA 10k
RR: Jacki Dixon Won The First Ever All-Woman's Road Race In The US In 1972 At 17 Years Old She has an impressive life story, as back in 1984 she was told she only had 2 years to live, but she's alive today and celebrating the 40th anniversary of her historic victory.
- Steve Hooker Suffers Another Setback As He Could Only Clear 5.2m In His Latest Competition
- France: Zahra Bouras Wins 800 In 1:58.78 As Three Women Go Sub-2
- Doctor Warns Not To Expect Too Much From French TJer Teddy Tamgho In 2012 He's coming back from ankle surgery and has lost his sponsorship with Asics.
- Olympic 5k Silver Medallist Eliud Kipchoge, Geoffrey Kirui And Lucas Rotich Named To Represent Kenya In The 10k At African Champs (June 26-July 1) Based on their finish at the Kenyan Trials at Pre.
- Interview With Famous Aussie Coach Nic Bideau Includes a funny story on Henry Rono and an 800m runner who cut across the infield in a European championship.
- Japanese Olympic Trials: Middle And Long Distance Preview
*Sprints, Hurdles And Field Events Preview
- Desiree Davila Talks Olympic Marathon, Baseball, Whiskey USA Today
- Sam Chelanga, Kim Smith And Janet Bawcom Added To B.A.A. 10K On June 24
- US Athletes Mildred "Babe" Didriksen, Michael Johnson And Dan O'Brien Are Latest Entries Into IAAF HOF IAAF
- RW Q&A: Olympian Then And Now: Suzy Favor Hamilton
2012 NCAA Champs Previews *Results *Schedule *LRC Previews: Men *Women *Nice Charles Jock Feature
LRC NCAA Women's Preview Will Sheila Reid remain a legend or will Jordan Hasay re-emerge? Can Mark Wetmore coach two NCAA champions?
*Oregon Women Looking For 1st Title Since 1985 And 800 Performances By Three, Including Laura Roesler, Will Be Key "Laura Roesler was beating high school seniors as a 12-year-old, and running in the U.S. Olympic trials as a high school sophomore. Don't expect her to be overawed this week at the NCAA Track & Field Championships."
*Second's not an option at NCAA championships for Oregon women's track and field They've already 3-peated as runner-ups.
*Could The Kansas Women Be In The Hunt? They've never finished higher than 14th but are picked 3rd. *More On Kansas Picked #3
LRC Men's Preview: Will Justice Prevail And Will Chris Derrick, Charles Jock, Cam Levins & Donn Cabral Get The NCAA Titles They So Deserve? Chris Derrick is one of the greatest Americans to ever have laced it up at the collegiate level but he's never won an NCAA title. His last chance takes place Wed. night. Later, will Charles Jock, who has never won one either, realize his dream? Will Ivy Leaguers Kyle Merber and Donn Cabral realize theirs?
*Recommended Read: UCI's Jock driven to write perfect ending to incredible journey Jock's life story sounds like it was written by a movie director, but will he get the happy ending?
*RR #2 UTSA Long Jumper Tyler Williamson Saves Life Of 3-Year-Old Boy - Hops On Plane And Goes To Des Moines 12 Hours Later
US 5k Stars Of Past In News
- Recommended Read A Great Chat With Former American 5,000 Record Holder Bob Kennedy This is must-read for anyone under 30 who doesn't properly appreciate Kennedy. We'll almost certainly use this as QOTD for Wednesday but were so fired up by the Tyson Gay thing that we put that up so people would read a sprinting article. *Discuss: MB: Kennedy takes dig at Rupp?
- After Pre Disaster, Tegenkamp Starting To Realize His Best 5,000 Days Are Likely Past As "Old Man Bell Curve" Is Starting - Excited About 10k He's been unwilling to accept that 13:10-15 is likely all he can muster at this point in the 5k according to his coach. "Since turning professional I have not missed an "Outdoor US Team" and I can promise you I don't plan on that happening in an Olympic year. I know my fitness is great, I believe I have a lot of room to improve in the 10,000 and I am looking forward to the challenge! A new chapter is starting; 3:34.25, 7:34.98, 8:07.07, 12:58.56 may very well be set in stone but the 10,000. ... So much room for improvement. ... HERE WE GO!"
Excellent Read: Science Of Sport Breaks Down Comrades Marathon Like Only They Can Former 2:06 guy Gert Thys tried to break the course record by 20 minutes and ended up a DNF but that totally changed the race.
- Meb Keflezighi (1:03:11 ) & Kim Smith (1:08:37) Take RnR San Diego Half Titles Ryan Hall struggled finishing in 65:39. In the post-race interview, he sounded pretty down as he thought he could run 61 minutes, but still has plantar problems and now hamstring as well. *Results *MB: Meb 63:11, Hall 65:39, Smith 68:37
- Anthony Whiteman First Person Over 40 To Go Sub-4 Outdoors 3:58.79 *MB: Whiteman goes sub 4:00 at 40!!
- British Junior Sprinter And Soccer Player Adam Gemili Runs 10.08 Although he may miss the Games to focus on World Jr. Champs.
- Mary Cain Runs Sophomore Record 4:16.52, US #3 Time Ever
- Sally Pearson Wins 100m And 100 Hurdles At Low-Key Meet In Brisbane Before Heading To Europe
- Mamitu Daska Dominates 34th Annual Freihofer's Run For Women
- Ludwick Mamabolo Is First South African In 7 Years To Win Comrades Marathon Elena Nurgalieva secured her seventh victory in the women's race.
- UK's Jo Pavey Gets 10k "A" Standard With 2nd Place In European Cup 10,000 (31:32) *Turkey's Polat Kemboi Arikan (27:56) & Portugal's Sara Moreira (31:23) Won
- NZ Twin Zane Robertson Training At Altitude In Flagstaff Comparing his rented house in Flagstaff to his single-room cube in Kenya, he said, "It's a baller crib. Like MTV."
- Is Donegal The Iten Of Ireland? New Irish Jr. Record At 1:45.77 Just One Of Many Impressive Performances
- Former Cage Fighter Running 50 Marathons In 50 Days From Budapest To London For The Olympic Opening Ceremonies
- USATF Profile Top Athlete Couple Deirdre & Michael Mai
Diamond League Rome *Results
Rome: LRC Recap Of Rome 2012: Bolt Returns In Style, Men's Steeple WR Almost Goes Down, Dibaba & Jelimo Do Go Down In Defeat, And A Thrilling Women's 5,000 Usain Bolt returned to form with a world leader in the men's 100, but this race from a LetsRun.com perspective was led by the women's mid-d and distance action. There were two mid-d stunners on the women's side, as two heavy favorites in Pamela Jelimo and Genzebe Dibaba were soundly beaten as US world #1 Morgan Uceny impressed but was nowhere close to winning. The women's 5,000 produced a thrilling finish between Vivian Cheruiyot and Meseret Defar that reminded us of Haile G/Paul Tergat and Paul Kipsiele Koech nearly got the WR in the steeple. All of that and a whole lot more.
- More Post-Rome News: Bolt Says He's Focused On Winning, Not Times But then he mentioned becoming a "legend" by running "9.4 and 18 something," so which is it? Also mentioned a possible 400 at the end of the year.
- Who Needs Funding? UK's HJ Winner Robbie Grabarz Was Actually Cut From Funding 7 Months Ago Article also mentions Dwain Chambers ran in the non-Diamond League 4 x 100m where the UK was 2nd to Canada.
- UK Jav Thrower Goldie Sayers Happy With 3rd-Place Showing Really wants to medal in London after getting the dreaded 4th in Beijing.
Coming To America - June 9th
LRC David Rudisha Q&A: World Record Holder Is Excited To Be Coming To NY And Excited To Take On Challenge Of Being 1st 800 WR Man To Win Gold In 36 Years
A confident Rudisha spoke to the media on Tuesday morning and revealed himself to be a true student of the
sport, one who is familiar with the history of the sport, and one who
doesn't seem fazed by trying to be the first 800 world record holder to
win the Olympic 800 title since 1976. Considering Rudisha runs the
majority of his races in rabbitted time trials in Europe, we asked him
if he feared the championship style racing
is found at the Olympics and Rudisha sounded very confident when he said
he did not.
*AP On Rudisha
Sammy Wanjiru RIP: Nov 10, 1986 To May 15, 2011
- Wanjiru's "Recognized" Wife, Fellow Athletes, Former Coaches Painfully Remember The Fallen Hero "He always took care of his children and was always there to support them and make them happy."
- Wanjiru's Widow, Fellow Runners Mark His Death With Low-Key Ceremony In Nyahururu - Mother Conspicuously Absent
4 Really Great Recommended Reads *Also Look For A Great Wanjiru Article In Print Version Of The New Yorker
#1 - Journalism Still Exists: ESPN The Magazine's Shaun Assael Writes 5,122 Word Epic On Sammy Wanjiru's Life And Death From his start as a schoolboy to details as to why his mother claims he was murdered, Assael leaves no stone unturned.
points out that many other successful Kenyans before Wanjiru
have also struggled with fame, including Paul Kipkoech, Richard Chelimo and Benson Masya, who all died young. Sadly, Wanjiru was going to train in San Diego to get away from it all but couldn't because of a gun charge. *Interview Of Author On Right Column
#2 - 50 Stunning Olympic Moments No. 30: Zola Budd In 1984 Do most people remember Budd was just 17 when she set the WR in the 5,000 at 15:01 and when she collided with Mary Slaney? The article reveals that Budd's family disintegrated after she left South Africa to compete for GBR and it also reveals Mary Slaney to have been unbelievably rude to rip a 17-year-old. *Zola Budd - In Pictures
#3 - Wall St. Journal Profile Nails Abdi Abdirahman's Personality Perfectly!!! "Going for Gold - or Whatever The Secret to an Aging Olympian's Endurance: Don't Let Training Get in the Way of Fun" Is Abdi's love of life (ohers might say laziness) an asset?
#4 - What Really Happened At 1st Olympic Women's 800 In 1928? Despite what was reported, 5 of the 11 runners didn't drop out with another 5 collapsing at the finish. The only person collapsing at the finish that year was Paavo Nurmi, but women's mid-d and distance running would be banned for years nonetheless.
Non-London Marathon News
Meet Glenn Randall
LRC The Story Behind Glenn Randall (The Guy Who Led Boston) Who was that dude leading the first 10k of the Boston Marathon? Believe it or not, he's an NCAA champion (in another sport). LetsRun.com talks to the guy who made the first 10k of the marathon entertaining. His frontrunning was no stunt and has paid off big time in the past. This time it resulted in a 2:37:13 61st place finish.
Non-Adidas/NCAA Weekend Results
- Edna Kiplagat Wins NYRR Mini 10k In Dominant Style She won in 32:08 over Aheza Kiros (32:18). NYC Marathon champ Firehiwot
Dado was back in 5th as Desiree Davila was 11th (3rd American). *IAAF
*Top American (6th Overall) Stephanie Rothstein Happy With Result; Dedicates Race To Late Father
*A Brief Chat With Desiree Davila After Her 11th Place Finish In 33:38 At Saturday's NYRR Mini 10K
- Portland Results Ritz back-to-back 5k's in 13:19 and 13:58 as Aaron Braun misses the "A" by .25 in 13:20.25.
*MB: Dathan Ritzenhein Runs 2 5000m Races Within An Hour - Why ?
*Ritz Explains: "The plan was to get in the fast 5K and run relaxed and then concentrate on the last lap. Then come back and run 14 minutes as a workout."
- Japanese OTrials Day 3: Hitomi Niiya Wins 5,000 In 15:17
- Mr. Consistent: France's Renaud Lavillenie Wins Another PV Competiion With 5.82 Just 2 Days After Winning Oslo Steve Hooker went out before Renaud even came in.
- One We Missed: HJer Ivan Ukhov Clears World-Leading 2.37m In Opole, Poland
- Recap Of Day 2 Of Japanese Olympic Trials *Day 1
- IAAF Recap Of Kenyan World Junior Championships Trials
- Recap Of Day 1 Of Multi Event Challenge In Czech Republic
- 110 Hurdler Sergey Shubenko Highlights Italian Meet Winning In 13.21
- IAAF Recap Of Day 1 Of Ibero American Champs *Ibero-American Champs Day 2
ExxonMobil Bislett Games *Results *Yahoo Photos
Reigns, Ethiopian 5k Trials, Chemos Wins Historic Steeple, Kiprop Wins Dream Mile, And More The meet is in the books. Usain Bolt had to work hard to beat Asafa Powell. Dejen Gebremeskel won the 5,000m at the Ethiopian Trials and Kenenisa Bekele finished 5th. Milcah Chemos won a historic steeple while Aregawi showed she's best in the world at 1,500m and Morgan Uceny had no pop the last 100m. Javier Culson
and Sally Pearson had world leaders in the hurdles.
*Milcah Chemos Smashes African Steeplechase Record With 9:07.14 (#4 All-Time) www.capitalfm.co.ke
*Usain Bolt Unhappy About New Starting Blocks Which Are Being Used By Diamond League And Olympics We don't know a lot about this, but is an Olympic year the best time to be implementing new equipment?
*Usain Bolt Pushed All The Way By Asafa Powell
*UK: Both Jessica Ennis And Mark Lewis-Francis False Start
*IAAF Oslo Recap
*Oslo Race Videos
Oslo On The Boards: Bolt wins Oslo in 9.79, but....POWELL!!!
*Bekele ~13:00 with 55 last lap!
*17 Year Old From Qatar Runs 3:50 Mile? The Next ElG?
*Bolt nearly killed the flower-gal !!!
*Oslo Live Thread!
IAAF Celebrates 100th Anniversary In Times Square (Desi Davila And Tirunesh Dibaba On Hand, Article Here, Photo Gallery Below)
Week That Was
LRC Old Vs. Young, Bekele, Tegenkamp, Lagat, Montano And The 40-Year-Old Who Went Sub-4, Plus Much More A lot of our week in review centers around age. We look at some young stars, some older ones, and then debate how much they've got left. And in case you missed it, 40-year-old Anthony Whiteman went sub-4 this week. Plus we look at the American-born sub-13:00 5k runners (Kennedy, Ritz, Rupp, Solinsky, Teg) and see how Galen Rupp's sub-13 compares to their PR races.
Pre Day 2 Photos
Pre Day 1 Photos *Day 1 Recap Here *Day 2 Full Results *Day 2 Reaction
Usain Bolt 9.76 Over Asafa Powell (US Only)
The Great One Says Goodbye To The Track (Hengelo Photos)
Ostrava Photos (Usain Bolt 10.04)
The Wait Is Over
LRC LetsRun.com T-Shirt Design Contest The Empire State Building was built in a year, Hoover Dam took 5, so we figured 12 years is long enough for LetsRun.com T-Shirts. We pay homage to the 99%, and you let your LRC faithful come up with the design.
Oxy High Performance Photos *Men's Recap *Women's Recap *Results
Doha Photos Now Up
Big Story? Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist
Unbelievable: Convicted Drug Cheat Dennis Mitchell Coaching Justin Gatlin This isn't new news and has been the case all spring, we just didn't realize it. 6 years ago, little LRC pointed out Mitchell, the guy who claimed he tested positive because he had five beers and sex four times with his wife (maybe Dennis can give his advice here), an excuse USATF accepted, was coaching a USATF international team. USATF then tried to claim a different Dennis Mitchell, the University of Akron coach, was the actual coach. Mitchell is free to coach whomever he wants. You'd think Gatlin might be concerned about public perception.
UAE Healthy Kidney 10k Photos
Another Steeple Fail (Getting Picked Up By USA Today Blogger)
Bekoji, Ethiopia: Town Of Runners By now many of you have heard of Iten, Kenya - the tiny town where many Kenyan stars train. The Ethiopian town of Bekoji may be even more impressive,
it is where Kenenisa Bekele (3 Olympic golds), Tirunesh Dibaba (2 Olympic golds), Derartu Tulu (2 Olympic golds), and Fatuma Roba (1 Olympic gold) were all born. Lengthy Guardian profile on the town and its unheralded coach Sentayehu Eshetu. A movie on the town - "Town of Runners" - comes out later this month.
*Bekoji Photo Gallery