Samsung Diamond League ExxonMobil Bislett Games Are
Wednesday Thursday (We Got A Day Ahead Of Ourselves) *Bislett Start Lists (2pm ET) *2pm ET: Live Stream On Universal Sports ($$$)
LRC Oslo Preview: Bolt Vs. Powell, Morgan Uceny In Great Women's 1,500m, Bekele In 5,000m, Dream Mile And More Bolt vs. Powell at 100m will get all the attention. The women's 1,500m is absolutely stacked with
the top 4 in the world in 2012 (Ethiopian sensations Abeba Aregawai and Genzebe Dibaba, Helen Obiri, and USA World #1 in 2012 Morgan Uceny) all squaring off. Plus Kenenisa Bekele in his second 5k in four days, Asbel Kiprop in the Dream Mile and Sally Pearson in the hurdles.
*Oslo Press Conference: Bolt Says Sub-19.00 In 200 Is "Not Impossible"
*IAAF Oslo Preview
*World Champs 3rd Placer LJ van Zyl Pulls Out Of Oslo With Knee Injury
*MB: What An Amazing Men's 5000 Meters
*USA Today's 100 Athletes, 100 Days Looks At Morgan Uceny, Who Says She Used To Be Championship Goat Picker
*Phillips Idowu Pulls Out Of Oslo As A Precaution He got hurt on his 3rd jump in Eugene.
adidas Grand Prix In NY Is Saturday *adidas Start Lists
Meseret Defar Added To Field - Will Clash With Tirunesh Dibaba At 5,000 This is Defar's 1st 5,000 in NY since she set the WR in 2006 on the same track.
*HS Dream 100s And Dream Mile Fields Are Finalized Last year, Lukas V broke 4:00. Less than a year later, he was mentally crushed and out of the sport.
*MB: Robby Andrews Talks About Facing Rudisha
*Leg Swelling Causes Dayron Robles To Pull Out of NYC Coach: "It will not rule out his attendance at the London Olympics and he will compete again in late June in Europe
*Yohan Blake Talks About Beating Bolt And Getting His Record At The Adidas GP jamaica-gleaner.com We're all human at the starting line "I work twice as hard as everybody else. That's why they call me The Beast,
*Yohan Blake And Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce Headline Jamaican Athletes At NYC Adidas GP
*Q&A With Carmelita Jeter On NY, Pre, The OT, And The False Start Rule
*Oscar P Gets Publicity In NY Post - He Still Needs Olympic A Of 45.30
*Allyson Felix, Tianna Madison Join adidas Grand Prix 100m The 100-meter field that already included Carmelita Jeter, the reigning World Champion ranked #1 in the world for 2011, and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica, the 2008 Olympic gold medalist and 2009 World Champion.
*Tyson Gay To Make Opener In New York In B Heat
*Former Columbia Runner LBP Runs 2-Second PR - Qualifies For 800 With 1:46 Kudos to them for having direct qualifiers (scroll down). Results here. *Lalonde Gordon Runs 45.33 To Also Qualify
*Robby Andrews Runs 1:50.96 - Wins By A Ton
A Few Good Reads
- Recommended Read Meet Kenyan 10,000 Champion Wilson Kiprop Abandoned by his father and then effectively orphaned at the age of 15 when his mother passed, Kiprop had to raise his family and somehow start a running career. A GREAT story.
- Recommended Read: UCI's Jock driven to write perfect ending to incredible journey Jock's life story sounds like it was written by a movie director, but will he get the happy ending?
- Boss Of Company That Owns Puma Loves Usain Bolt Check out who the guy who owns it is. "Francois-Henri Pinault, the world's 77th richest man with an estimated £7.15bn fortune, husband of Hollywood actress Salma Hayek, father of supermodel Linda Evangelista's child, could easily be dismissed as an uber-rich playboy who has gone around the world collecting brands and beautiful women."
- Not a Joke: Athletics Canada To Include Athletes' Twitter Handles On Their Bibs
- UK Coach Charles van Commenee: It's Business Time (Olympics Are Approaching) A good read for sure. He's banned the Brits from attending the opening ceremony.
- Charles van Commenee: I'm Teaching The Brits The Words To God Save The Queen
- Seems Crazy: Australian Olympic Triathlon Champ Left Off Olympic Team She also was controversially left off the 2004 team and yet won World or Olympic titles in 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2008.
- Last Chance To Qualify For US Olympic Trials: American Miler Series Start June 6, 9, 13 And 16
- Running Into Wind, Dwain Chambers Misses Olympic Qualifying Time In France (10.48)
Pre Classic *Full Results *Saturday Recap *Friday Recap *Day 1 Photos *Day 2 Photos
LRC Day 2: Rupp Joins Sub-13 Club, Asbel Kiprop - Mr. Bowerman, Liu Xiang, SRR And Much More Mo Farah is still the top distance runner in the world and Galen Rupp was right there with him mixing it up like he belonged as he became the first American under 13:00 at Pre. Asbel Kiprop won the Bowerman Mile as Andrew Wheating got DFL. Kaki prevailed over Aman as Nick Symmonds and KD squared off again. Liu Xiang ran 12.87, Sanya Richards-Ross got a big win and much, much more. LRC analysis, results, race video and interviews.
- More On Men's 5,000m: Alberto Says Galen And Mo Are In 12:50 Shape Oregonian
- An encouraging day for Nick Symmonds, one to forget for Andrew Wheating Eugene Register-Guard
- Justin Gatlin: "I don't go out six days a week, train for five hours a day to get silver and bronze."
LRC Day 1: Wilson Kiprop Wins In USA, Alysia Montano Dominates, Tirunesh Dibaba And Alan Webb Want More, Alice Schdmit Upsets Jenny Simpson Arguably the greatest Pre Classic ever kicked off Hollister Night at Hayward. The Kenyan Olympic Trials - won by World Half Marathon champ Wilson Kiprop - were the headliner, but Alysia Montano tried to steal the show, Alice Schmidt upset Jenny Simpson, and Alan Webb and Matt Centrowitz ran the mile. Full recap, analysis, post race reaction.
*More: Renato Canova Talks About Alan Webb, Wilson Kiprop, And More *RRW Recap *Photos
*Moses Masai Says He Didn't Push Too Hard At The End
*BBC Article On How You Should Choose An Olympic Team "Ultimately selection is a compromise with no perfect solution."
*Oregonian Recap: Alysia Montano 1:57.37, Alice Schmidt Wins 1,500m Over Jenny Simpson, No One Gets "A" In International Mile
*MB: OFFICIAL THREAD PRE CLASSIC 06/01/12 (LIVE FEED)
LRC Kenenisa Bekele, Mo Farah, Bernard Lagat And Asbel Kiprop At The 2012 Prefontaine Press Conference Lagat gave advice as to what event Lomong and Torrence should run at the Trials, Farah talked about Rupp doing all the workouts with him, Bekele reveled whether he has enough time to get ready for the Olympics and Kiprop even praised Matt Centrowitz.
*LA Times Profile On Bernard Lagat
*Manager Jos Hermens Says Bekele Has Only "Just Started His Real Training" As His New Softer-Surfaced Track Was Finished 2 Weeks Ago
Hengelo Highlights Sunday *Results *Live Thread
LRC Haile G's Olympic Days Come To An End As Tariku Bekele Wins In 27:11.70 As Geb Gets Smoked On Last Lap,
Ritz Misses "A" Standard updated The Ethiopian selection race came down to a kick on the final lap and there was no way the 39-year-old Gebrselassie was going to outkick his younger rivals. Afterwards, Geb said, "That's life. I am not disappointed." Dathan Ritzenhein missed the "A" standard of 27:45 on a warm day (78 at the start). In other action, Nixon Chepseba won in 3:29.90, Nate Brannen got a PR and an "A"
standard, Janeth Jepkosgei ran
Hannah England won the 1,500, Adam Kszczot ran 1:43.84 for his second win in 2 days, and 18-year-old Luguelín Santos ran 44.45. *IAAF
*Post-Race Video Interview With Ritz He's not sure if he'll just run the 5k at the or go for the "A" in the 10k at the Trials. Says the heat was tough.
*Some More Quotes From Haile
*Pre-Race Video With Haile G With this race he became the fastest 39-year-old ever at 10k.
*SA 800m Runner Andre Olivier Hits Olympic Standard In Hengelo With 1:45.20
*Phillips Idowu Won The TJ In 17.31m
OTB: Live play by play of 10k thread
*Chepseba 3'29.90 !!!
*What will Ritz do now?
Toronto: Geoffrey Mutai (27:41), Lindsey Scherf Win Ottawa 10ks *Results
*Former Harvard Standout Lindsey Scherf Wins Women's Race
*IAAF Article Windy conditions and lack of competition or pacemaker hurt Mutai's time.
*Laban Moiben Defends Ottawa Marathon Title In 2:09:13 For the women, favorite Teyba Erkesso (2:23:53 PR) dropped out with sickness, leaving the victory to Yeshi Esayias in 2:28:46.
On The Boards: I just watched Mutai destroy the field in Ottawa
Canadian High Schooler Runs 1:47.14 To Beat Nick Willis
The Guy In The Fall
LRC The Collegiate Career Of Jake Hojnacki, The Guy In The Epic Steeple Fail, Comes To An End If you're like the other 516,654 people who have seen this video, you know Jake Hojnacki as a guy who took a dive into the steeple pit and pretty much almost drowned. Turns out Employee 1.1 is one of Jake's coaches. Jake's collegiate career came to an end this past weekend in notable fashion. We bring to you his story as runners like Jake represent the heart and soul of LetsRun.com.
Recommended Read: Two Years Ago, Joey Stoltz Almost Died And Today He Is A Marathoner "Less than two years ago, I was at the hospital and the doctors told me I wouldn't run again so those last two miles [of the marathon] were so emotional."
Samsung Diamond League Doha *Results *LRC Recap *MB: Discussion *IAAF Recap
Doha: LRC LetsRun.com's Recap Of Doha 2012: The Samsung Diamond League Starts Off In Style If all the meets this year are as good as this one, we're going to have an incredible Olympics. Asbel Kiprop went sub-3:30 for the first time ever and lost to Silas Kiplagat, a race was perfectly designed for Vivian Cheruiyot to lose and she won, Kenenisa Bekele looked average, Paul Koech tore up the steeple, and Pamela Jelimo may have a new challenger. American stalwarts LaShawn Merritt and Allyson Felix impressed, and Americans Russell Brown and Molly Beckwith did what they wanted in the distances.
Pro Distance News
Korir Running Chicago
LRC Wesley Korir: From #T248 To #1 At Chicago The first time Wesley ran Chicago (photo here), he paid his entry fee like everyone else and started with the masses. Now 4 years later he's returning as the Boston Marathon champ. Learn more about Wesley (he hopes to be a US citizen soon) and how the late Sammy Wanjiru inspired Wesley to be a champion.
2012 NCAA Champs Started Yesterday *Results *Schedule *LRC Photos *LRC Previews: Men *Women *Nice Charles Jock Feature
LRC Men's 10k Results: Cam Levins Wins, Sambu 2nd, Derrick 3rd Two seniors with amazing credentials really wanted this one but in the end only one could get his first NCAA title and it was no contest the final 200m. After Chris Derrick fell back on the bell lap, Cam Levins blasted the
last 150m and looked sensational in getting the win over Stephen Sambu.
LRC Rest of Day 1 Recap: 800m And Women's Steeple Prelim Recaps: Cas Loxsom Goes Home
*LRC Day 1 NCAA Photos
*Team Competition: All Goes Well For Oregon On Day 1
*For The Oregon Women, Second's Not An Option At NCAAs Brianne Theisen: "It's getting old. We would like to win."
OTB/Cam Levins Mania:
*Chris Derrick: The Greatest Runner never to win an NCAA Championship
*Cam Levins is a gold medal threat in the London 10k -
*Will Cam Levins eventually dethrone Dean Karnazes as "America's GreatestRunner"?
*Paris Hilton to Canadian Trials with Levins!
*Cam Levins just won the 10k, and he's gonna win the 5k
*Massive crowd at Drake Stadium!!
*Cameron Levins Is Better Than Galen Rupp At The Same Age
*Official NCAA 800 Meter Semi/Finals Thread
*Live updates NCAA 10k
RR: Jacki Dixon Won The First Ever All-Woman's Road Race In The US In 1972 At 17 Years Old She has an impressive life story, as back in 1984 she was told she only had 2 years to live, but she's alive today and celebrating the 40th anniversary of her historic victory.
- Steve Hooker Suffers Another Setback As He Could Only Clear 5.2m In His Latest Competition
- France: Zahra Bouras Wins 800 In 1:58.78 As Three Women Go Sub-2
- Doctor Warns Not To Expect Too Much From French TJer Teddy Tamgho In 2012 He's coming back from ankle surgery and has lost his sponsorship with Asics.
- Olympic 5k Silver Medallist Eliud Kipchoge, Geoffrey Kirui And Lucas Rotich Named To Represent Kenya In The 10k At African Champs (June 26-July 1) Based on their finish at the Kenyan Trials at Pre.
- Interview With Famous Aussie Coach Nic Bideau Includes a funny story on Henry Rono and an 800m runner who cut across the infield in a European championship.
- Japanese Olympic Trials: Middle And Long Distance Preview
*Sprints, Hurdles And Field Events Preview
- Desiree Davila Talks Olympic Marathon, Baseball, Whiskey USA Today
- Sam Chelanga, Kim Smith And Janet Bawcom Added To B.A.A. 10K On June 24
- US Athletes Mildred "Babe" Didriksen, Michael Johnson And Dan O'Brien Are Latest Entries Into IAAF HOF IAAF
- RW Q&A: Olympian Then And Now: Suzy Favor Hamilton
2012 NCAA Champs Previews *Results *Schedule *LRC Previews: Men *Women *Nice Charles Jock Feature
LRC NCAA Women's Preview Will Sheila Reid remain a legend or will Jordan Hasay re-emerge? Can Mark Wetmore coach two NCAA champions?
*Oregon Women Looking For 1st Title Since 1985 And 800 Performances By Three, Including Laura Roesler, Will Be Key "Laura Roesler was beating high school seniors as a 12-year-old, and running in the U.S. Olympic trials as a high school sophomore. Don't expect her to be overawed this week at the NCAA Track & Field Championships."
*Second's not an option at NCAA championships for Oregon women's track and field They've already 3-peated as runner-ups.
*Could The Kansas Women Be In The Hunt? They've never finished higher than 14th but are picked 3rd. *More On Kansas Picked #3
LRC Men's Preview: Will Justice Prevail And Will Chris Derrick, Charles Jock, Cam Levins & Donn Cabral Get The NCAA Titles They So Deserve? Chris Derrick is one of the greatest Americans to ever have laced it up at the collegiate level but he's never won an NCAA title. His last chance takes place Wed. night. Later, will Charles Jock, who has never won one either, realize his dream? Will Ivy Leaguers Kyle Merber and Donn Cabral realize theirs?
*Recommended Read: UCI's Jock driven to write perfect ending to incredible journey Jock's life story sounds like it was written by a movie director, but will he get the happy ending?
*RR #2 UTSA Long Jumper Tyler Williamson Saves Life Of 3-Year-Old Boy - Hops On Plane And Goes To Des Moines 12 Hours Later
US 5k Stars Of Past In News
- Recommended Read A Great Chat With Former American 5,000 Record Holder Bob Kennedy This is must-read for anyone under 30 who doesn't properly appreciate Kennedy. We'll almost certainly use this as QOTD for Wednesday but were so fired up by the Tyson Gay thing that we put that up so people would read a sprinting article. *Discuss: MB: Kennedy takes dig at Rupp?
- After Pre Disaster, Tegenkamp Starting To Realize His Best 5,000 Days Are Likely Past As "Old Man Bell Curve" Is Starting - Excited About 10k He's been unwilling to accept that 13:10-15 is likely all he can muster at this point in the 5k according to his coach. "Since turning professional I have not missed an "Outdoor US Team" and I can promise you I don't plan on that happening in an Olympic year. I know my fitness is great, I believe I have a lot of room to improve in the 10,000 and I am looking forward to the challenge! A new chapter is starting; 3:34.25, 7:34.98, 8:07.07, 12:58.56 may very well be set in stone but the 10,000. ... So much room for improvement. ... HERE WE GO!"
Excellent Read: Science Of Sport Breaks Down Comrades Marathon Like Only They Can Former 2:06 guy Gert Thys tried to break the course record by 20 minutes and ended up a DNF but that totally changed the race.
- Meb Keflezighi (1:03:11 ) & Kim Smith (1:08:37) Take RnR San Diego Half Titles Ryan Hall struggled finishing in 65:39. In the post-race interview, he sounded pretty down as he thought he could run 61 minutes, but still has plantar problems and now hamstring as well. *Results *MB: Meb 63:11, Hall 65:39, Smith 68:37
- Anthony Whiteman First Person Over 40 To Go Sub-4 Outdoors 3:58.79 *MB: Whiteman goes sub 4:00 at 40!!
- British Junior Sprinter And Soccer Player Adam Gemili Runs 10.08 Although he may miss the Games to focus on World Jr. Champs.
- Mary Cain Runs Sophomore Record 4:16.52, US #3 Time Ever
- Sally Pearson Wins 100m And 100 Hurdles At Low-Key Meet In Brisbane Before Heading To Europe
- Mamitu Daska Dominates 34th Annual Freihofer's Run For Women
- Ludwick Mamabolo Is First South African In 7 Years To Win Comrades Marathon Elena Nurgalieva secured her seventh victory in the women's race.
- UK's Jo Pavey Gets 10k "A" Standard With 2nd Place In European Cup 10,000 (31:32) *Turkey's Polat Kemboi Arikan (27:56) & Portugal's Sara Moreira (31:23) Won
- NZ Twin Zane Robertson Training At Altitude In Flagstaff Comparing his rented house in Flagstaff to his single-room cube in Kenya, he said, "It's a baller crib. Like MTV."
- Is Donegal The Iten Of Ireland? New Irish Jr. Record At 1:45.77 Just One Of Many Impressive Performances
- Former Cage Fighter Running 50 Marathons In 50 Days From Budapest To London For The Olympic Opening Ceremonies
- USATF Profile Top Athlete Couple Deirdre & Michael Mai
Diamond League Rome *Results
Rome: LRC Recap Of Rome 2012: Bolt Returns In Style, Men's Steeple WR Almost Goes Down, Dibaba & Jelimo Do Go Down In Defeat, And A Thrilling Women's 5,000 Usain Bolt returned to form with a world leader in the men's 100, but this race from a LetsRun.com perspective was led by the women's mid-d and distance action. There were two mid-d stunners on the women's side, as two heavy favorites in Pamela Jelimo and Genzebe Dibaba were soundly beaten as US world #1 Morgan Uceny impressed but was nowhere close to winning. The women's 5,000 produced a thrilling finish between Vivian Cheruiyot and Meseret Defar that reminded us of Haile G/Paul Tergat and Paul Kipsiele Koech nearly got the WR in the steeple. All of that and a whole lot more.
- More Post-Rome News: Bolt Says He's Focused On Winning, Not Times But then he mentioned becoming a "legend" by running "9.4 and 18 something," so which is it? Also mentioned a possible 400 at the end of the year.
- Who Needs Funding? UK's HJ Winner Robbie Grabarz Was Actually Cut From Funding 7 Months Ago Article also mentions Dwain Chambers ran in the non-Diamond League 4 x 100m where the UK was 2nd to Canada.
- UK Jav Thrower Goldie Sayers Happy With 3rd-Place Showing Really wants to medal in London after getting the dreaded 4th in Beijing.
Coming To America - June 9th
LRC David Rudisha Q&A: World Record Holder Is Excited To Be Coming To NY And Excited To Take On Challenge Of Being 1st 800 WR Man To Win Gold In 36 Years
A confident Rudisha spoke to the media on Tuesday morning and revealed himself to be a true student of the
sport, one who is familiar with the history of the sport, and one who
doesn't seem fazed by trying to be the first 800 world record holder to
win the Olympic 800 title since 1976. Considering Rudisha runs the
majority of his races in rabbitted time trials in Europe, we asked him
if he feared the championship style racing
is found at the Olympics and Rudisha sounded very confident when he said
he did not.
*AP On Rudisha
Sammy Wanjiru RIP: Nov 10, 1986 To May 15, 2011
- Wanjiru's "Recognized" Wife, Fellow Athletes, Former Coaches Painfully Remember The Fallen Hero "He always took care of his children and was always there to support them and make them happy."
- Wanjiru's Widow, Fellow Runners Mark His Death With Low-Key Ceremony In Nyahururu - Mother Conspicuously Absent
4 Really Great Recommended Reads *Also Look For A Great Wanjiru Article In Print Version Of The New Yorker
#1 - Journalism Still Exists: ESPN The Magazine's Shaun Assael Writes 5,122 Word Epic On Sammy Wanjiru's Life And Death From his start as a schoolboy to details as to why his mother claims he was murdered, Assael leaves no stone unturned.
points out that many other successful Kenyans before Wanjiru
have also struggled with fame, including Paul Kipkoech, Richard Chelimo and Benson Masya, who all died young. Sadly, Wanjiru was going to train in San Diego to get away from it all but couldn't because of a gun charge. *Interview Of Author On Right Column
#2 - 50 Stunning Olympic Moments No. 30: Zola Budd In 1984 Do most people remember Budd was just 17 when she set the WR in the 5,000 at 15:01 and when she collided with Mary Slaney? The article reveals that Budd's family disintegrated after she left South Africa to compete for GBR and it also reveals Mary Slaney to have been unbelievably rude to rip a 17-year-old. *Zola Budd - In Pictures
#3 - Wall St. Journal Profile Nails Abdi Abdirahman's Personality Perfectly!!! "Going for Gold - or Whatever The Secret to an Aging Olympian's Endurance: Don't Let Training Get in the Way of Fun" Is Abdi's love of life (ohers might say laziness) an asset?
#4 - What Really Happened At 1st Olympic Women's 800 In 1928? Despite what was reported, 5 of the 11 runners didn't drop out with another 5 collapsing at the finish. The only person collapsing at the finish that year was Paavo Nurmi, but women's mid-d and distance running would be banned for years nonetheless.
Non-London Marathon News
Meet Glenn Randall
LRC The Story Behind Glenn Randall (The Guy Who Led Boston) Who was that dude leading the first 10k of the Boston Marathon? Believe it or not, he's an NCAA champion (in another sport). LetsRun.com talks to the guy who made the first 10k of the marathon entertaining. His frontrunning was no stunt and has paid off big time in the past. This time it resulted in a 2:37:13 61st place finish.
Week That Was
LRC Old Vs. Young, Bekele, Tegenkamp, Lagat, Montano And The 40-Year-Old Who Went Sub-4, Plus Much More A lot of our week in review centers around age. We look at some young stars, some older ones, and then debate how much they've got left. And in case you missed it, 40-year-old Anthony Whiteman went sub-4 this week. Plus we look at the American-born sub-13:00 5k runners (Kennedy, Ritz, Rupp, Solinsky, Teg) and see how Galen Rupp's sub-13 compares to their PR races.
Pre Day 2 Photos
Pre Day 1 Photos *Day 1 Recap Here *Day 2 Full Results *Day 2 Reaction
Usain Bolt 9.76 Over Asafa Powell (US Only)
The Great One Says Goodbye To The Track (Hengelo Photos)
Ostrava Photos (Usain Bolt 10.04)
The Wait Is Over
LRC LetsRun.com T-Shirt Design Contest The Empire State Building was built in a year, Hoover Dam took 5, so we figured 12 years is long enough for LetsRun.com T-Shirts. We pay homage to the 99%, and you let your LRC faithful come up with the design.
Oxy High Performance Photos *Men's Recap *Women's Recap *Results
Doha Photos Now Up
Big Story? Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist
Unbelievable: Convicted Drug Cheat Dennis Mitchell Coaching Justin Gatlin This isn't new news and has been the case all spring, we just didn't realize it. 6 years ago, little LRC pointed out Mitchell, the guy who claimed he tested positive because he had five beers and sex four times with his wife (maybe Dennis can give his advice here), an excuse USATF accepted, was coaching a USATF international team. USATF then tried to claim a different Dennis Mitchell, the University of Akron coach, was the actual coach. Mitchell is free to coach whomever he wants. You'd think Gatlin might be concerned about public perception.
UAE Healthy Kidney 10k Photos
Another Steeple Fail (Getting Picked Up By USA Today Blogger)
Bekoji, Ethiopia: Town Of Runners By now many of you have heard of Iten, Kenya - the tiny town where many Kenyan stars train. The Ethiopian town of Bekoji may be even more impressive,
it is where Kenenisa Bekele (3 Olympic golds), Tirunesh Dibaba (2 Olympic golds), Derartu Tulu (2 Olympic golds), and Fatuma Roba (1 Olympic gold) were all born. Lengthy Guardian profile on the town and its unheralded coach Sentayehu Eshetu. A movie on the town - "Town of Runners" - comes out later this month.
*Bekoji Photo Gallery