LRC Exclusive LetsRun.com's (JK's) Official 2011 NCAA XC Regional XC Predictions LRC coaching guru John Kellogg, the man who basically predicted the 2:03 in Boston earlier this year, has come out of hibernation once again with his NCAA Regional predictions. Read them over, as we are asking for your help. We need your help in telling us if his predictions hold form who gets in at large. Discuss:
MB: LetsRun.com's (JK's) Official 2011 NCAA XC Regional XC Predictions And you can always give us your predictions in the LRC NCAA Fan Polls.
*Part 3 Of 4 Of Running Times Look At Oklahoma Christian's Quest For The 2011 NAIA National Championship
Bureaucratic News - Radcliffe's Record Stands
- IAAF: Paula Radcliffe's World Record Will Stand But So Will No Pacemaking Rule Meanwhile, the IAAF will do nothing to all of the doped world records. *AP Article On IAAF Rule
- USATF Paid Doug Logan $1.095 Million In Legal Settlement
- London & Doha Rule Out One Taking 2017 And One Taking 2019 We bet that's what happens anyway. London 2017 - Doha 2019.
- UK Athletics - They Will Win After They Got 99-Year Lease To Host Track Events In Olympic Stadium - Aren't Worried That Qatar Is Offering To Pay All PrizeMoney (£5m) Actually, LRC says let Qatar have it for $500 million in cash. Endow every event in the world championships with $10 million per event.
- Phil Hersh Gets Something Right: London, Not Sexist Doha, Should Get 2017 Bid Meanwhile, some wonder if Hersh's anti-Hall rants are related to Hall's faith.
- A Look At Where The Various Will Be Training In Britain Pre 2012 The US will be in Birmingham.
- NYC Marathon App Fails To Work As Promised & App Maker Says Too Many People Were Using It The app users now know how we feel when we try to watch most races online.
- Kiwis Expecting To Perform Well in 2012 - Australians Not So Much The Kiwis finished 5th in the famous medals per capita category in 2008.
- Masai Marathon Is Cancelled As Race Organizers Fail To Live Up To Their Promises
Big Drug News
- Will He Spill The Beans? Steve Mullings Skips Drug Hearing As He Fears For His Life In Jamaica *Pre-Hearing: Official Refuse To Re-Test His "B" Sample
- Pan AM LJ Gold Medallist Tests Positive Venezuelan LJer Victor Castillo tested positive for methylhexaneamine, which is found in energy drinks. Sympathy? Not so much. A 2-time offender - he may be banned for life.
- More Sprint News: All Of MVP Track Club Medallists, Including Asafa Powell Have Started Training For London 2012
*Humorous Piece: Lord Coe Cancels The Olympics "In theory I suppose the Olympics could carry on without me, but it was my idea so I'm not really OK with that."
*UK 800m Runner Jemma Simpson May Get Her Funding Back After Being Cut And Losing Her Appeal
*You'll Have To Get Out When We Want To Use Olympics Stadium, Athletics Chiefs Warn West Ham
Liza Hunter-Galvan Won't Compete In NZ Trials Even After Ruling Letting Those With Previous Drug Bans Compete "In a nutshell how do you chase a spot that isn't there? Whether the ban was lifted or not I realise that the biggest hurdle I face is not my age, desire, commitment, injuries, qualifying standard, financial burden, or [the] poor choice I made. Rather it lies in being accepted. I have no interest in going through another legal battle, they take a toll on your soul.'
2011 ING NYC Marathon *Men's Results *Women's Results *Viewing Info *Flash Yahoo Photos
LRC 2:05:06!!! Geoffrey Mutai Caps Year In Style An unbelievable year in men's marathoning had an appropriate finish, as the Kenyan man who had the most unbelievable of all years, Geoffrey Mutai, smashed the previous NYC Marathon record by a stunning 2:38 - that's two minutes and 38 seconds. If it wasn't the
greatest 2nd-greatest men's marathon performance
ever, you'll have to tell us what was. American Meb Keflezighi hung with the leaders for 20 miles after a blistering 63:16 1st half and ended up with a much-deserved PR. Mutai picked up $200,000 by winning, but the big financial winner was runner-up Emmanuel Mutai, who won $635,000 ($500,000 for the WMM title).
LRC Mary Keitany Beats Herself The women's race was full of gut-wrenching drama, as Mary Keitany went out in a crazy 67:56. The problem was she came back in 74:42, as unheralded Firehiwot Dado (Rome Marathon champ) got the win.
LRC Post Race Interviews: Meb And His Coach Bob Larsen Talks About His PR Despite Throwing Up Plus the winners Geoffrey Mutai, Firehiwot Dado, men's and women's top 3, Ed Moran, Molly Pritz, Lauren Fleshman and Bobby Curtis.
NYC On The Boards:
- Official New York Marathon Thread
- If That Wasn't The Greatest Marathon Ever Run, What Was
- How fast has New York M to be comparable to 2"03'38 ?
- How Bout Some Props to Meb Keflezighi
- NYC Mens preview - Brojos giving too much credit to Geoffrey Mutai
NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k *Results
LRC Chris Thompson, Sara Hall Win, Ritz Is 3rd (link fixed) Hall continued her fine fall campaign with the win in this race that serves as a huge NYRR recruiting tool. Most importantly for US distance fans, Dathan Ritzenhein did well and emerged from the race healthy (link fixed to story with Hall interview).
LRC Healthy Ritz Talks About Marathon Trials, His Track Ambititions And More After double foot surgery in March, a healthy Ritz ran what was likely his only race before the Olympic Marathon Trials in 10 weeks. He talked about his preparations for the Marathon Trials, his desire to run faster on the track, and showed he stil has a lot of fire: "The talent's still there. I'm still young. I'm 28 so hopefully I just keep getting better."
College XC News - 2 Great Articles
- Aspiring College Journalists, Read This Well-Written Article AZ Student Newspaper Profiles The Amazing Lawi Lalang, Who Gets Tons Of Praise From Coach Li Li, who knows a thing or two about Kenyan phenoms, as he coaches Bernard Lagat, says Lalang is truly special: "I have not seen someone in college running as well as he is and I've had a lot of Olympic-level athletes over the years. He's very exceptional, this one is for real."
- Indy Star: IU Men Ran Boldly In Trying To Beat Wisco - Hoping They Would They Crack - But In The End, The Hoosiers Cracked "I wish we could be the Big Ten champions," Helmer said. "I think we could have won all but one other conference championship in the country this weekend." The Hoosiers placed seven runners ahead of Wisconsin's sixth man. If scoring had been for seven instead of five, the Badgers' margin would have been 100-120. "They're not intimidating. They're just good," IU grad student Adrien Dannemiller said. "They're ranked No. 1 in the country for a reason."
SEC: Arkansas Men, Vanderbilt Women Win SECs Easily Eric Fernandez and Kristen Gillespie of Arkansas got the individual crowns.
Big 10s: Ignore The Rankings, We Have A Favorite For NCAAs Wisconsin Men Win 13th-Straight Big 10 Title In Dominant Fashion The Badgers made a mockery of the rest of the Big 10 by scoring 17 points vs. a talented Indiana team. *Results *MB: Big 10 Talk
*Michigan State Women Repeat In 3rd Closest Big 10 Meet In History 55 to 61 over Michigan. *Women's Results
PAC-12s: Wetmore Works His Magic As Colorado Sweeps *Results The PAC-12 is the new super XC conference. The CU men edged Stanford, and the women, who were only picked 4th coming in in the latest LRC polls (and 6th in the national coaches polls), pulled the upset.
*Colorado AD Is Particularly Thrilled As Colorado Had Won One Game In All Sports In PAC-12 Until The XC Titles "Just what the doctor ordered," according to the AD.
*Wetmore Gives His Teams A Grades For Their Showing - Refuses To Give Out A+ Since Colorado Isn't In The Ivy League & Doesn't Practice Grade Inflation "I would give it an A and an A and that's as high as I get. This isn't Harvard," Wetmore said.
*Katie Flood Surprise Winner At PAC-12s
*Stanford's Jason Dunn Disappointed A 5th Man Didn't Step Up
*Lananna On His Young Squad: "I thought the guys did a pretty good job."
On The Boards: PAC-12 Update Thread *Craig Lutz > Lukas Verzbicas *Bad day for Hasay?
Big 12s: German Fernandez And Oklahoma State Win Men's Crowns Iowa State Wins Womens
On The Boards: GERMAN FTMFW
Heps: Princeton Men, Cornell Women Win In The Snow! Congrats to friend of LRC Artie Smith for his first conference title. And if you want to see what can be done in terms of conference coverage with almost no budget, check out this link. *Heps XC On The Boards
Big East: Villanova Men Win Convincingly, Women Edge Providence (Results)
*Marcus O'Sullivan Impressed By Men's Win: "We had an unbeatable effort today."
ACC: Florida State Women Dominate, NC State Men Edge FSU Kendra Schaaf dominated on the women's side as Ryan Hill won on the men's. *ACCs On The Boards *Kendra Schaaf is back!
West Coast Conference: Portland Pilots Amazing 32-Year Conference Win Streak Is Snapped In Year 1 Of Legit Competition - BYU 25, Portland 32 More NCAA On The Boards: BYU vs. Portland Portland's 32-year conference XC streak came to an end.
Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results *Yahoo Photos
LRC Moses Mosop A Superstar, Liliya Shobukhova Becomes Second-Fastest Woman Ever Updated Moses Mosop dominated the final miles in Chicago after Wesley Korir tried to make it interesting. Russian Liliya Shobukhova ran 2:18:20 to become the second-fastest woman ever. American Ryan Hall ran 2:08:04 for 5th. Great for any other American marathoner, so-so for him.
LRC: Wesley Korir Impresses With 2:06:15 Second Place In Chicago The former Louisville Cardinal broke the race up with a surge at 30km. Afterwards, he revealed what he was trying to do.
Ryan Hall Says He Needs More Time At Sea Level To Work On Turnover RW
LRC Non-Quotes Of The Day From 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Hall talks about what 2:08 means, Canova talks about the world record.
LRC Quick Recap With Men's Splits: Moses Mosop Breaks Course Record At 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon, Shobukhova Runs 2:18:20
He Will Be Missed Adam Goucher Retires Goucher is having knee surgery on Friday and says his competitive racing career is over. We've always said that one way to judge whether a runner's
career was a good one or not is simple: Were They Good Enough That They Could Retire Or Just Quit? Goucher certainly is retiring, as he had an INCREDIBLE career - Foot Locker champ, NCAA champ indoors, NCAA champ outdoors
and NCAA champ in XC, USA champ in XC and track and an Olympian. Goucher is a runner at heart and we wouldn't rule out seeing him in the 2016 Marathon Trials.
*MB: Adam Goucher retires
Great News: Missing Alaska Anchorage Runner Found Alive 2.5 Days Later Marko Cheseto went missing at 7 pm on Sunday morning and was found at 3
am Wednesday with big time frostbite. No one is really sure what happened and he may lose his feet, but the great news is he's alive.
*MSBNC: Not Wearing Hat Or Gloves, Shoes Were Frozen To His Feet & All He Could Say Was "911" The report also says he was upset about his teammates' suicide but has near a 4.0 GPA.
*Student Newspaper *Coverage From Britain
Previous: Kenyan Athlete Feared Dead In Alaska
US Olympic Marathon Trials Are Approaching
- NBC To Broadcast 2012 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials
- 2008 US Olympian Blake Russell Speaks To Gary Cohen About Her Preparations For 2012 Trials She's on the comeback after childbirth in 2009.
- Incredible Story: Have You Ever Heard of Caroline White? We Doubt It, But She's As Fast As Lauren Fleshman At 26.2 The Air Force grad used to be a pole vaulter. She picked a marathon plan off the internet and ran 3:09. Her next race - 2:37 thanks to some help from ZAP Fitness.
- Shalane Flanagan Will Run Rock N Roll Half This Sunday In San Antonio Anyone besides us tired of the stars running races with zero competition?
- Phil Hersh Takes Another Shot At Ryan Hall Via Twitter Tweeted, "Ryan Hall, you're no Meb Keflizighi." *MB: Phil Hersh - Bashing Hall (Again)
- World Marathon Majors Making Fleshman Remove A Promo Tattoo
- WP: Could A Sub-2 Hour Marathon Happen Soon? Meb says yes. LetsRun.com says, "No way."
- Geoffrey Mutai Says He Writes All His Own Workouts; Patrick Makau Thinks Mutai Can Definitely Break His WR
- Quick Chat With Patrick Makau
- Lauren Fleshman's Blog: The NYC Marathon, Part 1
- Will 1-2 Finish In N.Y. Carry Firehiwot Dado And Buzunesh Deba To London Olympics?
London Vs. Doha Battle To Be Decided Friday In Monaco
- IAAF Meeting In Monaco Will Decide The Host Of The 2017 World Championships Athlete of the year announced Saturday.
*Season Highlights From Male AOY Finalists - Blake, Bolt, Rudisha
- IAAF Could Decide To Award Two World Champs For 2017 And 2019 Instead Of Choosing London would take 2017 and Doha 2019.
- London Plays The "We Let Our Women Compete" Card In Its Bid Against Doha Jodie Williams is part of presentation team in Monaco and UK promises to fund £250,000 program to increase number of female technical officials in athletics globally. On the other hand, Qatar has never selected a woman for its Olympic team.
- Claim That Cooling Technology Is Unsustainable Is A Setback For Doha Bid
- UK Says Track And Field Will Have At Least 99-Year Lease In Olympic Stadium
- Will Doha Buy The 2017 World Chamionships? They have offered a £5million
bribeinducement to pay the IAAF's entire bill for prize money.
- London Not Worried About Big Last-Ditch Cash Offer To The IAAF
- Carmelita Jeter, Vivian Cheruiyot, And Edwin Moses All Suport London
- Norway's Olympic Champ Jav Thrower Andreas Thorkildsen Supports Doha Says less risk of injury in the heat.
- World Champs Jesse Williams And Carmelita Jeter Win Jesse Owens Award
- 2014 World Junior Championships Will Likely Be Held At Hayward Field
- Max King Wins U.S. Trail Marathon Championships In 2:31 On Course With 9,200-Ft. Elevation Change
- XCNation National High School Team Rankings
*How does Fayeteville-Manlius do it?
- Brief Chat With 1992/1996 Olympic 100m Sprint Gold Medalist Gail Devers
NYC Coverage Continues *Video Highlights
- Recommended Read: Track & Field Superfan: "Five Things We Learned In New York" "This year, however, we've really seen what you can get out of a lack of pacemakers: interesting races. All the races on pancake-flat courses that use a 'flying V of pacesetters' end up being solo efforts against the clock. Great headlines, boring viewing. ... Competition, joy, pain, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. An outcome not determined until the very end. The reasons we compete and the reasons we watch competition. You can't have these with pacemakers."
- With Nothing To Prove, Meb Keflezighi Still Affirming His Greatness Meb says he doesn't like to "Tweet" about his training, but he has a training log that goes back to 1993.
- "Kenyan Athletes Rule The Roost In Big City Marathons" Kenyans have won 83 out of the 100 marathons this year and hold the top 24 positions in the world marathon rankings. Paul Tergat: "My fear is that Kenyans may be restricted in future marathon races as we have seen in the past."
- NYC Wraps Up With Monday Press Conference
- Emmanuel Mutai Takes Marathon Majors Titles And $500,000
- Athletics Kenya Has Difficult Decision Ahead Of Them To Pick Men's Olympic Marathon Team
- Story Behind The 1-2 Ethiopian Finish Of Firehiwot Dado And Buzunesh Deba And How They Originally Met 10 Years Ago
- Official NYC Marathon Mobile Spectator App Fails To Go The Distance
- NY Times Gives Play-By-Play Of Lauren Fleshman's Debut Marathon Experience
- Writer Shares His Experience As Bicycle Escort For Wheelchair Division Of NYC
- Yahoo Photos *NYRR Photo Gallery *NYRR Recap *Athletics Weekly Recap
- UK Government Spends Nearly £750k On Olympic Tickets
- "A Disgraceful UK Government Spending Public Money On Most Expensive Olympic Tickets" www.telegraph.co.uk
- Why Tracks Aren't Popular In Football Stadiums
- Now Official: Dr. The Honorable Ambassador Usain St. Leo Bolt OJ Usain Bolt was conferred with an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws by the University of West Indies.
Non-LRC Coverage Of New York
*Recommended Read: NY Times Recap: Geoffrey Mutai Wins New York Marathon With Course Record 7 years ago and unable to afford surgery needed for an injury, Mutai went to work as a lumberjack.
*Recommended Read #2: SI's David Epstein (A LRC Fan) Writes A Great Piece On The Evolution Of The Marathon Mary Keitany's coach says the reason is $$$imple: "In Kenya, if you don't go to the marathon, you remain a farmer. So talented athletes are coming right to the marathon without spending time in track."
*Rookie American Ed Moran Admits His 2:11 (10th Place) Was "Better Than I Hoped For"
*The NYT Takes A Look At The Elite Athletes' Pre-Race Heated Tent & Pre-Race Rituals
Women: *Kim Smith Is Happy & Disappointed With Her 5th-Place 2:25:46 Performance She was happy to run well in NY but disappointed to not finish in the top 3. "It was a much better run than I did in London when I set my PB where it is a very flat course.''
*Lauren Fleshman (2:37:23) Calls The Marathon "The Hardest Thing I've Ever Done"
*Recommended Read: Jere Longman Looks At Why Women's Marathoning Is So Far Behind Men's Nice quotes from Deena Kastor & Mark Wetmore.
*Brit Jo Pavey Boosts Olympic Chances With 9th-Place Finish She ran 2:28:42.
*Paula Radcliffe In New York To Cheer For Charity Is "Perversely Relaxed" As Olympics Near Radcliffe has just started training twice a day after having foot surgery.
Celebs: *Chilean Miner Pena Drop Out Of NYC Marathon
*Recap Of Celebrities Runs, Including Grete Waitz's Husband, Who Ran 3 Hours, 50 Minutes, 41 Seconds
Non-New York News
- James Kwambai Runs 2:08:50 To Win In Rainy Seoul The former 2:04:27 guy was running his first marathon of 2011.
- Tons Of High School State XC Meets Took Place Over The Weekend
- Prime Minister (And All Elected Officials) Are Banned From Participating In Olympic Torch Relay By IOC Rules
- In Addition To Selling Dodgers, Frank McCourt May Sell LA Marathon Expected price < $20 million.
*Yohan Blake, Usain Bolt, David Rudisha Finalists For Athlete Of The Year Valerie Adams, Vivian Cheruiyot, Sally Pearson are the women finalists.
*IAAF President Lamine Diack Still Under Investigation By IOC For Allegedly Taking Bribe Report release to come in December.
- RIP Former Oregon Runner, Rhiannon Glenn Hull Hull drowned last week in Costa Rica while swimming at the beach with her youngest son. She was able to hand her son to a nearby teenager before being pulled under.
- HS Cross-Country Runner Dedicates County Championship Win To His Mother, Who Has Terminal Cancer
- Sam Chelanga Joins The OTC
- Ed Cheserek Running Foot Locker, Futsum Zeinasellassie's Running NXN And Foot Locker
2017 World Champs
*Seb Coe Pushes Bid For 2017 World Champs "If you'd said to me five or six years ago that I would be involved in another bid, I would have responded I think you might need to put me in a white coat and sit me quietly in a corner of a room."
*London's 2017 Bid "in really good shape."
*European Athlete Of The Year Mariya Savinova And Two Other Russian World Champs Medalists Support London's 2017 Bid
Frankfurt *Larger Image Of Kipsang At Finish
Frankfurt: Oh-So-Close: 2:03:42 - Wilson Kipsang's World Record Assault Comes Up Just Short IAAF The world of marathoning continues to be simply amazing
on the men's side.
*AP Recap Levy Matebo was second (2:05:16) and Albert Matebor third (2:05:25) as the women's CR was broken by Mamitu Daska (2:21:59).
Pre-Race: Last Year's 2:04:57 Course Record Holder Wilson Kipsang Says World Record Can Fall At Sunday's BMW Frankfurt Marathon Kipsang may be getting a bit ahead of himself, but he's very good. More on Kipsang here.
Trying To Inspire The Next Generation
Monday's Quote Of The Day: "Who did I beat? I beat the demons within me." - Billy Mills in a Washington Post profile. Good read.
Gary Reed Hopes To Bring Track Back To Life "I don't know that a lot of people want to admit that, but I know it's dying. The next generation is really struggling. The numbers from junior to senior are falling off like crazy and I, as someone who got my whole life from track, would love to leave the sport better off than what I found it."