adidas Wisconsin XC *Men's Results *Women's Results *More NCAA Results
Men: Lawi Lalang Dominates, Wisco Men Win, Verzbicas 62nd In His Debut (Results) This meet replaced pre-Nats as the place to be this year before next month's NCAA meet. Lawi Lalang, the brother of Kenyan star Boaz, who only started running last year, dominated. Lukas Verzbicas faded badly to 62nd in his first collegiate XC meet, as Texas freshman Craig Lutz was 15th.
*Wisco Men Run "Pretty Much Perfect" - So Good Their Coach Mick Byrne Was Stunned "I was surprised. At about 3 kilometers it looked like the team race was over."
*James Li Impressed By Lawi Lalang's Dominence "Lawi showed he's in a class of his own today. I don't think tactically he was the most sound, he's just so much stronger than everybody else."
*Providence Men Surprise As #1 Big East Team
*Lukas V: "Very rough opening race, have some rethinking to do. Time to move on and get fit for the rest of the season."
*Did You Know? Lukas Verzbicas' Stepdad Is Head Coach At USA Triathlon's New Elite Academy
Chaos On The Women's Side: Sheila Reid Gets Best Of Jordan Hasay, Washington And Unranked Vanderbilt Women Surprise (Results) Reid beating Hasay is not a surprise, but Washington winning and unranked Vanderbilt being #2 was a shocker, especially with #1 Villanova in the field.
*Oregonian: Jordan Hasay Nipped By Sheila Reid In Hasay's 1st Race Of Year
*'Nova Website Calls Reid's Win "Dominant"
*Unranked Vandy Women Finish 2nd By Running "Close To A Perfect Race"
Oregon: Register Guard: Coach Powell: "Obviously, both teams have some things to work on before the conference meet."
Video Interviews: Sheila Reid *Lawi Lalang
MB Talk *OFFICIAL Wisconsin Invite Thread
*LAWI LALANG RUNS 50 MPW?!
*Hasay/Reid dual.... + Vandy women!!!
*LUKAS last 3k = 9:29.4, LUTZ last 3k = 8:42.7
*LUCAS V DOMINATES WITH A 62ND PLACE FINISH!
*UCLA Women? WTF? 43rd out of 44 didn't impress the LRC audience.
*Is Nat Champs Ok State vs. Wisconsin, or am I missing something?
*Feb 27: Prediction: Lawi Lalang wins an NCAA title this year
G.M. Pulls Ad Suggesting Cyclists Can't Get Girls Imagine the outrage if this was done for Cross-Country.
Big $100,000 Payday For New B.A.A. Distance Medley Now the BAA's 5k, 10k and Half Marathon races are a series with an overall male and female prize of $100,000 each. Rather than a points system, it will be awarded to the finisher with the lowest overall combined time from all three races.
NYC Marathon Is November 6th
- Brief Chat With Mary Keitany On the subject of women's WRs, she said she wasn't sure if Paula's 2:15 should be the WR, but said, "I do think is that to have a male pacemaker running in front of you makes a huge difference when you are looking to run that fast. You cannot get a woman to pace like that."
- "Kim Smith Looks Strong Ahead Of NYC Marathon"
- Hockey Hall Of Famer Mark Messier To Run NYC Marathon
- IAAF Preview Toronto Marathon: 3-Time Defending Champ Kenneth Mungara Leads Field Mungrara ran 2:07 to win last year and is up against a couple of 2:08 Kenyans. This race also serves as the qualifier for the Canadian Olympic team. The IAAF standard is 2:15, but Athletics Canada says it wants its qualifiers under 2:11:29.
- Toronto Marathon Runner Hopes To Set WR As Only Person Over 100 Years Old To Finish A Marathon
- Irish "Dracula Cloak" Race Offers €500 To The Winner, But They Have To Be Wearing A Cloak
- IAAF Preview Istanbul Marathon: CR Holder Vincent Kiplagat Leads A Slew Of 2:08-2:10 Runners
Marathon Olympic Trials Are January 14th; Track Starts June 21st
- Event Timetables Announced For 2012 US Olympic Trials The 10,000/5,000 double is very easy to do, as is the 800/1,500. Barringer fans, the 1,500/steeple isn't really possible.
*OTs Begin June 21 On The Nike Campus With The Hammer Throw
- Ryan Hall Will NOT Be Asking Training Advice From The LetsRun.com Message Boards Go to about 4:40 into this video.
- Brett Gotcher Is "Gathering Momentum" As Marathon Training Begins
Chicago Marathon Mom Generating Headlines
Writer Reflects On Having To Interview Chicago Marathon Mom "What prompted her to run a marathon at nearly 39 weeks pregnant? Speculation was rampant, but to me, it seemed like Miller ran because that's what she does. She runs. This was neither her first pregnancy, her first marathon, nor her first pregnant marathon.
As a local physician told me later that day, 'I don't think she's crazy ... it sounds like she's an elite athlete to be able to run that many miles
this late in pregnancy.'"
*Time Magazine Investigates: Is It A Bad Idea To Run A Marathon While Pregnant?
*MB: Amazing--woman gives birth after completing Chicago Marathon?!?
Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results *Yahoo Photos
LRC Moses Mosop A Superstar, Liliya Shobukhova Becomes Second-Fastest Woman Ever Updated Moses Mosop dominated the final miles in Chicago after Wesley Korir tried to make it interesting. Russian Liliya Shobukhova ran 2:18:20 to become the second-fastest woman ever. American Ryan Hall ran 2:08:04 for 5th. Great for any other American marathoner, so-so for him.
LRC: Wesley Korir Impresses With 2:06:15 Second Place In Chicago The former Louisville Cardinal broke the race up with a surge at 30km. Afterwards, he revealed what he was trying to do.
Ryan Hall Says He Needs More Time At Sea Level To Work On Turnover RW
LRC Non Quotes Of The Day From 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Hall talks about what 2:08 means, Canova talks about the world record.
LRC Quick Recap With Men's Splits: Moses Mosop Breaks Course Record At 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon, Shobukhova Runs 2:18:20
Chicago On The Boards: *Live Feed And "Official" Thread
*At mile 16 Moses and crew will throw 3 back to back 4:25 miles, what should Ryan Hall do about it?
*Ryan Hall Disappointing
*Credit to Wesley Korir ... 2nd in a big PR
*Ryan Hall Excuses
Get Caught Up On The Running World
LRC Weeks In Review: Catch-Up: 2011 Worlds, Makau's World Record, And A Look Ahead To London 2012 Our post-Daegu time change fatigue is a thing of the past and after 6+ weeks away, the famed LetsRun.com Week in Review makes a comeback as we provide some insight on the key action from the 2011 World Champs as well as the new men's marathon world record. Plus we tell US Olympic hopefuls to be thankful they don't live in Kenya and then we look ahead towards London 2012.
Post-Berlin News *Race Video *LRC Photo Gallery
Mr. World Record: *Patrick Makau Had Worked On His Tactics On His Way To World Record IAAF.org
*Paul Tergat Congratulates Patrick Makau On Bringing World Marathon Record Back To Kenya
*Despite Death Of Sammy Wanjiru, Kenyan Olympic Team To Be Stacked
BMW Berlin Marathon *Race Video *LRC Photo Gallery *Yahoo Photos
Patrick Makau Smashes Marathon World Record, 2:03:38!!! Florence Kiplagat got the win on the women's side, Haile Geb dropped out when Makau took off, and Paula ran 2:23 in 3rd to book her ticket to London.
*IAAF: Patrick Makau Talks About His "Zig-Zag" Tactics Which Knocked Geb Out Of The Race "It is one of my tactics. I did some zig-zags, to confuse him. I had a lot of energy, and wanted to tire him. He was trying to use me, to maintain the pace, and I wanted to run alone, either behind him or to the side."
David Rudisha Loses *Race Video
In Rainy & Windy Conditions, David Rudisha Loses For 1st Time Since 2009 Worlds The weather
was similar the last time Rudisha lost in Berlin in 2009 and Rudisha said he had trouble warming up. Ethiopian teen sensation Mohamed Aman got the win 1:43.50 to Rudisha's 1:43.57.
*AW: Rudisha's 34-meet winning streak is broken by a 17-year-old
*LRC MB: Aman has beaten Rudisha
Post-Brussels News *Rupp 10k Video
Recommended Read: Rupp & Salazar Reflect On Galen's Historic Run Galen's mindset and focus on improvement is 100% spot on. The article is a great read and full of interesting quotes, including this one from Salazar, who
thinks the heat hurt Galen in Daegu: "Galen is not a big guy, he's still big compared to a Kenyan or an Ethiopian. It's a disadvantage if you are a Caucasian running in the heat versus an African, you just have more body mass and it's going to be harder."
*LRC MB: Discussion Of Rupp Article
*Writer Admits He Mistakenly Doubted Bekele: "Never again will I doubt Bekele's ability to do amazing things on the track."
2011 Diamond League Is Over *Results
LRC 2011 Brussels Recap: Usain Bolt Runs World Leader But Gets Overshadowed By His Training Partner Yohan Blake's 19.26!! (link fixed) In terms of sprint action, Yohan Blake and Usain Bolt may have done the fans a disservice by ducking each other, but at least they put on quite a show as Usain Bolt put up
a world leader in the men's 100
before Yohan Blake stole the show by running 19.26. *IAAF Recap: Blake Upstages The World
LRC Morgan Uceny Emphatically Shows She's The Best In The World The American who suffered a heartbreaking fall at the World Championships destroyed the field over the final 400 to win the Diamond League title in a world-leading 4:00.06 as she got her third DL victory on the year. World champ Jenny Barringer Simpson was way back in 13th.
*LRC MB Chatter: Pic of the Day, Uceny, really?
*Uceny just proved
LRC Galen Rupp Shatters The American 10,000 Record By Running 26:48.00 Galen Rupp crushed the American record and became the 16th-fastest man in history, as Kenenisa Bekele won in a world-leading 26:43.16.
*LRC MB Chatter: CALLING IT RIGHT NOW, RUPP WILL RUN A 2:03 MARATHON
*Dear Galen Rupp: Time to Move up to the Marathon
*Remember when 13:26.6 and 13:23.4 would have ranked you in the top 5 in the US? Now they're 10k splits
*Galen Rupp's 10000m Is Not Superior To Chris Solinsky's
*Official Brussels 10k live update thread
Olympian Amy Yoder Begley & Alberto Salazar Part Ways "She has had a lot injuries, and it's been frustrating for her and for me," Salazar said. "She wanted to try something new. I support her."
MB: Yoder-Begeley Leaves Salazar Too?
Pan Am Games Opening Ceremonies Impress LRC Visitors
*Impressed Associted Press As Well
Pre-Opening: ESPN Sneak Peek
USATF Mega Typo: ESPN Des Portes (In Reality, It's ESPN Deportes) To Broadcast Pan Am Games The track stuff goes Oct. 23-30.
- Recommended Read British Columnist: Dwain Chambers Really Does Epitomise The Olympic Games Spirit
- Columnist Asks - Who Was Best Cram, Coe Or Overtt? His Answer ... He gives up after 2,500+ words and says John Walker was better than all 3.
- Jessican Ennis To Skip Next June's European Champs We will repeat again - having Europeans two months before the Olympics - is one of the dumbest ideas in history.
- Surprise, Surprise - Europe Backs London 2017 WC Bid
Interesting Analysis On The Mind Of Ryan Hall Talks a little about the Hall-Hersh interaction and says, "We journalists live in a narrower, darker place than Hall. We are trained to be skeptical and hyper-objective. To sniff out details, and to question shallow answers. In cases of national security, such questions can change history."
Paula Speaks, And Other UK News
- Paula Radcliffe Makes Some Headway In Her Meeting With IAAF Pres. Lamine Diack Radcliffe felt Diack was "understanding" in their meeting and the matter is now under consideration. But there is no chance the rule could be changed until the next congress in 2013.
- Paula Radcliffe Says BOA's Olympic Lifetime Ban Is Unfair On Dwain Chambers
*UK Writer Moved By Dwain Chambers Refusal To Quit, Says He Deserves A Second Chance "Not everyone loves their sport enough to reach its average retirement age even with untold millions on offer. When a man is willing to endure ridicule, disdain and guaranteed failure purely for the joy of taking part, is it too much to expect that he be given ... a second chance."
- Embarrassing: Blatant Marathon Course Cutter Still Claiming Innocence "I categorically deny this accusation. I ran the whole race. I have been in touch with the organisers saying I have proof that I ran the complete course. I was wearing my Garmin and that covers every stride I ran."
- European Athletics President Hansjörg Wirz Supports London 2017 WCs Bid Showing complete non-bias, he said, "Europe is the centre of the athletics world ... We must avoid a situation where the World Championships is held outside of Europe three times in four editions."
Haile G Will Give It Another Go Oct. 23rd
Recommended Read: Profile On Stephen Machooka, Who Was The First Kenyan Distance Runner To Compete As A US Collegiate He won the Ivy League (Heptagonal) Championship for Cornell in 1961, setting a CR at VCP and becoming the first black All-Ivy XC runner.
Words From The UK:
*Recommended Read: Decathlete Daley Thompson Doesn't Have His Medals, He Has His Memories "I'm obsessive," he declares. "I want to know the answer to how good I am. Most people aren't. They kid themselves, 'If only I had done this or that.' I don't give myself that luxury. I do it and whatever the answer is, it is."
*Kelly Holmes Has Little Sympathy For Usain Bolt And His Issues With The False Start Rule She gives another perspective about the disruption to the meet schedule caused by multiple false starts in the 100m. While a major reason the rule was changed had to do with television broadcasting, she talks about how it affected the athletes who were racing after the 100 and had to time their warmup correctly.
NCAA Cross-Country Starts To Heat Up This Week - Conference Is In Two Weeks
- BYU's Miles Batty Is Undefeated On The Year But Focused On Peaking At NCAAs - Not Wisco Batty: "Last year I came into nationals feeling pretty worn down, on the down side of the peak."
- Running Times Looks At PattiSue Plumer's Return To Stanford "I love coaching - at any level," says Plumer, who only runs occasionally. "I would have stayed at the coaching job I had, because I loved that. This was probably the only job that could have made me leave that one."
- IU Paper Tries To Figure Out What Mindset Makes An Elite Distance Runner Andy Bayer: "You've got to be tough. No matter how talented you are, when you're running 10,000 meters, it's not going to feel good." Helmer: "You have to love to compete. Obviously, you have to be talented. You have to train at a very high level, but none of that matters if you don't have the ability to go into those high-pressure situations and be able to enjoy that challenge."
- MB: OFFICIAL Wisconsin Invite Thread
Occupy Wall Street Movement
68 Olympic Hero John Carlos Joins Occupy Wall Street
*NY Times Profiles Carlos Carlos: "I didn't like the way the world was, and I believe that there need to be some changes about the way the world is." Carlos also takes time to totally dismiss Usain Bolt.
*MB: John Carlos thinks that Bolt is on drugs.
*Will Protesters Occupy Portland Marathon?
Pan Am Games Start Later This Week - The Americas' Version Of The Commonwealth Games
- $28 Million 8,500-Person Stadium Gets Certified By IAAF Just Days Before Opening Ceremony
- Camille Herron Will Run Pan Am Games Marathon & New York City Marathon Within 2 Weeks Of Each Other Did you know her husband is former OU runner Conor Holt?
*And People Wonder Why Their Taxes Are So High Herron & Holt Have Been Trying To Stop Govt. From Wasting Tens Of Thousands of $$ To Pave Popular Running Trail In OKC Everything in OKC is already paved and yet the city insists a popular two-mile dirt trail needs to be paved to make it ADA compliant.
More Action From Over The Weekend
- Monday: Janet Cherobon-Bawcom Wins Tufts US 10k Title To Complete Boston Double *Results (results only) Molly Huddle did not run. A day after running 1:11:58 to win the BAA half, Janet ran 32:47 to win here easily and pick up $11,450. She won $5,000 on Sunday. Not
a bad weekend.
More Weekend Action:
Ivy LeagueUniversity Select Team Finishes 8th In Izumo Ekiden Thanks To Monster Run By Jon Grey The annual Ivy League pilgrimage to Japan was on the verge of cancellation without a top 10 finish. So what did the smart boys do? Just like on Wall Street - where they often hire some quants - they got others to do the heavy hitting for them as they incorporated a bunch of ringers. Thanks to Jon Grey and Christo Landry, they finished in the top 10 for the first time ever.
- Tesfaye Sendeku Running For Wounded Warrior Program Wins Army Ten Miler Over Robert Cheseret
- Weekend Recap From Italy - Martin Lel's Younger Brother Runs 2:09:27 For 2nd As Edwin Soi Wins 10km
Uh-Oh Ryan Gregson Has Another Stress Reaction In His Navicular When he first got the navicular problem last year, we were worried, as often they require surgery.
John Walsh aka "Hadd" Has Died Hadd, only 56, died while on a run. John (we did not learn his real name until he died) was a huge contributor on the LRC message boards, sharing his tremendous training knowledge for years under the moniker "Hadd." His most famous thread was perhaps "2
kinds of runners. Which are you?" with Portuguese coach Antonio Cabral. Hadd also was the Malta Marathon founder, a husband and great friend to many. While Hadd avoided the limelight, his training knowledge was immense, and he influenced thousands of LRC readers. Our thoughts and prayers go to his wife and friends.
More: Heart Attack The Official Cause Of Hadd's Death Times of Malta
*Malta Marathon Director Remembers John (Hadd) Walsh
*Famous Hadd Thread: 2 kinds of runners. Which are you?
*Pay Your Respects To Hadd In This Thread
26:48.00 - If You Didn't See Highlights, Click Here
LRC Galen Rupp Talks After Setting The 10,000 American Record Of 26:48.00 In the midst of enjoying a much-deserved two-week break from running, Rupp talked about his successful 2011 season but was already focused on doing one thing for 2012 - getting better. Rupp is full of praise for Salazar and Farah, is looking forward to his marathon debut and has some bad news for prospective American Olympic 5,000 hopefuls.
Remembrances Pour In - 10 Years Ago Almost The Entire Men's XC Team At Wyoming Was Killed By A Drunk Driver
- RR #1: Parents & Ex-Teammates Remember In Wyoming Paper Anyone who has ever lost a child will be incredibly moved by these articles, as the parents say every day is still incredibly painful.
- RR #2: Denver Post Wyoming Article
- AP Recap: Drunk Driving Laws Have Gotten Much Stricter
New York Gets Some Studs
Emmanuel Mutai And Martin Lel Rematch In NYC! Emmanuel Mutai and Martin Lel put on a marathoning clinic at this spring's Virgin London Marathon. Mutai ran 2:01 pace for the 4th 10k of the race, what we called "unofficially the greatest fourth 10km stretch ever run in the history of the marathon" to destroy the London field. Lel, once the world's greatest marathoner, came back to the sport and surprised even himself by finishing second. They'll get a rematch in NY with 2-time World Champ Jaouad Gharib, plus the previously-announced Gebre2 and Meb. Britain's Jo Pavey is joining the women's field.
3 Recommended Reads
- RR #1 Now That His Father Has Died, Olympic Champ Frank Shorter Reveals His Dad, Who Was Revered As The Town Doctor, Was A Violent & Sexual Sociopath Beatings of Frank were bad enough, but the rapes of at least two of his sisters were even worse. Sick.
- Are You Struggling In College? Read This:
RR #2 Ryan Hall Looks Back At His Stanford Career Hall admits he thought his teammates were lazy when he got there and reminds us that he really struggled in college and never made NCAAs in track until his senior year - when he won them.
- RR #3 Shot Putter Adam Nelson Talks In Great Detail About How Hard It Is To Make It As A Pro Thrower In The US If he got 4th at every Diamond League meet, he'd only earn $21,000. Maybe LRC should sponsor him.
- We Are "Very Supportive Of Tougher Penalties" On Drugs Cheats, Claims USOC Chief Says that the issue with LeShawn Merritt was never an attack on the IOC.
- Athletes At Pan-Am Games Warned To Watch What They Eat/Drink Because Could Accidentally Ingest Steroids
- WADA Director Says Lifetime Bans Not Enforceable
- Australia Records Huge Spike In Doping Cases Possibly caused by stimulant contained in many energy drinks.
Training Corner (More In The Training Forum)
- Anyone else run hard workouts in the very-early morning?
- Stitches, breathing, and racing
- Anyone ever made a comeback after something serious (cancer)?
- I lost the spark between me and running
- How to develop speed endurance
- Good Read: Blog From Scott Overall About His Transition From Track To Marathon And His 2:10:55 Debut At Berlin
- Radcliffe Shifts Olympic Training To The High Altitude Of Iten
*Paula Radcliffe 6-1 To Win London 2012 Marathon Gold
- World Champ Mo Farah Named European Athletes Of The Year Mariya Savinova was chosen for the women.
Usain Bolt Races Jimmy Kimmel
BMW Berlin Marathon Photos! Makau Takes Geb's World Record
Galen Rupp 26:48!!!
Usain Bolt And Jamaica Get World Record (International Visitors Click Here, Post-Race Press Conf. Here)
Simpson Gets Gold (International Visitors Click Here)
Ezekiel Kemboi Wins And Has The Greatest Celebration Ever (International Visitors Click Here)
Men's 800 Final (International Visitors Click Here, Post-Race Interviews Here)
A Scintillating Men's 10,000 Finish (US Visitors Only)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Universal Sports Back To Top