Today In Zagreb
*IAAF World Challenge In Zagreb Usain Bolt up against Worlds bronze medallist Kim Collins, Trinidad & Tobago NR holder Richard Thompson and Justin Gatlin In 100m. Sally Pearon in 100m hurdles and grudge match in 110 hurdles with World champ Jason Richardson vs. WR holder
Dayron Robles. Blanka Vlasic against Russian Anna Chicherova who beat her to Daegu gold in HJ. LeShawn Meritt in the 400m, US's Maggie Vessey leads women's 800 field. men’s and DL winner Nixon Chepseba should dominate the 1500m, After not medalling at Worlds American shot putters Christian Cantwell, Reese Hoffa and Ryan Whiting up against. Daegu silver medallist Dylan Armstrong.
*Bolt Seeks 100m redemption In Zagreb
US Distance Fans Rejoice *Entry List
Friday In Brussels:
Rupp Vs. Africans - Brussels 10,000 The message boarders are rejoicing with Galen Rupp running the 10,000m in Friday's final Diamond League Meet. Plus, they'll see Morgan Uceny in the 1,500m as she tries to win the Diamond League title. And Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake are both running. And showing why no one cares about our sport, Blake is in the 200 and Bolt in the 100.
*Are Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake The New Usain Bolt And Tyson Gay? By that we mean the two guys who have a "rivalry" but never race. This article makes it seem like we might not see an Usain Bolt vs. Yohan Blake match up until the 2012 Olympics (August 5th apparently).
*Brussels Entry List Walter Dix in the 200 against Yohan Blake, Oscar P in the 400. Men's 800 and 5k look good with David Rudisha, Abubaker Kaki, Asbel Kiprop, and Alfred Kirwa Yego in the 800, and in the 5k Imane Merga vs. Gebremeskel. Remember Gebremeskel got the Worlds bronze when Merga was DQ'd.
Other Upcoming: Mo Farah To Run At Great North City Games This Saturday It's a team competition: GB & Northern Ireland vs the US. Article doesn't mention what Farah is running, but one would assume the 5k, 10k, or both.
Some Assorted Results
- Ethiopians Dominate At Africa Games They went 1-2-3 in the men's steeple, and 1-2 in the women's 5k.
- All Africa Games: Abraham Tarbei Wins 5k Gold For Kenya After Shockingly Kenya Fails To Medal In The Steeple
- Recap Of Minnesota Mile: All-Americans Craig Miller And Brenda Martinez Win Titles
- IAAF: Finland Men Beat Sweden In Famous Annual Duel It was a close meet for the men, but on the women's side Sweden dominated.
Cornell Alum Max King Takes Gold At World Mountain Running Championship US's Kasie Enman also won gold for the women. Later this month Max King will chase his 4th consecutive XTERRA Trail Run National title. *MB: Max King wins WMR Champs
*IAAF Recap Chinese National Championships: Su Bingtian Sets NR In 100m With 10.16
Video: The Legacy Of Oregon Women's Track & Field All-American distance runner Marie Davis: "They walked around in shirts that said 'The Men of Oregon' like they were a part of history and we weren't."
The Post-Worlds News Continues
- Analysis Of Jamaica's Performance At Worlds And The Lessons They've Learned Apparently, a common complaint from multiple nations was the lack of quality/good tasting food for the athletes in Daegu.
- Jamaican Cartoon Takes A Shot At Asafa Powell Apparently the Jamaican media shows no favoritism as they also made fun of Bolt yesterday.
- Blogger Criticizes UK Coach Charles Van Commenee For Publicly Bashing His Athletes Among other things.
- Interview With Russia's Head Coach About Their 2nd-Place Finish In The Overall Medal Standings On Yelena Isinbayeva's poor performance, he says he doesn't think she competed enough before Worlds to be ready nor had enough competitive jumps when she did compete.
*Milcah Chemos Had To Settle For Bronze At World Champs, But Will Settle For The DL Trophy This Weekend And An Olympic Gold Next Year
*South Africa's Hopes Of Winning Medals At The All Africa Games Almost Completely In The Hands Of Field Events
President Of IOC Says "Gambling-Related Corruption And Not Drug Abuse Is Now The Biggest Integrity Threat To Sport" In track and field, we think it is still the drugs.
- Bolt's Mom Forgives Daegu Starter's Decision Starter said: "All the hype has been around Usain Bolt's disqualification because he is one of the biggest names in sport but it was probably the easiest decision I've ever had to make."
- Jamaican Paper Cartoon Makes Fun Of Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake For World Champs Podium Goofing Off
- Olympic 1,500m Champ Nancy Jebet Lagat Raced Through Injury At Worlds, Possibly Against Her Wishes
- Irish "B" Athlete, HJer Deirdre Ryan, Now Back On Funding After Getting "A" Standard And 6th Place At World Champs She's probably very happy Ireland decided to let athletes with the "B" standard go to World Champs, as they are only letting "A" standard athletes go to the Olympics.
Short Track Stanford Of Europe? Rieti Is Saturday *Results
Rieti Saturday: Rudisha 1:41.33!!!, Kiprop 3:30.46 PR Rudisha returned to the site of his 1:41.01 world record and he came close to matching it. Asbel Kiprop, two days after not being able to finish 3rd in Zürich to win the $40,000 Diamond League title, blasted a 3:30.46 to get a PR faster than Andrew Wheating. And WORLD CHAMPION Jenny Simpson raced for the first
time since Worlds. The result? 4:06.13 for 10th place. Lagat outkicked Vincent Chepkok, Thomas Longosiwa and last year's winner Tariku Bekele. In the 100, Walter Dix won in 10.02 over Jamaica's Lerone Clarke in 2nd, and Justin Gatlin 3rd. Lashawn Merritt ran 20.13 to win the 200 beating Norway's World Champs fourth placer Jaysuma Saidy Ndure (20.41).
*Video Of Rudisha's Run
*Aussie Jeff Riseley Gets Pulled To 800 PR In Rieti With 1:44.64 For 7th
*Poland’s 800m Runner Adam Kszczot Runs 1:43.30"
*Jamaica's Kaliese Spencer Wins 400m Hurdles
Rieti On The Boards: *Asbel 3'30.46 *RUDISHA 1:41.33 *Jenny Simpson 4:06.13 in Rieti Today
Tue: Zagreb Preview: Usain Bolt To Return To Action & Face Kim Collins At 100m
- Did You Know? Magdalena Lewy Boulet Became A Us Citizen On 9/11/01
- Ultra Marathon In Australia Goes Horribly Wrong As 5 People Get Caught In Raging Bush Fire
- Brief Preview Of Sunday's Minnesota Mile
- IAAF Preview Of BOA Chicago Marathon
*3 More Top Female European Marathoners Join Liliya Shobukhova At Chicago French record holder Christelle Daunay, runner up at the 2010 London Marathon Inga Abitova, and Maria Konovalova who was third at Chicago last year.
- Olympic Head To Get £1.5 Million Next Year If The Games Are Deemed A Success
- After Finishing 13th At Worlds, LJer Marquise Goodwin Changes His Mind And Decides To Play Football At Texas Originally, he was going to take the fall off and focus on getting ready for London.
Boston Marathon Registration To Open On Monday
- Philip Hersh Is Completely Against Qatar Winning The Bid For The 2017 World Champs The hot weather is only one of his reasons as he comments on Qatar's lack of religious freedoms and gender equality, arguing that they only win bids for world sporting events because of the power of oil/money.
- Preview Of Prague 10k: Kenya's 59:30 Half Marathoner Philemon Limo Up Against NZ's Jake Robertson
- Vin Lananna: "This cross country season is important, but ... for the University of Oregon, our focus is on the outdoor season."
- Liliya Shobukhova Aiming For First-Ever Three-Peat At 2011 Chicago Marathon
- Chicago Marathon Adds Elite Japan Runners To Field Half Marathon NR holder Kayoko Fukush and former 30k WR holder Takayuki Matsumiya.
- "Mother Of All Parties" Prepared For David Rudisha's Homecoming "Twenty bulls will be slaughter for an anticipated 10,000 guests who will attend."
- Japan's Yuki Kawauchi Vows To Carry On As An Amateur
- Oscar Still "Pist" Off At Critics, IAAF He says that he shouldn't have to run lead off leg of the 4 x 4 as he claims he's ran many other legs before "without incident."
*Is Oscar Pistorius Devaluing The Paralympics? Edit: Says, "This piece has been taken down pending an investigation."
Sad: Seraphino Antao, Kenya's Only Short Sprinter To Win A Medal At A World Championships, Dies At 73 He won the 100y/200y at the 1962 Commonwealth Games, making him the first Kenyan athlete to win a gold medal at an international level.
Bad: British Agent/Manager Ian Ladbrooke Has Cheated Elite Runners Out Of Close To A Half Million Dollars In Winnings Includes athletes such as Boston Marathon champ Caroline Kilel as well as top marathoners Wilson Chebet and Patrick Makau.
Three Recommended Reads
- RR #1 We Remember 25 Years (And 3 Days) Ago, Mark Nenow Set The American Record Over 25 Laps (10,000) The record lasted almost 15 years until Meb broke it in 2001 by running 27:13.
- RR #2 Exhausted Allyson Felix Says 100m Isn't Out Of The Equation For 2012 Philip Hersh's column is a good one and perfect example of why he's one of the few track writers left. The points in the article make sense but we have a Memo To The World: Felix's chances for 400m gold are way better than 200m or 100m.
- RR #3 Asafa Powell's Handlers Deserve Lots Of Blame For Powell Being Vilified As Villain We 100% agree that Powell shouldn't have been talking big if he was injured.
More Post-Worlds News
- Kenyan Coach Critical Of 10,000 And 5,000 Performances He blames lack of finishing speed and doing too many road races.
- Extended Article On The Career Of Matt Centrowitz, From High School To World Champs Bronze Medallist "This whole year's been about having fun. I can't think of one race where I put so much pressure on myself. I knew if I was dead last I'd still be 12th in the world. That's not so bad."
- Jenny Simpson Blogs About The Last 18 Months Leading Up To Winning Gold At WCs
- Doc Patton Writes An Emotionally-Charged Blog About DNFing In The 4 X 1 At World Champs
- Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Apologize For Clowning Around During Medal Ceremony/National Anthem
- Seb Coe Calls Bolt "Muhammad Ali Of Athletics"
- 3-Time 800m World Champ Maria Mutola Says She Thinks Caster Semenya Will Break The WR Sometime In The Near Future
After Being Asked If He's An "Inconvenient Embarrassment" For T&F, Oscar Pistorious Cuts Short A BBC Radio Interview We don't know how anyone could call him an embarrassment. We'd call him an inconvenient inspiration.
*LRC MB: Pistorius "inconvenient embarrassment" Pissed at BBC
Post-World Championships Distance News
- Alberto Salazar Says Mo Farah Isn't As Fast As Galen Rupp - Plans To Have Mo Run 800s And 1,500s Next Year To Work On Kick That Will Give Him Double Gold
- Salazar Praises Farah & Rupp - On Rupp: "He was going for it, and he's not scared. He's young and I'm just going to get him a little stronger."
- Centro: "When I found myself in medal range, I just kept digging down." Now it's time for Centro Nation to party.
- Nick Willis Is Confused As To Why He Didn't Have His Patented Kick At Worlds He needs to figure out what happened in the semifinal. When you get pulled out on a stretch, the odds of you recovering two days later are next to nil.
- Be Thankful You Don't Live In Uganda Moses Kipsiro's Preparations For Daegu Were Hampered By Illness And Threats On His Life The 12:50 performer apparently also has had some Olympic funding stripped for some unknown reason.
2011 Worlds End With A Bang!
*Final Results *LRC Interviews From Daegu *LRC Photos From Daegu
LRC Men's 5,000 Gets Physical: Farah Wins But Lagat Says He Had It Deserving champ Mo Farah goes home with 5,000m gold, but were it not for a now-DQed Imane Merga getting physical with 3 top contenders in the span of 300m, including prime rival Bernard Lagat, Farah may have returned to Oregon with 2 narrow losses. We've got the story of the most controversial distance event at Worlds.
800 Final: Semenya Goes Down Caster Semenya goes home with silver as Russian Mariya Savinova ran 1:55 to shock the huge favorite and herself to take home the gold, with Alysia Montano just missing out in 4th. Semenya, who was permitted to skip the press conference amid the 2009 controversy in Berlin, did a great job talking to the media in her first Worlds press conference.
*After 6th Place Finish In 800, Maggie Vessey Says She's Disappointed She concedes that having to run multiple fast 800s to make the final took a lot out of her.
Sunday AM: 2011 World Championships Marathon: Abel Kirui X 2 Kirui destroyed the field the second half to get his second world title. Despite being 2009 World Champ, Kirui switched coaches this year to LRC message board favorite Renato Canova. Kirui gave Canova a call after the race. The American men struggled.
Saturday: LRC Bolt Back - 19.40 ... Lemaitre Medals - 19.80 ... Vlasic, Thor, Dix - Silver ... We recap the non-distance action from the penultimate day in Daegu, including Sally Pearson's phenomenal 12.28 in the 100m hurdles, a super-fast 200m final, and more posing from high jump 2nd-placer Blanka Vlasic.
*"The Fierce White Girl" Sally Pearson Sets CR
*LRC Day 7 Non-Distance: Dwight Phillips Gets Gold #5, US 4 X 400 Kicks By S. Africa, VCB Over Jeter And Felix, US Shotputters Shut Out The quotes, the interviews, the results ... plus the cover jinx barely survives, why Pistorius didn't run for South Africa's medal-winning 4 x 4, and more.
On The Boards: LaShawn Merrit kicks home for gold like a boss
*Dwight Phillips wins his 4th WC LJ - Bib #1111
*Carmalita Jeter! UGH
LRC Day 6 Jenny Gets Gold Jenny Simpson powered home the final 100m to stun the world Thursday night to end America's 28-year drought of distance gold. Her run was unexpected, but in retrospect not totally shocking, as the American phenom showed in 2009 she can run with the world's best when fit and healthy. And she's definitely fit and healthy now and from now on will always
Jenny Simpson ... World Champion.
*British Media Falls In Love With "Starlet" Hannah England, Who Won Silver Some great photos of her on her victory lap.
*Hannah England Makes Mentor Kelly Holmes Proud By Winning Silver
*Seb Coe Always Believed In Her As Well (But Few Others) It's a shame the British media doesn't realize how hard it is to win an NCAA title.
On The Boards: *Simpson wins 1500m - Uceny falls! *GUTTED for Morgan Uceny
LRC: 1,500 Semis: Matt Centrowitz Puts On A Clinic As He, Asbel Kiprop And Silas Kiplagat Cruise Into Finals The American champ ran like he belonged from the very start and won his heat in a race where he never left the rail and looked like a total veteran, not a 21-year-old rookie. Meanwhile, a few names like Amine Laalou, Deresse Mekonnen, Leo Manzano and Daniel Kipchirir Komen fell by the wayside. Former FSU product Ciaran O'Lionaird advanced easily as Nick Willis surprisingly struggled and sought medical treatment afterwards.
*Extereme Dehydration May Have Caused Nick Willis To Have A Hamstring Problem He was carried off on a stretcher (great pic included).
LRC In Daegu: American Glory, Evil Sorcery Jinx Rule Day 6 In Daegu World champ and new US record-setter Lashinda Demus and her mother/coach talk about how video games brought her to glory, Jesse Williams wins the first US high jump gold in 20 years and throws a barb at Dwight Stones, and the biggest news of all: The
LRC How Rudisha's Night Was Almost Ruined David Rudisha is now safely in the record annals as a world champion, but a little-noticed collision almost cost him his shoe and the title. We've got the photo evidence to prove it and virtually unanimous WR predictions from his rivals. Also: Oscar P and RSA are set to vie for a 4 x 4 medal, while Kenya's 4 x 4 sprinters heroically made the final ahead of medal favorites Bahamas ... but will Rudisha be running in the final? We asked Kenya's top sprinter.
LetsRun.com's Promotion Of Blake's Flinch Continues To Go Viral Worldwide
- Sports Illustrated Lavishes Praise On LetsRun.com And Rojo Tim Layden: "According to the smart guys at letsrun.com ..." & "I have great respect for Johnson"... but more respect for Ato Boldon ;(.
- LRC MB: Tim Layden Refers To "The Smart Guys At Letsrun.com"
- LetsRun.com & Blake Flinch Get Press In Norway's Largest Paper (translation) *Article In Norwegian
800m Final LRC David Rudisha Gets The World Title He Deserves, Nick Symmonds Comes Up Short Rudisha had been undefeated in every race since the last World Championships and on Tuesday he won the one race he hadn't won in two years - the World Championships.
American Nick Symmonds was in medal contention but came home in fifth and the American medal drought continues at 800m.
More On The Boards: Mens 800 Final
*Nick Symmonds Post-Race Comments
Monday: LRC Lots Of Sprint Intrigue: WR Holder Dayron Robles Goes From Gold To Zilch, Allyson Felix Upended By Botswanan, Pistorius Has Chance But Fades Good thing there was no distance action Monday night, as we wouldn't have had time to recap all the sprint/field event action. A DQ in the hurdles that gave Jason Richardson the unexpected World title, Allyson Felix got a PR but lost, and Oscar P fizzled out. Plus an unexpected medal in the shot for an American, a thrilling pole vault and, oh yeah, the 100m women's final, where HSI got its 2nd gold of the night.
Men's 10,000m: LRC Ibrahim Jeilan, A Guy You've Never Heard Of, Stuns The World In Men's 10,000m The men's 10,000m was a total shocker as Ibrahim Jeilan, a former World Junior champion who was passed over by the Ethiopian team on two occasions and had to go to Japan to keep his running career alive, shocked the world's best distance runner Mo Farah in a great duel over the final 100m, as Farah apparently kicked too hard, too soon. Galen Rupp was 7th and the great Kenenisa Bekele dropped out, losing his first 10,000m ever.
LRC Kenya's Heavenly Day 1 Ends With Perfection! Vivian Cheruiyot Leads Kenyans To 1-2-3-4 Domination Of Women's 10,000 The much-anticipated battle between the undefeated Meseret Defar and Vivian Cheruiyot never materialized as Defar fell off and then dropped out, but Cheruiyot did come through as expected. The Oregon track club's Sally Kipyego got the silver as the Kenyan women's day went from incredible to heavenly, as they followed up near perfection in the marathon with total perfection in the 10,000. The American women struggled, as Shalane Flanagan was 7th and Kara Goucher was lapped. Jen Rhines was 9th.
*LRC Video Reaction From Cheruiyot, Kipyego, Flanagan And Goucher
LRC Recap Now Up
Saturday's Action Underway: Edna Kiplagat Survives Fall, Leads Kenya To 1-2-3 Sweep In Marathon To Start Worlds Kiplagat has shot to the top of the world marathon ranks in the last two years (New York champ last year, 2:20 for 3rd in London) and she backed it up with an impressive win despite falling at a water station in the final 10km. Priscah Jeptoo was second and Sharon Cherop third. Tera Moody - just months removed from 3 surgeries - was the first American (interview here) in 17th and Kathy Newberry was 30th (interview here).
*LRC Post-Race Comments From Kiplagat *IAAF: Patience and family support key to Kiplagat's Rise
On The Boards: women's marathon play by play
Post World Champs And Looking Ahead To 2012
- 10 World Champs Gold Medalists With The Most To Prove In 2012 Yohan Blake is an obvious one as well as 10k winner Ibrahim Jelian, better known as the guy who beat Mo Farah. List also includes 4 US athletes.
- "What if they held a World Championships and no one knew about it? Well for track and field in the US that's just about what happened" Writer talks about the shockingly low coverage of track and swimming World Champs and proposes some ideas the USOC can do to help increase interest.
- Writer Asks: "What's not to like about Usain Bolt?" Bolt on his Olympic 100-meter WR: "I was slowing down long before the finish and wasn't tired at all. I could have gone back to the start and done it all over again."
- False-Start Question Trips Up Jamaican Beauty Contestant And Costs Her The Win It's funny to think that this issue is common knowledge in Jamaica while in the US almost no non-track fans could have answered it.
- Video Interview With Jenny Simpson's High School Coach
- Scientists Warn That With New Technology 2012 Olympics Will Be 'Riskiest Yet' For Dopers
- Sanya Richards-Ross Video Blog: Says No Way She's Retiring
Delilah Episode 9: The Goal On Hold (Plus She Sees if Her Boyfriend Can Run a 9:30 Two Mile) (Sponsored)
In this episode, Delilah DiCrescenzo of "Hey There, Delilah" fame discusses having to miss the World Champs with a stress fracture. For therapy she sees if her boyfriend can run a 9:30 two mile.*Episode 1: Delilah Makes Worlds *Ep. 2: Training In NYC *Ep. 3: Legendary Coach Gags *Ep. 4: Fast And Fashionable *Ep 5: In The Spotlight, In The World *Ep 6: Delilah Goes To Europe *Ep 7: European Living *Ep 8: European Racing. More @Puma Running On Facebook
Sunday 90th ISTAF Berlin Meet *Results
*Yohan Blake's 9.82 Highlights 90th Berlin ISTAF Meet Before 51,812 Blake ran 9.82 and afterwards said, "I could have run 9.7 easy." Kirani James won, so did Paul Koech and Jesse Williams, as Janeth Jepkosgei beat Caster Semenya in the women's 800.
*World Champ Jesse Williams Wins HJ
*Jav WR Holder Barbora Spotakova And Hamer WR Holder Betty Heidler Both Won Their Respective Events
*Recap Of Kenyan Weekend Performances From Berlin. Rieti, And More
*AP Recap Of 80th Berlin ISTAF Meet
*Olympic Champ Yelena Isinbayeva Pulls Out Of ISTAF Berlin, Citing A "Lack Of Form" Remember she was a disappointing 6th at World Champs.
Gold For Lukas *Two Photos Of Lukas
V Gets World Junior Triathlon Gold He delivered on his promise to get gold for his friend with cancer. Now it's off to freshman year of Oregon.
On The Boards: LUKAS VERZBICAS - GOLD!
*Philip Hersh Covers LV's World Junior Triathlon Win Of going into the run with a 30-second lead, LV said, "On the run, I just kind of enjoyed the moment. It just felt nice."
- Lithuanian Discus Thrower Virgilijus Alekna Won The Diamond League At Age 39
- US Runners Win Team Competition At 100k World Championships And Take Silver And Bronze Individual Medals Giorgio Calcaterra won in 6:27:32 (6:14 pace per mile). US's Michael Wardian and Andrew Henshaw went 2-3.
- Philemon Limo Wins Prague Road 10k In 27:34
- Hammer WR Holder Betty Heidler Of Germany Wins DKB Duel In Elstal With 77.53m She beat the former WR holder/World Champ Anita Wlodarczyk.
New York Times Profiles Lukas Verzbicas' Quest For Jr. World Triathlon Title The race is Sunday.
3 Recommended Reads
- RR #1 Now That His Father Has Died, Olympic Champ Frank Shorter Reveals His Dad, Who Was Revered As The Town Doctor, Was A Violent & Sexual Sociopath Beatings of Frank were bad enough, but the rapes of at least two of his sisters were even worse. Sick.
- Are You Struggling In College? Read This:
RR #2 Ryan Hall Looks Back At His Stanford Career Hall admits he thought his teammates were lazy when he got there and reminds us that he really struggled in college and never made NCAAs in track until his senior year - when he won them.
- RR #3 Shot Putter Adam Nelson Talks In Great Detail About How Hard It Is To Make It As A Pro Thrower In The US If he got 4th at every Diamond League meet, he'd only earn $21,000. Maybe LRC should sponsor him.
Zürich Weltklasse *Results *Recap *More Yahoo Zürich Photos
LRC Zürich Recap: Blake 9.82! Over Powell, Nixon Chepseba?! Wins Diamond League 1,500 Title, Kemboi Wins Again, Savinova Wins Stacked 800 It's called the best one day track meet in the World for a reason, it gets the stars. This year's meet had 18 events and in 17 of them it featured the recent World Champ (and in the women's 200 it had Jeter and Felix). Yohan Blake beat Asafa
in the 100, Vivian Cheruiyot faced a tough challenge from Sally Kipyego in the 5000, as Shalane Flanagan struggled. Nixon Chepseba and Jenny Meadows got surprise overall Diamond League titles and $40,000, as Dayron Robles crossed the finish line first again. LRC Recap and analysis, as we even take a look at Allyson Felix and Carmelita Jeter six years ago.
AFP: Blake Gets Zurich Win
Kenya: Cheruiyot, Chepseba, Kipsiele Win Diamond trophies
*US Victories For Carmelita Jeter In 200, Jenn Suhr In Pole Vault, & Brittney Reese In The LJ In Zurich DL Jenn Suhr beat WR holder Yelena Isinbayeva, but lost the overall DL by 1pt to German Silke Spiegelburg.
*Jenny Meadows Gets 3rd, Wins Overall DL
*Sally Pearson Wins 100m Hurdles She'll run a flat 100 in Italy this weekend and then the hurdles again in Brussels DL.
*NZ's World Champ Valerie Adams Wins Zurich Shot Put/DL Title
On The Boards: Blake 9.82 (0.0) !!!!!!
*Shalane Flanagan 5k in Zurich
*With James: 44:36 NR; Blake 9.82 PB - who needs Bolt
10 Years After September 11th
- Q&A With NYRR: 9/11 A Decade Later "Within days of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack on the World Trade Center, then-Mayor Rudy Giuliani sent word to New York Road Runners: the New York City Marathon, scheduled for Nov. 4, must go on."
- A Brief Chat With Mary Wittenberg About NYRR's Decision To Still Hold The NYC Marathon In 2001 After 9/11
- Army Vets Running 55 Miles From West Point To NYC In Memory Of 9/11
Non-Diamond League Upcoming
- Preview Of Berlin Internationales Stadionfest This Sunday World Champ Yohan Blake vs. 4 x 1 teammate Michael Frater in the 100m, Caster Semenya vs. bronze medallist JJ Busienei of Kenya in the 800.
- Top UK Runners Jo Pavey And Mara Yamauchi To Race At Bupa Great North Run On Sept. 18th Both are coming off of injuries which kept them out of the World Championships.
- Canadian Olympic 10k Runner Eric Gillis Enjoying Training For Olympic Marathon "A" With Rivals "I will enjoy the process more, which inevitably is what it's all about, if I am training with the guys like Reid and Rob, than if I was training on my own. It's going to lead to better results down the road. It really works on a number of fronts to benefit me. I am not worried about side effects of helping them out. I am quite happy to do that."
- Sarah Palin Runs An Iowa Half Marathon In 1:46:10 Faster than Drew Carey, who ran a personal best 1:50:45 in the Disney Lane Half Marathon. *MB: Palin run Half Marathon??????????
- Book Review Of Adam Goucher's New Book, Running On The Edge
- Running Times: Michele Suszek Is A 2:38 Marathoner, Wrestler, Dancer, And Nationally-Ranked Bodybuilder
Greek Appeals Court Overturns Convictions For Former Sprint Stars Costas Kenteris And Katerina Thanou We disagree 100% with their lawyer's assessment of what this all means. Their lawyer says, "I am proud as a Greek, because the decision demonstrates that the [athletes] were totally clean." No it doesn't. It just means they couldn't be criminally convicted of perjury or staging a crash. The conviction of their coach for "on charges of possession and storage of illegal substances" was upheld and the facts are that Kenteris and Thanou did miss three drug tests in 2004 - only one of which was for the alleged car crash.
Stratton Faxon New Haven 20k Road Race - US 20k Champs *Webcast Replay/Video Interviews
He's Back? Abdi Abdirahman Takes Lead At 3 Miles, Never Looks Back And Easily Wins The times were slow, as Abdi (60:12) kept looking over his shoulder wondering where the competition was. In the past, sub-61:00 hasn't even placed in the top 10, but today only three broke 61:00. In the women's race, newly-minted US citizen Janet Cherobon-Bawcom,
of Kenya, won in 68:31.
*Running USA Recap With Top 10 Result *LRC MB US 20k Champs *LRC MB: Abdi is Back!!!
*Pre-Race Article On New Haven
Daegu 2011 ... It's Over, Folks
*Photos: Bolt *Centro
Final Eve: Bolt, Jamaica Set 4 X 100 WR SI.com Usain Bolt saw the 37.04, crossed the line, threw the baton 100 feet in the air, danced for 30 minutes on the track, and of course unlike any HS or college kid who might do that, was celebrated rather than DQed. *Best Video Of What Happened To US Team
*US Youngsters Carry Team - Christian Taylor's 17.96 TJ Stuns Field Taylor and Will Claye took gold and bronze in the TJ to overshadow men's 4 x 100 fall. Taylor's 17.96m jump is the 2nd-longest triple jump in World Champs history.
*LRC Video: Lananna Quick Take On USA Team Performance Simply put, the US crushed the rest of the world medal-wise, winning some surprise medals from Simpson, Centro and the TJers but also missing some opportunities in men's shot, men's 400H, men's 4 x 1.
Other Sunday Results/Post-Worlds Thoughts
*Philip Hersh: The US Cleans Up In The Medal Counts At Worlds; Allyson Felix Walks Away With 4 Medals After Helping The Women's 4 X 1 Win Gold Allyson Felix is only the 4th athlete ever to win 4 medals at the World Championships.
*Russian Tatyana Lysenko Upset WR Holder Betty Heidler To Win Women's Hammer But she's a former drug cheat who was involved in Russia's largest doping scandal.
*At The Beginning Of Last Month, Ciaran O'Lionard Hadn't Run Under 3:40, Now He's Finished 10th In The World Article talks about how he'll now be getting funding from Ireland Sports Council and how he had to spend 2 hours in anti-doping because he "couldn't produce a sample" due to dehydration.
*Despite Success, UK Coach Charles van Commenee Still Very Critical Of His Team He describes the performance of the men's 4 x 400m in their final as "appalling, unforgivable."
*IAAF To Stick With False Start Rule Despite Bolt's DQ
*Of False Start In 100m, Bolt Says, "It was all my fault. People are saying that Yohan twitched, but that is not the case."
*IAAF Says Doha Can Bid For Late September 2017 Worlds
Worlds Friday - More Gold For Kenyan Women, USA *Results *Special Worlds-Only LRC Forum More Centro Photos
LRC: Matt Centrowitz Gets Bronze As Asbel Kiprop And Silas Kiplagat
Go 1-2 Only 21, Centrowitz ran like a seasoned pro and got the first American-born track medal since 1987. Another 10 meters and his medal might have been a different color. Asbel Kiprop got Kenya its first World Championships 1,500m gold and Silas Kiplagat backed him up with silver. Ladies (and gentleman for the first time), we also tell you how to get onto Centro Nation. Recap and extensive post-race reaction.
*Matt Centrowitz Says Jenny Simpson's 1,500 Win "Set The Tone" And Made Him Believe He Could Medal
More Distance: Lauren Fleshman Gives An Inside Look Minute-By-Minute Of Her WCs Experience "I didn't know who won, who got medals, who I pipped at the line, what time I ran, or what place I finished. Complete immersion into maximum effort drowned out all my senses ... all I could think about was this: June 24th: 8th in the USA September 2nd: 7th in the world. Just goes to show, you never know what awaits you. Believe in turnarounds. Believe in yourself."
*Based On Pre-Race Workout, Alberto Salazar Says Mo Farah Is In Perfect Shape To Win 5k Gold
LRC Vivian Cheruiyot Completes 10k/5k Double American Lauren Fleshman finished a solid 7th in a race that saw Vivian Cheruiyot run away with her 2nd gold of the champs, closing in 58.6 to lead Kenya to their 8th and 9th medals of the championships.
*LRC: Women's 5,000m Analysis And Reaction
*More Cheruiyot Photos
Rec Read: How Cheruiyot Got The Double The Daily Nation Cheruiyot's manager Ricky Simms before the race: "If it is a slow race, Vivian will win. If it is a fast race, Vivian will win."
LRC: Women's 800m Semifinals: Caster Semenya Is Back, Maggie Vessey And Alysia Montano Make The Final Caster Semenya looked like Semenya of '09 and if that is the case, there is nothing else the other women in the field can do. For the first time since 1988, two Americans are in the final. Can the US get its first medal since the late Kim Gallagher's bronze in '88?
*Vessey At Another Level In 800 Semis Steve Ritchie
*Jenny Meadows Misses 800m Final
*MB: Caster Semenya strikes again
World's Thursday Action *Results *Special Worlds-Only LRC Forum *Thursday AM Post-Race Interviews
Day 6 Is In The Books *Athletics Weekly Recap *IAAF Day 6 Recap
LRC Ezekiel Kemboi Gets Gold And Does The Mini Bolt Ezekiel Kemboi absolutely crushed the field the final 200m to arguably become the greatest championship steepler ever. He was so majestic the final 200 that he had time to celebrate in lane 7 before the silver medal was determined.
*Kemboi Explains To Kenyan Media Why His Celebration Was Extra Long "My friend Usain Bolt remember was not in the finals and he would have danced well. I had to do (it) for Usain Bolt and me."
*Kemboi Left Stadium "In Stitches And Awe In Equal Measure"
*Kenyan Media Happy With "Stylish" 1-2 Finish In Steeple - Proclaims Cheruiyot Winner Of Women's 5,000 Before Race Is Even Run
*Eldoret Erupts In Joy For Most Popular Runner In Town - Kemboi
On The Boards: Ezekiel Kemboi Appreciation Thread - That was the greatest final 200 (and celebration by a distance runner) ever
2011 Worlds (Race Highlights Embedded On Right)
Day 4 Is In The Books *Athletics Weekly Recap *IAAF Day 4 Recap
LRC: Day 4: Teenage King James Nips Merritt In 400m, Zaripova Takes Steeple Going Away, Uceny And Simpson Make 1,500m Final We recap all of
Tuesday's pm action outside of the men's 800m final in this piece. We break down the 400m final, the women's steeple final (and where Jenny Simpson would have finished), look at the 1,500m semis and much more.
LRC: Day 4 Daegu Distance Previews: Men's 800 Final - Nick Symmonds Goes For A Medal, 1,500 1st Round Highlight Busy Day Great distance action, including the women's steeple final, men's 1,500m round 1 and women's 5,000m round 1 and of course the anticipated 800m final with Symmonds, Rudisha and Kaki.
LRC Usain Bolt False Starts ... Or Did He? Video Proof That Yohan Blake Flinches And Then Usain Bolt False Starts The video shows very clearly that Yohan Blake flinches and then Usain Bolt subconsciously reacted and bolted from the blocks. According to IAAF rules, at a minimum Blake should have been warned. Under no scenario should Bolt have been given the DQ.
*Telegraph Article Here Picking Up The LRC Cause On The Blake Flinch
LRC Bolt's DQ, Ashton Eaton's 1,500m And More
Usain Bolt DQed For FS, Yohan Blake Wins Title *Bolt: "Looking for tears? That's not going to happen."
*Dix (silver): "I couldn't believe it, it's kind of surreal. I didn't think they were going to kick him out. It's pretty hard to kick Usain out of the race."
*Bolt's Coach: "I think he would have run in the sixties (9.60s)."
LRC: Rojo Blogs From The Couch About Daegu: Post #2 - 6 Quick Thoughts About The Men's 10,000, Men's 100m And Men's 800/Thoughts On Human Nature's Attempt To Explain Everything Rojo laments that humans seemingly always try to have a nice and neat explanation for everything like Bolt's DQ or Farah's narrow loss and normally it ends up being wrong. Along the way, he refuses to throw Bekele under the bus and hopes for his resurrection but seemignly has no problems with running all over Matt Tegenkamp. Heartless. Plus big praise for Maurice Greene, Nick Symmonds and even Khadevis Robinson.
Want To Know The Truth About Oscar P? Read This:
Recommended Read: The Scientific Interpretation Of The Oscar Pistorius Research
More On "Johnny The Younger"
*Amby Burfoot's MB Thread
Recommended Read: Boston Globe: John J. Kelley, 80; Marathon champ carried hopes of the nation Kelley lived in a day and age when foreigners were dominating the Boston marathon, but he always showed up and gave it his best (he finished 2nd 5 times) and one magical day he emerged as the winner. He should
be an inspiration to all modern day US marathoner hopes like Ryan Hall, as foreigners won Boston 11 years in a row before his win in 1957 and 10 years in a row after it.
New England Runner: Tribute To The Renaissance Man Kelley
The New London Day (Local Paper): John Kelley, running legend, dies at 80
NY Times: John J. Kelley, Marathon Champion, Dies At 80
Rudisha's 1:41.33 (Rieti Results Here)
Kenyan Benson Barus Wins Virginia Beach Half Marathon In 1:02:22, Ryan Hall 4th In 1:03:02 Hall said, "I think I could run a marathon at that pace but when I'd go to the front and try to go a faster it would feel very uncomfortable. That's a good sign actually."
Usain Bolt And Jamaica Get World Record (International Visitors Click Here, Post-Race Press Conf. Here)
Simpson Gets Gold (International Visitors Click Here)
Ezekiel Kemboi Wins And Has The Greatest Celebration Ever (International Visitors Click Here)
Simpson After Her Gold (For More On Jenny's Post-Race Reaction, Click Here For Her Highlights From The Post-Race Press Conference)
Men's 800 Final (International Visitors Click Here, Post-Race Interviews Here)
A Scintillating Men's 10,000 Finish (US Visitors Only)
Women's 10,000 Highlights (US Visitors Only, International Visitors Click Here)
LRC Contest Recap - The Greatness Of You
A Must-Watch (We're Not Sure How We Missed This) - Sammy Wanjiru's Mom Theatens Others With A Machete 2 Weeks Ago (More Here)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Universal Sports Back To Top