2011 Worlds (Race Highlights Embedded On Right)
*LRC Schedule For US Fans *Results *LRC Videos From Daegu *LRC Photos From Daegu *LRC Worlds
*IAAF Event-By-Event Reports *IAAF
Event-By-Event Previews *Stats *TV Sched. For US
Bekele Pulls Out of Men's 5000: Jos Hermens his agent calls Daegu a "wake-up call " for Bekele who may run in Brussels on Sept. 16.
Men's 10,000m: LRC Ibrahim Jeilan, A Guy You've Never Heard Of, Stuns The World In Men's 10,000m LRC recap coming The Men's 10,000m was a total shocker as Ibrahim Jeilan, a former World Junior champion who was passed over by the Ethiopian team on two occasions and had to go to Japan to keep his running career alive, shocked the world's best distance runner Mo Farah in a great duel over the final 100m, as Farah apparently kicked too hard, too soon. Galen Rupp was 7th and the great Kenenisa Bekele dropped out, losing his first 10,000m ever. *Post-Race Interviews With Rupp, Bekele, Tegenkamp And Bauhs
*Quick Men's 10,000m Photos
*Japanese Coach Is Pleased With Jeilan's Victory
*Talk About Honesty Farah Thought He Had It: "To tell you the truth, with 300 metres to go I thought I had the race." On the ultimate winner, "I didn't have a clue about the guy."
On The Boards: *10,000M live update thread *W(ho)TF is Ibrahim Jeilan?!?! *What happened to Tegenkamp? *Usain Bolt false start
Excellent Analysis: Rojo Blogs From The Couch About Daegu - 6 Quick Thoughts About The Men's 10,000, Men's 100m And Men's 800
LRC David Rudisha, Abubaker Kaki And Nick Symmonds All Advance To 800m Final Kaki did it the hard way by getting in on time, but Rudisha looked great and Symmonds put on a performance that shows he is medal worthy. The final is Tuesday.
*Post-Race Interviews With Symmonds And KD
LRC Sunday 1,500m Round 1: All 3 American Advance As Fall Shakes Up Round 1 Morgan Uceny, Shannon Rowbury and Jenny Simpson all made the semifinal and Rowbury can thank a fall in the final 50 meters of her heat for advancing by .02 to the semi. Recap and post-race reaction from the Americans and Kiwi Niki Hamblin.
*Dobriskey Stunned As She Bombs Out
LRC Rojo Blogs From The Couch About Daegu - 6 Quick Thoughts About The Men's 10,000, Men's 100m And Men's 800
LRC While Waiting For Day 2 To Start: Rojo Blogs From The Couch About Daegu Not everyone at LRC headquarters is fortunate enough to get to go to Korea and Rojo gets started by taking his anger out by ranting on the TV production. He then introduces the world to Mohamed Aman and provides proof that Ashton Eaton is a fan of Sally Kipyego.
More From LRC:
*Men's 800 Semis - Who Got The Worst Draw?
*LetsRun Nation Is Picking Galen Rupp To Finish 5th - Give Your Final Predictions Here
*Wejo: Today's Sign Of The Apocalypse: My Wife Just Emailed Me: "keep me updated on the pistorius news."
LRC Kenya's Heavenly Day 1 Ends With Perfection! Vivian Cheruiyot Leads Kenyans To 1-2-3-4 Domination Of Women's 10,000 The much-anticipated battle between the undefeated Meseret Defar and Vivian Cheruiyot never materialized as Defar fell off and then dropped out, but Cheruiyot did come through as expected. The Oregon track club's Sally Kipyego got the silver as the Kenyan women's day went from incredible to heavenly, as they followed up near perfection in the marathon with total perfection in the 10,000. The American women struggled, as Shalane Flanagan was 7th and Kara Goucher was lapped. Jen Rhines was 9th.
*LRC Video Reaction From Cheruiyot, Kipyego, Flanagan And Goucher
LRC Recap Now Up
Saturday's Action Underway: Edna Kiplagat Survives Fall, Leads Kenya To 1-2-3 Sweep In Marathon To Start Worlds Kiplagat has shot to the top of the world marathon ranks in the last two years (New York champ last year, 2:20 for 3rd in London) and she backed it up with an impressive win despite falling at a water station in the final 10km. Priscah Jeptoo was second and Sharon Cherop third. Tera Moody - just months removed from 3 surgeries - was the first American (interview here) in 17th and Kathy Newberry was 30th (interview here).
*LRC Post-Race Comments From Kiplagat *IAAF: Patience and family support key to Kiplagat's Rise
On The Boards: women's marathon play by play
LRC Day 1 AM Recap: Men's 800 Nick Symmonds (interview here) won his heat and Khadevis Robinson (interview here) advanced in round 1 of the 800 (mb recap) and Emma Coburn advanced in the steeple (mb recap). *IAAF: Kaki fastest, Rudisha safely through
OTB: 800 Heats *Women's Steeple
*IAAF Day 1 Summary *Register-Guard Recap
Non-Distance News From Worlds
- Usain Bolt In The News: Recommended Read: Sports Illustrated Tim Layden Asks: Is Bolt a fading star or cementing his place in track and field history? We know the answer to this, as Bolt was simply sensational in his 100m heat on Saturday. LRC: No talk about bolt absolutely CRUISING his heat in 10.10 (-0.7) looking very, very good?
- The Great White Hope Lemaitre Looked Good As Well: Lemaitre Is Now 50-60% Sure He'll Medal We know one thing. He won't win if he doesn't try.
- Christine Ohuruogu Bombs Out Of 400
- Defending Olympic And World Champ Steve Hooker Bombs Out Of Pole Vault
- Something We Didn't Realize: Blood Tests In Daegu Are Voluntarily - Thankfully 75% Have Already Taken Them We 100% think the IAAF should publish the names of those that don't get their blood tested. Or we guess a fairer way to do it would be to publish the names that do do it and we'll figure out who didn't.
- Robles Relishing 110H Showdown: "One mistake and you're dead.''
- Asafa Powell's Agent Says Powell Is Upset But May Run Relay If he runs the relay, he should be ashamed of himself for not starting the individual 100m.
- Wow!!! Jeremy Dodson Cleared To Travel To Daegu After Appearing For Judge In Identity Theft Case
- Unbelievable: Nine LSU Tigers Competing At Worlds
- Leave It To The Brits To Be Down About Something Related To Sports: If Brits Win Lots of Medals In Daegu, Columnist Says It Will Be A Bad Thing
- After Another Injury Almost Knocked Her Out, Jenn Suhr Is Somehow At Worlds
- More: 400H: Van Zyl Says, "I went through a bit of a dip (in form) but I am picking it up again."
- Ridiculous: Jamaican Shot Putter Dorian Scott Can't Go To Worlds Because He Accepted Coaching Gig At San Diego State Why bother coaching NCAAs if you dont think competing at the World Championships is worth a few thousand dollars in airline change fees? Hell, San Diego St. should pay for it.
- Usain Bolt News:
*Moronic: Britain's Christian Malcolm Thinks He Can Beat Bolt At 200m
*Maurice Greene Says Usain Bolt Is Vulnerable
- Oscar P News:
*Michael Johnson Supports Oscar P, Who Will Run 1st Leg On 4 X 400
*IAAF: Oscar P Has To Run 1st Leg
Thursday's Big News: Asafa Powell Out Of Worlds All we can say is this sucks, but thank goodness the sport has Usain Bolt. Change/Enter your picks in our $200,011 Worlds Contest here. *Message board thread on
*NY Times: Last Man Running: Bolt's Top 4 Rivals Are All Out Bolt's top 4 challengers based on wind-legal times - Rodgers, Gay, Mullings and Powell - are all out.
*Walter Dix - Hey Don't Forget About Me, I'm Planning On Winning Triple Gold
*Last Man Standing? Yohan Blake Thinks He Could Beat Bolt
*Usain Bolt Denies He Has Achilles Injury & Says He's Ready
*Bolt Says Powell's Withdrawal Is "Really Sad" What's sad is that earlier in the week Powell said there was a 99% he'd win Worlds. Track needs a commissioner so he can be fined for lying to the press.
Other Non-Distance News
- Tyson Gay Shows Up At Worlds To Talk To Media - Says He's Feels Great And Is Already Dreaming Of 2012 But Rehab Is Coming Slowly He's still got a long way to go to comeback from his surgery as "his right hamstring is so weak that he can barely lift one pound (kilogram) and he still walks with a slight limp." His biggest accomplishment is "being able to walk backward in a swimming pool."
- Jamaican Journalist Arrives In Korea - Says He Never Wants To Go Back
- Usain Bolt Is Living In Olympic Village Like Normal Athlete - Jamaican Shot Putter Turns Down Worlds Spot As He's Got To Work A New Job
- We Don't Agree Charles van Commenee: "This golden generation can put Cram, Ovett and Coe in shade." The women's heptathlon isn't the equivalent of the men's decathlon and a foreign-born guy racking it up in the 5,000 and 10,000 isn't the same as the dominating the 800/1,500. *British Track Statistician: If Brits Get 4 Golds, This Is Greatest Team Ever
- Charles van Commenee Says: "I don't need friends, just medals." "At the end of the Games people will consider it a success or a failure based on the medals won or lost. They will not say: 'But we had a great transport system,' or: 'The stadiums looked quite nice and therefore it was a success.' Winning is important, and winning in athletics at the Olympic Games is more important than in other sports."
- Liu Xiang Says 2012 Will Be His Last Olympics
- Science Of Sport: Pistorius Science Part 3: "We knew all along."
- Both Carmelita Jeter And Sanya Richards-Ross Praise Their Coaches for Their Expertise And Faith
- AP: Bolt looking to amuse fans while defending title
- Athletics Kenya (AK) Chairman, Isaiah Kiplagat, Retained His Seat On IAAF Council
LRC Message Boards Having An Impact For A Cleaner Sport Chris Solinsky Volunteers For Blood Profiling
Pool You can read his tweet here. We've always said allowing people on the boards to speculate on doping in the sport ultimately leads to a cleaner sport (it puts pressure on authorities, sponsors, and athletes to clean up the sport and/or show it is clean with better tests) and this proves it.
*Japanese Distance Fans Are Pumped For World's As They Two Japanese Based Kenyans and 1 Japanese Based Ethiopian Will Run World's 10,000 An interesting read for sure as it also talks about a Japanese thrower's love of Sammy Wanjiru.
*An In-Depth Look At the Japanese Men's Marathon Team The team is pretty darn good with 4 sub-2:10 guys. Only 2 US men have done that the last two years and neither is in Daegu.
*If Only US Journalists Were So Polite: After 24 Hour-Plus Journey, Kenyan Journalists Don't Harass Kenyan Team On Day 1 In Daegu
*Still Sick, Shy Or Just Being Coy? Uganda's Moses Kipsiro Has Been Quiet Before Worlds And Some Think He May Still Be Suffering From Typhoid And Malaria His wife says he might go not go to Worlds but others think he's just being coy.
LRC The LetsRun.com Focused 2011 World Track & Field Championships Schedule Watching Daegu is gonna be confusing, as Daegu is 13 hours ahead of New York (16 hours ahead of the West Coast), so we have altered the schedule to present it to you in "American" time so you can start planning in case you want to get up really early to watch a final live.
Distance News From Worlds
*Morgan Uceny Runs 2:34 1k In Practice With 55-Second Last Lap
*An In Depth Look At Japanese Long Distance Track Runners At Worlds
*Despite Stress Fracture in Femur, Kara Goucher Is Optimistic For Worlds The articles says Goucher had taken zero days off from running since a week after giving birth. We call that foolish.
*ESPN W: Currently Injured, Distance Runner Molly Huddle Takes Long View
*Kenyans Arrive In Daegu And Say Village Is Better Than Last Two Olympic Villages
Previous WChamps News
- We 100% Agree!!! Paul Kipsiele Koech Slams Athletics Kenya For Leaving Him Off World Championships Team Only stupidity or a bribe would leave off a guy who has run 7:57 this year and leads the Diamond League for a guy with an 8:22 PR.
- We 100% Agree!!! Men's 110 Hurdles Is One Of Best Events Of Championships
- Reuters' 5 Greatest World Championships Moments
- Kenyan Journalist Is Upset He Hasn't Seen A Single Picture Of David Rudisha In Daegu Meanwhile, he's pumped about Kenyan women's marathon chances on Friday night in a race that will be run in 70-degree temps with 80% humidity.
- Kenyan Women Hoping To Use Teamwork To Sweep Marathon Medals
- An In-Depth Look At The Japanese Marathon Team They've managed to medal at 8 of the last 10 World Champs.
- Herald Sun: Craig Mottram Leaves For Deagu Wondering If He Can Get Back To Top Form "I missed the routine of training and I missed the feeling of being fit."
- Meet The Irish World Championships Team
- Morocco Sending Mid-D Heavy Squad As They Have No 5k Or 10k
- Meet The Ethiopian Team
- Jeanette Kwakye Is Hoping To Be GBR's 1st Medallist At 100m
Men's 10,000m: Farah, Bekele, Rupp Just Days Away
Mo Farah Wary Of Brilliant Bekele Farah riding 10 straight wins, Bekele undefeated lifetime at the distance.
UK Telegraph: Mo Farah On Brink Of Double Gold In Daegu He'll face the double gauntlet of Bekele and Lagat.
Bekele's Manager Says He Is "Training Well"
Boards: Galen Rupp will leave Daegu with a medal
*MB: Game On: Kenenisa Is Going Try To Defend His Title
The 10,000 and 100 are both this upcoming weekend. 100m news below the PowerBar advertorial.
More Worlds First Weekend
Men's 100m: Can Bolt Find The Magic?
Asafa Powell Says It Is Time To Step Out Of Bolt's Shadow *Bolt Predicting Title Defense ... as long as he gets a good start.
Korean Press: Bolt Enjoying Rock Star Status In Daegu Earlier: *Usain Bolt Gets Record For Jamaican With "Most Fans On Facebook"
TrackFocus On Mullings And Masking Agents
Weekend News From The MBoard: CHRIS SOLINSKY OUT OF WORLDS The 10,000 American record holder's disappointing 2011 season just got a whole lot more disappointing as he announced (via twitter) that he's pulled out of the World Championships with a hamstring injury. A year after running 26:59, Solinsky has endured mainly heartache in 2011 as he dropped out of the 10,000 at Pre, a 5,000 in Monaco and is now a DNS at Worlds.
With Bryan Clay Out, Can Ashton Eaton Bring Home US Decathlon Gold?
Curtis Anderson On Eaton, Jesse Williams And Many Other Oregon-Based Americans At 23, indoor heptathlon WR holder Ashton Eaton is considered the gold favorite in the decathlon. Story reveals Eaton discovered flaw in his HJ technique from old Dick Fosbury vids. He then went out and nailed 2-inch PR at 6'10".
2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Is October 9th
- Good Things In 3s? 33-Year-Old Liliya Shobukhova Will Be Looking To Be 1st Person To Win 3 Straight Chicago Titles This Fall If she does, she'll pick up another $500,000 WMM bonus.
- RRW On Liliya Shobukhova "There is no secret in my training ... I always try to run the second half faster than the first half. Even if it is very hard to run, I try to run the second half two to three seconds (per kilometer) faster than the first."
Football/Track Stars In The News
- Jeff Demps Talks About His Decision To Turn Down $$ To Return To Football The article says he turned down "millions." We are almost certain that's not true.
- From Late July: It's Official: Jeff Demps Postponing Pro Track Career For 1 More Year Of Football
- VTech TJumper David Wilson Has Amassed 2,096 All-Purpose Yards And Scored 15 Touchdowns In Part-Time Duty Over Last 2 Years
Woman Writes In New York Times About Being Passed By A Cow In A Half Marathon Over racing will certainly produce some bad performances.
London Bids For 2017 World Champs
- London 2012 To Repeat In 2017?
- British Sports Minister Believes Hosting In 2017 Would Be "Pefect Legacy" For 2012 Games
More World Champs Updates
- Prize Money Breakdown For Daegu Top 8 pay out with $60,000 to the winner and an extra $100,000 for a world record.
- Things Aren't Looking Good For Caster Semenya According to the article, the defending champ is not getting on well with her coach, has been late to practices/just "doing her own thing" and is overweight and slow. Also says the real reason she skipped World University Games was because lack of prize money.
- Where Has World 1,500 Champ Yusuf Kamel Been? He has only competed once this year (1:46.89 800 in July). The article doesn't mention any injury, just makes it sound like he didn't feel like training hard.
- David Rudisha Tech Savvy In these pictures it's hard to say whether he's sponsored by Adidas or Apple.
- A Brief Chat With Jenny Simpson Ahead Of Worlds She said she's learned a lot about good 1,500m racing tactics from watching Morgan Uceny.
- Poland's Pawel Wojciechowski Sets NR And World Lead With 5.91m In Pole Vault
- Kenyan Teammates Linet Masai And Vivian Cheruiyot Will Battle It Out In Worlds 10 *2nd Article On Masai
- The US Has Had Only One HJ World Champ, But As The World Leader Going Into Daegu, Jesse Williams Could Be The Second
- Olympic 1,500 Champ Nancy Jebet Langat: "I need a World Championships gold medal in my title collections."
- Belgium, Bulgaria, Israel, Moldova, Portugal, Slovenia And Switzerland Name Their Teams
- Kenya's 4 X 4 Team Looking To Break Their Medal Drought
- Allyson Felix's Pre-Worlds Diary: Says She Thinks The Universal Blood Testing Is A Great Idea
2011 Worlds (Race Highlights Embedded On Right)
Day 2 Is In The Books *IAAF Summary of Day 2 *Athletics Weekly Summary
LRC Usain Bolt False Starts ... Or Did He? Video Proof That Yohan Blake Flinches and then Usain Bolt False StartsThe video shows very clearly that Yohan Blake flinches and then Usain Bolt subconsciously reacted and bolted from the blocks. According to IAAF rules, at a minimum Blake should have been warned. Under no scenario should Bolt have been given the DQ.
*Telegraph article here pickig up the LRC cause on the Blake flinch
LRC Bolt's DQ, Ashton Eaton's 1,500m And More
Usain Bolt DQed For FS, Yohan Blake Wins Title*Bolt: "Looking for tears? That's not going to happen."
*Dix (silver): "I couldn't believe it, it's kind of surreal. I didn't think they were going to kick him out. It's pretty hard to kick Usain out of the race."
*Bolt's Coach: "I think he would have run in the sixties (9.60s),"
False-Start Rule - Fair Or Foul?
*AP Column: Bolt is human, his sport's rules are not
*Tim Layden: Heave The Rule As Well
*IAAF Stands Behind Rule ... Sort Of IAAF statement says rules must "be applied consistently and fairly for ALL athletes." But then they added, "in extraordinary cases, the IAAF Council has the right to make interim changes to Technical Rules, pending official approval by IAAF Congress."
*Rojo Says Don't Think About Changing Rule
*Don't Forget: Experienced Dwain Chambers Was DQed In Semis
LRC: Rojo Blogs From The Couch About Daegu: Post #2 - 6 Quick Thoughts About The Men's 10,000, Men's 100m And Men's 800/Thoughts On Human Nature's Attempt To Explain Everything Rojo laments that humans seemingly always try to have a nice and neat explanation for everything like Bolt's DQ or Farah's narrow loss and normally it ends up being wrong. Along the way, he refuses to throw Bekele under the bus and hopes for his resurrection but seemignly has no problems with running all over Matt Tegenkamp. Heartless. Plus big praise for Maurice Greene, Nick Symmonds and even Khadevis Robinson.
M 100m: IAAF: Yohan Blake Always Wanted To Be A Cricketer, Now He's Fastest Man On Planet
M 400m - Heats: Merritt Blasts 44.35 World Leader
W LJ: American Brittney Reese Wins - Walking In The Footsteps Of Idol Joyner-Kersee
Uceny Talking Big: "I am definitely in a good position to win." We've gotta admit the article states her goal is any medal.
Only On LetsRun: Sarbi The Mascot Techno Street Dance Routine With Some Korean
Babes Women He's not a match for Berlino.
Other Distance News
*Semenya Admits She'll Be Happy If She Medals At All At Worlds
*Bernard Lagat: "I'm an old man but I'm still running fast."
*Mo Farah Is Full Of Respect For Bekele: "Kenenisa Bekele is like the Usain Bolt of distance running." Bekele's agent had this nugget of info about the King of Distance: "He is quite fit but it is difficult to say what will happen, because he has not raced."
Non-World Championships News
Life After Death: Woman Claiming To Be Sammy Wanjiru's Wife Gives Birth
Previous Worlds News
- Fri. 9:35 pm ET: LRC Day 1 - Quick Preview Of Men's 800 (11:05 pm EDT Fri.) And Women's Steeplechase The action should be incredibly exciting in the men's 800 as Nick Symmonds' medal quest gets under way, but we're most excited to watch noted front-runners Charles Jock and David Rudisha clash
in heat 5. But others
might be paying
most attention to Kaki vs. Yego.
*Almost Exactly 12 Months To The Day He Was Amazed By A Video of Rudisha's WR Run, Chalres Jock Will Be Lining Up In The Lane Next To Him
*David Rudisha Says He's Ready For Worlds
*Kenyan Press Asks Rudisha If He Deserves More Press Like Usain Bolt Our answer: No. When he pulls off the 800, 1,500 and 4 x 400 triple in meet record times, then get back to us.
*David Rudisha's Dad Says He Could Tell From Age 8 That His Son Was Special
More Distance News:
- Kenyan Reporter Bumps Into Kenenisa Bekele At Airport And Bekele Says "I'm ready for the challenge and looking forward to it."
- Caster Semenya's Manager Says She's Special But Worries She Could Be Lost From The Sport If She Crumbles In Daegu
- A Brief Chat With Maryam Yusuf Jamal
- A Brief Chat With Mike Morgan 2:14:55 is his PR.
LRC $200,011 World Championships Prediction Contest Powered By PUMA *IAAF Event-By-Event Previews *TFN's WC Picks For Every Event
Our world-famous prediction contest is back and better than ever as it's up a week early. Pick the top 3 perfectly correctly in 35 events and win $200,011. Win the contest without being perfect and win 4 pairs of PUMA Faas 550s plus a $150 gift certificate. Don't know anything about the meet? Never fear - we've got a table for you that makes picking so easy that an 8th grade soccer player won one time. Now we know some of you think that our "perfect ballot" prize is a gimmick, but we really want to give away a ton of cash, so we've added in a $10,000 prize if you can just pick the 800 through 10,000 correctly for a single sex. *Enter Here
LRC Week That Was As we get ready for Worlds, we wonder if Kara Goucher's injury was preventable, wonder why anyone would talk trash about Kenenisa Bekele and mourn the passing of a rare US-born Boston marathon champ. Along the way, we give you quotes from Blanka Vlasic and Emil Zatopek before addressing Chris Solinsky doping allegations.
Non-Distance News From Worlds:
- AP: US Enters Worlds With Some Top Stars Missing The AP mentions Tyson Gay and Wallace Spearmon but somehow misses the fact that the defending Olympic champ Bryan Clay is also out.
- Moronic Injury Hall of Fame: Florida-Trained Justin Gatlin Battling Frostbite As He Enters World Champs We aren't making this up. *LRC MB: Justin Gatlin has frostbite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Usain Bolt's Publicist Tells Fans Not To Worry That Bolt Isn't Doing Too Many Promotional Activities In Daegu
- Sports Book Establishes Usain Bolt As 3/10 Favorite For Men's 100
- Phillips Idowu Still Isn't Talking To Charles Van Commenee, But Does It Really Matter?
- Australia's Tasmyn Lewis Talks About Being Left Off World Championships Team Originally she said she didn't want to go, so it's a complicated story.
- Inside Athletics World Championships Preview Issue Is Out They are sort of the modern-day T&FN for Australia.
- Darren Campbell Tells Brits What Events Are Worth Watching For Them
- Recommended Read Pat Butcher's Blog Has A Great Letter Than John Kelley Wrote About Hanging Out With Emil Zatopek At The 1956 Olympics
- Chaos At IAAF Elections: Lamine Diack Easily Re-Elected As IAAF Head But Sergei Bubka Needs Two Rounds Of Votes To Stay As VP
- Electronic Voting Failed In 1st Round - Was There A Conspiracy To Deny Bubka?
- Unbelievable: Tanzania Sending 1 Athlete But 4
Fat-CatsOfficials To Worlds
- Sierra Leone Is Also Only Sending 1
*Seb Coe Feels Current Generation Of British Athletes Is Finally Free Of Burden Of "Golden" Generation "I spent three days there just sitting with the team and it occurred to me that this is really the first generation that has been able to get rid of the albatross of the so-called golden era."
*Doomsday Scenario To Ponder: Could The US Men Leave Daegu Without A Single Gold? The answer is yes, but it's very unlikely.
*We Hate The Racewalk But ... This Is Close To Being A Recommended Read Portugese Racewalker Competing In Record 11th Straight World Championships
*Bolt: People Shouldn't Expect World Records But They Shouldn't Forget I'm Undefeated On The Year "I think it will be the same as Berlin. Some people ran well in the early season, but it is the championships that count."
*23 Years After Hosting Olympics, Things Have Developed As Planned For Korea, Which Is Viewed As A Legit Hoster Of Major Sporting Events
*USA Today Does Big Profile On Allyson Felix's Quest For 200/400 Fame
*Dwain Chambers' Olympic Ban Could Possibly Be Lifted If LaShawn Merritt's Gets Lifted
*Out - In - Out: World HJ Champ Yaroslav Rybakov Will Not Defend His Title After All Due To Injury
*Daegu Worlds Is 1st To Feaure Just 3 Rounds Of 100m And 200m Unless you don't have a qualifying time, and then you'll run a preliminary round. IAAF: "We are trying to make the programme more compact, more exciting."
*Christine Ohuruogu Is Upbeat Despite Recent Struggles
- Science Of Sport: The second research study - what it really found about Oscar Pistorius
- IAAF Head Lamine Diack Claims He's Been Cleared Of Bribery Allegations
- IAAF Gets New General Secretary
- Pan Am Games Open Oct. 14th And As Of Now $28 Million Track Is Just A Muddy Mess
Dumb, Dumber And Racist Quotes
Rex RyanKenyan Coach Talks Big As Team Leaves For Korea We hope Kenenisa Bekele puts this idiotic comment on the wall. "Bekele this time will not be a threat to us, that one I am sure about because he has not been active for over three months."
- Dumber: Asafa Powell Dismisses The Greatest 100m In History "I should have beaten Usain in Rome. I gave that race away ... I think I have a great chance, a 99 per cent chance of winning."
- Racist?: NJ GOP Lawman Resigns Because His Wife Replied To Routine Carl Lewis Campaign Email With "Racist" Email Her email read in part: "Imagine having dark skin and name recognition and the nerve to think that equaled knowing something about politics.''
Want To Know The Truth About Oscar P? Read This:
Recommended Read: The Scientific Interpretation Of The Oscar Pistorius Research
More On "Johnny The Younger"
*Amby Burfoot's MB Thread
Recommended Read: Boston Globe: John J. Kelley, 80; Marathon champ carried hopes of the nation Kelley lived in a day and age when foreigners were dominating the Boston marathon, but he always showed up and gave it his best (he finished 2nd 5 times) and one magical day he emerged as the winner. He should
be an inspiration to all modern day US marathoner hopes like Ryan Hall, as foreigners won Boston 11 years in a row before his win in 1957 and 10 years in a row after it.
New England Runner: Tribute To The Renaissance Man Kelley
The New London Day (Local Paper): John Kelley, running legend, dies at 80
NY Times: John J. Kelley, Marathon Champion, Dies At 80
And Then There Were 3
Budapest Pulls Out Early ... 3 Remain In Contention For 2017 Worlds London, Barcelona and Doha remain.
Sprinters Steal The Headlines
- Steve Mullings Hearing Postponed Until October
- Steve Mullings Didn't Go To Jamaica For Hearing - He Sent Someone From His Management Team Instead
- Do You Have No Morals And Want To Know How To Use A Masking Agent Like Furosemide? Track Focus Tells You How To Dope
- Free Dwain Chambers!!! Dwain Chambers Welcomes Drug Testing Of Every Athlete Chambers is the one drug cheat who seems to really have repented and really seems to get what is good for sport - more testing. "For my part I would welcome more frequent and rigorous testing in championships and off season and after I learnt my lesson I hoped that alot more athletes would." Meanwhile, while the repentant Dwain Chambers will be banned from the Olympics, the denier Justin Gatlin will be allowed to compete. That being said, Gatlin is starting to grow on us ... a little bit.
- Gatlin: Back From Suicidal Thoughts During His 4 Year Drug Ban, Justin Gatlin Is Dreaming Big Once Again "I got to the point where I said, 'I don't care anymore.' I was depressed about life, period. There were times I felt,'Who would miss me if I ran this car off the road right now?'"
- Dwain Chambers Expects Usian Bolt To Eventually Break His Own 9.58 Record But Says Bolt's A Beatable Favorite This Year
- AP: Despite Recent Struggles, Bolt Confident He'll Leave Daegu With 3 Golds
Track Town USA, Move Over. Should We Call China "Track Country" And Make It The Permanent Host Of The Olympics?
IAAF Recap Of Incredibly Successful World University Games - More Than 30,000 People Showed Up Every Night To Watch In terms of the action, the big story was the return of Olympic and world champion Nelson Evora in the triple jump. He got the gold in his first competition in 2 years since having screws inserted into his tibia.
Random Road Action From Last Weekend
*Wejo Rejoice: Weldon Wins America's Finest City Half Marathon
*Katie McGregor Runs 75:00 To Win Half Marathon In Minnesota
*Looking Ahead? Want To See The Famed Wildebeest Migration And Run A Marathon At The Same Time? Try The Kenya Airways Masai Mara Marathon
Daegu: Controversy And Intrigue
- Daegu Organizers Build Lavish Athlete Village For WCs, First Time In IAAF History If they've taken their cues from Athens, they'll have latex dispensers installed on every floor.
- Russian Coach Talks About 100+ WC Athletes Training In Vladivostok Camp Even Isinbayeva is attending.
- Semenya Dedicating Upcoming Performance To Mentor Mandela
- Caster Semenya's PR Team Dismisses Reports Of Rift With Coach And Rumors Of Her Being Overweight
- Ironic: Telegraph Writes Sympathetic Oscar P Piece Entitled "Built For Speed" His legs are indeed built for speed and shouldn't be allowed to compete. Oscar P. disagrees and doesn't like getting flak from people like LRC as well as other disabled athletes: "It's pretty frustrating that I'm getting criticised from all quarters." *Oscar P: I'm Done Talking About My Legs
- Steve Mullings Mystified *B Sample Comes Back Positive - Lifetime Ban Next?
- Michael Rodgers Accepts His Provisional Suspsension & Withdraws From Daegu - Trell Kimmons Replaces Him
- Caution - Intellect Required: Irish Times: Hard to Sprint Past the Elephant in the Room Brian O'Connor: Athletics you see is the sport you should like, as distinct from the ones you actually do. It is athletic endeavour at its purest ... an aesthetic representation of humanity’s impulse to push the limits of physical capability. And I can’t believe any of it.
- Amazing News! Every Single Athlete To Be Blood Tested At World Championships *BBC Article On Blood Testing - It'll Be Interesting To See Who Now Pulls Out We agree and all pullouts need to be heavily scrutinized. Back in 2000, we determined Regina Jacobs was on drugs when she pulled out.
Daegu: Additions And Subtractions
- New: Bumbalough Named To 5,000m Squad To Replace Solinsky
- Kenya's New 10k Guy Trains In Japan Paul Tanui's Japanese Coach And Some Fans Will Take Ferry (& Bus) To Watch Him Compete In Daegu Which He Considers To Be A Dream Come True Tanui was added to the team after Wilson Kiprop was taken off with an injury. Don't think just because he didn't "earn" his way onto the team that he can't be a factor. Remember, in cross-country, he was added to the team as a coach's selection and got the silver at Worlds.
- Bryan Clay Withdraws From Worlds With Tendonitis In Knee
- HJ Fans (And Men) Rejoice: Blanka Vlasic WILL Compete At Worlds A day ago, she determined she was too injured to compete, but we love why she changed her mind: "I will either win or fall on my sword. The most important thing is to have no regrets when I end my career one day; I just can't sit in front of the television (in the final) on September 3 and wait for someone else to win the event."
A Scintillating Men's 10,000 Finish (US Visitors Only)
Men's 100m Final
Women's 10,000 Highlights (US Visitors Only, International Visitors Click Here)
Women's Marathon Highlights & False Start (US Visitors Only)
Usain Bolt Crushes His 1st Race
World University Games *Schedule/Results *Photos
- IAAF Recap Of Incredibly Successful World University Games - More Than 30,000 People Showed Up Every Night To Watch In terms of the action, the big story was the return of Olympic and world champion Nelson Evora in the triple jump. He got the gold in his first competition in 2 years since having screws inserted into his tibia.
- Cas Loxsom Leads At 600, Nipped By NCAA Champ Samoei To Miss Bronze By 0.01 Ryan Martin also made the final and finished off the pack.
- Jamaicans Sweep 100m Titles In 11.05 And 10.14
- Oregon's NCAA Champ Anne Kesselring Gets 7th As Two Russians Break 2:00
- Vid: Japan's Suguru Osako Wins Men's 10k In 28:42.83 Russia's Sergey Rybin went out in 13:53 and got a huge lead but totally fell apart and ended up getting passed on the last lap before he staggered off the track with 200 left.
- Turkey's Fadime Suna Wins In Her Debut 10K
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- summer tempo question
- SUMMER OF ANTONIO
- Early morning runs
- What's the point of a down week?
- NY Times: Cross Training May Not Help You Get Faster But Weight Training Might "You can maintain your cardiovascular capacity by cross-training, but it is extremely difficult to maintain your performance when you rely on cross-training. This is because you are violating the principle of the specificity of training."
*Look Who's Talking China Scolds West, Says London May Not Be Fit To Host Olympics After Riots Great comment from one reader: "It takes an oppressive police force, underaged athletes and serious air pollution to
host a successful Olympics. Thanks for the feedback, China - Crash Fu."
*South Africa Will Not Bid For 2020 Olympics But say, "We will certainly go for 2024." So without SA, that leaves Istanbul, Madrid, Rome and Tokyo as the confirmed bidders, with Doha still deciding whether or not to bid.
Looking Way Ahead Post-Worlds
*Milcah Chemos Going For Steeplechase WR At Final Diamond League Meet In Brussels, Belgium Sept. 16th IAAF It will be Sept. 16th in Brussels, Belgium. Her PR is 9:08.57 and the WR is 8:58.81 set by Gulnara Samitova-Galkina at the 2008 Olympics. Chemos also says that she thinks Kenya can sweep the steeplechase at World Champs.
Our Sport's History Is A Selling Point
- 75 Years Ago: Jesse Owens Made History At Berlin Olympics Article by ESPN's Jeremy Schaap, who has a book on Owens and the 1936 Olympics.
- 57 Years Ago: Roger Bannister Beat John Landy In Mile Of The Century
- 75 Years Ago: LetsRun Legend John Woodruff Won 800m Gold For America
NCAA Star Kirani James Gets World Leader In 400 In London (More London Coverage Here)
Paula Speaks On Berlin (Story Here)
Poll: Vote Online For The Bowerman Award As of now, Washington State's Jeshua Anderson is winning for the men and Texas A&M's Jessica Beard for the women.
LRC Contest Recap - The Greatness Of You
LRC USA Nationals Contest Recap As usual we had a couple of ringers come out on top in our contest. Our winner is in the elite of the elite of LetsRun.com, as not only has he been to watch the World Championships and Olympic Trials, he has a @runner.org email address, and a real-life wife. Our runner-up was a state champion in high school and has started a post-collegiate group in Utah.
A Must-Watch (We're Not Sure How We Missed This) - Sammy Wanjiru's Mom Theatens Others With A Machete 2 Weeks Ago (More Here)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Boston *Recap Analysis: *JK On The Wind *Wejo On Desiree *Rojo *London And Boston *Video Highlights
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Universal Sports Back To Top