LRC LRC Goes To Kenya - Post #4: A Thurday Fartlek Run The must-see event in Iten is the Thursday fartlek run where hundreds of runners give it their best in an attempt to rise to the top. Get inside access thanks to the family of 2010 ING NYC Marathon champ Edna Kiplagat and see a couple hundred studs whittled down to just 14 including 58:59/2:04:57er Wilson Kipsang. Learn about the unknown guy who 'won' the workout and along the way meet the "Founder of the Marathon" in Kenya. Plus learn how Kiplagat went from 2:50 to 2:20 in the marathon in just 13 months. All of that plus the Kenyan studs do what the American studs often won't do - admit that they religiously check out our website. LRC is truly world famous as the Kenyan studs say that they visit LRC. *LRC Fartlek Photos + Photos of Lornah's Training Camp *Fartlek Video *MB Talk About Fartlek Run
After going old school in Episode 3 with famed coach Gags, in Episode 4, USA Worlds steeplechaser team member Delilah DiCrescenzo gets fashionable at a Puma photo shoot in the Big Apple. Delilah will be representing the USA next month at the World Championships and Puma is chronicling her journey.*Episode 1: Delilah Makes Worlds *Episode 2: Training in NYC *Episode 3: Legendary Coach Gags More @Puma Running On Facebook
Distance News of Note
Miracle: Kaki and Rudisha to Square off at 800m in London BEFORE Worlds
Recommended Read: US Marathoner Brad Poore Helping Caroline Kirui And Husband Weldon Get a Chance at Running in America Lengthy article on the struggles to make it as a pro runner.
Jeff See, Ryan Foster Running Ryan Shay Mile This Weekend
Tuesday's Lignano Italian Action *Results
- IAAF Recap of Lignano Italy Meet: Uceny 1:58.37, US Men's Relay Impresses, Women Don't
- The Morgan Uceny Show Continues!!! - UCENY 1:58:37 Win @ Lignano The American continued her fine 2011 with a win over Alice Schmidt as 5 American women broke 2 at this meet, which in the distance races is almost an American all-comers meet. In her 3rd 5,000 in 11 days, Amy Hastings missed qualifying for Worlds again as she ran 15:29 and Angela Bizzarri was much worse (16:10). Race video on right.
- KD 1:44.45 He dominated with a 1.5-second victory over David Torrence. Time for KD to test himself in a Diamond League meet. Plus Dorian Ulrey, Jordan McNamara, Rob Myers and AJ Nation in the 1,500.
- Oscar Pistorius Runs 45.07 Olympic qualifier A huge PR. A great human interet story, but Oscar P should not be running at the Worlds. MBoard thread here.
- It's Official - Teddy Tamgho Out Of World Champs With Broken Ankle Check out the picture of him wearing a NY Yankees hat.
- Steph Twell Writes About Her Comeback From Her Broken Ankle
Random News Of Note
- Kenyan Trials Champions David Rudisha And Silas Kiplagat Racing In Monaco DL Friday
- IAAF Considering World Relays Championships Meet Would include everything from 4 x 1 to 4 x 8.
- World Marathon Majors Renaming Their Trophy After Sammy Wanjiru
- Police Dismiss Complaint Against Head Of Australia Athletics Made By Former Commonwealth Games 400m Champ John Steffensen
Want Some Bad Training Advice? Read This From The NY Times An exercise physiologist says there's no benefit to running on trails opposed to roads and that he "could not find any scientific evidence that a softer surface is beneficial to runners." We say try running a hard 8-mile tempo on the trails this week, then repeat the same workout on the road next week and see which one trashed your legs more. That's all the "scientific evidence" you need. Trail running has many benefits and Alberto Salazar would agree.
Doping In The Courts:
*NY Times: Lance Amstrong's Lawyers Accuse Government Of Damaging Lance's Reputation By Leaking Confidential Information To The Media New York Times
*Court Appeal Starts For Greek Sprinters Who Where Found Guilty Of Perjury After Faking Motorcycle Accident When They Missed A Doping Test
Looking Ahead To July 26th Giro Podistico Internazionale Di Castelbuono Some of Italy's best distance runners will go up against Ryan Hall, Boston Marathon Champ Geoffrey Mutai, London Marathon Champ Emmanuel Mutai and NYC Marathon Champ Gebre Gebremariam.
Final Day Kenyan World Champs Trials *Race Highlights Video *Photo Gallery *Partial Results Pre-Race: LRC Kipyego Speaks *LRC Kibet Speaks *LRC Iten Photos *LRC Sylvia Kibet Photos
Silas Kiplagat Dominates 1,500 To Win In 3:31.39 Commonwealth Games champ Silas Kiplagat won in a blistering 3:31.39. He actually had time to turn and wag his finger at the Olympic champion Asbel Kiprop, who was 2nd
Women's 5,000: The woman LetsRun spent a day with in Iten two weeks ago, Worlds silver medallist Sylvia
Kibet, ran 15:38.5 to beat 10k world champ Linet Masai (15:40.5) (and destroy the belief in a LetsRun jinx in the process?), as world junior 3k champ Mercy Cherono was 3rd in 15:42.4. In the women's 1,500, Olympic champ Nancy Jebet Langat was upset as she was 3rd behind Helen Obiri and Joyce Chepkirui. 800: David Rudisha won with a "relaxed" 1:43.76 ahead of African bronze medallist Jackson Kivuva (1:44.40) and Olympic/Worlds silver medallist Alfred
Kirwa Yego (1:44.76). Commonwealth Games champ Boaz Lalang was a disappointing 8th in 1:46.88. Olympic/Worlds silver medallist Janeth Jepkosgei won women's 800 in 1:59.34. Men's 5k: "Junior" phenom Isaiah Kiplangat Koech won in 13:21.31 with Beijing finalist Thomas Longosiwa a big surprise 2nd in 13:22.89. Olympic/Worlds silver medallist Eliud Kipchoge was 3rd (13:23.48) and given the wild card to his 5th successive
Worlds. DL star Milcah Chemos won women's steeple. And showing the pure distance running focus in Kenya, no Kenyan field event athletes made the World Champs squad. More: *LRC Kibet Pre-Race Workout/Interview *LRC Kibet Photos
Surprise Winner Peter Kirui Beats Out Loaded Field In Kenyan Trials 10k Peter Kirui ran 27:32.1 to beat out half marathon champ Wilson Kiprop (27:32.9) and Osaka 2007 bronze winner Martin Mathahi (27:38.6). Boston Marathon champ Geoffrey Mutai was 4th in 27:38.9. *MB: 27:11 man Bidan Karoki had 100m lead at 9k, but fainted and collapsed
*MB: Silas Kiplagat runs incredible 3:31.39 at altitude with no pacers to win Kenyan Trials
*OlympicSteeplechase Champ Brimin Kipruto Wins Trials In 8:20.19 Commonwealth Games/Defending National Champ Richard Mateelong was 2nd in 8:21.39 as Abraham Chirchir was 3rd with 8:22.34 and former world junior champ Willy Komen 4th in 8:22.63.
*Olympic Champs Asbel Kiprop And Nancy Jebet Lagat Both Upset In Kenyan Trials 1,500, But Make WC Team
*Daily Nation: As Expected, Rudisha Easily Books Ticket
Day 2 Of Kenyan Trials And Preview Of Saturday's Action *Women's 10k/Recap Video
Vivian Cheruiyot Holds Off OTC's Sally Kipeygo To Win Kenyan Trials 10k Vivian Cheruiyot ran 31:55.8 to Sally Kipeygo's 31:57.8 for the win and says she plans on doing the 10k/5k double at World Champs. Prisca Jepleting was 3rd in 31:59.1, Pauline
Korikwiang 4th (31:59.5), and Boston Marathon 3rd placer Sharon Cherop 5th (32:03.0), as Linet Masai ended up skipping the 10k to run the 5k on Saturday (as defending world champ, she qualifies anyway). *AP Article *MB: Sally Kipyego makes Kenyan
LRC Kipyego Speaks To LRC From Kenya *Video Here
*IAAF Recap Day 2: Kipyego Says She Was Not Going To Miss Worlds Team "even if it means taking me to hospital after"
*Reuters: David Rudisha Wins His Semis Heat In 1:45.3 As Asbel Kiprop Wins His 1,500 Semi In 3:39.5 Ahead Of Daniel Komen (3:39.6)
LRC LRC Goes To Kenya - Post #3: A Workout With World Championships Silver Medallist Sylvia Kibet The 2009 World Championships silver medallist at 5,000 has only run 15:11 this year but is confident heading into the 5,000 at the Kenyan Trials, which come after the 10,000. We know why, as we caught up with the Renato Canova-coached athlete in Kenya and watched her do a 2,000-1,600-1,200-1,000-800-600-400-200-100 workout after rains prevented her from doing a 10km tempo run with an incredible assortment of marathoners and half marathoners coached by Gabriele Nicola. Hear from Kibet, learn how Kibet decided on what workout to do while Canova was absent, watch the 600 from the workout and even see pictures of the house that Kibet lives in and compare it to what US stars live in. *LRC Sylvia Kibet Photos
LRC *Video From Track
LRC The Week That Was In Running: Is Uceny #1? Will Centro EVER Run Faster, Alberto Debunks LRC Training? And More ... We analyze Morgan Uceny's win a little bit more, go deep into the statistical archive to present some crazy stats to ponder the unthinkable: Will Matt Centrowitz will ever run faster than he did last week?, praise Tyler Mulder, take a trip down memory lane and relive Alan Webb's Paris victory from 2007, and along the way in light
of Alberto Salazar's
comments about Mo Farah's
training, we try to defend the LetsRun.com training approach. Plus we
introduce you to the most amazing HS track and field coaching staff in the country - one that features 3 Olympic
LRC Rojo Goes To Kenya - Post #1: Sammy Wanjiru Was Not Murdered LetsRun.com co-founder Robert Johnson has returned from 2+ weeks in Kenya and will be recapping his trip over the next week or so. Today, he reveals what he learned about Sammy W's death and provides video proof as to how in Kenya one can easily get locked into their own bedroom.
LRC 2011 Monaco Diamond League Is Going To Be Special For US Distance Fans - Preliminary Start Lists Never before have more than 2 Americans broken 13:00 in the same race, but Bernard Lagat, Galen Rupp, Chris Solinsky and Matt Tegenkamp are all entered in the 5,000. Can 3 or 4 do it? Andrew Wheating is in the men's 1,500. Nick Symmonds and KD will face world record holder David Rudisha in the men's 800. Plus off-event entries like Abubaker Kaki in the 1,500 and Shalane Flanagan in the 1,500. *MB Discussion Here
2 Recommended Reads
- Recommended Read: Meet Gareth Warburton, a 1:46.47 800-metres runner, who epitomises the never-day-die (sic) spirit of an athlete A great article about a guy who trains every day, twice a day four times a week, works a part-time job, earns very little but dreams of being the best in the world.
- Olympic Historians Please Read - The Event That Inspired The Olympics Celebrates Its 125th Anniversary Apparently, we owe the Olympics to a guy named William Brookes. *AP Article On Wenlock
RRCA Announces 2011 Roads Scholar Class Megan Hogan, Bobby Mack, Meghan Armstrong, Lex Williams, Megan Duwell and Tyler McCandless all get grants.
Paris Diamond League *Results *Live Thread *Recap *Race Videos *Photos
LRC Recap: American Men Get It Done In 1,500, Semenya Wins Bizarre 800, Flanagan Just Misses American Record, Bolt Entertains And Can A Frenchman Win Worlds In The Steeple? Usain Bolt showed up and entertained, there was a thriller in the men's hurdles between David Oliver and Dayron Robles, an upset in the women's 100m, and it's officially time for Jeremy Wariner to panic. That's probably what you're not most interested in. In the distances, the American men got the job done in the 1,500m, Shalane Flanagan just missed the American record at 5,000m, Caster Semenya won a bizarre 800m, and a Frenchman may be the favorite at Worlds in the steeplechase.
SI Where Is He Now? - Roger Bannister
Sports Illustrated Interview With Roger Bannister Talking Mostly About What He's Done Since Running The First Sub-4 Minute Mile Also interesting to hear what the two friends who paced him went on to do. Sir Christopher Chataway, now 80, set the WR in the 5k in 1954; Chris Brasher, who died in 2003, went on to win gold in the steeplechase in the '56 Games before becoming a founder of the London Marathon. *Podcast With Roger Bannister
- Athletics Kenya Reverses Course and Drops Nixon Chepseba from Worlds Team in Favor of Dan Komen AK wants you to believe Chepseba's original inclusion was because of a "typing error". We think it's the right decision but imagine if John Chaplin could pick the team in the US how political it would get?
- Paul Koech Asks Athletics Kenya to Put Him on Worlds Team The steeplechaser does not run well at altitude and never has been top 2 in Kenya.
- Paul Tergat Runs With Price Waterhouse Coopers Exec to Raise Money for Special Needs School
Blade Runner Getting Attention *Message Board Thread
Blade Runner Reacts to Qualifying for Worlds BBC LRC will take the unpopular position and say it, "He shouldn't be allowed to run at Worlds". His lack of legs give him a huge advantage. But that doesn't matter because people write stuff like this: Guardian Writer: "The prosthetics are clunky, heavy, and appear almost homemade – crudely cut pieces of carbon fibre bolted on to wooden boards, "
- Roger Black Says Blade Runner Shouldn't Be Allowed to Compete, Iwan Thomas Says He Should
- The Power Of You: Australian Journalist and LRC Visitor Mike Hurst Points Out Some Scientists Say Oscar Pistorius Has a Huge Advantage With His Fiber Legs The scientists made their conclusion 2 years ago, but you all highlighted it in this thread, so it gets in the newspaper in Australia.
- Oops USATF Screwed Up Club Championship Scoring and Announces a Tie on Men's Side
- Got $30k Under Your Mattress: Go to London 2012 With Bruce Jenner, USATF and NASDAQ CEO
- Stephanie Hightower Becomes CEO..... of Columbus Urban League We had to laugh when we typed "Columbus Urban League" into google and it suggested "Columbus Urban League Scandal" (on a completely unrelated matter).
A Slow News Day
- Diamond League Returns Friday In Monaco Track Showdown Coming: Aussie Rivals Gregson Vs. Riseley At 1,500 In Monaco There will be bigger guys like Silas Kiplagat but T&F needs more rivalries, so we'll promote this one.
- Former Foot Locker Champ Julia Stamps Runs 1:18 Half Marathon, Wins Magnum Of Wine Christian Hesch got the magnum on the men's side after running 1:04:53.
- Indy Track To Be Saved Sans Stands - Won't Be Able To Host USAs Anymore Amazing that the city where USATF is headquartered was going to destroy the track to make room for an NCAA parking lot.
Bizarre News/A Bad Day For Hurdlers
- WikiLeaks Cable Reveals ... Some Bad Dudes From Jamaica Using Penn Relays To Illegally Get Into US
- Jamaican 110 Record Holder Hurdler's Dad Is Chopped To Death
- South African Hurdler's Lock Is Smashed- Clothes Stolen On Way To Italy
- Witness Says Linford Christie Drove On Wrong Side Of Road & Slammed Into Taxi
European Juniors Are Coming *Entrants
- European Jr. Men's Preview
- European Jr. Women's Preview
- An Interesting Look Back - How Did The European Jr. Competitors From 2005 Fare As Pros Worth noting that Poland's Marcin Lewandowski has moved down from the 1,500.
Assorted US News
Lukas Verzbicas Sets Sights On Olympic TriathlonThis article does not seem credible. This thread dissects it.
- Oregon's NCAA Champ, Anne Kesselring, Was 5th In The 800 In 2:02.97 At Euro U23 Champs She represented Germany.
- Bershawn "Batman" Jackson: "You Have To Have Guts To Do What I Do"
- Recap From Final Day Of ESPN Rise Games Barbados' Anthonio Mascoll wins 800 in meet record of 1:50.65.
- Team USA Named For Jr. Pan Am Championships
Padova Italy Meet
2011 Padova Italy Results Looking at US distance races, Khavedis Robinson won the 800 in 1:46.74, as David Torrence was 3rd (1:47.63), Matt Centrowitz 4th (1:47.77) and Mark Wieczorek 7th (1:48.30). The women's 800 had Molly Beckwith in 3rd (2:00.07), Phoebe Wright 4th (2:00.20), Erica Moore 6th (2:01.09), Jenni Barringer Simpson 8th, Christin Wurth-Thomas 9th, Januszewski
Hermansson 10th, and Shannon Rowbury 11th (2:06.57). Alice Schmidt won the women's 1500 in 4:08.09, as Clement Moser Treniere was 2nd (4:09.04), Gabrielle Anderson was 4th (4:10.15), Brianna Felnagle 5th (4:10.48), Katie Follet 7th (4:11.95), Ether Kampe 8th (4:12.09), and Maggie Vessey 11th (4:17.87). *MB: Centro 1:47.77 *MB:
*IAAF Recap Padova: Jamaica's Nesta Carter Wins 100m In 10.10; Olympic Champ/WR Holder Dayron Robles Wins 110 Hurdles Olympic champ/WR holder Dayron Robles wins 110 hurdles. Cuba's Yusneysi Santiusi wins 800 in 1:58.92.
*"Blade Runner" Misses World Champs "A" Standard Again, Will Have Only One More Chance To Get It His best time is 45.61 and he ran 46.65 here, but the "A" standard is 45.25.
Heusden Heat We Missed: Huesden
1,500 B Heat University of Minnesota's Ben Blankenship won in 3:37.76 ahead of AJ Acosta (3:38.77) in 2nd, John Jefferson 3rd (3:39.39), and Garrett Heath
7th (3:41.06). *Results
*2011 Heusden Track & Field Results Highlights from a North American perspective are as follows: 800: Tyler Mulder 1:46.05 for 2nd; 1,500: Will Leer 3:37.42 finishing ahead of Lopez Lomong as Nate Brannen runs 3:42; Men's steeple: Ben Bruce wins over Kyle Alcorn in 8:26; 5,000: Andrew Bumbalough 13:21.55 and Adrien Blincoe 13:24.82; Women's 5,000: Amy Hastings misses A standard yet again by hardly anything (15:15.56), meaning Angela Bizzarri won't be going to Worlds as of today, and Kim Smith runs 15:14.02 and Sara Hall 15:45.69. *Race Videos From 1,500, 5k & Steeple *MB Talk: Heusden stream tomorrow?
*Yelena Isinbayeva Wins Heusden Pole Vault In 4.60m In Her First Outdoor Meet Since 2009 IAAF
Euro Under-23 Champs, CAC Games & Other Results *Euro U23 Full Results
- U23 Champs Ukraine's Sheryf El-Sheryf Wins Euro U23 TJ In Astonishing 17.72m This puts him 2nd in the world this year behind Teddy Tamgho and ahead of Phillips Idowu! It was a huge 15-centimeter PR for him and if he can do this consistently, then the TJ competition at World Champs just became a 3-way event.
- Recap Of Final Day Of Euro U23 Champs: Holly Bleasdale Wins Pole Vault In 4.55m Overall, UK won 6 gold medals.
Teddy Tamgho Injured At European U-23 Champs/Other Results
- France's Indoor TJ WR Holder Teddy Tamgho Injured And Could Be Out For Season He hurt his ankle during warmup and said: "It hurts a lot. It looks serious but I hope the season is not over for me."
- Recap Of UK Performances At U23 Champs: Jack Green Leads GB 1-2 In 400 Hurdles As Nigel Levine Won 400m Gold
- U23 Champs Day 3: Likourgos-Stefanos Tsakonas Beats GB's James Alaka To Win 200m Gold
- Ireland's Anthony Lieghio Finishes 6th In 800m Final (1:48.77) At U23 Champs As Poland's Adam Kszczot Wins In 1:46.71
- England Athletics Champs: Laura Turner Wins Women's 100 In 11.23 As Harry Aikines-Aryeetey Wins Men's In Wind-Aided 10.08
LRC LRC Goes To Kenya - Post #2: Tuesday Track Workout In Iten + Sally Kipyego And Jake Robertson Unplugged We try to bring you insight into the running culture of Iten, Kenya where maybe 1,000 aspiring pros are trying to make it as a runner. At the crowded dirt track, we caught up with the most decorated female athlete in NCAA history - Sally Kipyego - who has returned to Kenya to give herself the best odds of making it to Daegu. Kipyego herself was stunned by the scene in Iten as there are so many aspiring pros. One of them is Kiwi Jake Robertson, who hopes to run 13:05 later this month, and we caught up with him as well. During the day, we saw school children running to school and full-time runners running in shoes with holes in them that cost $16. *Photos From Kamariny Stadium In Iten, Kenya June 28, 2011
Birmingham DL Sunday *Results *Yahoo Photos
LRC Recap: Morgan Uceny (& Mo Farah) Do It Again As Rupp Takes Merga's Scalp!!! The Birmingham Diamond League meet did not disappoint, as Morgan Uceny did something an American hadn't done in 25+ years and training partners Mo Farah and Galen Rupp impressed
at 5,000, both outkicking the reigning World Cross-Country champion,
with Rupp also getting a PR in the process, as Farah's
54-second last lap got him the win. Plus wins from Abubaker Kaki, Asafa Powell and Phillips Idowu. American fans, repeat after us. It's okay, we swear: "American Morgan Uceny is currently the best women's 1,500-meter runner on the planet."
More USATF Nationals *Men 10k Recap *W10k Recap *M5k *W5k *W1500 *M1500 *Interviews *10k Photo Gallery
800m: Alysia Goes Wire-To-Wire
updated Montano dominated the strong field, as she won wire-to-wire, with 5 women going sub-2:00. Maggie Vessey was sub-1:59 in second and former US champ Alice Schmidt
was third. Recap, anlaysis, race video, results, and post-race comments from athletes.
LRC Women's 1,500m: The Thrill Of Victory And The Agony Of Defeat Christin Wurth-Thomas missed the World Championships by .01 in the most agonizing way possible. She led for 1,400m and then completely ran out of steam in the last 100m, as Morgan Uceny dominated the star-studded field for the win with Jenny Simpson and an emotional Shannon Rowbury booking their tickets to Daegu. Recap, results, video, and interview.
LRC Women's 5,000m: Molly Huddle Impresses, Hastings And Bizzarri Continue The Mammoth Mojo Molly Huddle performed like an American record-holding heavy favorite by putting on an exhibition the last two laps to win her first outdoor title. Training partners Amy Hastings (2:27 marathon in March) and Angela Bizzarri both set PRs and continued their huge improvement at 5,000m. Recap, results, interviews, race video.
LRC Women's 10,000m: Shalane Flanagan Goes Wire-To-Wire Over Kara Goucher And Field Shalane Flanagan wasted no time in showing the field who was boss, as she opened up a lead on lap 1 she would never relinquish, although Kara Goucher stayed close throughout. Goucher had another impressive run post-pregnancy and is super-excited to be away from the marathon and running track. Jen Rhines got another WC team spot, while Desiree Davila continued her fine 2011 with a huge PR in 4th and Magdalena Boulet also had a big PR. Recap, analysis, interviews, results.
*WP: Kara Goucher Admits That The Marathon Might Not Be Her Event Right Now
Wind Or No Wind - 2:03:06 Is His Slowest Marathon
Moses Mosop And His 2:03:06 To Run 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Moses and famed coach Renato Canova toured the Chicago course and liked what they saw.
Time To Learn Some T&F History - 40 Years Ago, Jim Ryun & Marty Liquori Ran A Dream Mile In Philly & It More Than Lived Up To The Hype
- Recommended Read #1 NY Times: 40 Years Ago, Track Was At The "Front And Center" Of America's Consciousness, But Today We Are Indifferent (& Millrose's Move Proves It) 40 years ago, the US public was very much into the Dream Mile rivalry of Marty Liquori and Jim Ryun. "Forty years on, it's hard to imagine the average American giving a second thought to any track rivalry, never mind debating it on sports radio. That is probably why the move by Millrose, uptown and perhaps into obscurity, has been met with barely a shrug. It deserves better."
- Recommended Read #2 The 40th Anniversary Of The Dream Mile Between Marty Liquori & Jim Ryun Passes With Hardly A Whisper From The Media A couple of good quotes from Liquori: "I guess, as they say, things were a lot different in those days. There was no ESPN. Everyone watched the same events. It was a very focused thing for the nation to see that race. The buildup had been coming for two years ..." "Perhaps the thing that made it so unusual is sometimes big rivalries rarely live up to the buildup. They just don't pan out. But the two of us separated ourselves and literally sprinted almost all-out from 600 yards out."
"The Road Of Death"
Feature On Somali Runners Training Each Day On "Road Of Death" For London 2012 (Video) The video shows how some Somali athletes avoid gunfire each day to realize their dream of competing and winning at the 2012 Games. *LRC MB: Top Video on MSNBC Is Feature on Somali Runners Training Each Day on 'Road of Death' For London 2012
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
Morgan Uceny Show Continues
Recap Of Kenyan Trials: Silas Kiplagat Upsets Asbel Kiprop And Wags His Finger At Him
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
Video Of The Day: Asbel Kiprop Races A 400 In Kenya On A Dirt Track
Anyone Remember This From Paris 2007? Paris 2011 Videos Here
LRC Contest Recap - The Greatness Of You
LRC USA Nationals Contest Recap As usual we had a couple of ringers come out on top in our contest. Our winner is in the elite of the elite of LetsRun.com, as not only has he been to watch the World Championships and Olympic Trials, he has a @runner.org email address, and a real-life wife. Our runner-up was a state champion in high school and has started a post-collegiate group in Utah.
USAs In Review
LRC 2011 USATF Women's Nationals (Distance) In Review Which event represents America's best chance for a distance medal at Worlds? It's the same event an American led the world in 2010. Still stumped? You'll have to read the
article. We break down all the action, look at the very different fates of non-qualifiers Christin Wurth-Thomas and Anna Pierce, wonder if Kara Goucher can beat Shalane at Worlds, and even talk about coach Gags' commute and the reverse LetsRun.com jinx.
LRC USA Men's Nationals In Review Wejo puts Galen Rupp's 10k performance in perspective, talks about the stellar men's 5,000m, and break down all the distance action. Plus Dathan Ritzenhein, German Fernandez, Evan Jager and even Xavier Carter, Adam Nelson, and Adam Goucher just to get your attention.
Qualifying Controversy: If athletes do not hit the "A" standard, they are at the mercy of John Chaplin as to whether they get into the meet. We at LetsRun.com think the solution is simple - "A" qualifiers (and whoever else it's decided should get automatic entry, like recent champions) automatically get in the meet, then set field sizes in every event (just like US Open Tennis or Golf) with penalties for athletes scratching from their first event. More:
*Open Letter To USATF From Mark Misch Mark coaches at University of Colorado - Colorado Springs and says athletes not knowing whether they'll be in the meet each year is the biggest problem and is hurting the sport.
A Must-Watch (We're Not Sure How We Missed This) - Sammy Wanjiru's Mom Theatens Others With A Machete 2 Weeks Ago (More Here)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Boston *Recap Analysis: *JK On The Wind *Wejo On Desiree *Rojo *London And Boston *Video Highlights
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Universal Sports Back To Top