Kenyan Trials This Week
- Colm O'Connell Says Kenyan Trials Should Be Good Test For Rudisha
- Jake Robertson Passes On Chance To Be First Non-African To Run Kenyan Trials If you're not familiar with Jake, click here; he and his twin brother moved to Kenya 4 years ago at the age of 17 and haven't been back home since.
- 32-Year-Old Kenyan 400m Man Mark Mutai Hoping To Make His Mark
- "16"-Year-Old Leonard Kirwa, Who Ran 1:44.08 At World Youths, Was Only 3rd At Kenyan Trials
Episode 3 of the video series on Worlds steeplechaser Delilah Dicrescenzo of Hey Delilah fame is a real treat as we get some insight into her legendary coach Frank Gagliano. Gags, coach of legends Rich Kenah and Steve Holman, has always been old school, but now he's upped it a notch and drives his athletes 150-mile round trip to practice. *Episode 1 Here *Episode 2 *More @Puma Running On Facebook
International News Of Note
Japanese Worlds Team Announced And Sub-31:00 10k Runner Kayoko Fukushi Is Not On It
*Indian Officials Raid Sport Center Looking For Drugs
*Indian 400m Star Ashwini Akkunji Facing Ban After "B" Sample Positive For Roids
Doping Offenders Will Be Let Back Into European Meets
Ban On Former Drug Cheats At Major European Meets Lifted After Court Case This follows a court ruling in Switzerland forcing the Lausanne Diamond League meet to let in French 1,500 runner Hind Dehiba.
More From World Youth (Results) And Asian Championships
World Youth: IAAF Recap Last Day: Kenya's William Malel Sitonik Wins 3k In 7:40.10 He led from gun to tape and shattered Isiah Koech's previous Championship record of 7:51.51.
*US Medley Relay (100m, 200m, 300m, 400m) Wins Gold Set World Youth Record of 1:49.47.
*US's Ajee' Wilson Wins 800 In 2:02.64 "This is the best feeling of my life. It still hasn't sunk in yet that I'm the world champ." *MB: Ajee Wilson dominates 800m for GOLD, Amy Weissenbach 4th *Video Of Race
*IAAF Article On Kenya's Leonard Kirwa Konsecha, Who Set World Youth Best With 1:44.08 Will he break the "jinx" that no World Youth 800m champ has ever gone on to win a global medal in the senior division?
*UK's 200m Champ Desiree Henry Credits Coaching Of Mike McFarlane He also coached previous 200 champ and current UK rising star Jodie Williams.
Asian Champs: Liu Xiang Runs 13.22 To Win 110 Hurdles
*Asian Champs - Days Three and Four Results
*IAAF Recap Day 3: Qatari HJer Mutaz Essa Barshim Wins In 2.35m
Other: Turkey's Ahmet Arslan Wins 5th Straight European Mountain Running Champs
Madrid Results: Tyler Mulder Defeats Yuriy Borzakovskiy 1:45.10 win over Yuriy, who ran 1:43.99 last week. Jenny Simpson ran 4:07 in the 1,500 for fourth, as US World Championships team members Alice Schmidt (2:00.60 - 2nd) and Maggie Vessey (2:06.94 - 8th) competed in the 800.
*Justin Gatlin Wins Madrid 100m Over Fellow Drug Cheat Dwain Chambers Asked about the issues with former drug cheats being let into top European meets he said, "Right now if they put me on the moon I am going to race on the moon."
World Youth: "16"-Year-Old Runs World Youth Best 1:44.08 800m To Grab Gold, 2 Others Under 1:45 *MB Thread
*US's Nnenya Hailey Wins 400m Hurdles Gold
*Ryan Crouser Sets HS National Discus Record
*Jacko Gill Wins With Record-Breaking Throw "I had a break from school and I've just been training six or seven hours a day, that's all I do. Plenty of fast bench presses and getting really fast, instead of that big typical strong shot putter build."
*Japanese Results Day 3
*A Look At Ireland's Up-And-Coming Distance Runners
*Britain's Louisa James Wins Hammer Gold
Asian Champs: IAAF Recap Day 2 Asian Champs: China's Su Bingtian Wins Controversial 100m After False Start Issue
*Bahrain Sweeps 5,000 Races At Asian Champs
*Lawrence Okoye Smashes UK Discus Record And World Age-19 Best Knocks off controversial Perris Wilkins, who has been accused of competing with underweight implements and banned for doping.
*Caster Semenya Reveals Her Agony Over Sex Tests In TV Documentary Which Airs Tomorrow
*IOC President Says Would Be "Delighted" If US Bid For 2020 Olympics
*19-Year-Old Pole Vaulter Holly Bleasdale Is One Of Only Four Britons With A Top 5 World Rank
*Former Rivals Kip Keino And Ron Clarke Reunite For Planning Of 2018 Commonweatlh Games
Paris Diamond League On Friday *Results *Live Thread *Recap *Race Videos *Photos
LRC Recap: American Men Get It Done In 1,500, Semenya Wins Bizarre 800, Flanagan Just Misses American Record, Bolt Entertains And Can A Frenchman Win Worlds In The Steeple? Usain Bolt showed up and entertained, there was a thriller in the men's hurdles between David Oliver and Dayron Robles, an upset in the women's 100m, and it's officially time for Jeremy
Wariner to panic. That's probably what you're not most interested in. In the distances, the American men got the job done in the 1,500m, Shalane Flanagan just missed the American record at 5,000m, Caster Semenya won a bizarre 800m, and a Frenchman may be the favorite at Worlds in the steeplechase.
- Centro's Time Puts Him 5th All Time On US Under 23 Years Old List Behind Alan Webb and Jim Ryun, among others.
- France's Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad Wins Paris Steeplechase In 8:02.09 Just missed European record of 8:01.18.
1 Must Read/2 Recommended Reads & Two Pretty Good Ones
- A Must Read Craig Mottram: Back In Business (In A More Balanced Way) Please do yourself a favor and ignore that sentiment and read this piece.
- RR #1 Like Mottram, Zola Budd Loves Competing But Says Maintaining Balance Is Key The "villain" of the '84 Games is still enjoying competing at age 45.
- Not Quite As Good, But Still Pretty Interesting:
A Brief Chat With US Steeple Champion Billy Nelson Nelson is the rare Colorado alum that has gone back to the genius of Coach Wetmore after initially seeking a different setup. Nelson struggled at the interval-based OTC but loves Wetmore and the long run.
- A Long Chat With Desiree Davila She's still not satisfied even after two PRs in Eugene and a 2nd in Boston.
SI Where Is He Now? - Roger Bannister
Sports Illustrated Interview With Roger Bannister Talking Mostly About What He's Done Since Running The First Sub-4 Minute Mile Also interesting to hear what the two friends who paced him went on to do. Sir Christopher Chataway, now 80, set the WR in the 5k in 1954; Chris Brasher, who died in 2003, went on to win gold in the steeplechase in the '56 Games before becoming a founder of the London Marathon. *Podcast With Roger Bannister
Action This July 4th Weekend
Peachtree Monday: Sammy Kitwara (28:05) Wins In Sprint Finish As Ben True (28:28) Is Top American *AJC Recap In really hot conditions, Matthew Kisorio took the race out in a crazy 8:38 only to be outkicked by Kitwara, who picked up $25,000 as he got a $10,000 PRRO bonus. Werknesh
Kidane won the
women's race in 31:22. Ryan Hall was way back at 29:16. *MB Thread *American Results *On-Demand Race Video Is Here *USATF
*Atlanta Journal Constitution Article On America's Best Taking On The World's Best "It's part of the Peachtree's charm. People won't know the people who win or their name, but they'll know that it attracts some of the best talent in the world." How about trying to educate them? *Peachtree To Be Hottest Since 2006
1776? The Footrace To Be The First Signer On July 4, 1776
Russia Sunday: Borzakovskiy Is Back Yuriy Borzakovskiy ran 1:43.99 to get the win over 1:42 guy Boaz Lalang. It was the first 1:43 for Yuriy since 2009 and the first sub-1:45 for Lalang this year.
*Tiffany Townsend & Queen Harrison Led 1-2 Finish For US In 200m And 100m Hurdles
Japan: World Half Marathon Champ Florence Kiplagat Wins Sapporo Half In 70:29 In Tough Conditions Meanwhile, a Japan-based Kenyan won the men's race for the 17th consecutive year - Cyrus Njui (61:47). *Japan Running News Recap Of Hot Sapporo Half
Victoria TC: Khadevis Robinson Wins 800 In 1:45.85 As Loxsom Is 2nd (1:46.71) And Brannen Is 3rd (1:46.89) Sac State's Lea Wallace PRs at 4:10.77. C. Smith in 800 as well. *Victoria Results
Pre-Race: Canadian 800m Great Gary Reed Getting Retirement Dinner And Race Named After Him At Victoria Track Classic
Ireland: Nick Willis Tunes Up For Paris With 1-Second Victory (3:40.0) Over Will Leer At 60th Cork City Games (Results Only)
Harry Jerome: Former NCAA Champ Andrew Ellerton Goes 1:45 For First Time To Defeat Cas Loxsom The 1:45.09 was a PR by over a second. Props to Ellerton for sticking with it.
*Results Nate Brannen 3:36 1,500 Win, Malindi Elmore 4:07 1,500 (Kara Goucher 4:11), Dylan Armstrong in shot put, Perdita Felicien in 100 hurdles.
Shutoff Exists For Jenny Meadows: World Championships Bronze Medallist Hasn't Slept In Same Bed As Her Husband Since March Altitude tents apparently have a major downside to them.
No Post-Nuptial Shutoff For Paula In this Q&A with the Guardian, she says she and her husband Gary have sex "as often as we want." Plus she talks about less important things like the Olympics.
The BBC's Tom Fordyce Gets Random Drug Tested Like An Athlete And Writes About It "I have had my genitals examined at short range by a man I have only just shaken hands with."
Lausanne Diamond League *Results *Photos *Recap/Videos
LRC USA's Morgan Uceny Dominates 1,500 Asafa Powell winning the 100m in a world-leading 9.78 is almost expected (video here), but maybe Americans should get used to Morgan Uceny winning Diamond League races, as the newly-minted US champ easily ran away from the field in Lausanne the last 100m to get the biggest international win of her career. David Rudisha dominated the men's 800 and the men's 5k came down to a sprint. Distance recap, results, and video.
USATFs In The Books *$20,011 Prediction Contest Login Here *Results *Race Videos *10k Photo Gallery *LRC Post-Race Interviews
Post-Nationals News: *Chalk Up Another Victory For Track Town, USA The Eugene newspaper is always going to say that. Lananna interview here.
*Oklahoma Sprinter Mookie Salaam Gives Up Final Year And Turns Pro
LRC Men's 800m: Nick Symmonds Makes It Four In A Row updated Ladies and gentleman, don't let the recent results by upstart Robby Andrews or veteran Khadevis Robinson fool you; Nick Symmonds showed he's the best 800m man in America, as he got the win over Khadevis Robinson and the gutsy Charles Jock, while Andrews came up short in last. Recap, Race video, results, and post-race comments from athletes.
*Without Coach Or Sponsor, Wieczorek Makes USA 800m Final
*Sunday Distance Recap From RRW
LRC Men's 1,500m: Matt Centrowitz Jr. Pulls Away From Bernard Lagat Bernard Lagat pulled up on Matt Centrowitz Jr. with 50 meters to go and then the 21-year-old did the unthinkable - he pulled away from Lagat for the win. Pre-race favorite Andrew Wheating was fourth and was emotional afterwards when Lagat told him he giving up his 1,500m spot at Worlds. Recap, reaction, results and race video.
*Washington Post Article On Centro Jr Stunning Bernard Lagat In 1,500
LRC Men's Steeple: Billy Nelson's Return To Oregon Is Successful Now back training under collegiate coach Mark Wetmore, Nelson appears to have refound the form that took him to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, as he came from behind to get the win over Daniel Huling.
LRC Men's 5,000m: Bernard Lagat's 3:57.80 Close Wins A Thriller Over Chris Solinsky And Galen Rupp Track fans got a treat Friday night as Bernard Lagat, Galen Rupp and Chris Solinsky squared off and the race exceeded the pre-race hype. Chris Solinsky
closed the last mile (1,600) in 3:58.5 and was beaten by an incredible Bernard Lagat.
3 guys indicated they may get a rematch July 22th in Monaco, plus Chris Solinsky addressed the message board doubters, and Lagat talked about the 1,500m final and going sub-12:50. Recap, results, interviews, race video.
*LRC Friday's 800m Semis: All the Favorites Advance And KD Asks For Some Energy From His Fans In The Final KD looked great in his semifinal, but his style points will not carry over into the final.
*LRC Women's Steeple Prelims: Sara Hall Makes Final On Time
LRC Men's 10,000m: Galen Rupp Closes Out Matt Tegenkamp With 1:52.5 Final 800m The men's 10,000m may have become a men's 1,000m on Thursday night, but we're
not sure how the
outcome could have been any different as Galen Rupp, sporting a black mask for much of the race, closed in an incredible 1:52.5 to defeat Matt Tegenkamp - yes, that Matt Tegenkamp, who doesn't run the 10k. American record holder Chris Solinsky did not run and he'll face Bernard Lagat AND Galen Rupp today in a stellar 5,000m. Recap, analysis, video interviews.
*Nike Might Need A Slogan For Galen Rupp's Mask Oregonian
*Rupp On Walking Around Eugene With Mask: "Whenever I went into a store, it looked like I was going to rob them." Apparently he wears it traveling to and around before the race as well; not just during it.
Does Moses Mosop's 30K WR Bring The 2:02 Marathon Any Nearer? www.sportsscientists.com
Tragic News: Tim Danielson (Sub-4 Runner In HS) Allegedly Kills Wife/Survives Suicide Attempt LetsRun.com has learned that Tim Danielson, the 2nd US high school runner to go sub-4 in the mile, has allegedly killed his wife as part of a murder-suicide attempt that wasn't completed, as the authorities got to Danielson before he had killed himself. *Update: Danielson Arrested On Suspicion Of Murder
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
Legends Of The Sport
- Matt Fitzgerald Looks At Haile Gebrselassie's Real Age: Is He 44? No hard evidence on Haile's actual age in the article, but he indicates (and we believe) he's over 40, as do some of you.
- 75 Years Later, Pittsburgh Still Celebrating Olympic 800m Hero John Woodruff If you're not familiar with Woodruff, start with our homepage the day he died.
- North County Times Looks At American Legend Steve Scott, Who Set American Record In Mile 30 Years Ago Monday
- Ron Clarke And Kip Keino Reunite In Australia
- Morgan Uceny Pleased With Her Two European Wins South Bend Tribune
- Brits Impressing Over The Weekend: 19-Year-Old British Discus Thrower Lawrence Okoye Is #3 In The World, Dai Greene In Hurdles Independent
- Sally Pearson's 12.48 Australian Record Has Her Thinking Gold In Daegu
- Teddy Tamgho Jumps Poorly But Signs A Bunch Of Autographs In Birmingham Reuters
- Denise Lewis Urged Jenny Meadows To Beat World's Best
Birmingham DL Sunday *Results *Yahoo Photos
LRC Recap: Morgan Uceny (& Mo Farah) Do It Again As Rupp Takes Merga's Scalp!!! The Birmingham Diamond League meet did not disappoint, as Morgan Uceny did something an American hadn't done in 25+ years and training partners Mo Farah and Galen Rupp impressed
at 5,000, both outkicking the reigning World Cross-Country champion,
with Rupp also getting a PR in the process, as Farah's
54-second last lap got him the win. Plus wins from Abubaker Kaki, Asafa Powell and Phillips Idowu. American fans, repeat after us. It's okay, we swear: "American Morgan Uceny is currently the best women's 1,500-meter runner on the planet."
- Asafa Powell Wins 100 In 9.91 Over Fellow Jamaicans Nesta Carter & Michael Frater Afterwards he calls Bolt out, saying, "At the worlds, I'm definitely going to win."
- IAAF Recap Non-Distance Results Australia's Olympic silver medallist Sally Pearson sets world lead in 100m hurdles with 12.48 seconds. Andreas Thorkildsen set world lead in the jav with 88.30m.
- UK's Phillips Idowu Beats A Very Inconsistent Teddy Tamgho In TJ Idowu won with 17.54m. Tamgho jumped a disappointing 16.74m for 5th after fouling 3 jumps, despite the fact that last month he beat Idowu in Lausanne with 17.91m and he is the indoor WR holder.
*Teddy Tamgho Might Have Lost The TJ, But He Won Some Fans As He Was Very Popular With The Crowd He stays upbeat, saying, "I'm not worried about today. I'm close to doing something amazing. I just have to wait. It was good for Phillips to win today in his home, but I am in good shape."
- UK's Dai Green Wins Birmingham 400 Hurdles In 48.20 Over Bershawn "Batman" Jackson He
set the world lead andbroke a stadium record which dates back to 1986 from the US's 2-time Olympic champ Edwin Moses.
- Ethiopia's Sofia Assefa Wins Steeple In 9:25.87
- Athletics Weekly Recap
World Youth, World Masters, USA Club & Asian Champs Underway *Youth Results *Masters Results *Club Champs
- Friday: USA's Arman Hall Runs 46.01 To Win 400m At World Youth Champs Over Kenyan Kishoyian
- US Team Wins 6 Medals On Day 2
- Am Session: American Stars Weissenbach & Wilson Cruise In Girls 800
- Jamaica's Odail Todd Wins WYC 100m Title In 10.51 That was a massive .16 PR which gave him gold by .01, as Japan's Kazuma Oseto was 2nd in 10.52. *World Youth Championships - Japanese Results Day Two
- Talk About Moxie: Kenyan Youth 3,000 Champ William Malel Wants World Youth Record And Gold And Talks About Arguably The #1 Record On The Books - Komen's 3,000 WR Of 7:20
Masters: 45-Year-Old Zola Budd Gets 2nd In World Masters 8k XC Yes, that Zola Budd.
*A Brief Chat With Pete Magill
Asian: Recaps of 10,000m At Asian Champs
LRC Week That Was: Lukas V, Nick Willis, Scott Bauhs, Ray Flynn, Mike Powell and Molly Huddle Speak The beloved Week That Was is back in its traditional form after undergoing a transformation for Nationals and its vacation to Kenya.
Robby Andrews Talks To Local Paper About USATFs "I got out well and was in the lead pack at 300 meters. After the third 100, I started getting dropped." He's full of praise for the guys, but has to be thinking if Charles Jock is going to Worlds, so could he.
A Great Guy Dies Way Too Early
LaSalle Coach Torpey's Death Gets Coverage In Philly Paper At NCAA regionals, Rojo thoroughly enjoyed witnessing Torpey ham it up for at least 20 minutes. The sport has truly lost a great guy. *LaSalle Release On Torpey's Passing *MB: Lasalle Coach
Mike Powell/Usain Bolt In The News
- Mike Powell Thinks Today's Athletes Need To Do More To Promote Sport/Clash With Rivals Powell says it was a blessing that he had such a great rival as Carl Lewis.
- Powell Wishes Usain Bolt Would Long Jump Powell: "I wish I could get Usain Bolt to jump. He would jump 9 something, if I was his coach!"
Truth Is Sometimes More Interesting Than Fiction
- Juliey Culley (4:14) And Brian Gagnon (3:46) Run Fastest Miles Ever Recorded On US Soil Did we mention that the HASLAW Manchester Mile has a 188 foot drop? Culley: "I thought the clock was broken when I finished." *MB: 3:44 MILE in Manchester, NH road race
- Kenyan Runner Celebrates Victory In Final Few Steps, Misses 2:10 Barrier & $25,000 Bonus By 2 Seconds Nicholas Manza had the course record in hand at the Gold Coast Marathon and thought the bonus went with that, but in reality he had to break 2:10 and 2:10:01 isn't 2:09. Race organizers decided to give him $10,000 as a consolation prize. The best part is despite missing out on $15,000, Manza was very upbeat after the race. *Women's Winner Goitetom Haftu Misses Big 2:30 Bonus By 8 Seconds
- South African Discus Champ Fractures Official's Skull With Throw
Moses Kipsiro Has Been Unknowingly Suffering From Typhoid And Malaria A shame, as the double Commonwealths Champ and WChamps bronze medallist had run 7:31 in May.
Very Sad: Story On Once Promising Runner Rich Martinez He has the Colorado HS 1,600 record at 4:10 and almost made the 1988 Olympics, but now lives on the streets. *MB: Sad story from the 1988 Men's Olympic Trials 1,500m
More USATF Nationals *Men 10k Recap *W10k Recap *M5k *W5k *W1500 *M1500 *Interviews *10k Photo Gallery
800m: Alysia Goes Wire-To-Wire
updated Montano dominated the strong field, as she won wire-to-wire, with 5 women going sub-2:00. Maggie Vessey was sub-1:59 in second and former US champ Alice Schmidt
was third. Recap, anlaysis, race video, results, and post-race comments from athletes.
Women's Steeple: LRC Emma Coburn Wins, Stephanie Garcia Falls, And Hey Delilah Goes To Korea In the women's steeple NCAA champion Emma Coburn got the win over Bridget Franek, as UVA's Stephanie Garcia fell in the last water jump and Delilah DiCrescenzo of "Hey There, Delilah" fame got the final Worlds spot. Plus we talked to legendary coach Frank Gagliano - coach of Delilah - who drives 75 miles twice a week and picks up his athletes in NYC and takes them to practice.
In other action, Walter Dix won the 200m, Jeshua Anderson won a thrilling men's 400m hurdles, Kellie Wells won the 110 hurdles in a world leader, Shalonda Solomon won the 200m, Adam Nelson went big in the shot put, and Jesse Williams set a meet record in the high jump. More coverage of note:
- Adam Nelson Throws Far In Shot And Dreams Of World Record And Olympic Gold He revealed in this interview that he almost quit the sport in 2004.
- Lolo Jones Fails To Qualify For 110 Hurdles Final She said this might have been her last race this summer.
- Andrew Wheating, Jeremy Wariner Take Different Roads To U.S. team SI. com
LRC Women's 1,500m: The Thrill Of Victory And The Agony Of Defeat Christin Wurth-Thomas missed the World Championships by .01 in the most agonizing way possible.
She led for 1,400m and then completely ran out of steam in the last 100m, as Morgan Uceny dominated the star-studded field for the win with Jenny Simpson and an emotional
booking their tickets to Daegu.
Recap, results, video, and interview.
LRC Women's 5,000m: Molly Huddle Impresses, Hastings And Bizzarri Continue The Mammoth Mojo Molly Huddle performed like an American record-holding heavy favorite by putting on an exhibition the last two laps to win her first outdoor title. Training partners Amy Hastings (2:27 marathon in March) and Angela Bizzarri both set PRs and continued their huge improvement at 5,000m. Recap, results, interviews, race video.
LRC Women's 10,000m: Shalane Flanagan Goes Wire-To-Wire Over Kara Goucher And Field Shalane Flanagan wasted no time in showing the field
who was boss, as she opened up a lead on lap 1 she would never relinquish, although Kara Goucher stayed close throughout. Goucher had another impressive run post-pregnancy and is super-excited to be away from the
marathon and running track. Jen
Rhines got another WC team spot, while Desiree Davila continued her fine 2011 with a huge PR in 4th and Magdalena Boulet also had a big PR. Recap, analysis, interviews, results.
*WP: Kara Goucher Admits That The Marathon Might Not Be Her Event Right Now
Wind Or No Wind - 2:03:06 Is His Slowest Marathon
Moses Mosop And His 2:03:06 To Run 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Moses and famed coach Renato Canova toured the Chicago course and liked what they saw.
Webb Coaching Search Over
Alan Webb Moving Back To Virginia To Be Coached By Jason Vigilante We posted this on our home page two months ago when Steve Nearman wrote an article disclosing this information. However, both Webb's wife and agent denied that this was true, so Nearman deserves credit for sticking to his article, saying, "I stand by my story and I stand by my sources." *MB: Webb to be coached by Vig
adidas GP *Results *Dream Mile Video *Lukas V Photo Gallery #1, Photo Gallery #2
Steve Mullings Edges Tyson Gay, Bernard Lagat Outkicked In 5k, Allyson Felix Wins 200 In the 100, Tyson Gay was slow out of the blocks, made up the ground, but then mistimed his lean,
losing to Steve Mullings, who clocked an identical 10.26 time with a strong headwind. In the 5k, Dejen Gebremeskel held
off a late surge from Bernard Lagat to win in 13:05.22, only .24 ahead of Lagat. Tariku Bekele was 3rd in 13:06.06. The 800 saw late entry Alfred Yego winning in 1:46.57 with World Champ Mbulaeni Mulaudzi in 2nd (1:46.68) and Boaz Lalang in 3rd (1:46.75). Abubaker Kaki dropped out with a hamstring issue. Jeremy Wariner wins close 400. Blanka Vlašić's 9-meet Diamond League winning streak ends. American David Torrence won the 1500m over Nick
Willis as Olympians Lopez Lomong and Leo Manzano struggled.
*LRC Lukas Verzbicas Breaks Four The Dream Mile saw 4 high schoolers at 4:03 or better, as LV became only the 5th HSer to ever break 4 in the mile. LV: "At 600 meters to go, I thought sub-4 was off the table, but I still had a race to win. I wasn't about to give up." MB: LV 3:59.72!!!!!! *Lukas V Photo Gallery #1, Photo Gallery #2
Sammy Wanjiru Can Finally Rest In Peace *Funeral In Photos
*Wanjiru Gets 21 Gun Salute At Funeral
*1000s Attend Funeral As Wanjiru Is Burried In Kenya Many top Kenyan runners attended, including 3k WR holder Daniel Komen, former women's marathon World Champ Catherine Ndereba and former 5k World Champ Benjamin Limo. However, conspicuously absent was Hannah Wanjiru, his mother.
*Samuel Wanjiru's Final Journey
*Sammy Wanjiru's Death Turned Into Tabloid Fodder
Oslo Diamond League *Results *Photos Via Yahoo
Usain Bolt Blasts 19.86 In Rain, Asbel Kiprop Shows He's The Top Miler In The World, And Caster Semenya Beaten Again This is how our sport works - wherever Usain Bolt goes, he is the story. Bolt
did not disappoint on Thursday in Oslo, as he ran 19.87, beating second place by .57. In the Dream Mile, Asbel Kiprop showed he's the top miler in the world, as he got revenge on Prefontaine winner Haron Keitany. Kiprop
had horrible tactics at Pre, but here he was near the front and got the win on the homestretch. On the women's side, Halima Hachlaf, who burst on the season with an early season 1:58 last year, did it again this year to win the 800 over Caster Semenya. Meseret Defar won the women's 5,000m with another stellar kick, showing her speed is still there.
*Usain Bolt Storms To 200m Victory In Oslo
*Athletics Weekly Recap
*Video Highlights: US Visitors Watch The 200, 800 And Dream Mile
Rome Diamond League *Results *Photos *IAAF Recap
LRC: Usain Bolt Nips Powell, Khadevis Robinson Storms From Last To First To Shock The World In 800 47,000 fans and a worldwide television audience were focused on the Usain Bolt-Asafa Powell showdown and it did not disappoint, as Usain Bolt - who said he was nervous for the first time ever - overtook Asafa Powell in the final meters. The surprise of the evening was the men's 800m, where 8 time US champion, 34-year-old Khadevis Robinson put on a stunning display the final 250m, going from last to first to win (video here). Last year, KD was rabbiting Golden League races, now he's winning them. In other action, Allyson Felix went sub-50 to defeat Sanya Richards-Ross in the 400 and world XC Champ Imane Merga showed his great finish in the 5,000m, running 12:54 and throwing down the gauntlet to Bernard Lagat, whom he'll race in 25 weeks in NYC. Sara Hall had a 9-second PR to get a Worlds and Olympic qualifier in the steeple and Christin Wurth Thomas led the women's 1,500 at the bell before finishing 6th in a qualifying 4:03.72.
Time To Learn Some T&F History - 40 Years Ago, Jim Ryun & Marty Liquori Ran A Dream Mile In Philly & It More Than Lived Up To The Hype
- Recommended Read #1 NY Times: 40 Years Ago, Track Was At The "Front And Center" Of America's Consciousness, But Today We Are Indifferent (& Millrose's Move Proves It) 40 years ago, the US public was very much into the Dream Mile rivalry of Marty Liquori and Jim Ryun. "Forty years on, it's hard to imagine the average American giving a second thought to any track rivalry, never mind debating it on sports radio. That is probably why the move by Millrose, uptown and perhaps into obscurity, has been met with barely a shrug. It deserves better."
- Recommended Read #2 The 40th Anniversary Of The Dream Mile Between Marty Liquori & Jim Ryun Passes With Hardly A Whisper From The Media A couple of good quotes from Liquori: "I guess, as they say, things were a lot different in those days. There was no ESPN. Everyone watched the same events. It was a very focused thing for the nation to see that race. The buildup had been coming for two years ..." "Perhaps the thing that made it so unusual is sometimes big rivalries rarely live up to the buildup. They just don't pan out. But the two of us separated ourselves and literally sprinted almost all-out from 600 yards out."
"The Road Of Death"
Feature On Somali Runners Training Each Day On "Road Of Death" For London 2012 (Video) The video shows how some Somali athletes avoid gunfire each day to realize their dream of competing and winning at the 2012 Games. *LRC MB: Top Video on MSNBC Is Feature on Somali Runners Training Each Day on 'Road of Death' For London 2012
Video Of The Day: Asbel Kiprop Races A 400 In Kenya On A Dirt Track
Morgan Uceny On A Roll (International Visitors Click Here)
Mo Farah And Galen Rupp Impress (International Visitors Click Here)
Anyone Remember This From Paris 2007? Paris 2011 Videos Here
LRC Contest Recap - The Greatness Of You
LRC USA Nationals Contest Recap As usual we had a couple of ringers come out on top in our contest. Our winner is in the elite of the elite of LetsRun.com, as not only has he been to watch the World Championships and Olympic Trials, he has a @runner.org email address, and a real-life wife. Our runner-up was a state champion in high school and has started a post-collegiate group in Utah.
USAs In Review
LRC 2011 USATF Women's Nationals (Distance) In Review Which event represents America's best chance for a distance medal at Worlds? It's the same event an American led the world in 2010. Still stumped? You'll have to read the
article. We break down all the action, look at the very different fates of non-qualifiers Christin Wurth-Thomas and Anna Pierce, wonder if Kara Goucher can beat Shalane at Worlds, and even talk about coach Gags' commute and the reverse LetsRun.com jinx.
LRC USA Men's Nationals In Review Wejo puts Galen Rupp's 10k performance in perspective, talks about the stellar men's 5,000m, and break down all the distance action. Plus Dathan Ritzenhein, German Fernandez, Evan Jager and even Xavier Carter, Adam Nelson, and Adam Goucher just to get your attention.
Qualifying Controversy: If athletes do not hit the "A" standard, they are at the mercy of John Chaplin as to whether they get into the meet. We at LetsRun.com think the solution is simple - "A" qualifiers (and whoever else it's decided should get automatic entry, like recent champions) automatically get in the meet, then set field sizes in every event (just like US Open Tennis or Golf) with penalties for athletes scratching from their first event. More:
*Open Letter To USATF From Mark Misch Mark coaches at University of Colorado - Colorado Springs and says athletes not knowing whether they'll be in the meet each year is the biggest problem and is hurting the sport.
Asafa Powell 9.78 World Leader
A Must-Watch (We're Not Sure How We Missed This) - Sammy Wanjiru's Mom Theatens Others With A Machete 2 Weeks Ago (More Here)
New adidas GP Photo Gallery
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Remembering Sammy Wanjiru (News On Events Surrounding His Death In Left-Hand Column)
LRC RIP Sammy Wanjiru: The World's Greatest Marathoner Has Died Yesterday in the article above, we paid tribute to Sammy's incredible career and now athletes, journalists, and industry insiders are all paying their respects to the incredible marathoner Sammy Wanjiru.
Train Smarter (More In Our Training Forum)
- Questions about Summer of Malmo
- SHORT REST INTERVAL TRAINING WITH DANNY HENDERSON 1983-1984
- Summary of Renato Canova principles
- Staying motivated when you want to stop
- 2 long runs + 2 workouts a week
- Workout Heroes vs. Workout Zeros
Boston *Recap Analysis: *JK On The Wind *Wejo On Desiree *Rojo *London And Boston *Video Highlights
Desiree Davila Pure Guts
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Universal Sports Back To Top