Diamond League #1 In Doha In The Books *Results *3k Highlights
Yenew Alamirew's 7:27 3k Highlights 10 World Leaders To Start Diamond League Season In Qatar The meet saw Allyson Felix continue her winning ways in the 400m, Olympic 1,500m champ Asbel Kiprop get the win in the 800, Walter Dix burst back on the scene with an impressive 20.06 200m and
American Jesse Williams win the high jump with a gutsy performance. The highlight for distance fans, however, was the men's 3,000m, where the young
20-year-old Ethiopian Yenew Alamirew (who burst
on the scene last year out of nowhere, running 7:28 in Milan) opened up his 2011 outdoor campaign with a strong final 200m to pull away from former world champ Eliud Kipchoge to get the win in a fast 7:27.26 win and PR, as the first 6 men all set personal bests and 12 men ran under 7:35.
- Allyson Felix Has To Fight Till End To Defeat Amantle Montsho In Doha In 400
- Yenew Alamirew The Star In Doha
- OTC's Jesse Williams' Gutsy Performance Wins High Jump After Cyprus' Ioannou cleared on his 3rd attempt, Williams cleared as well to get the win.
- Kellie Wells Wins 100m Hurdles Over 6 Other Americans To Stay Undefeated In 2011
- Lolo Jones Battled Adversity Growing Up And Now Nerve Problems (She Finished 3rd In Doha)
Healthy Kidney 10k Is Next Saturday
World's Two Fastest 10k Road Runners In History, Leonard Patrick Komon And Micah Kogo, Will Clash Next Weekend In Central Park At UAE Healthy Kidney Bobby Curtis will lead the American charge in a totally stacked race that also includes Moses Masai, Abdi, Tim Nelson, Ben St. Lawrence, Lelisa Desisa and Shawn Forrest.
Introducing PowerBar's High Performance Sustained Release Beta-Alanine Supplement (Sponsored Post)
Learn How PowerBar's High Performance Beta-Alanine Supplement May Help You Run Faster Beta-alanine supplementation is scientifically proven to increase muscle carnosine levels. Carnosine helps with the buffering in lactic acid. Scientific studies indicated that beta-alanine supplementation may lead to increased athletic performance. PowerBar's new High Intensity Beta-Alanine product takes the guess work out of beta-alanine supplementaion. Click here for more on this new product that may help you run faster.
Post-Stanford 10,000 News
- A Brief (But Great) Chat With Bobby Curtis The top American at Stanford in the 10k talks about going after the 27:00 barrier and training under Marcus O'Sullivan but borrowing stuff from Nic Bideau, Terrence Mahon and Zap Fitness. He did zero doubles in college but now does them 6 days a week.
- After Pacing At Stanford, Chris Solinsky Looks Back On Record Run & Talks About How A Stitch Caused Him To Be Off Pace
- Sally Kipyego (& Many Kenyans) Are Experts At Recovery Wejo would agree, as he once lived with Patrick Kiptum and was amazed at how still he could be after a run.
- France's Steeple Record Holder Bob Tahri Says Fact He Had To Lead 10 Laps At Stanford Cost Him Chance At National Record In 10,000 Someone will have to check the tape to see if he actually led for 10 laps, but we agree that the rabbiting didn't last long enough and no one wanted to lead after Solinsky stopped setting the pace.
- Proof That The Japanese Know How To Marathon Way Better Than The US: Stat Of The Day: 3 Japanese 2:09 Marathoners Ran 10ks Last Week & Two Set PRs And The Fastest Was A 28:24 At Stanford Additionally, the article talks about how their amateur 2:08 marathoner did a 3 x 5k race/workout last week all under 15:00 - 14:58, 14:48, 14:21.
Week In Review
LRC The Good, The Bad, And Everything Else From the hot relay action at Penn to the excellent distance action at Stanford and even the sprints (and mile) at Drake, we've got it covered. Along the way we go ga-ga for Colorado coach Mark Wetmore and his new recruit Ammar Moussa as well as Jordan Hasay and Kenia Sinclair before we talk about how weak the men's DMR was at Penn this year. Plus, most importantly, our analysis of Desiree Davila's first pitch at the Tigers Game and how it compares to Carl Lewis.
Races To Look Forward To
- Tyson Gay To Run 150m On Straight Track On May 15th In The UK
- Boston Marathon Champs Caroline Kilel & Geoffrey Mutai To Run Inaugural Boston Athletic Association 10K On June 26
- Well Said Asafa Powell Says For Track To Be Popular There Must Be Head-To-Head Meetings Of Top Stars We agree they can't clash only at global championships but at the same time the clashes should be rare or there will be little drama at Worlds.
World Champs/Olympics - Geoffrey Mutai Will Not Run In Daegu!
- Kenya Unveils World Champs Marathon Team
They name a list of 10 potentials, including Boston
1-2 Geoffrey Mutai andMoses Mosop, London winner Emmanuel Mutai, Rotterdam winner Vincent Kipruto, Paris champ Benjamin Kiptoo. And for the women, Boston champ Caroline Kilel, London winner Mary Keitany, Rotterdam winner Philes Ongori and Paris winner Priscah Jeptoo.
- Boston Champ Geoffrey Mutai Has Decided To Skip World Champs In Daegu And Run NY Or Chicago Instead He said, "I have ran in Daegu. Each time I was jinxed. I have therefore decided to give the event a miss."
- Big Prize Money On The Line For World Championships In Daegu Over $7 Million!
- The Olympics: The Only Time You Will See People Fighting Over Who Gets To Put Track On TV
- South Africa Repeats Intention To Bid To Host Olympics
Some Politics & Other News
- NJ Court Won't Halt Ballot Printing For Carl Lewis Although another article says: N.J. Court To Allow Carl Lewis' Name On Primary Ballots Until Case Solved
- Philip Hersh Blogs About His Issue With The IOC "Pretending To Be Above Politics" And Refusing To Comment On Bin Laden's Death
- 100 World Leader Steve Mullings Is Running The 200 This Weekend "I am not allowed to say what time we are aiming for. All I can say is, 'look out!'"
- Usain Bolt Helps Puma Boost Profits ... if that wasn't already obvious.
Paula And Rudisha Pull Out With Illness & Injury
- Paula Radcliffe Pulls Out Of Great Manchester Run 10k May 15th Due To Recent Illness Now the main race should be between European Indoor 3k Champ Helen Clitheroe and the top European finisher at World XC, Charlotte Purdue.
*Paula Radcliffe Delays Comeback Until End Of May Due To Bronchitis Her first race back will now be the Bupa London 10km on May 30th, which races part of the Olympic marathon course.
- Both David Rudisha And Double World Indoor Champ Abubaker Kaki Pull Out Of Diamond League Opener With Minor Injuries
- Even With David Rudisha And Abubakar Kaki Out, Diamond League 800 Race Still Has Deep Field The field is still headlined by Olympic champ Asbel Kiprop, World 800m silver medallist Alfred Kirwa Yego, and Rudisha's training partner Sammy Tangui.
*Asbel Kiprop Says If He Doesn't Break The 3:30 Barrier This Season, He Will Quit The Distance And Move To The 5k He talks about how he feels he performs better when there is less pressure and how Seb Coe is his inspiration to try and tackle both the 800m and 1,500m distances. He says, "For an athlete to be considered a hero he needs to win titles and set records and that is what I want to do."
*Canadian Running Community Deeply Saddened By Loss Of Member Of "Our Family" In Danny Kassap
*2:14 Marathoner Danny Kassap Dies At Age 28 Danny Kassap, a former world-class runner who fled to Canada from Congo, passed away a day after withdrawing from a local 10k race because he was not feeling well.
LRC Another Great Stanford Meet Is In The Books The 2011 Payton Jordan meet did not disappoint, as 22 runners got under the Olympic A standard in the men's and women's 10,000, as the "star" Americans in
Matt Tegenkamp and Shalane Flanagan got beaten. In the men's 10k, the winner was 20-year-old Bedan Karoki,
whose breathtaking move with more than seven laps to go instantly ended the race, which was the first one in American history where three Americans broke 27:30 (led by Bobby Curtis). In the men's 1,500, German Fernandez's struggles continued in the B heat (is it officially time to panic?), while Lopez Lomong and Evan Jager returned to action in the A heat that was won by Ben Blankenship. In the ladies' 1,500, Jordan Hasay got a PR and collegiate leader
finished 5th. The
story of the steeple was that Mark Wetmore-coached athletes shined and got the Olympic A standards, as Emma Coburn impressed from the opening moment of the race while Billy Nelson waited until late to unleash an incredibly impressive kick. In the men's 5k, Elliott Heath's unreal kick wasn't quite enough to get him the win, as seven broke 13:30. Read all about as we recap the top action for you.
*HS Senior Ammar Moussa Runs 14:05 To Win Heat In Payton Jordan 5k
*Athletics Weekly Recap Of Stanford 10k: Brit Chris Thompson Runs Fastest UK Time In 13 Years With 27:27
*IAAF Recap Of Payton Jordan 10k
*Register Guard Recap Of Payton Jordan Meet
*MB: Teg, Nelson 27:28, 13 under 'A' standard!
*Bobby Curtis 27:24, you all saw that right?
*Jordan Hasay 4:10
Pre-Race: *LRC Wejo's Thoughts On Stanford 10,000m Fields Shalane Flanagan, Sally Kipyego, Molly Huddle and Lineth Chepkurui on the women's side and the debut of Matt Tegenkamp on the men's side. The main goal for the men is Olympic and Worlds qualifiers.
*Profile On UK's Chris Thompson, Who Finished 4th In The 10k With 27:27
Saturday At Penn *Penn Results *Official Site *Photos
Saturday At Penn (Reuters Recap) The carnival that is Penn is always crazy (and hard to recap). Saturday saw Jamaica's Kenia Sinclair run a 1:57.06 split to nearly set the world record in the sprint medley relay, Robby Andrews getting revenge for his loss to Casimir Loxsom at World Juniors by outkicking him to win the 4 x 800, Princeton gets its first Championship of America title in 71 years by winning the 4 x mile, a great pro DMR where Bernard Lagat (2:48.30) and Ryan Gregson (Aussie who turned 21 this week, in his first race back from a navicular stress fracture) had great first legs, and things came down to a 4-way battle on the anchor and Amine Laalou came from behind for the win, plus Allyson Felix winning 2 relays, Asafa Powell leading Jamaica, and even the return of Justin Gatlin. Individual coverage of these stories below:
- NY Times: Gatlin Looking To Outrun Competition And Suspicions USATF spokeswoman Jill Geer explains the Catch 22 of the doping world: "If he runs as fast as he did before, people will think he must be doping now. If he doesn't run as fast as he did in the past, people will say that was evidence that he really was doping and cheating."
- Robby Andrews Uses His Patented Kick To Win Penn 4 X 800 Over Casimir Loxsom *Video Of Final 200
More On Andrews: "As soon as he gets the stick, it's over."
- Princeton's Mark Amirault Roars By Arkansas' Duncan Phillips To Give Princeton Its First Championship Of America Title In 71 Years
- Message Board Thread On Pro DMR
- Allyson Felix Leads US To 2 Wins, Asafa Powell Leads Jamaican 4 X 100 Team To Win, Kenia Sinclair's 1:57.06 Split Nearly Gets Sprint Medley World Record
- Duke Gets A 4 X 800 Wheel
Several Interesting Stories Worth Reading
- Recommended Read Suzy Favor Hamilton Talks To Middle School Students About Falling Down On Purpose At 2,000 Olympics Unable to handle the pressure, Hamilton saved herself for Zürich (oh wait, that was actually in 2001) but now gives very inspiring speeches to youngsters showing them elite athletes are normal people too.
- One We Missed: ESPN W Looks At Alicia Shay's Comeback Ryan's widow is healthy again on the comeback.
- Venezuelan Runner With 8:39 Steeple PR Hopes Training In Kenya Will Get Him Down To 8:20
- 80 Top Ethiopian Athletes & Coaches Pledge $1 Million+ To Build Dam In Ethiopia The stars include Haile Gebrselassie, Kenenisa Bekele, Meseret Defar, Tirunesh Dibaba, Sileshi Sihine and Gebre Gebremariam.
- Japanese Runner Runs 15:17.84 PR After Being Fired From Corporate Team
News From Europe
- Former HJ World Record Holder Patrik Sjoberg Says He Was Sexually Abused By His Coach Despite the abuse, he respected him as a coach. "I hated him for everything he did to me but at the same time, you can't take away from him that he was a great coach. I thought that I couldn't train with anyone else." *2nd Article On Sexual Abuse
Payton Jordan *2011 PJordan Accepted Entries *LRC MB: Stanford Predictions
- UK's Chris Thompson May Benefit From Chris Solinsky's Pacing At Stanford 10k In His Attempt To Better The UK National Record His current PR is 27:29 and Jon Brown's current record is 27:18. Solinsky is supposed to pace for a target time of 27:20.
- After Dropping Out Of Boston, Alastair Cragg Looking For Some Redemption On The Track In Stanford 5k And Prefontaine Classic 10k Thinks he can be under 13:20 at Stanford and 27:20 at Prefontaine.
- Q&A With Olympic Steeplechaser Anna Pierce, Who Will Run Stanford 1,500m On Sunday
- Interview With Matt Tegenkamp About Getting Ready For His Debut 10k He says even though he will run the 10k, he still won't run World Cross. Hopefully he eventually decides to cross that off his "won't do" list as well.
- Runner's World Interview With Chris Solinsky, Who Will Be Pacing Teammates Tim Nelson And Matt Tegenkamp To "A" Standard At Stanford 10k MB: Matt Tegenkamp Runs the 10k & Solinsky pacing Nelson, Teg to do 10k?
- The Oregonian: Chris Solinsky Says Pacing Is "More Nerve-Wracking" Than Racing He Also talks about how the Stanford 10k last year, where he set the American Record, was a huge mental breakthrough for him.
- Six Oregon Ducks Running Stanford
Meb Running New York 69 Days Before Olympic Trials
LRC: Meb Attempting New York / Olympic Trials Double Meb Keflezighi joined the live NYRR 2011 ING New York City Marathon "Opening Day" show from Columbus Circle to announce he was running this year's marathon, 69 days before the US Olympic Trials in Houston (in 2004, Meb did the Olympic
New York double 70 days apart). Meb will take on defending champ Gebre Gebremariam, while defending women's champ Edna Kiplagat will face Jen Rhines. Athletes Apolo Anton Ohno and Curtis Granderson were on hand for the marathon kickoff along with celebrities Al Roker and Ed Norton.
*USA Today Article Meb also reveals that he is recovered from knee injury he sustained right before NYC Half that occurred during an "altercation with a dog in Central Park."
US/NCAA Track Action - Results: *Jesse Owens Classic *ACC Results *Oregon Relays *Princeton Larry Ellis *Arkansas McDonnell Invy
Craziness At The ACC Meet: Florida State NCAA Long Jump Champion Ngoni Makusha Runs Legal 9.97 In His First 100m In 4 Years, Florida State Storms Back For 7th Straight Title Makashua had never run a 100m in college until the ACC meet, and he ran 9.97 for the win. Simply amazing. Florida State pulled out all the stops
to storm back from 40 points
down to win the title. Makusha wasn't
even the meet MVP,
as Maurice Mitchell got it after his 20.17 in the 200m and runner-up in the 100m. *Thread here. However, distance fans will be most impressed by Irishman Ciaran O'Lionaird (see below).
10k Man Ciaran O'Lionaird Beats Robby Andrews In 1,500m, Gets ACC Records In 1,500 And 5k To Lead FSU To ACC Title There was one way O'Lionaird was going to beat Andrews, and that was by running away from him - and that's what he did (barely). Ciaran built up a 5-second lead at the bell and held on barely against Andrews' patented kick for an ACC record (3:40) win (video on right of homepage or here). 2+ hours later he was back for a meet record in the 5,000m. *Thread Here
2011 London & Boston Were So Good They Continue To Dominate The News Cycle
LRC John Kellogg Explains How He "Predicted" The Unpredictable - A Sub-2:03:59 In Boston LetsRun.com's coaching guru explains the rationale behind his non-prediction that is making waves around the globe. Years of timed out-and-back and straight-shot tempos with the wind in Waco, Texas (and other windy Texas venues) proved invaluable to his understanding the effects of the wind. JK took a stab at converting the Boston performances by Mutai and Hall to London and Berlin and even reveals what would happen if the Boston Mutai raced the London Mutai.
LRC Week In Review: 13 Thoughts About The 2011 Virgin London And Boston Marathons We try to give out some thoughts about a glorious two days of marathoning. From it not being a good two days for North
debutants or US Olympic women, to Ryan Hall never runs a bad marathon, to stats showing how the wind helped the mid-packers, to you couldn't find two more deserving winners than the Mutais. All of that plus we give out our top contenders for the 2012 Olympic medals and praise Caroline Kilel while talking about kissing Dave Bedford's ***.
LRC Rojo Speaks: Boston - Please Stop This World Record Nonsense "(Boston), you are the most historic of all the major marathons and don't need publicity stunts ... You don't need a record to validate what happened. In fact, you shouldn't want it. Your race course has character and tradition behind it - all most of the others can do is get in a contest amongst themselves for time."
The Sport Loses A Legend *Grete Waitz's NYC Marathon Results
Grete Waitz Loses Battle With Cancer Waitz is best known for being a 9-time New York City Marathon champion, a class act, and a pioneer in the sport, but she also was a 4:00 1,500m runner and an 8:31 3,000m
runner. As a kid, watching her on ABC win
NYC every year was one of the site founders' earliest running memories. She will be missed. Thanks to Leo Kulinski for the photo. Another one here.
*Pay Your Respects In This Thread
*Grete Waitz: In The Long Run, A Legacy Of Triumph For Women And Sport
*IAAF: Grete Waitz, Distance Running Legend, Passes Away
*The Independent: Norwegian Marathon Legend Grete Waitz Dies Of Cancer At Age 57
*Runner's World: Remembering Grete Waitz
*Runner's World: 2005: When We First Learned Of Grete Waitz's Battle With Cancer
Virgin London Marathon *Watch Full Race On Demand *Photos
LRC Emmanuel Mutai Runs The Best 10km Ever In A Marathon To Destroy The Field & Arrive As One Of The World's Best
A lead pack that was a who's who of marathoning went through 30km together, but soon the race would be nothing but a coronation for Emmanuel Mutai, who destroyed the field with a 28:44 4th 10k and ended up with a 2:04:40 course record. Almost as big of a story as Mutai's
incredible run was the fact that the 2nd placer ended up being one of the all-time greats - Martin Lel - who shocked even himself in his first marathon since Beijing 2008. American Jason Lehmkuhle was the only elite American finisher as the three rookie American marathoners went out too fast and blew up - none worse than Mo Trafeh, who ran with the lead pack for 15 km.
LRC Women's Marathoning Has A New Star Named Mary Keitany Keitany knocked nearly 10 minutes off her personal best and knocked Liliya Shobukhova off her pedestal as the best in the world, as Keitany ran the first sub-2:20 since 2008 and made mincemeat of "undoubtedly" of the strongest women's field in London history. All together, a record 22 women broke 2:30 - but that didn't include US Olympian Magdalena Lewy-Boulet.
April Fools News
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*Ahwatukee.com Article On Meyerhoff's Death
*New York Road Runners Article
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
The Secret Is ... There Is No Secret
Oregon Twilight *Results
Oregon Twilight OTC Defeats U Of Oregon DMR The highlight of the meet was the
frat 4 x 100 men's DMR. We're big fans of AJ Acosta, but he was no match for Andrew Wheating on the anchor. This was Wheating's first race since last summer (he had a calf
injury this winter).
Saturday's Action: Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Veronica Campbell Brown, Asafa Powell, Sanya Richards All Running Kingston Meet
US Distance News
- Evan Jager Says He Will Not Run The 5,000 This Year
- NCAA Indoor 5,000m Champ Jackie Areson Joins Alberto Salazar's Oregon Project
A Different Kind Of Marathon: Inaugural Gaza Marathon
Gaza Marathon Held The race had a bunch of kids running relays, but only 9 people in the full marathon. How about this quote: "The people find it strange - if they see someone running, they think they are crazy. Usually Palestinians only run when there are air strikes or when they are frightened."
*Gaza Marathon Photos *More Photos
3 Newsworthy Events
- Azmeraw Bekele Wins 10,000 At Ethiopian Champs The 59:39 half marathon runner who also was Ethiopian XC champ in 2010 got another national title after not running for a week due to an injury.
- Ryan Hall, The Fastest American Marathoner Ever, Will Run Road 1 Mile Next Week, As Rod Dixon Told Him To Break 4 ASAP Don't know Dixon? Dixon was an Olympic bronze medallist at 1,500 as well as the NYC Marathon champ. *2011 Medtronic TC 1 Mile Mile Website
- Geoffrey Mutai's Training Partner Was Killed In A Car Accident In Kenya The accident was a few weeks ago. The article also says Mutai might mull a World Championships run. Is that really true or is he just trying to play nice with AK?
3 Articles That Might Be Worth Reading
- Recommended Read: The Independent Catches Up With The Great Paula Radcliffe - Even Olympic Gold In 2012 Won't End Her Career Radcliffe talks about how childbirth has changed her and her fitness. "I can definitely run a sub-2:20. Whether I can run sub-2:15 I don't know."
- Recommended Read USC Hurdler & National Leader Nia Ali Is On Comeback Trail After Shutting Down After Her Father's Murder-Suicide Rocked Her World (And All Of Philadelphia) Ali's father had been trying to contact her for months but she didn't respond and then there was huge guilt after he did a murder-suicide.
- Spurned Ex-Track Coach Is One Who Initiated Boise State NCAA Investigation A former track assistant snitched on a bunch of tiny infractions and now, sadly, while players at Auburn get paid cash and nothing happens, the Boise State football team will be punished in a big way for letting its football players sleep on couches before the dorms open, as they've been cited with a lack of "institutional control."
News From Oregon
- AJ Acosta Confident Oregon Ducks Can Mix It Up With The Pros This Weekend At Oregon Twilight
- Oregon's Brianne Theisen Is Pulled Out Of PAC-10 Multis With Back Injury She hasn't even done a multi all year, so it looks like the injury that Lananna called not serious may keep her out of NCAAs, as as of now, she won't even be at regionals.
- More On Theisen: She Has Indoors Left, So A Redshirt Would Give Her A Full Year For Next Year
- Unreal: Oregon HS Sophomore Does 10.38/21.41 Sprint Double
American Kevin Ankrom Introduced As Ireland Track & Field's New Performance Director Previously the 43-year-old was the director for New Zealand. If you have the A standard but aren't top-16 material for the Olympics, you might be held out of the Olympics.
Drake Steeple Winner Shayla Houlihan Says She'll Never Go Back, As She Wasn't Allowed To Do Victory Lap Since She's A Pro/Not A Collegian Drake needs to either let non-collegians into a race as full-fledged members or not let them race at all.
Upcoming Diamond League News
- Very Deep 800 & 1,500 Fields Headline This Year's Prefontaine Classic Caster Semenya will headline 800 field that includes former Worlds silver medallist Kenyan Janeth Jepkosgei, 2010 US champ Alysia Johnson, Olympic champ Pamel Jelimo, current world-leader Kenia Sinclair, UK/OTC's Jemma Simpson and US Olympian Anna Pierce. The 1,500 has 7 women who were ranked top 10 in the world last year, including Olympic gold medallist Nancy Langat, Anna Alminova, Gelete Burka, Mimi Belete, Shannon Rowbury, Christin Wurth-Thomas and Nuria Fernandez.
US/NCAA News *2012 US Olympic Trials Tickets Go On Sale Friday
- Oregon's Recruiting Power: Anne Kesselring Currently Has The Fastest College 800 This Season And Oregon Didn't Even Have To Recruit Her
- TrackFocus.com: To Make The 2012 Trials Popular Outside The Track And Field World, Media Hype Needs To Begin Now
- The Oregonian: Vin Lananna Opens Up About The 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials Also interesting to note that Matt Centrowitz junior and senior are 3-4 on UO's all-time 1,500 list, with father currently .22 faster than son.
- Top Runners Thrive At Team USA Arizona Assistant Coach Trina Painter: "I remind our women that what they have now is a unique and special opportunity [that's] not to be wasted. My generation had to make its own way, but they're part of a movement to bring this sport to another level."
- Brief Chat With Robby Andrews, Who Anchored University Of Virginia's 4 x 800 To 2nd Straight Win At Penn Relays
- Contenders Emerge For NCAA Women's 1,500m Title Article mentions Jordan Hasay, Shelia Reid, Georgetown's Emily Infeld and Renee Tomlin (4:13.15), and Lea Wallace of Sacramento State, who ran 4:11.31 at Payton Jordan. Article fails to mention BC's Caroline King, who split 4:12 to ger her team the 4 x 1,500 win at Penn Relays.
- Register-Guard Preview Of Oregon Twilight Meet: OU Ducks Vs. Oregon Track Club Elite
- USATF: Colorado's Emma Coburn Named Athlete Of The Week After Setting Steeplechase World Lead At 9:40.51
- Track And Field Cited In Boise State NCAA Recruiting Infractions "As a result, the university is cutting scholarships and imposing recruiting restrictions for track and field."
- The NYC Half Was Nice, But Galen Rupp Has Unfinished Business On The Track
- OTC Vs. Oregon DMR On For Friday's Oregon Twilight Meet The OTC Elite team will have Russell Brown as the 1,600 leg, Nick Symmonds on the 800, either Andy Wheating or Tyler Mulder for the 1,200, and Ashton Eaton as the 400 leg. The Oregon team will probably have Mike Berry as the 400, and some combination of A.J. Acosta, Matt Centrowitz, Elijah Greer and Boru Guyota as the other legs.
- Interview With Russell Brown About His Experience As The Anchor For The USA DMR In The Penn Relays USA Vs. The World Race Speaking on his win at the New Balance Indoor Grand Prix during the winter he said, "You know, that's the race that got me here. That's the race that got the rest of my season rolling, and I'm being given opportunities I've never been given before and I have sort of a level of confidence in what I can accomplish that I've never had before ... It's races like that you go in being somebody and then you come out being somebody else, and that's what athletics is for, you know, surprising people and taking it somewhere you've never been before. So I'll remember it forever."
- USA Today Already Tracking London Medals Nick Symmonds & Bernard Lagat are only US runners who made their top 8 ranking in the men mid-distance/distance events.
- Carl Lewis Appeals To State Supreme Court To Be Let Back Into NJ Senate Race
- Tickets For 2012 US Olympic Trials Go On Sale This Friday
Interesting Distance News
Dathan Ritzenhein Talks About His Comeback From Surgery He's running 70 miles a week on the Alter-G treadmill and hasn't given up hope of running the US track champs. And we liked this exchange with his wife after Boston. Wife: "It's okay if you're in a bad mood today." Dathan: "Why would I be in a bad mood because everybody ran well?" Wife: "Because
you weren't there to be able to do it."
Former Oregon Duck And Nike Exec Admits To Getting Paid On European Track Trip While In College, Says More Needs To Be Done To Help NCAA Athletes Financially After expenses, he netted $133 from his trip (we may be wrong, but we think college athletes can get their expenses covered by pro meets). He says athletes in the big sports are taken advantage of and more funds need to be set aside to help them get jobs.
Kevin Hanson And Desiree Davila Talking Boston At Ceremony Honoring Her In Michigan
Drake Saturday *Drake Results *Photos *Newspaper Special Section
LRC 2011 Drake Relays Recap: Boaz Lalang Wins 2011 Drake Relays Mile Over Alan Webb, Who Is Fourth Webb, the American record holder, got the short end of the stick in the final sprint between Kenyan Olympian Lalang, NCAA breakout star Chris O'Hare and World Champs semi-finalist Peter Van Der Westhuizen. In other action, Jenny Barringer went wire-to-wire
in the 1,500, Jeremy Wariner
won the 400m and Adam Nelson went over 70 feet for the first time in 3 years to show he could be a factor in 2011.
On The Boards: Alan Webb Gets 4th At Drake, Boaz Lalang Wins
*Lolo Jones Upstaged For 3rd Straight Year At Drake
*IAAF: Adam Nelson's 21.39 Heave One Of The Highlights Of Drake Relays
*University Of Mississippi's Ellis Moore Wins Drake Relays 400m Hurdles Title For 2nd Year In A Row
More Drake From Des Moines Register: Men's Recap: Jeremy Wariner Cruises, Boaz Lalang Defeats Alan Webb
*Lolo Jones Gets Support From Home Crowd But Comes Up Short
*50 Years Ago, Wilma Rudolph And Others Were First Women To Compete At Drake
Bloomsday *Results And Prize Money *Overall Recap
Men: Kenya's Simon Ndirangu Outkicks Countryman Allan Kiprono For $7,000 Title
Women: Misiker Mekonnin Upsets Fellow Ethiopian Wude Ayalew Over 56,000 runners ran this year, making Bloomsday a tremendous success. We should do a series on America's great road races. Josh Moen and new American citizen Janet Cherobon-Bawcom (who beat 2:27 marathoner Amy Hastings) were the first Americans, picking up an extra $5,000.
- Caster Semenya Runs 2:02.52 To Win S. African Student Champs Easily After Winning 400 And 1,500 Day Before
- S. African Student Champs Day 1: Caster Semenya Wins 400 (53.18) And 1,500 (4:22)
Impressive Youths In The News
- Athletics New Zealand Attempting To Get The IAAF To Allow 16-Year-Old Shot Putter Jacko Gill To Be Allowed To Throw At World Champs Gill recently became the youngest (and lightest) person to ever throw the shot over 20m, but IAAF rules prevent those under 18 from competing in World Champs throwing events.
- NZ's 16-Year-Old Jacko Gill Says He Is Not Only Sure He Will Qualify For The 2012 Olympics, But He Plans On Winning A Medal And Breaking The WR Too "... I'm not worried at all. It is great being able to break 20 metres already but I'm not in this to only just qualify for the Olympics. I'm planning to [win a] medal in London."
- Morgann LeLeux Sets National Prep Record In Pole Vault At 14'3"
- DyeStat: 2011 World Youth Champs - Leading U.S. Candidates April 26 Update
- MileSplit: 11 Prep Stars Added To Dream Fields At Adidas Grand Prix
Politically-Themed Track News
- America's Fastest Man Tyson Gay Went To White House To Help With Easter Egg Hunt - Gets Snubbed By President Gay actually enjoyed himself at the event but didn't get to meet the President. He needs friends in high places, like marathon greats Paul Tergat and Moses Tanui, who got private time with President Bush thanks To LetsRun.com back in 2001.
- Not So Fast: New Jersey's Republican Secretary Of State Says Carl Lewis (Dem.) Can't Run For Office In NJ *WSJ Article On King Carl
Boston Marathon *Live Boston Thread *Women's Reaction *Men's Reaction
*Video Highlights *Weather *Photos
One For The Ages In Boston: Desiree And The Fastest Marathon Ever Run "Unbelievable" is probably the best way to describe the 2011 Boston Marathon.
Davila, off the back of the lead pack multiple times, was gutsy as hell,
battling for the win with Caroline Kilel down the final straight. There were 4 lead changes on the final straight before Kilel came out on top. In the men's race, American Ryan Hall ran 2:04:57 and lost by nearly 2 minutes. Yes, ladies and gentleman, Geoffrey
Mutai and Moses Mosop ran faster than anyone else ever before the in the marathon, 2:03:02 and 2:03:06 respectively, thanks in part to 20 mph tailwinds. Mutai cemented his status as the strongest runner on the planet with the win. We give you some post-race comments below but purposely are holding off discussing the wind.
LRC: Wejo Speaks: Desiree Davila Inspires Us All At The 2011 Boston Marathon She had the entire press room and Alberto Salazar yelling for her.
LRC: Men's Post-Race Reaction The top 4 were all pleased with their blazing fast times. Ryan Hall summed up the magical day: "I am running 2:04 pace and I can't even see the leaders."
LRC: 2011 Boston Marathon Post-Race Reaction From Desiree, Caroline And Kara
*Video Highlights *Men's Post-Race Reaction/Interviews *Women's Post-Race Comments/Interviews
Webb Coaching Search
Not So Fast: LRC Julia Webb: Alan Webb HAS NOT FINALIZED PLANS To Head Back To Virginia To Be Coached By Jason Vigilante
Steve Nearman Stands Behind His Story
Steve Nearman, the former Washington Times reporter who first broke the story about Webb's pro contract in 2002, reported Wednesday night that sources (plural) close to Webb confirmed that Alan was going to be coached by UVA's Jason Vigilante and we said, "Nearman can be trusted." Well, Nearman is trusted in the industry, but Alan's wife Julia Webb has written and said, "Just wanted to give you a heads up that the story is definitely not true ... we are still looking at the options. No decisions made although Vig (is) still a good option." We contacted Nearman and relayed him Julia's comments and he said, "I stand by my story and I stand by my sources."
*RRW: Alan Webb's Agent Ray Flynn Calls Webb Story "Totally Bogus" In reality, Flynn said the story is "at this stage totally bogus."
*LRC MB: *Julia Webb (Alan's wife) Has Written and Said Webb to UVA Story is Not Accurate *Thread On Webb-Vig
- LRC: Desiree Davila Looking For Respect In Boston Davila finished one spot behind Kara Goucher at the last World Championships in the marathon, and she's hoping to finally
out of Kara's shadow at Monday's Boston Marathon. LetsRun.com has spent the last six years getting a mole into the Hansons-Brooks team, and now thanks to him we have this inside look at Desiree's preparations for Boston, which has included a 123-mile week. Article and video interview plus some video of the Hansons-Brooks training runs.
South African Champs *Results (Scroll Down)
- Caster Semenya Does 800m/1,500m Double At S. African Champs (2:02 And 4:12) Her first minor test at 1,500m was successful.
- S. African Outdoor Champs: Olympic Silver Medallist Khotso Mokoena Wins Long Jump, Blade Runner Doesn't Make Final
- S. African Hammer Throw Champ Chris Harmse Wins His 16th-Straight National Title The Commonwealths champ can never compete in the Olympics because the hammer is always on Sunday, and for religious reasons, he can't compete on Sunday (Eric Liddell would approve).
2011 World XC *Results *New Women's Race Photos *New Men's Race Photos
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36th, as he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
*Merga: "Before I used to think of myself as a track runner but this winter I have got to like cross-country races more."
*Craig Mottram Finishes As Top Non-Afrrican Born Male In 21st As Two Guys Ahead Of Him Are DQed For Fighting In Race To Line Eritrea's Samuel Tsegay and Ethiopia's Abera Kuma were given the DQ.
Junior Boys: Geoffrey Kipsang Leads Kenya To 13th Straight Title Kipsang was only 4th at the Kenyan Trials but dominated. High schooler Craig Lutz was the first American in 29th.
Junior Girls: Faith Kipyegon Of Kenya Wins, But Ethiopia Edges Them For Team Title High schooler Aisling Cuffe was the first American in 17th.
Other Nationals *NCAA D3 Champs *NCAA D2 Champs *HS Nationals Results *Photos
HS: Lukas V. Runs Away From The Top Milers To Complete Historic High School Nationals Triple His double on Sunday was super-impressive, but we had completely forgotten about German
8:34 double at the California state meet.
*IAAF Article On Verzbicas
We Wrote This Article Too Soon:
Gerry Lindgren's Legendary 47-Year-Old High School National Record Survives Scare From Lukas Verzbicas And Edward Cheserek Verzbicas hammered home over the final lap to pull away from Cheserek, but in the end, Lindgren's 8:40.0 lived to see another day, as Verzbicas ran 8:40.70 and Cheserek shattered the indoor and overall sophomore class records with his 8:42.66. More: Gerry Lindgren 8:40 Indoors *LRC MB Lukas V. 8:40.7!! *LRC MB So close *Running Times Q&A With Lindgren About His 8:40.0 Note: This article incorrectly implies the record was set in a 16-lap race.
*Lucas Verzbicas (14:06.78) & (Waverly Neer) 16:35.15 Set National HS 5,000 Records
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
Records For Rupp And Farah *Video Of Rupp's And Farah's Race
Galen Rupp & Mo Farah Set National 5k Records!
(13:11.44 and 13:10.60) The two Alberto Salazar-coached athletes put on a brave battle, with Farah coming out on top on the last lap, as Rupp regained his American record from Bernard Lagat by .06. Rupp and Farah will be training together through 2012 and their partnership is off to a strong start. Rupp is scheduled to go for the American 10k record next week in New Zealand. The meet also saw a cool 400m hurdles race (video
here or on the right), an 8:30 3k and American Morgan Uceny going sub-2:00 in the 800.
*Mo Farah Breaks British 5,000m Record With His New Coach Alberto Salazar One Of The 8,000 In Attendance Telegraph.co.uk
*Farah Credits Salazar's Coaching
*Rupp/Farah 5k Video
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
Yenew Alamirew Kicks Some Butt In Doha 3,000m (Final Lap Or Highlight Of Race)
Allyson Felix Wins Doha 400
Highlights Of Exciting High Jump In Doha, Won By American Jesse Williams
Walter Dix 20.06 In Doha
Stanford Photo Gallery
*Bernard Lagat Says He Wants To Run 12:49 "In my head, I have just put all eggs into that one basket. Monaco. 5,000 meters. If I don't get it there, I don't know when I will get it. It's good to aim high because to me 12:49 is the highest I can put it now."
*IAAF Daegu World Challenge Preview: Recent Drake Relays Mile Champ Boaz Lalang Vs. World 1,500m Champ Yusuf Saad Kamel In The 800 David Oliver in 110 hurdles and Carmelita Jeter in 100m also headline field.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Praise For Kara And Desiree, Dirt Tracks In America, German Fernandez And Mental Barriers As you recover from Boston and London and get ready for Penn, Drake, and Stanford, we have some praise for Kara Goucher and Desiree Davila's sportsmanship, look at some young American milers struggling, and much more.
Better Late Than Never - London 2011 Photos
XC Running Goes Mainstream
Andrew Bumbalough Thriving In 1st Year As Pro One Year After Getting Mono And Nearly Being Left Out Of Nike's Plans This is an unbelievably good piece of writing for a college newspaper. It also reveals he's gotten his mileage up to 90 per week from 65 to 70 in college.
Boston (Updated Photo Gallery Below) *Recap Analysis: *JK On The Wind *Wejo On Desiree *Rojo *London And Boston *Video Highlights
2:03:02 In Boston: Men's Highlights From Boston (More Here)
Desiree Davila Pure Guts
Emmanual Mutai Becomes A Star, Legend Martin Lel Outkicks Makau (You Can Watch The Full Race Here)
Mary Keitany Crushes London (Highlights And Post Race Comments)
Desiree Davila Ready For Boston (More In-Depth Here)
Question Of The Day?
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Scheduling Rest Days - How Often?
- stress fracture twice in same bone in 6 months...HELP
- Coaching that once-in-a-career athlete
- Is there any point doing tempo runs if your event is 3200m or shorter? Let us just chime in with an emphatic yes.
- Anyone get sick or catch a cold right after a race???
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Training Talk Is Back
Training Talk With New Marathon Star Stephanie Rothstein And Ben Bruce Stephanie lowered her marathon PR by over 10 minutes, skipping the 2:30s entirely, running 2:29:35 in Houston. And she's still got her sights on lowering it another 10 minutes. Textual recap coming later, but you can listen above or download the podcast here (1:30).
Save Some Cash
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top