- Strong Kenyans Will Chase Course Record And Give Haile A Run In Vienna Field is headlined by 2:06 man and former World Half Champ Paul Kirui.
- OstravaMeet To Feature Star Lineup Including David Rudisha In The 1000, Usain Bolt, High Jumper Ivan Ukhov, & Blade Runner In The 400 WR for 1000m is 2:11.96 by former Olympic Champ Noah Ngeny but Rudisha says he does not expect to hit that his first time racing at this distance. Meet will also feature double Olympic champ Veronica Campbell-Brown, World/Olympic
javelin champ Andreas Thorkildsen, 110m hurdles WR holder Dayron Robles, European 400m hurdles champ David Greene, world 400m hurdles leader LJ van Zyl, & hammer WR holder Anita Wlodarczyk.
Bolt VS Gay
AP: One Track Mind - Gay Closing Gap On Bolt
Usain Bolt Shares His Unique Perspectives On Running And Life In Lengthy USA Today Profile "When people come to watch you, yeah, they want to see you compete, but they want to see something different, I think. And that's why I love people come to see me, because I make them enjoy watching me run."
- Unbelievable: Qatar Basically Fires Renato Canova As It Starts To De-Emphasize Track After Getting World Cup & Getting Beat By Bahrain At Asian Games People may not realize this but developments like this are HUGE for any American man's chances for a medal at 5k or 10k.
- An Analysis of British Prime Minister David Cameron's Running Stride Let's just say the experts say he's way better at running a country than running.
- IOC Issues New Guidelines To Avoid A Repeat Of The Caster Semenya Fiasco *2nd article
- Blog With UK's Tom Payn, 2:17 Man Who Took Last Few Months Off Of Work To Train Full Time In Kenya And Try To Reach The Next Level "Stage 1" of his experiment culminates in the London Marathon next week.
Some International Results/Interviews
- Kenyan Vincent Rono Set Men's 10k World Lead With 27:52 To Win The Trofeo Iberico Portugal's runners also ran well, as Rui Silva and Ana Dulce Félix both ran European-leading times with 27:53 (2nd place) and 31:33 (1st).
- Gary Cohen Interviews 2:23 Russian Marathoner Olga Markova Who Won Boston Twice In '92 & '93
- Amy Hastings—AKA "Little Deena"—Is Finding Her Marathoning Future With The Mammoth Track Club
- RunPro.com: Q&A With Jenny Scherer Of Hansons-Brooks Who Made The Transition From DIII To Pro
- Highlights From The Start Of Outdoor Track In Japan
- Q&A With UK's World 800m Champ Jenny Meadows "If you've stepped off the track and you've not achieved your potential and it was only because of your own wrongdoing I feel really miserable. I know there's a lot more in life that could be wrong and that people have other things going on in life but I'm just not happy if I've let myself down, so it's the worst feeling ever."
- Interview With Craig Mottram On World XC And Looking Ahead To Outdoors
Jamaican HS Champs
*So Holmwood Technical Coach Says "Winning Never Gets Old" After Winning 9th Straight Jamaican Girl's Track Championships
*Missed Deadline Costly For Some Jamaican Schools
*Jamaican HS 2K Steeple Champ Dedicates Win To Deceased Mother www.jamaicaobserver.com
*Jamaica College Wins In Sold-Out National Stadium In the US, we don't even get this excited for college or pro track championships, forget about high school.
*IAAF: Ristananna Tracey Triple (400, 400H, 800) Highlights Jamaican High School Champs In Kingston
Health And Running
- Good: Among NCAA Athletes, Cross-Country Runners Least Likely To Die
*Amid Debate Over Heart Checks For Young Athletes, Study Tracks Rare NCAA Deaths
- Bad: NY Times: A Warning On Overuse Injuries For Youths
European Action Shows How Stellar World Cross-Country Is
Netherlands: Micah Kogo's 27:15 Triumphs Over Mike Kigen's 27:26, Irina Miktenko Wins women's Race In 32:06 In Brunssum
*2nd Article On Mikitenko
Spain Track: World XC (And 5k) Champ Vivian Cheruiyot Clocks 31:07 10,000m In Spain In Her Track Debut This appears to be Cheruiyot just getting the world 10k qualifier out of the way in case she wants to try to double.
Prague: 7th-Placer At 2011 World Cross, Philemon Limo, Breaks Course Record With 59:30, As Lydia Cheromei Breaks Women's Record With 67:33 Limo's time
also didn't set the world lead for 2011, but it's a barnburner nonetheless.
Berlin: 2011 Jr. World Cross Champion Geoffery Kipsang Runs 60:38 Two Weeks After Winning World Cross & Calls Pace "A Bit Too Slow" The 18-year-old was hoping for sub-60. Meanwhile, in America, people go bonkers when a teen runs 67 minutes. An 18-year-old Kenyan won the women's race in 70:12.
News From Kenya: Narok, Kenya Recap: Asbel Kiprop Only 3rd In 800m In 1:49.7
- Who Is Fighting For The Rights Of NCAA Athletes?
- NY Post: College Athletes Are Being Paid; It's Called Athletic Scholarships "You explain how it is that a $50,000 scholarship isn't the same as being paid. Handsomely."
- NCAA Has Much To Clean Up, If It So Desires
- Kentucky's Sharif Webb Breaks School 800m Record At Florida Relays With 1:47.19
- Greek Track Coach Petros Kyprianou Helping Athletes In Greece And US By Coaching In The NCAA
*After 2 More Throwing PRs, Ashton Eaton's Combined PRs Top 9,000 Points His PRs would get him 9,012 points exactly, which is only 14 points off the world record.
*Defending Boys/Girls Champs Lukas Verzbicas & Maddie Meyers, As Well As Jantzen Oshier (4:07), Announced As First Preps To Attend Adidas Dream Mile
- Third Suspect Arrested In London Olympic Park Explosive Inquiry USA Today
- Top German Distance Runner Sabrina Mockenhaupt Uses A Picture Of Paula Radcliffe Passing Her As Motivation During Training
- Seb Coe Attacks BOA's "Depressing" Stance Over Profits From 2012 Games
- Great Britain's David Greene Shooting For Kriss Akabusi's 20-Year-Old National 400m Hurdles Record Of 47.82
- UK's Top 400m Hurdler, Perri Shakes-Drayton, Looking Forward To Daegu And London After Just Missing Out On Beijing Olympics In 2008
Australia: Jana Pittman Wins Her First Race In Nearly 2 Years, Jeff Riseley Drops Down To Beat National Champ Lachlan Renshaw At 800 Riseley will race Craig Mottram at 1,500m at the Australian Champs.
April Fools News
LetsRun's 2011 April Fools Edition Yesterday's homepage was an April Fools prank. However, the news the day before on Alan Webb leaving Alberto Salazar and (according to our source) no longer receiving paychecks from Nike was not part of the prank.
Alberto Salazar Talks With More Detail And Says There Are No Hard Feelings With Alan Webb Leaving Oregonian
Alan Webb Parts Ways With Alberto
LRC Alan Webb Switching Coaches The American record holder in the mile has called it quits on the coaching experiment with Alberto Salazar after 19 months. No official word yet on where Webb goes next. This is Webb's third major coaching switch in his career due to performances he was frustrated with. And for those of you who question Webb's future, remember this Alberto Salazar quote from last year: "I would have to say that even my athletes agree as a group - Galen Rupp and Dathan Ritzenhein - we all know he (Alan Webb) is the most talented in the whole group."
Big News Coming From The UK
Sammy Wanjiru Out - Martin Lel In For Virgin London Marathon Wanjiru, who only months ago was accused of attempted murder, is out with a supposed knee injury. The good news is that three time London champ Martin Lel, who hasn't run a marathon since the Olympics, is in as a late addition. Prior to his recent injury woes, Lel was viewed by many as the best marathoner on the planet. *LRC MB *Sammy Out Of London *Wanjiru Out, Lel In
- UVA Receives $5 Million From Volleyball Alum - Will Build $14 Million Track & Field Facility If only money could get the ACC to take track seriously and put outdoor ACCs after Penn Relays.
- AJ Acosta's 3rd Place Finish At Stanford Was Just Start Of Season He Hopes Will Run Into July
- Texas Men Beat UCLA & Arkansas In Tri-Meet 2009 WC team member Dorian Ulrey opened his outdoor season with a .90 victory in the in the 800 in 1:51.23. *Results *Video Highlights
Recommended Read Ato Boldon's 10 Pieces Of Wise Advise That Current Pro Track Athletes Don't Understand (But Retired Ones Do) Among the highlights, he advises staying away from European wine and women and to beware of falling in love with insincere shoe companies.
Outdoors Is Here - Stanford Invite: Schedule, Entries, Live Results, Non-Live Videos: *Rspace.com *Ftrack.org
- Stanford Results: Men's Distance Events
- Women's Distance Events
- Jessica Pixler Runs World-Leading 5k For Outdoor Season With 15:25.58 To Beat Olympian Jen Rhines
- The Oregonian: Keep An Eye On Oregon's Women's 4 X 100, Who Won Stanford In 44.47
- The Oregon State Women's 5k Record Was Broken Twice Within Half An Hour At Stanford Hayley Oveson broke it first with a time of 16:34.01 and then 21 minutes later, her teammate Laura Carlyle re-broke it by running 16:19.00.
The Only Required Reading In The Industry
LRC: Week That Was: Flanagan Gets Bronze, Rupp Makes An Impressive Debut, An American Runs 2:27 At LA, And The US XC Dream Team Sure, we bet you know about Shalane Flanagan's bronze at World XC and Galen Rupp's half marathon in NYC. But we help put these in perspective and tell you about the American who ran 2:27 in LA (Amy Hastings) and wonder how well the US dream team of Lagat, Rupp, Solinsky, Tegenkamp and Ritz would do at World XC. And of course the most important news of the week, the fight at World XC.
2011 NYC Half *Top 50 Results (link fixed) *LRC Photos (updated) *Great On-Demand Video Coverage
Mo Farah Gets Win & Caroline Rotich Gets Course Record But Galen Rupp Steals The Headlines In his half marathon debut, Mo Farah won a 3-way
Gebremariam and Galen
Rupp as he took the victory in 60:23. Rupp made waves early by wearing a mask, then falling down, but then made way bigger waves late with his legs as he got faster each 5k (15:05-14:27-14:04-13:53) to became the 5th-fastest American in history thanks to his spectacular 60:30 debut. The "old guard" of US men's distance running
do nearly as well, as Meb Keflezighi ran 62:52, Abdi ran 63:12 and Ryan Hall was way back in 63:53. But the "old" woman, Kara Goucher, was great as she ran 69:03 to get third (remember she ran 74:02 in January).
*Telegraph Recap: Mo Farah Wins His Half Marathon Debut In New York Afterwards, he says Salazar has him in the best shape of his life.
*Salazar's Runners Farah, Rupp And Goucher All Leave New York Very Pleased
*RRW Recap *AP Recap Of NYC Half Marathon *WSJ Recap Of NYC Half Marathon
*Alistair Cragg Breaks Martin Fagan's Irish Record By Running 60:49
Zersenay Tadese Misses His Own WR But Runs 2nd-Fastest Half Marathon Ever (58:30) In Portugal Despite having little help from rabbits and having to run into the wind the last 3 miles, Tadese was great as usual at the 13.1 distance.
2011 NCAA Champs *Full Results *2011 Event-By-Event Results With Splits *LRC Women's Preview *LRC Men's Preview *LRC Day 1 Photos *Video Highlights (48 Hours Only) Within Articles Or On Right
Day 2: LRC 3ks: Hasay Becomes A Legend, Heath Unleashes His Legendary Kick As of Fri. night, Jordan Hasay was viewed as the former teen prodigy who couldn't quite kick for the big one in college. Now, just as was the case for Galen Rupp two years ago, she is college distance running's biggest star, as she won the mile and then came back in the 3k to make herself into a legend by turning the tables on Sheila Reid. Stanford's Elliott Heath's kick was even more lethal, as he destroyed a super-talented men's 3k field over the final 140m. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 2: LRC Mid-D: Hasay Gets Title #1, Batty Gets Title #2, Fred Samoei Wins A Nailbiter, And BYU's Bleazard Dominates After being outkicked in the DMR on Fri. night, Jordan Hasay outkicked the competition to grab her first NCAA title as BYU's Miles Batty completed the double in the men's mile, holding off a spirited challenge from Tulsa's Chris O'Hare. The men's 800 featured the best finish of the night as Michael Rutt's bold move to the lead 400 meters in almost held up. In the women' s 800, BYU's Lacey Bleazard won her 2nd indoor title - it's a shame the ESPN3 announcers had no idea who she was. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 1: LRC DMR: Villanova's Reid Outkicks Oregon's Hasay, BYU's Miles Batty Holds Off Incredible 3:53 Anchor From Andy Bayer Both DMRs had great finishes. The women were first and 'Nova's Sheila
Reid and Oregon's Jordan
Hasay put on
battle for the ages. On the men's side, Andy Bayer split a sick 3:53 to take Indiana from 9th to 2nd, but it was not enough to overtake BYU's Miles Batty, as the night of incredible men's distance running continued with three sub-3:55 splits. Arizona's Lawi Lalang split 3:56.9 and his team lost 3 spots. Recap, interviews, photos, and video of last laps.
LRC 5,000m Recaps: Unheralded Leonard Korir Storms To NCAA Record, Jackie Areson Impresses, Mia Behm Surprises Everyone The men's 5,000m witnessed Iona's Leonard Korir winning a scorching-fast 5k in 13:26.01 over Sam Chelanga, as three guys broke the previous NCAA meet record. On the women's side, Jackie Areson put on a display over the last 600m and Mia Behm, who was 7th at the Big 12, shocked everyone to get 2nd.
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*Ahwatukee.com Article On Meyerhoff's Death
*New York Road Runners Article
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
Melbourne Track Classic *LRC Melbourne Talk *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Photo Gallery *Post-Race 5k Interviews *Recap & 5k Video
A Dream Outdoor US Track Matchup In March In Australia
LRC: Bernard Lagat Wins And Leads Five To "A" Standard; Jeff Risesey Stuns Kiprop And Willis (And Webb) In 1,500; David Rudisha Cruises To 1:43.88 Win In 800 The Melbourne Track Classic was full of hot distance action. In the 5k, Lagat (13:08.43) pulled away from Chris Solinsky (13:10.22) and then held off a shocking late charge by Australia's Ben St. Lawrence, who had a massive 15-second personal best to finish second, as Matt Tegenkamp and the surprising Andrew Bumbalough also got the "A"' standard. In the 1,500, Jeff Riseley came in saying he was in even better shape than last year and then backed it up by getting an upest win for the second-straight year in 3:36.71, as American Alan Webb (3:37.82) drastically improved his 2011 fortunes by finishing right behind the Olympic gold medallist Asbel Kiprop (3:37.63) and well ahead of the Olympic silver medallist Nick Willis (3:38.76), as David Rudisha (1:43.88) and Nick Symmonds (1:45.08) opened fast.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Haile G Jokes, Bernard, Galen And Jenny, The Track & Field Labor Dispute, And Our Hero Kawauchi We span the globe to cover the running world like no one else. From the roads of Tokyo to the mountains of New Mexico, we've got it covered.
LRC Bernard Lagat Wins 3,000m At USA Indoors And Makes It Look Easy Galen Rupp tried his best to beat Bernard Lagat on Saturday night, but Lagat ran away from Rupp with ease on the final lap, reminding us how damn good he is at 3,000m. Last year, when Lagat won World Indoors, we said he was "Utterly Brilliant." This one was "utterly smooth." Jenny Simpson ran away from Sara Hall on the last lap to win the women's 3,000m. More Sunday.
*On The Boards: USATF 5000m: Lagat, 7:57.17, Rupp 7:59.91
*Day 1 Photos
The Secret Is ... There Is No Secret
- Fire At USATF's Office Building
*MB Thread: USATF Up In Flames - Literally!!!
- Charlotte Running Club Sets 100 x 5k Relay WR That's 100 different people running 100 5k's continuously. It took a little under 31 hours.
- 92 Year Old Is Oldest Woman To Finish A Marathon, Still Walks 45 Miles A Week Most of us hope we can still walk/are alive at that age. And she didn't even know she was setting a record when she did it as she does one almost every year.
- Olympic Gold Medalist Natasha Hastings Sets Leading 200m Time & Relay Record At Florida Relays
HS Sprinter Octavious Freeman Has Lost Only One Race In Career, Shooting For 100m NR Of 11.11 She seems to have a pretty tough coach in her father.
- STRIVE Trips A Chance For Runners To Train In Kenya And Do Public Service Projects
- What Happened To College Dual Meets? They Disappeared, Along With The Scholarships Oregon Coach Vin Lananna talks about some of the obstacles to hosting scored meets at this level.
- The Oregonian: A.J. Acosta Has Some Things To Accomplish Before He Leaves Oregon “Win a national championship, try to get my first Pac-10 championship, and see where it goes from there."
- Should College Athletes Get Paid? This Writer Says Absolutely Not
- In NCAA, Cheating Not Taken Seriously
- D-I Week One Outdoor Rankings: No Change To Number Ones, LSU Women Move to No. 2
- Lincoln’s Women Makes Move To No. 1 In D-II Outdoor Team Rankings
- European Women's Marathon Champ Zivile Balciunaite Gets Two Year Ban For Doping Of course she didn't do it though, it's because of drugs "her gynaecologist prescribed her".
- Athens Prosecutor Wants Greek Sprinters Found Guilty ... Decision Coming Soon?
This trial has been postponed about a hundred times and the article says "a decision is expected in the coming few days" but we'll believe that when we hear it.
*Greek Sprinters Won't Face Maximum Sentence If Convicted
- WADA Suggests Scrapping 'B' Sample Tests
- Recommended Read Former Olympic Runner Vicki Huber Rudawsky Praises Deleware Coach Jim Fischer For Inspiring Her To Go On "He loves running, loves track and field, and is willing to help anyone else who shares in that love. He coaches without judgment, without pity, without needing an explanation as to why someone wants to run, even though they may not be the most talented."
- Sally Meyerhoff Foundation To Help Aspiring Runners
- Tyson Gay Wants To Secure His Legacy And Racing Every Race Like It's His Last "I told several people that I don't want to leave the sport and say what coulda, shoulda, what if. So every race I run, I run like it's my last, so even though a lot of professional athletes took off last year or didn't run hard, I ran every race hard like it's my last race as you never know."
- Hayward Field To Host Pepsi Team Invitational - Scored Meet Between Oregon, Stanford, Nebraska, And Washington
- Q&A With US Olympic Marathoner Magdalena Lewy Boulet Who Will Run In London Later This Month
- Interview With Team USA Minnesota's Jason Lehmkuhle He was 5th at US Half Champs and is aiming for 2:10 at London.
- Running Back Jamaal Charles Might Return To Track If NFL Lockout Continues
- Coming To America Can Be A Long Process For Kenyans
- "What Legacy? It's All About Bloody Football, When It Should Be About Athletics"
- IOC Say They Will Not Intervene Further In BOA Cash Dispute
- USA Today: If The 2012 Games Are Cancelled, It's OK, They Have Insurance
- Experienced Race Director Of London Marathon Quits Role As Organizer For Olympic Marathon Over His "Frustration" With Locog "We [the London Marathon] are a professional business run by professionals and it was very difficult to work for another organisation who in the main have never organised an event of their own."
- World Anti-Doping Agency Accuses Athletes Of Manipulating Drug Tests By Diluting Their Urine Samples
- IOC Will Announce New Gender Guidelines For 2012
- IOC Report Condemns BOA Over London 2012 Cash Dispute
Stellar US Road Action
Washington DC: Lelisa
Desisa Breaks 16-Year-Old Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Record In 45:36 To Win
2nd Race In Two Days And Complete $18,250 Weekend Desisa, who won Bolder Boulder and set a course record at Boilermaker last year, is making a name for himself on the roads. First on Saturday was a $10,000 sprint win at the Cooper Bridge Run in S. Carolina. He followed that up with a stellar 45:36 in DC to break the course record and win an additional $8,250. Julliah Tinega got the sprint win
Carlsbad: With 2 Shoes This Time, Dejen Gebremeskel Outkicks Eliud Kipchoge To Win Carlsbad 5,000m, Aheza Kiros Gets Her 2nd Carlsbad Crown Gebremeskel is the guy who ran most of the Boston 3,000m this year with one shoe before outkicking Mo Farah there. In San Diego, he just sat on former world champ Kipchoge until it was time to win. Kiros is most known for winning Carlsbad, as this was her second win at Carlsbad.
*Results Jen Rhines and Bobby Curtis 3rd, Christin Wurth-Thomas 4th, and Ben St. Lawrence with a really bad performance (he's struggled since beating Solinsky at 5,000m in Australia).
Saturday: Lelisa Desisa Wins Cooper Bridge Run And $10,000
Ukrop Richmond Monument Ave. 10k: Megan Wright Defends, Julius Kogo Wins
US Track Action
LSU: Texas A&M Sweeps Team Titles At LSU Invite We may not agree with all of A&M coach Pat Henry's ideas for the sport, but share one common goal with him - getting butts in the seats at track meets. We applaud his efforts tremendously - and three cheers for LSU scoring the meet, and this quote from Henry: "It's exciting for our group and something that needs to happen
in track (having scored meets). We scored all of our home indoor meets and this is another
attempt to try to help track and field while getting people in the
stands to watch someone win a track meet."
LSU Results Tabarie Henry's 44.84 led 3 Aggies under 45.50 in the 400, and LSU's Brittany Hall (2:04.88) and Charlene Lipsey (2:05.12) in the 800 were #1 and #2 in the country.
Florida Relays: Francena McCorory 50.50 400m, Jeff Demps 10.07 100m
UCLA-Tennessee: *Tennessee Women Edge UCLA By 1 Point At Dual Meet In California
*UCLA Men Crush Tennessee In Dual Meet
US Women Receiving Some Lengthy Profiles In Major Publications
Sally Meyerhoff Profiled In Washington Post On Eve Of Cherry Blossom Ten Miler Meyerhoff had set the US 10-mile record in Washington in 2009 and the
Post has written a nice article. For all of those of you that the LRC
message boards are so bad, we encourage you to read the comments below the
article on Meyerhoff, where people rip her for exercising a lot and for
running a stop sign.
Recommended Read: SD Union-Tribune: Three-Time Olympian Jen Rhines Thrives As She Ages The article is great, as it gives insight on how Rhines first got started in the sport and how she manages to thrive into her late thirties (motivation and attention to detail). Plus, it also reveals Rhines is aiming for the 10,000 in 2012.
Some Big Goals
- Teddy Tamgho Has A Three-Step (Pardon The Pun) Plan For The Triple Jump: Win Worlds, Win The Olympics, And Break The World Record The first time Teddy Tamgho met Jonathan Edwards, he told Edwards he was going to break his record. Currently, Tamgho is 3rd all-time with 17.98m, while Edwards has the record at 18.29m.
- At 54 Years Old, Francis Kimeli Kemei Is Still Training/Racing Hard And Shooting For A Sub-75 Minute Half
Looking Ahead To 2012
- 4-Time Olympic Silver Medallist Frankie Fredericks Feels Sorry For Usain Bolt's Rivals As He Knows What It's Like To Finish Second "There are some great challengers out there but I feel sorry for them a bit growing up and being born in the same era as Usain Bolt."
- Irish Marathoners May Catch A Break Athletics Ireland is contemplating softening its strict "A" standard policy for the 2012 Games after they have demanded strict standards for World Champs in Daegu, saying the IAAF standards "were too easily attained."
- UK Coach Charles Van Commenee Is "Glad The Olympics Are In 2012, Not 2011," As He Wants As Much Time As Possible To Prepare His goal for the UK is 8 medals.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Sage Advice There was not a ton of action on the track last week, so we go behind the scenes and give you lots of wise advice from Renato Canova, Lisa Dobriskey, Ato Boldon and others. Plus we look at Sara Hall's chances in the steeple.
News From Britain
- A MUST READ: Daily Mail Introduces Britain To Tyson Gay: "He is the second fastest man in history, and that is precisely what he does not want to be." The Quote of the Day for Saturday needs to come from this great article. Tyson Gay is living proof of what Renato Canova was talking about yesterday.
- Telegraph Looks At How 4 Of The World's Top Sprinters Are Faring 1+ Year Out From London
- Tyson Gay & Asafa Powell To Clash Twice At Both Of Britian's Diamond League Meets Tax laws will keep Usain Bolt away.
- Mark Lewis Francis Hopes To Be Back From Injury Soon
- Olympic VIllage On Track & WIll Be Done By End Of 2011 Says Seb Coe
- Tottenham Not Giving Up On Appeal About Olympic Stadium
- Paralympics Head Says Event Won't Lose Money
The Bonds Trial: Barry Bonds Childhood Friend And Business Partner Says He Saw Bonds' Trainer With A Syringe And Barry And Trainer Discuss Steroids
We Haven't Given This The Attention It Deserves: (Update: Lengthy AP Article) Agent To Some Of The Sport's Stars, Mark Block, To Appeal 10-Year Ban From Sport Block is a fairly big agent in the sport and was busted last week by USADA. His agency now represents Xavier Carter, Carmelita Jeter, Nick Symmonds and others. Block was the President of the agency and presumably the owner and is listed on the Association of Athletics Managers website. Now the old staff page is gone, and former Director of Communications Chris Layne is listed as Managing Director. Not sure if owning the agency is considered involvement in the sport. Block's statement say the decision "misstated the evidence." You can read the decision yourself here which includes this: "Mark Block also admitted paying Balco/Conte for all the drugs received by Mark Block, including EPO, 'The Clear' and 'The Cream' and Modafinil." Good riddance unless overturned on appeal.
Mark Block USADA Decision
2011 World XC *Results *New Women's Race Photos *New Men's Race Photos
World XC News We Didn't Cover Monday:
*Kenya's Linet Masai Just Misses World XC Title For Third Straight Year
*South Africa's Stephen Mokoka Happy With His 15th Place Finish This equals the best finish ever for a SA senior male runner.
*Craig Mottram Pleased With World XC Run
*World XC Champ Imane Merga Has One More XC Race This Weekend, Then Will Turn Focus To Track And with our sport's emphasis on time, he still has to go out and get a 10k qualifier. IAAF
*Faith Kipyegon Chepngetich Won Girls Juniors Barefoot
*New Women's Race Photos
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
*IAAF Recap Of Women's Race
*Charlotte Purdue Is Top European On Weekend In 14th In Women's Race If you weren't born in Africa, you didn't finish any better than 21st in the men's race, which is where Craig Mottram finished - aided in part as two guys ahead of him came to blows as they ran down the finishing straight. *2nd LRC MB Thread On Fight
*Japanese Jr. Girls Earn Bronze
*Cheruiyot: "I have won everything now, save for that elusive Olympic medal."
*Nice Recap Of Women's Race *Nice Recap Of Races From Kenyan Perspective *Athletics Weekly Recap Of World 2011 World XC *Video Highlights Of World XC Women's Race
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36th, as he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
*Merga: "Before I used to think of myself as a track runner but this winter I have got to like cross-country races more."
*Craig Mottram Finishes As Top Non-Afrrican Born Male In 21st As Two Guys Ahead Of Him Are DQed For Fighting In Race To Line Eritrea's Samuel Tsegay and Ethiopia's Abera Kuma were given the DQ.
Junior Boys: Geoffrey Kipsang Leads Kenya To 13th Straight Title Kipsang was only 4th at the Kenyan Trials but dominated. High schooler Craig Lutz was the first American in 29th.
Junior Girls: Faith Kipyegon Of Kenya Wins, But Ethiopia Edges Them For Team Title High schooler Aisling Cuffe was the first American in 17th.
Week That Was
LRC 10 Thoughts On NCAAs We go behind the results and point out some interesting stats from the NCAAs. We not only look at Jordan Hasay's amazing weekend, but also point out how great her DMR loss was. Then we look at the emergence of Elliott Heath and tell you why he likely will end up on an Olympic or Worlds team. Along the way, we give out a history lesson about the greatness of John McDonnell and remind ourselves how he defeated the whole NCAA combined from 1984 to 2008. We also hand out some sympathy for Diego Estrada and Lali Lalang and give some advice to the folks at ESPN. At the very least, it's worth clicking on, as we have a chart with the last 10 years of NCAA mid-d and distance champs on the men's side so you can take a trip down memory lane.
Other Nationals *NCAA D3 Champs *NCAA D2 Champs *HS Nationals Results *Photos
HS: Lukas V. Runs Away From The Top Milers To Complete Historic High School Nationals Triple His double on Sunday was super-impressive, but we had completely forgotten about German
8:34 double at the California state meet.
*IAAF Article On Verzbicas
We Wrote This Article Too Soon:
Gerry Lindgren's Legendary 47-Year-Old High School National Record Survives Scare From Lukas Verzbicas And Edward Cheserek Verzbicas hammered home over the final lap to pull away from Cheserek, but in the end, Lindgren's 8:40.0 lived to see another day, as Verzbicas ran 8:40.70 and Cheserek shattered the high school indoor and overall sophomore class records with his 8:42.66. More: Gerry Lindgren 8:40 indoors *LRC MB Lukas V. 8:40.7!! *LRC MB So close *Running Times Q&A With Lindgren About His 8:40.0 Note: This article incorrectly implies the record was set in a 16-lap race.
*Lucas Verzbicas (14:06.78) & (Waverly Neer) 16:35.15 Set National HS 5,000 Records
Sally Meyerhoff News
- Recommended Read: Sally Meyerhoff Left A Positive Impression On Arizona Journalist Jeff Metcalfe Before she died, Meyerhoff was very happy with where she was in her life.
- Famed Announcer Toni Reavis Writes A Poem About Sally Meyerhoff
- Sally Meyerhoff's Death Felt At High School Meet In Arizona Her former HS teammate, who is now coach, broke down in tears as she handed out blue ribbons (in honor of Duke) to the current athletes on the team.
- US 25k Elite Athlete Coordinator And Former Boston Marathon Champ Greg Meyer Devastated By Meyerhoff's Death He says Meyerhoff was the life of the party the year she won her US title and danced up a storm at Grand Rapids' Crush Nightclub.
- Meyerhoff's Fatal Cycling Accident One Of Roughly 700 Each Year
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
Records For Rupp And Farah *Video Of Rupp's And Farah's Race
Galen Rupp & Mo Farah Set National 5k Records!
(13:11.44 and 13:10.60) The two Alberto Salazar-coached athletes put on a brave battle, with Farah coming out on top on the last lap, as Rupp regained his American record from Bernard Lagat by .06. Rupp and Farah will be training together through 2012 and their partnership is off to a strong start. Rupp is scheduled to go for the American 10k record next week in New Zealand. The meet also saw a cool 400m hurdles race (video
here or on the right), an 8:30 3k and American Morgan Uceny going sub-2:00 in the 800.
*Mo Farah Breaks British 5,000m Record With His New Coach Alberto Salazar One Of The 8,000 In Attendance Telegraph.co.uk
*Farah Credits Salazar's Coaching
*Rupp/Farah 5k Video
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
Dutch Heptathlete Jolanda Keizer Has Moved To Sweden To Train With Carolina Klüft Klüft, meanwhile, has still abandoned the heptathlon.
Running Documentary That Aired March 31st (For Reviews, Click Here)
Blows At World XC (More Info Here)
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Ritz's Injury Is Serious
Dathan Ritzenhein Has Surgery On His Achilles And Has Neuroma Removed On Other Foot The good news is Ritz saw the same surgeon Paula Radclife saw for her foot surgery (and the unofficial West Coast LRC surgeon Amol Saxena
Rojo's Achilles surgery)).
On The Boards: Ritz under the knife
The Greatest Comeback Ever?
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Definitely Worth A Read
Hall Of Fame Running Back And Olympic 400m Bronze Medalist (46.8) Ollie Matson Dies Our sport's history is amazing, as is Matson's story. He was on the 1951 Univ. of San Francisco team that he called the "greatest of all time" (they went undefeated and are the only college football team with 3 future NFL Hall of Famers on it). However, there was one "problem" with the team. It had two black players on it. That meant bowl inviations only if the black players didn't play. The team said no, the team lost $70,000 and the school CANCELLED football the next year. Amazing. Great Frank Litsky writeup.
Last 800m (Or Full Race) Of Galen Rupp's American Record Run In Britain
This Is Awesome: Indoor 400m Hurdles At Aviva Birmingham Meet
Training Talk Is Back
Training Talk With New Marathon Star Stephanie Rothstein And Ben Bruce Stephanie lowered her marathon PR by over 10 minutes, skipping the 2:30s entirely, running 2:29:35 in Houston. And she's still got her sights on lowering it another 10 minutes. Textual recap coming later, but you can listen above or download the podcast here (1:30).
Last 250 (Or Full Race - Rewind It) Of Dejen Gebremeskel Outkicking Mo Farah In Boston With 1 Shoe
Save Some Cash
Two Of The Best Running Movies Of All Time (Don't Believe Us? Click Here)
800m Royalty Together For The First Time Ever: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha (It's Well Worth A Watch If You Have The Time, Or Read The Recap Here)
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top