Philemon Limo Breaks Prague Half Marathon Record With 59:30, Lydia Cheromei Breaks Women's Record With 67:33 Limo's time also set the world lead for 2011.
- NY Post: College Athletes Are Being Paid, It's Called Athletic Scholarships "You explain how it is that a $50,000 scholarship isn’t
the same as being paid. Handsomely."
- NCAA Has Much to Clean Up, If It So Desires
- Kentucky's Sharif Webb Breaks School 800m Record At Florida Relays With 1:47.19
- Greek Track Coach Petros Kyprianou Helping Athletes In Greece And US By Coaching In The NCAA
*After 2 More Thorwing PRs Ashton Eaton’s Combined PRs Top 9,000 Points His PRs would get him 9,012 points exactly, which is only 26 points off the world record.
*DefendingBoys/Girls Champs Lukas Verzbicas & Maddie Meyers As Well As Jantzen Oshier(4:07) Announced As First Preps To Attend Adidas Dream Mile
- Third Suspect Arrested In London Olympic Park Explosive Inquiry USA Today
- Top German Distance Runner Sabrina Mockenhaupt Uses A Picture Of Paula Radcliffe Passing Her As Motivation During Training
- Seb Coe Attacks BOA's 'Depressing' Stance Over Profits From 2012 Games
- Great Britain's David Greene Shooting For Kriss Akabusi's 20 Year Old National 400m Hurdles Record Of 47.82
- UK'sTop 400m Hurdler Perri Shakes-Drayton Looking Forward To Daegu And London After Just Missing Out On Beijing Olympics In 2008
Kenya: Narok Kenya Recap: Pamela Jelimo Runs 200, Drops Out Of 1,500m With A Lap To Go, Asbel Kiprop Runs 1:50 800
Australia: Jana Pittman Wins Her First Race In Nearly 2 Years, Jeff Riseley Drops Down To Beat National Champ Lachlan Renshaw At 800 Riseley will race Craig Mottram at 1,500m at the Australian Champs.
April Fools News
LetsRun's 2011 April Fools Edition Yesterday's Homepage was an April Fools prank. However, the news the day before on Alan Webb leaving Alberto Salazar and (according to our source) no longer receiving paychecks from Nike was not part of the prank.
Alberto Salazar Talks With More Detail And Says There Are No Hard Feelings With Alan Webb Leaving Oregonian
Oregon: Oregon Stars To Race At Next Weekend's Pepsi Team Challenge
S. Africa: 19,617 Sign Up For Comrades UltraMarathon In S. Africa Knowing very little about it, this seems like one of the races you should do before you die. If any of you have run it, feel free to post here.
World Champs News: Japanese Men's Team Announced For World Champs And Kawauchi Is On It
Details On German IAAF Worlds Broadcasting Deal The IAAF wanted a deal for 2013 and 2015 for 12 million Euros and apparently got just 2013 for 3.5 million.
Three Interesting Reads - One That's Just A Great Story, One That's The Biggest Race Of The Weekend And One That Reminds You Why Tabloids Are So Popular
- Recommended Read Thanks To Big Brother Garrett, Elliott Heath Was Able To Rebound From Disappointing XC Finish To Dominate NCAA 3k Indoors The newly-crowned NCAA 3k champ, Elliott, says, "It's some advice my brother gave me when he was a junior: 'Speed kills, no matter what distance you're running. If things get tactical, it never hurts to have one more gear.'"
- Defending Champ Eliud Kipchoge Wants World Record At Carlsbad 5k But 1st He'll Have To Defeat Dejene Gebremeskel link fixed Gebremeskel, who ran 12:53 last year for 5k, is the guy that won the Boston meet indoors this year wearing only one shoe.
- Brief Chat With Dejene Gebremeskel
- Track & Field's Self-Admitted Drama Queen Back On Comeback Trail We're not sure if Jana Rawlinson is better known for being a two-time world champ or for "divorcing and then remarrying British athlete Chris Rawlinson and having breast implants removed because they impeded her running."
MY Run The Movie Went Nationwide Last Night
Meet The Movies Star - Terry Hitchcock - The Man Who Ran 75 Marathons In 75 consecutive Days Did we say he did this at age 57 after losing a wife to breast cancer? Hitchcock: "Doctors and runners told me I couldn't do it, it was humanly
impossible, but it was my dream, so no one was going to take my dream
away from me. I was simply showing everybody that every day we all experience our
own daily marathons. I thought that if I can run these daily marathons,
other people can look at me as an average guy and say, 'Well, if Terry
can do it, I can get through my tough days, too.'"
*Q&A With My Run Director Tim VandeSteeg
*LRC MB Talk: My Run Reviews
News From The West Coast
- Maggie Vessey Has A New Coach - Rose Monday We enjoyed interviewing her old coach Greg Brock when she had her big breakout in 2009.
- Vin Lananna Says All Of His Stars Will Run When His Ducks Clash With Oregon, Stanford & Washington Next Weekend
- Oregon Fresh Phenom Sam Crouser Is Out With Injury He set a national HS record in the javelin last year.
- Inspiring: Former Oregon Decathlete Marshall Ackley Still Competing With Zero Sponsorship He brought the NCAA crowd to its feat last year by running the 1,500 on a pulled hamstring.
Alan Webb Parts Ways With Alberto
LRC Alan Webb Switching Coaches The American record holder in the mile has called it quits on the coaching experiment with Alberto Salazar after 19 months. No official word yet on where Webb goes next. This is Webb's third major coaching switch in his career due to performances he was frustrated with. And for those of you who question Webb's future, remember this Alberto Salazar quote from last year: "I would have to say that even my athletes agree as a group - Galen Rupp and Dathan Ritzenhein - we all know he (Alan Webb) is the most talented in the whole group."
Big News Coming From The UK
Sammy Wanjiru Out - Martin Lel In For Virgin London Marathon Wanjiru, who only months ago was accused of attempted murder, is out with a supposed knee injury. The
good news is that three time
London champ Martin Lel, who hasn't run a marathon since the Olympics, is in as a late addition. Prior to his recent injury woes, Lel was viewed by many as the best marathoner on the planet. *LRC MB *Sammy Out Of London *Wanjiru Out, Lel in
More News From The UK
*Bizarre Q&A With British Olympic Medallist Kelly Sotherton: "I want to be frozen like Walt Disney and Michael Jackson."
*Lawyers - Read This: BOA Suing London Organizing Committee To Get Its 20% Of Olympic Profit The British Olympic Assocaition says the profit calculations shouldn't include the expenses of the Paralympics and the lawyers seemingly agree. *Govt. Trying To Step In To Broker Solution Between BOA And LOCOG
*British Long Jumper Chris Tomlinson Believes He Can Medal At Age 30 In London In 2012
- UVA Receives $5 Million From Volleyball Alum - Will Build $14 Million Track & Field Facility If only money could get the ACC to take track seriously and put outdoor ACCs after Penn Relays.
- AJ Acosta's 3rd Place Finish At Stanford Was Just Start Of Season He Hopes Will Run Into July
- Texas Men Beat UCLA & Arkansas In Tri-Meet 2009 WC team member Dorian Ulrey opened his outdoor season with a .90 victory in the in the 800 in 1:51.23. *Results *Video Highlights
Recommended Read Ato Boldon's 10 Pieces Of Wise Advise That Current Pro Track Athletes Don't Understand (But Retired Ones Do) Among the highlights, he advises staying away from European wine and women and to beware of falling in love with insincere shoe companies.
Marathon/Half Marathon News
- Kenyan Runners Raking In The Dough Olympic gold medallist and Committee chairman Kip Keino said of the 156 marathon events held last year in various parts of the world, Kenyans won 126 of them.
- Kenyan Matthew Kisorio, Who Took 4th Place At World XC Last Week, Wins Stramilano Half Marathon In 60:03
- Mexican Olympian Carlos Cordero Gomez Wins Rock 'N' Roll Dallas Half In 63:58 Gomez took it out in a 4:36 mile; NFL Hall Of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman also ran this half in 1:48:11.
Outdoors Is Here - Stanford Invite: Schedule, Entries, Live Results, Non-Live Videos: *Rspace.com *Ftrack.org
- Stanford Results: Men's Distance Events
- Women's Distance Events
- Jessica Pixler Runs World-Leading 5k For Outdoor Season With 15:25.58 To Beat Olympian Jen Rhines
- The Oregonian: Keep An Eye On Oregon's Women's 4 X 100, Who Won Stanford In 44.47
- The Oregon State Women's 5k Record Was Broken Twice Within Half An Hour At Stanford Hayley Oveson broke it first with a time of 16:34.01 and then 21 minutes later, her teammate Laura Carlyle re-broke it by running 16:19.00.
*Oregon State Distance Runners Perform Well At Stanford Invy
- Recap Of Oregon Performances Clarie Michel broke her own steeple school record as she was the first collegian in 3rd place with 10:11.64.
- MB: Stanford mens 1500m RESULTS. No Fernandez.
*Andy Bayer 13:32!!
*Stanford 10k Fast Heat - Rob Cheseret 28:29
*SARA HALL wins Stanford invite steeple
- The Oregonian: Weather Problems Put A Crimp In Big Cali Meets This Weekend, Cancel Second Day Of Cal Multis Meet
- The Stanford Invitational Begins Friday
The Only Required Reading In The Industry
LRC: Week That Was: Flanagan Gets Bronze, Rupp Makes An Impressive Debut, An American Runs 2:27 At LA, And The US XC Dream Team Sure, we bet you know about Shalane Flanagan's bronze at World XC and Galen Rupp's half marathon in NYC. But we help put these in perspective and tell you about the American who ran 2:27 in LA (Amy Hastings) and wonder how well the US dream team of Lagat, Rupp, Solinsky, Tegenkamp and Ritz would do at World XC. And of course the most important news of the week, the fight at World XC.
2011 NYC Half *Top 50 Results (link fixed) *LRC Photos (updated) *Great On-Demand Video Coverage
NYC Half News We Didn't Cover Monday: Galen Rupp And Alberto Comment On His Half Marathon Trackfocus
*Universal Sports Examines Ryan Hall's Half In New York
*Mo Farah Was Training In Adidas Shoes On Nike Campus But Now He's 100% Nike
*The Independent Takes A Look At Alberto Salazar And His Scientific Techniques
Mo Farah Gets Win & Caroline Rotich Gets Course Record But Galen Rupp Steals The Headlines In his half marathon debut, Mo Farah won a 3-way
Gebremariam and Galen
Rupp as he took the victory in 60:23. Rupp made waves early by wearing a mask, then falling down, but then made way bigger waves late with his legs as he got faster each 5k (15:05-14:27-14:04-13:53) to became the 5th-fastest American in history thanks to his spectacular 60:30 debut. The "old guard" of US men's distance running
do nearly as well, as Meb Keflezighi ran 62:52, Abdi ran 63:12 and Ryan Hall was way back in 63:53. But the "old" woman, Kara Goucher, was great as she ran 69:03 to get third (remember she ran 74:02 in January).
*Telegraph Recap: Mo Farah Wins His Half Marathon Debut In New York Afterwards, he says Salazar has him in the best shape of his life.
*Salazar's Runners Farah, Rupp And Goucher All Leave New York Very Pleased
*RRW Recap *AP Recap Of NYC Half Marathon *WSJ Recap Of NYC Half Marathon
*Alistair Cragg Breaks Martin Fagan's Irish Record By Running 60:49
Zersenay Tadese Misses His Own WR But Runs 2nd-Fastest Half Marathon Ever (58:30) In Portugal Despite having little help from rabbits and having to run into the wind the last 3 miles, Tadese was great as usual at the 13.1 distance.
2011 NCAA Champs *Full Results *2011 Event-By-Event Results With Splits *LRC Women's Preview *LRC Men's Preview *LRC Day 1 Photos *Video Highlights (48 Hours Only) Within Articles Or On Right
Day 2: LRC 3ks: Hasay Becomes A Legend, Heath Unleashes His Legendary Kick As of Fri. night, Jordan Hasay was viewed as the former teen prodigy who couldn't quite kick for the big one in college. Now, just as was the case for Galen Rupp two years ago, she is college distance running's biggest star, as she won the mile and then came back in the 3k to make herself into a legend by turning the tables on Sheila Reid. Stanford's Elliott Heath's kick was even more lethal, as he destroyed a super-talented men's 3k field over the final 140m. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 2: LRC Mid-D: Hasay Gets Title #1, Batty Gets Title #2, Fred Samoei Wins A Nailbiter, And BYU's Bleazard Dominates After being outkicked in the DMR on Fri. night, Jordan Hasay outkicked the competition to grab her first NCAA title as BYU's Miles Batty completed the double in the men's mile, holding off a spirited challenge from Tulsa's Chris O'Hare. The men's 800 featured the best finish of the night as Michael Rutt's bold move to the lead 400 meters in almost held up. In the women' s 800, BYU's Lacey Bleazard won her 2nd indoor title - it's a shame the ESPN3 announcers had no idea who she was. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 1: LRC DMR: Villanova's Reid Outkicks Oregon's Hasay, BYU's Miles Batty Holds Off Incredible 3:53 Anchor From Andy Bayer Both DMRs had great finishes. The women were first and 'Nova's Sheila
Reid and Oregon's Jordan
Hasay put on
battle for the ages. On the men's side, Andy Bayer split a sick 3:53 to take Indiana from 9th to 2nd, but it was not enough to overtake BYU's Miles Batty, as the night of incredible men's distance running continued with three sub-3:55 splits. Arizona's Lawi Lalang split 3:56.9 and his team lost 3 spots. Recap, interviews, photos, and video of last laps.
LRC 5,000m Recaps: Unheralded Leonard Korir Storms To NCAA Record, Jackie Areson Impresses, Mia Behm Surprises Everyone The men's 5,000m witnessed Iona's Leonard Korir winning a scorching-fast 5k in 13:26.01 over Sam Chelanga, as three guys broke the previous NCAA meet record. On the women's side, Jackie Areson put on a display over the last 600m and Mia Behm, who was 7th at the Big 12, shocked everyone to get 2nd.
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*Ahwatukee.com Article On Meyerhoff's Death
*New York Road Runners Article
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
Melbourne Track Classic *LRC Melbourne Talk *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Photo Gallery *Post-Race 5k Interviews *Recap & 5k Video
A Dream Outdoor US Track Matchup In March In Australia
LRC: Bernard Lagat Wins And Leads Five To "A" Standard; Jeff Risesey Stuns Kiprop And Willis (And Webb) In 1,500; David Rudisha Cruises To 1:43.88 Win In 800 The Melbourne Track Classic was full of hot distance action. In the 5k, Lagat (13:08.43) pulled away from Chris Solinsky (13:10.22) and then held off a shocking late charge by Australia's Ben St. Lawrence, who had a massive 15-second personal best to finish second, as Matt Tegenkamp and the surprising Andrew Bumbalough also got the "A"' standard. In the 1,500, Jeff Riseley came in saying he was in even better shape than last year and then backed it up by getting an upest win for the second-straight year in 3:36.71, as American Alan Webb (3:37.82) drastically improved his 2011 fortunes by finishing right behind the Olympic gold medallist Asbel Kiprop (3:37.63) and well ahead of the Olympic silver medallist Nick Willis (3:38.76), as David Rudisha (1:43.88) and Nick Symmonds (1:45.08) opened fast.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Haile G Jokes, Bernard, Galen And Jenny, The Track & Field Labor Dispute, And Our Hero Kawauchi We span the globe to cover the running world like no one else. From the roads of Tokyo to the mountains of New Mexico, we've got it covered.
LRC Bernard Lagat Wins 3,000m At USA Indoors And Makes It Look Easy Galen Rupp tried his best to beat Bernard Lagat on Saturday night, but Lagat ran away from Rupp with ease on the final lap, reminding us how damn good he is at 3,000m. Last year, when Lagat won World Indoors, we said he was "Utterly Brilliant." This one was "utterly smooth." Jenny Simpson ran away from Sara Hall on the last lap to win the women's 3,000m. More Sunday.
*On The Boards: USATF 5000m: Lagat, 7:57.17, Rupp 7:59.91
*Day 1 Photos
The Secret Is ... There Is No Secret
Some Big Goals
- Teddy Tamgho Has A Three Step Plan For The Triple Jump: Win Worlds, Win The Olympics, And Break the World Record The first time Teddy Tamgho met Jonathan Edwards he told him he was going to break his record. Currently Tamgho is 3rd all time with 17.98m while Edwards has the record at 18.29m
- At 54 Years Old Francis Kimeli Kemei Is Still Training/Racing Hard And Shooting For A Sub-75 Minute Half
Looking Ahead To 2012
Time Olympic Silver Medallist Frankie Fredericks Feels Sorry For Usain Bolt's Rivals As He Knows What It's Like To Finish Second "There are some great challengers out there but I feel sorry for them a
bit growing up and being born in the same era as Usain Bolt."
- Irish Marathoners May Catch A Break Athletics Ireland is contemplating softening its strict 'A' standard policy for the 2012 games after they have demanded strict standards for World Champs in Daegu saying the IAAF standards "were too easily attained"
- UK Coach Charles Van Commenee Is "Glad The Olympics Are In 2012, Not 2011" As He Wants As Much Time As Possible To Prepare His goal for the UK is 8 medals.
- LONDON 2012: Kelly Holmes Warns Against Piling The Pressure On Olympic Hopefuls
Sally Meyerhoff's Life Being Honored In NYC This Weekend
- Sally Meyerhoff's Parents And Sister To Be In NYC To Celebrate Her Life At More/Fitness Half Marathon
- Sally Meyerhoff's Dad Inspires Athletes At High School Meet In Arizona
- Sally Meyerhoff Memorial To Be Held April 10th At Duke
More Sprint News Related To Powell-Gay Showdowns In The UK
- Frankie Fredericks Feels Sorry For Those Who Have To Race Usain Bolt "There are some great challengers out there but I feel sorry for them a bit growing up and being born in the same era as Usain Bolt," said Fredericks, who says if Bolt runs 9.4 or 9.5 no one will touch him.
- Asafa Powell Says He's Not A Head Case, His Problems At Major Champs Have Been Physical, Not Mental We beg to differ.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Sage Advice There was not a ton of action on the track last week, so we go behind the scenes and give you lots of wise advice from Renato Canova, Lisa Dobriskey, Ato Boldon and others. Plus we look at Sara Hall's chances in the steeple.
News From Britain
- A MUST READ: Daily Mail Introduces Britain To Tyson Gay: "He is the second fastest man in history, and that is precisely what he does not want to be." The Quote of the Day for Saturday needs to come from this great article. Tyson Gay is living proof of what Renato Canova was talking about yesterday.
- Telegraph Looks At How 4 Of The World's Top Sprinters Are Faring 1+ Year Out From London
- Tyson Gay & Usain Bolt To Clash Twice At Both Of Britian's Diamond League Meets Tax laws will keep Usain Bolt away.
- Mark Lewis Francis Hopes To Be Back From Injury Soon
- Olympic VIllage On Track & WIll Be Done By End Of 2011 Says Seb Coe
- Tottenham Not Giving Up On Appeal About Olympic Stadium
- Paralympics Head Says Event Won't Lose Money
More News From Europe
- French Marathon Record Holder Christelle Daunay Taking Break From 26.2 This Spring - Has Sights On French 10,000 Record The 2:24 marathoner has her 31:42 on her mind.
- Preview Of This Weekend's Prague Half - Marathon 3-Time champ Rose Kosgei will battle former World Jr. XC champ Lydia Cheromei and Christelle Daunay as the men go for sub-60.
- Looking For A 10,000 Worlds Qualifier? - Get Your Butt To Oslo on 4 June Italian Andrea Lalli is the first to commit to the race.
- Meet The Mascots For The 2011 European Jrs. - Citi, Alti and Forti No one will ever top our beloved Berlino.
- World Record Holder In 100 Year + Shot Put, Javelin And Discus, Takashi Shimokawara, Died In Tsunami
- Profile On Takashi Shimokawara Times of London He smoked until he was 80 and drank sake with meals until he died. Proving our sport is for everyone, he took up track and field at age 98.
- Canadian Record Holder, 3-Time NCAA High Jump Champ Derek Drouin Out For Season With Injury
- NCAA President Says It May Be Time To Give Athletes A Bigger Slice Of The Pie Not cash payments, but larger scholarships to cover incidentals.
- Arkansas Track Athlete Regina George Gets In Dorm Fight With Basketball Player, Both Are Arrested (link fixed)
Craig Mottram, Christchurch, And The Olympic Flame
- Craig Mottram On The Comeback And How Running World XC Could Earn You More Money In Spring Road/Track Races
- Natural Disasters Cancelling Many Events, But Christchurch New Balance 15k Race Will Go On
- A Little History Lesson About The Olympic Flame, Which Was Once Re-Lit By A Cigarette Lighter
US News And Upcoming Races
- Olympians Christian Wurth-Thomas & Jen Rhines Headline Carlsbad Road 5K
- Corporal Dan Skelly Running For Charity And Trying To Break WR For Running A Marathon In A Bomb Disposal Suit Current record is 12 hours, but he hopes to run it in 6 and a half ... which would be faster than the record set by the heaviest man to complete a marathon.
- Interview With Hansons-Brooks/2:26 Marathoner Desiree Davila She says "it's a little bit of being a wuss" that keeps her healthy.
- Heptathlon WR Holder Ashton Eaton To Compete At Cal Poly Invitational
- Olympic Gold Medallist Edwin Moses Not Resting On His Laurels - Helping To Fund Youth Sports Programs
- The First Fly-Cam Ever Used By ESPN Track Coverage Made Debut At NCAA Indoor Champs
- D-II Indoor Team Champs Abilene Christian, Grand Valley State Start Outdoor Season At Top
Athlete Blogs Often Aren't That Interesting, But We Make Exceptions
- Kara Goucher's Infant Colt Goucher Blogs About His Trip To NYC, Bonding With His Dad And His Mom's Race
- Ryan Hall Blogs & Says NYC Half "Didn't Go As Well As I Had Hoped."
World Leads And A World Record?
- Has Sara Hall Found Her Ticket To Daegu & London With The 3k Steeple? This is a great analysis and summary of the career and possible future of Sara Hall, as well as a breakdown of just who the top US women are from 1,500 up through 5k. If you haven't been following women's professional running in the US as well as you would like, this is a good place to start catching up.
- Caster Semenya Improves Her Season Best To 2:01.77, Winning Easily She says she'd hopes to run faster against better competition with someone taking it out in 60 seconds. She led most of this race and 2nd place was only 2:06.28.
- A Humble 400m Runner Richard Buck Credits New Coaching To Propelling Him To The Bronze Medal At Indoor European Champs
- IAAF Recap Of New Zealand National Championships
- Kenya Prisons Athletes Dominate At National Bank Of Kenya/Athletics Kenya Track Meet
- World, Olympic And Commonwealth Shot Put Champ Valerie Adams Easily Wins Her 11th NZ National Title
*Adams Takes Gamble By Switching To New Coach
- Bank Of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K To Feature U.S. Olympian Amy Yoder Begley And National Record Holder Simon Bairu Bairu is a two time NCAA XC champ and has the Canadian 10k record, while Begley is a six-time US national champ and 2008 Olympian. *Interview With Amy Yoder Begley
- Kara Goucher Blogs She Is Very Happy With Her Race At NYC Half
- Big Sur Marathon Forced To Modify 2011 Course When A 60ft Section Of The Highway Fell Into The Pacific Ocean Apparently this has happened before.
- NEW YORK RACE TO HONOR MEYERHOFF WITH AWARD
- Track Town Video Promo For 2012 Olympic Trials
- NCAA 800m Record Holder Julius Achon's Humanitarian Work Is Making A Difference In Uganda
- US's Magdalena Lewy-Boulet Shares Her Experience From World XC In Spain
- Kenyan Runner Jailed For 2 Months After Winning Uganda Marathon
- Morocco's Africa Championships Bronze Medallist Btissam Lakhouad Looking To Medal In World Champs 1,500m
- Uganda's 2010 World XC Bronze Medallist Moses Kipsiro Blames Back Injury For Poor Performance In 2011 Where He Finished 11th
Sparking Some Debate
- Academic Says There Is No Proof Success In Sports Is Genetic To young aspiring athletes he would like to say: "I would say to them - all of them, including the white kids - 'Go into sprinting. Don't worry because you're white. It's got nothing to do with the colour of your skin.'" Optimistic attitude, but someone might want to tell him that only one white man has ever broken the 10-second barrier in the 100m.
- USA Today: Ralph Nader Calls For An End To College Athletic Scholarships He says he wants to "address the myth of amateurism surrounding big-time college football and basketball in this country" and help reduce the "win-at-all-costs" mentality in high schools by reducing
the incentive of college scholarships.
*MB Thread: Ralph Nader: Eliminate College Athletic Scholarships
*Blogger Says Ralph Nader Wants To Kill Youth Sports
The Bonds Trial: Barry Bonds Childhood Friend And Business Partner Says He Saw Bonds' Trainer With A Syringe And Barry And Trainer Discuss Steroids
We Haven't Given This The Attention It Deserves: (Update: Lengthy AP Article) Agent To Some Of The Sport's Stars, Mark Block, To Appeal 10-Year Ban From Sport Block is a fairly big agent in the sport and was busted last week by USADA. His agency now represents Xavier Carter, Carmelita Jeter, Nick Symmonds and others. Block was the President of the agency and presumably the owner and is listed on the Association of Athletics Managers website. Now the old staff page is gone, and former Director of Communications Chris Layne is listed as Managing Director. Not sure if owning the agency is considered involvement in the sport. Block's statement say the decision "misstated the evidence." You can read the decision yourself here which includes this: "Mark Block also admitted paying Balco/Conte for all the drugs received by Mark Block, including EPO, 'The Clear' and 'The Cream' and Modafinil." Good riddance unless overturned on appeal.
Mark Block USADA Decision
2011 World XC *Results *New Women's Race Photos *New Men's Race Photos
World XC News We Didn't Cover Monday:
*Kenya's Linet Masai Just Misses World XC Title For Third Straight Year
*South Africa's Stephen Mokoka Happy With His 15th Place Finish This equals the best finish ever for a SA senior male runner.
*Craig Mottram Pleased With World XC Run
*World XC Champ Imane Merga Has One More XC Race This Weekend, Then Will Turn Focus To Track And with our sport's emphasis on time, he still has to go out and get a 10k qualifier. IAAF
*Faith Kipyegon Chepngetich Won Girls Juniors Barefoot
*New Women's Race Photos
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
*IAAF Recap Of Women's Race
*Charlotte Purdue Is Top European On Weekend In 14th In Women's Race If you weren't born in Africa, you didn't finish any better than 21st in the men's race, which is where Craig Mottram finished - aided in part as two guys ahead of him came to blows as they ran down the finishing straight. *2nd LRC MB Thread On Fight
*Japanese Jr. Girls Earn Bronze
*Cheruiyot: "I have won everything now, save for that elusive Olympic medal."
*Nice Recap Of Women's Race *Nice Recap Of Races From Kenyan Perspective *Athletics Weekly Recap Of World 2011 World XC *Video Highlights Of World XC Women's Race
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36th, as he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
*Merga: "Before I used to think of myself as a track runner but this winter I have got to like cross-country races more."
*Craig Mottram Finishes As Top Non-Afrrican Born Male In 21st As Two Guys Ahead Of Him Are DQed For Fighting In Race To Line Eritrea's Samuel Tsegay and Ethiopia's Abera Kuma were given the DQ.
Junior Boys: Geoffrey Kipsang Leads Kenya To 13th Straight Title Kipsang was only 4th at the Kenyan Trials but dominated. High schooler Craig Lutz was the first American in 29th.
Junior Girls: Faith Kipyegon Of Kenya Wins, But Ethiopia Edges Them For Team Title High schooler Aisling Cuffe was the first American in 17th.
Week That Was
LRC 10 Thoughts On NCAAs We go behind the results and point out some interesting stats from the NCAAs. We not only look at Jordan Hasay's amazing weekend, but also point out how great her DMR loss was. Then we look at the emergence of Elliott Heath and tell you why he likely will end up on an Olympic or Worlds team. Along the way, we give out a history lesson about the greatness of John McDonnell and remind ourselves how he defeated the whole NCAA combined from 1984 to 2008. We also hand out some sympathy for Diego Estrada and Lali Lalang and give some advice to the folks at ESPN. At the very least, it's worth clicking on, as we have a chart with the last 10 years of NCAA mid-d and distance champs on the men's side so you can take a trip down memory lane.
Other Nationals *NCAA D3 Champs *NCAA D2 Champs *HS Nationals Results *Photos
HS: Lukas V. Runs Away From The Top Milers To Complete Historic High School Nationals Triple His double on Sunday was super-impressive, but we had completely forgotten about German
8:34 double at the California state meet.
*IAAF Article On Verzbicas
We Wrote This Article Too Soon:
Gerry Lindgren's Legendary 47-Year-Old High School National Record Survives Scare From Lukas Verzbicas And Edward Cheserek Verzbicas hammered home over the final lap to pull away from Cheserek, but in the end, Lindgren's 8:40.0 lived to see another day, as Verzbicas ran 8:40.70 and Cheserek shattered the high school indoor and overall sophomore class records with his 8:42.66. More: Gerry Lindgren 8:40 indoors *LRC MB Lukas V. 8:40.7!! *LRC MB So close *Running Times Q&A With Lindgren About His 8:40.0 Note: This article incorrectly implies the record was set in a 16-lap race.
*Lucas Verzbicas (14:06.78) & (Waverly Neer) 16:35.15 Set National HS 5,000 Records
Sally Meyerhoff News
- Recommended Read: Sally Meyerhoff Left A Positive Impression On Arizona Journalist Jeff Metcalfe Before she died, Meyerhoff was very happy with where she was in her life.
- Famed Announcer Toni Reavis Writes A Poem About Sally Meyerhoff
- Sally Meyerhoff's Death Felt At High School Meet In Arizona Her former HS teammate, who is now coach, broke down in tears as she handed out blue ribbons (in honor of Duke) to the current athletes on the team.
- US 25k Elite Athlete Coordinator And Former Boston Marathon Champ Greg Meyer Devastated By Meyerhoff's Death He says Meyerhoff was the life of the party the year she won her US title and danced up a storm at Grand Rapids' Crush Nightclub.
- Meyerhoff's Fatal Cycling Accident One Of Roughly 700 Each Year
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
Records For Rupp And Farah *Video Of Rupp's And Farah's Race
Galen Rupp & Mo Farah Set National 5k Records!
(13:11.44 and 13:10.60) The two Alberto Salazar-coached athletes put on a brave battle, with Farah coming out on top on the last lap, as Rupp regained his American record from Bernard Lagat by .06. Rupp and Farah will be training together through 2012 and their partnership is off to a strong start. Rupp is scheduled to go for the American 10k record next week in New Zealand. The meet also saw a cool 400m hurdles race (video
here or on the right), an 8:30 3k and American Morgan Uceny going sub-2:00 in the 800.
*Mo Farah Breaks British 5,000m Record With His New Coach Alberto Salazar One Of The 8,000 In Attendance Telegraph.co.uk
*Farah Credits Salazar's Coaching
*Rupp/Farah 5k Video
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
Running Documentary That Aired March 31st (For Reviews Click Here)
Blows At World XC (More Info Here)
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Ritz's Injury Is Serious
Dathan Ritzenhein Has Surgery On His Achilles And Has Neuroma Removed On Other Foot The good news is Ritz saw the same surgeon Paula Radclife saw for her foot surgery (and the unofficial West Coast LRC surgeon Amol Saxena
Rojo's Achilles surgery)).
On The Boards: Ritz under the knife
Our Sport Has Its History
The Greatest Comeback Ever?
Jordan Hasay After Leading Oregon To Victory
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Last 250m Of Melbourne 5,000m With Post-Race Interviews With The Stars (Lagat, Solinsky, Tegenkamp, Bumbalough, Mottram, St. Lawrence)
Definitely Worth A Read
Hall Of Fame Running Back And Olympic 400m Bronze Medalist (46.8) Ollie Matson Dies Our sport's history is amazing, as is Matson's story. He was on the 1951 Univ. of San Francisco team that he called the "greatest of all time" (they went undefeated and are the only college football team with 3 future NFL Hall of Famers on it). However, there was one "problem" with the team. It had two black players on it. That meant bowl inviations only if the black players didn't play. The team said no, the team lost $70,000 and the school CANCELLED football the next year. Amazing. Great Frank Litsky writeup.
Last 800m (Or Full Race) Of Galen Rupp's American Record Run In Britain
This Is Awesome: Indoor 400m Hurdles At Aviva Birmingham Meet
Training Talk Is Back
Training Talk With New Marathon Star Stephanie Rothstein And Ben Bruce Stephanie lowered her marathon PR by over 10 minutes, skipping the 2:30s entirely, running 2:29:35 in Houston. And she's still got her sights on lowering it another 10 minutes. Textual recap coming later, but you can listen above or download the podcast here (1:30).
Last 250 (Or Full Race - Rewind It) Of Dejen Gebremeskel Outkicking Mo Farah In Boston With 1 Shoe
Save Some Cash
Two Of The Best Running Movies Of All Time (Don't Believe Us? Click Here)
800m Royalty Together For The First Time Ever: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha (It's Well Worth A Watch If You Have The Time, Or Read The Recap Here)
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top