Isaiah Koech Is For Real
Ghent: 17-Year-Old Isaiah Koech Sets Junior Record In 3K With 7:37.50 Just two days after smashing the junior indoor 5K record with a 12:53, Koech breaks the junior record in the 3k with a 7:37.50 as Ismael Kombich set new world leader is set in the 1,500 (3:34.13). *LRC MB: Isiah Koech does it again - How many youth & world junior records will he destroy?
Other Top Performances from Ghent:
New World Record In 2,000m Indoor Steeple By Paul Kipsiele Koech Koech Ran 5:13.77 to break his own world record by 3 seconds.
*Some Other Highlights
- British Coach Not Happy Jodie Williams Says She'll Skip World Outdoor Champs *2nd Article
- Jodie Williams' Coach Defends Decision Not To Race World Champs 400m runner Shana Cox will also not be competing. She is in the process of switching nationalities from the US to GB, but she will not be eligible in time to race at the World Champs.
- First-Ever UK Indoor 400m Hurdle Race Will Feature Two-Time World Champion Félix Sánchez *IAAF Preview
- UK Champs Recap: Tom Parsons Wins High Jump With 2.31m
- Pole Vaulters Kate Dennison And Steve Lewis Lose First National Championships Since 2005
Leonard Chuene Declared Guilty On 14 of 16 Charges
- Former Head Of South African Track Found Guilty On 14 Charges *2nd Article From SA
- Detailed List Of 14 Charges He Was Convicted Of Screwing over Caster Semenya appears to be one of them.
- Suspended Athletics South Africa Vice President Kakata Maponyane Might Appeal Verdict
Other Track News
- Former WR Holder Asafa Powell And His Team Set World Leader In 4 x 100m
- IAAF Karlsruhe Recap: World Leads In Women's 3k, Men's 60m And Women's 60m Hurdles *2nd Article
- Czech Republic's Decathlon WR Holder Roman Šebrle Wins National Title And Aims To Medal At European Championships At 36 years old, he would be the oldest to medal ever, breaking his own record from two years ago.
Lagat And Verzbicus
Lagat Does It (8:10.07), Lukas V Comes Up Short Message board thread here. Bernard Lagat threw it down the final few laps to smash the US 2 mile record, while Lukas V went out too fast (4:15-16 range) and ended up getting lapped by Lagat. He ran 8:43.24, which is still good for #3 US all-time indoors. *See His Splits Here
Overseas Pro Action
Karlsruhe, Germany: David Oliver (7.40) Over Liu Xiang (7.53) Liu improved .07 from his European debut 2 nights earlier.
Karlsruhe, Germany Results (8:42 World Leader In 3k) American Christin Wurth-Thomas lost her world-leading status at 3k.
UK Champs: UK Indoor Champs Recap: 17-Year-Old Jodie Williams And Dwain Chambers Win 60m IAAF
*Emotional Kelly Sotherton Wins 400m At UK Trials In 53.46 The former heptathlete is now focusing on the 400. *2nd Article
Belgium: Brit Phenom Stephanie Twell Fractures Her Ankle While Leading XC Race In Belgium *2nd Article
*PaulaRadcliffe, Mo Farah And Ohers Tweet Messages Of Support
Uganga: Moses Kipsiro Wins Ugandan XC Champs, Former World Steeple Champ Dorcus Inzikuru Has Big Lead And Fades To 7th In Her Comeback
Donetsk: Pole Vaulters Renaud Lavillenie And Isinbayeva Improve On World Leaders In PV In Donetsk
*Update 8:13 AM: Nice IAAF Recap Of Koech's Run
LRC: Isiah Koech Runs 12:53 Indoors As Galen Rupp Comes Up Short In American Record Attempt
Isiah just turned 17 at the end of December and he put on a performance to remember as he pulled away from World Champ Eliud Kipchoge for the super-impressive win. 12:53 indoors is amazing. With no advance fanfare (the track writers in Oregon didn't even write about it), American Galen Rupp was in the race in his 2011 indoor opener and ran a solid 13:21 after being on 13:05 pace at 3k, according to this thread. In other action, Nixon Chepseba got the narrow win over Augustin Choge in a world-leading 3:34 in the 1,500m, and Liu Xiang was 3rd in his European return.
*Athletics Weekly: 17-Year-Old Runs 12:53 As Kim Collins Breaks 11-Year-Old PR (6.52)
*Details On Rupp's Race
*17-Year-Old Runs 12:53 Indoors!
*Some More Highlights From Dusseldorf
International Track News
- Mo Farah Shooting For UK 5k Record Of 13:21.27 On Feb. 19th
- Former Olympic 110m Hurdles Champ Liu Xiang Races For First Time In 3 Years *2nd Article
- NCAA 200 Meter Record Holder Bianca Knight Just Misses 300m World Record It was her first competitive 300, but that didn't stop her from running 36.25, just .08 off the world record.
- Yelena Isinbayeva And Renaud Lavillenie Improve Their World Leads In Pole Vault
- UK Indoor Championships: Dwain Chambers Sets Top 60m European Time For Year, 17-Year-Old Jodie Williams Wins Women's Race *2nd Article
- Lolo Jones To Miss Last 3 Indoor Meets With Injury
- Borlee Brothers To Go For 600m World Record In Ghent Next Sunday, Paul Koech Will Also Go After Indoor 2,000m Steeplechase Record Yes, indoor steeple.
Olympics 2012 And Beyond
- France Might Bid To Host 2020 Olympics
- Tottenham's Legal Threat Over Olympic Stadium Could Prevent Them From Bidding To Host 2017 World Championships
- Sports Minister Hugh Robertson Cautions Tottenham Not To Fight Olympic Stadium Decision In Court
- Olympics Minister Warns West Ham Must Guarantee To Keep Running Track
- West Ham Considering Installing Retractable Seats To Ensure They Keep Track In Olympic Stadium
No Meb In Boston
RRW: John Hancock Releases Elite Field For 2011 And Meb Keflezighi Is Left Out And Controversy Simmers
*John Hancock And Boston Marathon Do Not Make An Offer To Meb To Run This Year's Race Races have limited funds, and Boston's are way more limited than New York or London's, but it shows the financial realities of our sport when the Boston Marathon does not even extend an offer to America's top marathoner the last decade to run its race. That is what Meb Keflizighi is saying happened on his website. Perhaps Boston did not want to insult Meb with a low offer. We reached out to the BAA and Boston on this matter and they chose not to comment on it.
*Full John Hancock Release Reigning champs Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot & Teyba Erkesso will defend their titles.
- Lukas Verzbicas Shooting For Gerry Lindgren's 46-Year-Old Record In Armory 2 Mile With Lagat
- Vin Lannana Pushing For Hayward Field To Become Permanent Host Of The NCAA Championships
- Runner's World: A Brief Chat With Nick Arciniaga He got 2nd place at the Houston Marathon and a PR after rabbiting a teammate for the first 25k.
- Brent Vaughn: On Houston And Becoming A National Champion
- When Girls Train With The Boys HS girls talk about the benefits, the differences, and the awkwardness of dealing with "boy conversation."
Coming March 20th: NYC Half Marathon: Meb, Hall And Abdi!
Keflezighi Leads American Men Into NYC Half Marathon Meb Keflezghi, Ryan Hall and Abdi Abdirahman have not all run in the same race since the 2009 NYC Marathon, where Meb won, Hall was 4th, and Abdi 9th. These are three of the six fastest American
half marathoners of all time, with Hall holding the US record at 59:43. But the big news is that Meb implied in Tuesday's teleconference that he has been unable to reach a deal with the Boston marathon and as a result, Meb says it will be an unusual race for him because he is not using it as a tune-up for a later marathon.
*LRC: Meb Unable To Reach Deal With Boston Marathon Organizers - May Not Run Spring Marathon
*Meb, Hall And Abdi In NYC Half
*New Runner's World: A Brief Chat With Meb Keflezighi
17-Year-Old World Junior Silver Medallist And 8:23 Steepler Albert Yator Dies From Malaria Yator's death was a surprise and is a very tragic reminder that malaria is
just something we read about in the newspaper and should ignore.
On The Boards: RIP: Albert Yator 17, 8:23 steepler and World Jr Silver Medalist
Gonzaga University Runners Hit By Alleged Drunk Driver
Some Positive Distance News: Track & Field News Profile On Andy Bayer The 2011 breakout star will redshirt outdoors.
More Boston News
- New Russell Brown's Win At The New Balance Mile Marked A Turning Point After Years Of Injury
- New Runners's World: A "Brief" Chat With Dejen Gebremeskel
- LRC Boston News And Notes Russell Brown thought he had a 5% chance to win, Nick W trying to lead, and Leo M okay with losing to Verzbicas. Plus Sam Chelanga says LetsRun.com is cool as long as you don't leave your family because of it.
- LRC Boston Photo Gallery
Cathy Freeman Pregnant With Her First Child This news of course has made tabloid headlines in Australia, where Freeman is an icon. The pregnancy has triggered Freeman's Type 2 diabetes, but she appears to be doing well overall.
Russell Brown Cruises To 3:54 Win, Webb, Manzano And Verzbicas All Over 4 The men's mile featured Alan Webb, Leo Manzano, Nick Willis and high school star Lukas Verzbicas, but the star of the night was Russell Brown, who crushed the field winning in 3:54 as Webb, Manzano and Verzbicas all didn't break 4. Afterwards, Webb threw
a tantrum (seriously, that's a fair way of describing
it) before addressing the press, and we'll have more on that Sunday. In other action, Sally Kipyego turned back Jenny Simpson in the 3k, Phoebe Wright got another win in the 800m, but the performance of the night may have been Dejen Gebremeskel running 7:35 and outkicking Mo Farah with a last lap of 26 while having one shoe on for most of the race.
Post-Race: LRC Alan Webb Throws A Tantrum After Disappointing Opener Alan Webb's competitive fire is legendary and the dark side of that competitive fire was on full display after Webb's disappointing performance. We've seen many athletes get upset, but none like Webb on Saturday night, especially after an earlier season opener. We've got the details and try to give some perspective to Webb's behavior.
On The Boards: That Webb article is a breach of professional decorum.
Wejo explains here, here and here our thoughts for this story and why it was reported.
Eaton Breaks Record!
Ashton Eaton Shatters His Own World Record In Heptathlon! Eaton scored 6,568 points to break his own world record by an impressive 69 points, setting PRs in the shot, 60m, and 60m hurdles. His hurdles time of 7.60 seconds was so good it would have won the 2008 World Indoor Champs and actually breaks the hepathlon record of 7.74 held by Olympic decathlon
medalist Bryan Clay.
Fireworks In Stuttgart *Stuttgart Results
Yenew Alamirew Runs 7:27.80 To Lead 3 Under 7:30 Barrier
First Time Ever, David Oliver Runs Fast In Hurdles Alamirew dominated a late season 3k last year and backed it up here, showing he is the real deal. For the first time ever indoors, more than one guy broke 7:30 in a race, as Alamirew triumphed over Augustin Choge and Eliud Kipchoge. David Oliver easily dispatched
Dayron Robles and nearly got the US record, and LRC favorite Silas Kiplagat lost in the 1,500m.
Impressive: Belgian Dude Stefaan Engels Completes 365th Marathon In 365 Days Updated
- LRC Lukas Verzbicas Talks To LetsRun.com It takes a true phenom to get LetsRun.com excited about a high schooler, but we're now officially leading the bandwagon, as we caught up with America's greatest high school phenom (since the Hall-Webb-Ritz era) two days before he tries to join Webb in the sub-4-indoors-as-a-HS-runner club. A natural showman of sorts, Lukas talked about his goals for Saturday, his training, his decision to go Oregon, whether he contemplated going pro straight out of HS, and much more. A must read.
Millrose Behind The Scenes: Lagat Goes Down, Millrose Entertains Employee #1 and his able assistant went into the bowels of Millrose to tell you what really happened at the grand-daddy of track and field meets in the world. High schoolers flashing U of O symbols, overlooked 3:34 1,500m runners, and pros addicted to LetsRun.com - we've got it covered.
Unlucky 7: Deresse Mekonnen Snaps Bernard Lagat's Winning Streak At 6 The 23-year-old 2010 world indoor champ defeated the 36-year-old President of the Boards (or did Father Time win?) in a fantastic Wanamaker mile, but not without Lagat putting up a fantastic fight that saw him at least three times try to retake the lead in the final two laps.
*Samantha Nadel Wins High School Girls Millrose Mile In 4:50.58
*NY's Chad Noelle Wins Boys Millrose Mile In 4:16.71
*Register-Guard: World Pentathlon Record Holder Ashton Eaton PRs In Two Out Of Three Events To Beat Olympic Champion Bryan Clay And World Champion Trey Hardee Eaton set a new shot put PR at 46-8 and lowered his 60m hurdles time to 7.64.
*Jamaicans Lose Sprint Showdown With USA Jamaicans Veronica Campbell-Brown and Nesta Carter won the sprints, but US sprinters claimed victory on points in the US-Jamaica challenge.
*IAAF Recap: Mekonnen Ends Lagat's Streak
*Millrose Games: Nadel, Noelle Win HS Miles!
*UVA Wins College 4 x 800 Without Robby Andrews
Injury-Prone Dathan Ritzenhein Will Now Shift Focus To 10k At World Champs *LRC MB: RITZ! ENOUGH WITH THE MARATHON!
Lukas V Commits To Oregon For Real It's now official; two time Foot Locker XC national champ Lukas Verzbicas has an oral commitment to Oregon. The news was out unofficially last week. Letsrun.com has learned Lukas considered turning pro but the money he wanted wasn't there. Why would Nike pay big bucks for him when they can get him much cheaper in the U of O singlet?
*Message Board Thread
60th Anniversary Of Pre's Birthday Keeps Generating News
- Creating The Annual Prefontaine Classic Poster Isn't As Easy As You Might Think Meet director Tom Jordan speaks of the difficulty of finding new photos worthy of the yearly poster.
Craig Mottram & Benita Willis To Lead Australia At World XC Championships Mottram will run for the first time since 2008 and will lead a squad that includes former NAU star David McNeill. *Australian XC Trials Results
News From Europe
- New Pro Ciara Mageean Broke Two Irish Junior Records At New Balance Mageean, whom some are calling the next Sonia O'Sullivan, finished seventh in the elite mile field (10 seconds behind winner Jen Simpson's 4:28.60) in 4:38.81 to break the 13-year-old indoor junior record of 4:41.76. En route to that record, she ran 4:17 to smash her own jr. record of 4:20.88.
- Only Two Scottish Athletes To Compte At This Weekend's Aviva International Meet In Glasgow, Scotland One of them is former U23 European 5k champ Laura Kenney.
- France's Teddy Tamgho Sets World-Leading Mark In The Triple Jump At 17.46m
- Russia's Aleksandr Menkov Sets Top Long Jump In 2011 At 8.17m He's in contention to be the youngest European Indoor Champ if he can win in Paris in six weeks
Dubai Marathon (World's Richest Prize) *Race Website *Live Thread *Top Results And Prize Money *Photos Here
Barmasai And Asselefech Mergia Each Pocket $250,000
David Barmasai earned his $250,000 the hard way. Barmasai had only run marathons in Kenya before. There were 12 guys who went through halfway in 1:02:46. At 30k, according to message board reports, the leaders were only 25 seconds off of Haile G's world record split. Then however, the wheels came off. The final 5k was run in 16:47 and that gave Barmasai the win by nearly a minute over Evans Cheruiyot (2008 Chicago champ), who won $100,000 for 2nd place. Shows how hard Haile G's record is. On the women's side, Asselefech Mergia of Ethiopia was much more credentialed coming in (bronze at 2009 Worlds) and she was the only one to dip under 2:23 but missed the course record at the world's richest marathon in terms of prize money - $1,000,000 combined between men and women; not the $2 million we said yesterday.
*Top Results And Prize Money
Olympic News *2012 T&F Schedule (PDF) *Qualifying Rules
- London Olympics Will Introduce A Bye From The First Round For Top Athletes In The 100m Some say this is a controversial decision but when you consider the fact that every country is allowed to enter an athlete in the 100m, you can understand the purpose of the rule change. Does it really make sense to force Usain Bolt to race the first round against athletes such as Shanahan Sanetoa of American Samoa, who clocked 12.6 secs in Beijing?
- London 2012 Olympic Games Track and Field Schedule Released
- UK Athletics Admits They Can Never Fill Olympic Stadium But Want Track Kept There Anyway
- How The Lives Of Athletes Have Changed Since The Games Were Last In The UK In 1948
- Demand Will Be Greater Than Supply For London 2012 Tickets
Cruise Control For Runners? No we're not talking about a treadmill.
Faster, Higher, Stronger?
Could This Vibrating Platform Make You Better At Track?
College And US News
- Collegiate Track & Field Weekend Review: February 14, 2011
- Elijah Greer And Jordan Hasay Impress At Husky Classic
- Runner's World: A Brief Chat With Bernard Lagat
- IAAF: Kim Smith Runs 1:07:36 To Set Fastest Half Marathon Ever On US Soil
Weekend Action / US College Men's Distance Running Reaches An All Time High / Results *Tyson *Husky *Armory *BU Valentine
- Ken Goe: OTC Stars Chris Solinsky And Tim Nelson Get Mile (3:54.52) And 3k (7:49.95) Wins At UW
- Message Board Talk: Solinsky 3:54 Mile *Webb 6th In 3k In 7:51 Tim Nelson got the win.
Mile Mania Across The US
- Chris Solinsky Opens 2011 With A Remarkable 3:54 Bang!!!
- 4 Collegians (5 Overall) Break Four On Legal Track At BU! Erik van Ingen leads the way at 3:57.11, as 3 guys from the America East conference get the job done. *Race Video
- 5 Collegians (7 Overall) Also Do It On Illegal Track At Washington Top collegian was BYU's Miles Batty, who ran 3:55.79.
- Tulsa Soph Runs 3:56 At Arkansas
More Hot Collegiate Action
- 10 Guys Hit Auto In 3k At UW Pro Tim Nelson got the win as Garrett Heath almost came from way back to win, with Sam Chalenga 5th, Alan Webb 6th and German Fernandez 10th.
- Stanford's Elliott Heath Unleashes Sick Kick - Runs 13:37
- Christin Wurth-Thomas yesterday slashed 11 seconds off 3000m best for the WORLD LEAD
- Elijah Greer 1:47.02
- 4 Women, Led By Jordan Hasay (4:34.75), Auto At UW
- Indiana DMR 9:30.78
- Patrick Casey Racks Up Another NCAA Auto Mark In The 800 He ran 1:47.67, winning by 7 seconds. Another impressive solo effort to go along with his sub-4.
- Rakieem Norris Runs 6.54 In The 60m For Second-Fastest Time In The World This Year
- Alex Kosinski Runs 15:44.60 To Break Nicole Blood's Oregon School Record
Where Does That Leave Us? 18 Guys Now Have 3k Auto And 13 Have Auto Time In Mile *On The Ladies' Side, The Number Of Autos Is Way, Way Less
Alan Webb / Salazar News
- Alan Webb Moves Up To Top Three To Challenge For Win With Lap To Go, Settles For 7:51.85 Showing In Washington
- Alberto Salazar Says Alan Webb Overreacted After His 4:00 Mile Last Weekend
- Salazar Hires Steve Magness As "Scientific Advisor" To Help Coach And Analyze Training For Nike Athletes
NYC Wants New York City Marathon And Other Races To Pay Full Cost Of Police Services For Its Races The proposed rule will let police bill race organizers for the expenses of controlling traffic and shutting down roads during an event. This is a huge raise in the cost of managing races and could mean the end for many lower income events. Conveniently, this rule does not say anything about billing the Yankees, Mets, Knicks, or other professional teams for police details around their stadiums.
London Stadium News - The Olympic Track Will Stay
- West Ham (One That Will Keep Olympic Track) Wins Olympic Stadium Battle But Some Track Athletes Aren't Happy Some are upset a soccer team is the main tenant and some are worried the track will be ripped up in a few years.
- READ THIS If You Don't Understand The Sides On The Olympic Stadium Debate
- Olympic Stadium Battle Timeline ... In Quotes
- AEG Says Keeping Track In Olympic Stadium Will Bankrupt It In 10 Years AEG is the group behind the Home Depot Center in LA. They have done very little with the track there, but they do understand that a World Champs can't be hosted without government guarantees to the IAAF.
More Proof That Anyone Can Run A Marathon
417-Pound Three-Time US Sumo Champion Will Try To Set Record As Heaviest Marathon Finisher He's already finished one, but it wasn't video taped, so it couldn't count. This one is for the record.
Week In Review
LRC The Week That Was: Brent Vaughn And Russell Brown Surprise, Shalane Flanagan And Ashton Eaton Impress, Gebremeskel Wins With One Shoe, And Yenew Alamirew - The Next Great Star? There
was a ton of incredible action last week, from Russell Brown's surprise win in Boston to the XC champs to the heptathlon to a sub-4:00 mile at altitude, and we've got it covered. We compare Brent Vaughn to Dathan Ritzenhein, wonder when Ashton Eaton will beat Bryan Clay and Trey Hardee, and ponder whether Yenew Alamirew is the next great star of the sport.
*Video Of Alamirew's 2 Impressive 3k Wins
Wednesday's Distance Notes
- Deena Kastor's Baby Due In 2 Weeks
- Wesley Korir, After His 2 LA Marathon Titles, Has Moved To Canada And Named His First Kid McKayLA (After His Wife And 2 LA Wins)
- Jonathon Riley Helping Coach Trevor Dunbar At Portland link fixed
Nixon Chepseba Beats William Biwott (Tanui) + Millrose Mile Champ & Defending World Indoor Champ Deresse Mekonnen In 1,500m With A 3:34.98 As Multiple World Leads Set In Liévin Biwott is the guy who beat Silas Kiplagat over the weekend, so this was a stacked race. Equally as big news was the DNF by Abubaker Kaki, who came into the race undefeated at indoor 800s for his life. He was spiked 100m in and stopped running. Teddy Tamgho wanted the WR in the triple but settled for the win. *Athletics Weekly Recap *Abubaker Kaki Loses For 1st Time In His Life To David Torrence
- Irresponsible: Marion Jones Speaks To UNC Athletes Because She Has "... insight on making good choices and accepting responsibility." She still hasn't confessed the truth on her drug use.
- Oscar Pistorius Sues A Woman For $300,000 For Falsely Accusing Him Of Assault In 2009
48-Year-Old Pat Farmer Will Attempt To Run More Than 13,000 Miles From The North To The South Pole It will take him 11 months and he will have to run two full marathons a day (burning 12,000 calories in the process).
Past NCAA 400m Champ Shana Cox Is Switching Nationalities From US To Great Britain She calls the decision a "no-brainer."
- World 800m Champion And Olympic Silver Medalist Mbulaeni Mulaudzi Seeks Help From Old Rival To Try To Break South African Record Of 1:42.69
- Don't You Hate It When Running Gets In The Way Of Your Pig Hunting?
US XC Champs In San Diego *Results
Brent Vaughn Wins Convincingly, Shalane Flanagan And The Other Winners Dominate Vaughn, the CU record holder at 5k (think about that for a second) dominated the field the 2nd half of the race to win by 6 seconds, the smallest margin of victory of the day. Shalane Flanagan
totally destroyed Molly Huddle, winning by 44 seconds, and getting a little revenge for Huddle taking her 5k American record last year. Foot Locker champ Aisling Cuffe won the junior girls race convincingly. 49-year-old Master Pete Magill won in the men's masters ranks, while Colleen De Reuck showed she was in the wrong race, winning by 1:34.
*Denver Post: Brent Vaughn Makes Surprising Comeback After DNFing At US Half Marathon Champs Last Weekend Vaughn was excited to "finally" get in a satisfying race and said, "I felt like I was getting the monkey off my back. It just feels good to finally get one."
*San Diego Union-Tribune: Flanagan Dominated But Says She Didn't Know She Had It In The Bag: "I always run scared."
On The Boards: Men: BRENT MF VAUGHN
Women: Shalane Flanagan Takes USA Cross-Country Title By 45 Seconds In 25:47
Masters: 50-Year-Old Pete Magill CRUSHES
Don't Burn Out Too Early
Japanese Study Says To Become World Class, Don't Work Too Hard In Junior High
Week In Review
LRC Ritz's Injuries, Should Chris Solinsky Get Nervous?, Runner A Vs. Runner B, The Houston Course, Millrose Announcing And The Most Overlooked Performance Of The Weekend Once a week, we go beyond the headlines to cover the running scene like no one else. So before you turn your attention to the Super Bowl, give us 5 minutes and learn what's going on in the running world. Updated at noon with more on Houston course, praise for Tim Hutchings on ESPN broadcast.
Oregon Fans, Eat Your Hearts Out
- A Look At Oregon's Ridiculous Recruiting Class For Next Year Lukas Verzbicas is just the tip of the iceberg.
- Brianne Theisen's NCAA Pentathlon Record Will Count Even Though On Oversized Track
Lananna Says He's Not A Finalist For USATF Job Eugene Register-Guard The article says USATF is down to 3 finalists. The article doesn't name the finalists, but only names three people (Lananna and Mary Wittenberg, who both have publicly said they aren't interested, and Rich Kenah (former World Championships bronze medallist)).
*Comparing Houston's Olympic Trials Preview Course To Last Year's Houston Course Runner's World
*New Executive Director Of Houston Marathon Pleased With Marathon Preparation For Olympic Trials Houston Chronicle
Good Read: Jerry Schumacher Profile In Portland Paper Got to be a quote of the day in here somewhere."
US Half Champs In Houston *Results, Prize Money, Splits *Updated Photos *Live Thread
Men: LRC Mo Trafeh Outkicks Ryan Hall Ryan Hall, Mo Trafeh and Patrick Smyth battled together on the streets
Houston for 11 miles. In the twelfth mile, Hall tried to push ahead. Smyth was the first to crack, but Trafeh stayed on Hall's
heels. With 200m to go, Trafeh gave it one final surge and passed Hall to get the win.
*Video Of Men's Finish *Men's Post-Race Interviews
Women: LRC Jen Rhines' Return Trumps Burla's After a 4-year absence, Jen Rhines made a return to the longer distances with a win and a PR. However, her comeback was the least impressive of the day, as that award definitely goes to Serena Burla. Burla was second just as she was last year. However, in the last year, she had been diagnosed and beaten cancer. Pretty amazing. Mother of three, Nan Kennard, who trains with Colleen De Reuck, was a surprise third.
*Video Of Women's Finish *Women's Post-Race Press Conference
Week In Review: *More Dubai Photos Here
LRC Week That Was: Delaware Gets The Ax, Wanjiru Crashes, Dubai Makes Some Marathoners Rich, And The US Indoor Season Gets Going As usual, we recap the week in running like nobody else. Now that the holidays are behind us, the running world is starting to heat up again.
Caster Semenya Sits Down & Gives The BBC Her 1st Extended Interview Since Gender Controversy Arose Semenya said she doesn't want to dwell on the gender issues; she only wants to focus on running, but she did get irritated when asked if she was given hormonal treatment.
Boston Globe Feature Article
Have Athletes Reached Their Limits? The author seems to think they have because so many world records have stagnated since the 1980s. He does acknowledge drugs played a role in many records from the '80s. However, he is perplexed by one athlete - Usain Bolt - and says Bolt's breakthroughs today are why he is so newsworthy. Track and field, by focusing on the competition and not the records, can stay relevant in our opinion.
Duke Senior Kate Van Buskirk Sets Collegiate Record In 1,000 She had an incredible weekend as she ran 2:41.00 after splitting 2:04.15 on a 4 x 800.
More Men's Track & XC Programs Bite The Dust
Sports Illustrated Columnist Joins LRC Faithful In Ripping Delaware For Cutting Its Men's Track & Field / XC Teams Jeff Pearlman is a little biased as he used to run for them, but that doesn't mean he's not right on the money. UD Track is 100 years old this year.
*LRC MBoarders Express Their Outrage
*A Blogger Is Irate
*Delaware's Cowardly Release
Bemidji State's Men's Indoor & Outdoor Programs Get The Ax Not quite as old as Delaware, which is celebrating its 100th anniversary, Bemidji track has been around since 1928.
Alberto On Galen
LRC: Update On Galen Rupp's Training: Two Distinct Seasons For Rupp In 2011, More Mileage Alberto Salazar has done a tremendous job crafting Galen Rupp's career despite the critics (we specifically remember pro athletes who saw Galen train as a high schooler saying he'd burn out). Alberto says 2011 will be a bit different for Galen than 2009 and 2010, with 2 distinct peaks (and time off in between) and that there is still a lot of room for improvement in terms of training mileage. Plus, we take a look back at Galen's incredibly long and consistent 2009 and 2010 seasons.
It's Not This Easy In America
Olympic Marathon Champ And Accused Attempted Murderer Sammy Wanjiru And His Wife Supposedly Reconcile Press reports are indicating that the families of Wanjiru and his wife got involved and urged a reconciliation which may result in charges being dropped, although his wife was a bit coy in her responses to the press (as we're
sure $$$ is still being negotiated). *Updated
LRC MBoard Talk: "He is now officially qualified to be a professional American athlete. Can some of the women on this board tell me why abused women stay with their abuser. Often, until they are beaten to death?"
*Sammy Wanjiru Arrested For Attempting To Kill His Wife And A Domestic Worker
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.