Thursday's Zatopek 10k Down Under
Menjo Vs. Kipkosgei Vs. Bobby Curtis Vs. Collis Birmingham Should be a great one.
A Look At The 50 Years Of The Zatopek 10 IAAF
Ben St. Lawrence Has Gone From Overweight Boozer (Photo To Prove It) To Aussie Star
Previous Zatopek News: Menjo Wants To Break Zatopek Record On Its 50th Anniversary Menjo is the favorite but he'll be facing Australian record holder Collis Birmingham (27:29) and American NCAA 5k champ Bobby Curtis (27:33). Menjo breezed yesterday through a 2,000m workout in 5:20 (26:56 pace). As the legend of Menjo grows, we have discovered that Menjo is - believe it or not - the second most accomplished member of his household. His wife is Eunice Jepkorir, who won the silver at the 2008 Olympics in the steeplechase. If you have no idea who Menjo is, click here.
*Details On Menjo's 2k Workout
*15 Minute Video On The History Of Zatopek And A Preview Of 2010 Race Kudos to the race organizers for trying to educate the public.
Caster Semenya To Start Racing Again In January Yesterday, her coach indicated she may race on December 18th, but her fitness test must have not gone well as she comes back from injury.
Some Big Names Call It Quits
- Stunning: Gary Reed Retires The Canadian 800m star got a silver at the 2007 Worlds, was 4th in the 2008 Olympics and is only 29 years old.
- Michael Wilbon Retires From The Washington Post & Says A Track & Field Race Was His Favorite Moment During His Entire Career In Sports Journalism Wilbon penned a goodbye column this week. Can you guess which Olympic race caused him to write with tears?
- Japan's 2:07:52 Man Tomoaki Kunichika Retires He was a 1996 Olympian and by our stats retires as the 29th fastest non-African in history.
Somewhat Interesting Reads
- Recommended Read Kenya's 1st-Ever Olympic Medallist Wilson Chumo Doesn't Mind Lack Of Accolades The guy who won bronze in the 800 in 1964 is very humble. The article also reveals that Henry Rono is up for the Kenyan HOF this year.
- Confident (Or Cocky?) Silas Kiplagat Reflects On His Breakout 2010 Season The article has some great insight from his coach Moses Kiptanui.
- Sac Bee: The Only Athletes Likely To Quit The Marathon Are Elites
NCAA Track Has Started And Track & Field News Says Oregon Has The #1 Freshman Class For Both Men & Women Surprisingly, Texas A&M isn't anywhere in the top 10 for either sex.
European XC (Sunday)
Europeans: Ireland's Joe Sweeney Is Back From Overtraining And Ready For European XC Sweeney has turned some heads in Irish circles with this quote in a different article: "If there's one thing I learned from the last two years is (sic) that you don't depend on Athletics Ireland for anything, you've got to be self-sufficient."
LetsRun.com Celebrity News
Nike Cross Nationals *Live Thread *Girls Results *Boys Results
Boys: Lukas V. Wins Edward Cheserek, a Kenyan kid now living in NJ, was 2nd (more on his NXN race here).
Defending Champ Craig Lutz of Texas was third. Lukas will defend his Foot Locker title next weekend.
Arcadia (CA) won the team title. The F-M Boys were second.
*Jim Rosa's High School XC Career Ends In Disappointment As He Was Just 78th Well, he should take solace that Chris Solinsky was 73rd at NCAAs in 2006. The article makes it sound like brother Joe Rosa is nowhere close to coming back.
*Recommended Read: Meet The Amazing Edward Cheserek The orphan showed up in the US in June with no luggage, just the clothes on his back.
*2nd Great Article On Cheserek
On The Boards: Lukas who? Japanese high school kid runs 28:23 10k!!!!
Girls: Rachel Johnson Of Texas Wins It Johnson was only 3rd in her Foot Locker Regional last weekend, but has a good excuse, as girls in Texas only run 2 miles in XC. Next week she'll be back at the Foot Locker Nationals. The F-M Girls won their 5th in a row in a runaway.
*Fayetteville-Manlius Girls Win 5th Straight With Record Low Score Of 27 & Scary Thing Is They Might Be Even Better Next Year They only have one senior in their lineup. *Local Coaches Praise Powerhouse F-M Girls Program
From The LRC Archives: Training Talk With F-M Coach Bill Aris He's clearly doing something right with 5 straight girls championships and now 2 boys runner-ups.
Foot Locker West Regionals: The Field Is Now Set For Next Week's Nationals
USATF Convention News
- Hightower, McNees Speak Following Closing General Session
- Awards At USATF Convention
- USATF Athletes Advisory Committee Elects Leadership
Good News/Bad News
Olympic Champs Asbel Kiprop And Brimin Kipruto To Run Edinburgh XC Meet/Meet Is Only 4km We're pumped to see the former junior World XC champ return to XC. If Kiprop wants to know why his times aren't better, he needs to look no farther than the fact that his endurance wasn't as good last year. P.S. 4km XC is a joke.
More Good News European Insurance Giant Aviva Comes In To Save Day For Irish Schools Athletics Program Click on the link to get more info and see a cool photo of Eamonn Coghlan. *More On Early XMas Present For Athletics Ireland Here
*Former 5k World Champ Coghlan Busy These Days Motorcyling And Being The Head Of A Golf Club
Olympic Javelin's Jav Caught By Google Street View Let's hope they catch Marion Jones injecting herself next.
- Italian Daniele Meucci, Who Got Italy's First European Distance Medal Since 1990, Is Inspired By Chris Solinsky If you thought American distance runners were bad in the '90s, look at Italy. They didn't have a European medal for 20 years.
- David McNeill Says Side Stitch Did Him In At Nationals And That "Flagstaff Is His Running Home"
Interesting Read Sports Economics: Daegu, Korea To Spend $190 Million On World Championships Asia apparently is the only one with money left to burn.
Other Articles That Are Possibly Worth A Click/Listen
- Haverford's Tom Donnelly Enjoying First National Title After 35 Years Of Coaching Donnelly is highly respected within the coaching community.
- Good Marketing Move
Main Theme At South African Track Meets This Year Will Be The Sub-4 Mile Meanwhile, idiots in America will continue to run the 1,500.
Scientists Used MRI Scans To Study Runners Over Trans-European Foot Race And Have Some Interesting Findings On Fat Burning, Injuries Nothing groundbreaking, but if you're into this stuff, it's worth a read.
LRC In Monaco
LRC US Sprints Stars Jeremy Wariner And Allyson Felix Look Back At 2010 And Ahead To 2011 Wariner wants to keep getting stronger as he has put his knee surgery behind him. Felix is preparing for a possible quadruple
in London but first she'll have to beat VCB in an Olympics- something she hasn't done.
Previous From Monaco:
LRC 800m World Record Holders: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha All Together In One Room For The First Time Ever We didn't hype this enough last week because of NCAAS but you'll learn something if you give this a read or watch.
LRC Bernard Lagat Says The 5k Is His Focus; Watch Out For His Brother, Robert Cheseret
LRC Dayron Robles And David Oliver Agree On One Thing - Allen Johnson Is The Best Hurdler Of All Time Robles and Oliver were really entertaining. Oliver is now one of our favorite US runners.
The Age-Old Question
The limit of human performance: How much faster? Science of Sport It seems like ever since people started recording how long it took to run a certain distance, they've speculated about what the final, unbreachable barriers of performance might be. Sixty years ago, most people thought a 4:00 mile might be the limit. Now the record is over 16 seconds faster than that. Where does it end? Will somebody eventually break 2 hours for a marathon? Do we now really know enough about human physiology to reasonably predict where the human body eventually reaches an asymptotic limit which can only be further approached but never surpassed? Or are we still imposing arbitrary limitations on ourselves?
Webb's Comeback Continues On Turkey Day!
Boards: Webb Over Rupp In Silicon Valley Trot
Alan Webb (13:36) kicked past Galen Rupp for the win in a last-minute matchup of training partners at the Applied Materials Silicon Valley Turkey Trot.
*Top 10 Men's Results NAU junior Diego Estrada wasn't happy with his 16th at NCAAs on Monday so he ran 13:50 for 4th on Thursday.
*Mercury News Recap With Webb Quotes
*LRC Reader Gets Race Photos Word from out west is Webb looks fitter than ever.
*Video: Salazar Talks After The Race, Plus Men's Finish
2010 NCAAs Aftermath *LRC Men's Recap *Men's Results *LRC Men's Photo Gallery *LRC Women's Recap *Women's Results *LRC Women's Photo Gallery *See Who LRC Visitors Voted For Here (LetsRun $201,000 Contest Scores Here)
*LRC Oklahoma State And Chelanga Repeat!!! History repeated itself but things didn't necessarily go as expected, as Oklahoma State dominated and Sam Chelanga didn't win until the very end. Florida State went from 2nd-from-last to 2nd as the Cowboys' only real challenger on the day in Wisconsin faded, as their third runner
totally blew up in the final 2k collapsed some 250 meters from the finish line.
*High Winds Hurt Colorado As Their Run-From-Behind Strategy Ran Into Difficulties The Buff men had their worst showing since 1989, as they were 15th.
*Okla. State Newspaper: Cowboys Bring Home School's 50th NCAA Title & Third Largest Margin Of Victory 5th man Jonathan Stublaski had to lobby his way onto the team after bombing at conference and he came through with All-American honors. Meanwhile, the Okla. State paper features a LetsRun.com photo as we decided to be nice and give the poor college students one for free. T. Boone Pickens, please send us a check.
NCAA Men On The Boards:
*Oregon men only five runners?
*Stanford FAILS again!
*OSU's Ryan Prentice ran with one shoe for 9000 m
*Chris Derrick in elite company
*161 31:42.0 A.J. Acosta SR Oregon 31:42.0
*What happened to 25 year old David McNeil?
*Show Luke Puskedrsa some love, he earned it!!
*What if Ryan Sheridan had run for Iona?
(NCAA women's coverage in 2nd column)
Kenyans Are Pumped Rudisha Is 1st Ever Kenyan To Be Named World Athlete Of The Year *More On IAAF Athletes Of The Year David Rudisha And Blanka Vlašić
*Blanka Vlašić And David Rudisha Win IAAF Athlete Of The Year Awards *IAAF Release Additionally, both athletes will receive $100,000 despite the IAAF's financial situation.
LRC Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha All Together In One Room For The First Time Ever There may never be a night like it for the 800m. The last four world record holders, Alberto Juantorena, Seb Coe, Wilson Kipketer and David Rudisha all gathered together to reminisce about their record runs, to pay their respects to one another and to discuss the uniqueness of the 800m. It was a truly special occasion and these greats were almost giddy about it. They mesmerized the room for 40 minutes. Juantorena and Kipketer wanted their own photos, Coe said the photo would be his Christmas card, and Juantorena also wanted a video of the occasion. We then were notified we have the only video of it in the world. Recap and video.
More Great Stuff From The IAAF Meetings In Monaco LRC Bernard Lagat Says The 5k Is His Focus; Watch Out For His Brother, Robert Cheseret The American 3k and 5k record holder talks about his 2010 season, what took him so long to get the American record, raising the bar for Americans, and the bar being raised by Dathan Ritzenhein. Plus he says watch out for his brother, Robert Cheseret.
LRC Dayron Robles And David Oliver Agree On One Thing - Allen Johnson Is The Best Hurdler Of All Time Robles and Oliver were really entertaining. Oliver is now one of our favorite US runners.
*Vlašić, Felix, Lemaitre And Wariner Meet The Media In Monaco
*President Diack's Remarks At The 2010 Athlete Of The Year Press Conference
US Distance News
- Khannouchis Are Divorcing, But Sandra Will Still Coach Khalid And They're Both Moving To Colorado Springs Sounds like a very amicable divorce. Clearly Special K has not given up on competing.
- USATF Club Champs Preview: Michael Crouch, Aaron Braun, Brett Gotcher And Jason Hartmann All Running Hansons, Boulder Running, McMillan Elite all will be running this weekend.
- New Balance Indoors To Be Only National High School Meet This Winter
- Bill Rodgers Runs 1:39:39 For Half Marathon He was duking it out on the course with a woman age-grouper most of the race. He had a similar battle with Letsrun.com's Rojo 12 years ago with Rojo coming out on top.
The Stars Of Track And Field Party In Monaco *Wejo's Photo Gallery 1 *Pro Photo Gallery 2
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was - Fukuoka, Working Hard For A Living, Cal International And NXN We go beyond the headlines to give you the scoop of what is happening in the sport. We present to you a difficult way you can make $77,000 a year from running, analyze American vs. Japanese marathon depth, show you the favorites always win in our sport and then turn around and have some interesting stories from NXN on underdogs coming out on top. We even point out the first mistake ever made from the Nike marketing department.
Politics & Running Collide
- Anti-Immigration Politician In Italy Demands Marathons Stop Being Funded Since "Winners Are Always Africans And Foreigners In Underpants"
- Leftists Call For adidas Boycott Of Jerusalem Marathon Apparently the course goes right through a heart of some annexed land.
Leading Ladies In The News
- Caster Semenya Will Return To Racing Dec. 18th Assuming She Passes An Upcoming Fitness Test
- Lisa Koll Talks About Life As A Professional She's running more than 100 mpw right now, adjusting to life as a pro and handling a long distance relationship.
- Sonia O'Sullivan Urgest Irish Athletes To Not Let Financial Woes Distract Them From Getting Ready For 2012 O'Sullivan is the leader of the 2012 Irish team apparently.
Katie McGregor And Antonio Vega Named USATF Distance Athletes Of The Year McGregor did win three US titles but we bet both of them would trade their seasons in a heartbeat with Meb and Shalane, who should have won in our minds (unless it counts the 10k, where Solinsky obviously wins).
Miguel Heras, Brother Of Cyclist Roberto Heras, Wins North Face Endurance 50 Mile And $10,000 Ultra star Geoff Roes was passed in the final miles by Heras. More here. Nice video
recap here. We must say it looks pretty interesting.
*Max King And Sally Meyerhoff Win XTerra Trail Champs And $2k
Weekend Pro XC Action
Foot Locker XC This Weekend
- Injured runner not allowed to return to team for State qualifiers, wins FL West
- Lukas Verzbicas in Historical Context
- Footlocker Finals Predictions
- NY's Eddie Owens Is Ready To Race The Big Boys At Foot Locker NY Post
- Non-Foot Locker But Worth A Read If You Missed It Yesterday: NXN Runner-Up Christie Rutledge Was 7th On The JV Last Year
- More In Our High School Forum
Fukuoka Marathon *Video Highlights (In Japanese) *RR: Amazing Marathon Stats
- 2 Time World Champ, Olympic Silver Medallist Jaouad Gharib Wins In Fukuoka Amerian Fasil Bizuneh dropped out in the hot conditions. *Japan Running News Recap *Andrew Lemoncello Also Dropped Out He had a good one going before being hit with a side stitch.
- Cal International: Dylan Wykes Wins Cal In 2:12:39
- Scott Bauhs 1:02:38 Half Marathon In Vegas *Josh Cox Gets More Publicity (2:25 Win)
- James Kirwa Wins White Rock
- 2:14 And 2:35 Win In Singapore
- 2:08 At Age 40, 47-Year-Old Former NYC Champ Andres Espinoza Shooting For 2:15 At Age 50 He ran the Metro PCS Dallas White Rock marathon this weekend and ran 2:31 after a 1:13 first half.
Weekend XC Action
Men: Adams State Over Western Scott Simmons-coached Michael Crouch got the individual win.
Women: Grand Valley State Wins Over Western Former WC marathon bronze medallist Steve Spence's daughter Neely got the win.
Message Board Thread On DII
LRC Fans Division II Predictions From Our Prediction Contest They picked 3 of the 4 winners.
- Ryan Hall Sighted In Flagstaff
- Unreal: 59:54 Guy In Peter Kariuki Doesn't Have A Manager
- Irish Athletics On The Way Back? 28 National records set in 2010.
- Sanya Richards Pleased As 200-400 Double Is Possible At 2012 Olympics
- Recap Of Saturday's Cross Meet In Kenya
4-Time World XC Silver Medallist Catherina McKiernan Reviews Ian O'Riordan's New Book The Irish Times writer's book isn't available in the US but looks interesting and is called "Miles to Run, Promises to Keep - Strange adventures of the distance runner."
- Ex-Student Association Does Not Want High School In Jamaica Renamed For Asafa Powell We think it's crazy to name a high school even for Usain Bolt. Let them finish competing first.
- Usain Bolt's New Track In Jamaica To Host Meets In 2011
Week In Review WikiLeaks Style
LRC NCAA Week In Review We didn't steal the data or jeopardize national security, but in the tradition of WikiLeaks, we have a data dump in our Week In Review that covers the NCAA XC Meet. Also, last week Alan Webb took down Galen Rupp on the roads at 5k.
USOC Hopes IOC Participates In LaShawn Merritt's Arbitration We're the biggest anti-dopers out there and think the IOC needs to follow the WADA code and let Merritt compete in 2012 ... or change the rules.
Lots Of European Weekend XC Action
- World XC Champ Joseph Ebuya Crushes Diamond League 5k Champ Imane Merga In France By 29 Seconds As Linet Masai Wins
- Eritrea's Teklemariam Medhin Wins In Spain As "Menjo" Finishes 2nd Losing to Medhin is nothing to be embarrassed about, as he beat Ebuya earlier this year.
- Steffen Uliczka And Adrienne Herzog Prevail In Tilburg
- Irish Woodies DIY Inter-County Cross-Country Championships
- Italian Meet
Asian Games Are Over
Korea's Ji Young-Jun Breaks Away From World Silver Medallist Mubarak Hassan Shami And Wins Asian Games Marathon
Thrilling 10k Battle Between
Ethiopia & Kenya Bahrain And Qatar Highlight Next-To-Last Day Of Asian Champs A new record of 27:32 was set as the winner came back from 60 meters down over the final 3 laps to win narrowly.
*Reminiscent Of Beijing 2008, Host China Puts On An Impressive Show The host nation once again wowed spectators with dazzling ceremonies, top-notch security and a record haul of 199 gold medals (all sports). Liu Xiang was of course one of the major stars.
*IAAF Day 6 Recap
*Chinese Fans And Media Ecstatic With Liu Xiang's 13.09 Return
*Iran's Sajad Moradi And Iraq's Adnan Taees Akkar Go 1-2 In Men's 800
*Guangzhou Spent 20% More On Asian Games Than London Will On 2012 Olympics $18.3 billion in funds went to hosting the games in a a move local officials hope will pay off in long run with more events being hosted.
*Singapore Govt. Condemns National Flag On Front Of Swimmers' Speedos
13.09 For Liu Xiang As He Wins Asian Games A surprisingly good time for Liu. In other action, World 1,500m champ Yusuf Kamel did not start the 800 a couple days after criticizing team officials for making him running the 1,500. He said then, "I know that I can't achieve anything."
Some NCAA XC Tidbits
- Oregon Men And Women Left To Rebuild After Being Left Off Podium
- Having Overcome Injuries, Foot Locker National Champ Michael Fout Is Now Running Well For FSU
- Oklahoma State's Tom Farrell Is Starting To Impress Some In His Native Britain OSU's #4 ran a few British junior indoor records last year, including a 7:58. Farrell just finished 29th at NCAAs.
More Rudisha AOY News
Famed Coach Brother Colm O'Connell Says Rudisha's "Not There Yet" To truly be considered great, the world record holder needs a world and Olympic title.
"The Party Continues" The Standard of Kenya The worldwide domination of little LetsRun.com continues as this Kenyan article quotes from LetsRun.com detailing the incredible gathering of David Rudisha, Seb Coe, Wilson Kipketer and Alberto Juantorena in one room for the first time ever. If you haven't read our recap of the event or watched the exclusive video Juantorena wants a copy of, click here.
2010 NCAAs Are History *Women's Results *LRC Women's Photo Gallery *Men's Results *LRC Men's Photo Gallery
*LRC Sheila Reid Leads Villanova To Repeat Title!!! Individual champ Sheila Reid led 'Nova to a record 9th title as Florida State was 2nd and #10 Texas Tech was 3rd.
*Reid The Leader Of The Pack As 'Nova Repeats Reid has overcome the injury that ended Bo Jackson's career.
*Oregonian: Oregon Ends Up With Two 3rd Place Individuals In Hasay And Puskedra
*AP Recap Of NCAA Meet *ESPN.com Recap *Philly.com Recap Of 'Nova And Reid
(More Men's Coverage in 1st Column)
Recommended Read: Q&A With Famed Track And Field Journalist James Dunaway He'll be only the 2nd journalist inducted into the T&F Hall of Fame and he deserves the honor after more than 50 years in the sport. A great guy and an LRC visitor.
A Truly Crazy Read: Two Rochester, NY Old Guys Battling It Out To Become 1st Marathoner To Run 1,000 In History One is 79 years old and had a stroke and lives in a nursing home and has a walker but plans to run some more while his 90-year-old friend is playing catchup as he's 220 behind.
Amazing 50-Year-Old Elina Zvereva Aiming For 2012 Games In Discus She's no slouch, as she did win Olympic gold at age 39.
NCAA D3s Are In The Books *Men's Results *Women's Results *MBoard Talk
- Women: Terry Aldrich Goes Out On Top Middlebury gave its retiring 36-year coach the perfect going away present as they won their sixth title since 2000 despite putting no one in the top 23.
- Pre-Race: Aldrich Ready For Final NCAA Run *Middlebury Piece On Aldrich
- Men: Anders Hulleberg Leads #2 Haverford To Win Over North Central Nothing tops taking home the individual and team titles.
Alberto - Read This: Scientists Say They Have No Idea How Form Really Works & How Fast People Can Truly Run This article seems to be written for people who believe Alberto Salazar's obsession with form is all wrong.
HS News: CBA's Mike Mazzaccaro Claims Title As Greatest CBA Runner In History As His 15:20 Leads Team To Fastest Avg. Time In NJ History
*Weekly HS Recap NJ MOC, MA state meet and a lot more.
Zatopek 10k History And Preview
North Face 50 Miler Recap (Looks Interesting And Crazy At The Same Time)
What's Next For Rudisha After Hero's Welcome In Kenya? (If You Haven't Heard About Rudisha, Coe, Kipketer And Juantorena Getting Together, Click Here)
800m Royalty Together For The First Time Ever: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha (It's Well Worth A Watch If You Have The Time, Or Read The Recap Here)
Webb Beats Rupp - Silicon Valley Turkey Trot Finish Video - More, Including Interview With Salazar, At Spiked Up Psyched Up Blog
Old 15k WR Holder Interviews New WR Holder
LetsRun.com's Message Boarders Rejoice
Despite Being European 400m Champ, Kevin Borlée's Dad Wants Him To Move Up To The 800 He is the "slow" Borlée twin yet was the European champ this year. He's not ready to move up.
NYC Champ Edna Kiplagat Getting Props In Boulder
- Kiplagat Wins NYC, Relaxes In Boulder And Her Family Wants To Know If She Met Edison Pena
- Denver Post Profile On Kiplagat And Her Training In Boulder