Monaco Diamond League Thursday *Start Lists/Results (Key Running Events Start At 2:05 pm EST - Monaco Is 6 Hrs Ahead Of NY) - Last Diamond League Meet For 2 Weeks
- Start Lists LetsRun.com distance fans will be salivating at the men's 1,500m and women's 800m. The men's 1,500 has all 3 American Worlds finalists from last year - Lagat, Lomong and Manzano, plus 2010 NCAA star Andrew
Wheating, Australia's German Fernandez (Ryan Gregson), and up-front Kenyan stars Augustin Choge
and the world's best miler Asbel Kiprop.The women's 800m has the 3 top Americans in 2010 - Alysia Johnson, Phoebe Wright and Maggie Vessey (and US #1 in 2009 Anna Pierce) all racing in the same race overseas that means something. They'll take on Paris winner Halima Hachlif.
- Walter Dix Pulls Out Of Matchup With Tyson Gay Due To "Financial Reasons"
- Preview Of Monaco From Athletics Weekly *IAAF Preview
- AP Preview: Oliver Chasing WR
- Tyson Gay Enjoying Being Star Of Show In Monaco He's the only one on the posters promoting the meet.
- Lagat Enjoys Monaco As His Home Away From Home It's the site of his first 3:30 as well as a 3:27 for him. Plus, he wonders if Andrew Wheating is "a little bit scared."
- David Oliver Is "Just Doing It" "It’s the world record for a reason. You just don't wake up and stretch your arms and yawn and say 'I think I'm going to run the world record today.'"
- Never Gonna Happen: Campbell-Brown And Jeter Want Women Sprinters To Get As Much Acclaim As Men
- Lashinda Demus Is Only .29 From World Record In 400H
NY Times Writes Sympathetic Piece On Justin Gatlin The former WR holder is facing hurdles in getting invited to major meets as his drug ban ends. All we can say is he's lucky to not have been banned for life. *Shocking Tidbit From Article: Nike Never Cancelled Gatlin's Contract
Meb Pulls Out Of Bix 7-Miler With Knee Injury Meb is still going to Iowa to be part of the festivities and says he's only a few weeks away from racing. In his absence, he picks Hall to win. *MBoard Talk Of Meb Here *USATF Release
*Great Idea: Local "Jackpot Winner" Will Start 2.4 Miles Ahead Of Elites And Try To Win $3,300
Doug Logan's Job In Jeopardy At USATF!? Someone clearly has it out for Logan. They leaked it to the press that reportedly he has one month to improve or be fired. The article does not say what he is doing wrong or what he needs to do to improve, just that some are unhappy. Very, very strange, but Logan is damaged no matter the outcome. Welcome to the dysfunctional world of USATF politics.
Drug News / European News / Today's Sign Of The Apocalypse:
- Race Walker Tests Positive For Blood-Boosting Drug Race walkers will dope but never an American distance runner, right?
- Lisa Dobriskey Can't Be Sure Two Convicted Druggies Who Finished Ahead Of Her In Paris Will Be Clean At Europeans
- British Shot Putters Jamie Stevenson And Kieren Kelly Banned For 2 Years For Refusing Tests
- Dwain Chambers No Longer Running Angry As He Enters European Champs
Nation's Best Will Celebrate LRC Founders Day (July 24th) By Clashing At Bix 7-Miler *Full Elite Fields
- Lisa Koll To Battle Molly Huddle In Iowa On Saturday The two most recent sub-15 runners in American history will square off for the 2nd time in a week as Koll wraps up her season (and begins her road racing career) at the US 7-mile champs.
- Ryan Hall And Meb Keflezighi To Battle At Bix 7-Miler We can think of no better way to celebrate LRC Founders day than to have Hall and Meb battle it out in the nation's heartland.
Next Month On The Roads:
Star-Studded Field Lining Up For 38th CIGNA Falmouth Road Race Martin Lel will be gracing the streets of America.
Recommended Read Rinse Your Mouth With Carbohydrates Before Running And You Will Run Faster This study is pretty fascinating.
Semenya Wins Convincingly In 2:02.42 2 for 2 for Semenya in 2010.
Tangier, Morocco Meet *Results
Lagat Wins 1,500 In 3:36.89, Acosta Runs 3:38, Wheating Skips Meet To Run Monaco On Thursday Plus, the good Leo Manzano showed up with a 1:45.18 PR, Christian Cantwell won the shot in 21.43, Carmelita Jeter won the 100m in 11.04. On the negative side of things, Xavier Carter ran over 21 seconds in the 200. It's been a horrible year for Xavier (although he did run 20.15 last week) on and off the track. Carter ran 19.63 4 years ago and won the NCAA 100 and 400. *IAAF Recap
2010 World Juniors *Live Results *Day 2 Results *Day 1 Results *Entries By Event *LRC Photos: Day 2 AM *Day 2 PM (Parker Stinson)
Day 3 - PM: Unreal: 149 And 0. Brit Jodie Williams Claims World 100m Gold #1 seed Ashton Purvis of the US was only 4th. *Mboard Talk On Williams
In other action, little Dibaba beat Mercy Cherono for gold in the 5k in 15:08, as American Emily Sisson set a US Hs record of 15:48.
*Dexter Lee Becomes 1st Boy To Repeat As 100m Champ
*USATF: 2 Medals & Sisson's 15:48 Highlight
AM: Ajee Wilson (2:04.33) Advances To 800 Finals As Laura Roesler (2:04.34) Doesn't *USATF Recap Here
Nice Kenyan Article On World JR 10k Champ Dennis Masai
More World Jr. Stuff Below
- Absolutely Loaded Field That Includes Wanjiru, Tadese, Robert K Cheruiyot And James Kwambai To Race In Italy On Monday The field also includes defending champ Vincent Kipruto. Ryan Hall was committed to the race but has pulled out due to "personal reasons," which may mean Bix.
- Jenny Meadows Expects Caster Semenya To Smash World Record She also expects Semenya to get constant stares by fans and competitors alike.
- More Meadows: "I don't think there is acceptance" Of Semenya
- British LJ Record Holder Greg Rutherford Is Out Of Europeans A shame, as he was 5th at Worlds last year.
LRC Ritzenhein To Make Marathon "Re-Debut" At 2010 ING New York City Marathon After his breakthroughs of last summer, Ritz is excited to tackle the 26.2 mile distance in New York once again, while NYRR head Mary Wittenberg thinks he definitely can win it. Meanwhile, coach Alberto Salazar finally thinks to a bio-mechanical analysis done by Nike, Ritz's injury things are a thing of the past. We cover all of that and more, including Ritz's current fitness and mileage level, talk of Alan Webb and Galen Rupp working out together and learn why Ritz didn't watch his AR fall in the 5k.
More 2010 World Junior News
PM: Texas's (& Oregon Signee) Parker Stinson Has Record Run In Men's 10k His 29:32 produced the best finish by a US junior, as he was 6th. He also moves up to #6 on the US junior list. That's the good
news. The bad news is that Linet Masai's little brother won the event in a staggering 27:53. *MBoard Talk About Stinson
AM: USATF Day 2 World Juniors Morning Recap: Laura Roesler And Ajee Wilson Advance In 800, Recap Of Men's 1,500m, Women's Steeple And More
*IAAF Recap Of Tuesday Morning Session At World Juniors: 100m Qualifying The article complains about the heat in Canada. The high in New Brunswick was 77 Tuesday. That is not hot.
Day 1: Mercy Cherono Defends Crown In Women's 3k The world junior XC champ had to put up a very strong performance, as the top 4 all broke 9:00. Jordan Hasay was 9th in an outdoor PR of 9:15. On The Boards: Hasay - 9:15.78 - Lifetime Best
*USATF: Hasay, Sisson run lifetime bests on opening night of IAAF World Junior Championships Hasay actually ran a 9:12 indoors, but that doesn't count according to the IAAF as it was on an oversized track.
Video Of Hasay's Race
Recommend: Asbury Park Press Profiles America's Top Jr 800 Runners
*After 2:00 Relay Split, 16-Year-Old Ajee WIlson Is Ready To Take On World's Best
*Robby Andrews Is Ready To Enter World Jrs As #1 Seed *Message Board Thread About Andrews/Wilson
Recommended Read/Unreal Stat: 146 And 0. British Junior Sprinter Jodie Williams Is Undefeated For Life She's going to have her hands full in the 100m, where she is seeded 2nd at 11.24.
*Defending 100m Champ Dexter Lee Eyes Junior Jamaican Record Of 10.11
*After Finishing 4th At Senior World Champs, Jehue Gordon Is Ready For World Juniors
*IAAF Preview Of World Jrs
*Hasay Ready To Take On World Fresno Bee
Year 2 Of The American Mid-D Woman *Full Results
Alysia Johnson Runs 1:57.85 As 4 Americans Go Sub-2 Maggie Vessey was 2nd in 1:59.00, Morgan Uceny went sub-2 for the 1st time in 1:59.24, and Molly Beckwith did as well in 1:59.83. Surprisingly, the US top 800 meter runner for 2009, Anna Pierce, was only 5th in the race and thus the 5th American. That makes 7 American women sub-2 in 2010 (we might have had 6 in
one race, but Erin Donohue gets snubbed by everyone and was in heat 2, which she won). Oscar Pistorius (the amputee runner) ran 46.03 in the 400 and David Torrence and Jacob Hernandez were in the men's 800.
On The Boards: Alysia Johnson 1:57.85! What a year for her, she keeps on rolling... Got to love this quote: "Why did the US travel all the way to Morocco to rerun the USTAF 800m in two sections?" The meet was in Italy, not Morocco.
*Women's 800 Race Video
Week In Review
LRC The Week That Was We start things off by reliving Steve Cram's magical summer of 1985 when he went a perfect 7-for-7 and set seven personal bests, including three world records. Then we relish the sub-15:00 clockings of Lisa Koll and Molly Huddle and try to figure out which great run impressed us the most. We relive the 2010 Kenyan champs and tell you about the 9 men who broke the world record in 10k at altitude to little fanfare and wonder if Chris Solinsky would have even finished in the top 10 at the Kenyan champs. Along the way, we tell you to remember the name Silas Kiplagat, as he may be a future star. Plus, we talk about how it was great week for US 800-meter runners and Christin Wurth-Thomas but a bad one for Lopez Lomong and Anna Pierce. All of that plus the Usain Bolt party continues.