More Action We Didn't Cover Monday
Lemaitre Follows Up 9.98 With 20.16 200m
Brasschat: Results: Molly Huddle 4:09 1,500m Win, Jeff See 3:40 Win, Shannon Rowbury 2:03 800m Chris Solinsky remains the world leader at 10k, as the 10k was won in 27:30.
USATF Club Champs: Recap
- USA Track & Field Announces Men's 8k Championship To Be In Carmel, IN In 2010 $20k in prize money is all it takes to get a national championship in our sport.
- Jenny Meadows Says She Can't Beat Caster Semenya If Semenya Is Healthy
- Sexual Abuse Claims Against A Prominent Athletics Coach In Ireland Coach and athlete are unnamed.
- Serbia's Triple Jump Star Biljana Loves Economics And Meryl Streep Clearly it's a slow news day.
- Not Sure If We Covered It: Interview With Colleen De Reuck, Who Ran A 2:30 Marathon In May In Copenhagen
NACAC U-23 Championships *Full Results
UC Irvine Sophomore Charles Jock Runs 1:45.65 To Win By 2-Plus Seconds Jock is the guy who ran a 1:46.17 in the semis at NCAAs but somehow didn't make the final. Since then, he made the USA final and now is a 1:45 man. In additional action, other collegians put up some big marks. Highlights included a 19.99 200m semi (and a 20.06w win in the finals) from Curtis Mitchell, a winning 12.98w from Ronnie Ash and a 17.42m (57-2) shot put win for Oklahoma freshman Karen Shump. On The Boards: CHARLES JOCK 1:45.6 AS COLLEGE SOPHOMORE!
Boilermaker *Results And Prize Money
Both Course Records Fall At Boilermaker 19-year-old Ethiopian Lelisa Desisa (a 59:59 half guy new to the scene - he also won at Bolder Boulder and Ottawa 10k) got the men's record, and Edna Kiplagat (LA Marathon winner in 2:25) got Catherine Ndereba's women's record. Each picked up $7,000 for their wins.
LRC 2010 KBC Nacht Recap: David Rudisha Runs 1:41.51 To Become 2nd-Fastest 800 Man In History!!! The Kenyan blitzed a 1:41.51 in the Belgium on Saturday night to become the fourth under the 1:42 barrier. You can watch the race video in our recap. In mid-d and distance action, Erin Donohue PRed in the
1,500 (4:03.91) as AJ Acosta backed up his 3:53 mile with a 3:36 1,500 and beat
Lopez Lomong in the
process. Plus, Tim Nelson ran well in the 5k (13:20) as Brian Olinger struggled in the steeple and Craig Mottram ran 13:36.
*Video Of Rudisha's 1:41.51 *Rudisha's Comments After Race
Discuss: 1'41.51 !!!!!!!!!!!
*Mottram On His Comeback
Looking Ahead To Europeans/Commonwealth Games
- Mo Farah Has Euro Champs Double In Mind But Plans To Prioritize 10k Farah is fresh off a 13:05 PR in the 5,000.
- Martyn Rooney Says He'll Be Ready For Barcelona One of Britain's top hopes for Euro Champs gold, Rooney has been noticeably subpar in his last couple of outings.
- India's Poor Trampled Under Government's Feet As Delhi Prepares For Commonwealth Games The article reports a school and several shacks bulldozed to clean up slums.
First White Man Breaks 10.00 France's Christophe Lemaitre became the first white man to break 10.00 as the lanky 20-year-old ran 9.98 on Thursday. We've got to give Reuters credit for mentioning his race in their headline. *Reuters Article *LRC MB: Lemaitre 9.98 *Full Speed Race Video Here *Funny Slo-Mo Video Here
Fraser Drug Update
*Shelly-Ann Fraser's Positive Was For A Painkiller
*Asafa Powell On Teammate Fraser: "She didn't cheat."
*Asafa Powell Hopes Shelly-Ann Fraser Positive Is Not A Big Deal We too hope it's not a big deal.
*Wada Defends Jamaica's Anti-Doping Record After Shelly-Ann Fraser Test People are worried about conflicts of interest in Jamaica as well as the fact that there have been 8 positives on the small island in a year.
Lots Of Low Key Action Included Tons Of American Names
- Erin Donohue Wins In Ireland In 4:13
- Friday's Barcelona Results Chaunte Lowe defeats Blanka Vlasic as Dwain Chambers won the 100m in 10.13. Also Garrett Heath runs 3:37 and Bridget Franek 9:43.
- RRW: Rising Franek Excited To Begin Pro Career The Penn St. grad Franek is the #6 all-time US steepler.
Recommended Read: Great Article On Ron Warhurst's Vietnam Service
Just As Was Predicted A Few Days Ago On LRC
War Hero Ron Warhurst Retires After 36 Years At Michigan Ron had a great amount of success during his career and is probably known best for his engaging personality and for leading two white guys to Olympic medals in Brian Diemer (steeple bronze 1984) and Nick Willis (1,500 silver 2008). *2nd Message Board Thread On Ron's Retirement Here
LRC The Week In Review Report Cards For The Americans At Pre This week, instead of recapping the winners and losers from the week as a whole, we focus on one thing exclusively - the 2010 Pre Classic. And given the fact that we have been swept over by World Cup fever, we have gone ahead and given every single American participant in a mid-d or distance event a letter grade for their performance, much like soccer websites rate players on a 0-to-10 scale after a match. Agents, parents and pros, no whining. We're not trying to be rude, we're just trying to make the sport interesting.
News From Australia
- Ryan Gregson Blogs About Pre Classic B Mile Victory
- At Age Of 19, 1:47.0/3:40.8 Runner James Kaan On Comeback Trail He's run those times despite losing a huge chunk of time to have surgery to have his spleen removed.
News From Britain
- Mark Lewis Francis On Comeback Trail Rojo and Wejo are big fans of the sprinter and don't understand why he's not a national hero in Britain since he amazingly anchored them to 4 x 100 gold with a 10.04 PR.
- Christine Ohuruogu Pulls Out Of European Champs
Year 2 Of Rock N Roll Athletics Was Wed. Night In Glasgow *Results
Version Two Of Rock N Roll Super8 Athletics Is Deemed A Success
Click on results and guess what former world champ David Krummenacker ran for 800.
London Defeats Glasgow Despite Guest Appearance For Lolo Jones On Glasgow Team Jones actually was defeated in her hurdles race.
Pre Classic *Complete Results *LRC Prediction Contest Scores *LRC Photos *More Photos Here and Here *Videos/Recap *LRC Recap
LRC Prefontaine Recap: Wheating 3:51!!! (Wright 1:58!!!) updated
The Pre Classic was full of great performances across the board, as the meet featured an American record by David Oliver (12.90) and the first sub-13:00 on US soil, but 2010 NCAA champs Andrew Wheating and Phoebe Wright had the performances of the day at Pre from an LRC perspective. Wheating moved up throughout the Bowerman mile to get 5th in 3:51, beating all of the 2008 US Olympians in the process. Wright beat all of America's top 800 runners and skipped the 1:59s entirely as she was fourth in 1:58.22. Despite producing the first sub-13:00 on US soil, the men's 5,000 didn't live up to the hype (just as we predicted), as Chris Solinsky was well beaten in 13:08 and Matt Tegenkamp ran 13:25. Abubaker Kaki's WR attempt in the men's 1k came up short but he did get a world leader, while Nick Symmonds became #5 all-time in the US with a 2:16.35 3rd-place finish. In the "B" mile, Ryan Gregson and AJ Acosta ran 3:53 as Galen Rupp struggled with a 3:57.72. In the women's 5k, Shalane Flanagan ran 14:49.
LRC Event-By-Event Recaps With Video
Paris/Bolt News Tentative Start Lists
Golden Diamond League Is Friday
Bolt Ready For Showdown With Asafa Powell On Friday This is a former Golden League meet, so you know it is top tier. Dayron Robles vs. David Oliver in 110m hurdles. Plus, Andrew Wheating's European debut in the 800m vs. KD, Nick Symmonds and Kaki.
*Tentative Start Lists For Paris In addition to the names above, all 3 American female finalists at 1,500m from Worlds last year, plus Molly Huddle in 5k, Jeremy Wariner, Allyson Felix.
Britain's Stupid Tax Laws Cost Them Usain Bolt: He Pulls Out Of Matchup Versus Asafa Powell And Tyson Gay
Britain tries to tax endorsement income from athletes in addition to appearance fees. So Bolt could lose money while racing in London if the UK tries to tax say 1/8th of his endorsement income.
*Bolt To Get $250,000 To Run In Paris This Friday
Usain Bolt Heading To Australia In September To Party, Enjoy The Australian Women, DJ, Oversee A Race Between Footballers & See A Kangaroo Plus, he may get $1,000,000 from Gatorade regardless if he races the footballers. The dude likes to party. At Worlds last year, we left a party where Bolt was DJing and dancing with Asafa Powell with his shirt off at 3 am. Not sure if we posted this last year, but video of Bolt-Powell dancing here.
Pat Butcher: Should Saudi Arabia Be Barred From The Olympics Until They Permit Women To Compete? We think it's a good idea. Fortunately, much of the world was outraged when South Africa treated non-whites like crap 20 years ago. Somehow, however, 20 years later it's okay to treat women as second class citizens.
Diamond League #8 (Of 14) Was Saturday - Gateshead - *Results *Live Gateshead Thread *New LRC Photos *More Photos
LRC Recap Gay Over Powell, Alysia Johnson Wins 800, Manzano Nipped By Kiprop Gateshead featured
the first showdown between any of the big 3 in the sprinting world and the matchup
did not disappoint, as Tyson Gay got a come-from-behind win. In the distance races, the Americans did well. Alysia Johnson won the 800 convincingly over a 1:58.4 runner
and Leo Manzano, who last week lost to Asbel Kiprop
by over 100m, was battling with him for the win. Ben Bruce set a PR, as did Galen Rupp (13:10) and Mo Farah. And we want to remind you a Brit ran 13:00 28 years ago.
More: Rusty Tyson Gay Defeats Asafa Powell Guardian
*New LRC Photos
Looking Back At Gateshead/Heusden
- Athletics Weekly Brief Recap Of Rushida's 1:41 His unofficial splits were 49.65 at 400 and 1:14.4 at 600.
- Idowu Winning Again After Consecutive Losses The world champion is back on track for European Champs.
- Friedrich Back From Injury - Jumps 2.02m In Heusden
- British Take On Gateshead Meet WC medalists Phillips Idowu (gold) and Lisa Dobriskey (silver) came out with victories, but Charles van Commenee says the team as a whole needs to step it up for Euro Champs.
Semenya Won't Run At African Champs The controversial world champ is out of shape.
Jeter Takes Fraser's Side Olympic and world champion Fraser is under the microscope after not declaring a pain killer following a dental procedure.
Sadly, No One In The US Will Notice
2010 USATF Club Champs Gets Underway In San Francisco $10,000 is on the line. *Results
Diamond League #7 (Of 14) - Athletissima Lausanne - *Results *Lausanne Photos
LRC #1: Lausanne Recap: World Leaders All Over The Place
LRC #2: Dan Huling Impresses With Steeple PR As He Moves Up To #5 All-Time In US As Uceny Joins Top 10 In 1,500
The big news in Lausanne was the return to action for Usain Bolt in 2010 from an Achilles injury, and he ran a world-leading 9.82. Up next is a confrontation with Asafa Powell in Paris (Powell has run 9.82 unaided as well this year but also 9.71, 9.75, 9.81 wind-aided and 9.83 into the wind). However, we know the LRC faithful are most interested in the mid-d and distance action and we break down every race for you, including inspired runs by Morgan Uceny and Dan Huling, who now are both in the US top 10 all-time, as Uceny is #10 and Huling now #5.
On the men's side, the world leaders in addition to Bolt were former Olympic champ Jeremy Wariner in the 400 (44.57), world youth record holder Nicholas Kemboi, who ran 3:33 four years ago as a 16-year-old, finally going sub-3:33 (3:31.52), Olympic champ Brimin Kipruto in the steeple (8:01.62), and Ivan Ukhov in the men's high jump (2.33). On the women's side, world 5k champ Vivian Cheruiyot (8:34.58 3,000m), Ethiopian Gelete Burka (3:59.28 1,500m), and world champ Yargelia Savigne (14.99 triple jump) all had world leaders. However, we know LRC viewers are most interested in the mid-d and distance action and we break down all of the races for you and tell you Andrew Wheating fans why you should be pumped.
In American distance news, steepler Dan Huling continued his steady improvement with an 8:13.29 PR (#5 all-time US - he ran 8:14.69 last year) for 4th and former Cornellian Morgan Uceny ran a 4:02.40 PR (#10 all-time US) ahead of last year's sub-four runner Christin Wurth Thomas. The distance race of the evening may have been the men's 800, as David Rudisha won again, turning back Olympic champ Mbulaeni Mulaudzi and 2007 World champ Alfred Yego, as all 3 went 1:43. Walter Dix went sub-20 in the 200, Bershawn Jackson won the 400m hurldes, Brittney Reese won the long jump and Debbie Dunn had another sub-50 clocking in the 400.
More Brief AP Recap: Vuvuzelas come to track and field and Bolt on showdown with Powell: "It's going to be something big."
On The Boards: Dan Huling 8:13 PB!
*BOLT ...just another 9.82
*BURKA 3:59.28 .... UCENY 4:02.40 (PR)
*Lausanne 1500m KEMBOI 3:31.52 World lead!
- Usain Bolt Graces Cover Of Sports Section In USA Today Headline: "Two years after Beijing, Bolt still sparking excitement." The article is pretty good and lengthy and includes nice quotes from Ato Boldon, who says Bolt can run "Star Wars" times, and Tyson Gay, who says he can beat Bolt.
- Usain Bolt Says 2016 Will Be His Last Olympics And Hints Since He'll Be So Bored With Breaking Records At 100m/200m That He'll Look To 400 And LJ
- Interesting Read Usain Bolt Speaks To Swiss Business School - Professor Says Business World Can Learn A Lot From Bolt
- Brit Laura Turner Eyeing British 100m Record In Greece On Wednesday Nothing to get too excited about, as the record is just 11.05
- Phoebe Wright's Mother Upset Local NBC Affiliate Showed Cartoons Instead Of Pre Classic The article also says Wright has signed with Nike.
- An Interesting Brief Chat With Phoebe Wright Wright reveals she was recruited by Tennessee and had a good HS career.
- Andrew Wheating Signs With Mark Wetmore
We Agree - Go Pound A Double Shot
British Researchers: Coffee Really Does Help Performance "A small increase in performance via caffeine could mean the difference between a gold medal in the Olympics and an also-ran."
Landis Spills More Beans On Lance Armstrong
Lengthy In Depth Wall Street Journal Article On Doping Allegations Landis goes into great detail on the alleged doping, talks about the team selling Trek bikes secretly to finance doping, and parties with strippers and what appeared to be cocaine.
On The Boards: Landis on Armstrong - the gory details
USATFs In Review
LRC The Week That Was In Running: 2010 USATF Nationals We go behind the results and give you our insight. We praise Galen Rupp, Lauren Fleshman and Molly Huddle, warn Chris Solinsky, talk about the men's 1,500m and in the process compare Matt Tegenkamp to Kenenisa Bekele and do much more, including telling you why Vin loves AJ and give some junior runners props (including one who beat Robby Andrews). We even discuss cross-country running in June.
Rudisha After His 1:41.51 (Part 2 Here)
Tyson Gay Over Asafa Powell
My Run - The Real-Life Forest Gump Film
Video/Recaps Of Pre Here Or Look Below
2010 Bowerman Mile: Kiprop 3:49, Wheating 3:51 And NBC Never Mentions His Name
Training Talk #9 With Featured Guest Tim Broe Broe was the best in the US 5k ranks earlier this decade and now is starting a new pro training group.
The Best Thread On LetsRun The Last 6 Months?
If Letsrun was around in the years before The American Revolution ...What Kind of Threads Would We See? Trust us - this thread is great. If you've seen a better one, email us.
Autographed Copies Of Best Efforts For Only $14.95 An epic running book.