LetsRun.com The Week That Was In Running This week we praise Bernard Lagat, Galen Rupp and Nick Willis but give out a Thumbs Down to Jenny Barringer. Along the way, we introduce you to Adam Kszczot, give you a math lesson, tell WADA who they need to drug test, share some depressing news for Curtis Beach fans and reveal that LetsRun.com has been banned by the US military.
Inspiring Runners And Coaches
- Recommended Read: JRN Interview With Coach Ken Green Brett Larner of JapanRunningNews interviews coach Ken Green after Green's charge Jeff Hunt ran an Aussie debut marathon record 2:11:00 in the Beppu-Oita Marathon. Hunt came from the 2nd pack to attack the leaders of the race in the final 10k and according to Larner made the race very exciting. To us he sounds like the Aussie version of Brett Gotcher.
- Flotrack Interview: Indiana Redshirt Freshman Andy Bayer - How He Ran Sub-4 And 7:55 Bayer has come out on fire and got the thrill of a lifetime when he broke Bob Kennedy's school record in the indoor 3k.
- Long-Time U Maryland Track And Field Coach And AD Jim Kehoe Passes Away The tribute published in the Baltimore Sun was so inspiring we made a part of it the quote of the day.
Drugs And Injury
- Britain's Jessica Ennis Injured - Won't Compete In World Trials She has a free pass to Worlds, so we're actually hoping this is just an excuse not to complete another heptathlon.
- Jacques Rogge Asks Russia To Stop Its Drug Cheats Jacques, they're not listening.
Reebok Boston Indoor Games *Recap/Results *All Photos *Lagat Photo Gallery
LRC Bernard Lagat 13:11.50 AR, Rupp 4th 13:14 US 5,000m running is at an all-time high as Lagat won and smashed Galen Rupp's former American record of 13:18 and Rupp was well under it as well in fouth. In other action, Nick Willis
returned to pro-racing with a win in the mile, Tirunesh Dibaba ran 14:44.53
to win the women's 5,000m
exhibition race, Terrence Trammell ran a 7.49 meet record in the hurdles and Kenia Sinclair upset Anna Willard Pierce
in the women's 1,000.
10 Fastest US 5k Indoor Times Ever Before Rupp and Lagat, it had been 24 years since an American ran 13:26 or faster indoors.
LRC Reebok Photos From Pole Vault To 5,000m
More: RRW: Lagat Rocks The Reggie With American 5k Record
On The Boards:*Official Reebok Mens 5,000M Thread
*Official Will Leer Bandwagon
*Reebok Games - Men's Masters Mile - Does Anyone Care?
- Yuriy Borzakovskiy Cranks 1:16.02 National Record 600m In Moscow
- Ryan Gregson 1:47.06 Gregson is Australia's version of German Fernandez.
- Curtis Beach 1:47.9 Split! Beach is a freshman at Duke and is the high school decathlon record holder.
- Meyo Mile Results 3:58.8 for Jeff See.
- T&F News Chooses Athletes Of The Decade Shaheen in the steeple, Borzakovskiy in the 800 ...
- Blanka Vlašić High Jumps 2.06 Indoors 3rd-best performance of all time.
- Another USADA Victory - BALCO Client And World Medalist Duane Ross Suspended
Jenny Barringer Leaves Mark Wetmore
Yet again, another Buff leaves the man who helped make them incredibly successful. First Goucher, then Ritz, then Jorge, now Jenny. Who's next? The luckiest person on the planet is Barringer's new coach - Juli
Henner Benson, assistant coach at Air Force.
Barringer On The Decision To Leave Wetmore: "He's an incredible college coach. He's proved that over and over again. Coaching a post-collegiate is a different job and takes a lot of time and a lot of energy. We've decided it's best for me to find a professional's coach."
Coach Wetmore has had two books written about his program, the critically acclaimed Running with the Buffaloes and the recently released An Honorable Run.
On The Boards: Barringer Switching Coaches One of our favorite posts: "It is kind of ironic that she's leaving a college coach because it's too much work for a college coach to handle coaching Pros ... for another college coach."
*Usain Bolt And Many Jamaican Athletics Stars Auctioning Off Dates To Raise $$ For Haiti
We don't show you most of it, but the amount of news about Usain Bolt has to be about 50 times more than any other track & field athlete.
*Bolt To Start Of 2010 With 400m Run BBC
Quick Glance At High School - Want To Be A Duck? Here's Who They're Signing
- Brian Schrader, 5th at Foot Locker, 1:52 as a junior.
- Parker Stinson, 8:54 3,200 as a junior.
- Cole Watson, 1:52 as a junior.
- Colby Alexander, 1:53, FL finalist.
Track & Field News Updates List Of Every American Sub-4:00 A record 15 Americans joined the sub-4:00 club in 2008, then a record 17 in 2009. Already in 2010, we've got 4 new Americans in the club, bringing the total number to 333.
*LRC Boards: Paul McMullen the biggest 4-minute miler??
New: Episode #3 - Training Talk With Brett Gotcher & Greg McMillan
Training Talk made its first appearance of 2010 on Wednesday night and the featured guests were Brett Gotcher and his coach Greg McMillan. The show was so good we went on for an extra 30 minutes. Along the way, we talked about greats such as Arthur Lydiard, Rod Dixon, Steve Jones, Galen Rupp, Vin Lananna, Dathan Ritzenhein, Ryan Hall, and Alberto Salazar. In terms of training advice, McMillan tells you how much you need to run to be great and whether or not he thinks the Africans are beatable. Text highlights of the podcast appear at the link above or you can download here. *LRC MBoard Thread On Greg McMillan Here.
US Cross-Country Nationals/Worlds Qualifier - Saturday In Spokane, WA
- Updated Entries For Saturday's US XC Nats Men that caught our eye: Ritz, Max King, Scott Bauhs, Antonio Vega, Ryan Vail, Pat Smyth.
- Dathan Ritzenhein As Fit As Last Year Leading Up To Berlin If he's 12:56 fit, he's far and away the best runner entered in the meet.
- Shalane Flanagan "Probable"
- Trevor Dunbar Biggest Junior Name Looks like a good test approaching for Portland freshman.
- MBoard Thread: USA XC Championships In Spokane
- MBoard Thread: Is there any reason Ritz won't dominate?
Oregon TC Elite Going For US Indoor DMR Record In Seattle Nick Symmonds and Will Leer will lead the squad with NCAA champ Tyler Mulder on the 800. Texas set the record of 9:25 in '08 with Leo Manzano. 9:25 won't be an easy task even with Olympic-caliber pros.
LSU No One Wins 2007 NCAA Track Title 3 Years Later
Florida State Coch Bob Braman's Statement On Loss Of The Title The academic fraud "ring" involved students cheating on an online music course. Braman points out the track and field athlete did not need the class to stay eligible but understands that students need to understand actions can come with serious consequences.
FSU's "Tomahawk Nation" Reports Track Stripped Of 2007 NCAA Track Title As we recap in our Week That Was, we believe no one replaces Florida State as the champs. They just lose their title.
FSU Damage: FROM MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK AND FIELD:
- 2007 ACC Championship - Maintain Championship
- 2007 NCAA Regional - Maintain 1st Place
- 2007 NCAA Championship - 1ST Place To 2nd Place
*YouTube Recap Of 2007 Championship FSU
won with had Walter Dix and only 5 other athletes entered in the meet. Well, some of the people involved weren't exactly playing by the rules and thanks to a spat between the president of the school and the AD (... the most interesting part of the story), the NCAA got involved.
England's Tough Guy Challenge
<----- Let's Make Cross-Country More Like This
This looks like an amazing event and the photos are incredibly high-quality.
61-Year-Old Yoshihisa Osaka Runs 2:38 Marathon
This is no surprise, as he ran 2:34 at 59, 2:36 at 60 and now 2:38 at 61.
Who Were The American Distance Athletes Of The Year In 2009?
What Was The LetsRun.com Quote Of The Year In 2009?
We ask the most knowledgeable distance fans in the world to pick from Jenny Barringer, Shannon Rowbury, Anna Willard and Kara Goucher on the women's side and Dathan Ritzenhein, Meb Keflezighi and Bernard Lagat on the men's side. The quote of the year nominations come from the highest vote-getting quote from each month. No registration required, we want to see what you think!
Nothing Like Covering 83 Events In 1 Weekend
- Defar Going For 3,000m WR In Stuttgart Abubaker Kaki makes his season debut.
- Japanese Fans Excited For Mitsuya's Marathon Debut In Beppu-Oita Mainichi Brett Larner talks about the Japanese dissatisfaction with their marathoners.
"Racing Weight" - What Is The Healthiest Way To Reach Your Race Weight? A Taboo Subject, But We Think It's Good To Get It Out There
- NY Times' Gina Kolata On Matt Fitzgerald's Book Racing Weight She uses Dathan Ritzenhein as an example as he talks about his 12 years of trial and error with his weight.
- Click Here To Listen To Our Popular LRC Training Talk II - Rojo and Employee #1 talk with respected author Matt Fitzgerald.
- Click Here To Listen To Any LRC Training Talk We've talked to running guru John Kellogg about training, Matt Fitzgerald about his book "Racing Weight" and 2:10 debut marathoner Brett Gotcher and coach Greg McMillan of McMillan Elite in Flagstaff.
- Buy The Book Racing Weight At Amazon.com LetsRun.com viewers nearly put this book into the top 100 selling titles at Amazon.com last month.
It's Official: Barefoot Running/Minimalism Has Gone Over "The Tipping Point"
- Harvard Researchers Launch Website For Those Interested In Barefoot/Minimalist Running LetsRun.com received an email from one of the report's authors who thought our readers would be interested in their research and findings. We agree and are glad that LetsRun is being visited by Harvard Researchers.
- LRC Very Lively Thread On Mark Plaatjes' Article On Barefooting
- Brooks CEO Jim Weber Canded On Barefoot Running Perhaps the most straightforward take, we appreciate his honesty.
- LA Times Discusses Study On Barefoot Running
- WebMD On The Latest Research On Barefoot Running
Usain Bolt Coming To adidas New York City - Get Tickets Soon The one, the only, Usain Bolt announces he'll be coming in for the new Diamond League meet in Icahn Stadium (now called adidas NYC). There is unconfirmed speculation that a Bolt vs. Tyson Gay vs. Asafa Powell matchup is likely.
LRC Co-Founder Wejo Interviewed - Talks Running And LetsRun.com
Best way to get on the homepage is to let us talk about ourselves. Perhaps the best part is that the transcript refers to Rojo as Ronald.
Super Bowl Commercials (Updated)
Our widget has been updated so you can view them all again. Which was your favorite one? Click here for all the Super Bowl Commercials.