This Weekend's Elite Racing
- Nike Man Galen Rupp Opening Pro Season With A 3,000 & 800 In New Mexico Meet In Albequerque
- Ryan Hall & Deena To Run Phoenix Rock 'n' Roll Half
- Houston's Aramco Half Marathon And Chevron Marathon
* Recommended Read: Shalane Flanagan Talks Before Her Debut Half Marathon In Houston
She talks a lot about her changes in training since leaving her former coach John Cook and moving to Portland to train under Jerry Schumacher. American record-holder at 5,000 and 10,000m, Flanagan is now talking about the possibility of a marathoning career. If anyone is within 2 minutes of Shalane on Sunday, we'll be surprised.
* Good Interview With Last Year's Toast Of Houston, Kelly Jaske
Jaske, a Harvard Law graduate, came out of nowhere to nab 2nd last year at a US Championship.
* Sunday's Live Stream Of Houston Marathon - Click Here
- Linet Masai And Gebremariam Running XC Seville Sunday
The two front-runners for the IAAF XC World Championships will have their fitness tested again against solid fields.
- Mumbai Marathon Preview
Coming Up Later In The Season In New York City
- Jan 29: Millrose Games In Madison Square Garden - Classic
Awesome for US fans: Blanka Vlašić To High Jump At Millrose
Croatian Blanka Vlašić in our minds is one of the top attractions in the sport right now.
NFL Vets Tim Dwight And David Tyree Will Race Gimmick 60m At Millrose
Purists are cringing at this idea. Willie Gault is going to be in the race at age 49.
Buy Millrose Tickets Here Fans need to support this meet or the quality will suffer.
- Jan 23: Armory's New Balance Games
Good Miles With Andy Baddeley And Erin Donohue
Because We Love The Sport
LRC Exclusive Athletics Kenya Embarrasses Itself Again - Linet Masai And More Follow-Up From Zayed
You won't find these photos and stories anywhere else unless maybe you're in a secret IAAF meeting. Our suspicions were confirmed - and then some - from Linet Masai's ridiculous treatment in Zayed at the world's richest race.
*LRC Exclusive Photos Of The Best Race Nobody Saw
*LRC Recap Of Tilahun Regassa And Mary Keitany Winning $300k In Record Time One quote after the race from a manager said the HM world records would have gone down if it wasn't 80 degrees and windy.
LetsRun.com - World's 2nd-Biggest Running Website In 2009
Alexa rankings are b.s. (but okay for order of magnitude), but we thank our readers for making us the biggest independent running website in the world. Our goal has never been to be the biggest but the best.
Read About Usain Bolt's New TV Commercials For Jamaica
What do you think? We think the third idea sounds good. The first two ... we'll have to wait and see.
LRC Ricky Simms Tells LetsRun.com ESPN's Reports Of Usain Bolt Challenge Race Are Completely False
NFL record-setting RB Chris Johnson has been challenging Usain Bolt to a sprint foot race through the media. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported earlier this week that sources told him negotiations were on between the Johnson and Bolt camp. The problem is, Bolt and his management have no idea what Schefter's sources are talking about.
Larry Rawson Will No Longer Be On Track Meet Broadcasts
Most LetsRun message board posters are seeing this as a change in the right direction.
Domestic Race News
NYC Half Becomes Richest American Half Marathon For Prize Purse
And it's not just a fraction of what the big oil boys are paying. NYC's total prize purse of $200,000 is one tenth that of the recent Zayed Half Marathon's $2,000,000.
Grandma's Marathon Registration Starts Thursday
Brief Chat With Sanya Richards
For all the attention Usain Bolt gets, Richards probably deserves her due as the soon-to-be 25-y/o was the dominant track and field athlete of 2009.
- Boston Announces Rupp & Willis
- Shalane To Debut This Weekend
- Ryan Hall & Deena To Run Rock 'n Roll Half
- RR: Profile: Edinburgh Winner Joseph Ebuya
- Track Stats Guru Spiriev Dies
- LRC: Why AK Cost Masai $100k
- LRC: Zayed HM: Keitany, Regassa $300k Richer
- Justin Gatlin's Return Adds More Spice To Sprint World
Need A Coach? Gags Running One Of Few East Coast Pro Groups
Long Profile Of Coach Frank Gagliano - Looking For A Couple More Athletes
Back To The West Coast
Brief Chat With USA 800m Olympian Alice Schmidt
Edinburgh XC - Bekele's First XC Loss In 2 Years
Recommended Read The Story Of Edinburgh Winner Joseph Ebuya
Bekele (4th) Smashed By 30+ Seconds In Snowy Scotland
Through his various pre-race interviews, it was clear that Kenenisa Bekele took a long time off from training in '09 and wasn't too motivated yet in 2010. Remember 2009 where he dropped out of a mile race in Stockholm and looked vulnerable at 5,000m at some early Golden League races before crushing it at Worlds?
Week's 10 Most Interesting Stories
- LRC Athletics Kenya Bullies Runner Of The Year & Other Zayed Stories
- Awesome for US fans: Blanka Vlašić To High Jump At Millrose
- Caster Semenya Coach Shouted Down After Saying She Will Compete
- Larry Rawson Will No Longer Be On Track Meet Broadcasts
- LRC Ricky Simms Tells LetsRun.com ESPN's Reports Of Usain Bolt Challenge Race Are Completely False
- NCAA HJ Record Holder Destinee Hooker Signs Pro Volleyball Contract If Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders can do 2 pro sports, why not NCAA player of the year Hooker?
- Oly Champ Justin Gatlin's Return From 4-Year Drug Ban Adds More Spice To Sprint World
- Long Profile Of Coach Frank Gagliano
- 2/6 Boston - Galen Rupp, Nick Willis, Anna Pierce (Willard), Tirunesh Dibaba Racing
- Are Steroids An Illusion? Rational People Say "No!" Good read from our friends at Science of Sport.
Latest News From The World Of Track and Field
St. Augustine College Sprinter Barbara Pierre - Haitian National Record Holder - Worries For Her Grandmother
What an incredible tragedy in Haiti.
Unusual: Two British Shot Putters Banned After Refusing To Give Urine Test In Public Urinal
Who takes a urine sample from a public toilet? This situation needs to be explained, as it's the first ban under UK's controversial new anti-performance drug body.
Maurice Greene Endorses Lifetime Ban For First Time Drug Offenders
The above scenario makes fair rule-making difficult.
Bryan Clay Announces He's Back In Excellent Shape
"In all respect to Trey [Hardee], when I'm in this kind of shape, I really think I'm unbeatable." - Olympic champ Bryan Clay is feeling really good about his fitness coming back from a burnout year in 2009.
"If (college) sports have to match the pros dollar-for-dollar insalaries and facilities, then we'll have to find more money next year,
and the year after that, and the year after that ... Someone has to put an end to this madness."
- Coach Bill Schnier, University of Cincinnati track and field head coach, in an article from USA Today about rising subsidies from students that go to support enormous athletic budgets while teachers are laid off, classes get bigger and sports like track lose funding.
Money And Sport
Amid Funding Crisis, Subsidies For College Sports Are On The Rise
More money is coming out of tuition-payers' pockets to fund football and basketball at power conference schools while teachers and staff are getting laid off and taking pay cuts.
USOC Contemplating Seeking Federal Government Funds To Support Continuation Of US Olympic Medal Hauls
USOC has prouded itself on autonomy from federal government, taking in corporate and public donations to fund our Olympic
US Events This Sunday
Phoenix: Ryan Hall And Deena Kastor Running PF Chang's Half 2010 is a pivotal year for Deena Kastor after a subpar 2009. Kastor is targeting a comeback to top form at London 2010 while Hall is taking his 2nd crack at Boston in April.
Chevron Houston Marathon And Aramco Houston Half Marathon USA Championship Elites Announced
4 Top Houston Stories
1. Shalane Flanagan debuts at Half Marathon
2. Josh Rohatinsky and Tim Nelson (debut) return to racing at Half Marathon
3. 2:24 course record holder Teyba Erkesso in women's Marathon
4. Brett Gotcher debuts at Marathon
Track Gets A Heisman Watch
Angela Bizzarri, Lacey Cramer And Brenda Martinez Listed On "Bowerman Watch"
This is the new award from the USTFCCCA going to the top female track and field athlete each year. We just listed the distance and mid-distance runners. Bizzarri (Illinois) is an NCAA 5,000m and XC champ. Cramer (BYU) won the NCAA indoor 800m. Martinez (UC Riverside) is a mystery to MOST, but not us. She's not just one of the best milers in the NCAA but also in the USA and finished second to Susan Kuijken last year in the NCAA 1,500 before a string of European victories.
Sam Chelanga, Andy Wheating, German Fernandez And Ricky Flynn On Bowerman Watch List
Chelanga, Wheating and Fernandez are all returning NCAA champions (one of the men might win as Chelanga and Fernandez are NCAA record holders and Wheating is an Olympian). We have no idea what Lynchburg's Ricky Flynn is doing on the list.
Caster Semenya Coach Says She Will Start Competing Again
Despite no announcement of a decision from the IAAF and the lawyers of controversial runner Caster Semenya, her coach announced to the media today that she will start competing again in South African meets.
*Earlier Shock: Semenya's Lawyers Set To Sue IAAF For $120,000,000!
*Caster Semenya Lawyers Says IAAF Negotiations Are Not Complete And She May Not Compete
*Athletics South Africa Concerned With Lack Of Sponsorship Money Karma kicks in.
Science And Sport
Are Steroids An Illusion? Rational People Say "No!"
Good read from our friends at Science of Sport.
Research On Platelet Therapy Questions Effectiveness In Treating Achilles Injury
Blood platelet therapy is going to be a hot button issue in sports for the next decade.
NY Times - New Science On Winter Sports And Exercise Induced Asthma
Another reason to hate the winter.
February 6th Boston Indoor Games Announce Galen Rupp, Nick Willis, Anna Pierce (Willard), Tirunesh Dibaba
Many LetsRun readers will be excited to see Galen Rupp (5,000) and Nick Willis (mile) back in action. In 2009, Willis ran 3:53 at Boston and Rupp ran 13:18 (AR) for 5,000.
Two Great Causes
Fundraiser For Former NCAA DIII Champ Johanna Olson As She Battles A Brain Tumor Olson is tough. She won an NCAA XC title after her first bout with cancer.
Fundraiser For Jenny Crain February 4th In Wisconsin There are some great running items up for bid in a silent auction. 2.5 years after her accident, Jenny, a former Olympic hopeful hit by a car on her morning run, needs your help.