Three Awesome Reads
1) All 4 Legs On Texas A&M's 4 x 400 Recount Their Feelings Before & During Race They came through big time thanks in part to a walk-on running 45.56. Unreal. Anchor Justin Oliver's advice to his teammates: "Show some heart."
2) A Look At The 1976 HS 4 x Mile Record By South Eugene High The team was hoping to run 16:40 but ended up running 17:06 in bad weather and all alone. 33 years later, their record still stands.
3) Meet Track & Field News #1-Ranked 1,500 Guy From 2008 - Haron Keitany The guy is a real talent as he didn't even start running until 2005 when he saw some of his friends on television.
2016 Olympic Hunt: Rio Has The Buzz After IOC Meetings We're sure the athletes would probably prefer Rio over Tokyo, Chicago and Madrid. Rio is sexy.
Dumbest Article Ever: Ignoring Infrastructure & Stadium Costs, Beijing Olympics Turned A Profit So they made $80 million if you ignore the $2.8 billion they spent on infrastructure/venues. How can you ignore that?
SPAR European Team Champs This Weekend
- Christine Ohuruogu Trying To Get Faster She's well aware of the fact that Sanya Richards has run 48.70.
- Press Conference Highlights
- A Look At The European Team Championship Rules Distance runners get pulled from the track at various points in the race if they are in last place and vertical jumpers only get so many misses over the entire competition.
- SPAR European Team Championships Preview: Russians The Favorites
- Preview Of European Team Cup 1st League
- World Champ Silver Medallist Nicola Sanders Withdraws With Injury
- French, Italy & Spain To Bring Loaded Squads
- British 400m Hurdler David Greene Having Stellar Season He's gone from 49.53 to 48.62. Now he's fast enough to finish 2nd at NCAAs.
Unbelievable: 5 More Russians Tests Positive & Are Banned Is any distance runner there clean?
Catching Up With Some Of The Greatest White Runners On The Planet
*Nick Willis' Comeback Is Going Fine - Now Jogging 20 Minutes Some Days He's hoping to compete at the end of the year like in 5th Ave. Mile.
*Chris Solinsky Is Pumped For 2009 He was surprised to run 13:18 at Mt. SAC and was expecting more like a 13:20 high.
Recommended Read: Salazar Trying To Teach Goucher How To Kick Like Rupp Kara will run the 5k at USAs and the only goal is for her to learn how to close. Her lack of a close cost her in Boston.
Kenyan Coach: Jelimo's Poor Peformance Has Caused Her To Blow Her Earning Power Considering she earned more than a million last year, we doubt she is too worried.
Deena Kastor Is 1st Elite Woman To Commit To 2009 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon A big coup for Chicago to land Kastor, who wants a new personal record.
*Jacques Rogge: Economics Shouldn't Be Deciding Factor In Choice For 2016 Olymipcs
He says the athletes' interest should be #1 *Chicago Reaction: Not Good News As $$$ Are Chicago's #1 Selling Point
*IOC Cash Reserves Doing Well Desipte Global Slowdown They stand at $429 million, down from a high of $457.
*14 Diamond League Cities Announced - Berlin Doesn't Make The Cut
*Two British Meets: London & Gateshead Make Cut
Post NCAA News:
- Vin Lananna Expects Andrew Wheating To Run At USATFs Next Week, Centro Uncertain, Rupp Will Only Run 5k If Something Goes Wrong
- Jenny Barringer Plans To Stay In School Next Fall And Run NCAA Cross Both her and Rupp seem to have increased their value a ton this last year by staying in school.
- Despite Coming Up Short, Ducks Get Welcome Celebration In Eugene (Plus Video Interviews With Rupp, Wheating, More)
- Texas A&M Coach Pat Henry: NCAA Titles Were Five Years In The Making
- Dallas Morning News: Do A&M Titles In Track Make Up For Lack Of Success In Big-Name Sports?
- Oregon Editorial: Ducks' Track Performances Shows Power Of Dreaming Big
HS Nationals Are Underway *Entries *Live Results *Live Video *Updates From Dyestat Throughout Day
Good News: Tyson Gay Commits To Running 100 at USAs
Bad News: Tyson Gay Has Only Committed To Running 1 Round of 100 He might run more than 1 round if he feels good.
*Video: Gay raring to take on Bolt
20-Year- Old Russian Yelena Kofanova Runs World-Leading 1:59.09 Sadly, all we can say when a Russian woman runs well is, "Make sure you drug test her."
A Look At Next Week's Japanese Track Champs Entries and schedules are now up. Any athlete with the A or B standard that wins is automatically on the WChamps team.
Lengthy Nick Symmonds Radio Interview In Eugene, extensive track and field interviews get put on the radio. Imagine that.
Rio Emerges From Olympic Presentations With Buzz We'd rather go vacation in Rio in their winter than Chicago in our summer.
Ostrava GP Was Wednesday *Meet Website *Results *Bolt's Race Video (also on right)
*IAAF Recap: 20,000+ Cram In To Watch Usain Bolt Run 9.77 A capacity crowd got what they wanted - a big time performance from Bolt, who overcame his self-described 2nd-worst start ever to run 9.77. Please watch the race video as his last 40m was insane. It looked like everyone else was standing still. *Craig
Pickering 2nd In 10.08
*Mid-d & Distance Recap: Melkamu's Amazing Form Continues Just 3 days after her remarkable 29:53, Meselech Melkamu was in the 10k and she put on a performance that would make Steve Prefontaine smile. Pushing the pace from the gun, she traded leads with Linet Masai before getting the win in the end in a world-leading 14:34. In other action, David Rudisha got the win in the loaded men's 800, Haron Keitany ran a 3:49 mile and world record attempts at 20km and in the steeple came up short. *South Africa's Khotso Mokoena Wins 3rd Straight LJ - All Have Been 8.33m
*Pre-Race: Glen Mills Not Too Worried About Bolt's Form He just thinks Bolt didn't try very hard in Toronto.
*Reigning World Champ Veronica Campbell-Brown To Skip 100m At Worlds She is the two-time Olympic 200 champ and will focus on that.
*Liu Xiang's Coach Sets September Return Date
Pre-Race Ostrava News
*RRW Preview: Bolt Gets Headlines But Awesome Distance Races, Led By Unreal 800, Will Take Place The men's 800 is simply unreal as it has 1,500-meter stars Augstine Choge and Asbel Kiprop, as well as 800 stars Rudisha, Yego, Ismael and Lalang. In the women's 800, Jenny Barringer's #1 focus - the steeple world record holder - is racing. Plus a world record attempt in the women's 20k and Keitany in the mile and a possible world record attempt in the men's steeple by Ezekiel Kemboi.
*Bolt Ready For Sub-10
*IAAF Preivew: Usain Bolt Running 100, Dayron Robles Hurdles, Asbel Kiprop 800 And Much More In Wednesday's Ostrava Meet
*Bolt: "I'm trying to be a legend." But he admits he's not in the same shape as last year.
*Hammer Results/Press Conference Highlights - Dayron Robles Wants Another World Record
More Post-NCAA News
We Agree: NCAAs Make Hog Fans Appreciate McDonnell Even More "The track wars waged by Lananna's Oregon Ducks and Henry's Texas A&M Aggies last Wednesday through Saturday at the NCAA Men's and NCAA Women's Outdoor meet at John McDonnell Field cast new light on how awesome retired coach McDonnell's achievements truly were."
*Ducks Want NCAA Titles Next Year At Home Best bet seems to be on the women's side as they'll lose Rupp on the men's.
*Aggies Have Now Won 3 NCAA Titles Within A Month When Previously They Had 4 In History They also got men's golf.
More Weekend Track Action
Meselech Melkamu Stuns World With 29:53.80 In Netherlands #2 time ever. World record if you think the Chinese were doping.
Harry Jerome: Gary Reed's 800m Win Among Higlights Of Harry Jerome
*Harry Jerome Results
Usain Bolt's 9.77
LRC The Week That Was This week we start off with some random thoughts before getting to the 2009 NCAA champs, the start of the Golden League, and some really fast women's 10k action. Along the way, we revise the men's 10k results from NCAAs, show that the regional qualifying system works, and state that there is only one John McDonnell. We also give props to Stanford (sorry, Ryan Grote) and Galen Rupp and ponder: did Oregon really choke? Plus, we give props to Augustin Choge and wonder if he can be the next Kenyan star?