May 6, 2018
PITTSBURGH – At the 10th DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon under overcast, damp conditions on Sunday morning, debutante Sydney Devore from Lakeland, FL and Fikadu Girma Teferi of Ethiopia won the 26.2 mile race in 2 hours, 32 minutes, 39 seconds and 2:13:47, respectively. In the UPMC Health Plan Pittsburgh Half Marathon, Puerto Rican Antonio Cardona Rico and Morgan Camerlo of New Wilmington, PA took the titles in 1:08:44 and 1:22:39, respectively.
“In the City of Champions, our 10th anniversary edition with 40,000 participants throughout the weekend showcased and celebrated the best of the sport from world class runners to national champions to returning runners as well as first-time runners,” said Patrice Matamoros, P3R CEO and race director of the DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon. “We thank and applaud everybody who made this year’s event so special with all their support, enthusiasm and participation.”
In the women’s Marathon, the lead pack ran conservatively through the halfway point reached in 1:17:38 led by Askale Merachi of Ethiopia and Kenyan Susan Jerotich. Sitting back and following closely was the novice Devore who patiently waited to take the lead. At mile 20, she passed Jerotich and never looked back to record her first marathon victory in her debut, crossing the finish line in 2:32:39 and also qualifying for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials. Jerotich was runner-up in 2:34:19, a personal record and Ethiopian Sinke Biyadgilign took third in 2:35:46, also a PR.
Devore, 26, who ran an impressive negative split: 1:17:38 first half vs. 1:15:01 second half, earned $8000.
“I knew I was going to win at about 20 miles. I thought it was going to hurt way more and it wasn’t until mile 24 where it got hard. I knew that if I had a good day and ran my race plan that I could run 2:33 and with a kick go under 2:33. I had the splits on my arm and I was ready to run that today,” said Devore.
In the men’s 26.2 mile race, like the women, a large pack was together through the first half with Kenyan Dominic Cheronges hitting the halfway mark at 1:06:45. Nearing 20 miles, Kenyan Kipkoech Ruto and Teferi started to pull away from the chasing group, and by mile 22, it had become a two man race. In the final mile, Teferi, 24, who was third last year, gapped 2016 race champion Ruto and cruised to the tape in 2:13:47, five seconds up on Ruto, who recorded a personal record of 2:13:52. Kimutai Cheruiyot of Kenya placed third, clocking 2:14:57, while defending champion Jacob Chemtai finished 9th in 2:18:36.
Top American was Duquesne University graduate Jim Spisak from Providence, RI, who finished 7th overall in 2:16:48, which was also his debut marathon.
“I’m happy to come back to Pittsburgh after my third place finish last year. I knew the course and at the halfway mark I knew I could win,” said Teferi who won $8000 for his title. “I’d like to return in 2019 and attempt to go after the event record [2:10:24, John Kagwe, 1995].”
Kenneth Bestine, 51, from Clymer, NY won the men’s Marathon Handcycle Division presented by PNC Bank in 1:27:27, while Ashli Molinero, 46, of Pittsburgh, PA three-peated in 3:01:10. This year’s event featured 24 handcycle athletes, matching the event record.
For the two races, there were 4,700 Marathon and 15,000 Half Marathon entrants plus 5,250 FedEx Ground Pittsburgh Marathon Relay participants.
10th DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon
Pittsburgh, PA, Sunday, May 6, 2018
1) Fikadu Girma Teferi (ETH), 2:13:47, $8000
2) Kipkoech Ruto (KEN), 2:13:52, $6000
3) Kimutai Cheruiyot (KEN), 2:14:57, $4000
4) Birhanu Dare Kemal (ETH), 2:15:03, $2500
5) Dominic Cheronges (KEN), 2:16:16, $1500
6) Milton Rotich (KEN), 2:16:47, $1000
7) Jim Spisak (USA / RI), 2:16:48, $500
8) Nicholas Edinger (USA / PA), 2:18:32, $1000*
9) Jacob Chemtai (KEN), 2:18:36
10) Kevin Havel (USA / IL), 2:20:16
*$1000 first Pennsylvanian
MASTERS MEN (40 & older)
1) James Hommes, 47, PA, 2:42:46, $1000
2) Brett Mason, 42, PA, 2:46:10, $500
3) Michael Dwomoh, 48, PA, 2:46:49, $250
1) Sydney Devore (USA), 2:32:39, $8000
2) Susan Jerotich (KEN), 2:34:19, $6000
3) Sinke Biyadgilign (ETH), 2:35:46, $4000
4) Belaynesh Fikadu (ETH), 2:38:28, $2500
5) Bizuwork Getahun Kasaye (ETH), 2:40:59, $1500
6) Teal Burrell (USA / VA), 2:44:36, $1000
7) Clara Santucci (USA / PA), 2:47:44, $1500*
8) Devon Yanko (USA / CA), 2:51:16
9) Laura Harnish (USA / PA), 2:51:26
10) Kelsi Nutter (USA / OH), 2:51:42
*includes $1000 first Pennsylvanian bonus
MASTERS WOMEN (40 & older)
1) Justyna Wilson, 42, PA, 2:59:49, $1000
2) Tammy Slusser, 53, PA, 3:13:36, $500
3) Kelly Annapolen, 46, PA, 3:24:51, $250
10th UPMC Health Plan Pittsburgh Half Marathon
1) Antonio Cardona (PUR), 1:08:44
2) Patrick O’Brien (OH), 1:11:04
3) Max Petrosky (PA), 1:11:30
1) Morgan Camerlo (PA), 1:22:39
2) Allison Schroeder (PA), 1:23:57
3) Sarah Glenn (VA), 1:25:11
For complete results and more, go to: PittsburghMarathon.com
Organized by the Pittsburgh Three Rivers Marathon, Inc. (P3R), the 11th edition will be held May 4-5, 2019. For more information, go to: PittsburghMarathon.com
Like LetsRun.com on Facebook!