In case you are under the age of 30, here is the team's credentials.
Wisconsin's 2004 Dream Team
Finish At NCAAs/PR At The Time/Eventual PR
1. Simon Bairu - 13:45/28:28 - (Jr)
9. Matt Tegenkamp - 13:30 - (Sr) - 12:58/27:28
11. Chris Solinsky - 13:42 - (So) - 12:55/26:59
34. Tim Keller - 13:47 - (Sr) - 13:47
39. Bobby Lockhart - 8:01/29:11 - (jJ?) - 13:54/29:07
63. Josh Spiker - 3:42 - (Sr) - 3:40
74. Tim Nelson - 14:03/29:11 - (So) - 13:20/27:28
As someone under the age of 30 I have a couple of observations/questions:
-nowadays we see guys with similar PRs placing similarly to how these guys did at NCAAs. Were those 5k and 10k times more elite back then? I assume so because of the influx of rabbited races.
-the note about Spiker being a top 10 guy previously definitely changes things; just seeing his 3:42 PR, i assumed he was "just a miler" who was able to stretch it out for a solid NCAA xc finish.
-was bairu considered a favorite? his PRs at the time were very strong but maybe not win NCAA xc level.
-absolutely insane that matt withrow was also on this team
- what were the PRs of some of those colorado kids? it seems like it could have been even more of an outperformance on their part than a choke on wisco's part?