Where Your Dreams Become Reality
You are reporting the following post to the moderators for review and possible removal from the forum|
Subject: RE: Hip Dysplasia/Hip Anatomy Misdiagnosis!!!!???!!!
Hip dysplasia has an incidence of 1:100 children at birth, however 90% of these cases resolve through maturation or conservative treatment. The remaining 10% may eventually develop hip pain, early onset oseteoarthritis, laxity, subluxation/dislocation. Treatment of choice for these patients is a PAO (periactebaular osteotomy)
From a paper I wrote:
Results showed significant symptoms associated with acetabular dysplasia were insidious onset of symptoms (p<0.001); moderate to severe symptoms (p<0.001); pain located in the groin (p<0.001), anterior thigh (p<0.05), lateral hip (p<0.05), or posterior buttock (p<0.001); quality of pain described as sharp (p<0.001), aching (p<0.001), and activity related (p<0.001); mechanical symptoms of snapping/popping (p<0.001), and subluxation (p<0.05); symptoms aggravated by running, walking, standing (p<0.001); as well as symptom relief with rest (p<0.001), and narcotics (p<0.001). The results of the clinical evaluation also revealed that patients were evaluated by an average of 3.3 health care providers over the course of 41.6 months prior to establishment of the correct diagnosis. From time of onset of symptoms until diagnosis of acetabular dysplasia averaged 61.5 months (range, five months to twenty-nine years). Following surgery the mean Harris Hip scores improved from 66.4 initially to 91.7 at time of most recent follow-up (p<0.001). Radiographic results showed consistent deformity correction and improved femoral head coverage.
I can provide more info if you want, but I'm not sure I can answer your original question about how often an injnury is misdiagnosed as hip dysplasia- more often it seems hip problems are labeled something else for a long time before dysplasia is discovered.
Hit the submit button below if you want us to review the post. If you feel this is urgent or want a reply, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org about the post and please include a link to the thread the post is on and what page number/post on that page it is