Comments, questions, suggestions, story you'd
like to submit? Email us
You are reporting the following post to the moderators for review and possible removal from the forum
Subject: RE: I'm in Kenya
I have about 2 minutes to type. I spilled a coke on my computer and it doesn't seem to work so updating may be difficult although they have a great media room here.
1) It is hot. It is humid. My apologies to malmo. It's not even noon.
2) The course is not a golf course like you and I think. The grass reminds me of a beat up soccer field. And then a lot of it reminds me of a rat maze. A lot of turns within a small area. But then they'll send runners right through a sand trap with a steep incline.
3) If Bekele wins with 1) and 2), he could probably race up Mt. Kilimanjaro and beat everyone. The conditions here are different than any of his 10 wins. If people don't beat him here on the Kenyan home turf, will it ever happen?
4) Security seems great. Got a police escort to my hotel last night and a police escort to the course today. I guess the protest was off and even today we were talking about how if people wanted to block the streets they could but the Kenyan police don't deal with due process. One of the guys in a caravan yesterday saw the police stop and beat the crap out of a guy in a car who didn't get off to the side fast enough or did something wrong. Supposedly the president has given orders of "shoot to kill". At least that's what I heard.
5) Everyone is super friendly.
6) I ran into a guy I lived with in Flagstaff at the airport. Of course I left him stranded in the Nairobi airport after they said he couldn't get on the flight the plane was full. I was sent on to tell his girlfriend he'd make it here today. Chris, I hope you made it.
7) And then on my flight I look to my left and sitting across the aisle is Todd Klein, the head running marketing guy at Reebok. He flew in Thursday and is leaving Saturday. Pretty impressive.
Hit the submit button below if you want us to review the post.
If you feel this is urgent or want a reply, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org about the post and please include a link to the thread the post is on and what page number/post on that page it is