By entering these forums you agree to our Rules
click on the logo to return to our homepage

[ Return to Index ] [ Original Message ]
Return to original message | Register a login name
Original Message
Author: Renato Canova
Subject: RE: Rest of the Boston Elite Field Announced - Mosop, Geb Geb, Cheruiyot, Wesley Korir

I don't want to go inside a preview, also because I'm personally interested with some athletes.

But I ask you : why do you continue to speak about Dubai as "short race" ?

I was there last year, and I had several athletes running their PB. I followed the race within a car of the organisation, and I had the splits for every km : everything was perfect.

In all my life, I never found a marathon with so perfect conditions : weather very dry, no wind, temperature of 12 at the start and 12 at the end, perfect tarmac, no turns. Under technical point of view, better than Berlin and Eindhoven, that in my opinion are the fastest courses in the World.

I give you some detail :

Yemane Adhane (winners in Rotterdam, with a very strong wind, on 15.04 with 2:04:48) in Dubai ran 2:06:29

Dawitt Shami (7th in Dubai in 2:05:42) on 29.04 won in Hamburg, course more hard, in 2:05:58 after running between 30 and 40 km in 28:57

Deressa Chimsa (8th in Dubai together Shami in 2:05:42) later won Prague (13.05) in 2:06:25, won silver medal in WHMCh and, 3 weeks later, was 2nd in Frankfurt (very close Makau) in 2:06:52 on 28.10

Aberu Kebede (5th in Dubai with her PB of 2:20:33) later won Berlin (30.09) improving again to 2:20:30

Atsede Baysa (8th in Dubai in 2:23:13) won Chicago on 7.10 in 2:22:03.

Since several of these athletes use my programs (Shami, Chimsa and Aberu Kebede), and I know very well their real shape in Dubai and later, I explain again that the conditions, absolutely perfect, gave an advantage of about 1:30 compared with the conditions of the past, when humidity became very high during the last 40' of the race, and there was wind against during the last 7-8 km (one year a lot of rain with Haile trying the WR, who had to slow down a lot at the end).

Weather conditions have an influence on the performances very much higher than the course. And always you must know the specific data for every marathon, before jumping at wrong conclusions.

Return to index | Register a login name
No title

To combat message board spam (by non runners). We are making people answer a brief question before they can post on a thread that is over 20 days old.
If you answer this question you should be able to post.

Which of the following is not an American runner?
Dathan Ritzenhein
Billy Mills 
Meb Keflezighi
Alan Webb
Jim Ryun
Frank Shorter
Maurice Greene
Haile Gebrselassie
Bill Rodgers