[ Return to Index ] [ Original Message ]
Return to original message | Register a login name
Original Message
Author: Fluffy
Subject: RE: Discussion: Track & Field News' 2012 World 1,500 Rankings: Kiplagat #1, Makhloufi #4, Centro #5, Manzano #9

rojo wrote:

T&FN is blind wrote:
Kiprop is far superior to Kiplagat and everyone else on that list.

T&FN is blind and Fluffy,

You guys both say Kiprop is way better than Kiplagat. Maybe talent wise but not results wise in 2012.

I'm a huge Kiprop fan but have you don the research?

On the year, head to head. Kiprop 1 win. Kiplagat 4.

Kiplagat beat Kiprop at the Kenyan Trials and Olympics and actually never lost to him all year at 1,500 - only at the mile. I think you'd have to put him at #1 over Kiprop as a result.

Kiprop Kiplagat
1500 m    Diamond Doha 2012-05-11  3:29.78 (2) 3:29.63 (1)
Mile    Pre Eugene OR 2012-06-02  3:49.40 (1) 3:53.73 (13)
1500 m    OT Nairobi 2012-06-23  3:38.3hA (3) 3:37.6hA (1)
1500 m    OG London 2012-08-07  3:43.83 (12) 3:36.19 (7)
1500 m    VD Bruxelles 2012-09-07  3:32.88 (5) 3:31.98 (1)

After the Olympics, Kiprop didn't race and Kiplagat won in Rieti, Brussels and Lausanne.

This isn't a popularity test or a talent test. it's a reward for someone's entire body of work for 2012. As a result, I think ranking Kiplagat over Kiprop is justified.

I think the Manzano vs. Centro debate is similar. Clearly, in my mind, Centro is the man. What a racer and talent. If only he hadn't gotten hurt.

But if you are Manzano backer, you are likely scratching your head as Manzano beat him at both the Olympics and Olympic Trials. I wonder when they do their US rankings if they put Manzano #1, Centro #2.

1. Kiprop is just better. Kiplagat tripped Kiprop in Doha. Kiprop clearly would have won that without the stumble. Kiprop destroyed Kiplagat at Pre in the mile, and ran the first clean 3:28 in years. Kiprop was clearly better pre-injury.

2. Manzano beat Centro all 3 times they raced (Indoor US Champs, Olympic Trials, and Olympics). There's just no way you could argue Centro had a better year.

3. Even if you think Kiplagat should be ranked higher than Kiprop, he didn't medal at all in both Championships he was in. With that fact, you can't justify putting Kiplagat as #1.

Return to index | Register a login name
No title

To combat message board spam (by non runners). We are making people answer a brief question before they can post on a thread that is over 20 days old.
If you answer this question you should be able to post.

Which of the following is not an American runner?
Dathan Ritzenhein
Billy Mills 
Meb Keflezighi
Alan Webb
Jim Ryun
Frank Shorter
Maurice Greene
Haile Gebrselassie
Bill Rodgers