By entering these forums you agree to our Rules
click on the logo to return to our homepage

[ Return to Index ] [ Original Message ]
Return to original message | Register a login name
Original Message
Author: LetsRun.com
Subject: Chicago Sun Times Columnist: Favor Hamilton isn't alone - lots of female distance runners are total nut jobs as well!!

The Chicago Sun-Time Rick Telander has written a column on SFH entiteld:

Suzy Favor Hamilton not alone, it seems, in going off track

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/17142109-452/suzy-favor-hamilton-not-alone-it-seems-in-going-off-track.html

In it, he basically says - Hamilton isn't that unusual in female distance running circles. Many of the other women are total nut jobs as well.

I'll give you two quotes. One from the beggining of the article:

Telander wrote:

Back when I met her, Favor stood 5-3 and weighed 105 pounds. She was pretty and courteous, but there was a glint of ferocity in her eyes, of suppressed danger.

I saw the look in many of the Wisconsin middle-distance and long-distance female runners. In my book, I made special note of them, of their lapses into near insanity, of their successes and crashes and eating disorders and dependence on their controlling German head coach, Peter Tegen.

and one from the end which is really even more damning:

Telander wrote:
How crazy were the UW runners? One told me how, because of anorexia and bulimia, she had not had her period in nine years. One ran until her bones started breaking. Stephanie Herbst, a national champion, won an NCAA 10,000-meter title race in Bloomington, Ind., in which another obsessed young woman, a dean’s-list pre-med student from North Carolina State who had set a U.S. collegiate record six weeks earlier, ran off the track in mid-race, climbed a seven-foot fence, sprinted down a city road and then flung herself off a 35-foot high bridge. The runner survived but was paralyzed for life.

The thing is, Herbst didn’t even notice. Or much care. Indeed, as she told reporters later, the attempted suicide was ‘‘a typical situation’’ and ‘‘not really so unusual.’’ Herbst, who stood 5-7, weighed 95 pounds. The girl who tried to kill herself wasn’t much different: 5-8, 108 pounds.

This is not to say all female distance runners have eating disorders or other serious issues. But many members of that Wisconsin team did. And maybe it has taken them a lifetime to work things out.

Your thoughts?

Full article here:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/17142109-452/suzy-favor-hamilton-not-alone-it-seems-in-going-off-track.html

Return to index | Register a login name
No title

To combat message board spam (by non runners). We are making people answer a brief question before they can post on a thread that is over 20 days old.
If you answer this question you should be able to post.

Which of the following is not an American runner?
Dathan Ritzenhein
Billy Mills 
Meb Keflezighi
Alan Webb
Jim Ryun
Frank Shorter
Maurice Greene
Haile Gebrselassie
Bill Rodgers