By entering these forums you agree to our Rules
click on the logo to return to our homepage

[ Return to Index ] [ Original Message ]
Return to original message | Register a login name
Original Message
Author: rojo
Subject: RE: So an undefeated collegiate woman who won an Olympic silver medal isn't the NCAA track AOY - a non Olympian is?

QTPi wrote:

to those saying duncan was the right choice:
what would a high jumper have to do to win the award?
i don't think it's right to give such a strong preference to athletes who compete in a variety of similar events...

That's what I was thinking at first but then I thought this is supposed to like the Heisman - and they have that same type of biases/intrigue.

A defensive player has never won the Heisman. I don't think a lineman has either.

It's hard for a lot of track fans to admit but all events aren't created equally. The 100/200 sprint - those are the QBs of our sport.

Acknowledging the differences in the events is one of the reason Letsrun is actually successful. So many track purists basically treat all events equally.

I thik the bigger question is, "Should post-collegiate competition be considered?"

That's a real tough one. I see why they don't do it as this is a collegiate award. But since track is known on most college campuses as one of the "Olympic sports" it's also easy to justify.

On a lot of campuses, this sport is funded to get theem Sears points or whatever it's called now and then generate some good publicity either with some conference/NCAA wins,sub 4 miles or Olympic births.

Return to index | Register a login name
No title

To combat message board spam (by non runners). We are making people answer a brief question before they can post on a thread that is over 20 days old.
If you answer this question you should be able to post.

Which of the following is not an American runner?
Dathan Ritzenhein
Billy Mills 
Meb Keflezighi
Alan Webb
Jim Ryun
Frank Shorter
Maurice Greene
Haile Gebrselassie
Bill Rodgers