By entering these forums you agree to our Rules
click on the logo to return to our homepage

[ Return to Index ] [ Original Message ]
Return to original message | Register a login name
Original Message
Author: Groundskeeper Willie
Subject: RE: Anyone ever made a comeback after something serious?

the cancer guy wrote:

I was diagnosed with cancer last year and have undergone a lot of chemo and a major surgery since then. I want to try to start to make a come back but my body just isn't quite what it was...in many ways. Has anyone had a serious set back like this and at least gotten back into it? I'm an old 15 flat 5k guy and if I "ran" three miles at 90% max heart rate right now I might break 45 minutes. And, that would nearly destroy me. I hardly feel like there's any point in my mid-30's to try and get back under 30 or 25 or 20 for 5k. I know it sounds insane to even my old self to call 15 minute pace running. But, I wish I could just go out and run. Forget racing and "training". I'd be happy for a jog. Just trying to see if I should officially black list letsrun on my router and pray I never see a jogger again.

Question? Where are you being treated? If not at a major cancer center, then get to one if you can. Second opinion!! You have to be your own advocate for your quality of life. Find a doc who will work with you on getting you back on your feet. A "regular" oncologist at some city hospital may not have the experience. If you get to a cancer hospital, they will be more interested in incorporating alternative therapies, which in your case may be getting in a few easy runs a week.

Return to index | Register a login name
No title

To combat message board spam (by non runners). We are making people answer a brief question before they can post on a thread that is over 20 days old.
If you answer this question you should be able to post.

Which of the following is not an American runner?
Dathan Ritzenhein
Billy Mills 
Meb Keflezighi
Alan Webb
Jim Ryun
Frank Shorter
Maurice Greene
Haile Gebrselassie
Bill Rodgers