Roidster
Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/11/2005 9:20PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
OK....I know the responses are going to be a real mixed bag on this topic....but what the hell.....

On a serious note, more than half the world's population will develop hemorrhoids mainly after the age of 30. I've read that runners get them more than any other sport.

I think I got mine not only from the constant running but from the straining to crap before each race in high school.

In any case I have never done anything about them butt, am considering going to a doctor. What have others done?....any advice on successful medication?

Thanks

Roidster
Yolanda Spears
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/11/2005 9:27PM - in reply to Roidster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are you sure they are hemorrhoids and not warts?
Nathann
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/11/2005 9:27PM - in reply to Roidster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Roidster wrote:
In any case I have never done anything about them butt, am considering going to a doctor. Roidster

ahahaha you said "butt" instead of "but"

you're punny.
Image: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/2000/Apr/11/image2/11islandlife_b.jpg

bum
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/11/2005 9:36PM - in reply to Roidster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
yes i get hems, yes they hurt. some days i cannot run. you need to use tucks, and take a shvitz or whatever its called - basically sit in a warm tub. and yes, you also probably got it from pushing a loaf, that or lifting weights
Yolanda Spears
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/11/2005 9:44PM - in reply to bum Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You get hernias from lifting weights, not hemmoroids.
had hem
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/11/2005 10:51PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Had em for 10+ years.

I agree pre race shits and running in general are causes but I think diet contributes.

I got rid of them by doing the following:
1) lots of fibre, I eat at least on fibre serving with every meal.
2) a couple of aspirin per day.
3) Never wipe with TP. Use Tucks or some of the baby wipes that are out there.
George Martin
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/12/2005 1:43PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've never had them and will hopefully stay 'roid free in the future.

SuPerVic
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/13/2005 6:47AM - in reply to George Martin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
to the guy with hems. the doctor diagnosed me with hemroids a while ago, he told me to eat alot of fiber which is vegetables and fruits. sitting too much also cuase hems. i asked them if running cuases hemroids. he said "yes running dehydrates your body and therefore constipates you". i suggest you drink alot of water and buy anul suppositories over the counter that treat hemroids. you put those into your anal once a day. take warm showers too and keep ur area clean.
anal
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/13/2005 7:14AM - in reply to Roidster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Strange, I've found quite the opposite. I used to have problems with piles before I became a runner...I bled at least a little after each crap. But now, the more I run, the less problems I have!

I get the trots on at least half my runs and my BMs are "squishy" rather than "hard". I find running keeps me regular. If I go a few days without running, I seem to get constipated and it gets progressively worse until I revert back to my sedentery days.

In my case...running mitigates hemorrhoids!!!

TMI, I know but you asked ;)
SuPerVic
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/13/2005 7:23AM - in reply to anal Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
running wont hurt you unless you drink alot of water. if you dont drink water, you will get constipated
festering red oozing bum
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/13/2005 7:30AM - in reply to SuPerVic Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
eat more fiber - hems say a lot about your diet

dont sit on the can too long - if your dump takes more than 45 seconds that indicates a digestive problem....do not have magazines in the bathroom. If you have to clinch your teeth to push a loaf then you have a problem. You're better off walking around with a big stool up in you then forcing a canned hammed size rock out of your shoot.

drink more water - duh, you're a runner

if you frequently have roids then get off the TP. Use those premoistened flushable wipes. If you feel a roid coming on you need to use Tucks.

take a sitz bath - there are products (more than Prep-H) that help the swollen vessels in your bum but I haven't found the one that works. Sit in the tub and bring your knees to your chin. Let the roids just soak in the warm water.

Last time I got had a colonic I got a hem. If you feel anything weird in your bum (a serious ass pounding is your own fault) then you need to start with the remedys. This is a wierd thing to talk about openly but I've only had 4 or 5 hems in 10 years (first one around 30) but I cant think of anything more uncomfortable to deal with. I thought I was the only one that got them but it appears that isn't so. Those who laugh havent had them....yet
yupity
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/14/2005 5:22AM - in reply to Roidster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Have them on occasion. Didn't start until age 30, and only happen when I'm running 50+ MPW. Mine are very mild...at most use a little prep H.
Medulla Obla-dee-obla-da
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 1/14/2005 7:46AM - in reply to Roidster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Roidster wrote:
On a serious note, more than half the world's population will develop hemorrhoids mainly after the age of 30. I've read that runners get them more than any other sport.

This is one of most common strategies of the internet message boards. Say "I've read that..." and readers will blindly assume the statement is true.

Roidster, exactly where did you read this?
sc runner
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 3/6/2008 10:31AM - in reply to Roidster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have had my first case already and I'm only 20. Hemmorhoids can be quite painful, but it usually only hurts me when sitting or standing for long periods of time.
as seen on tv
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 3/6/2008 10:58AM - in reply to sc runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've had some bad hemorrhoids over the years. I get them when I'm really increasing my mileage but the last few seems to get them when I start lifting lower body (squats and weighted lunges). Sometimes they are a minor pain but sometimes I can barely go to work....no way can I run. Tucks and those moist wipes are a must...even when you don't have them. I find sitting in a warm tub help as much as anything.

Several years ago I had bad 'roids and for some reason they just stopped hurting in the middle of the day. I didn't realize until later that the 'roid that was giving me all my pain had popped because the butt of my blue jeans were covered in blood. It felt too good for me to be embarrassed.
Riders
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 3/6/2008 11:29AM - in reply to as seen on tv Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have had hemorrhoids for over 30 years. Early last year I had a colonoscopy and the Doctor said I had internal hemorrhoids so I decided to have them taken care of. The surgeon rubberbanded them (July 9th) but that didn't help my problem as much as I had hoped. So, Sept 4, the surgeon removed a skin tag which I hoped would cure me but that didn't work either. So, Dec 4th I had a hemorroidectomy and now would you believe I still have hemorrhoids!! I don't really want to go through another surgery as it hurts like hell afterwards. I have been able to run and I always felt it helped. I think it helped keep my bowels loose and maybe the endorphins helped too. Now I am battling a skin cancer removal seroma (fluid retention) and haven't run for a week. Hopefully the Doctor will drain it tomorrow. Hemorrhoids are no fun and I have tried about everything through the years including becoming a Vegetarian, thinking a diet of mostly fiber would cure me.
Another Roidster
RE: Running & Hemorrhoids....Do you have them....... YET?? 9/16/2009 2:35PM - in reply to Roidster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had been running for approx. 18 years, average no more than 10 miles per week, w/o any problems but wasn't until just after I trained and completed my first marathon (along with regular gym workouts) did I get them 'roids of the internal type. A lot of blood in the stool, tried over the counter stuff but no luck on a remedy. Finally went to the doc, after a colonoscopy he recommended a treatment called IRC (Infrared Coagulation Technology). Went through one session, didn't get it all, still bleeding, have to go back for follow-up but may take a few more times. Oh, they say there's no pain...BS, didn't work like that for me. Almost put the doc through the wall. Good luck.