Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Robin and the 7 Hoods
Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 10:27AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The fall marathon season. A wonderful time of year, except that here in the frosty, or soon to be frosty, north, snow will be falling and Santa will be callin on the good little boys and girls.

With marathon season upon us, assuming I have never run a marathon, but happened to be an "unofficial runner" at a local marathon and I started at the start and crossed the finish line with the "official runners" - can I say I have run a marathon? Can I say I completed a marathon? Asuming that is the only marathon I have "done."

Your input would be welcomed.
seniorito
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 10:36AM - in reply to Robin and the 7 Hoods Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, you'll have run it, but you'll never have proof because your name won't be in the results.
Made Marian
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 10:38AM - in reply to Robin and the 7 Hoods Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Robin - you always were an arsehole (English spelling) and a typical thieving outlaw. Taking from events and contributing nothing. A bandit is a scumbag.

End of discussion.
Robin and the 7 Hoods
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 10:53AM - in reply to Made Marian Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Made Marian wrote:

Robin - you always were an arsehole
End of discussion.

But am I an "arsehole" that can tell people he has done a marathon?
hmmm
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 10:59AM - in reply to Robin and the 7 Hoods Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No one can stop you from doing whatever you want. Or are you asking for our permission? Is that it?

In that case: No. You may not say you completed a marathon.

Glad to be of help.
Made Marian
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 11:03AM - in reply to Robin and the 7 Hoods Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Robin - my experiences with you proved that you were a "sprinter" rather than a marathon man.

Maid Marian - You never "Made Marian" and you haven't done a marathon.
other hmmm....
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 11:09AM - in reply to Made Marian Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears, does it make a sound?

If a runner runs 26.2 miles and it isn't in a race, has he run a marathon?

If you want to run a marathon enter. Anyone can do a long training run.
Chocolate
Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 11:10AM - in reply to Robin and the 7 Hoods Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Everyone will always have their doubts about whether or not you actually ran it if they can't find your name in the results.

Bandits are losers, and losers are bandits. Pay the fee and run it.
CrossFan
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 11:17AM - in reply to Robin and the 7 Hoods Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Question: If you are dishonest enough to bandit a marathon, then why would you care if it is truthful to tell people you ran one or not???

If you are worried about being "legit", then run 26.2 miles on your own (even do it on the referred to race course not on race day), which is truthful, and tell anyone you want to that you did, which is truthful.

Otherwise, stay home and don't run it (saving the race organizers the headache of dealing with you) and tell anyone you want to you did. That's no less honest than banditting, is it?
scotth
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 11:17AM - in reply to Robin and the 7 Hoods Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
To add a little spice to this query...let's say you bandit a race and net a PR. Is it really a PR?
Bum
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 11:20AM - in reply to scotth Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A marathon is a RACE. If you can't win or place, then you aren't racing. If you aren't entered, you can't win or place. No, you haven't done a marathon. You have run 26.2 miles.
sam w
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 11:22AM - in reply to Bum Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Bum wrote:

A marathon is a RACE.

fwiw, i am not sure in common talk that a marathon is a "race," its a distance that can be walked. another thing to blame galloway and the guin for.
love it
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 11:24AM - in reply to other hmmm.... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So what's your best race hotshot? Too slow for me I bet.
Bum
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 11:31AM - in reply to sam w Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think you're right, and that's a big problem right now. Not only aren't marathons "races" for most, I was at a 5k the other day and for over half the field it wasn't a race either. Just a chance to show up, run and be social.

I don't think there is anything wrong with simply "running" 5 kilometers or 26.2 kilometers with friends, even under the guise of a race. However, if you are not competing (either with yourself or against others) and doing your best, how can you call it racing? A marathon is a race of 26.2 miles.

Here it is in a nutshell:

If I showed up at the Brickyard one afternoon with my pickup truck, and drove 500 miles by myself with no one on the track, could I say I did the Indy 500? Of course not. The Indy 500 is a race. I simply drove 500 miles in Indy. Same with running 26.2 if you aren't entered and/or aren't racing.
Dr. Chewbacca
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 11:45AM - in reply to Bum Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Actually, a marathon is a distance, so probably yes, you just can't really prove it if somebody starts goating you about not seeing your name in the results.

For example, anybody say they have run a mile before. In practice, in time trials, or in a real race. It's just harder to have proof for the first two cases.
your conscience
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 11:46AM - in reply to Robin and the 7 Hoods Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Robin and the 7 Hoods wrote:

But am I an "arsehole" that can tell people he has done a marathon?

So let's see here, you don't care about stealing from a road race or what other runners think of you for doing it, yet you want to make sure that those same people will acknowledge and respect your act of theft as a legitimate race. I think you have a bit of a conflict in your morals. Stealing is ok with you, but lying is not. Strange.

I say you're no worse than Regina Jacobs for saying she's a legitimate champion. You're no better, either.

Truthfully, Robin, you suck, but most importantly , you are an arsehole. You have not done a marathon.
Spizzot
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 11:57AM - in reply to scotth Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
good question, include enroute pr's, like if you run a fast 10k during a half. I think you have to be able to prove (with an official clocked time) you have run a marathon or a race of any distance.
sam w
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 12:03PM - in reply to Spizzot Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i think the question is much more basic, it is just, "has a marathon been run?"

the issue of can you "prove it" is a diff matter.
scotth
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 12:17PM - in reply to sam w Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yep, you're right sam w. My spicy question doesn't have to be restricted to marathons, however. If you bandit a race at any distance and net a PR, is it really a PR?
sam w
RE: Have I run a Marathon if I Bandited it? 9/27/2004 12:20PM - in reply to scotth Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

scotth wrote:

Yep, you're right sam w. My spicy question doesn't have to be restricted to marathons, however. If you bandit a race at any distance and net a PR, is it really a PR?

i think that all depends on if being a bandit racer counts as doing the race, if yes, then you get your pr.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |