Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Old 'n Slow
1964 Boston Marathon video 4/13/2014 12:01PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Came across this gem on Youtube. Very cool for Boston Marathon fans. Pay attention to the Reverend's "training methods." Definitely been missing from my routine. Also video of Jock Semple at his best. No wonder Katherine Switzer was afraid of him. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69nWnL2mxbs
Milosh
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/13/2014 12:40PM - in reply to Old 'n Slow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That was fantastic. Thank you for sharing.
Orville Atkins
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/13/2014 12:54PM - in reply to Old 'n Slow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thank You. That was funny, a neat video. I ran Boston in 1964. I had a poor race. Canadians came 3rd, 6th, 9th, 10th and 12th that year. The first United States Citizen was Hal Higdon in 5th place. Eric Segal was 63rd.
T-Rex
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/13/2014 1:10PM - in reply to Orville Atkins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Arriving at Hopkington HS, looks like a typical Bob Reid Harrier no whining day.
T-Rex
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/13/2014 1:30PM - in reply to Old 'n Slow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Old 'n Slow wrote:

Came across this gem on Youtube. Very cool for Boston Marathon fans. Pay attention to the Reverend's "training methods." Definitely been missing from my routine. Also video of Jock Semple at his best. No wonder Katherine Switzer was afraid of him. Enjoy

Wonder who that dude was who was hassling Jock when the runners were getting on the bus?
#ocl
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/13/2014 1:44PM - in reply to Old 'n Slow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That Harvard kid that runs 2:32 is worth Billions... he is of the Hewlett-Packard family.
#ocl
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/13/2014 1:45PM - in reply to #ocl Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Which begs to question: FASTEST BILLIONAIRE ever??
1967 uploaded today
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/13/2014 1:54PM - in reply to #ocl Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
check this out too, interesting how they shroud them with blankets at the end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS-YKs1uWsE
Greybeard
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/13/2014 2:41PM - in reply to #ocl Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Higdon #13, Ted Corbitt #19 (just ahead of the Hewlett kid at one point).

Never ran Boston but always heard about it, and the goal of sub-3:00, which I got in my first one with a 2:53, age 18, 1975. The running boom was picking up steam by then...
Tony Soprano
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/13/2014 2:44PM - in reply to Greybeard Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wrote this, though it's about 1974, not 1964, but thought you might want to check it out.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/116378/forty-years-after-boston-marathon-triumph-cusack-recalls-irish-etsu-pride
Old 'n Slow
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/13/2014 3:51PM - in reply to Orville Atkins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was thinking of you (and looking for you) Orville !
T&F Analyst
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/13/2014 4:08PM - in reply to Old 'n Slow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Old 'n Slow wrote:

That's really great. I was expecting an old 8mm film, but this was done in high production.
Orville Atkins
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/14/2014 12:14PM - in reply to Old 'n Slow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was there in 1967 too!
Middle Distance Analyst
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/14/2014 2:34PM - in reply to Old 'n Slow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Vandendriessche looked really smooth. Also won the previous year in 2:18. I'm old enough to remember..... unfortunately.
Zuma
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/14/2014 3:32PM - in reply to Old 'n Slow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Interesting video, thanks.
lane 8
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/14/2014 6:03PM - in reply to Orville Atkins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Orville Atkins wrote:
The first United States Citizen was Hal Higdon in 5th place.

This was fantastic.
There was only a brief shot of Hal early in the race. I looked for more footage of him but didn't see any.
lane 8
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/14/2014 6:06PM - in reply to Old 'n Slow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Old 'n Slow wrote:
Also video of Jock Semple at his best.

He was quite a character. He was our '72 Olympic Tour so got to know him a little bit.
madskilz
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/14/2014 6:46PM - in reply to Old 'n Slow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Awesome
Orville Atkins
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/14/2014 8:25PM - in reply to madskilz Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes! "Awesome" There are so many memories.
In 1964, I stood near the top of the seats in the gym before the race. Eric Segal was down on the floor getting ready for the race. I was having trouble getting the reporters to leave me alone. I told them there was a whole contingent from Toronto that would finish way ahead of me.
They proved me right with Ron Wallingford leading the way with his third place Canadian Record of 2:20:51. It was neat to see him in that video
I knew Jock Semple a little too. I remember yelling at him that he should have known better as he got into the elevator after the 1971 race. I was unhappy with the high number he had assigned me.
In those days Jock and a few others did all of the work to keep the race going. He took a lot of abuse and could not tolerate those who tried to enter the race but were not qualified to finish a marathon. Before 1951 Jock ran the race many times placing in the top 10 at least 3 times. His times were in the mid 2;40s a number of times.
Johnnydajogger
RE: 1964 Boston Marathon video 4/14/2014 8:55PM - in reply to Orville Atkins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ran Boston for the first time in 1965 and knew a lot of the runners in this 1964 video. Notice a friend of mine exiting a gas station at about 16:10 on the video. There were no Porta Johns in those days so we had to look for a friendly gas station rest room or else make other arrangements. I don't remember much in the way of aid stations either. Unlike a lot of races however, the Boston route was closed to traffic. Most road races were not so you always had to keep an eye out for traffic. The following year 1965, there were an astonishing 525 entrants which caused widespread amazement at the huge field.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |