Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 |
Mark Hadley
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 8:56AM - in reply to short sightedness Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hi Fellow Runners,

I want to say I appreciate the good intentions and advice of most of the posters here on this thread. While its obvious we all don't agree on the best course of action for Alana, I do believe most posting here wish her the best and want to see her continue to develop her potential in the sport. For that Alana, her mom and I thank you.

To clear up a few bits of mis-information: Alana has accepted about $2900 so far in 2013 in prize money, bonuses, etc. at races, all of which went to Alana's bank account savings for college. Alana never made any big announcement about turning pro. I just simply answered David Monti when he e-mailed me about if Alana had accepted the $1400 in prize/bonus money at Monumental Marathon, so that he could correctly note it in this weeks issue of RRW. He then tweeted my response which set off this thread.

Earlier this year, Alana decided, after much discussion with her Mom and I, that she did not wish to compete in college XC and Track, but rather pursue road racing and her goals of one day being a successful professional marathoner.

Several things weighed heavily in her decision including: the extensive racing schedule in college running (Alana has only raced 8-10 per year for the last 5-6 yrs), the shorter distance focus (especially for women), the necessity to choose a college based academics and team/coach consideration rather than just academic, and her passion for the longer races and dis-interest in the shorter races she is as not well suited for. Collegiate athletics is not something you should get into without a passion for the what you will be doing, and racing 1500m to 5k/6k dozens of times for 9+ months of the year just isn't something Alana is passionate about even if she could do it well.

With that decision being made, there was no reason for her not to accept any money she earned at races and put it away to pay for her college education.

Alana is very academically gifted (with high test scores) and plans to pay for her college education through a combination of academic scholarships, social merit scholarships, earnings she makes from running, help from Mom and Dad, and whatever loans or outside work she needs to do to pay the remainder. What the exact mix is of those things will be determined over the next couple of years.

She and we have no delusions of grandeur. We know what place a 2:41 marathoner, even a 16 yr old one, has in the running world. But her last race was a very positive step in the right directions for her as she put together a very good full training cycle and ran a great race race with a very solid time. Obviously she needs to continue to improve to reach her other goals and to help pay for her schooling and one day make a living at it. Hopefully as she continues forward she will continue to improve and have more opportunities for success, sponsorship and bigger paydays. But those earned on the race course, not given to anyone and she and we know that.

Alana is a very driven and determined young lady. She had her eyes set on a trials standard this fall and she prepared herself and executed on it. Her next goal is to continue to work down her marathon time over the next couple of years so that she is at least highly competitive in the trials race.

In her 10 yrs of running Alana has never had a major injury and has grown and gone through puberty with no delay. She has no health issues at all and is a happy, healthy and mature young lady. She eats a lot and a good variety of foods. I know many of you have worried about these things but I can assure you not to the level her mother and I have watched this to make sure it is not an issue. We have learned from the mistakes of those that came before us. We are not endangering Alana's health in any way and not allowing her to either and her physicians agree.

To those who question how she is going to improve in the future if she is already doing 100+ miles a week, Renato Canova (when we talked at a conference not long ago) suggested I answer you with 1 word - adding in more "quality" to that 100+ mile week.

I know many disagree with this course of action and I know it is not the standard path. But she is very happy and content with it and so are her mother and I. Some may call is risky, or "the all-time stupidiest thing I ever heard of" (Thanks for your support Rojo), and that is fine for you to have your opinion. I only ask that you remember that you are talking about a young lady with a great passion for our sport who is doing her best to pursue it and spread that passion for it. And Her mother and I are doing our best to be good parents and support and guide her in those efforts. We are not monsters with ulterior motives, but rather runners and parents with a passion for our kids and this sport.

Thanks and happy running,

Mark Hadley
agip
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 9:14AM - in reply to Mark Hadley Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thanks Mark - seems that everyone who actually knows your family says Alana is growing up really well - congrats for that (and for her running success)

can be tough slogging I suppose when you all are the only people doing something.
fred
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 9:42AM - in reply to agip Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A 16 year old Kenyan girl running 100 mile weeks at 6,000
feet. Well that's just part of the cultural and genetic
heritage.

Thanks for posting Mark.
truthsayer
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 9:59AM - in reply to fred Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Props to Dadley on laying it out here. If only Kip Litton would do the same.
Local
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 10:51AM - in reply to Scandinavian Fellow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Scandinavian Fellow wrote:

agip wrote:

this response doesn't address the money.

To me much of this is a dollars and cents decision. It's nice to say 'follow your dreams' and all...but when the price of a 16 year old dream's starts running into the hundreds of thousands of dollars...you have to get realistic. Money is actually important to our lives, no matter how much we resent that sometimes.

If the dollar decision were, say, 5 or 10 thousand, then fine, go run marathons as a teenager. But these amounts are far larger.

1. Do we know she need the money? Is she planning on going to an expensive school? Will she pay FULL tuition? Does her family have enough saved and simply doesn't care? Will she go state and end up paying a far smaller sum than what people are predicting in here?

To me it seems like the money issue is just wild speculation.

It's not wild speculation. There are people on this thread that are in the know... The ones who are skeptical
Keith Stone
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 11:06AM - in reply to Mark Hadley Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Mark Hadley wrote:
She and we have no delusions of grandeur. We know what place a 2:41 marathoner, even a 16 yr old one, has in the running world.
Hi Mark, I met your daughter after the Salem Lake race in Winston-Salem. Nice gal, and clearly you are doing a pretty good job in the parenting department.

Alana's time was comparable to Blake Russell's on the same course and we know how Blake turned out. Grandeur may not be so delusional, particularly for a young lady with goals and the determination to reach them.

Good luck to you and your daughter.
ray
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 11:19AM - in reply to Keith Stone Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the explanation Mark. As I've said many times, participating in NCAA cross and track and field is not the be all experience that many on here claim it is. There are many negatives and for some they far out weigh the positives. Good for you anf your daughter for helping her to follow her dream.
ttc
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 11:35AM - in reply to Mark Hadley Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the post & best of luck to your family.

Have to say though, a 16 yo's decision is hardly assured of being permanent. I hope she gets her scholarships & awards. But, my siblings had 3.9 & 3.7 GPA's with good extracurriculars. They got almost nothing. 2 of my roommates were about the same. They got a small %. If it matters, these ppl are CPA's, DBA Admin & Actuary now- so nothing lacking substance. Honestly, if she's not a minority, scholarships will be tough (politically incorrect, but 100% true).
mahmood
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 11:58AM - in reply to Mark Hadley Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This should help most posters here rest easily about this girl's future. It's clear that Mr. Hadley is seeing all sides of the issue and has helped support Alana in making her decision, rather than pushing her in one direction.

Best of luck to you and the Hadley family!

Mark Hadley wrote:

Hi Fellow Runners,

I want to say I appreciate the good intentions and advice of most of the posters here on this thread. While its obvious we all don't agree on the best course of action for Alana, I do believe most posting here wish her the best and want to see her continue to develop her potential in the sport. For that Alana, her mom and I thank you.

To clear up a few bits of mis-information: Alana has accepted about $2900 so far in 2013 in prize money, bonuses, etc. at races, all of which went to Alana's bank account savings for college. Alana never made any big announcement about turning pro. I just simply answered David Monti when he e-mailed me about if Alana had accepted the $1400 in prize/bonus money at Monumental Marathon, so that he could correctly note it in this weeks issue of RRW. He then tweeted my response which set off this thread.

Earlier this year, Alana decided, after much discussion with her Mom and I, that she did not wish to compete in college XC and Track, but rather pursue road racing and her goals of one day being a successful professional marathoner.

Several things weighed heavily in her decision including: the extensive racing schedule in college running (Alana has only raced 8-10 per year for the last 5-6 yrs), the shorter distance focus (especially for women), the necessity to choose a college based academics and team/coach consideration rather than just academic, and her passion for the longer races and dis-interest in the shorter races she is as not well suited for. Collegiate athletics is not something you should get into without a passion for the what you will be doing, and racing 1500m to 5k/6k dozens of times for 9+ months of the year just isn't something Alana is passionate about even if she could do it well.

With that decision being made, there was no reason for her not to accept any money she earned at races and put it away to pay for her college education.

Alana is very academically gifted (with high test scores) and plans to pay for her college education through a combination of academic scholarships, social merit scholarships, earnings she makes from running, help from Mom and Dad, and whatever loans or outside work she needs to do to pay the remainder. What the exact mix is of those things will be determined over the next couple of years.

She and we have no delusions of grandeur. We know what place a 2:41 marathoner, even a 16 yr old one, has in the running world. But her last race was a very positive step in the right directions for her as she put together a very good full training cycle and ran a great race race with a very solid time. Obviously she needs to continue to improve to reach her other goals and to help pay for her schooling and one day make a living at it. Hopefully as she continues forward she will continue to improve and have more opportunities for success, sponsorship and bigger paydays. But those earned on the race course, not given to anyone and she and we know that.

Alana is a very driven and determined young lady. She had her eyes set on a trials standard this fall and she prepared herself and executed on it. Her next goal is to continue to work down her marathon time over the next couple of years so that she is at least highly competitive in the trials race.

In her 10 yrs of running Alana has never had a major injury and has grown and gone through puberty with no delay. She has no health issues at all and is a happy, healthy and mature young lady. She eats a lot and a good variety of foods. I know many of you have worried about these things but I can assure you not to the level her mother and I have watched this to make sure it is not an issue. We have learned from the mistakes of those that came before us. We are not endangering Alana's health in any way and not allowing her to either and her physicians agree.

To those who question how she is going to improve in the future if she is already doing 100+ miles a week, Renato Canova (when we talked at a conference not long ago) suggested I answer you with 1 word - adding in more "quality" to that 100+ mile week.

I know many disagree with this course of action and I know it is not the standard path. But she is very happy and content with it and so are her mother and I. Some may call is risky, or "the all-time stupidiest thing I ever heard of" (Thanks for your support Rojo), and that is fine for you to have your opinion. I only ask that you remember that you are talking about a young lady with a great passion for our sport who is doing her best to pursue it and spread that passion for it. And Her mother and I are doing our best to be good parents and support and guide her in those efforts. We are not monsters with ulterior motives, but rather runners and parents with a passion for our kids and this sport.

Thanks and happy running,

Mark Hadley
Gaoist
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 12:15PM - in reply to ttc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
At least TRY to escape your ideology Rojo. Profit is not a necessity to success, but the two are analogous to you. I am done with this web site. I read it all the way through college but attacking a 16 year old who is qualified for the trials is just a disgrace to running. I ran through college earning All-American awards and trained through grad school for the marathon. I am not qualified for the trials nor do I suspect that I will be as I am caught up in the joys of my job even though it was supposed to be my "back up plan," as some posters have called it.

This young girl has already achieved something rare.

It is time to speak in economic terms that you might be able to understand Rojo: For every ignorant comment you potentially lose a long-term poster like me. When a teacher and a coach stops frequenting a website, his web of students and athletes will probably do the same. I know this is only fractions of pennies to you but at least I put my money where my mouth is.

P.S. The amount of traffic on a website is not analogous to success either.

One more thing: Advocacy is not the same as reporting (if that's what you call your slanderous efforts on the drug problems of our sport). If you want to do something about it, DO something about it. In other words, get a job you bum.

Go Ms. Hadley!
off the mark
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 12:27PM - in reply to fred Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

fred wrote:

A 16 year old Kenyan girl running 100 mile weeks at 6,000
feet. Well that's just part of the cultural and genetic
heritage.

Thanks for posting Mark.

16 year old Kenyan girls are in boarding school, not "training" while their bodies are developing.
ttc
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 12:38PM - in reply to Gaoist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I agree Rojo shouldn't verbally scold the girl for the decision- but IMO, the parents prob deserve some. (Am guessing despite wording, that's who Rojo was addressing).

That said, I agree with him. The option for an athletic scholarship (realistically a partial one, given the low amt) is still to great to shut out for a small amt of prize $$.

And if $$ isn't the criteria for success, why keep it at the possible expense of being unable to afford college- save dreaded school loans? And see my prev post re: academic scholarships. Not to mention, NO ONE changes their mind like a teenage girl.
dkny64
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 12:53PM - in reply to Mark Hadley Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for taking the time to compose such thoughtful comments. Hope all continues to go well.
Father Time
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 2:48PM - in reply to Mark Hadley Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I hope the young lady is successful in whatever she endeavors to do in life.

No matter how much discussion was had regarding her participating in intercollegiate sports in the future, I think the parents removing the choice for the girl at this early stage was pretty stupid.
statfool
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 3:13PM - in reply to Father Time Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Great post, Mark Hadley.
Thanks for sharing the background on this decision.
It sounds well thought out.
sparky polastry
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 3:56PM - in reply to agip Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

agip wrote:
yeah...teenagers shouldn't try to do extraordinary things. they should all just strive to be normal.

seriously tho - as a parent facing college tuition...really? $400 instead of a college scholarship? Jeepers...that's a lot of money they are walking away from in exchange for a few years of team running.

I can almost guarantee that you (and virtually everyone else in this thread) have walked away from a lot of money in your life by refusing to pursue a higher paying career that offered challenges and a lifestyle that did not appeal to you. Jeepers, what did you do that for?
Mickey T..
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 4:03PM - in reply to Mark Hadley Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As well thought out as Mr. Hadley's post is, I still struggle with the idea of a 16 year old cranking out 100+ mile weeks. I hope her times improve dramatically very soon because I doubt her competitive career will be very long. There's a reason most of the world's best treat the marathon as the final, not first, act of their competitive careers. Having said that, I wish her the best. I'd love to see her in the lead at the New York marathon instead of a dozen Africans and Europeans.
agip
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 4:05PM - in reply to sparky polastry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

sparky polastry wrote:

agip wrote:
yeah...teenagers shouldn't try to do extraordinary things. they should all just strive to be normal.

seriously tho - as a parent facing college tuition...really? $400 instead of a college scholarship? Jeepers...that's a lot of money they are walking away from in exchange for a few years of team running.

I can almost guarantee that you (and virtually everyone else in this thread) have walked away from a lot of money in your life by refusing to pursue a higher paying career that offered challenges and a lifestyle that did not appeal to you. Jeepers, what did you do that for?

__
yes...but for other people these decisions were not made at age 16. I don't think many parents task their kids with making hundred thousand dollar decisions as high school juniors.

or even trust their kids to make hundred thousand dollar decisions at that age.

$100,000 now is $12 million in 50 years. less inflation.
agip
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 4:08PM - in reply to Mickey T.. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Mickey T.. wrote:

As well thought out as Mr. Hadley's post is, I still struggle with the idea of a 16 year old cranking out 100+ mile weeks. I hope her times improve dramatically very soon because I doubt her competitive career will be very long. There's a reason most of the world's best treat the marathon as the final, not first, act of their competitive careers. Having said that, I wish her the best. I'd love to see her in the lead at the New York marathon instead of a dozen Africans and Europeans.

I have no problem with the running. 100 miles per week takes what - 75 minutes a day? That's not crazy. I don't even care if she burns out or brings forward all her improvement to age 18. Kids need to take things and run with them.

I have no problem with the running - I have a teenage son and would have no problem with him running 100 mpw.

but...I would have a major problem with him in effect 'spending' $100,000+ to run marathons instead of NCAA tho. that would really hurt.
Hardloper
RE: 16 year old alana hadley turns professional 11/7/2013 4:18PM - in reply to agip Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

agip wrote:

[I don't think many parents task their kids with making hundred thousand dollar decisions as high school juniors.

or even trust their kids to make hundred thousand dollar decisions at that age.

What do you mean? Every kid I know chose where they want to go to college. I might have "saved" $50,000 going to the local community college ("6 million" in 50 years!) but I sure didn't WANT to do that.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 |