Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Another Kip
Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 3:10PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Mods, please do not delete. This deserves a reasonable discussion.

I recently received a forwarded email from someone on the "ultralist" that claims that Dean Karnazes didn't start from the starting line, but hopped onto the course from his hotel a few miles in.

I have not seen proof of the above, but the following is concrete:

Dean originally won his age group with a 3:30 and accepted the trophy for winning, but has since been removed from the results.

The official results of the Kauai Marathon are listed here:
http://results.bazumedia.com/event/results/event/event-5322 (No Dean listed).

Old, non-updated results are listed at Athlinks with Dean shown in 16th here:
http://athlinks.com/time.aspx?eventid=244588&courseid=343412 (as of 2013/Sept/9, Dean is listed as 3:30:40).

The explanation in the email is that Dean started from his hotel, jumped into the race a few miles in, and accepted his award, only to later be outed and removed from the results, but keeping the trophy. Here's the original picture from the awards ceremony, showing Dean acknowledging his age group placement and accepting his award:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2843/9720540050_ae92761ca6_b.jpg

According to an article by the 3rd place finisher in his age group, Dean claimed to be 6 minutes late for the start, while passing him at a faster pace partway through the race:
http://thegardenisland.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/running-s-man-of-steel/article_af25cbb4-152e-11e3-b8e9-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

If that were true, why was he removed from the results?

I have emailed the RD for clarification and will post his reply when I hear back.
EPOpian
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 3:19PM - in reply to Another Kip Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dude, Dean looks totally jacked, almost like he's on roids or something. Maybe he is doing cross-fit. That would explain is over bloated ego and his vain desire to cheat.
Old Man Runner
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 3:32PM - in reply to EPOpian Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This isn't the first time he's been accused of cheating...

http://tokenrunningblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/badwater-2013-spirit-walker.html#comment-form

Go down to the comments and you will see Dean's comments and the author's reply. When I first read the blog it mentioned the author seeing Dean stake out and get in the crew van only to be ahead of the author a mile later when the author passed Dean. (Please note this is just what I read. I wasn't there so I have no idea if any of this is true)
ttyffty
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 3:34PM - in reply to Another Kip Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dean rockin' a 3:30! Well, 3:30 minus a few miles.
034 runner
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 3:38PM - in reply to EPOpian Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

EPOpian wrote:

Dude, Dean looks totally jacked, almost like he's on roids or something. Maybe he is doing cross-fit. That would explain is over bloated ego and his vain desire to cheat.

Zing!!!
joho
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 3:45PM - in reply to ttyffty Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would be 'slightly' impressed if he actually ran 3:30 on that course. It is generally warm and the course has some climb to it.
have heard about this
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 4:52PM - in reply to Old Man Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Old Man Runner wrote:

http://tokenrunningblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/badwater-2013-spirit-walker.html#comment-form

Go down to the comments and you will see Dean's comments and the author's reply. When I first read the blog it mentioned the author seeing Dean stake out and get in the crew van only to be ahead of the author a mile later when the author passed Dean. (Please note this is just what I read. I wasn't there so I have no idea if any of this is true)

I wasn't there, but I know the guy that wrote this. I trust his word on it and he's apparently gotten pretty badly burnt for reporting this.
genuine random a hole
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 5:23PM - in reply to Another Kip Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Another Kip wrote:

I recently received a forwarded email from someone on the "ultralist" that claims that Dean Karnazes didn't start from the starting line, but hopped onto the course from his hotel a few miles in.

The explanation in the email is that Dean started from his hotel, jumped into the race a few miles in, and accepted his award, only to later be outed and removed from the results, but keeping the trophy.

What is this e-mail you refer to and what is an "ultralist"? Anything you are at liberty to share?
backkick
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 6:24PM - in reply to genuine random a hole Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is the link to what is known as "the ultralist."

http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A0=ultra

I am no longer a subscriber but I was on the list for a number of years. I can say from that experience that controversy and hard feelings expressed on the list about DK go back quite a number of years (at least as far back as the Antarctic Marathon fiasco of 2002).
MinkeyFooFoo
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 7:00PM - in reply to backkick Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Spreading unsubstantiated rumors is the act of a dull mind. Unless you have proof, then stop slandering DK.
Bangladesh
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 7:22PM - in reply to MinkeyFooFoo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

MinkeyFooFoo wrote:

Spreading unsubstantiated rumors is the act of a dull mind. Unless you have proof, then stop slandering DK.

Hi Dean.
redux
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 8:53PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are those runners? Is that what people see when they see us? I might have figured out why we hate each other so much.
It is possible
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 9:32PM - in reply to Another Kip Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Cut the guy some slack. He and Dane were up late and overslept in the hotel room. When they awoke in their spooning position Dean didn't have time to get to the start line of his own race(I think he was a sponsor), panicked and jumped in to make an appearance for all of his adoring fans. Just business.
know a bunch of them...
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 9:40PM - in reply to It is possible Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
DK = just like many other weirdo North Face posers. Famous for being famous.
Karma OK
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 9:49PM - in reply to know a bunch of them... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
why would the guy accept an award if he knows he started late?
Earth Being
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 10:06PM - in reply to know a bunch of them... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

know a bunch of them... wrote:

DK = just like many other weirdo North Face posers. Famous for being famous.

the dude wrote a best-selling book, Ultramarathon Man--a damn good book---that's what made him famous. On top of that, he won Badwater and the Four Deserts. But it's the book and the running stunts that made him a name. THe book wasn't written by another writer, like Jurek's and so many athletes, Karno wrote it. Writing a book and getting it published isn't easy, especially one on ultra-running. But the book made the best-seller list. Again, no easy feat.
TheGarbageDisposal
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/10/2013 11:06PM - in reply to have heard about this Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

have heard about this wrote:

Old Man Runner wrote:

I wasn't there, but I know the guy that wrote this. I trust his word on it and he's apparently gotten pretty badly burnt for reporting this.

+1 for this post. I would take Dave's word on this any day as well.
So Cal Lo Cal
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/11/2013 12:01AM - in reply to TheGarbageDisposal Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As would I. He's a good egg and he runs in good circles. there's more than a few (like as in dozens) of people just in this area alone that would vouch for him as well. Karnazas, not so much.
R U Serious???
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/11/2013 1:31AM - in reply to MinkeyFooFoo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

MinkeyFooFoo wrote:

The fact that he was removed from the results after accepting his award is "unsubstantiated"?
theohiostate
RE: Dean Karnazes, ambassador for Kauai Marathon, removed from the results, possibly cut the course 9/11/2013 9:34AM - in reply to R U Serious??? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would never trust anything posted on ultra list about Dean Karnazes. Whenever his name comes up, most respond like a bunch of clucking hens.

He's won Badwater in the past, and he's finished 10 times. No need to cheat.

Can't speak about Kauai, but I'll bet there's a plausible explanation.

Let's move on to Diana Nyad...
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |