Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Tough Luck
Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 9:39AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In his running log, Donn Cabral mentions he is "not really over this Lyme yet." He seemed very evasive when talking about his problems last spring. I guess this explains it. I figured he either must have something serious or made a huge training error. After his 3:56 and 44:20 25k the latter seemed unlikely. Tough luck for a rising star.
Kipketer_Pumpkin_Eater
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 9:48AM - in reply to Tough Luck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Greatly unfortunate and I had no idea. Been following him (broadly speaking) since his High School days. Seems like a great fellow. I won't make any assumption or conclusion about how that occurred, but I am always mindful to avoid the tall grass to avoid Ticks. Haha, partly to thanks to Brad Paisley's 2006 or 2007 hit "Ticks."
sanchobaile
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 9:51AM - in reply to Tough Luck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
also joining NJ/NY TC, to be coached by Gags..
Ginger Snap
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 9:52AM - in reply to Tough Luck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He is from Connecticut, Ground Zero for Lyme disease
Reaswert
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 11:38AM - in reply to sanchobaile Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

sanchobaile wrote:

Is this true?
Has Gags ever coached a steepler close to that good?
Reaswert
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 11:46AM - in reply to Reaswert Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why doesn't He go to Jerry, Rowland's, or Salazar?
Flo'da boy
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 11:46AM - in reply to Tough Luck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Didn't Ben True also deal with Lyme prior to the Olympic Trials. He's also a Northeast guy. Ticks are bad up there
TrackCoach
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 12:03PM - in reply to Flo'da boy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The good things is, you can still continue to train and even compete, but like mono, until it is competely out of your system, you are going to feel sluggist. 100% recovery from memory takes about 6 months. I coached an athlete who got Lyme Disease and they lost a full season and wasn't 100% until half way into the next.
C/M Runner
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 12:21PM - in reply to Reaswert Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Reaswert wrote:

sanchobaile wrote:

Is this true?

Yes - Donn made the announcement on facebook this morning.
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 12:24PM - in reply to Tough Luck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Tough Luck wrote:

After his 3:56 and 44:20 25k the latter seemed unlikely.

Wow, those times are fast. Especially that 25k
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 12:27PM - in reply to TrackCoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know woman who got Lyme Disease 10 years ago and hasn't been able to work since.
can really vary
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 12:28PM - in reply to TrackCoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

TrackCoach wrote:

The good things is, you can still continue to train and even compete, but like mono, until it is competely out of your system, you are going to feel sluggist. 100% recovery from memory takes about 6 months. I coached an athlete who got Lyme Disease and they lost a full season and wasn't 100% until half way into the next.

The recovery period varies depending on the individual. Up to 25% of people who get Lyme Disease continue to battle symptoms for years.
TrackCoach
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 1:31PM - in reply to can really vary Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

can really vary wrote:

TrackCoach wrote:

The recovery period varies depending on the individual. Up to 25% of people who get Lyme Disease continue to battle symptoms for years.

From what I understand, the treatment has gotten much better over the last coule of years from reading about a couple of NCAA athletes. If caught early and you start taking antibiotics, it can literaly be a coule of weeks deal to not be sick and a couple of months to fully get your strenght back. But, as you said, I have also heard of peolpe back in the day battleing Lyme for years, but i think that is when spread into the bones. The problem with Lyme is the initial sysmpton is just fatigue and you forget you got bit by a tick weeks and months ago.
Ho Hum
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 1:37PM - in reply to Reaswert Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Reaswert wrote:

sanchobaile wrote:

Is this true?

Ashley Higginson's also in NYNYTC.
Further answering
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 2:41PM - in reply to Ho Hum Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Ho Hum wrote:

Reaswert wrote:

sanchobaile wrote:

Is this true?

Ashley Higginson's also in NYNYTC.

Also Delilah DeCrescinzo.
3000m SC guru
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 3:44PM - in reply to Further answering Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Higginson
Delilah
Mahoney

plus he has Tom Nohilly (twice finished 4th at the Trials) on staff as an assistant coach.
Montesquieu
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 4:34PM - in reply to TrackCoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My sister had it about twenty years ago and her symptoms lasted for over a decade. Finally, she just got better. This explains his season.

TrackCoach wrote:

can really vary wrote:

TrackCoach wrote:

From what I understand, the treatment has gotten much better over the last coule of years from reading about a couple of NCAA athletes. If caught early and you start taking antibiotics, it can literaly be a coule of weeks deal to not be sick and a couple of months to fully get your strenght back. But, as you said, I have also heard of peolpe back in the day battleing Lyme for years, but i think that is when spread into the bones. The problem with Lyme is the initial sysmpton is just fatigue and you forget you got bit by a tick weeks and months ago.
agip
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 5:06PM - in reply to Montesquieu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
now if Robby Andrews would go to NYNJTC that would be something great
Gags is great, but
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 7:46PM - in reply to Further answering Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Delilah done with steeple.

Mahoney may never break 8:30.

No distance guys there at all.
malmo
RE: Cabral Has Lyme Disease 8/21/2013 8:03PM - in reply to * Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

* wrote:

I know woman who got Lyme Disease 10 years ago and hasn't been able to work since.

Yup.Lyme disease can be serious and long lasting. It affects the brain and treatment can also cause side effects. Not a good thing to hear about.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |