Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
Vipam
Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 12:47PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Jeremey Wariner is an American and the medal goes to him and counts for the American's total in the medal count not just the white Americans. I don't want to hear that its unusually that a white guy wins the 400m, yes that may be true but why is it important? The fact that he is an American who brought home gold is more important than his race, it seems that NUMEROUS of you would be less impressed if Otis Harris or Derrick Brew won the gold? It seems to me that many of you are displaying borderline racisit view points in my opinion!!!

VIPAM
kmh
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 12:54PM - in reply to Vipam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you're right: it's not. It's a big deal that someone not of west-african descent won a sprints gold medal. If he were japanese or kenyan it would be just as intriguing as winning while "white."

I assume that he is not of west-african descent, in saying this, of course. Do we know this for certain?
redmeansdead
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 12:54PM - in reply to Vipam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It is common knowledge that white guys typically don't excel in the sprints. So it is, of course, of interest to most track fans that a white american wins gold in the 400. How is it racism? It's uncommon so people are surprised, that's all. If a white guy broke the 100m record, people (including yourself) would be shocked. However, I was more surprised at the fact that Jeremy is so young rather than the fact that he is white.
hot bitch
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 12:57PM - in reply to Vipam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
We make distinctions based on race in the USA. The 1st Asin-American . . . , the 1st African-American . . . , whatever. It's been a long time since an Anglo-American has won a sprint title so we just have to make a big deal about it. It's silly (maybe even stupid in this day and age), but we like to label people in this country, and skin color makes for an easy label.
to the max
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 1:00PM - in reply to Vipam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Lets see. If a non black runner can;
a. win gold in the mens 400m
b. win gold in the womens 100m
c. win gold in the womens marathon
d. win bronze in the womens marathon

Maybe ethinicity has nothing to do with success at sprinting or distance running.
suddenstop
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 1:01PM - in reply to Vipam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Nonsense.

If a white anglo won a medal in table tennis, journalist would report the distinction.

Up and coming white boxers are appropriately named 'great white hope' without any accusation of racism, because there are no up and coming white boxers.

The Jamaican Bobsled team was, by all accounts, made up of black guys.

If it's not the norm; it's news and valid to note.
chikinki
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 1:05PM - in reply to Vipam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
People need to get over this idea that it's being racist to make a big deal of a white guy excelling in something like the 400m. It's just a point of interest, in exactly the same way as it would be if a 7ft tall guy won - it's not discriminating against him, it's just noting that it's not the norm.

It's a story, that is a fact, and if you're gonna take the moral high ground and not pretend the fact that Wariner's white adds a little bit of interest to the 400m, then that's fine. But it's so blindingly obvious that it's unusual, so people are gonna talk about it - they're not being racist at all.

Wariner ran a great race tonight by the way, it's good to see the event moving on again after a few down years. Congrats to Otis Harris too, if I were told beforehand he'd run 44.16 (?) I'd have been pretty certain that would take gold
Apple Cider Vinegar
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 1:17PM - in reply to chikinki Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It is a big deal just like it was a big deal for Maritza Correia to be the 1st black US swimmer to compete in the Olympics even though it was only a relay spot. It encourages youngsters to pursue their dreams regardless of their race....
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 1:22PM - in reply to Apple Cider Vinegar Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Apple Cider Vinegar wrote:

It encourages youngsters to pursue their dreams regardless of their race....

No, IGNORING race encourages people to do things regardless, not "in spite of", race. Which would you rather aspire to be: A fast white man or a fast man who happens to be white?
Apple Cider Vinegar
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 1:25PM - in reply to 9 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ignoring race is dillusional.
Oh Brother
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 1:27PM - in reply to Apple Cider Vinegar Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
We should acknowledge and embrace race and diversity, not ignore it. It is impossible to ignore race.
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 1:29PM - in reply to Apple Cider Vinegar Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Apple Cider Vinegar wrote:

Ignoring race is dillusional.

no, its not; be a bit more open minded. "double edged sword": if you are celebrating that a WHITE guy won a 'sprint', then i could look it at the other way, you being happy BLACK guys lost.
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 1:31PM - in reply to Oh Brother Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Oh Brother wrote:

We should acknowledge and embrace race and diversity, not ignore it. It is impossible to ignore race.

Right, i'm not saying ignore race altogether, but dont celebrate things just due to race...especially caucasian male americans as a base for celebration? silly no matter what the arena or context.
Common sense
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 1:35PM - in reply to to the max Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
White medal winners in women's Olympic marathon:
1984 - Samuelson, Waitz (NOR) and Mota (POR)
1988 - Rosa Mota (Portugal) silver to Lisa Martin (Aus)
1992 - Yegorova (CIS) and Moller (NZE) (bronze)
1996 - Yegorova (silver)
2000 - Simon (ROM) (silver)

Ok, so now we've got all of your bases covered.
Oh Brother
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 1:42PM - in reply to Common sense Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
We're talking about US sprints. What does female distance runners have anything to do with anything?
dk46
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 1:53PM - in reply to Oh Brother Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Oh Brother wrote:

We're talking about US sprints. What does female distance runners have anything to do with anything?

agreed.

further, i don't think the original poster is racist by any means. it is an "arguable" fact that black athletes have a stronger propensity towards sprints (i.e. are faster over shorter distances)... i think there have been studies, but i'm not prepared to quote any. looking at it in that light, it is surprising that a thin little white guy beat a couple of ripped black guys (and yes, size has also historically been deciding factor in whether or not one is a good sprinter) over 400m. so if i'd have phrased my shock by saying a thin guy one the 400m, would you call me prejudiced towards the muscularly-ripped-challenged (p.c. for thin)? if not, you're admitting that it's the unusual nature of a particular type of body (white and thin) winning that race that has most of us amazed, and not our rampant racism.
Common sense
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 2:02PM - in reply to Oh Brother Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Obviously you didn't pay attention to the message I was replying to in my post. The initial message said that if a white woman can get either a gold or bronze in the marathon, as well as a white man getting gold in the 400 and a white woman getting gold in the 100, then maybe we can say that race is not a factor in sprints. In response I posted the results of past Olympic marathons and said, ok, so we've covered all the bases. According to the initial post, once all those results had been achieved then we could maybe argue that race isn't a factor.
dk46
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 2:05PM - in reply to Common sense Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Common sense wrote:

Obviously you didn't pay attention to the message I was replying to in my post. The initial message said that if a white woman can get either a gold or bronze in the marathon, as well as a white man getting gold in the 400 and a white woman getting gold in the 100, then maybe we can say that race is not a factor in sprints. In response I posted the results of past Olympic marathons and said, ok, so we've covered all the bases. According to the initial post, once all those results had been achieved then we could maybe argue that race isn't a factor.

but it doesn't necessarily go both ways. you're beggin the question with your statement. you first have to prove you're assumption of reciprocity holds before you make that argument.
Common sense
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 2:24PM - in reply to dk46 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ok, now you're not reading the posts. I didn't start this thread.
BigTex
RE: Why is it A BIG DEAL the Jeremy Wariner is white? 8/23/2004 2:44PM - in reply to Vipam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I bet it wouldn't go unnoticed if a black man were to become President of the US. You can't honestly tell me that no one would mention the color of his skin. Get over your "political correctness". He's white and people notice. There is nothing wrong with that!
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |