Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Simple Runner
We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:06PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Brilliant! "Let's see if we can run down the 10K champ w/ 3:28 1500 speed. Maybe it will work this time."

After the first 2k I was rooting for Mo. No one had the audacity to try something new.

John Ngugi where have you gone?
EPOpian
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:09PM - in reply to Simple Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
good point. The Kenyan/Ethiopian attempts were a joke.
Bad Wigins
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:10PM - in reply to Simple Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
absolutely disgusting. 5000 should be retired as a track event, it's done.
napalm
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:11PM - in reply to EPOpian Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The European and American attempts to beat Mo were a lot better.
gaber
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:16PM - in reply to Simple Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Everyone was saving it for Zurich.
Simple Runner
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:17PM - in reply to EPOpian Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Exactly. Surging for 400m and then slowing back down so that no one behind has to change their pace is strategically stupid. Brendan Foster was right in pointing out that unless you're gonna string a few of those together, it's pointless.

It's not that I wanted to see Mo lose. I just wanted to see someone lay it on the line and really shake the race up.

I think what the race demonstrated was that the other runners, despite what they say, really do fear / respect Mo.
DeeeeJaaaay
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:21PM - in reply to Simple Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Soi beat him earlier this year. The other Africans saw this and were all like "bitch please I'm faster than Ed Soi". So they all thought they could beat Mo in a sprint.

That's what happened. True story.
DC Trainer
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:29PM - in reply to DeeeeJaaaay Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Soi beat Mo when Mo was recovering from sickness and in a specific training cycle. And after Mo ran 3:28, he psychologically delivered a death blow to all the Africans. The 3:28 said, "You all have not much more than zero chance of beating me."
Wishing Well
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:38PM - in reply to DC Trainer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Would have been interesting to see how the race would have developed if the two Kenyans who ran lap 2 in 61 seconds had kept going. My guess is that the pack would have continued to not respond until it was too late.

We'll never know.
WADA
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:43PM - in reply to Simple Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Biological passport has scared everyone off making it a hard race
Simple Runner
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:43PM - in reply to Wishing Well Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe it would've turned out like this?

One for the ages:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca9N-iqzXzA

A 58.xx 3rd lap is a thing of beauty. Nobody knew what hit them.
Nutella1
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:51PM - in reply to Simple Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Simple Runner wrote:

Maybe it would've turned out like this?

One for the ages:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca9N-iqzXzA

A 58.xx 3rd lap is a thing of beauty. Nobody knew what hit them.


Not that difficult when you're on drugs:

"In 1993 Ngugi refused to take an out-of-competition drug test,[2] and he then received a four-year suspension for the infraction."
1234567890
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 12:57PM - in reply to Simple Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I wonder why they didn't surge past him with 800 to go and surround him in a box, keep the pace to stay somewhat slow (58-ish), then sprint the last 150, while Mo has to work outside and accelerate on the homestretch.

Instead, they let him have the front and they all had to do the extra running.


And Galen was almost a second behind everyone with 400m to go and ended up about 2 seconds out of the medals. Why did he give up the front right at the crucial moment?
How Obvi
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 1:02PM - in reply to Simple Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Simple Runner wrote:

Brilliant! "Let's see if we can run down the 10K champ w/ 3:28 1500 speed. Maybe it will work this time."

After the first 2k I was rooting for Mo. No one had the audacity to try something new.

John Ngugi where have you gone?


Agreed. Everyone in the race who failed by running a typical, gutless, sit-n-kick championship race got exactly what they deserved: A place in history as an "also-ran."
Captain Super Duper Obvious
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 1:03PM - in reply to 1234567890 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

1234567890 wrote:
...
And Galen was almost a second behind everyone with 400m to go and ended up about 2 seconds out of the medals. Why did he give up the front right at the crucial moment?


Perhaps because on this particular day, against this particular competition, Galen was out of his league.

You might want to try taking off your USA fanboy goggles for just a moment and try to see the world as it actually is.
Wishing Well
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 1:07PM - in reply to Nutella1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Nutella1 wrote:

Not that difficult when you're on drugs:

"In 1993 Ngugi refused to take an out-of-competition drug test,[2] and he then received a four-year suspension for the infraction."


Maybe so.

But today they had two Kenyans who could have worked together to put together a 12:50 race. The pack did not respond for one lap. If they failed to respond for one or two more it may have been too late.

Would have been nice to see.
Simple Runner
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 1:35PM - in reply to Nutella1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
But wait, aren't Mo and the others all supposed to be doping as well?

And in the Seoul Olympics Ngugi was but Dieter Buamann, Schumann and Castro weren't. Hmmm.
A Duck
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 1:41PM - in reply to How Obvi Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

How Obvi wrote:


Simple Runner wrote:

Brilliant! "Let's see if we can run down the 10K champ w/ 3:28 1500 speed. Maybe it will work this time."

After the first 2k I was rooting for Mo. No one had the audacity to try something new.

John Ngugi where have you gone?


Agreed. Everyone in the race who failed by running a typical, gutless, sit-n-kick championship race got exactly what they deserved: A place in history as an "also-ran."



Yeah, Alberto needs to sit him down in front of a monitor and have him watch a bunch of races, including his own, and say "do this, don't do this."

I think Mo used to have the right tactics, and then couldn't hold it, Rupp needs to get to that point, and then if it is meant to be his fitness will get there and he can contend for a medal on a regular basis.
mellow seeds
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 1:42PM - in reply to Simple Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Canova already layed this out. Right now he isn't beatable regardless of what you do. So why kill yourself trying to run 12:50 only to come in second when you can run 13:25 and come in second. Either way it won't matter.
Mods please delete flagpole
RE: We haven't beaten Mo with the old tactics, so let's try the old tactics again! 8/16/2013 1:44PM - in reply to Wishing Well Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Wishing Well wrote:


Nutella1 wrote:

Not that difficult when you're on drugs:

"In 1993 Ngugi refused to take an out-of-competition drug test,[2] and he then received a four-year suspension for the infraction."


Maybe so.

But today they had two Kenyans who could have worked together to put together a 12:50 race. The pack did not respond for one lap. If they failed to respond for one or two more it may have been too late.

Would have been nice to see.


That would have been 5 years following this race. Then again Bauman was a doper, and Kunze from GDR? What do you think.

Maree had a great race a long forgotten 5th.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |