Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
LetsRun.com
your benevolent dictator
Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/28/2013 3:06PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/28/mo-farah-usain-bolt-race

Guardian wrote:
Farah, the Olympic 5,000m and 10,000m champion, suggested that the fairest distance for him to face the man who took gold over both 100m and 200m at the last two Games would be between 600m and 800m.

800 would be a joke. Farah would kill Bolt.
400 Bolt would win.

600 ?? We think Farah. Shouldn't it be less than that??

What distance is best between there? I bet John Kellogg could figure it out within 10 meters.
50 shades of EPO
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/28/2013 3:11PM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Gambit
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/28/2013 3:12PM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
600m with hurdles. Bolt.
killarney
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/28/2013 3:13PM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, 600 is well out of Bolt's range - that is a mid-distance event and a 3:28 guy would destroy him. 500 still favors Bolt slightly though. I'll go with 535m.
Guppy
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/28/2013 3:16PM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'd think 500m would be best, but I think it favors Bolt. Do we really know Farah's 400m ability?

I seriously doubt this will happen anyway.
coach d
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/28/2013 3:55PM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The more likely prospect would be a dance-off.

Look, 75% of Bolt's fans in Jamaica want him to do 400: They wanted him to do it this year, and he won't. The reason he started doing the 100 was to avoid the 400. The longest he goes in training, from what I've heard from interviews in Europe, is 450--and that's tempo, not over 80 or 90%. No chance in hell he's racing longer than 400, because he'd have to go longer than that to train for it.

The letsrun people are once again displaying how little they know about much of anything.
Skater
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/28/2013 3:57PM - in reply to Guppy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Guppy wrote:

And that's what's wrong with track.
Bitter disappointed Bolt turned down Rudisha. Just plan it ahead, make a huge ego (ahum charity) event out of it. Everyone wins. It's OK to lose to a WR holder.
trossi
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/28/2013 4:00PM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
have them both run a 400 in 80 seconds and then immediately line up for a 400
dsrunner
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/28/2013 4:07PM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Farah runs about 23sec 200 from a stand. Bolt runs 20 from a stand.
differential is 15%

Farah runs about 35 for 300m from a stand. Bolt runs about 33 300m from a stand. differential is 6%

So a better answer is 450m. Farah will go 55.5sec (400 48.5( from a stand and Bolt will go 55.4 from a stand (400m 47.5). Bolt leads, holding something back but Farah gains a tad bit of ground after 400m.

By 500m Farah run 1:02 from a stand but Bolt, if he starts at all, will now be following, trying to win with a kick. Farah will have to take it out in 49 to make sure he has energy to hold off Bolt for the win.
fooled again and again
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/28/2013 4:08PM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The distance it takes for the two of them to walk to the media microphones and admit to an international audience that they're doping and that what they've achieved has been attained through fraudulent methods.
Running on Empathy
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/28/2013 6:44PM - in reply to dsrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just make it an even 400.
killarney
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/28/2013 6:58PM - in reply to Guppy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Guppy wrote:

I'd think 500m would be best, but I think it favors Bolt. Do we really know Farah's 400m ability?

Probably not much better than the 50.8 or whatever he closed in. This is about as fast as they get in practice as well. With the standing start I would be shocked if he could break 50. Thus if Bolt were in 45.x shape I don't think 500 would be long enough to come back to Farah. 600 would be too much, Bolt would be finished.
i kinda like running
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/29/2013 4:48AM - in reply to killarney Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Tough call. I think 500m would still slightly favor Bolt, and 600m would slightly favor Mo.

550m?
Choisty
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/29/2013 5:00AM - in reply to i kinda like running Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How about changing it up and making it 1min, furthest wins. Should be close as it is the edge of anaerobic performance
Gasoline Powered
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/29/2013 7:44AM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is a dumb idea. The disappointing Johnson vs Bailey at 150 was intriguing because one of them was likely the fastest in the world at that distance (there were other reason too).

Having these two champions race at a distance that David Rudisha (ha, or even Michael Johson) would win is not all that interesting.

Also, Mo's Titles are impressive, but since he doesn't have any world records, he isn't on strong enough footing to challenge our sport's premier star to a race!
Ben L. Wrong
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/29/2013 7:46AM - in reply to Choisty Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Put a 600m race in January, next year.

Give Bolt 4 weeks of especific aerobic training.

And Bolt will outkick Mo.

Do you realize that Bolt ran 43.6 in a leg relay during 2010 preseason?

Mo is not capable of breaking 49 seconds!!

So for Mo, cruising the first 400m in 50.xx could be very exhausting and suicidal.

Remember, Bolt in fact RAN 1:57 for 800 as a high-schooler. In 2003. IIRC Glen Mills put him to run the 800 as a practice.
Eugene Visitor
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/29/2013 7:51AM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If Bolt says he wants to run 600 meters, then have it be 600 meters.
asdfasdfa
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/29/2013 8:12AM - in reply to Eugene Visitor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Didn't Bekele try to do the same thing? Bekele is probably so pissed at Farah.
bigtool05
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/29/2013 8:21AM - in reply to dsrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

dsrunner wrote:

Farah runs about 23sec 200 from a stand. Bolt runs 20 from a stand.
differential is 15%

Farah runs about 35 for 300m from a stand. Bolt runs about 33 300m from a stand. differential is 6%

So a better answer is 450m. Farah will go 55.5sec (400 48.5( from a stand and Bolt will go 55.4 from a stand (400m 47.5). Bolt leads, holding something back but Farah gains a tad bit of ground after 400m.

By 500m Farah run 1:02 from a stand but Bolt, if he starts at all, will now be following, trying to win with a kick. Farah will have to take it out in 49 to make sure he has energy to hold off Bolt for the win.

everything in this post is made up.
bad froome
RE: Farah challenges Bolt to race - what distance is ideal for them? 7/29/2013 8:24AM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

LetsRun.com wrote:

What distance is best between there? I bet John Kellogg could figure it out within 10 meters.

Guys, can't you stop praising Kellogg all the time?

It's just to lame.

"the worlds best coach" whos never done anything to deserve a praise like that.

Kellogg is not unique.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |