Pages: | 1 | 2 |
wejo
co-founder
Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/22/2013 11:22AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
We're trying to get a better content management system in place by the start of Worlds in 2.5+ weeks.

Currently we use Wordpress to host our articles, but we haven't even taken advantage of the categories, tags, etc.

The goal is to have something up using Wordpress as a CMS to help us better cover Worlds. After

So we'd like to be able to send people to our Worlds pages and they can have the latest info there organized much better. Right now if something isn't on the homepage, it's completely lost.

I'm going to post this on some freelance sites, but it would be ideal if an LRCer wanted to do this as I think it would be beneficial if you're a runner and could understand what we're trying to accomlish.

After Worlds, we'd like to extend the CMS to better present subcategories of content on Letsrun: say sprints, college, high school,etc. The last part will be tackling the homepage.

For now, the only priority is beingable to better cover Worlds (and also say any other meet like a Diamond Leageu meet) and organize our content related to meets.

Instead of posting a bunch of requirements, I'm going to leave this open ended as if you're a runner and a designer/developer, you might know better than me the direction this goes. Experience with Wordpress as a customized CMS is best. We'll want to distinguish letsrun from non-letsrun content and organize some things by importance not chronologically.

So email me ASAP if you're interested at weldonjohnson@letsrun.com. Let me know the availability you have the next 2 weeks and your past experience and what you'd charge. If you want to go ahead and outline what you see being done the next 2 weeks feel free.
Knows the scene
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 9:50AM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not a be so called buzzkill - but if you want this done in 2.5wks you're gonna either need: an idiot who will royally F*** everything up, or some fat stacks of cash money to throw down, like serious dough.
marathon improving goat
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 10:09AM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I once bought a new car. Well, it wasn't new, but I just bought it, so it felt new. One door panel had been replaced, so my white car had a red door. It looked like a giant Tylenol.

As I pulled into my driveway, I saw a giant goat in the garage. I thought, "Good Grannies alive, what's that goat doing in here?" It was then that my wife stepped out of the front door and asked what was going on. I said, "There's a goat in the garage!" "A goat in the garage?" "Yeah, a goat in the garage."

Wouldn't you know it, our cat came out of the kitty door. He started going, "Meow, meow, meow!" All crazy like. Then the goat turned its attention to the cat food dish and started chowing down like a horse (well, more like a goat, really). "Meow!" Cat's still going crazy.

I thought about the situation, and decided then and there that if I ever want to PR in the marathon again, I've GOT to increase my mileage!
TYLER,THECREATOR
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 10:19AM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I DEMAND A SUM OF 47,348,876.42 AMERICAN DOLLARS FOR MY CONTRIBUTION TO THIS SITE.
Er...
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 10:33AM - in reply to TYLER,THECREATOR Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey in all seriousness can you please see about getting someone to develop the LRC iPhone app while you're at it?!?!
price floor
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 12:12PM - in reply to Er... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If I were interested I'd quote $4000 to do things the right way. That's basically $50 per hour to drop everything I am doing and help keep things in perspective for the rest of the LRC bunch. However, I am not interested in dropping everything I am doing.

I am posting to inform the minimum project worth while also grounding the overly excited user who makes contact with Wejo the first time and ends up with a verbal agreement.
Take a few deep breaths. Have the brothers put things in writing and request a down payment.

Over and out.
Josh Hamilton's Addiction
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 12:22PM - in reply to Knows the scene Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Knows the scene wrote:

Not a be so called buzzkill - but if you want this done in 2.5wks you're gonna either need: an idiot who will royally F*** everything up, or some fat stacks of cash money to throw down, like serious dough.

You do know the Brojos are extremely wealthy, right? Like $100 millions type wealth. Not because of this site, obviously. But they were fortunate enough to be born into the type of wealth that allowed them to do whatever they want after college--like start a running website.
Knows the scene
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 12:42PM - in reply to price floor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thank you, this is what I am talking about. If you want it done well, you have to pay well - people have such crazy expectations of developers.

price floor wrote:

If I were interested I'd quote $4000 to do things the right way. That's basically $50 per hour to drop everything I am doing and help keep things in perspective for the rest of the LRC bunch. However, I am not interested in dropping everything I am doing.

I am posting to inform the minimum project worth while also grounding the overly excited user who makes contact with Wejo the first time and ends up with a verbal agreement.
Take a few deep breaths. Have the brothers put things in writing and request a down payment.

Over and out.
Carl Spackler
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 12:59PM - in reply to Knows the scene Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You might minimize the troll postings, etc., by writing up a job description with minimum and desired qualifications and ask any serious candidate to trace/map how their experience matches against these qualifications. Another idea is to have any candidate describe a Wordpress/CMS project that they were involved with that is similar to what you have in mind. I'm sure there are some professional web site developers who frequent LRC who would be interested to do this freelance.
price floor
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 1:44PM - in reply to Carl Spackler Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Carl Spackler wrote:

You might minimize the troll postings, etc., by writing up a job description with minimum and desired qualifications and ask any serious candidate to trace/map how their experience matches against these qualifications. Another idea is to have any candidate describe a Wordpress/CMS project that they were involved with that is similar to what you have in mind. I'm sure there are some professional web site developers who frequent LRC who would be interested to do this freelance.

If you are a professional web developer working full-time how do you come up with 80 freelance hours in less than 18 days? Beyond the time constraint, wejo would prefer a community member who has already observed this place. There are people here who can "echo" a few lines of PHP that consider themselves "experienced developers" but then there are those who have at one time or another been specifically conditioned for wordpress development that know the API inside and out. Last post in thread, good luck LR.
AreCEF
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 2:51PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is laughably dumb.
Brent W
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 3:04PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I write software for a living. A good designer/developer will not take a task like this on such a short timeline. Keep in mind people who are good at this stuff can't work full time for 2 weeks immediately because they are already gainfully employed.
killarney
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 3:12PM - in reply to Brent W Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Brent W wrote:

I write software for a living. A good designer/developer will not take a task like this on such a short timeline. Keep in mind people who are good at this stuff can't work full time for 2 weeks immediately because they are already gainfully employed.
He's not trying to redesign the whole site before worlds, just get a few of the CMS features of Wordpress going.
Fluffy
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 3:14PM - in reply to Josh Hamilton's Addiction Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Josh Hamilton's Addiction wrote:

Knows the scene wrote:

You do know the Brojos are extremely wealthy, right? Like $100 millions type wealth. Not because of this site, obviously. But they were fortunate enough to be born into the type of wealth that allowed them to do whatever they want after college--like start a running website.

How are the Brojos that rich? What did their parents do?
project overview
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 3:27PM - in reply to killarney Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

killarney wrote:
He's not trying to redesign the whole site before worlds, just get a few of the CMS features of Wordpress going.

Chicken running around with head cut off asks blind monkey for directions.
wejo
co-founder
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 5:55PM - in reply to killarney Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Brent W wrote:

I don't think this is 2 weeks of full-time work.

Plus, developers could be between jobs, have some free time, want to take this on because they are into running, etc.

We've received quite a few good responses some from firms, some from free lancers.
syke
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 6:46PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Tyson Gay's in between jobs and available.
Yougotit
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 7:32PM - in reply to syke Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

syke wrote:

Tyson Gay's in between jobs and available.

10/10
SomeCoach
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/23/2013 8:02PM - in reply to Yougotit Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is the problem with the damn country right now. There is no way you're going to tell me that some kid just didn't graduate from college, hasn't landed a gig in the "horrible economy" who wouldn't like to make a contribution for Letsrun and make a few bucks while he/she was doing it.

C'mon, some of you 20-somethings who have crawled back to your parents house, aren't paying back the ridiculous debt your accumulated for school, spend hours a day on this site and are whining about not finding a job that you find personally fulfilling ... jump right on in! You can dooo it mahn!
cakjnsdaknc
RE: Looking for an LRC Wordpress Developer 7/24/2013 7:34AM - in reply to SomeCoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

SomeCoach wrote:

This is the problem with the damn country right now. There is no way you're going to tell me that some kid just didn't graduate from college, hasn't landed a gig in the "horrible economy" who wouldn't like to make a contribution for Letsrun and make a few bucks while he/she was doing it.

C'mon, some of you 20-somethings who have crawled back to your parents house, aren't paying back the ridiculous debt your accumulated for school, spend hours a day on this site and are whining about not finding a job that you find personally fulfilling ... jump right on in! You can dooo it mahn!

Any kid with mild technical experience probably has a job if he applied. If he hasn't, then he lacks any determination anyway. The people sitting at home found a wonderfully irrelevant major to compete in today's job market.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |