Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Very cool story
Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 1:00PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/story/_/id/9475682/endurance-sports-california-runner-end-45-year-daily-streak

He placed 7th in the 72 Olympic trials which as we know, Shorter won and former division 1 Cross Country champion.

We all bow to you sir!!! Heal up and start another one!!
J.R.
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First on since 1968!!!!! 7/20/2013 10:03PM - in reply to Very cool story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Mark Covert yelled "track!" at me once when I was doing a 10 mile time trial. I think they were there for 15 minutes and left.

My training partner and I trained at UCLA quite a bit for awhile. One time that we ran a 2 mile time trial, his friend who ran a lot of miles was lagging behind, so we cheered him in at the finish. However, he kept going to the wall at the end of the track, turned around, round around the outside of the track in the opposite direction, out the gate at the start of the backstretch, and disappeared into the distance.

My training partner saw him later that afternoon, 3 hours later, still running. He ran the 2 mile time trial, granted not that fast but it was fast for him, kept running, and was still running 3 hours later.

Come on, Covert, don't be a wimp. You're almost there so you might as well go for 50. Soak your foot in icewater and get out there. You can do it!
akdsc
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First on since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 10:13AM - in reply to Very cool story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
All runners should be as lucky as him.

Great story.
T-Rex
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First on since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 11:59AM - in reply to akdsc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

akdsc wrote:

All runners should be as lucky as him.

Great story.

Something he said, 'Not something I have to do but something I GET to do.."
Yes, good fortune including avoiding really high fevers, serious illnesses, leg fractures & the incidence of major surgery & the recovery time after those.
Anyhow there is wear & tear and this to me is sad that it's probably this which is going to end Mark's 45 yr. old running streak.
My late running acquaintance, 'Gunner' Shaw would have been interested in how Mark Covert's career panned out.
Dedicated Runner
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 1:41PM - in reply to Very cool story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In my high school running days in the early 70's he was known by our high school team as 'Mad Dog' Covert.

I started running twice a day, and the teamalso called me 'Mad Dog'. I bore that sobriquet with pride as it gave me a modest connection to the real 'Mad Dog'.
Nothing Better
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 1:41PM - in reply to Very cool story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
An interview with his Alma Mater. About 8 and a half minutes in he talks about being the first Nike athlete.

http://vimeo.com/41922553
Greg Brock
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First on since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 2:03PM - in reply to T-Rex Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Congratulations to Mark on both the streak and voluntarily ending it. The article said that Mark in 7th place in the 72 trials marathon was the first runner in Nikes. I was 5th and wore Nikes as well.
Lorenzo the Magnificent
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First on since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 2:22PM - in reply to Greg Brock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

1 Kenny Moore OR 2:15:57.8
1 Frank Shorter CO 2:15:57.8
3 Jack Bacheler CO 2:20:29.2
4 Jeff Galloway CO 2:20:29.2
5 Greg Brock CA 2:22:29.6
6 Don Kardong CA 2:22:41.8
7 Mark Covert CA 2:23:34.8
8 Tom Hoffman WI 2:23:44.9
9 Norm Higgins CT 2:24:07.8
10 Skip Houk NV 2:24:40.8

Greg, how did that race go for you? It looks like Moore and Shorter were the class of the field? Did you have reasonable expectations of Top 5, or even making the team? Did you go out slow and pick off runners, or did you go out with the heavy hitters and tail off? How did you choose Nike (or did Nike choose you)? What do you remember about that day?
The sea yields to knowledge
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 2:37PM - in reply to Very cool story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I hope his foot injury heals up and he can start running again.
no one
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 3:06PM - in reply to Very cool story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm pleased Mark is getting the coverage he deserves, in the final days of "The Streak". I was fortunate enough to train and race with him. He never ever shied away from work and put in tons of miles - however probably #3 or 4 on our team and assuredly #2. It was the days of experimentation with very extensive mileage. We had pretty decent achievements with those workouts/efforts.

Interestingly, the guy who is @ #2 in the US (for streaks) is a guy Mark went to Jr. College with. Small world. Mark has been 'hurting' for a number of years with escalating foot probs. If you ever saw his feet you'd understand. Age has caught up.

He was almost always energetic and enthusiastic about running - infectious would be a good word. In true Covert character he has a plan 'B' to continue in his fitness training. Never one to stand by the sidelines. Its prob killed him a bit being a coach, although I'm sure his love for the sport is palpable.

Great job, Mark - I'm starting my streak today, for the xxxxx time. I'll spare the great and memorable stories of your on and off the track/course/roads.
BurbankTom
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 6:55PM - in reply to no one Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He has not taken the day off yet as Tuesday is 45 years and the last day for now. We are meeting at Antelope Valley College where he coaches for the final run of the streak and many are expected to be there. For now Mark is now cycling to keep training going and will have foot surgery in the near future.

Jon Sutherland is the other runner with the near 45 year streak.
BurbankTom
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 6:57PM - in reply to BurbankTom Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Also, Mark was the first to cross a finish line in Nike Waffle sole shoes.
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 7:32PM - in reply to Very cool story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I remember reading about Mad Dog back in the day, and have been in awe of his streak for the past many years. VERY impressive, and sorry it had to end. Kudos for his dedication all these years.
See Spot Run
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 8:39PM - in reply to Very cool story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Who?
Greg Brock
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First on since 1968!!!!! 7/21/2013 9:50PM - in reply to Greg Brock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hi Lorenzo, There is an interesting story about my race, however this is Mark's thread. If you are interested find my email at the santa cruz track club website and I'll pass it on. Greg
-
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First on since 1968!!!!! 7/22/2013 8:53AM - in reply to Greg Brock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dedicated Runner
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/22/2013 9:35AM - in reply to Very cool story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
video of Mark's streak and his earlier running days begins at 8:04.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYmgZSJlDDs
T-Rex
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/22/2013 1:30PM - in reply to Dedicated Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Dedicated Runner wrote:

video of Mark's streak and his earlier running days begins at 8:04.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYmgZSJlDDs

Thnanks D.R. for sharing this.
What was great was the support Mark got from his family.
He was probably a great coach as well, still is.
Hopefully his surgery will go well.
Sarcastic Third Tit
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/22/2013 10:44PM - in reply to Very cool story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Quitter.

;)
Sarcastic Third Tit
RE: Mark Covert takes a day off from running, the First one since 1968!!!!! 7/22/2013 10:48PM - in reply to Sarcastic Third Tit Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
But seriously, 45 years. Wow! And I'm not even being sarcastic.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |