Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Solomonism
How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 8:30AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He has a 13:32 PB. Those guys have 13:11/13:12 PBs. They are in Europe racing trying to get into the fastest race possible. They didn't get in. Andrew Bayer did. What the hell?
budge11
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 8:33AM - in reply to Solomonism Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'll go ahead and ask it: who?
stupidned
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 8:35AM - in reply to Solomonism Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe he asked nicely.
asdfasdf
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 8:36AM - in reply to stupidned Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No way! He's in it??? Bumby and Mead probably need to recover.
just sayingg
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 9:26AM - in reply to Solomonism Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bayer is an NCAA 1500 champion. He was 4th at the Olympic trials last year. He just ran 3:34 and is the shape of his life. He's also trying to get a shoe deal so running a solid 5k time will greatly help his prospects.




Solomonism wrote:

He has a 13:32 PB. Those guys have 13:11/13:12 PBs. They are in Europe racing trying to get into the fastest race possible. They didn't get in. Andrew Bayer did. What the hell?
Trialswatcher
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 9:32AM - in reply to just sayingg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bumbalough and Mead just Pr'ed at 5K what? Two weeks ago, all out efforts..

I am surprised to see Ben True up for yet another one, he has run a lot.
Montesquieu
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 9:34AM - in reply to asdfasdf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Any chance Bayer was added as a pacesetter?
Solomonism
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 9:35AM - in reply to Trialswatcher Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yep, but Mead said at the time that he wanted in Monaco but ended up running a 3000 in Ireland earlier this week. Presumably, since he said he wanted in and was in fact up for a 3000, he would have preferred to run Monaco had he gotten in. Also, True was in that same race and barely nipped Mead and Bumbi at the line. Bumbi's only raced a few times this year and I imagine he wanted in, too.
Trollist the First
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 9:48AM - in reply to Solomonism Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Solomonism wrote:

He has a 13:32 PB. Those guys have 13:11/13:12 PBs. They are in Europe racing trying to get into the fastest race possible. They didn't get in. Andrew Bayer did. What the hell?


Andy Bayer is trying to break the NCAA 3000m record. Mead and Bumbalough are not attempting to break records and their measly PRs aren't good enough to justify entry into this meet.
Mrr82
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 9:52AM - in reply to Trialswatcher Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Trialswatcher wrote:

Bumbalough and Mead just Pr'ed at 5K what? Two weeks ago, all out efforts..

I am surprised to see Ben True up for yet another one, he has run a lot.
'

True, and it was even more recent than that. July 11th, so basically 1 week since his 13:11

Honeslty i'm more surprised that Bayer is in this race based on his recent races. He's run a 1500 (July 6th), 800 (July 16th), 3k (July 13th), and had a long college season.

He can't be the rabbit though....the meet director talked about wanting a meet record. Bayer just ran a 7:47 3k pr. I have to imagine they are looking for 2:35k pace which would max Bayer out if he's lucky before 3k even hits. Unless he'd go through 2k.
Trialswatcher
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 10:14AM - in reply to Mrr82 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Agreed on pacing, unless they only wanted him in for like 1600+? Which I doubt

It is s curious spot for Bayer to be in for all reasons mentioned

1. He has raced three times hard in less than 12 days coming in

2. How did he leap frog others that wanted in, altho I highly doubt that Bumbalough would have gone here with Schumacher philosophy?
Montesquieu
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 11:10AM - in reply to Mrr82 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You're right: according to Alberto Stretti, Rono and Gathimba are the rabbits, with the desired splits being 2:33 and 7:44.

Mrr82 wrote:


Trialswatcher wrote:

Bumbalough and Mead just Pr'ed at 5K what? Two weeks ago, all out efforts..

I am surprised to see Ben True up for yet another one, he has run a lot.
'

True, and it was even more recent than that. July 11th, so basically 1 week since his 13:11

Honeslty i'm more surprised that Bayer is in this race based on his recent races. He's run a 1500 (July 6th), 800 (July 16th), 3k (July 13th), and had a long college season.

He can't be the rabbit though....the meet director talked about wanting a meet record. Bayer just ran a 7:47 3k pr. I have to imagine they are looking for 2:35k pace which would max Bayer out if he's lucky before 3k even hits. Unless he'd go through 2k.
rojo
co-founder
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 11:24AM - in reply to just sayingg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

just sayingg wrote:

Bayer is an NCAA 1500 champion. He was 4th at the Olympic trials last year. He just ran 3:34 and is the shape of his life.




End of thread. GREAT POST.

Not that any of these guys sell tickets or move the needle in Europe but it's not about how fast you are. It's about your brand/name as well.

OP, if you are upset that it's not based on PRs, then you do realize that basically the meet would have zero american born athletes in it except for Rupp as they'd fill the field with guys from Kenya.

OP, the other guys ran a 5k last weekend. No need for them to run one here.


A few questions for people.

1) Why didn't Bayer run 5k at USAs? Did he try but USATF nowt let him in as his time wasn't fast enough? His sb the last two years is behind Stilin's. How much of a jerk does the USATF official look like now. He won't let guys with Bayer's sb in but the DL will.


2) Who is Bayer's agent? Got to give him some props for getting him into this one.



-Rojo
PS. I hate how the meets just change the start lists withoug telling anyone. Now my preview is all messed up.
rojo
co-founder
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 11:27AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
One other thing. Do we even know if Bumbi or Mead tried to get in?
Montesquieu
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 11:29AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bayer, like Stilin and Darling, tried to get into the 5000, but USATF said no.

rojo wrote:


just sayingg wrote:

Bayer is an NCAA 1500 champion. He was 4th at the Olympic trials last year. He just ran 3:34 and is the shape of his life.




End of thread. GREAT POST.

Not that any of these guys sell tickets or move the needle in Europe but it's not about how fast you are. It's about your brand/name as well.

OP, if you are upset that it's not based on PRs, then you do realize that basically the meet would have zero american born athletes in it except for Rupp as they'd fill the field with guys from Kenya.

OP, the other guys ran a 5k last weekend. No need for them to run one here.


A few questions for people.

1) Why didn't Bayer run 5k at USAs? Did he try but USATF nowt let him in as his time wasn't fast enough? His sb the last two years is behind Stilin's. How much of a jerk does the USATF official look like now. He won't let guys with Bayer's sb in but the DL will.


2) Who is Bayer's agent? Got to give him some props for getting him into this one.



-Rojo
PS. I hate how the meets just change the start lists withoug telling anyone. Now my preview is all messed up.
Montesquieu
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 11:32AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Paul Doyle (Doyle Management) is Bayer's agent.

rojo wrote:


just sayingg wrote:

Bayer is an NCAA 1500 champion. He was 4th at the Olympic trials last year. He just ran 3:34 and is the shape of his life.




End of thread. GREAT POST.

Not that any of these guys sell tickets or move the needle in Europe but it's not about how fast you are. It's about your brand/name as well.

OP, if you are upset that it's not based on PRs, then you do realize that basically the meet would have zero american born athletes in it except for Rupp as they'd fill the field with guys from Kenya.

OP, the other guys ran a 5k last weekend. No need for them to run one here.


A few questions for people.

1) Why didn't Bayer run 5k at USAs? Did he try but USATF nowt let him in as his time wasn't fast enough? His sb the last two years is behind Stilin's. How much of a jerk does the USATF official look like now. He won't let guys with Bayer's sb in but the DL will.


2) Who is Bayer's agent? Got to give him some props for getting him into this one.



-Rojo
PS. I hate how the meets just change the start lists withoug telling anyone. Now my preview is all messed up.
WhyNot?
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 1:08PM - in reply to Montesquieu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Euro meets want white guys to fill their roster whenever possible. Probably looked like Bayer had a lot of upside and Americans now are carrying a better reputation - so why not?
Solomonism
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 1:15PM - in reply to WhyNot? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Rojo, I think you're off. I have no real problem with Bayer being in the meeting. In fact, of course I love seeing Americans put in positions to be challenged and hopefully rise to the occasion. It's great. But, neither Mead nor Bumbalough have ever gotten into a Diamond League 5000, as far as I know. Rupp, Lomong, Lagat...those guys take the American slots in DL 5000s. So it just seems very strange that Andrew Bayer, who I actually thought was a 1500 specialist, got into the 5000 DL. I know for a fact that Hassan Mead said in an interview that he was really trying to get into Monaco. I am sure if Bumbalough had been offered a spot he would have taken it either in addition to or instead of that Heusden meet. This is NOT bashing Bayer. The guy has a ton of potential and already has set a 1500 mark that goes beyond potential into true all out impressive performance.
Solomonism
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 2:14PM - in reply to Solomonism Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
13:36 for Bayer. This race was really just way too fast for him. Hell, it was too fast for Rupp and True. Mead and Bumbalough could have formed a group with True right behind Rupp, but that's no different than running Heusden really. This was a man's race, and none of our guys seemed to be ready for it.
nwdcwcwklnck
RE: How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi??? 7/19/2013 2:18PM - in reply to Solomonism Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bayer had absolutely no business being in that race. And it showed.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |