a real loner
Best jobs for working alone? 6/6/2013 11:07PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've had several real jobs now. I've realized I enjoy working alone WAY better than working with people or having to report to a boss every day or multiple times per day. I also find I'm actually more productive when I work by myself.

What are some decent jobs that allow one to work with autonomy? I have degrees in biology and chemistry, but I am open to anything.
Tstock
RE: Best jobs for working alone? 6/6/2013 11:28PM - in reply to a real loner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
During the summer you should work at a tobacco farm. I could get through the day without talking to anybody except for people that I wanted to at lunch. Pretty much all day you work in your own rows unless they put you in the barn in which case you're screwed because you have to work in groups. The plants will be good for your biology and you spray pesticides about once a week so you can get your chemistry fix too.
Undercover
RE: Best jobs for working alone? 6/7/2013 12:16AM - in reply to Tstock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Freelance writing and editing. Your only contact with clients is online (especially for smaller clients), you do the work at home, upload, and crack a beer.

Only problem is everyone with a Tumblr fancies themselves a writer now, and are willing to work for free so as to share the joy on their Tumblr. This has massively devalued the market for skilful writing and professional editing. However, mass media still has its wits about it so that's the way to go.
Balian
RE: Best jobs for working alone? 6/7/2013 12:32AM - in reply to a real loner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Night watchman or janitor
800 on PURE HATE
RE: Best jobs for working alone? 6/7/2013 5:25AM - in reply to a real loner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you went into research, depending on the university you may get this. I worked in research and often had days where I didn't see anyone else. I usually saw people twice a week (meetings with my boss). However, not all research is like this at all.
yyy
RE: Best jobs for working alone? 6/7/2013 5:32AM - in reply to a real loner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
philosophy -unfortunately you'd need another degree.
400 on PURE FEAR
RE: Best jobs for working alone? 6/7/2013 5:34AM - in reply to yyy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What about stacking shelves?
the Griffin
RE: Best jobs for working alone? 6/7/2013 6:58AM - in reply to a real loner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I worked in the gift shop/visitor center in an out of the way state park. Most week days we got less than 20 people, occasionally only 1-5 come in. There were a few big festivals were we got 5000+ people, but other than that I just did what I needed to do and sat and read all day. This isn't really something you could make a career of though.
grgrgrgrgr
RE: Best jobs for working alone? 6/7/2013 7:17AM - in reply to a real loner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sometimes I wonder if it would be a park ranger or climbing ranger. I wonder how hard these jobs would be to get? Anybody know? Also forest manager with the government. And surveyor/GIS/geology. I'm thinking that these are good solitary jobs.

I used to have social anxiety. And maybe I'm also lazy. I'm also searching for a career. Right now I'm teaching little kids in Asia. I should have thought more about it. It's kind of too much to handle. Maybe being an accountant for state or city government or a school district would be a good choice. If you don't mind working with numbers on a computer.
Will E
RE: Best jobs for working alone? 6/7/2013 7:35AM - in reply to Tstock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Tstock wrote:

During the summer you should work at a tobacco farm. I could get through the day without talking to anybody except for people that I wanted to at lunch. Pretty much all day you work in your own rows unless they put you in the barn in which case you're screwed because you have to work in groups. The plants will be good for your biology and you spray pesticides about once a week so you can get your chemistry fix too.

You forgot to mention though that when he does have to speak to co-worker, he better be able to converse in Spanish.
Peace Out
RE: Best jobs for working alone? 6/7/2013 8:23AM - in reply to a real loner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You could work in a library shelving books. I did this as a summer job one year and LOVED it.