Pages: | 1 | 2 |
austintxrunner
A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 4:09AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
After seeing all this hubbub about Hasay and her not adjusting to the heat and what not.

It's really not as bad as people think. I just came back from San Francisco (so I do know a thing or two about "perfect conditions", and honestly the ambient temp during the 10k's was just fine (they ran about the same times as Derrick and Levins ran last year, if not a little faster). It gets hot in Texas, but at night it's amazing here in ATX. They started at around 9:30pm, there was a slight breeze and water stations on both straight-aways. It's rained a lot recently, so that helped bring down the temps at night (according to my phone it was ~76 degrees).

If Jordan got killed by the heat, then she needs to get checked out by a doctor for some underlying problem. I think it's more likely she just had a bad day, and that's it. It happens. The other oregonians haven't struggled.

Look at the times over the past few regional meets: Wheating 3:37, Greer 1:46, the 5k's in 2010, Saina and Kohl looked fine, etc. They haven't suffered. Look at the Flotrack interviews too, particularly in 2010 when they first did this, they asked athletes about how the heat was affecting them and most said it was completely fine.
a marathoner
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 8:48AM - in reply to austintxrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bud, the dew point was 70. That's rough for anyone, adjusted or not.
kinvera
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 9:00AM - in reply to austintxrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I agree it's not like she was the only one out in that heat and everyone else was adjusted you know it's going to be hot so you prepare for it I feel it's more of an off thing then all this speculation.
altitude masters
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 10:14AM - in reply to austintxrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A few summers ago I was living in warm clime but at altitude. I was running some decent masters times, 4:40s mile and 34s 10K. And had been running in all conditions (from 50s-60s to 80s or 90s). Went south (New Orleans) for a few days in August and at 6-7 in the morning at 70 degrees could barely complete a 4-5 mile run at a very slow pace.

If you are not acclimated to the humidity your body doesn't know when to turn on the sweat mechanisms and you can overheat in short order. It takes about two or three weeks of consistent (say 4-5 days a week) training in the heat and humidity to adapt.

And maybe she just had a bad day.
ukathleticscoach
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 11:22AM - in reply to a marathoner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
[quote]a marathoner wrote:

Bud, the dew point was 70.

She was not running a marathon

'That's rough for anyone,'

Apart from for most of the field who finished ahead of her
rojo
co-founder
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 11:34AM - in reply to austintxrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

austintxrunner wrote:
It's rained a lot recently, so that helped bring down the temps at night (according to my phone it was ~76 degrees).

After i saw on the messageboard that Hasay didn't make it, i went to google and looked up the weather. " At 10:00 pm Central time, it was still 83 degrees with71% humidity in Austin, TX"
alsdkfjasdadvcasd
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 11:52AM - in reply to austintxrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have no idea if this is true, but someone mentioned to me that the heat can be harder on the smaller athletes. Jordan isn't the biggest girl.

And the heat becomes more and more relevant as the distance goes up. 10k runners are going to struggle with it the most.
a marathoner
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 11:54AM - in reply to ukathleticscoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ukathleticscoach wrote:

[quote]a marathoner wrote:

Bud, the dew point was 70.

She was not running a marathon

'That's rough for anyone,'

Apart from for most of the field who finished ahead of her

The heat/humidity affects some people worse than others, and being a likely unacclimated West coaster, she probably felt it a lot worse than others. Knowing she's struggled in the heat in the past, she should have done everything possible to prepare. It's not just a "bad day" when it consistently happens. 70 dew point is no joke, whether racing a 10K or marathon. There was a thread on Letsrun with the following description:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=3137350

Dewpoint
a marathoner
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 11:55AM - in reply to a marathoner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dewpoint under 55*F: Go for it!
Dewpoint in the 60sitll be tough for racing, training runs OK
Dewpoint in the low 70shard training will be tough
Dewpoint in the upper 70s.anything other than a recovery run will be a struggle
Dewpoint in the 80seven a recovery run is tough
time trials suck
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 11:56AM - in reply to austintxrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

austintxrunner wrote:

After seeing all this hubbub about Hasay and her not adjusting to the heat and what not.

It's really not as bad as people think. I just came back from San Francisco (so I do know a thing or two about "perfect conditions", and honestly the ambient temp during the 10k's was just fine (they ran about the same times as Derrick and Levins ran last year, if not a little faster). It gets hot in Texas, but at night it's amazing here in ATX. They started at around 9:30pm, there was a slight breeze and water stations on both straight-aways. It's rained a lot recently, so that helped bring down the temps at night (according to my phone it was ~76 degrees).

If Jordan got killed by the heat, then she needs to get checked out by a doctor for some underlying problem. I think it's more likely she just had a bad day, and that's it. It happens. The other oregonians haven't struggled.

Look at the times over the past few regional meets: Wheating 3:37, Greer 1:46, the 5k's in 2010, Saina and Kohl looked fine, etc. They haven't suffered. Look at the Flotrack interviews too, particularly in 2010 when they first did this, they asked athletes about how the heat was affecting them and most said it was completely fine.

Have a few friends from others schools down at Austin. Three who grew up in Cal and two others from Washington.
According to them, it was horrendous for the distance runners and there was endless complaining both leading up to and after the race
chillywilly
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 1:04PM - in reply to austintxrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Racing 5K or less in humidity is tolerable. 10K or longer can be brutal. Poor Jordan.
sista sista
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 1:13PM - in reply to time trials suck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

time trials suck wrote:

there was endless complaining both leading up to and after the race

Wow that great pre race attitude usually leads to success.
Hallam
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 1:17PM - in reply to chillywilly Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

chillywilly wrote:

Racing 5K or less in humidity is tolerable. 10K or longer can be brutal. Poor Jordan.

Who gives a sh*t how Hasay felt!
Everyone ran in the same conditions. She wasn't able to handle it and bitched out. I feel no sympathy for her what so ever.
A Duck
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 1:21PM - in reply to austintxrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

austintxrunner wrote:

Everyone in the running world knows that ideal distance running conditions for 10k on up...are not what Austin had.

This is a meet that used to not be run and is not needed.

Pro's have the advantage of arriving an extra day or two longer than college kids and having a little more time to adjust.

Here's another way to look at it, if you are the NCAA and your #4 best performer of all time is on a current Magazine Cover, and not competing in the national championship finals, you're idiots.

If after the SEC championships, Alabama had to play one more game, before the play-offs (which are coming) you'd think the system was stupid.

The system before wasn't broken, and didn't need fixing.
Um, nope
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 1:36PM - in reply to A Duck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

A Duck wrote:

This is a meet that used to not be run and is not needed. [quote/]

Says you.

[quote]
Here's another way to look at it, if you are the NCAA and your #4 best performer of all time is on a current Magazine Cover, and not competing in the national championship finals, you're idiots.

Yeah, because that's how it works in every other NCAA Championship?

If after the SEC championships, Alabama had to play one more game, before the play-offs (which are coming) you'd think the system was stupid.

No, I would think that is a playoff, which plenty of people think might be good for college football.

The system before wasn't broken, and didn't need fixing.

Olympics, World Championships, US championships, and even college conference meets have (gasp) prelims. These Regionals are an improvement on the old selection process.

A Duck, I have no personal qualms with you, and often enjoy your insight when you're not bickering or name calling, but you're way off on this one.
Dang Heat
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 2:33PM - in reply to austintxrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I keep forgetting Hasay was the only one who ran in the heat! That's so weird that the other 47 girls had great conditions
austintxrunner
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 2:45PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
having personally been in the stadium and checking my phone, I'm sorry but wherever you checked wasn't referring to the temp in the stadium.
Electrolyte bath
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 5:56PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As an ultra runner down here in Texas, I can tell you that the combination of warmth and humidity can really suck, especially having to train thru the summer down here for a mountain 100 miler up at elevation in Colorado in July/August. The warmth and humidity can sometimes "hang" up there at night.

A question I would have is . . . . was she advised to hydrate and load up on electrolytes, salt or S-Caps! beforehand?

But then again, anyone can have a bad day.
kevino
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 6:05PM - in reply to Electrolyte bath Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
isn't the meet suppose to be starting now? the live feed isn't doing anything
oatmeal + water
RE: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad) 5/25/2013 6:10PM - in reply to austintxrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i have no doubt she would have fared better in the heat without her rapunzel-esque hair.

i think girls look better with long hair, but i think she's pushing the limit with hers. it's like down to her tailbone. the combination of extra heat and weight probably got to her.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |