Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
See Spot Run
How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 12:00AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I believe there can certainly be multiple sub-4:00 runners this year if there is good weather at the Adidas Dream Mile.

Ed Cheserek
Bernie Montoya
Jacob Burcham
Andres Arroyo
Sean McGorty
Ben Malone
Jacob Thomson

Wildcards:
Ben Saarel
Blake Haney
Eugene Hamilton III

Ed Cheserek, Bernie Montoya, and Jacob Burcham all have not PR'ed yet this year, correct? Anybody know what's wrong with them?

My Prediction:
I'm going to go with 3 runners breaking 4:00 - Ed Cheserek, Bernie Montoya, and Andres Arroyo. Eugene Hamilton III pulls off a big kick to go from last place with a lap to go to 4th place at the finish in 4:01.
whatthewhatthewhat
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 12:21AM - in reply to See Spot Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How many HS runners have broken 4 in the mile? Five.

And you think THREE are going to do it in one year?
isyhdhdjsk
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 12:43AM - in reply to See Spot Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

See Spot Run wrote:

Ed Cheserek, Bernie Montoya, and Jacob Burcham all have not PR'ed yet this year, correct? Anybody know what's wrong with them?

Cheserek improved like 3 secs in the indoor 2M (by racing non high schoolers), unfortunately breaking Lindgren's 8:40i, in a performance still inferior to Lukas V's 8:40i over Cheserek in 8:42 which was part of a triple win at nationals indoors. Color me skeptical about Cheserek's real age, me thinks he shouldn't have been competing at least the last two years, and if I'm right that would explain why there hasn't been any real improvement from him.
See Spot Run
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 12:45AM - in reply to whatthewhatthewhat Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

whatthewhatthewhat wrote:

Yes, I do think 3 will break 4:00 if the weather is perfect.

Cheserek ran 4:02 or 4:03 TWO years ago as a soph. And has run 4:03 indoors as a Junior as well. I think a 4:03 indoors is already equivalent to a sub 4:00 outdoors and that was as a junior.

Bernie Montoya ran 4:01 as a junior last year. You're telling me he can't drop less than 2 seconds? Not to mention the fact that his PR 3200 was run with his 2nd 1600 in 4:12!!!! And this was last year as a junior.

Jacob Burcham ran 4:01 as a junior as well, right?

Andres Arroyo is a beast and will be sub-4:00 as well.
Raptured
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 12:51AM - in reply to See Spot Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A few guys COULD do it, but no more than 1 will, and it will probably be 0.
reed
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 2:02AM - in reply to Raptured Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i'd put down money that none will do it at the dream mile, but if it does happen, it will only be one of them. not 3. no way.
Selacious
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 5:57AM - in reply to See Spot Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Is eugene hamilton even in the dream mile. I didnt see him in the entry list but it could have been updated
CrossFan
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 6:34AM - in reply to Selacious Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'd like to see their latest 800M best times before making a guess, since I have always believed a drop in 800M times is a good indicator that is is about to happen in their 1600M/Mile.

Another question...5 times high schoolers have run sub-4. How many times have college true freshmen done it? I'd like to see the rate of improvement that extra year makes. That would tell you how much of a help it is for a kid to have that extra year if they are 18+ while still in high school. Like Canadian kids in grade 13, or a Kenyan kid whose age might be a year or so off, etc...
wtfunny
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 7:35AM - in reply to CrossFan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

CrossFan wrote:
Another question...5 times high schoolers have run sub-4. How many times have college true freshmen done it? I'd like to see the rate of improvement that extra year makes. That would tell you how much of a help it is for a kid to have that extra year if they are 18+ while still in high school. .

well, not really; college athletes are running in a vastly different world they high school kids; and so they're times should be incomparably faster. See Mary Cain. I doubt she'd have run anything like she did last week if it was at a high school meet.
Link
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 8:02AM - in reply to See Spot Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I agree with you. Cheserek and Arroyo are capable of it. Will they, though? I'm going to say 'yes'. I think a third will sneak under as well, namely, McGorty. I think that for these guys breaking 4 is more important even than winning. They'll go after it; it won't be tactical. If the weather is favorable, those three will break 4 minutes.
1. Cheserek: 3:57
2. Arroyo 3:58
3. McGorty 3:59
A Duck
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 8:11AM - in reply to See Spot Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

See Spot Run wrote:

My Prediction:
I'm going to go with 3 runners breaking 4:00 - Ed Cheserek, Bernie Montoya, and Andres Arroyo.

Why would you pick them if you know somethings wrong with them?
steve red
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 8:18AM - in reply to See Spot Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
None!!!! 4:00.05
Mr. Obvious
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 8:40AM - in reply to steve red Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
to have 3-4 go under they would have to pace for a 3:55-56. Instead they will come through 3/4 in 3:01 I would guess. It just won't be fast enough and one or none will sneak under.
fgfg
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 9:41AM - in reply to See Spot Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Eugene Hamilton III

started running in 2011

so much for years of base building

i got dirty stuff in my gym bag from 2011
Jersey Jeff
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 10:31AM - in reply to fgfg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Entry List for Dream Mile...

http://www.diamondleague-newyork.com/Live-StartlistsResults/Overview/adidas-High-School-Boys-Dream-Mile/

Note: Burcham and Hamilton not on the list.

Note: Lists Cheserek's birthday as Jan 1, 1993. That's certainly a made up birthday. When I got my dog, I didn't know his real birthday, so I "called" his birthday January 1st as well.
NJ Possible
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 10:34AM - in reply to See Spot Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think it's just Cheserek this year, but I'm hoping Malone is there with 100 to go.
giant johnson
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 10:39AM - in reply to See Spot Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
OP must be in high school.
Age Group
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 10:48AM - in reply to Jersey Jeff Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I can't believe this isn't blowing up the boards! He's ALREADY 20+ and is still eligible!!! So, he was an 18 year old Sophomore?? My kids will graduate before they turn 18! unreal!!!
Bring Back the Mile
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 10:50AM - in reply to whatthewhatthewhat Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

whatthewhatthewhat wrote:

Regardless of whether there is one or more or none sub-4, the Mile wins at the adidas Grand Prix meet.

http://bringbackthemile.com/news/detail/stellar_fields_set_for_saturdays_adidas_dream_mile
table
RE: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season? 5/22/2013 11:02AM - in reply to Age Group Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Age Group wrote:

I can't believe this isn't blowing up the boards! He's ALREADY 20+ and is still eligible!!! So, he was an 18 year old Sophomore?? My kids will graduate before they turn 18! unreal!!!

Where have you been, dude? This has already been discussed way too much on the boards. Yes, his birth date is questionable, but when it comes down to it, he is an registered american citizen. It is what it is.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |