Pages: | 1 | 2 |
ScottDye
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/23/2013 4:18PM - in reply to A Ploy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

A Ploy wrote:

Yeah, and so is the Central Valley of CA (Modesto, Stockton, Fresno, etc). But although the valley itself is a miserable POS, at least you're pretty close to the Sierra Nevada.

Don't recall Fresno being on the list. The three California cities mentioned, Modesto, Stockton and Vallejo were basically commuter cities for people working in the bay area who could not afford a home in the bay area. When it all collapsed, it became apparent they couldn't afford (or really never could have) a home in one of these three cities so they simply quit paying and abandon them. Thus you have three over built cities with high inventory of empty neglected housing owned by banks.
A European Perspective
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/23/2013 4:25PM - in reply to ScottDye Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ScottDye wrote:

A Ploy wrote:

Yeah, and so is the Central Valley of CA (Modesto, Stockton, Fresno, etc). But although the valley itself is a miserable POS, at least you're pretty close to the Sierra Nevada.

Don't recall Fresno being on the list. The three California cities mentioned, Modesto, Stockton and Vallejo were basically commuter cities for people working in the bay area who could not afford a home in the bay area. When it all collapsed, it became apparent they couldn't afford (or really never could have) a home in one of these three cities so they simply quit paying and abandon them. Thus you have three over built cities with high inventory of empty neglected housing owned by banks.

All three cities are absolute hellholes now. Basically gang ridden, violent, and probably not that different than living in Baghdad.
Deep Thinker
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/23/2013 4:44PM - in reply to ScottDye Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ScottDye wrote:

Michigan: 1, 2, 7 10
Illinois: 3, 4, 9 16
California: 5, 6, 8 19
Ohio: 11,17,20 48
New Jersey: 13,15
New York: 10,18
Missouri: 12
Wisconsin: 14
Georgia: 16
Indiana: 19

Scoring 3 deep, cross country style.

Since when did #19 Gary, Indiana get annexed to California?
terry malloy
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/23/2013 6:15PM - in reply to ScottDye Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's hard to quantify misery. I noticed that certain cities qualified (Chicago, Milwaukee, e.g.)in part due to harsh winters. If weather is such an important component of the misery index, why not mention Fairbanks, AK?

Just off the top of my head I can think of a few more worthy candidates for the misery list: East St. Louis, IL (makes St. Louis look like paradise), San Bernardino, CA(filed for bankruptcy, high crime, foreclosures, the pits), Barstow, CA (ugly, ugly, ugly). I also think unemployment figures alone are not the full measure of financial health of a city. I'm sure there are cities with relatively low unemployment rates where the majority of the populace works in low paying service jobs, and of course at our favorite employer, Walmart.
t94bell
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/23/2013 9:28PM - in reply to this is good Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Uses two variables.

Deduces the outlook for an entire metropolis using them.

Logical fallacies at their finest.
dsa23
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/23/2013 9:32PM - in reply to yellowman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm with you. DC is absolutely disgusting.
Robert Thigpen, Jr.
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/23/2013 11:06PM - in reply to terry malloy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

terry malloy wrote:
I noticed that certain cities qualified (Chicago, Milwaukee, e.g.)in part due to harsh winters. If weather is such an important component of the misery index, why not mention Fairbanks, AK?

Not nearly enough darkfolk, that's why. This is Phorbs we're talking about, a notoriously conservative shitrag with a an undisguised scorn for all things libtarded and niggynoggy.

The rankings include a preponderance of cities so steeped in negritude that no sane honky would want to visit, much less settle there. Check it out:

1. Detroit, 82.7% black
2. Flint, Mich., 56.6%
3. Rockford, Ill., 20.5%
4. Chicago, 32.9%
5. Modesto, Calif., 4.2%
6. Vallejo, Calif., 22.1%
*7. Warren, Mich., 28.5%
*8. Stockton, Calif., 12.2%
9. Waukegan, Ill. 19.2%
10. New York, 25.5%
11. Toledo, Ohio 27.2%
12. St. Louis, 49.2%
13. Camden, N.J. 48.1%
14. Milwaukee, 40.0%
15. Atlantic City, N.J. 38.3%
16. Atlanta 54.0%
17. Cleveland, 53.3%
*18. Poughkeepsie, N.Y. 35.7%
19. Gary, Ind. 84.8%
20. Youngstown, Ohio 45.2%

Only Modesto has a lower percentage of black Americans than the country at large (12.4%), although it must be said that urban areas contain a higher proportion of coloreds. (I'm not counting Stockton because it's a virtual dead heat.)

The asterisks represent cities with Republican mayors. The others are all presided over by Dems or Independents with clear progressive moonbat leanings. This is one more reason to laugh at Phorbs, a wingnutty excuse for a magazine.

This list only includes 7 of the 50 most populous cities in the country, and not only is Lake County not a city (I replaced it with its seat, Waukegan), Poughkeepsie, pop. 32,000+, hardly is either; same with Atlantic City (38,000+).
Jerome Kopf
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/25/2013 8:20AM - in reply to this is good Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Pictures are just that: pictures. Living in Detroit, as I once did, has a existential quality that cannot be matched.
Michi Candor
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/25/2013 8:34AM - in reply to this is good Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"#7 Warren, Mich.

Troy and Farmington Hills are part of the government-defined Warren metro division. Like Detroit, the Warren metro has seen home prices collapse--off 53% the past five years."

WTF does this even mean? Anyone who is familiar with the area knows that Troy and Farmington have nothing to do with Warren. Different cities, different counties.
you are not smart
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/25/2013 11:09AM - in reply to RuKiddingMe!! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

RuKiddingMe!! wrote:

they forgot evey median size city in Illinois, Springfield, Decatur, Danville, Bloomington, Rockford, Champaign, and Peoria....

Hey genius, Rockford is #3.
Jerome Kopf
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/25/2013 8:28PM - in reply to ScottDye Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The most miserable cities cannot be as miserable as the best suburbs with the best golf and country clubs.
chunky dunking
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/25/2013 9:11PM - in reply to Jerome Kopf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
albany.
xfit sock cucker
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/25/2013 10:14PM - in reply to this is good Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
when I saw detroit was #1 I wondered where flint was at, wasn't let down when I hit the button to go to #2. It's good to be from the Grand Rapids area
douglas burke
RE: America's Most Miserable Cities. 2013! 2/26/2013 6:14AM - in reply to xfit sock cucker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
cities most likely to riot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U24MbKWGFNM
Pages: | 1 | 2 |